Type keyword(s) to search

S24: Nancy Kerrigan - Skating Rings Around Her Rivals

• Start Topic

Nancy Ann Kerrigan (born October 13, 1969) is a former American figure skater.

Kerrigan was the 1992 Olympic Bronze medalist, the 1993 US National Champion, the 1994 Olympic Silver medalist, and a two-time world medalist. In 1994, Kerrigan was attacked with a police baton by an assailant hired by the ex-husband of her rival Tonya Harding.

ABC-Nancy-Kerrigan-Artem-Chigvintsev-DWTS-ml-170228_4x3_992.jpg

I've always had a soft spot for her, hope she makes it at least half way. IMO ABC missed the boat by having Tonya on as well. Although Nancy probably would have dropped out lol.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

Anyone want to guess what her favorite year and her sob story are going to be?

Anyone want to guess how many times DWTS replays that news clip of her crying after being clubbed with a metal baton?  

If she's ever watched DWTS, maybe she stipulated in her contract that they don't play it?  That would be nice since the news clip will just add to the mockery she already gets for being victimized.

• Love 9

I was never particularly a fan, but I never hated her. I hated what happened to her and I hate that clip. But sometime within the past year I saw an interview with her and she's a perfectly charming woman. I don't know where I saw that interview, on some kind of newsy program. I wish her well on this show. And as of right now, I'm inclined to root for her. That will change if she's terrible or if she's a beast, but she had a lot of years of training, I don't expect her to be terrible or a beast, she may or may not be the best, we'll see in a few weeks.

• Love 6

The thing with Kerrigan is this: IMO the media in 94 really did a number on her, they were way callous and judgemental about her immediate reaction after being assaulted and turned it into a joke, or worse, into something that somehow showed that Kerrigan is a bad person. Because her immediate reaction after she experienced violence and shock and trauma wasn't what some people wanted. So not only was she victimized by her attackers, she was then further victimized by the media who aired the aftermath of her attack and even blamed her for not being a "model victim" or whatever. It was vicious, vicious stuff and yeah, I might still have a visceral reaction to that trainwreck because it was just so wrong on so many levels and I'll always have sympathy for her. A very unfair and hurtful situation was created there.

So, that has nothing to do with dancing or DWTS, but at least starting out and before we know how she's gonna do in terms of performance, I'm inclined to root for her and hope that she has a good time and gets what she wants out of the experience.

• Love 14

In the immediate aftermath of that clubbing, I did have sympathy for her.  But then she went ahead with "oh come on, why does she have to put makeup on, she's just going to cry it all off" and "Mickey Mouse is so stupid" that she lost my goodwill.

I suppose though it has been many years, I would hope that she has matured and warmed up a little.

• Love 4

I did feel horrible for her when she was clubbed, but any sympathy I had for her ended when her affair with her coach came to light.  She was also very rude and made some nasty comments during the her skating career.  She strikes me as someone who has a bad attitude.   Maybe life has mellowed her, but it won't be surprising if she's still the same person she was years ago.

• Love 5
(edited)

As a child, I watched the original Mickey Mouse Club on it's first go-round, and it's second and maybe it's third. I was 5 years old when my family went to Disneyland a month or so after it opened in 1955. I went a couple more times in my teens and once as an adult. I enjoyed it. I have never been to Disneyworld, have zero desire to go because I am in the small minority of people that also think "Mickey Mouse is so stupid." She's entitled to her opinion, but she probably shouldn't have said it out loud since Disney has it's fingers in so many pies, it wasn't diplomatic and it's not nice to bite the hand that feeds you. I have nothing to gain or lose by my opinion. If I ever do get to Florida, I probably won't be going for Disneyworld, might want to go to the Universal Studios Park that's there. Unfortunately, as I have gotten old, amusement parks have little interest. I loved them for many years, but rides kind of make me sick now. I really do mean, physically sick, just can't handle them any more.

Edited by friendperidot
On March 2, 2017 at 10:05 AM, Shades of Red said:

I did feel horrible for her when she was clubbed, but any sympathy I had for her ended when her affair with her coach came to light.  She was also very rude and made some nasty comments during the her skating career.  She strikes me as someone who has a bad attitude.   Maybe life has mellowed her, but it won't be surprising if she's still the same person she was years ago.

She always struck me as an elitist entitled princess who just expected everything to go her way and be handed to her. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

She always struck me as an elitist entitled princess

How dare a child growing up in a blue collar family be graceful and elegant.  It always cracks me up with people talk disparagingly about Nancy Kerrigan as a princess.  She worked hard, her parent's sacrificed to support her skating.   I admire Nancy's work ethic and her artistry.   I hope she does well.

• Love 15

Please, my mom has worked in the same factory for 36 years, since I was 4, making wire brushes. I was a free lunch, no school fees kid. I don't need lectured on the growing up in a blue collar family. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Nancy was always an excellent technician but a stiff mover who benefited from Vera Wang outfits to give off the illusion of elegance, so I don't quite see her having a leg up the way past skaters have had on this show, but we'll see.

There was a documentary and interview with her during the Sochi Olympics that I'd recommend checking out. She came across as painfully shy and prone to foot-in-mouth syndrome, but not entitled or conceited at all. During Lillehammer, she said her biggest fear was that all the other athletes hated her/didn't want her there for creating a media circus.

And she said the Disney parade comment was about having to wear her medal not about Mickey Mouse (the actual quote was "this is so corny. This is so dumb. I hate it."), which is a complaint I've heard of other Olympians who don't like parading their medals around to every post-Olympic event. 

Edited by KFC
  • Love 13

I think I saw that same special during the Olympics. I think Nancy wasn't quite the girl the media wanted her to be, the perfect ice princess. She came across as sarcastic but not mean or snobbish. Maybe her personality will play better today when snarkiness seems to be tolerated more, and at times even appreciated.

I wonder if her timing for doing the show has anything to do with the Tonya Harding movie being filmed ringer now. This gives her a chance to define herself before the movie comes along and does it for her.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Dots And Stripes said:

Tonya Harding movie being filmed

OMG, really?  Hasn't the world suffered enough?   There have been enough specials on her already that I don't see what new ground will be covered.

• Love 2

I think Nancy is going to suffer from not being perky and bubbly enough for this show. Nastia Liukin, anyone? 

Simone would rate a 10 on the bubbly meter, so guess who is going to win. That's okay, I like Simone and Sasha anyway.

• Love 3

I think people may have forgotten that back around 2010 her brother got into an argument with their dad and assaulted him, causing him to fall.  He died shortly thereafter and the brother was charged with manslaughter and later acquitted as it was deemed that the father died from heart disease, not the assault.

5 minutes ago, Koalagirl said:

I think people may have forgotten that back around 2010 her brother got into an argument with their dad and assaulted him, causing him to fall.  He died shortly thereafter and the brother was charged with manslaughter and later acquitted as it was deemed that the father died from heart disease, not the assault.

I'm not sure why people need to be reminded of this.  Was Nancy somehow to blame?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Koalagirl said:

Not at all.  I was thinking that the loss of her father is something she might use during one of those tear jerker theme nights.

Ohhh I see. I guess it depends on how tptb want to handle the saddest/most memorable/whatever year (I hate that theme week!).  I think they try to give it a cheery name like "memorable" but it always seems to come down to whatever will produce tears (except Olympics or truly national events like Alek had).

10 hours ago, Frost said:

OMG, really?  Hasn't the world suffered enough?   There have been enough specials on her already that I don't see what new ground will be covered.

It's starring and produced by Margot Robbie. Here she is in Tonya sweater and jeans. An actress named Caitlin Carver has been cast as Nancy, per Deadline.

One of the interviews she and Artem did after the cast was first announced had a question about the movie, and she said that she only knew what the public knew and didn't need to see it since she lived it. She was also asked why she decided to do the show now and said that this was the first time she's been asked and that her family enjoyed watching the show together and supporting other skaters. It's quite possible the producers timed her invitation with the movie, but I doubt she had much control over it herself.

I was pretty young when the scandal happened, so don't have any opinions of her from back then. I do follow figure skating though and have always thought she seemed quite nice and dedicated to her family. She's never been a very artistic skater though and honestly a bit wooden as far as figure skaters go, so I don't necessarily see her as having a leg up on the other competitors besides being an athlete that knows how to train.

(edited)
On 3/2/2017 at 10:05 AM, Shades of Red said:

It was actually her agent, Jerry Solomon (who would become her husband--they are still married today). Her coaches were Evy and Mary Scotvold; they also coached Men's Singles skater Paul Wylie, who won the silver medal at the 1992 Olympics, and he's one of Nancy's closest friends; they even briefly lived together during their training days on Cape Cod for awhile, close to their skating rink there. 

On 3/2/2017 at 9:43 AM, blackwing said:

In the immediate aftermath of that clubbing, I did have sympathy for her.  But then she went ahead with "oh come on, why does she have to put makeup on, she's just going to cry it all off" and "Mickey Mouse is so stupid" that she lost my goodwill.

I suppose though it has been many years, I would hope that she has matured and warmed up a little.

She actually said "This is so corny. I hate it. This is the most corniest [which isn't grammatically correct, but whatever]thing I've ever done." She claimed it wasn't aimed at Mickey Mouse, but rather the idea that she had to wear her Olympic Silver Medal during the Disney World parade she was in immediately following the 1994 Olympics (Disney was one of her many sponsors back then), because she didn't want to look like she was bragging. She has always claimed that she never said anything about Mickey and when someone once told her they agreed with her on him, she was stunned. 

(Full disclosure: I'm a fan of both her and Tonya as skaters. I've always preferred Tonya's skating more, but I'll give Nancy credit where credit is due, too.)

Edited by UYI
(edited)
On 3/5/2017 at 5:45 PM, legaleagle53 said:

Tonya Harding, is that you?

Trust me, there a LOT of people who don't like Nancy (whether they like Tonya or not). It's just that a lot of them weren't able to become more visible until the Internet hit in full force--the scandal took place in 1994, a year before the Internet really took off, which makes you realize what a difference a year made in that case.

Also, fun fact: Remember how Kristi Yamaguchi won DWTS several years back? She and Nancy were roommates at the 1992 Olympics in Albertville, France (where Kristi won the gold and Nancy the bronze). 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 3
On 3/7/2017 at 2:18 AM, Victura said:

She's never been a very artistic skater though and honestly a bit wooden as far as figure skaters go, so I don't necessarily see her as having a leg up on the other competitors besides being an athlete that knows how to train.

This made me chuckle because her spiral was one of her signature moves.

From Wiki:

A Kerrigan spiral is a high-leg outside spiral performed with one hand supporting the knee of the free leg. This position is named after Nancy Kerrigan.

(edited)
7 hours ago, Morrigan said:

I don't know how reliable Radar Online is but they're claiming Nancy's giving the DWTS folks a hard time, "...trying to choreograph her own routines and is just being incredibly bossy...

http://radaronline.com/videos/nancy-kerrigan-dwts-diva-claims-peggy-fleming-olympic-ice-skater/

I HAVE heard a few stories from people who have met her over the years that she can be rude and/or openly snotty to even her own fans (even kids!), but I've never met her, so grain of salt and all that.

...I love figure skating, in case you couldn't tell. ;) 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 1
On 3/8/2017 at 6:42 PM, UYI said:

It was actually her agent, Jerry Solomon (who would become her husband--they are still married today). Her coaches were Evy and Mary Scotvold; they also coached Men's Singles skater Paul Wylie, who won the silver medal at the 1992 Olympics, and he's one of Nancy's closest friends; they even briefly lived together during their training days on Cape Cod for awhile, close to their skating rink there. 

Thanks for the clarification.  Not sure why I thought he was her coach.   I fault both of them for the affair and wouldn't comment (only silently judge), if she wasn't appearing on a reality show.

• Love 2

Jerry Solomon was her agent though, and he was married when they started dating. That is why a lot of people don't like her. I think people who come on a reality show are fair game, and it's a popularity contest after all. 

• Love 1

I now have a lot more sympathy. I just got whacked in the ankle by a club wielding puppy! I stepped on the deck, I saw that shovel handle, I knew instantly I was going to get hit. And it happened before I could do a thing about it. The pup is about 6-8 months old, pit bull mix, very strong! The broken shovel handle I've picked up out of the yard and moved it up against the house several times, it's heavy. I had been trying to decide whether to bring it in the house for use as a possible weapon if needed (not really going to do that), just thinking, but also just hadn't taken it to the trash yet. 

But on a serious note, it does give me sympathy for her, it hurt like crazy, if there were ice or frozen peas in the house, I'd put them on the ankle. I have an inkling how much it hurt to have someone deliberately bash in your knee with a club. But no, I didn't sit down and cry "whyyyyy", it hurt but it wasn't the same. I got the club away from the dog and put it where he can't get it again. 

I hope this team is good. I am just not into the rest this season.  If anyone can pull off a stunning Viennese Waltz it's Artem and a good partner. The Viennese Waltz he did with Kara Tointon on Strictly is my absolute all time favorite.

I'm not sure if Nancy has it, afterall this VW was week 11, but we will see first night if she has the goods. Tempo often gets cheated and slows down on this show, so the Billy Joel "She's always a woman" song is a very good "strict" Viennese Waltz.     

• Love 1

Was/ is Nancy Kerrigan's mother legally blind? I recall watching the Olympics coverage years ago where a woman with short blond hair was looking at a monitor set very close to her face, so that she could see the skating that was taking place out on the rink.

Artem's my favorite pro, I just love his elegant long lines in dancing, and even though when he was first in the DWTS troupe I thought he might be a bit intimidating based on his appearance, his partnership with "Patti Patti" LaBelle completely won me over.

2 hours ago, RedFiat said:

I hope this team is good. I am just not into the rest this season.  If anyone can pull off a stunning Viennese Waltz it's Artem and a good partner. The Viennese Waltz he did with Kara Tointon on Strictly is my absolute all time favorite.

I hadn't seen this before.  Thanks for sharing it, RedFiat...absolutely lovely!

• Love 1

I saw the dance styles everyone has and I knew that the song Nancy and Artem are dancing to rung a bell. He's done a Viennese Waltz before to the exactly same song he's set to do with Nancy in the UK with a different partner. I wonder if he'll use the same choreography although the person he was dancing it with was a 60+ year old duffer. He managed to make her look half decent to be fair. Best of luck to them.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, binky101 said:

Was/ is Nancy Kerrigan's mother legally blind? I recall watching the Olympics coverage years ago where a woman with short blond hair was looking at a monitor set very close to her face, so that she could see the skating that was taking place out on the rink.

Artem's my favorite pro, I just love his elegant long lines in dancing, and even though when he was first in the DWTS troupe I thought he might be a bit intimidating based on his appearance, his partnership with "Patti Patti" LaBelle completely won me over.

Yes her Mom was the one watching the monitor closely.  Regardless of how people feel about Nancy as a person, her family has been through a lot of heartache so I cut her a little slack.  

I really hope we get to see the Artem on Strictly here on DWTS.  That season with Kara Tointon was incredible.  Not only did they crush the VWaltz, in the latin section my all time favorite Rumba is their dance to Santana- no teenager can bring this kind of maturity.   Simply amazing technique- total package.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, binky101 said:

Yes, Brenda Kerrigan has been legally blind since Nancy was just a year old. I'll never forget something she said during a profile on Nancy during the 1992 Winter Olympics: "I've always been told she's beautiful." :'( 

• Love 2

The critique that Nancy was a bit "hoppy" is true, but Artem gave her tough choreography,  you have to drill that a million times and then some more to get to the smoothness of a professional.  That takes months, not weeks of training. That's why Viennese Waltz is so difficult, and that's why most VW on DWTS is a cheat of the real thing.  But Artem didn't cut any corners.  That's what I appreciated.  Ballroom dancing is not as easy as it looks.

• Love 1

People undervalue ballroom compared to Latin. Because it doesn't look as flashy. For example I saw people labelling Simone's tango as boring. It wasn't boring if you appreciate ballroom because those steps are harder to master than most Latin dances.

• Love 1

Finally Artem has someone who can, maybe not match his lines, but at least come close to them. I also appreciate that he starts dancing right away without silly stuff in the beginning and at the end.

I hope she stays a while. She's not gonna win, but I want more beautiful standard dances.

• Love 1
On 3/7/2017 at 1:31 AM, Emily-D said:

The timing is too convenient. She's definitely doing the show now to get her side of the story out there before trailer park Tonya does with that new film.

What is her side of the story?  She was hit in the knee.  Is that disputable?  She got hosed out of an Olympic gold because the judges went for the poor orphan who put out the weakest gold medal winning skate since figures were discontinued.  It wasn't close at all.  If I were Nancy, I wouldn't have behaved with as much restraint.

BTW, after the Olympics Oksana Baiul became a giant train wreck and all around asshole.  Nancy just didn't come close.

i don't really like her persona, but she got crapped on in 1994.  It's amazing that she performed as well as she did.  Which was definitely strong enough for the win. 

• Love 18

Nancy impressed me tonight. Her Cha Cha had a couple small stumbles, but most expected her to be reserved for her Latin like most women in that age range tend to be, but she had good legs, good footwork, and nice spins.

I loved too how invested she is and wants to do well. I can relate to that reaction of her getting compliments. When you go a long of your life of people being very hard on you or not giving you nice feedback, you tend to not believe it when it happens, so I get it.

I think as the weeks go on she'll improve and get more comfortable on the dance floor, and she could sneak her way into 6th or 5th place.

• Love 2

I'm glad she's doing the show. The way she's shy, snarky, dedicated, but a bit unsure of herself in this new context is how I'd imagined she'd be from what I've seen of her in skating. That doesn't always translate well for a general audience who wants "perky". But she's coming across as endearing IMO. And she and Artem are a good fit, he's giving her things that suit her and challenge her...but don't overwhelm her and go beyond what she can do right now both with technique and performance. There's the risk that they will be too quiet together and fly under the radar, but at the end of the day for me it's more important that the contestant has a good time on the show and feels comfortable with their partner. And in that sense Artem was absolutely the best choice for her IMO.

And yeah, now that it's clear she's got potential in latin, I'm much more optimistic about her whole run. Often inhibitions and awkwardness in those styles wreck candidates who do well in ballroom, but she was neat. Artem also gave her something that she could do well, not too sexy, not too aggressive, but also not cautious "older lady" choreo. Pretty dress, too, and she's in great shape!

Edited by katha
  • Love 3