Type keyword(s) to search

Underground - General Discussion

• Start Topic

8 minutes ago, FlowerofCarnage said:

I hope this episode puts the final nail in the "Macon loves Ernestine" coffin.

I hope Ernestine is somehow able to get justice once she gets out of the box.

I wonder if Jeremiah was lying to August about the contents of the letter? 

That was my first thought. He may have been hoping August would head back home.

Tom is such scum. He probably would have hung James if he thought if he would help his political career. He's a vile, despicable human being.

Poor Sam. I will miss his kind, thoughtful character. I hope Ernestine does get some sort of vengeance for Sam's death. Tom needs to be dealt with.

Rosalee continues to show her resourcefulness. I am glad that she knew how to play piano and help protect her and Cato's cover. It seems like Cato is becoming more impressed with her and that he is starting to become smitten with her. I thought it was interesting how he was the one that wanted to go and try and save her, but Noah convinced him otherwise.  Though I still think that Cato has a lot of trifling ways to him.

I was glad that this show got renewed but am disappointed that many of the talented actors won't be on it. I think that the producers of this show may have originally planned for it to be maybe one season only. They may not have expected it to get another season, and that might be one reason why they decided to  kill off a lot of the good/slave characters. With the way things are going, most of the characters that might return for Season 2 are going to be the bad slave owner/racist type of characters. Hopefully they will find some other talented actors to help fill the void that season one will leave.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 5

My heart is still breaking for Sam and Ernestine.  

F' Tom and that spawn of satan he and that monsterous wife of his produced.  I I hope they and their real life counterparts suffered the worst deaths and afterlives imaginable.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, FlowerofCarnage said:

2 hours ago, FlowerofCarnage said:

I actually hope not, because its contents tie into his conversation with Ben. If August has more cash than he thought, and the only reason he's chasing slaves is to make money, then no more excuses. He has no reason to do it any more.

2 hours ago, drivethroo said:

I think Sam was left behind by the group.  I think he fully intended to run with the group.

And it was a good decision to leave him behind because Sam was not about that running life.  He likely would've cause a bunch of misteps and they'd all be caught & killed at this point.

August must not be able to read.

This was established a few episodes ago.

Speaking of not being able to read, I nearly died over Cato and those passes. It's a good thing the sheriff was distracted!

I, too am glad that all the talk about love between Tom and Earnestine can be buried now.  There can be no love (and no consent) in a relationship where saying "no" could mean death or permanent separation from family and where "yes" could essentially create wealth for someone else (slave babies=$).

Sam's lynching was just viscerally sickening.  But I am glad they did it.  I am also glad that all of the supporters in the smoky back room were there speaking the talking points.  To whit (paraphrasing)....

Guy one: slaves are children. They need us to provide a guiding hand.  Slavery provides structure for them (also known as the "benevolent good" attitude that was prevalent)

Guy two:  If we don't have slavery, the slaves will come back and kill us all (also a common belief, and not mutually exclusive from the "benevolent good").

And here I am thinking, "Well, if you think that without slavery they would come back and kill you, maybe that points to the fact that what you are doing is no kind of good at all.  Maybe lynching people for your own power play to get right in the eyes of the voters and God makes slaves want to kill you, Tom.

• Love 4

Team Macon is dropping like flies, that scene with Sam hanging gutted me.

And now, there are Four.

Rosales

Noah

Cato

and sweet little Boo.

Who makes my ovaries flutter, every time I see her.

I need for Vic Mackey, to come to the UG and shoot Tom in the face again.

• Love 2

This episode took me by surprise. Two more episodes to go.

I love Ernestine's comeback for Tom in regard to her kids, "they ain't just mine."

This was already established but I feel the need to say it. That reverend is no man of God.

Watching Sam hang was appalling. That is where I "clocked out." That was too much for me.

Rosalee's plan was not the greatest. They chose to go out in the open and risk being caught or captured (by other people) back into slavery. Watching Rosalee and Cato shuffle through papers because they couldn't read was hilarious.

This particular episode made me rethink watching content that includes slavery. As Tom is making his rounds and mingling with everyone and they're making their points to justify slavery, I'm arguing with these characters (in my mind) because I can't fathom how humans at any point in time have justified slavery.  This episode inflamed me.

Edited by AntFTW
  • Love 3

Sam hanging while the Anerican flag was behind him enraged me. 

I just don't understand how the Precher called himself a man of God he's the biggest monster we have seen in this show. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Tom was yelling at James about never being free in the previews. 

Ernestein needs to set a few cups of tea before Tom and the Precher. 

• Love 7
On 4/28/2016 at 4:39 PM, hoosiermommy said:

I, too am glad that all the talk about love between Tom and Earnestine can be buried now.  There can be no love (and no consent) in a relationship where saying "no" could mean death or permanent separation from family and where "yes" could essentially create wealth for someone else (slave babies=$).

Sam's lynching was just viscerally sickening.  But I am glad they did it.  I am also glad that all of the supporters in the smoky back room were there speaking the talking points.  To whit (paraphrasing)....

Guy one: slaves are children. They need us to provide a guiding hand.  Slavery provides structure for them (also known as the "benevolent good" attitude that was prevalent)

Guy two:  If we don't have slavery, the slaves will come back and kill us all (also a common belief, and not mutually exclusive from the "benevolent good").

And here I am thinking, "Well, if you think that without slavery they would come back and kill you, maybe that points to the fact that what you are doing is no kind of good at all.  Maybe lynching people for your own power play to get right in the eyes of the voters and God makes slaves want to kill you, Tom.

I didn't even really see it. I'm just now catching up, and as soon as the camera panned down, and I caught I glimpsed, I found something to obstruct my view. I have real visceral responses to images of lynching, so I couldn't do it. I was already upset at the thought that Ernestine was going to hobble her own son (even if she said that she would do it cleanly, still, it's too damn much!), but this lynching just took me right over.

Also, yes, I'm glad that any talk about "Tom really loves Ernestine" can be buried. There cannot truly be love between a slaveowner and his slave. Ernestine did what she could given her own limited power, but it didn't mean that she was in love with Tom, or that Tom felt deep and abiding love to Ernestine. 

Lastly, though it was a quick glance of Sam in front of the U.S. flag, I was immediately reminded of this artist's rendering of the stars and stripes.

• Love 3

Oh Sam. RIP. I'll miss him. Johnny Ray Gill was so good in the role.

My heart hurts for Ms. Ernestine.

I'm so sick of August. I loved seeing Ben challenge him on the slave catching.

I saw those eyes Cato was giving Rosalee. Does Noah have a rival for Ms. Rose's affections? Hmm...

• Love 1

I literally gasped out loud when I saw Sam hanging underneath the podium thing. I'm still reeling from that. 

I wonder why August doesn't ask Ben to read the letter to him. I would think he's more trust-worthy than the nastier slave-catcher. Meloni has said on Twitter that he can't be trusted, so I also wonder if he was lying about the bank wanting to buy August's land. I really want August to see the light before the end of this season. I hate watching my TV boyfriend play a slave-catcher.

• Love 1
On April 25, 2016 at 7:54 PM, ridethemaverick said:

Yeeeeesssssss! Although I wouldn't describe August as morally conflicted lol.

I think he will be, mainly because of the way Ben's been challenging him. We'll see.

Here's the preview for next week's episode:

I was glad that this show got renewed but am disappointed that many of the talented actors won't be on it. I think that the producers of this show may have originally planned for it to be maybe one season only. They may not have expected it to get another season, and that might be one reason why they decided to  kill off a lot of the good/slave characters. With the way things are going, most of the characters that might return for Season 2 are going to be the bad slave owner/racist type of characters. Hopefully they will find some other talented actors to help fill the void that season one will leave.

They're already in Kentucky now.  Once they cross the Ohio River.  Does this mean that Season 2 will focus upon them eluding slave catchers and Federal marshals in the free states?

I am also happy the show made the definitive choice to show how duplicitous and evil Tom is. I had his number all along. There is no such thing as a good slave master. And as I said a few weeks ago, Tom is the worst kind of villain because he has truly convinced himself that he isn't one. 

My heart bled when I saw Sam's lifeless body hanging there directly under the American flag. That image was horrific but also so incredibly powerful because it speaks volumes to the truth of how this nation was quite literally built on the backs of black people. 

I can only hope Ernestine somehow finds a way to avenge her son's death. 

Cato and Rose playing Bonnie and Clyde was fun until it wasn't. She was taking a calculated risk, with the whole hide in plain sight plan, and it backfired big time but I get why she did it.

Now we have to see how the Macon 3 finds their way out of this one. 

I was so happy when I heard the show got a second season and I'm already wondering how they'll choose to format the second season. Will it be an anthology style ala American Horror Story telling different tales but with the same cast because I can't imagine them getting rid of talent like Amirah, Aldis, Alano and Jurnee. 

Or will they decide to carry on with the story they're telling and perhaps take us as far as after the Civil War.

I read somewhere that the show has boosted WGN's ratings by 1000% so they're definitely not going anywhere, any time soon. 

• Love 6

Ben!! Be still my heart :-( Why do we keep losing all the good ones? 

I blame August that boy should have been in school. 

Cato :-( 

poor Boo and Noah Rosilee better make it. 

I love John and Elizabeth. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Another episode that made me go "Wow". 

I felt bad for Ben. He ended up suffering because of his father's choices.

Boo continues to be adorable. I'm glad she didn't end up hurting John. I do think that was a wakeup call for him though. 

I was glad to see Noah/Rosalee and Boo reunite. I wonder what happened to Cato. I thought it was interesting to learn that he has a family out there somewhere. Someone speculated on Twitter that maybe he survives, by telling the slave catchers where Rosalee and Noah are going in exchange for his life. I am definitely interested in seeing what happens to him. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 3
(edited)

Lawd. I need a drink right now---I don't even drink. Tonight's episode had me on a roller coaster. 

So did Noah throw  Cato to wolves? Or did he know that he was capable of fighting the bounty hunters off?....and did he make it?

I totally didn't see Rosalee stabbing Ben coming....

This was the best episode yet!

Edited by sereion
It's "throw", not through
  • Love 2

Cato is an a-hole but I feel bad that he didn't make it.

I feel bad for Ben. He probably wishes he would have kept Rosalee tied up after that. Now August isn't hunting them for the reward; he's out for blood.

The actress that plays Elizabeth is stunning. I've always thought but I feel this episode magnified it.

3 minutes ago, Jx223 said:

Another episode that made me go "Wow". 

I felt bad for Ben. He ended up suffering because of his father's choices.

Boo continues to be adorable. I'm glad she didn't end up hurting John. I do think that was wakeup call for him though. 

I was glad to see Noah/Rosalee and Boo reunite. I wonder what happened to Cato. I thought it was interesting to learn that he has a family out there somewhere. Someone speculated on Twitter that maybe he survives, by telling the slave catchers where Rosalee and Noah are going in exchange for his life. I am definitely interested in seeing what happens to him. 

I love this. That would make for one hell of a finale.

• Love 1
(edited)
5 minutes ago, sereion said:

Lawd. I need a drink right now---I don't even drink. Tonight's episode had me on a roller coaster. 

So did Noah through Cato to wolves? Or did he know that he was capable of fighting the bounty hunters off?....and did he make it?

I totally didn't see Rosalee stabbing Ben coming....

This was the best episode yet!

I think Noah ended up deciding that they couldn't win against the slave catchers together. I think he thought they both might get killed, so he decided to save himself. It did seem like he definitely thought about trying to save Cato, but ultimately decided it he couldn't take that risk.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 3
(edited)

Well, Cato would have slowed them down obviously and Noah would have gotten caught or killed if he tried to save Cato.

Edited by AntFTW
  • Love 1
27 minutes ago, AntFTW said:

Cato is an a-hole but I feel bad that he didn't make it.

He was starting to grow on me as the show progressed. I have a glimmer of hope that he makes it, but he was at such a disadvantage, I would be surprised if he survives. 

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, Jx223 said:

I think Noah ended up deciding that they couldn't win against the slave catchers together. I think he thought they both might get killed, so he decided to save himself. It did seem like he definitely thought about trying to save Cato, but ultimately decided it he couldn't take that risk.

That's how I saw it. And judging by Cato's reaction, I think he knew immediately after Noah threw the knife. I always felt like I "got" Cato, even when it seemed he was being devious, but I'm not too broken up about it. He did the same with Zeke so...it bes that way sometimes.

I'm glad Noah and Rosalee made it but I'm scared for them after watching the preview. Noah better not sacrifice himself. I want them, and Boo, to make it. My heart can't take any other ending.

That was sad about Ben but the sins of the father...

So is the plan to just leave the sheriff down in the crawlspace? 

I'm glad Clyde is free.

I seriously need a drink. This show makes me tense!

• Love 4

I strongly suspect that Cato hid that money that was in the stage. That is why he was late.  He will use the location of that money to bargain for his freedom.  If he is smart, he hid some in two different places.  That way he can lead them to some, but save some for himself. He is smart enough to figure out a way to lure them with the money and still make sure they let him get away.  After his popularity, I really don't see the show letting him go since they killed off Zeke, Henry and Sam. 

I am actually sad that Rosalee and Noah are the two who made it. They are the two I am the least interested in.  This was the hardest episode to pay attention to.  The whole Devil's Snare was weak, and I have no idea why they killed Ben of all people.  John's wife is annoying. 

If he could almost beat a man, I don't see why he would have trouble with killing a man that slept with his wife via blackmail. 

I would much rather have see the after effects of Tom's actions, how Ernestine gets out of the whole, and Ben reunited with the older slave at home that taught his father to track. 

• Love 3
(edited)

even though it was a bit farfetched (runaways on a rescue mission in territory they are not familiar with?? yea right), I still enjoyed this episode.

rosalee is so smart and quick on her feet. threw the dress in the fire to cause the hallucinations. its unfortunate what happened to ben and august has no one to blame but  himself. had that boy out there with him "on the hunt" acting like they NEEDED the money when in all actuality their home is sitting on a gold mine. wouldn't be surprised if august lost his mind.

it was good to hear the mini backstory on cato about how he lost his wife and daughter but still holds out hope that he will reuite with them. we all suspected he had a deep hurt that made him act how he acts so it was nice to hear it confirmed.

I wonder what john and elizabeth are going to do with the sheriff?? they have a whole heep of trouble on their plate currently and it will be interesting to see how it pans out.

rosalee, noah, and boo being reunited brought a smile to my face.

and to circle back to cato, i don't believe he is dead. something tells me that the rest of that money that was in that stagecoach is going to play a factor in his survival. maybe he bribes the slave catchers with the money and/or telling what information he knows about where rosalee and noah are headed. but I don't think for a second that he is dead.

Edited by aarondk88
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, aarondk88 said:

even though it was a bit farfetched (runaways on a rescue mission in territory they are not familiar with?? yea right), I still enjoyed this episode.

I wonder what tom and elizabeth are going to do with the sheriff?? they have a whole heep of trouble on their plate currently and it will be interesting to see how it pans out.

rosalee, noah, and boo being reunited brought a smile to my face.

and to circle back to cato, i don't believe he is dead. something tells me that the rest of that money that was in that stagecoach is going to play a factor in his survival. maybe he bribes the slave catchers with the money and/or telling what information he knows about where rosalee and noah are headed. but I don't think for a second that he is dead.

1. Agreed. That part was a bit farfetched. I imagine in reality that Rosalee would just have been left behind.

2. John and Elizabeth... Just saying.

3. It would surprise me if Cato makes it out of that situation. The people that are hunting them seem greedy. I think they would take the money if Cato offered it in return for his freedom, and turn Cato in to get the reward

What happened to Ben was horrible. Why didn't August have him read that letter from jump? They could have avoided this whole mess. How did Noah recover from multiple gun shot wounds without medical care? I love John and Elizabeth.

• Love 1
57 minutes ago, tricknasty said:

What happened to Ben was horrible. Why didn't August have him read that letter from jump? They could have avoided this whole mess. How did Noah recover from multiple gun shot wounds without medical care? I love John and Elizabeth.

the same way august recovered from being shot in the back/neck (and still being able to swim and continue the hunt)...sarcasm lol

• Love 1

I feel badly for Ben but not for August.  Ben could've been shot accidentally at any time by the Patty Cannon gang, the Indians' arrows could've got him, he could've gotten stabbed at that brothel, etc.  August brought a little boy into a dangerous situation and is now mad because he got stuck.  Oh well, all those black people you chased got stuck too, so...

The kid that should be dying is TR for turning in Sam because James didn't want his dusty Necco wafers.  But he'll either get killed when he lies about his age and joins up with the Confederate Army in 4 years or end up destitute like James and 'em because the U.S. Government and/or Sherman confiscates/burns their little raggedy plantation, so he'll get what's coming to him in a few years.

• Love 9
(edited)
1 hour ago, drivethroo said:

I feel badly for Ben but not for August.  Ben could've been shot accidentally at any time by the Patty Cannon gang, the Indians' arrows could've got him, he could've gotten stabbed at that brothel, etc.  August brought a little boy into a dangerous situation and is now mad because he got stuck.  Oh well, all those black people you chased got stuck too, so...

The kid that should be dying is TR for turning in Sam because James didn't want his dusty Necco wafers.  But he'll either get killed when he lies about his age and joins up with the Confederate Army in 4 years or end up destitute like James and 'em because the U.S. Government and/or Sherman confiscates/burns their little raggedy plantation, so he'll get what's coming to him in a few years.

TR is the worst for turning Sam in and he could've done something about James' situation but he didn't.

I can see Ben escaping to the North and joining the Union Army late in the war if he survives being stabbed because of his father's foolhardy mission which he is beginning to see is reprehensible.

Boo is so adorable and badass at the same time. Taking a shot at John because he was yelling at Elizabeth was an awesome move. They need Boo more than Boo needs them which is the reverse of the white savior story that we always see like The Blindside.

Edited by maraleia
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, maraleia said:

TR is the worst for turning Sam in and he could've done something about James' situation but he didn't.

Like what?

I respectfully disagree. We'll never know either way, but I just don't think T.R.'s in a position to influence his father for the slaves' sake. At least not with Reverend Jackass running around. 

I loved the use of the Devil's Snare in this episode. In my opinion, it gave certain scenes an almost supernatural feel.

This episode had me stressed - well, they all do.

My heart hurts for poor little Boo. She has been through so much at such a young age. I really need her to make it.

Poor Ben. Did we get confirmation that he's dead?

I hope that was not the end of Cato. He's really grown on me.

(edited)
On 5/5/2016 at 4:14 PM, C76 said:

Like what?

I respectfully disagree. We'll never know either way, but I just don't think T.R.'s in a position to influence his father for the slaves' sake. At least not with Reverend Jackass running around. 

I loved the use of the Devil's Snare in this episode. In my opinion, it gave certain scenes an almost supernatural feel.

Agreed. Ernestine tried to prevent James' current situation from happening and probably  would have been successful had it not been for the reverend. However, TR is definitely not in a position to change James' situation. Any suggestions TR would have had most likely would've been shrugged off as "you're just a kid. Stay out of grown folks business."

On 5/5/2016 at 1:39 PM, maraleia said:

Although TR didn't have to turn Sam in, Sam would have gotten himself caught anyway because he attempted to get his freedom from other wealthy pro-slavery planters.

Edited by AntFTW
  • Love 1
On May 5, 2016 at 0:09 AM, ridethemaverick said:

I always felt like I "got" Cato, even when it seemed he was being devious, but I'm not too broken up about it. He did the same with Zeke so...it bes that way sometimes.

I forgot about that! Welp, you know what they say about Karma...

• Love 1

Although TR didn't have to turn Sam in, Sam would have gotten himself caught anyway because he attempted to get his freedom from other wealthy pro-slavery planters.

That's why the others left him behind in the first place. Sam wasn't about that running away life.

22 minutes ago, drivethroo said:

That's why the others left him behind in the first place. Sam wasn't about that running away life.

sam wasn't "left behind" though...he chose not to run. he basically was down with the plan all the way until it was actually time to put the plan in motion

• Love 1

Noah had received some form of medicare from Rosalee, when she dug the bullet from his shoulder and treated it with Devil's Snare.  That's why he spent most of Episode 8 either groggy or in a state of hallucination.  I don't think he has fully recovered yet.

Oh, I really want a Hollywood ending for everybody. I want Jonathon and Elizabeth and Rosalee to convince August to not let Ben have died in vain and then he sees the light and helps with the railroad, and then Rosalee and Noah get married and have a baby and name him Ben, and Steen is freed and August and Jay are like surrogate grandfathers and Jonathon and Elizabeth are the surrogate aunt and uncle, and everybody lives happily ever after and nobody ever speaks of the strange smell coming from the cellar. I REALLY WANT THAT TO HAPPEN. 

• Love 3

I remember all the way back to elementary school, when we learned about slavery in the South, wondering why slaves didn't just poison the people who "owned" them. I assumed either it was that kitchens were overseen or that the local vegetation was foreign enough that they couldn't get a handle on what worked. Ernestine could free that whole plantation. I wonder if maybe she will.

• Love 1

So the kid thought things would be different in ten years? I know kids don't have a sense of time, but James' ten years would be of hard labor and suffering, and therefore an eternity. But it does go a long way toward explaining why no wounds ever healed in the South, regardless of the Emancipation Proclamation. You can't wipe hate away with legislation.

• Love 1
On 5/5/2016 at 11:20 AM, drivethroo said:

I know this show is the last place to find humor but sweet baby Jesus if you don't have me crying with laughter. Between dusty Necco wafers, James and 'em, raggedy plantation .. I cannot stop laughing

• Love 1
(edited)

Fantastic episode. I am glad that this show is coming back for another season. :)

I am glad that Ben is still alive, even though he won't walk again. I was also happy to see how Tom and Elizabeth really thought everything through and how they succeeded with their plan. Loved that Boo ended up safe and happy, and I also liked that Cato survived. 

Tom definitely got his comeuppance. August on the other hand, just won't seem to go away, even though I enjoyed seeing the ladies get the best of him.

I wonder now what will happen with Ernestine next season and I hope that Noah ends up free. I am also looking forward to Rosalee and Harriet working together next season. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 5

This episode had so much. 

Cato lives! And that makes me happy. And that is not something I thought I'd ever say at the start of this sesaon.

Tom - rot in hell. Same for you too, Marshall Kyle. Good riddance.

I really wish Rosalee and Elizabeth had made sure August was dead.

I hope Rosalee can go back to get James.

Ms. Ernestine is being sold. Wonder what will happen to her. And what will happen to Noah in jail.

Also, HARRIET!!!!!!

I have so much more to say, but I'm still reeling from this finale.

So glad this show got a second season.

• Love 5
(edited)

Whoo! That was intense! I'm also glad Ben survives and I can't believe that I actually cheered when I saw Cato; I kinda figured he would, though. 

Oh, Noah. You should've shot that slave catcher and kept it moving. I hope he finds freedom, too. I enjoyed the standoff between him and the lawmen. Brilliant plan.

Careful Suzanne, Ernestine ain't nothing to mess with--just ask Pearly Mae and your husband. With that said, what an evil witch. I hope she gets the worst form of Karma--preferably from Ernestine.

I enjoyed the character development of Rosalee; she went from a sheltered housegirl to a full fledged freedom fighters---and she's joining forces with Harriet, lol!

The show was phenomenal; the acting, writing, historical references were excellent, and I appreciate the fact that the take no prisoners attitude from the Macon 7 and Ernestine.  After watching 12 Years a Slave, it was refreshing to see them stand up for themselves--despite the risks.

Season two cannot get here fast enough!

Edited by sereion
  • Love 7

Wow, that was amazing!

The scene where Rosalee remembered the Macon 7 fondly (even Cato!) really got to me. It was very touching. 

I thought for a second that Rosalee would become pregnant with Noah's child after that very well done love scene. It doesn't look like she will, as that would seemingly impede her plans for stealing slaves. Will Noah stay where he is for some time or will he be shipped off somewhere else? It's going to be very hard for Rosalee to find Noah and Earnestine, I think. Unless Noah will go back to Macon? Weren't runaways usually considered undesirable to take back when they had already escaped once?

I wonder if Earnestine knew that in killing Tom she was removing the thing that kept her safe with her only remaining child on the plantation or if she was just too far gone to care. Not that I blame her in the slightest for killing that disgusting man. 

Cato lives! 

And Harriet is here!

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, InsertWordHere said:

Wow, that was amazing!

The scene where Rosalee remembered the Macon 7 fondly (even Cato!) really got to me. It was very touching. 

I thought for a second that Rosalee would become pregnant with Noah's child after that very well done love scene. It doesn't look like she will, as that would seemingly impede her plans for stealing slaves. Will Noah stay where he is for some time or will he be shipped off somewhere else? It's going to be very hard for Rosalee to find Noah and Earnestine, I think. Unless Noah will go back to Macon? Weren't runaways usually considered undesirable to take back when they had already escaped once?

I wonder if Earnestine knew that in killing Tom she was removing the thing that kept her safe with her only remaining child on the plantation or if she was just too far gone to care. Not that I blame her in the slightest for killing that disgusting man. 

Cato lives! 

And Harriet is here!

Well, in her speech to Tom she said that safety wasn't real, and she was right. Had Tom lived, she would have had to go to Washington and leave James behind. Sure, Tom said that they would send for him, but we see how good Tom's word is (well, was). And now that Tom is dead she's being sold and has to leave James. She was going to lose either way. I really thought that Tom would sell her for fear that she would retaliate against him for Sam's death. 

I thought Rosalee would end up pregnant too, but I like what really happened better.

• Love 5