Type keyword(s) to search

S24: Nancy Kerrigan - Skating Rings Around Her Rivals

• Start Topic

If there was a dance style that I thought was incongruous with Nancy it was Latin.  She really surprised me tonight.  Her hip action actually existed (which I didn't expect) and her foot placement was quite good.  Too bad about all the confetti on the floor;  I think she slipped around a bit too much because of it.  I always enjoyed her skating because of the grace of her spirals and spins but she never looked like she was having fun.  She sure looks like she's having fun here.  

• Love 2

Count me in amongst the slightly surprised to find themselves on the Nancy bandwagon, though I'll generally root for a figure skater on principle.  I've always felt that she was really given a raw deal by the media coverage around the '94 Olympics, though in those days being a US woman figure skater who didn't bring home the gold was well nigh unforgiveable (how times have changed). She somehow failed to be pretty-pretty and attractively fragile, instead showing actual physical pain (how dare she!!?) and then defensiveness as she realized that the only way she could take the narrative back from the Tonya debacle - by winning her gold medal - had slipped away.  I actually think she showed a remarkable amount of poise, especially given her well-documented shyness and social awkwardness, during the '94 events, and she is to be commended on how well she has maintained her fitness and (IMO) actually improved her gracefulness over the course of a long though low-key professional career. However, like most other people, I was fairly sure that she would have big trouble with Latin, and perhaps also overall with the slight stiffness and inward-looking focus that characterized her amateur career. So I'm absolutely delighted to see how well she performed, especially this week with her first Latin. I doubt she'll hit the finals with three strong, and younger, women in contention, but I'd like to see her go as far as possible. Go Nancy!

• Love 12

I'm sorry, but I never saw beautiful.  I did not enjoy her skating, but I have not yet watched her dance.  Hopefully she does well.   Nancy was more refined than Tonya Harding, but just as unattractive in a different way.  Horsey is what my dad used to call her. 

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Venee said:

used that wack to the knee to her full advantage, even her crying on the ground after the assault seemed staged , she had a whole speech going remember "WHYYYYYYY WHYYYY MEEEE WHYYY ANYONNEEE"  (such a strange response).

The way my sister perceived it was she had the presence of mind to adjust her "why me" to a "why anyone", in an effort to not seem "ungracious" ?

I just rewatched the video.  As far as I can tell, she never said "Why anyone?" She also never said "Why me?"  She said "Why?" a lot, described what happened, and she said "Help me." 

• Love 11

I only watched this show because I was forced to wait for tires at Pep boys.  I'm surprised by comments about Nancys feet. She had some of the best feet in skating during her era.    I saw her perform live after the 92 Olympics, and she not only got the most applause, she did a solo encore, and then an encore with Paul Wylie.  Kristi got polite applause,  and no call for an encore.  Tonya fell on her ass per usual.  Nancy can perform.

Nancy is a tough, snarky broad who has had a a lot of challenges in life.  I may not like her persona much, but she's a fucking winner at life.  Never was a princess, never had anything handed to her.  And fuck it, I would bitch about a stupid Mickey Mouse parade, too.   The scrutiny she went under would have crushed lesser mortals.  

Edited by Mu Shu
  • Love 13

I hate when people mock her for "Why MEE" - she was violently attacked, in an effort to derail her skating career.  and people make fun of how she cried? 

If someone clubbed me on the knee like that, I'd hate to be forever judged for the string of swear words that would come out of my mouth. 

• Love 14

I would love for a 47 year old who has a ton of lived experience go really far in this competition.  Nancy really hasn't aged, she's gotten better.  That Samba tonight was really well executed and for me the enjoyment is seeing the improvement week by week.  The hard work is paying off.  I suppose next week she is going to have to face the "memorable year"  I hope she does a Tango with a refashioned version of her Vera Wang gold skating costume and gets all the demons out.  :) 

• Love 4

That the female side is so stacked means that Nancy really flies under the radar and obviously that's not so hot for votes. OTOH, I wonder if it takes away pressure for her that she doesn't have the highest expecations resting on her shoulders? She gets on with Artem, she has no problem putting in the work, she's disciplined. Then she comes in for the show and seems to enjoy the experience, while not being swarmed with too much attention. The judges so far have been constructive and encouraging.

Also, it's very interesting when pros who have had a few weaker dancers in previous seasons get chances with a stronger partner. Obviously part of it is that the female roster this season only had Charo as a weak link, but it's still an opportunity. The temptation to produce big theatre because everyone does it must be huge, yet Artem stays away. Because Nancy wouldn't be comfortable with a lot of show and play acting and whatever. If you give her pure dance with challenging content, she's much happier with that and performs it well. It's a pleasure to see Artem being able to dance more full out this time around as well, you really noticed how crisp and sharp he was in the samba. When you're babysitting weaker dancers, there's not really room for any of that.

• Love 3
(edited)

Redfiat, I'm expecting her to do a tango as well (either ballroom or Argentine). Personally though I hope she dances something more impactful especially on a night like most memorable year where it's hard to stand out on your own. Paso or Rumba would be ideal. Artem's rumbas on Strictly are very good from what I saw on YouTube, and her extensions would be amazing for that dance. I really hope her or anyone else for that matter stays away from contemporary. I'm bored of contemporary now especially on most memorable year night.

Edited by Emily-D
  • Love 1

She's gonna be a sleeper contestant. I'm seeing a lot of people saying they loved her and love her personality and think she's enjoying herself and glad Artem has a good partner. I think she's someone, that as long as she continues on this trajectory, can easily sneak into the semi finals or even finals.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 4/4/2017 at 9:45 AM, Emily-D said:

Redfiat, I'm expecting her to do a tango as well (either ballroom or Argentine). Personally though I hope she dances something more impactful especially on a night like most memorable year where it's hard to stand out on your own. Paso or Rumba would be ideal. Artem's rumbas on Strictly are very good from what I saw on YouTube, and her extensions would be amazing for that dance. I really hope her or anyone else for that matter stays away from contemporary. I'm bored of contemporary now especially on most memorable year night.

Since Tangos are my favorite I am kinda in love with how Artem crafts them  (again I looked at Kara Tointon and both her Tangos were stunning)  and yes Artem is the Paso King but I never felt the woman was the centre of the man's dance.  But certainly Nancy has great hip action and control so a Rumba could be amazing.  I have now got invested in this team because there is potential for a dance that could be one for the history books.  I remember Kristie Yamaguchi when she Tangoed with Mark it was incredible,  and Meryl and Maks ushered in the strobe light tango that everyone seemed to lock on to after.  People will be wondering how Nancy will present that dark history, so I hope for her its something she can just put away after the performance. 

Edited by RedFiat

Foxtrot is good and bad. Good in that it's a classy dance, it'll suit her well and should get good scores. Bad in that like you say. It's not likely to be as impactful as other dances on the floor unless Artem pulls something out of the bag. I just really hope she last long enough to do some exciting dance styles like rumba, paso and jive.

(edited)
On 4/4/2017 at 6:40 PM, Emily-D said:

Foxtrot is good and bad. Good in that it's a classy dance, it'll suit her well and should get good scores. Bad in that like you say. It's not likely to be as impactful as other dances on the floor unless Artem pulls something out of the bag. I just really hope she last long enough to do some exciting dance styles like rumba, paso and jive.

It's interesting, sometimes I think the most impactful thing on this night will be the story the showrunners choose to present for each contestant. Last season James actually flat lining and living then dancing not just ok but really well a scant 18 months later is a miracle. The Tango they chose to do was fine, but more impactful was the story.  I think if at that point they did their contemporary piece instead which much better reflected what he went through, eg..memory, struggle etc...not only because of that, but because it was a damn good contemporary for this show, he would have been on the same level as Laurie in the vote.  

Then I would have saved his amazing character piece like his suicide squad Viennese Waltz  possibly with some Jazz inserted for the finale, There  was simply no one in the competition who could touch him.  That should have been our lasting memory of his work. IMHO 

As for Nancy, I don't think she will leave anytime soon. People are really getting into this partnership, and Artem seems so present this year. I think he's happy he has a really strong contestant who can go the distance and actually learn ballroom and latin. Nancy is upping her performance level each time she goes out there so it's really entertaining. It doesn't seem like he has to hide anything with props or lack of content.  I do hope that even though it's a Foxtrot,  it can make a statement.  I felt that James' Tango really did not make the statement it could have.  He danced with real character, but I thought the choreography was bland.  Although Artem is staying with the tried and true traditional ballroom and latin, Nancy is selling it, and after the test of the most difficult to learn Samba,  I'm buying. 

Another random thought, Nancy could Foxtrot to her dad's favorite song.  Nancy's dad was an amazing guy worked 3 jobs so she could get ice time lessons and costumes.  He died tragically, but she was there for her brother who struggles with mental illness.  That could also be a powerful story. 

Edited by RedFiat
  • Love 1
On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 5:33 PM, calipiano81 said:

According to Nancy's blog, they are doing foxtrot next week.

Foxtrot won't be as impactful, I'm afraid, but OTOH, it'll be nice to see her back in a classy dance after two spicier ones.

Foxtrot is probably my fav dance so I'm excited to see it. Knowing Artem's style, it'll be a classic dance with a lot of content and a beautiful floor pattern.

those lines... it will be so good!

• Love 2

I have to look back at Nancy's friend Kristie Yamaguchi. The very first night of competition and she blows everyone away with an amazing Foxtrot with Mark. Check out how much in hold they are, how many good sequences they are doing, feather steps, pivot, telemark..  Mark really did the classy dances proud. Still one of my favorites. 

DWTS - They wouldn't, would they? Stick Harding in the front row for "drama"? 

No, I don't believe anyone would attack her, but Harding sitting there front row would maybe put her on edge and give DWTS lots of media stories for the week.

(yes I know Radar Online will say anything for clicks, but even a broken clock is correct twice a day....)

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Uke said:

DWTS - They wouldn't, would they? Stick Harding in the front row for "drama"? 

No, I don't believe anyone would attack her, but Harding sitting there front row would maybe put her on edge and give DWTS lots of media stories for the week.

(yes I know Radar Online will say anything for clicks, but even a broken clock is correct twice a day....)

I hope that's false, otherwise very unclassy of DWTS.

• Love 2

I don't think her dance will be about Tonya. She has a lot of other experiences she could talk about. Bringing Harding in would be really low, but then again, they passed off a crotch-grabbing incident as "chemistry" so I wouldn't put it past them.

In their interview with Extra, Artem says they are doing Jazz for Disney week and they are going to go comedy...

https://twitter.com/extratv/status/851933163278319617/video/1

I hope this turns out well for them, but Artem doesn't strike me as a "comedy" guy. And most of the Russians on this show don't have a lot of jazz experience.

Although, back when Artem did a jazz number with Lea Thompson, I remember being surprised at the recognizable jazz movement he put in the dance. Perhaps that was a result of having been on SYTYCD?

Edited by calipiano81
1 hour ago, Emily-D said:

Nancy's going to be eliminated before I get to see a Rumba from her isn't she. That would be just my luck. 

Before the season started, did any of us imagine we would be anticipating when Nancy would do rumba? lol

One dance I get a little nervous for her (and most female contestants, in general) is jive. It takes power in the legs to be quick, sharp, and precise with the jive.

I think Nancy has all the ingredients that typically allow someone to go far on DWTS: dances well, likeable/relateable, good relationship with partner, decent fanbase that aligns with demographic.

If she keeps up her level of dancing, I think she has a good chance against all the others (because IMO, everyone else lacks/is weak in at least one of the categories I mentioned above). However, the two things I think will trip her up are:

-Are people voting for her? (Please remember to vote or start voting if you haven't been!) I have seen quite a bit of support for her, but I don't sense a passion for her like for some of the other contestants.

-The show keeps putting her in the first half, which makes her scores lower than they ought to be and makes it more likely for her to be forgotten. 

Edited by calipiano81

I think Nancy is great, definitely my favourite but yeah the lack of enthusiasm for great ballroom dancing  from the judges came down with a thud when that Samba couldn't get more than an 8 from 3 of the judges. They want shitty production numbers and to hell with dancing. Boy I wish I was wrong 

Edited by RedFiat
  • Love 1
On 4/11/2017 at 6:35 PM, calipiano81 said:

In their interview with Extra, Artem says they are doing Jazz for Disney week and they are going to go comedy...

https://twitter.com/extratv/status/851933163278319617/video/1

I hope this turns out well for them, but Artem doesn't strike me as a "comedy" guy. And most of the Russians on this show don't have a lot of jazz experience.

I'm more concerned about whether Nancy can pull off the comedy aspect of the routine.  I remember her cringeworthy hosting stint on Saturday Night Live shortly after the Olympics ended.  Let's just say that as a comedic actress (who was even called upon to sing in one skit), Nancy's a wonderful skater.

• Love 1

To be fair to Nancy, Anything she did over  20 years ago after the entire Olympic fiasco needs to be judged by the times and how people became hostile to her for just wanting a Gold medal, commenting on how wearing her medal in a parade was corny because she was so uncomfortable about showing off as her parents taught her, and not being "grateful" her career didn't end in that practice arena.  She was set up for failure by the media and it's damn hard to be funny when that happens.  She's older,  wiser, much more at ease with herself and I think that can only bode well for her. I hope she can pull it off, I'm on pins and needles for her everytime she dances and I'm always pleasantly surprised.  But if people think she won't be funny they've made up their minds about her before she dances. It is unfortunate because of the added pressure to be funny is better when it's a surprise and unexpected. 

I don't see her doing well in the cheap "pie in the face" comedy (Artem too, for that matter), but thankfully, comedy is such a wide genre, that there's always a spot for classy, cheeky, and adult (read: smart, not Gleb lol) fun routine.

• Love 2

I thought Nancy had a good night. But I worry that her time will be shorter than I want for her. I'd love for her to get into the top tier, but fan bases are what they are.  I thought Artem was givin' er - and he's been the best overall I think in taking care of his partner this season.  I am super stoked he has been able to show the Strictly sensibility on this show because for me the attention to technique has not been missed.   

• Love 1

Yeah, now it gets dicey for her. Bonner and Nick should be leaving before her at least, but Bonner has that Southern thing and the showmance and Nick has the Bachelor fans. She should get past David as well, but I don't think she has a chance at all there tbh, no matter what she dances. There's a chance that she might overcome Bonner and Nick, but it will be close.

• Love 1

And I'm really kind of disappointed at the machinations of Maks.  He's playing a long game here which is more about him and not his partner  and that may bump Nancy out all together.  

12 minutes ago, katha said:

Yeah, now it gets dicey for her. Bonner and Nick should be leaving before her at least, but Bonner has that Southern thing and the showmance and Nick has the Bachelor fans. She should get past David as well, but I don't think she has a chance at all there tbh, no matter what she dances. There's a chance that she might overcome Bonner and Nick, but it will be close.

The only thing we have to go on is how skaters have done in the past on this show, and they've done really well.  2 firsts a 2nd and a 5th in a year when they competed against each other. 

Going to be a tight squeeze from here on in. Any rough week scores wise could see her out the door, it could easily happen next week. I just hope she finally gets to do that rumba. One way or another we're going to find out next week if she's getting the votes or not.

Edited by Emily-D
  • Love 1

Yeah, from here on out, it's going to be up in the air on who goes. I do think that Nancy will not be eliminated next week. It's going to be after Bonner/Nick's elimination next week that'll have the eliminations more unclear. I really want Nancy to get to the finals, but I'm not quite sure it'll happen.

• Love 1