Type keyword(s) to search

13 Reasons Why In The Media

• Start Topic

I’m bummed bc it is being released so close to summer. I want students of all ages who might watch be able to go and talk to someone they trust, and with a May 18th date, that’s real late for some school districts. I wish they had released the season in March.

• Love 1

Nielsen released some of the ratings info for 13 Reasons Why

(there is also a more detailed chart at the source)

The second season of Netflix’s 13 Reasons Why drew an average minute audience of 2.6 million in the U.S. during the first three days of its May 18 debut, according to figures released by Nielsen.

The premiere episode of Season 2 pulled in 6 million viewers in three days, Nielsen said.

While Netflix and other streaming players don’t share ratings information directly, Nielsen has broken through recently with its SVOD Content Ratings, which shed some light on who is streaming what on multiple services.

Viewership of the show, which details the path that leads to a teenager’s suicide, was markedly young and female. About 65% of its first-weekend audience was female, Nielsen said. And while Netflix’s The Crown attracts an audience that is 75% aged 35 and older, 13 Reasons has the exact opposite profile, with 75% of its viewers being 34 and under. Of those under 34, 52% were between 18 and 34.

Binge-watching also defined the season’s launch, with viewers tuning into an average of four episodes each during the initial weekend, Nielsen said.

• Love 1

Yeah, I wasn't thrilled about a season 2 in the first place, and I'm even less thrilled by a season three. They also didn't set up a season 3 well enough for me to be interested in any of the future stories. Plus, season 3 is going to just be another teen drama, and I'm good on those.

• Love 5
On ‎06‎.‎06‎.‎2018 at 11:07 PM, Last Time Lord said:

Kinda feeling like this should be the final season. Use this to wrap up dangling plot threads and get some closure on everyone’s stories. 

Agreed. If the writers hadn't chosen to end season 2 with all these cliffhangers, then the show should have ended with the season 2 finale. However, since I hate it when shows end on cliffhangers, I'm glad we will get a third season which will hopefully properly wrap all the open storylines and find a fitting ending for the show. I guess season 2 wasn't really necessary in the first place but I still enjoyed watching it. Not everything worked (ghost Hannah being the biggest failure IMO) but I loved that there was much more a sense of community and friendship in season 2. In season 1 every character was so isolated and now they have all come a bit closer together. Plus I never imagined that a brotherly relationship between Clay and Justin could work but it really did and was one of the highlights of season 2 for me. I also enjoyed season 2 because of the actors' performances. In particular, Alisha Boe, Dylan Minnette, Miles Heizer, Brandon Flynn, Kate Walsh and Derek Luke all did a fine job with their respective roles.

So let's hope that season 3 will provide a satisfying ending. There really shouldn't be a season 4.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Why is this show ending?

I think the better question is, why is it still going? The obvious answer is money, because this really is a one season show which has turned into something else to justify its continued existence.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, BaggythePanther said:

I think the better question is, why is it still going? The obvious answer is money, because this really is a one season show which has turned into something else to justify its continued existence.

It really should've just ended after Season 1.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

My main question about the new trailer is why I'm supposed to care who killed that asshole Bryce. Good riddance! I'm going to be annoyed if they try to give him some sad backstory to justify why he was a serial rapist.

I was wondering what the focus for this season was going to be. I was on the fence about do I need another season. Then I saw the tagline Who Killed Bryce Walker? And I may have said 'Yes! I am in!' Does it make me a bad person I'm excited he got his comeuppance finally? Hopefully they don't try to redeem his character like so many Hollywood movies want to do with the bad guys these days.

• Love 1
On 8/2/2019 at 1:56 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

My main question about the new trailer is why I'm supposed to care who killed that asshole Bryce. Good riddance! I'm going to be annoyed if they try to give him some sad backstory to justify why he was a serial rapist.

I like that the general reaction online has been, "who cares who did it, let's just celebrate". I doubt they're going to make Bryce some sympathetic figure. But his being murdered is a perfect "Whodunit" because SO many people had reasons to want him dead. 

Btw, anyone else notice that it looks like they recast Sherri? There was a black girl they showed multiple times in the trailer that I couldn't figure out who she was because I didn't recognize her. And at first I thought maybe it was a new character but then I wondered why they would show a new character that much. It's either Sherri who's been recast or Jessica's runner friend who's also been recast because that's a different actress. 

6 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

I like that the general reaction online has been, "who cares who did it, let's just celebrate". I doubt they're going to make Bryce some sympathetic figure. But his being murdered is a perfect "Whodunit" because SO many people had reasons to want him dead.

Seriously, the only reason that people at school will want to know who killed Bryce is so they can high five whoever it is and crown them king or queen of the school.

But good point - since there are so many people who he was terrible to, that leaves a large suspect pool so that should make for a good mystery.

It would be interesting to see a parallel story to S1 where the people on the tapes were all covering for each other so that none of them would be blamed for Hannah's death. This time around, it could be everyone who hated Bryce covering for each other because no one wants the killer go to jail for ridding the world of an abusive toxic asshole. Or, as JD said in Heathers, "Football season is over. [He] had nothing to offer the school but date rapes and AIDS jokes."

• Love 2
5 hours ago, BerlinKhan said:

Thoughts?

My thoughts are I'm confused by where these fears that Bryce will be humanized are coming from. Simply because he was murdered? As I noted above, I think Bryce was chosen as the murdered character because his character was the perfect one for a mystery who-dun-it. 

As the most recent promo broke down, at least 5-6 of these characters could have conceivably murdered Bryce - Jessica, Clay, Tyler, Zach, Justin, etc. all hated Bryce enough to want him dead. And that's not even yet getting into Chloe who found out that he raped her even while they were dating. 

The writers needed a hook for the season and figuring out who murdered Bryce when everyone seems guilty is a perfect one. Last season gave all of the characters an individual voice, including showing their parents and even still we saw no redemption for people like Marcus and Bryce. Instead we got to see how much worse they were, if that was possible.

Please remember this show showed Bryce getting hard remembering how he raped Hannah. I refuse to believe that suddenly the writers will "redeem" Bryce. YMMV

• Love 4

The closest to humanizing Bryce is showing the grief his parents will be feeling, especially his mother. I think they will examine how the media and population will martyr Bryce. Whoever ends up murdering him, I suspect the show will try to emphasize that violence is never the answer. 

On 8/20/2019 at 11:54 PM, memememe76 said:

The closest to humanizing Bryce is showing the grief his parents will be feeling, especially his mother. I think they will examine how the media and population will martyr Bryce. Whoever ends up murdering him, I suspect the show will try to emphasize that violence is never the answer. 

1,000% this. 

If they they go into the media sensation side of things, I expect to hear Bryce’s academics and athletics brought up a LOT