Type keyword(s) to search

The Catch - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I don't know how I feel about this being canceled. I genuinely didn't know it was legal to cancel a Shonda Rhimes show. 

While this season was infinitely better than season 1, I still feel like the show was all over the place and trying really hard to find it's voice. It must have been difficult when the writers realized that their lead actress, Alice was the worst part of the show (in addition to her horrible lipstick and chapped lips, ugh) and they had something far better in Margo, Rhys, and even Ben. 

Maybe I could have believed Tessa was 15 if she didn't have so much damn makeup on all the time. Tommy was beyond annoying, as was Sophie (is that her name, the one that got shot?) Couldn't care less.

They could carve out a new and interesting concept with the rest of the cast and leave Alice and Tommy out. Oh well, the show struggled with its creative vision from the very start and it was never able to recover no matter how wonderful some of the actors. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I, too, really enjoyed this season and liked the fun of the twists and the attitudes of the characters.  I'm sorry it was cancelled and will blame that on the character of Alice's brother just because I can.

For me Danny and Sophie were the most boring. And Justine with Ben somewhere close. Would have loved a spin-off with Margot. Some Ethan would also be nice. He was more of a plot device this season

4 hours ago, msani19 said:

While this season was infinitely better than season 1, I still feel like the show was all over the place and trying really hard to find it's voice. It must have been difficult when the writers realized that their lead actress, Alice was the worst part of the show (in addition to her horrible lipstick and chapped lips, ugh) and they had something far better in Margo, Rhys, and even Ben. 

Maybe I could have believed Tessa was 15 if she didn't have so much damn makeup on all the time. Tommy was beyond annoying, as was Sophie (is that her name, the one that got shot?) Couldn't care less.

They could carve out a new and interesting concept with the rest of the cast and leave Alice and Tommy out. Oh well, the show struggled with its creative vision from the very start and it was never able to recover no matter how wonderful some of the actors. 

It seems like the showrunner and writers only realised how good Margot and Rhys are after season 1, so they started giving them more screen time in season 2 and the show improved as a whole. I haven't seen John Simm is a role I dislike. He is really good, especially at playing morally ambiguous characters. And Ben works well as the straight man to Margot, Rhys and Tessa.

Alice and the private investigation firm doesn't really work for me. I like Val but Sophie is annoying and Danny only became interesting when he started shacking up with Margot.

• Love 2

I suppose I'm in the minority, but overall I liked Season 1 more than Season 2.  I think it was because Alice & Ben had better chemistry in season 1, it was fun to watch where things were going, and the secondary characters (especially Sophie and Danny) were more limited and their roles made sense.  The biggest part about Season 2 that didn't work for me was the relative easy acceptance of Margot and Rhys by the "good guys".  It would be one thing if the Kensington firm limited itself to financial crimes, but these characters were cold blooded killers.  At least Rhys pretended to be switching sides, but Margot never made any pretense about wanting to kill anyone that crossed her.  Danny's affair with Margot was particularly disturbing because of this.

But, still, I'm sad it was cancelled.  It was a nice hour of fluff, and (at least for network tv) a new/different concept.  And, I agree with another poster who also didn't believe it was possible for anything from Shondaland to be cancelled.  Who knew?

• Love 2

I saved the final episode for a bit since I knew it was the last, but eventually I caved and watched. Sigh. I really was so entertained this season. Margot was fantastic in her revamped role, Rhys was extremely entertaining, both of the new female additions were great. Alice was greatly improved by getting to interact regularly with Margot, Tessa and Rhys, all of whom she had good banter with. Danny became more interesting once he started up with Margot. The only really weak points for me were Sophie and Tommy (both singly and as a pair), and I also wished Val could have had more to do. But those are minor complaints for me, as I really did enjoy this season more than just about anything else on TV during the last few months.

Farewell, Queen Margot!

• Love 2

This show was cute, off-beat viewing for me. I'am a bit disappoint that its gone because I've got nothing similar to replace it with.

Season 2 was weak. It regressed with having Ben do the typical transition from bad to good. Also, all side characters and stories deviating from the main were sidelined.