Type keyword(s) to search

S24: Normani Kordei - Will Her X Factor Translate Into Trophies?

• Start Topic

Normani Kordei Hamilton (born May 31, 1996), better known as Normani Kordei, is an American singer, dancer, and actress. She is a member of the girl group Fifth Harmony, which was formed on the second season of The X Factor US.

ABC-Normani-Kordei-Valentin-Chmerkovskiy-DWTS-ml-170228_4x3_992.jpg

I suppose this is workable but this'll be tough.  Here's the tour dates ( https://www.fifthharmony.com/events/ )

3/17 - Friday - Houston

3/18 - Saturday - Guatemala City, Guatemala

3/25 (3/24-Friday in USA) - Tokyo, Japan

3/26 (3/25-Saturday in USA) - Kobe, Japan

3/31 (3/30-Thursday in USA) - Hong Kong

4/1 (3/31-Friday in USA) - Taipei, Taiwan

4/5 (4/4-Tuesday in USA) - Manila Philippines

4/7 (4/6-Thursday in USA) - Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

4/8 (4/7-Friday in USA) - Singapore

It's roughly a 12 hour flight between LA and the Asia cities.

She'll lose a day flying west and gain the day back flying east.

I'd assume she'd use a private jet and can avoid connections but

she (and Val and at least 1 producer/camera guy, possibly 1 expediter)

will still have to deal with customs.

She's my pick to win, big fanbase, great dancer. Only thing that gives hope to the others, is she is probably the least popular member of Fifth Harmony in terms of social media Followers and some people not wanting Val to win back to back.

She's my pick to win, by a large margin honestly. Way too many factors working in her favor.

Likable, extremely large and loyal fanbase that will absolutely spend the entire night voting, partnered with Val who's also extremely popular with his own base of fans that vote for him and on top of all of that, she is a GREAT dancer.

Barring injury, anything outside of the final 2 will be a major upset.

I'm also rooting for her lol, I think she's lovely.

I'm not as confident at the size of Normani's fanbase. 5H has fans but that base is really fractured into the individual girls and the shippers within the group, with former member Karla Camila Cabello having the biggest fanbase and most social media followers. Camila's own fans sent Normani disgusting racist messages until Normani took a social media break because they didn't like the way Normani acted in an interview. The 5H fanbase is the most dysfunctional disaster I've ever seen. I wouldn't assume they'd vote for Normani.

http://www.fuse.tv/2016/08/fifth-harmony-normani-kordei-twitter-racism

• Love 2

5the Harmony definitely has a large fanbase, but ever since that one girl left, I feel like it's fractured with everyone supporting their fave, and Normani is one of the least popular members of the group....Will see, if 5th harmony fans come together & actually vote I can see her in the finals, but they may also be like a bethany, hayes, that teen blonde guy with wine (forgot his name) where they are more concerned with tweets than voting....so who knows.

I do think she will be a great dancer and she seems sweet although a little quiet. I think her and Val will get on well so it will be interesting what they produce.

• Love 2

As a dedicated harmonizer, we are crazy. We definitely are unique. We roast each members and sometimes even critize them. We are their biggest fans and haters. Whatever we do not like we make sure is changed. We cannot be compared to these other youtuber fanbase online celebrities because we are very smart. Although not the biggest of the teen fanbases, we are the most passionate and organized. We have beat 1D and Beyonce many of times because we are dedicated. If we all unite towards a goal we do not stop until we accomplished. We are almost are like their managers. We got them lawyers and actually got them signed to Syco and epic thanks to our craziness.Unlike most of the internet celebrities fans we do not follow them because they are good looking but because we have stuck with them since the beginning through thick and thin. We have always been the underdogs and will power vote for Normani until our fingers bleed. Do not get it twisted. We are loyal. Thick as thieves. 

• Love 1

Normani's schedule is insane, particularly in the first few weeks. Hopefully a Tamar situation doesn't develop where she runs herself ragged right past breaking point. And Val's been going non-stop for years, it feels like. He usually goes deep into every season, then he's been on every tour. I know he's a workaholic and presumably thrives on pushing himself and others so hard, but geez.

Other than that, I didn't know anything about her outside of being aware that Fifth Harmony exists. Seemed really sweet and nice, but rather shy? I'm also not sure how the main DWTS demo will take to her, she's probably not on their radar at all (compared to people like Olympians or slightly older entertainers). Looking forward to her dancing, I have a feeling that Val's stylistic preferences might really suit her.

I didn't know much about her until the racist twitter drama this summer and probably wouldn't have learned about it at all except it happened at the same time as the Leslie Jones twitter stuff. The things "Harmonizers" sent to her were some of the most disgusting things I have ever seen. Its why I don't have much faith in the Harmonizers backing her now. If you're the sort of person who takes the time to photoshop a picture of Normani being lynched, I don't see you as someone who will vote for her on DWTS.

That being said her response to the situation was admirable (though she shouldn't have had to be graceful about any of it. She doesn't need to say nice things about a bandmate who has called her the N-word no matter what fans demand.) I'm looking forward to seeing more of her and learning more about her because what I've seen so far impressed me.

• Love 3

Normani will be very good as she has plenty of training, but I think it's far too soon to declare her the winner.  5th Harmony fans know how to vote for sure, but nobody wins this show without winning over the main older DWTS fanbase.  Normani isn't known to most of the older core fanbase as yet.  I like Normani, but she is a bit on the shyer side off the dance floor so I don't know how she will come off.  5th Harmony fans are assuming she has this in the bag without even knowing how the show works.  I also hope her fans realize that tweeting is not voting.  They can trend all day, every day but it will have no relation to her staying on the show.

Not to mention I tend to agree 5th Harmony fans are somewhat fractured these days, on top of which many are international and international voting has gotten harder over the years.  Also most of the things 5th Harmony fans have had to vote on so far were for the group, not an individual member, so I'm not sure how that will pan out.

As for the rest, is anyone really going to be itching to give Val yet another trophy?  Yes, he's popular, but I'm not so sure.  Even his core fanbase is starting to get annoyed with him.

This is not to say Normani can't win.  I think she will make the finals if she can get through those first few weeks unscathed.  One thing in her favor is that the major ringer ire is focused on Heather and not her.  If Heather weren't here, she would likely be getting more backlash.  But I certainly don't think it's in the bag from day one, no matter what her fans think.

Also FWIW, this is the first season since maybe S18 where I couldn't declare a winner from day one of the cast announcement.  Or at least not with 99% certainty.  Meryl, Alfonso, Rumer, Bindi, Nyle, Laurie.  Every season was so completely obvious based either on fanbase or story (whether legit or the story the show was pushing for them via editing).  Here's hoping to some unpredictability for once.

Sidenote: Do we think the show is actually footing the bill for a private jet from Asia to the US for her? I highly doubt it.  Maybe her label will foot the bill but that is a lot of money for the show to be throwing down for one celeb.  It will cost enough just for them to have to fly Val, cameraman and etc. back and forth via regular means.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 2
On 3/13/2017 at 0:19 PM, spanana said:

As for the rest, is anyone really going to be itching to give Val yet another trophy?  Yes, he's popular, but I'm not so sure.  Even his core fanbase is starting to get annoyed with him.

Are they? How so?

17 hours ago, PTVjones said:

Are they? How so?

Sorry, I realized that was probably a rather broad blanket, perhaps unfair, statement on my part.  Also of course I think online fans are only a small part of a fanbase.  Val I'm sure has many core fans that will likely vote for him no matter what.  But Val has waded into controversy with some of his political/social justice takes, in some cases his treatment of women/relationships (I think he is now on Jenna round 3, despite the fact that a few months ago Jenna referred to it as a one sided toxic relationship), and from a show perspective, just being tired of his choreography and thinking he needs a break.  He also didn't entirely start things off on the right foot with Normani's fans either when he declared that he wanted the team name to be "Booty and the Beast". Yes, Normani went along with it at first until people talked sense into her...but why objectify Normani in that way?  But of course subjective, so mileage may vary.  

The interesting thing about Normani/Val is that Normani's fans are very vocal.  If they are pissed at something or don't like something Val does, he will hear about it in a major way.

28 minutes ago, spanana said:

Sorry, I realized that was probably a rather broad blanket, perhaps unfair, statement on my part.  Also of course I think online fans are only a small part of a fanbase.  Val I'm sure has many core fans that will likely vote for him no matter what.  But Val has waded into controversy with some of his political/social justice takes, in some cases his treatment of women/relationships (I think he is now on Jenna round 3, despite the fact that a few months ago Jenna referred to it as a one sided toxic relationship), and from a show perspective, just being tired of his choreography and thinking he needs a break.  He also didn't entirely start things off on the right foot with Normani's fans either when he declared that he wanted the team name to be "Booty and the Beast". Yes, Normani went along with it at first until people talked sense into her...but why objectify Normani in that way?  But of course subjective, so mileage may vary.  

The interesting thing about Normani/Val is that Normani's fans are very vocal.  If they are pissed at something or don't like something Val does, he will hear about it in a major way.

Gotcha... Jenna has stated things publicly about their relationship? Where can I find this juice??? lol I noticed she's not in the troupe this year. I wonder if their relationship has factored into that. 

12 minutes ago, PTVjones said:

Gotcha... Jenna has stated things publicly about their relationship? Where can I find this juice??? lol I noticed she's not in the troupe this year. I wonder if their relationship has factored into that. 

She's never expressly said his name but she started a lifestyle blog to talk about her self esteem, depression, etc. issues and so there are mentions aimed at Val sprinkled without. http://getrealwithjen.com/

21 hours ago, blaase said:

Didn't expect her to be so lacking in personality and charisma, could see her getting only half way.

Really? Did you not see how much sass and face she was serving compared to Dull Heather? Stiff Simone? Boring Nancy? If we are talking about personality really only Charo and Mr T have an A on that department. She is going way past the half way point she wouldn't do the show if she knew she's not gonna go far because she is sacrificing a lot by having to do this show and tour around the world. Plus everyone is mass voting for her.

• Love 1
On 3/15/2017 at 9:15 AM, PTVjones said:

Jenna has never stated anything about her relationship with Val. 

(edited)

I hate to do this but she is my favorite.  I'm such bad luck.  To me, she's the best dancer/performer this season and the female side is loaded.  I hope she has a decent fanbase.  The only issue I have is she's with Val.  I guess I should've known she was good when they paired her with him.  But Val just won last season.  We don't need another Derek-type winner.  What a conundrum!!!

Edited by crossover
  • Love 1

I think it's obvious that she has the best chances of winning. I find that it's easy to tell with this show who the frontrunner is and who has the best chances of winning, and even with the strong female competition, Normani seems to have the Mirrorball in the bag. Unless she really screws up her next dances, then I can see her winning. 

Normani seems sweet and her dancing is awesome. I have mixed feelings about Val, though, and don't really want to see another freestyle from him. I'd rather see what Emma or Artem or Sasha can do. 

• Love 2

She gave two back to back strong performances while touring and traveling and her last show of the 5H tour is friday. I can't imagine how well she'll do when she's stationed back in LA and can practice more and get more sleep.

Girl is fire. She knows the moves, executes them well and embodies each dance. I am anxious to see something slow though. All 3 dances have been kinda of showy, faster numbers. If she can deliver a Rumba, Waltz, or Contemporary as good as these 3, she's a shoe in for the finals.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, blaase said:

She is clearly a strong dancer but she is just so dull. I think that's hurting her.

I think you hit the nail on the head for me. I've been wondering what has been bugging me about her that hasn't put her in my top three favourites. I mean, she's clearly going to win (unless her fans totally screw her) and she's a wonderfully strong dancer, but there's been something missing, and you're right. There's not any real sparkling personality from her. I mean, she's no Bonner Bolton, but she's just kind of there when she isn't dancing. It's not a bad thing that she's not over the top or anything, but it's making it harder for me to put her as a favourite to win (rather than a frontrunner to win) because I am more interested in seeing Nancy, Nick, and even Heather. 

What bugs me is lack of content. This Paso Doble was not great. It started out with decent Paso movement, some good chaises capes, and then what the hell happened? Out of control turns, a 25 sec fight scene with no Paso Doble then I must have counted 3 or 4 messy kicks into ronde de jamb, wtf that's no Paso that's filler . Way over scored 

1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

I think you hit the nail on the head for me. I've been wondering what has been bugging me about her that hasn't put her in my top three favourites. I mean, she's clearly going to win (unless her fans totally screw her) and she's a wonderfully strong dancer, but there's been something missing, and you're right. There's not any real sparkling personality from her. I mean, she's no Bonner Bolton, but she's just kind of there when she isn't dancing. It's not a bad thing that she's not over the top or anything, but it's making it harder for me to put her as a favourite to win (rather than a frontrunner to win) because I am more interested in seeing Nancy, Nick, and even Heather. 

She's introverted and she doesn't seem all that comfortable about letting her guard down. I like her, none of this bothers me and I don't need any of the contestants to give me more insights into themselves than they're comfortable with. But yeah, it'll probably hurt with the main demo. They'd want to get to know her better (since they probably aren't into 5H) and they often want vulnerability. Normani seems too guarded for that to happen, and Val certainly won't push for it. They seem to have good rapport, she dances well, why jeopardize that by trying to coerce her to play along more with the show's manipulations?

I'm going to go against what seems to be the general consensus, but I actually think Normani is not going to win and may even be a surprise boot. I just don't believe that her fanbase is quite as big as people might think.  It seems like Fifth Harmony fans have a big online presence, but I get the sense that their US fanbase is not really that big.  The have had a couple of high charting songs, but their US tour was actually pretty small.  Even more so, I don't think people recognize them individually and certainly not the DWTS demo.  She dances quite well, but unless her personality starts winning some more people over, I'm going to guess she's going to fall short of the mirror ball.

• Love 1

I'm don't know if she's gonna win, shes got a shot but she's definitely going to be in the finals. A lot of people watch dwts, but a good chunk of the gp doesn't vote, at least not until the final (I use to be the same way). So of the chunk of the gp that are voting, there are So many potential gp demo faves, that I think it actually helps Norman survive with mostly a 5h fanbase. Her voting block isn't that split, but the demo voting block south probably spread/split between david, nancy, rashad, Simone and maybe even a little of nick. I think because of that, if she continues to dance the way she did last night, she'll definitely be in the finals.

8 hours ago, katha said:

She's introverted and she doesn't seem all that comfortable about letting her guard down. I like her, none of this bothers me and I don't need any of the contestants to give me more insights into themselves than they're comfortable with. But yeah, it'll probably hurt with the main demo. They'd want to get to know her better (since they probably aren't into 5H) and they often want vulnerability. Normani seems too guarded for that to happen, and Val certainly won't push for it. They seem to have good rapport, she dances well, why jeopardize that by trying to coerce her to play along more with the show's manipulations?

I get this; I'm just as introverted and I think being there would terrify me. It's not that I hate her or don't think she deserves to win, because she does. I just have other favourites in the competition that I might like a bit more. Normani, for me, is the most qualified performer, but I just like others before her. I guess when you see her performing in a huge band (and I mean truly huge at least with international audiences) you assume that she's going to be this extroverted girl. It's surprising and presumptuous of me to see otherwise. This is really no fault of Normani's. She seems like a well adjusted young female, even with all the fame. I just find myself drawn to others like Nancy, Heather, and Nick. 

• Love 1

All the candidates know what they sign up for at this point, it's been 24 seasons. And viewers like who they like, nothing wrong with that. Introverts just have it tough on this show, it is what it is. You had people like Nastia and Bethany and this season you have variations on this theme with Normani, Nancy and Heather. All dancing well, all rather self-contained. And IMO it will become a problem to some degree for all of them. Normani can sell it in performance and is "louder" there, so she's getting more attention. But how much she connects with the general audience beyond the dancing is anybody's guess....

4 hours ago, katha said:

All the candidates know what they sign up for at this point, it's been 24 seasons. And viewers like who they like, nothing wrong with that. Introverts just have it tough on this show, it is what it is. You had people like Nastia and Bethany and this season you have variations on this theme with Normani, Nancy and Heather. All dancing well, all rather self-contained.

I would agree with this, though I would add Simone to the list of contestants on this season who are introverted and self-contained.  It makes for an interesting horserace, as I think few would argue that these four women are the best dancers on the show.  I think this is what may allow a male contestant with less dance ability, but a more extroverted personality, to make it into the final 3.  I'd guess David will last longer than one of the four top women for this reason, and Rashad may actually make it into the final 3.

Normani is not boring. Are we all watching the same show. If anyone is boring in the cast of females, its nancy, heather and simone. Normani is the only one with a lively and positive attitude.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, crossover said:

It doesn't sound like she doesn't think that she can comtinue?

She's very young and according to val the doctor said it was serious . If I was her I would look at it this way :I m a singer/performer the injury could hurt my career ,is dwts really worth it? But again that's me but u right she didn't sound like she's can't continue but according to her fans on twitter she never complains so we can't actually tell what she's feeling .

if this was towards the beginning of the season i'd be more worried. There are only 3 weeks left so i think she'll be able to get through it. Val also said that he'll choreograph the dances differently. 

I noticed he already took out lifts in the AT, it was a great dance anyway. They have contemporary next week, which also often relies on lifts in this show, but no one says they have to incorporate 50 lifts. So they'll just focus more on dancing, I'm sure it can be done.

http://hollywoodlife.com/2017/05/03/normani-kordei-dwts-blog-bullies-perfect-score/ 

"The biggest challenge for me so far was opening up. I wanted to walk in knowing that I’d be a different person walking out. The show has just taught me to love myself and open up and know that people can also look at you with kind hearts. I think that I’m so used to being judged. Me being a public figure, especially being a woman, people try to tear you down. I was bullied on social media a lot, so I’m very reserved and closed off, and I’m kind of scared to let them in because I don’t know how I’ll be accepted or if I’ll even be accepted so I think that’s what I’ve had to overcome." - Normani

• Love 3

De-lurking here to say she's skimming the surface here by saying she was bullied. My sister (who's a big 5H fan) told me she was racially abused on social media with some pretty graphic pictures being tweeted to her. That's why she took a break from it then and remains closed off during interviews and such now.

• Love 3
(edited)

The kind of bullying she endured should be criminal.  Seriously, the bullying she received on-line could cause PTSD.

Edited by gohawks
  • Love 6

Yep and I do think it probably explains somewhat why she is more guarded. The things "fans" of her group sent to her for the smallest reasons were truly disgusting and hateful. I get that she doesn't want to give it and them more power by talking up what they did but I get why she struggles to seem engaged.

• Love 1

Normani mentioned something about "an article taken out of context," or an interview that was taken out of context, which precipitated all this racist shit being thrown at her. Does anyone know where I could see that interview? Because I am trying to envision what this article could have possibly said to make a bunch of lunatics photoshop hate crimes with her face on them.