Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E07: Whitney Calls in Backup

• Start Topic

A dance battle looms, so Whitney gets serious by bringing in a cutthroat choreographer to help with the routine, but things go awry when she gives Whitney an ultimatum. Meanwhile, Will poses a new challenge for Buddy.

Twit is talking to Jenzi and refers to the dance studio as her studio. wow.  And she said the dance battle is just over a week away and has not done any chorography for it.  She has known about it since mid September.  TWF posted some videos about them on a secret mission (later revealed to be the dance battler) 9/24/16.

• Love 1

Okay. Is it me, or does Amanda kinda fight an eye roll in every scene? Like she's telling herself "just think about the money - just think about the money"?? And when she says "it's more than mutual" she's frowning like she's in pain. She maybe into the paycheck from TLC but ain't no way she's into Whiney. 

• Love 7

Omg Whitney just said she isn't done with men and then so many men, so much of me, so little time. omg gag!!!!! I wonder if that what Maney was referring to that she he called Twit a slut.

• Love 5

I want to thank you guys for live-commenting on the episode. I like to read it while the ep airs, since I DVR it and watch it the next day while my husband is at work. I value my marriage too much to subject that poor man to this awful woman.

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

I want to thank you guys for live-commenting on the episode. I like to read it while the ep airs, since I DVR it and watch it the next day while my husband is at work. I value my marriage too much to subject that poor man to this awful woman.

LOL! I make my husband watch.  But I think he enjoys hate watching it as much as me.  Omg we saw her eat.  A salad:  The Chopper: Chopped iceberg & romaine lettuce, grape tomatoes, crumbled bleu cheese, & applewood smoked bacon

Jenzi isn't even speaking English right now! wtf!

• Love 4
(edited)

So little miss "professional dancer" who is ALL THAT is so stressed (read: scared) that she goes off and hires this Jenzi person? LOVE LOVE Todd's comments. Impending disaster. 

And the whole "I'll take you for barbecue" and then takes her to a place she herself has never even been too??? wtf??? Can't wait to see how Whiney handles Jenzi being a bitch since she obvs didn't take Jiya being one too well.  

Edited by Maggienolia
  • Love 6

You can't tell me that Whitney doesn't have a go-to BBQ place in Greensboro. In my tiny county of 2,000 I have go to places for pizza, burgers, and fried chicken.

And how ungracious of a guest to criticize everything she is served.

• Love 15
Just now, mamadrama said:

Jiya was tough but I liked her. Jenzie is just a bitch. I can't even hate watch her.

She reminds me of a juiced up drill instructor.

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

Jiya was tough but I liked her. Jenzie is just a bitch. I can't even hate watch her.

That was the craziest shit I've seen on TV. WTF was all that gibberish she was spouting? Do any real dance instructors make peculiar noises like hers? Frankly, if I walked into a room & heard her, I'd head for the door figuring the next thing she'd be doing is foaming at the mouth like a rabid animal. I don't know why Twit's "girls" didn't run for their lives.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, mamadrama said:

You can't tell me that Whitney doesn't have a go-to BBQ place in Greensboro. In my tiny county of 2,000 I have go to places for pizza, burgers, and fried chicken.

Exactly what I thought. I guess it's all a part of the fiction that Twit is not eating food that's fattening, therefore she couldn't possibly know about a BBQ joint.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Maggienolia said:

Okay. Is it me, or does Amanda kinda fight an eye roll in every scene? Like she's telling herself "just think about the money - just think about the money"?? And when she says "it's more than mutual" she's frowning like she's in pain. She maybe into the paycheck from TLC but ain't no way she's into Whiney. 

Now that you mention it ... Word. I guess TPTB decided to drop the lesbian plot arc,  maybe cuz Amanda looked to be in such pain as she said her lines.

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, Dot said:

That was the craziest shit I've seen on TV. WTF was all that gibberish she was spouting? Do any real dance instructors make peculiar noises like hers? Frankly, if I walked into a room & heard her, I'd head for the door figuring the next thing she'd be doing is foaming at the mouth like a rabid animal. I don't know why Twit's "girls" didn't run for their lives.

I've taken a few dance classes and I'm going to say yes.  A few of them seem to have their own weird calls they use to accentuate each move on certain beats. 

Lest we forget Laurie Ann Gibson and her " Boom Cat!".

• Love 3

Oh man this show is great. All the Emmys for whoever edits it! High fives especially deserved for Whitney's talking head about Jenzi's impressive resume and what a big deal she is being immediately followed by Todd's "I have no idea who this Jenzi person is."

Still think Maney is on this forum to anonymously vent his frustrations, and if he isn't, he should be. I caught his quietly simmering rage starting to bubble over in the studio right before Roy cut him off/saved him from Whitney's wrath. #freemaney

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Dot said:
2 hours ago, mamadrama said:

Exactly what I thought. I guess it's all a part of the fiction that Twit is not eating food that's fattening, therefore she couldn't possibly know about a BBQ joint.

Or her go to place she either doesn't want to be known (because she's got several that she rotates) or they refused to be on the show.

You know, i've been doing the online dating thing and I've been on some real awkward dates. But i don't think I've ever been on a "date" as awkward as Twit's trip to the coffee shop with Amanda. Somehow she remembers what the chick in her drama club liked for coffee 15 years later? Bull. I have to seriously think about it to remember how my parents like their coffee, and I've been making it on and off for over 30 years.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, nutella fitzgerald said:

Still think Maney is on this forum to anonymously vent his frustrations, and if he isn't, he should be. I caught his quietly simmering rage starting to bubble over in the studio right before Roy cut him off/saved him from Whitney's wrath. #freemaney

I am trying to figure out which one of us he might be. 

He totally had her number tonight. I love it right before they drink the TLC Kool Aid-when they're fed up and aggravated and just let it out. Then, like the rest, they'll get whipped by the money and become Stepford stars, calling out Whitney's virtues. But it's fun while it lasts. 

• Love 3
(edited)
16 hours ago, mamadrama said:

Apparently!

http://www.genrepublic.com/jenzi-russell/

"Jenzi Russell was born December 8, 1987 in Phoenix, AZ where he was raised amongst six other children; him being the youngest."

Holy shit! (BTW, doesn't his bio sound a lot like the stuff you read about Twit -- cheesy, amateurish, wishful thinking.)

Edited by Dot
  • Love 7

I wish they would have done a follow up on the horse from last week, letting us know he is OK.  Would have been much more interesting than most of tonight's scenes.

• Love 13

Ugh, this show. Could someone please explain to me how Whitney has her "plate full" with the dance battle, when she's not even creating the choreography herself, nor doing anything else to prepare other than staring blankly at a pair of sticks and trying not to drop them?

This episode really made the teacher in me angry. I know that her BGDC is fake, but if Whitney is upset that Jiya and the Jenji brought hostile and snarky vibes into the normally feel-good and non-competitive atmosphere of the class, then it's her job as the teacher to step up and address it. No Whitney, you are not in a "tough spot". You are the leader of the group, and if someone comes in and starts insulting your students or making them uncomfortable, you need to take that person outside and set clear boundaries regarding how they address the class. It's not up to Todd to defend the students, it's up to YOU to set an appropriate tone, and to remove anyone who does not respect it. I would never allow a guest to speak to my students the way Jenzi did. I don't care how many "celebrities" he's worked with (were those real people Whitney listed?). It's bad enough that she proclaims to be a dance teacher who doesn't know anything about choreography (her words) and can't do half the dance moves herself, but now she's signed them up for dance battle with a group that is way more advanced than them, to save her own pride, despite the fact that she keeps saying that she has no idea what a dance battle is. I know that's a lie, and she know full well what it is, but her claim of ignorance makes her look even stupider- why would she get suckered into volunteering her whole class for something if she had no idea what it entailed? This whole plot line is maddening.

The only thing I liked this episode was seeing her and Buddy take the cats for a walk. I have to admit that I'm jealous that she was able to sit there on the dock snuggling with her one kitty, since that would never work for me. One of my cats would be terrified the whole time and the other would squirm and scratch her way out of my arms and I'd probably never see her again.

• Love 9

I don't know how I even make myself watch this crap anymore let alone would I ever force Mr. Snarkle to watch it (although he did watch the Jia episode after the TV ads pulled him in).  It was one thing when it was about a fake, manufactured "No Body Shame movement", but another now that we have fake dance battles with divas just as crass and ridiculous as Whitney.  It's all just as boring and unsatisfying to watch no matter how they pull people in with the sensational stuff, like flirting with a lesbian relationship.  Even SHE probably wouldn't be able to put on that act very long because she's basically straight, but like her mother, she seems to want the world to think she's really this "bad girl" at heart if it will get her more attention.  Plus if it pulls in a few extra viewers, who tune in to see it like a bad accident on the other side of the highway, all the better.  Given the way her mother was acting a few episodes ago about having a little lesbian in her, I wouldn't doubt that she was all on board with Whitney pursuing this fake plotline just to get more attention for the show.  The apple hasn't fallen far from the tree.  There's exhibitionism and a bit of the "shock jock" in both of them.

Re:  The Amanda micro-expressions, THAT was obvious.  Perhaps she needs to go back to drama class to be more convincing, but I imagine it would take the likes of Meryl Streep to pull THAT off!

• Love 9

I felt sorry for Whitney when I saw how happy she was when Jenzi agreed to come teach her class because I knew how disappointed she was going to be when she realized how mean Jenzi was. It would have worked out better if they had had the conversation about how the class was casual with a lot of no-skilled dancers before Jenzi agreed to come and put her choreography on some foolery. Whitney could have handled it like she did her DVD filming and had try outs so she could cut some dancers in a more respectful way.

I would be more willing to give Jenzi a pass for her disrespectful behavior if it was confined to just the dance class, but she was rude to Whitney at the restaurant when she was trashing the food that Whitney was paying for. If you don't like it, don't eat it, but you don't have to take a bite then declare it's not good when the person sitting across so obviously hopes you enjoy it. Whitney should not spend her money on such foolery. (and yeah, I'm aware TLC probably paid the bill, but still)

Buddy's reaction to gaining half a pound made me think he might have some anger problems. I remember I watched a couple Youtube videos by some girl who left a message on a social media site about how she wished Buddy and Whitney were together and Buddy sent her a private message calling her a c***. That dude is not the cuddly Boo Bear they try to make him out to be.

I thought it was funny that what Whitney took away from the conversation with the radio hosts was that they think they understand the situation with the dance battle, but they never will and they'll never understand how stressful it is. The flip side of that is that she doesn't really understand how insignificant this dance battle could be if she chose not to be stressed out about it. That makes more sense to me. This dance battle has no stakes other than pride. And that'll be false pride if they win because we, and they, will know that it was a pity win for the sake of the show. Whitney tries to act like a strong, assertive woman, but all she had to do was say "I'm not interested in doing a dance battle because my class is about encouraging women in a non-competitive atmosphere" when Roy initially brought up the dance battle idea. Or later when she went to Jiya to try to drop it, she could have acted like a grown woman instead of a teenager who was challenged to "bring it" and decided it must be "broughten" for the sake of her pride. I don't believe that Whitney never saw Bring It On.

• Love 16
(edited)
7 hours ago, Maggienolia said:

I always wonder why these people drink the Kool-Aid and agree to lower themselves to be part of this show.  I feel secondhand embarrassment for them all.  Are they really that desperate for money?  I know Whitney has no shame, but what's their excuse?  That girl was about as attracted to Whitney as Boo Bear is.  Did she just want to be on TV?  I'm at a loss!

Dear TLC:  Stop showing the fake weight on the scale after Whitney steps off of it.  We all know she weighs way more than 358 lbs.  Add an extra 100 to that and it would be more believable.  Just sayin.

Edited by swankie
  • Love 11
(edited)

I'm going to go out on a limb, here.. I like Jenzi teaching. And teaching style. And I like the routines. Whit signed up (ok - was pushed) into a battle not an open class.

Yes, Whit , go spend a $1.50 at redbox and go get "Bring it On".

Granted maybe Whit should have attended one of Jenzi's classes in person, first, to evaluate her teaching style and do a run though of the routine. And whit should have told the class first she was coming and maybe played one of her videos. Only b/c Whit probably doesn't bring in guest teachers and also, to see who wants to participate in the battle.

And even if this was an open class, why would you come (1) in very late and (2) not in dance attire. That drew attention to yourself, not the teacher or other students. Show  up late to a calculus class or exam w/o a calculator. Do you really think the teacher is going to give a damn ?

What is Todd's dance background? It is coming across too much like a baby.  a grown man-baby. And due to his height, he belongs on the far left/right  or back- he is kinda blocking the ladies behind him, and throwing off the lines.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, Cherpumple said:

The only thing I liked this episode was seeing her and Buddy take the cats for a walk. I have to admit that I'm jealous that she was able to sit there on the dock snuggling with her one kitty, since that would never work for me. One of my cats would be terrified the whole time and the other would squirm and scratch her way out of my arms and I'd probably never see her again.

I was kinda thinking that if a cat got loose outside (like the one who jumped out of the stroller), an Olympic track runner couldn't catch it. Is it the breed, combined with age that made Whit's cat stay put ?

• Love 1
(edited)
11 hours ago, Dot said:

I though the BBQ scene was just too much added drama. TLC had to pick a meal-setting that would generate drama and set-up us viewers to see the attitude-role Jenzi was going to play.

BBQ, the sauce, the rub, and its sides like hush-puppies are highly regionalized - meaning not the best place to take someone for the first time, who lives a considerable distance away and are used to their own local-customized version. By definition, they are not going to be too happy. I need to re-watch, but I think this was a local "mom & pop" BBQ, as opposed to a chain.

Edited by sATL
8 minutes ago, sATL said:

I though the BBQ scene was just too much added drama. TLC had to pick a meal-setting that would generate drama and set-up us viewers to see the attitude-role Jenzi was going to play.

BBQ and its sides like hush-puppies is highly regionalized - meaning not the best place to take someone for the first time, who lives a considerable distance away and are used to their own local-customized version. By definition, they are not going to be too happy. I need to re-watch, but I think this was a local "mom & pop" BBQ, as opposed to a chain.

My husband believes it was Mac's Speed Shop in Charlotte.  

1 hour ago, sATL said:

And even if this was an open class, why would you come (1) in very late and (2) not in dance attire. That drew attention to yourself, not the teacher or other students.

Wasn't that Mattie? Because I think she views Jenzi as a threat for her "role" as transsexual woman on the show. So she was bound and determined to make sure that she was the memorable performer in that scene. Or at least that was my cynical take on it. I definitely think, whether it's true or not, Twit thinks of Jenzi as a transsexual woman (didn't Twit refer to her/she?) and that made Mattie worry.

• Love 6
53 minutes ago, AmyB said:

Jiya posted this to her instagram. She has been recieving a lot of hate over this fake battle. 

What did she expect, coming on a reality show & acting bitchy? I'm not condoning any kind of bullying, I'm just saying doesn't she even read SM & see what goes on out there? Put yourself on TV, especially taking on someone who has so many fans, & it's unfortunate, but that is what happens. She probably wanted her own publicity. Well she's getting it & now gets to play victim too.

• Love 2
(edited)

Well, I didn't think Jenzi was too far out of the way of someone trying to boot camp new choreography in a short time. I do feel that she and Whit had different takes on how to approach the dance battle.  Jenzi was, "Let's go all out on this and put out absolute best out there by any means necessary."  Whit kinda talks a lot about that, but never really does, because of excuse #1, excuse #2, etc.  If she's just having a class to have fun, a little empowerment to big girls, that's fine.  Don't drag them into a dance battle if you're not willing to do what needs to be done to actually be competitive.

That being said, Jenzi was being kinda rude at the BBQ place. 

My husband believes it was Mac's Speed Shop in Charlotte. 

This was a Mac's, but I think they do have a location in Greensboro. It's a small chain, mostly around the Charlotte area though.  I've eaten at one in Charlotte a few times, as it was close to where I worked at one time. Lots of my colleagues absolutely loved the place. I was pretty indifferent. 

Now, I gotta comment on one of the more minor sub-plots of this episode, and it was Will saying he wanted Buddy and Whit to compete in a CrossFit competition.  I swear, I had a mental record needle-scratch moment when he said that, and I said, "Are you f***ing kidding me?"  Yes, it's a charity dealie, and there are a lot of those.  However, if Buddy and Whit are talking about wanting to win, they're delusional. Even in their brief clips of working out with Will, they're not even getting the basic movement standards down.  Whit can't even do a proper squat.  She was struggling to stay in dance shoes for more than 5 minutes. I can kinda get where Will is going with that, as a competition can spark the desire to ramp up training, but ultimately, I think it's a set up for failure, if they can't even do the basics well. 

Edited by Yajmele
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, operalover said:

I'm also annoyed at Barbells for Boobs. Why is breast cancer the only cancer reduced to its body part and then using cutesy terms for it. How about a fundraiser for testicular cancer call Barbells for Nuts? Or prostate cancer called Barbells for Weeners? How about Save the Dicks! I'd like to find a bumper sticker that says Save the Balls... It's just one of my pet peeves. 

Agree. I think this is the (link) for the event held in the NC area last year.

(edited)
53 minutes ago, Yajmele said:

Now, I gotta comment on one of the more minor sub-plots of this episode, and it was Will saying he wanted Buddy and Whit to compete in a CrossFit competition.  I swear, I had a mental record needle-scratch moment when he said that, and I said, "Are you f***ing kidding me?"  Yes, it's a charity dealie, and there are a lot of those.  However, if Buddy and Whit are talking about wanting to win, they're delusional. Even in their brief clips of working out with Will, they're not even getting the basic movement standards down.  Whit can't even do a proper squat.  She was struggling to stay in dance shoes for more than 5 minutes. I can kinda get where Will is going with that, as a competition can spark the desire to ramp up training, but ultimately, I think it's a set up for failure, if they can't even do the basics well. 

Yeah - I kinda was let's get though one competition first, before we sign up for another.

Why can Whit order custom made dance shoes? Or is there no such thing?  Something like what ice skaters do, they go somewhere and have a detailed measurement and the boot (skate) fits properly on their feet.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, AmyB said:

Jiya posted this to her instagram. She has been recieving a lot of hate over this fake battle. 

That is horrible.  Even though she was bitchy I don't see why people call and do this type of bullying.  What goes on in people's lives that in their free time they hunt reality tv people to be mean on purpose.  Get a grip it is a tv show that has very little "reality".  I thought at this point everyone knew all tv is scripted on some level.

• Love 8

Well, am fashionably late to the party.

Whitney's deficiencies as a "dance teacher" were on full display and no matter how she tries to paint herself as a victim who just wants the best for "her girls", she came across like an idiot. First by insisting on going through with the dance battle even when told outright that she didn't have to if she didn't feel comfortable with pushing her girls (or even holding classes and actually practicing on a consistent basis). She is incapable of choreographing a coherent set for her team. She decides to introduce a dance skill that she tried in one class and doesn't have any great grasp of herself. She hired a choreographer that she has never worked with before, not even taking one of her classes before asking the woman to fly in to teach her group. And then she is completely unwilling to make the decision to focus on the fun of dancing or if they are going to take it (and the dance battle) as seriously as everyone else is.

Jenzi was a trip, but you could tell that she frustrated with what she had to work with. If she was accustomed to dealing with professional dancers (or at least serious students), that would explain a lot about her demeanor. Having a group that traipses in late or doesn't come dressed for dance practice would frustrate me if I were in her shoes. She's demanding a lot, but they're not even willing to try. Instead they are acting like a bunch of spoiled children. Jenzi was right when she told Whitney that if she wanted to win, then she'd have to make some hard choices. Otherwise Jenzi is wasting her time.

Thankfully the faux-lesbian storyline ended quickly. It was about as believable as my hair color (and I'm not trying to pass it off as something natural). Seeing this idiots cackling because Whitney kissed another woman... how scandalous! (NOT!)

Sure Will... tell someone who is just starting out exercising and a woman who is morbidly obese and can't do exercises properly to participate in a crossfit competition. The stunts on this show are really annoying.

From the promo next week... Oh Nos.... the TWDs have props too! What ever will Whitney do? *rolls eyes*

• Love 11