Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E09: Earthquake Weather

• Start Topic

Kelly was A Bitch About Dylan/Toni and David/Val, but in my memory, she was even bitchier than what we heard/saw.  I guess it's reached the point where I'm giving her the non-benefit of the doubt when it comes to her being A Bitch About It.

The show literally stole the Brandon/Susan subplot from "Saved By the Bell".  In that case, I believe it's Zach (the native Californian) and Tori (who freaks out about the earthquake) trapped with a pregnant Mrs. Belding.

• Love 2

Kelly, you're an idiot.  Dylan deserves to have that 'soulmate' bullshit thrown in his face but you're the one who basked in the glow of having Dylan and Brandon fighting over you, picked 'you' when they forced your hand, and then went back on it the second the pressure was off by first trying to get back with Brandon and, when he wisely rejected you (side effect of being cheated on), going to New York and jumping on Colin.  At no point did you actually follow through on 'choosing you' and Dylan probably doesn't know you tried to get back with Brandon but he sure as hell knows that you hooked up with Colin as soon as you got to New York a couple weeks after your big pronouncement.  So, if he then chooses to see that you were just spouting bullshit and moves on (however ill advised that may be), he's free to do so.  And, no, you saying that you want to hate Toni but can't doesn't make up for being pissy that the guy YOU rejected didn't get your permission about a major step in his personal life. 

Also?  I just defended Dylan and said something positive about Brandon so I REALLY hate you Kelly.

• Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, TeeVee329 said:

The show literally stole the Brandon/Susan subplot from "Saved By the Bell".  In that case, I believe it's Zach (the native Californian) and Tori (who freaks out about the earthquake) trapped with a pregnant Mrs. Belding.

I thought about that episode too! But I do not recognize the Tori episodes of Saved By The Bell, so this plot did not, in fact, already happen on SBTB.

I definitely did not remember Ray being on this show for so long after he and Donna broke up. I remember the fight with Joe, but I thought he was gone for good after that. Is he still in the credits during these episodes?

Aside from all the other ridiculous Kelly awfulness in this episode (and every other episode #RIPFunHighSchoolKelly), why would/should she hate Toni? Toni has done literally nothing to Kelly to warrant her hatred. Kelly's issue is with Dylan. And even that's bullshit because Kelly chose herself. Dylan can move on with whoever he wants whenever he wants.

I don't remember most of the details of my dream last night, but I do remember that Val and Ginger were there, which means I either watch too much 90210 (nah) or I need to watch much more 90210 (yes!).

Edited by MerBearStare
  • Love 2

Kelly felt like she should hate Toni because she hates any other female besides Donna, and the only reason she doesn't hate her is because Donna is less attractive than her. Val at least was an easy target to hate because she did some pretty messed up things, although I loved her for it. 

1 hour ago, MerBearStare said:

I thought about that episode too! But I do not recognize the Tori episodes of Saved By The Bell, so this plot did not, in fact, already happen on SBTB.

Don't forget that "Tori" was one of the twins Steve tried to scam back in season 3.  It's all connected!

17 minutes ago, AndySmith said:

She doesn't hate Claire. And didn't hate Andrea.

She certainly was a bitch to Claire at the beginning of season 5 due to Claire's flirtations with Brandon.

She doesn't hate Claire. And didn't hate Andrea.

I would argue she had initial misgivings about both Claire and Andrea when she first met them. More dismissive than hatred, but not instant approval. But they were able to win her over by kissing her ass, something Val never attempted.

• Love 3

Mr. Earmuffs Mom got down on one knee to propose to me.  He was a nervous wreck, but it was adorable.  

Dylan's smack down of "you choose you, remember?" is one of my all-time favorite moments.  Kelly needed to hear that the world doesn't revolve around her and no one is going to wait around forever while she goes about not choosing herself.

• Love 2

Well, in Calire's case, I'm not shocked, given that what she knew of Claire at that point was based on what Brandon had probably told her (and at that point it definitely would not have been flattering). And that lasted all of 2 seconds.

I never saw any misgivings or her being dismissive to Andrea. As with the rest of the gang, Andrea was more Brandon's friend, and to a lesser extent, Brenda's as well initially who eventually became part of the group.

And I never saw either of them kissing her ass to win her over. It seemed like genuine friendships between them.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, MerBearStare said:

I definitely did not remember Ray being on this show for so long after he and Donna broke up. I remember the fight with Joe, but I thought he was gone for good after that. Is he still in the credits during these episodes?

He's gone after the court case charging Joe with assault. He redeems himself at the last minute and then he leaves. I remember reading something about how he was supposed to be on the whole season (thus his upgrade in the credits) and they had a whole redemption arc planned. But then Jamie Walters asked to be let go early, so they still redeemed him a little but it was not the original plan. 

And I officially know too much about this dumb show. 

• Love 3

Seriously, wtf is Jennie/Kelly doing to her eyebrows? I've never been a fan of the fully-plucked-drawn-in-pencil style, but I get that it's a thing for some people...except hers are done so poorly. They're like a whole inch above her actual brow bone! Dear make-up artists: Jennie doesn't need your help, she makes bitchface just fine on her own.

1 hour ago, AndySmith said:

I never saw any misgivings or her being dismissive to Andrea. As with the rest of the gang, Andrea was more Brandon's friend, and to a lesser extent, Brenda's as well initially who eventually became part of the group.

Way way back in early season 1- "The Perfect Mom", the slumber party episode- Kelly had quite a bit of disdain towards Andrea being included in "cool girl" activities, but she accepted her into the gang after awhile. Not enough for Andrea not to freak about Jackie's wedding, but whatever.

12 hours ago, Halo said:

Kelly's mean eyebrows are the worst, but they do add to the bitch face effect. 

This pic of some actual 1995 court finalists shows they weren't half as mumsy as depicted on the show. Not saying they look super fashionable, but I doubt they're all wearing ankle-grazing sister-wife shmattas. 

Junior-high me is so jealous of that girl's bangs. 

14 hours ago, benteen said:

I've see the actress who plays Ray's therapist before but can't place where.

I thought so too, but IMDb tells me she was in two tv episodes and one TV movie. Unless she was my neighbor at some point I guess I'm just adding her into the 90s brunette category.

• Love 1

Interesting.  I guess she just has a familiar face.

I'm going to miss all the Dylan bashing on these recaps.  The line about Old Man Dylan and what a weird insect creature that he is.

My husband got down on one knee when he proposed. And talked to my parents before he popped the question. He appreciates tradition, and my parents are/were definitely from that generation -- born in 1926 and 1930. He felt it was the respectful thing to do.

Man, Kelly really is the worst. I don't understand why men fall at her feet. Reminds me of Robin on HIMYM. I never got why she was presented as the woman men were willing to fight over.

• Love 1

Brandon had moved on and is dating Susan who is smart and beautiful. Dylan has moved on and proposed to his girlfriend. And Kelly? She's dating a so called artist who prostituted himself, cheated on her and couldn't even be bothered to show up to her (boring) birthday party. She really has no choice but to be a bitch about it all. 

• Love 4
36 minutes ago, Nanna said:

Brandon had moved on and is dating Susan who is smart and beautiful. Dylan has moved on and proposed to his girlfriend. And Kelly? She's dating a so called artist who prostituted himself, cheated on her and couldn't even be bothered to show up to her (boring) birthday party. She really has no choice but to be a bitch about it all. 

He is also a drug addict.

• Love 4

Interesting.  I guess she just has a familiar face.

I'm going to miss all the Dylan bashing on these recaps.  The line about Old Man Dylan and what a weird insect creature that he is.

You will spoil eet!

• Love 1
(edited)

I really wish susan stayed on the show and didn't screw brandon over because him getting back with kelly was terrible and I think even he knew it the moment they got into their first back together argument. The guys falling at Kelly's feet is kind of realistic because blonde beauties were the thing at the time (still is, but brunettes are now included).. and guys are always attracted to bitchy personalities. Kelly was always cool before she dated the guy, but once she was in a relationship with them , game over.

What did make no sense was them not falling all over Val as well though. The show expects us to believe that Newly single brandon who just got dumped by kelly who HATES val, wouldn't have slept with her when they were they close to doing it.. okaaaaay.

Edited by Jaclyn88
  • Love 3
On March 6, 2017 at 2:46 PM, desertflower said:

But then Jamie Walters asked to be let go early, so they still redeemed him a little but it was not the original plan. 

IIRC, Walters took a lot of crap from fans about Ray's abuse of Donna - conflating him with the character. I don't blame him for asking to be let out, but I'm still not sure how they could (or should) have extended the storyline. And I will forever be annoyed that Donna ultimately broke up with Ray because he slept with Val, and not primarily because of the abuse.

Doesn't Brandon chide Kelly at one point for always being tough on new people? I think it's in season 5. He also tells Val the same thing about Kelly. She's also tough on Donna's partner in the final season. She may be a bitch, but at least she's consistent.

I hate the elevator ep of SBTB and this subplot too. Of all the plots to steal, why the heck would someone choose this one? (And on a related note: which "beach club" storyline came first? They were even filmed at the same location!)

5 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

And soon, she'll be one too! #cantwait #cokekelly

I know. It is the highlight of the entire series, and it is all downhill from there. Jennie Garth is really good in this story arc too. Credit where credit is due-- she plays a great college girl coke hound.

• Love 1
On Monday, March 06, 2017 at 8:45 AM, scarynikki12 said:

Kelly, you're an idiot.  Dylan deserves to have that 'soulmate' bullshit thrown in his face but you're the one who basked in the glow of having Dylan and Brandon fighting over you, picked 'you' when they forced your hand, and then went back on it the second the pressure was off by first trying to get back with Brandon and, when he wisely rejected you (side effect of being cheated on), going to New York and jumping on Colin.  At no point did you actually follow through on 'choosing you' and Dylan probably doesn't know you tried to get back with Brandon but he sure as hell knows that you hooked up with Colin as soon as you got to New York a couple weeks after your big pronouncement.  So, if he then chooses to see that you were just spouting bullshit and moves on (however ill advised that may be), he's free to do so.  And, no, you saying that you want to hate Toni but can't doesn't make up for being pissy that the guy YOU rejected didn't get your permission about a major step in his personal life. 

Also?  I just defended Dylan and said something positive about Brandon so I REALLY hate you Kelly.

I was going to say the exact same thing.  Although you forgot to add, "and choke on it!" Greatest part of the podcast!

On Monday, March 06, 2017 at 9:41 AM, MerBearStare said:

This made me laugh so hard!  The Tori episodes were also really awful because she could not act and they re-did so many storylines from earlier seasons.

Based on how awful Ray's therapist is, can we assume she went through the same shitty psychology program that Kelly is in?

Aside from all the other ridiculous Kelly awfulness in this episode (and every other episode #RIPFunHighSchoolKelly), why would/should she hate Toni? Toni has done literally nothing to Kelly to warrant her hatred. Kelly's issue is with Dylan. And even that's bullshit because Kelly chose herself. Dylan can move on with whoever he wants whenever he wants.

Kelly is just extremely selfish and self-centered.  She does not want to be with Dylan, but cannot stand the idea that he could be happy with anyone who isn't her.  I really just couldn't with her this episode.   

• Love 1
On 3/6/2017 at 7:45 PM, Jaclyn88 said:

Season 6 she was at her prettiest but season 8 she looks like she aged 10 years . She must have really pissed off the hair department that season 

Is season 8 the season right after she had her daughter? I think it is. 

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 6:51 PM, Moxie Cat said:

IIRC, Walters took a lot of crap from fans about Ray's abuse of Donna - conflating him with the character. I don't blame him for asking to be let out, but I'm still not sure how they could (or should) have extended the storyline. And I will forever be annoyed that Donna ultimately broke up with Ray because he slept with Val, and not primarily because of the abuse.

Doesn't Brandon chide Kelly at one point for always being tough on new people? I think it's in season 5. He also tells Val the same thing about Kelly. She's also tough on Donna's partner in the final season. She may be a bitch, but at least she's consistent.

I hate the elevator ep of SBTB and this subplot too. Of all the plots to steal, why the heck would someone choose this one? (And on a related note: which "beach club" storyline came first? They were even filmed at the same location!)

This.  It was Ray cheating on her that was the main reason for Donna breaking up with him.  It wasn't the abuse although it became about that afterwards.

Most of the story lines on this show are questionable , but I can kind of understand the Donna / ray reason for their break up . Obviously watching it , it makes no sense why she would stay with him after the abuse , but she was a 19 year old girl who was head over heels for him . When I was that age I put up with a lot of shit because u think u can change the person . I think the cheating wasn't the reason for the break up , more like the icing on the cake 

I think, realistically, you're right that (sadly) IRL, cheating might matter more. But for a show that often tried to tackle lessons and "very important topics," they dropped the ball on a great, empowering resolution to the abuse storyline. For my money, part of what made the Ray storyline decent is that it was complex - you could root for him as a character long before the abuse happened. He wasn't a one-dimensional "abusive boyfriend." There were reasons in his childhood that explained why he was the way he was. And there were many episodes where Ray was an OK guy. So it was easy to understand why Donna gave him chance after chance. But Kelly actually had the moment that should have been Donna's - when Donna tells her about the abuse and Kelly says "it's not OK for him to hit you, not ever." So while I get it that a girl might be more pissed about the infidelity, I think the show dropped the ball on the conclusion to a long-running and decent storyline.

• Love 2

I think cheating is Donna's hot button issue.  Not that most people let that slide, but for Donna is cuts really deep.  I wish they didn't have that talk where Kelly said something about how it's normal to lose yourself when you love someone (or some crap like that).  I do think that they planted some red flags but didn't have Ray go full on nuts right away.  I actually wish Ray had no cheated on Donna- the storyline would have been stronger and Val wouldn't have had to straddle the aisles of being the person who was urging Donna to end the violence and the person who betrayed Donna. 

• Love 3
On 3/10/2017 at 3:21 PM, desertflower said:

Yeah I'm watching the end of 7 on Pop right now and you can tell she's pregnant. 

There is a scene in the graduation episode where they are walking in and if you freeze it just right, you can see Jennie's baby bump is very pronounced.  I thought it was tacky to have her go through a miscarriage storyline while she was that far along too.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Qoass said:

Why the hell was Brandon at the business end of delivering the baby?!?!?  Jeez, Susan, it's scary stuff but come on.  

PATRIARCHY IS this not even occurring to me until I read your post.

• Love 3
On 3/6/2017 at 11:00 AM, Earmuffs Mom said:

Mr. Earmuffs Mom got down on one knee to propose to me.  He was a nervous wreck, but it was adorable.  

Dylan's smack down of "you choose you, remember?" is one of my all-time favorite moments.  Kelly needed to hear that the world doesn't revolve around her and no one is going to wait around forever while she goes about not choosing herself.

The College Years are when I really start to not understand what the writers are doing with Kelly. By the time the gang graduates she is the biggest bitch on the plant, but the show always seems to think she’s perfection. It’s a very weirdly written character since she’s always present as being so incredibly selfish but as if we’re supposed to find it all charming.