Type keyword(s) to search

S24: Nancy Kerrigan - Skating Rings Around Her Rivals

• Start Topic

24 minutes ago, jennifer6973 said:
  1. No, but I think she can do better then Sabrina and Louis who re-created it during All Star Season.

Lacey and Kyle also re-created it.  At least, Artem should have different choreography.

What an awful song choice, totally ruined my excitement for her dance. Forget that it's an awful song not suited to paso in the first place, anything she does will be compared to Mel B's dance. She literally cannot win with this one. This is why I hate it when they recycle songs, especially ones performed and scored high in the past.

• Love 1

If the show has to do pop music for a Paso, then this is as good as any imho.  It's been over used for avid watchers, but it's been 5 years. I get more upset over crappy music for Argentine Tango, that really requires traditional music.  Len could bring out the 10 paddle since she is the one who got his first 9, for the Samba, and he likes to reward dancers on dynamic Latin dances which is his own specialty. A 10 from Len means votes.  He is holding up this team as the ones who can handle tough technique, and Nancy is arguably the best technical amateur dancer this season.  If Nancy can channel intensity then she could give us another pleasant surprise.  Artem has been killing the choreo this season, and he's the Paso King,  so Nancy has been well served.  I prefer that Nancy gets Paso now, because I don't want her to compete head to head against Rashad on Paso, "the man's dance"  Nancy is my favorite, but Rashad is pretty damn great.  

Edited by RedFiat

I hated Sabrina's dance, so hopefully they don't go in that direction. It's a challenge, but I think Artem just has to make it distinct and appropriate for Nancy. Mel B is a way different performer and the whole concept and choreo of that dance was perfect for her, Artem needs to find an individual approach that won't lead to comparisons. It's a good song for a paso, though.

• Love 2

Artem's pasos are decent based on previous performances but personally Rumba is definitely his best dance to choreograph in my opinion. I remember him saying his favourite dance was American Smooth but of course they don't have that as a style on DWTS. He used to always get in trouble with Len regarding what constituted an American Smooth and what didn't. I really hate that free your mind song though, what I'd give for a traditional paso to traditional dramatic paso music!

2 hours ago, Emily-D said:

Artem's pasos are decent based on previous performances but personally Rumba is definitely his best dance to choreograph in my opinion. I remember him saying his favourite dance was American Smooth but of course they don't have that as a style on DWTS. 

Not quite true.  Foxtrot, Waltz, and Viennese Waltz are all done American Smooth style on DWTS.  They're simply not called American Smooth on DWTS because American Smooth isn't an actual dance but a dance style that has different hold and footwork requirements from International Standard.  Because SCD has both International Standard Foxtrot and American Smooth Foxtrot (which is usually, but not always, the go-to dance for "American Smooth" on SCD), SCD distinguishes them by calling International Standard Foxtrot "Foxtrot" (known as "Slowfox" on the other European versions) and American Smooth Foxtrot "American Smooth."

7 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Not quite true.  Foxtrot, Waltz, and Viennese Waltz are all done American Smooth style on DWTS.  They're simply not called American Smooth on DWTS because American Smooth isn't an actual dance but a dance style that has different hold and footwork requirements from International Standard.  Because SCD has both International Standard Foxtrot and American Smooth Foxtrot (which is usually, but not always, the go-to dance for "American Smooth" on SCD), SCD distinguishes them by calling International Standard Foxtrot "Foxtrot" (known as "Slowfox" on the other European versions) and American Smooth Foxtrot "American Smooth."

Also in the UK you are allowed two lifts in the American Smooth whereas lifts are banned in all other ballroom dances. All I know is Artem and Len have had some proper ding dongs over what constitutes an American Smooth and what doesn't based on YouTube clips. Funny to watch considering Artem and Len are probably best buddies at the moment.

I remember in the live youtube streams from the rehearsals with Patti Artem said that his fav dance was Paso lol

I personally am not a Paso fan, it's probably one of my least fav styles. I LOVE Artem's smooth and flowy ballroom dances though. Is it fair for a man to have such gorgeous lines? I think not! lol it's especially mind boggling considering he is long limbed. I mean he is average height for a Russian man, there are guys, including here in DWTS that are taller than him. But, at least it looks like, his limbs are proportionally longer than average. It makes his lines that much more impressive.

• Love 1

I love that Artem has a partner that shows Artem's strength in this competition, that is solid ballroom technique combined with interesting choreography. As much as the kids are entertaining the lack of technique just makes it less enjoyable for me. 

• Love 1
On 4/22/2017 at 1:34 PM, vavera4ka said:

I LOVE Artem's smooth and flowy ballroom dances though. Is it fair for a man to have such gorgeous lines? I think not! lol it's especially mind boggling considering he is long limbed. I mean he is average height for a Russian man, there are guys, including here in DWTS that are taller than him. But, at least it looks like, his limbs are proportionally longer than average. It makes his lines that much more impressive.

Your comment is the reason I joined this site today! I had to cosign about Artem's gorgeous lines, but I need to add how much I love how he uses his arms and hands. Just exquisite. I used to be a massive Maks fan, but his crazy has turned me off. Artem's chill along with how beautiful his lines are has totally won me over. And I just love his partnership with Nancy.

I love his American Smooth dances on SCD and hope to see him do similar style dances with Nancy. She's got the grace to carry off his choreography.

Edited by apriltea
  • Love 3

It looks like some radically different Choreography for Nancy and Artem for the En Vogue tune.   I'm looking forward to it. 

(source : OfficiaL Artem Fans  on Twitter) 

C-Ijx6TXoAAzUnj.jpg

Edited by RedFiat

OMG! I hope that whatever paso concept Artem has come up with that Nancy will really commit to it. I also hope that he keeps his trend of having a lot of content in the dance...that route has been really working well for them so far.

I'm not a huge fan of the paso, though Artem seems to love it.  I often think it looks a bit silly, so I'm with those of you keeping my fingers crossed we get to see an Artem rumba for Nancy.  He's a Rumba Meister, imo. 

This is his rumba in the semi-final of SCD with Kara Tointon (maybe my favourite dance ever, so hope it isn't geoblocked).  A treat for fans of his arms and hands, too ?

Edited by ceebee
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Emily-D said:

Oh god, Len is not going to like that.

Because of a cage?  

4 hours ago, calipiano81 said:

OMG! I hope that whatever paso concept Artem has come up with that Nancy will really commit to it. I also hope that he keeps his trend of having a lot of content in the dance...that route has been really working well for them so far.

I agree,  Artem has to do something completely different  for Nancy to get the dramatic points, and I am sure he's not going to abandon content. 

3 hours ago, ceebee said:

I'm not a huge fan of the paso, though Artem seems to love it.  I often think it looks a bit silly, so I'm with those of you keeping my fingers crossed we get to see an Artem rumba for Nancy.  He's a Rumba Meister, imo. 

This is his rumba in the semi-final of SCD with Kara Tointon (maybe my favourite dance ever, so hope it isn't geoblocked).  A treat for fans of his arms and hands, too ?

Ha I posted the same one!  And the Viennese Waltz.  

7 hours ago, ceebee said:

OMG....Kara looks like a pro. What a beautiful Rumba. I saw one off balance issue with Kara and it was minute. Artem was Kara's domestic partner from 2010 to 2014. Was this after she appeared with him on Strictly?

1 hour ago, luvthepros said:

OMG....Kara looks like a pro. What a beautiful Rumba. I saw one off balance issue with Kara and it was minute. Artem was Kara's domestic partner from 2010 to 2014. Was this after she appeared with him on Strictly?

Yes, there was a tiny wobble on a backwards step and she got points docked for her feet coming off the floor in a spin!  Gah!  

She did become a really lovely dancer, but they never got a perfect score.  It still rankles with me today!  

They tried to keep the relationship secret for a while on the show, but precisely no-one was surprised when they spent that Christmas together!  

They were already falling in love when they did the rumba and I think it shows.

Edited by ceebee

I think I'm more concerned about scores, since the judges tend to be stingier in the first half. Hopefully with Simone going first, the score bar might get started higher.

Nancy needs all the points she can get, especially since I predict that the boys' team dance will win.

4 hours ago, luvthepros said:

Luv,  it was after the show they started dating. So cute they were..  

44 minutes ago, calipiano81 said:

I think I'm more concerned about scores, since the judges tend to be stingier in the first half. Hopefully with Simone going first, the score bar might get started higher.

Nancy needs all the points she can get, especially since I predict that the boys' team dance will win.

hmm... I think the boys will win the fans but the girls might win the points. 

Some bull,she should have out-lasted the two stiff duds bachelor  dude and that bullrider.

Edit. Glad she stayed, hopefully she thinks all that booing was for the fact that the bullrider/bachelor are still in it instead of Heather and not directed at her staying instead of Heather.

Edited by blaase
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, blaase said:

Edit. Glad she stayed, hopefully she thinks all that booing was for the fact that the bullrider/bachelor are still in it instead of Heather and not directed at her staying instead of Heather.

As someone who is pissed about Heather leaving, my issue is with Bonner/David/Nick and not Nancy. Once it came down to any of the women, I knew I'd be upset. Heather was my favourite but I knew she wasn't winning and probably not making the finals. I have said since fairly early on I'd be happy with a final made up of any combo of Heather/Normani/Rashad/Nancy/Simone with Simone being my least favourite of the five but still thinking she's pretty good. I don't want to lose any of the four remaining before we lose the crappy guy dancers and I am actually worried about Nancy next week (that package was mean, the boot switch did screw with her balance and the women's dance wasn't a showstopper) so hopefully being in the "bottom" motivates people to vote for her. Because if we lose another great dancer to someone who is stompy I don't think I'd want to watch the rest of the season.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

Nancy would be the logical person to get it. I don't think Simone, Normani and Rashad need it, and the other guys aren't going to have the highest scores.

If they give it to Nancy, then she's the one TPTB wants to win.  The same if it's Normani or Simone.  It would be different if there was just one lady left with dance experience.  But there's 3.  There's no need to give it to any of the ladies.  Rashad is different.  He's performed better than any of the men.  So if he needs saving, I can see why they would give it to him.

I think Nancy is the most vulnerable woman left now. I can't see Normani or Simone not making the final, so she could use the immunity more than them.

Then again, in all the seasons with immunity, only two ended up winning. (Kellie and Amber)

Edited by PBGamer89

Once we know the dance styles, we will have a better idea of who is likely to get immunity. If Normani has jazz or contemporary, she will most likely get it. 

I don't really see Nancy getting immunity since she has never been at the top of the leaderboard before. If she suddenly did get the top score, that would actually make me worry a little, because I would wonder if she was having trouble with votes.

Yes, the top scoring couple of the night gets immunity and a few points added to their score and they cannot be eliminated that evening. The remaining 6 couples face off in pairs and the winning couple of each pair gets points added to their score. However, all of those 6 couples are still up for elimination that evening (so any extra points might end up being for nothing).

Nancy's blog for Week 6:

http://www.teamusa.org/News/2017/April/25/Nancy-Kerrigan-Blogs-About-Learning-2-Dances-And-Dealing-With-Suggestive-Choreography

Edited by calipiano81

Given that Nancy had a lot of extraneous issues going on last week according to her blog, she pulled through pretty well. Yes there were notes for her to take back, but I thought some of the dancing was incredibly strong, a leap that you would only see a man do in traditional Paso becomes Nancy's and that's pretty cool. Girl Power!

I am definitely worrying for her next week, as I have all along, but the show is I think is now trying to poke the bear and look for Kerrigan flaws so she is going to be particularly vulnerable.  

I think her scores all through the competition have been very conservative, and with Paso the scores tried to reflect there is something going on with her, when in fact she is merely juggling the expectations of the show, and as a Mom, understands too well the anxiety of how overt sexuality affects the audience and who is watching. This is a concern of a lot of moms who enjoy dance and Disney, but then must acknowledge that DWTS is also adult in content.  

Simone Biles is the embodiment of that anxiety, and I personally think the show is pushing it too much on her.  I had this issue with Laurie last year, and it seems the show is continuing in that vein for Simone. Rather than giving the girls the equipment to be poised and effusive about their experience they are reduced to giggles. The show is rewarding a massive fan base for these gymnasts, and yet in doing so they are pushing a maturity the girls haven't experienced.  I am not a prude, but it feels exploitive when a young girl is expected to advance seemlessly into womanhood with men 10 or more years their senior before they are ready.  Maybe it's because the show goes from PG Disney one week and in the next week the same women celebs are spreading their legs across a chair, but what Nancy mentioned in her blog should be a note for the show.  Doubtful they will hear it, or if they do they'll say good bye Nancy, since sex, even for girls who are unprepared to handle it, sells.  

Edited by RedFiat

I think there is a difference between sexy and suggestive and I think the main demographic that watches DWTS prefers the former, so I don't see why the need to sell the latter. I think Nancy does sexy fine - I thought her cha cha and samba were sexy, but in a sophisticated way.

But even with just "sexy," it actually bothers me a bit how Simone keeps being pushed to be that way, especially by Sasha, who is supposed to be one of the more patient, understanding male pros. Mark never pushed any of his girls (from Shawn to Candace) to be sexy, he always emphasized being "sassy" and confident instead.

• Love 5
56 minutes ago, calipiano81 said:

I don't see why the need to sell the latter

I don't either, but the bump and grind time on this show has really escalated from the salad days. I really liked the old days on the show where the opening dances were, well dances.  I agree that Mark had young dancers and was always appropriate, as well as Zendaya and Val.  Then, something has happened first with Laurie and Val and now Simone and Sasha, and it doesn't seem appropriate some how. These girls haven't all of a sudden became more mature, in fact they are less mature than Shawn or Zendaya because Shawn and Zendaya were allowed to just be themselves, young beautiful women with age appropriate  dancing.   

Edited by RedFiat
  • Love 2

Are there no young male dancers they can hire? I agree, it looks weird when 30 year old men dance with young girls. Nothing inappropriate has ever happened, but it just looks weird. I would rather see people like Laurie and Simone with people closer to their age. Same goes for the 30 year old women who dance with little boys. As much as I love Emma, she looked weird dancing with that Hayes boy.

The partnerships have always been strange, but it's particularly strange for very young girls.  Even though Sasha looks elfin like, and they look pretty good together, I was more disturbed by the lead in package and the pushing the "sex" vibe on Simone.   

Anyway, I'd love for Nancy to get  immunity, but I think it will go to someone who either doesn't need it, or someone who we think doesn't need it.  I think the show really doesn't care much for Nancy, they have given lots of praise for dances that should have got at least one 10, I'm thinking her Samba, her Jazz, even her Foxtrot.  None of these dances were good enough, and now Len has dropped her to Bonner's level on the Paso.  So it's clear the guys are getting the votes and they are rewarding them for substandard dancing, while raising the bar and crucifying Nancy.  If folks didn't vote she's toast.  

Edited by RedFiat
1 hour ago, boyznkatz said:

Are there no young male dancers they can hire? I agree, it looks weird when 30 year old men dance with young girls. Nothing inappropriate has ever happened, but it just looks weird. I would rather see people like Laurie and Simone with people closer to their age. Same goes for the 30 year old women who dance with little boys. As much as I love Emma, she looked weird dancing with that Hayes boy.

They do have Alan.  He's about the same age as Lindsay, Witney, and Jenna.  That makes him in his early 20's.  Brandon from the troupe is also in his early 20's.

calipiano81, I gave your post a like because I agree with everything you said.  Latin dancing is sexy enough.  It doesn't need to be suggestive.  I dislike the bump and grind routines. 

I also agree that I like how Mark was creative with his dances so he didn't make his dances sexy for those that were uncomfortable with it.  Val was also great with Zendaya.

Edited by realdancemom
3 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

Nancy won't milk her injuries like Bonner, though. I wonder if he is still around because they show keeps shouting about how injured he is, and how brave he is to be there?

The difference is Bonner is dancing poorly and stiffly because of the injury.  James Hinchcliffe was healed well enough to dance well despite the possible life ending injury he had.  And Nancy is dancing through a significant injury, and so I'm hugely impressed with Artem's choreography that has deftly hid any sign of injury.  She's Jennifer Grey without the constant reminders that she's dancing hurt.  

Well I agree, James' injury was bad at the time, but it didn't leave him disabled like Bonner, who shouldn't really be on the show. TPTB obviously put him there to milk his injury, and it seems to be working. I just hope Nancy doesn't get tossed as a result.

Double elim next Monday! And Nancy was middle of the leaderboard this week...are TPTB trying to get rid of Nancy for another "shock" or are they trying to get rid of the boys?

Also, Nancy/Artem got the movie genre I wanted (romance), but not the dance style (tango)...why couldn't they have gotten rumba?! Doesn't ballroom tango make it harder to portray romance if the couple has to be facing away from each other in hold?

Finally, the song "Pretty Woman"...another performance for Nancy to be compared to (Nicole and Derek got raves for their Pretty Woman tango in Season 10).

Yeah Nancy gets to try and re-create iconic dances this smells yet again.  The show must really not want her anywhere near the finals . Given her technique she will do great but being compared to Nicole who is theatre trained and now guest judge Mandy Moore will go with performance over technique so Nancy for sure is not getting near immunity.  I'm sad we may never get to see her Rumba or Argentine Tango two amazing dances that Artem does wonderfully well on with his partners who can handle the technical complexities  I hope she at least gets to Samba in a dance off. 

Edited by RedFiat
  • Love 1