Type keyword(s) to search

13 Reasons Why In The Media

• Start Topic

Cast members talk about getting matching tattoos and remaining friends after the show wrapped:

Jessica, Ryan, and Bryce discuss the possibility of S2:

A loooong interview with Jeff:

Bryce discusses social media bullying and suicide on Power 106:

13 Reasons Why panel with Clay, Hannah, Selena Gomez & her mother, Jay Asher, and two of the producers:

Tony and Clay interview:

• Love 1

Terrible Terrible news for me.  Not that I care about his recasting on Riverdale.  But I am vehemently opposed to this show returning.  I think the only acceptable return would be a 2 hour movie wrapping everything up.

• Love 2

I don't think there was ever any real doubt that this show was going to return for a second season. First of all, Netflix is just about the most lenient "Season 2 Renewer" in the game. Even shows most people have likely never heard of get a second chance. And that's not even the case here. 13RW was a HUGE hit for them. It created unprecedented buzz, and became the most tweeted about show in their history.

The only thing that could have realistically blocked a second season was the creative team behind the show flatly refusing to produce more. But they've publicly said they want a Season 2. So, yeah. In my mind, at any rate, it's pretty much a done deal.

• Love 1

I agree.  I resigned myself to the inevitable the second they gave us cliffhangers like Tyler's weapons cache and Alex's gunshot wound.  I was still holding on to the hope that someone would think better of it and not go for the money grab.

• Love 4

Netflix adds more warnings to 13 Reasons Why

There has been a tremendous amount of discussion about our series 13 Reasons Why. While many of our members find the show to be a valuable driver for starting important conversation with their families, we have also heard concern from those who feel the series should carry additional advisories. Currently the episodes that carry graphic content are identified as such and the series overall carries a TV-MA rating. Moving forward, we will add an additional viewer warning card before the first episode as an extra precaution for those about to start the series and have also strengthened the messaging and resource language in the existing cards for episodes that contain graphic subject matter, including the URL 13ReasonsWhy.info—a global resource center that provides information about professional organizations that support help around the serious matters addressed in the show."

I wonder if Alex made his own set of tapes…or maybe everyone on Hannah's tapes makes a tape of their own?  IDK, I was hesitant about a season 2, but it could be good.

I should feel excited, but I'm not. The problems with the first season aside, this sophomore season is most likely not going to be as strong because the first season was still quite unique. I could see them try to stick to the idea of tapes being the narrator and Tyler being the voice there, but otherwise, it's just going to be another teen drama. I'll wait to see how they approach the second season, but part of me is expecting the common sophomore slump that happens with most shows with a unique premise for the first season. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I felt a second season was a given because one, Netflix seems to renew everything (I mean they renewed that mess Haters Back Off that I can't believe anyone watched) and two, the show has been commercially and critically a hit. But I knew it was a definite go when Riverdale announced that the role of Reggie was going to be recast because previously they'd admitted the character was not as visible because they had to work around the actor's schedule, since he was doing 13 Reasons Why at the same time. 

Edited by truthaboutluv

Maybe they could use a different narrative framing device, one where every episode opens in the future, giving you a little more information about what happened, and then goes backward in time for the bulk of the episode. Like Damages. Or that painful remake of The Firm (whose sole saving grace was that it introduced me to the awesome Shaun Majumder).

3 hours ago, OnceSane said:

I wonder if Alex made his own set of tapes

That's a good idea, may be did but I think we say his progression already in his choices. I do hope he's alive for a S2. They show Baker drugs in the video, so I'm assuming the fall out of S2 will still be Hannah with the narrative? 

Honestly, I don't see them wanting to get rid of Katherine Langford so they could just keep her as the narrator. Even if makes no sense, they might try to keep the actress around for season 2, even if I think it'll be better to not force Hannah back into the show. And I adore Katherine and think she was great in season 1. I just also know that forcing her into season 2 is the worst idea. It'll make me hate Hannah and I don't want to. I mean, they could probably insert her in cameo appearances, but I don't think having her there as the narrator is the greatest idea. 

Maybe I should be more optimistic here because they could totally surprise me, but I also feel like I've done that for many shows over the years.

• Love 1

I think this show and the young cast benefited greatly from Clay and Hannah being the lead characters.  I thought all of the actors did a great job but I'm not sure how many of them could carry having much more screen time.  I think the girl who played Jessica could carry more but I'm not sure about anyone else.

I also agree with the notion that TPTB will try their hardest to keep Katherine Langford involved.  But it will probably be to the show's detriment.  I've never done this with a show I liked but I'm seriously considering not giving it a chance because if Hannah is involved, I think it will take away from the weight of the first season.

Desperate Housewives kept the season 1 suicide victim as narrator throughout all the seasons but I don't see it working out well here.  

People magazine had a 2-page spread last week about the controversy surrounding the show.  

40 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

Desperate Housewives kept the season 1 suicide victim as narrator throughout all the seasons but I don't see it working out well here.  

I think the issue is that this show wants to be taken seriously.  It's not relying on some hot thirty something sexing up the 17 yr old landscaper.  

So since Season 2 is a definite go, I will share my probably unpopular hope that the writers don't go with Clay and Skye (that was her name right? Coffee house girl). Sorry, she was sort of meh to me as a character and frankly I saw more chemistry between Clay and Sheri than him and Skye. But who am I kidding. Of course they're going there, considering they had her in the last shot of the season, with Clay, Tony and Tony's boyfriend. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, truthaboutluv said:

So since Season 2 is a definite go, I will share my probably unpopular hope that the writers don't go with Clay and Skye (that was her name right? Coffee house girl). Sorry, she was sort of meh to me as a character and frankly I saw more chemistry between Clay and Sheri than him and Skye. But who am I kidding. Of course they're going there, considering they had her in the last shot of the season, with Clay, Tony and Tony's boyfriend. 

I'd rather see Clay & Skye rebuild their friendship…and just stay friends with no "yearning for more from not-so-afar" from either party.  And I'd love to see Clay/Sherri.

• Love 4

I don't need Clay to have a romantic interest but I wonder if Jessica could ever be a possibility.  She deserves a good guy imo.  And I think those are the two best kid actors whose characters are still alive.

I think the Skye character and the moment at the end played far better in the book. 

2 minutes ago, MV007 said:

I think the Skye character and the moment at the end played far better in the book. 

Skye seemed to come out of nowhere--which was probably the point; she was always there but no one noticed her--I had a hard time getting invested in her.

I had a hard time buying Skye as a high school student through most of this, for some reason.  I don't know why they cast so many heavily tatted and neck-tatted actors.  

25 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

The original idea for S2 was to bring in a completely new cast and do an anthology according to showrunner Bryan Yorkey this EW article

That's so cool, I had actually posted that idea in the book thread before the series aired. I actually still think it could be cool, but I don't think it's what the more rabid fans of the show would accept.

On 5/11/2017 at 10:18 AM, MV007 said:

I don't need Clay to have a romantic interest but I wonder if Jessica could ever be a possibility.  She deserves a good guy imo.  And I think those are the two best kid actors whose characters are still alive.

Hmm, hadn't thought of this but I can see it. I actually think the two actors would have decent chemistry. 

Brandon Flynn (Justin) is dating Sam Smith. 

I remember there were a lot of rumors about Brandon and Miles Heizer (Alex) in the months after the series premiered because there were a lot of cuddly, handsy pictures of the two of them. They insisted they were just friends and at the time I think some weren't sure if Brandon was even gay, while Miles is publicly out to my knowledge. I hope they really were just friends because if there was something romantic between them, that's going to make for some awkwardness on set. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, JustaPerson said:

Dylan Minnette deserved a nom too (if not more), it wouldn't have worked without his performance.

True but there are so many factors that come into play with these things and unfortunately for Dylan, the leading actor in a drama category is pretty stacked. And I suspect Netflix and the show's producers probably put a greater push behind Katherine than him. 

• Love 1
On 12/19/2017 at 11:57 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I feel horrible for this man. I wouldn't wish the anguish he's experiencing right now, and for the rest of his life, on anyone. But I do feel that he's channeling his rage into this Quixotic quest as a way to feel less powerless, and possibly deflect survivor's guilt he may be feeling. I hope he and his family find peace.

• Love 4
On 5/16/2017 at 4:37 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

The original idea for S2 was to bring in a completely new cast and do an anthology according to showrunner Bryan Yorkey this EW article

What I think would have been great for season 2 would be a new story with all new characters but the same cast.  I thought the acting was great & would love to see "Bryce" as a good guy.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, BigDfromLA said:

So when does Season 2 premier? March 13th was five weeks ago and its not here yet.

So I didn't imagine that premiere date. I was starting to think I had just made that up in my head, seeing as we're heading into May and the season hasn't been released. I wonder if this may have to do with all the gun debate/recent mass shooting situation that's occurred and perhaps it's led to some network haranguing/censorship/concerns, etc.  behind the scenes. This isn't a spoiler by the way, just speculation based on how Season 1 ended, showing Tyler and his arsenal of guns, that Season 2 may revolve around a school shooting. 

• Love 2
On 4/29/2018 at 7:35 AM, truthaboutluv said:

So I didn't imagine that premiere date. I was starting to think I had just made that up in my head, seeing as we're heading into May and the season hasn't been released. I wonder if this may have to do with all the gun debate/recent mass shooting situation that's occurred and perhaps it's led to some network haranguing/censorship/concerns, etc.  behind the scenes. This isn't a spoiler by the way, just speculation based on how Season 1 ended, showing Tyler and his arsenal of guns, that Season 2 may revolve around a school shooting. 

A few months ago, there was a revival in the complaints about the show (the depiction of suicide). I'm guessing that it was mostly because Netflix announced the S2 premiere date of March and it got the people who had originally complained about it after S1 to start up again. I don't know why Netflix decided to push back the S2 date though. It's not going to make those people go away.

8 hours ago, starri said:

May 18th.

That's a recent decision.  Netflix makes videos every month announcing what's coming up in the next month, and it wasn't among the ones they mentioned.

It was very recent. They just posted that video on Monday, so I wonder when they finally made the decision to go with May. Since Netflix doesn't have advertisers, they don't need to worry about sweeps but I don't know what other factors they take into consideration when deciding when their shows premiere. Heh, I'm nosy so I always want to know about stuff like that. I'm excited that we finally have (another) premiere date for S2!