Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E17: A Problem Like Maria

Riggs and Murtaugh team up with DEA agent Karen Palmer to gain information on new cartel operations; Trish explores the potential of a new career opportunity.

Riggs: von Trapp does not sound like a traditional Colombian name....

Hilarie Burton is married to Jeffery Dean Morgan IRL ....maybe he can be an incessantly speechifying cartel boss known as El Negano that taunts Riggs with long winded voice mails....

• Love 7

Damn!  And I liked Riggs and Palmer.  I thought they had fun chemistry.  The scene at the beginning in the hotel room was very funy and I liked that he took his father-in laws advise and started to move forward.  Still Palmer is alive and did the right thing by giving him the file.  Once he is able to solve his wife's murde Riggs will be able to truly move on.

• Love 8
(edited)

One of the better episodes. The best line was when Palmer saw Riggs' wife's photo and asked, "Is that your wife?" The actress handled the reading of the line perfectly. She knew the answer, but wasn't sure how Riggs would react, but wanted to show that it was okay.

Of course, the ending of the show took everything into a completely unexpected (but not) direction.

I do wonder why Palmer thought Riggs would want her to leave at the end. I could make the case that he'd want her there to help him process the info, both practically and...spiritually.

Edited by JackONeill
  • Love 4

That ending. Riggs shaking his head and the tear, I could literally feel the anger rolling off the screen in waves.

I dont know why Palmer left either. I would have stayed to drive him anywhere. I would have called Murtaugh. But I would not have left him.

And Palmer, man did she look guilty and sad at the end. She knew this would be a step back in their relationship. Probably the best I've seen Burton.

So this involves the father-in-law right? He's going to get roped in somehow. 

• Love 8

I hope the father-in-law isn't involved.  I like the paternal vibe he brings to the show. Plus, I've loved Tony Plana since Ugly Betty. 

Was this the first episode in which they confirmed the captain was gay?  I'm assuming "Todd" was his husband.  I know they hinted at it during the Christmas episode but I don't think they came right out and said it.

Speaking of the Christmas episode, I certainly hope that the previews for the next episode are as deceptive as the promos were for the Christmas episode.  I do not want to see hours and hours of personal pain. 

Trish's new job seems sweet but I'm guessing we're going to find out the company is up to no good next season, right?

• Love 4

Interesting twist at the end.

I knew the information Palmer had was about his wife, but I thought it was more to do with that guy we saw during the Christmas episode when Riggs questioned the kingpin about who murdered his wife.

There has to still be a connection.

Gideon looks like a hired thug.  He probably doesn't know anything about the dealings except he was paid to off her. 

• Love 1

I'm not a Palmer/Burton fan so I was only sort-of-kind-of paying attention to this episode.

I can see the father-in-law being connected to Miranda's murder but only as a city attorney who has pissed off the cartel and they took revenge by killing her. I certainly hope he's not dirty for Riggs' sake (and because I like the actor).

(edited)

You gotta think that Riggs will do something extremely stupid next week, I mean, he has to, right? No way he is waiting for the wheels of justice to slowly turn, he is going to take matters into his own hands, even if that means jailbreaking Gideon before torturing him.

And yeah, Murtaugh will probably not like it one bit. I didn't see any promos for the next episode, maybe they already showed something. I liked this episode, although Gideon was a bit underwhelming, but maybe it's because he didn't have many scenes. Hopefully he'll show something in the next one.

The scene where he shot the two cops could have been done in a much more realistic way, in real life he would have caught at least a dozen bullets. It would have been better if one of his men shot the two cops with an automatic gun from the sides or from behind, before Gideon stands above one of the cops to finish the job with a head shot where they show Gideon's face, and the camera goes dark, or something like that.

Edited by Zolo
46 minutes ago, ChelseaNH said:

Is Trish a criminal defense lawyer or a corporate lawyer?

Yes, it does make a difference, unless you're inclined to go to an oncologist for heart surgery.

I would assume she's a criminal defense lawyer, as she defended that one guy a few episodes back with the dead brother.

52 minutes ago, Watermelon said:

I would assume she's a criminal defense lawyer, as she defended that one guy a few episodes back with the dead brother.

Her new boss is obviously evil and is probably constantly accused of evil-doing. Thusly, he needs in-house criminal attorneys. Trish will probably have minions to command.

• Love 1

Hopefully, whatever Trish winds up working on won't become a constant conflict with Roger and Martin's, i.e., the LA police, work. We've already done that once. Many more times and it will get old!!!

58 minutes ago, paigow said:

Her new boss is obviously evil and is probably constantly accused of evil-doing. Thusly, he needs in-house criminal attorneys. Trish will probably have minions to command.

Sexy minions and a boss who has a raging crush on her and is more then likely going to wisk her away to romantic locations "for business".  

• Love 2

That was excellent. While the main plot was so-so, I really enjoyed all the character development we got from this.

Every week I keep thinking something is going to happen to Trish. I like that this show doesn't take the most obvious route sometimes.

16 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

Sexy minions and a boss who has a raging crush on her and is more then likely going to wisk her away to romantic locations "for business".  

Any chance you have that screen name because of the Splinter Cell series? It's probably the mathematical branch, but I just remembered that Carlo Rota (Trish's boss) was the main villain in Blacklist, the latest Splinter Cell game. :)

Edited by Zolo

Trish's new boss seems evil, but I would have loved to receive the gift basket she received in the beginning!

I'm nervous for next week, I really hope Riggs' father in law is not involved. I like their relationship.

• Love 1

I've said it since the beginning, I Think Riggs's FIL is dirty and connected with the cartel. 

Trish will work for the shady dude until he tries to put the moves on her. 

The dorky dentist next door cracked me up with his FLOSSING license plate. 

I love the police captain! I wish every boss was so laid back! 

6 hours ago, juliet73 said:

The dorky dentist next door cracked me up with his FLOSSING license plate.

I didn't understand why he didn't park the car in the garage if it was so precious.

I don't think the FIL is dirty, but I think Miranda's death was meant to be a warning to him. I hope it is because he is a good guy trying to take the cartel down.

Harper remains the cutest baby on television, although the baby of the week did put up a good fight. There needs to be five minutes of Harper in every episode.

• Love 3
On 3/9/2017 at 9:37 AM, ChelseaNH said:

Is Trish a criminal defense lawyer or a corporate lawyer?

Yes, it does make a difference, unless you're inclined to go to an oncologist for heart surgery.

Its not a it makes a difference type show. The doctor of all science and the lawyer of all specialties fits here. Just like the shaby dressed homicide detective

• Love 1
On 3/11/2017 at 7:44 AM, Raja said:

Its not a it makes a difference type show.

I'm an it makes a difference type viewer.  There are things I'm willing to suspend disbelief about (like jumping out of tall buildings into swimming pools) and things I am not.  If the show bothers me enough, I'll drop it.

On 3/11/2017 at 7:44 AM, Raja said:

Its not a it makes a difference type show. The doctor of all science and the lawyer of all specialties fits here. Just like the shaby dressed homicide detective

I am guessing both. White Collar Criminal fits nice with regular criminal and corporate. I wish they didn't make Miranda part of a conspiracy but I suppose for a series that is the way it has to be. I want it to be her dad that was the reason she was targeted. IMHO Riggs just wasn't a big enough power player to justify that but the "City Attorney" would seem more likely.  I liked Gideon as the big bad for a few episodes. Riggs needs a challenge. 

I only just finished this episode. Everyone touched on all of the other good things. With regards to the captain, is this the first time they've mentioned Todd (and I laughed really hard when the captain carried on the "Todd" charade needlessly with Bailey)? That was a (nicely subtle) surprise for me.

• Love 2
(edited)

Watching from the UK so i'm a bit behind.

I enjoyed the episode, thought it picked up again here. Something I wanted to touch on was they left the idea open that Miranda's death was a deliberate cartel hit towards the end of the Christmas Episode. I like how it has sort of come full circle now in this episode with Riggs seemingly receiving the confirmation he needs that the cartel did in fact do a hit job on his wife.

Edited by Destroyer