Type keyword(s) to search

S24: Heather Morris - Dancing Her Way To The Mirrorball?

• Start Topic

27 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

And now, I'm going to be forever bitter at Maks and Disney Night.

That just...sucks. It really, really sucks. Maybe a higher score from the judges could have saved her. 

I don't think so.  If judges' scores mattered, it would have been one of the guys being sent home considering they were the bottom half.  I think audience vote still counts a lot more. 

The writing for a shocking boot was on the wall but last week was set up for her to either make a triumphant impression considering she's experienced in jazz or it'd be her downfall.  As soon as I saw the choreo for last week, I suspected it'd be the latter.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, gimmeegimmeegim said:

H and M fallin out of tree

No more pros do we want to see

Stupid silly abc

Speak for yourself. No way would any mass audience tune into a show full of Bachelor and Bonner level dancers. Bring on the great dancers too I say!

• Love 17
1 minute ago, Venee said:

Speak for yourself. No way would any mass audience tune into a show full of Bachelor and Bonner level dancers. Bring on the great dancers too I say!

Please take your own advice and speak for yourself. I would rather see a show full of Bonners than have a professional dancer competing as a contestant.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

Please take your own advice and speak for yourself. I would rather see a show full of Bonners than have a professional dancer competing as a contestant.

I just did.... The Producers allow experienced dancers on the show for the exact reason I  said. The Poster I responded to said "We" don't want to see pros and my sentiment is they can take out the "we" and replace it with an "I"

• Love 5

I'm disappointed. I knew Heather wouldn't have a chance at winning but I can't believe this is the week she gets cut. In all honestly I'm just kind of over the show. Simone's probably going to win and that's just kind of what we had last season. Eh. I really enjoyed Heather. 

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I don't think so.  If judges' scores mattered, it would have been one of the guys being sent home considering they were the bottom half.  I think audience vote still counts a lot more. 

The writing for a shocking boot was on the wall but last week was set up for her to either make a triumphant impression considering she's experienced in jazz or it'd be her downfall.  As soon as I saw the choreo for last week, I suspected it'd be the latter.

It's based on last week's scores and votes. Scores and votes are each 50%. Anyone tied with Heather just needed to get 1 more vote than her. Anyone lower than her needed to make up the % difference in their scores, which isn't a lot when the judges lose the 1-6 paddles. 

I think it was a little bit of the classic people thought she was safe and she went early in the show so people forgot. I also think the partner changes kind of made it hard to give people something to latch onto. 

It's disappointing because I loved what little we got to see of her dancing with Maks. I think the focus on choreo on this show takes for granted that the pros aren't equal as performers. As a performer, Maks is magnetic. I think he and Heather had some amazing dances ahead of them and I am sad we won't get to see more.

• Love 4

Pictures aside,  the package of the dance was telling.  I said to myself that Heather looked  perturbed  and stone faced with Maks and his "Call me Mary" quip.

I really think last week did her in.  I didn't vote for her and I had the previous weeks.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

What's the big deal if Heather's body language is closed off and she's standing a bit further from the group? I'm genuinely curious as to how this reflects badly on Heather.  

And now you know that it doesn't reflect badly on Heather, but  this rehearsal was right after last week's show. She was not feeling great, and maybe when she realized that something is in the wind it's just a little difficult to get excited. 

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, Dots And Stripes said:

It's disappointing because I loved what little we got to see of her dancing with Maks. I think the focus on choreo on this show takes for granted that the pros aren't equal as performers. As a performer, Maks is magnetic. I think he and Heather had some amazing dances ahead of them and I am sad we won't get to see more.

I disagree. I think Maks is magnetic when he has a partner he clicks with and enjoys being around. He knows how to play the game so he's never going to say he's not happy with a partner or doesn't like them but he's very transparent it's easy to read his body language. That's why I think he was at his best with Mel B and Erin and, to a lot of people, Meryl (if you could get past the phony showmance, which I couldn't). For all his talk about how much he enjoyed his partnership with Amber, I have yet to talk to one person who didn't think Maks checked out very early last season and I saw way too much of that evidenced by watching the camera in the sky box.

I think it's the same with the other pros. I adored the season they had two pros dance with each team and Maks danced with Anna. Hell, I was ready to start shipping him with Anna LOL. I always thought he danced great with Cheryl too but as much as I hated their relationship, no one can touch him dancing with Karina.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

I disagree. I think Maks is magnetic when he has a partner he clicks with and enjoys being around. He knows how to play the game so he's never going to say he's not happy with a partner or doesn't like them but he's very transparent it's easy to read his body language. That's why I think he was at his best with Mel B and Erin and, to a lot of people, Meryl (if you could get past the phony showmance, which I couldn't). For all his talk about how much he enjoyed his partnership with Amber, I have yet to talk to one person who didn't think Maks checked out very early last season and I saw way too much of that evidenced by watching the camera in the sky box.

I think it's the same with the other pros. I adored the season they had two pros dance with each team and Maks danced with Anna. Hell, I was ready to start shipping him with Anna LOL. I always thought he danced great with Cheryl too but as much as I hated their relationship, no one can touch him dancing with Karina.

I thought Maks and Heather looked hot tonight! I was feeling the Alan love, but when I saw tonights dance, I could see how the Maks and Heather Pairing has this allure I didn't get with Allen. I was ready to get back on board with Maks.  

8 minutes ago, Venee said:

I thought Maks and Heather looked hot tonight! I was feeling the Alan love, but when I saw tonights dance, I could see how the Maks and Heather Pairing has this allure I didn't get with Allen. I was ready to get back on board with Maks.  

Yeah the partnership only got one proper week, the first week, which sucks. This week they were already eliminated based on last week's results. Dance wise, I think Alan is not at the same level as several other male pros. Partnership wise, unfortunately we didn't get to see how Maks and Heather would develop. As for Maks persona, there are some who have grudges because of thinks like who he didn't date seven years ago. He's a polarizing figure. For me, that's part of the appeal. He's a character.

The other thing that I realized week 1 is that the show was treating Heather differently than other ringers. In the past, ringers still got top scores. They also got to minimize their experience. Week 1, she should have been top of the leaderboard, IMO. Introducing her as someone from Glee and Beyonce's backup dancer, as if every backup dancer is a celebrity, set her up differently from the start. I figured it would catch up to her eventually but I thought there would be more time.

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, Venee said:

It's not a matter of looking hot. There was no chemistry between Maks and Heather. None. Maks is charismatic and I've seen him have chemistry with a LOT of people over the years. Heather was not one of them. It was very easy to see they didn't click right from the start.

Of course his lifelong diehards will tell you he's had chemistry with every partner he's ever had. Then again those same people think every dance he does deserves perfect 10s LOL.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, Dots And Stripes said:

Introducing her as someone from Glee and Beyonce's backup dancer, as if every backup dancer is a celebrity, set her up differently from the start. I figured it would catch up to her eventually but I thought there would be more time.

What else would they introduce her as though. Those especially Glee are what she's famous for. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

It's not a matter of looking hot. There was no chemistry between Maks and Heather. None. Maks is charismatic and I've seen him have chemistry with a LOT of people over the years. Heather was not one of them. It was very easy to see they didn't click right from the start.

Of course his lifelong diehards will tell you he's had chemistry with every partner he's ever had. Then again those same people think every dance he does deserves perfect 10s LOL.

I literally never see the Chmerkosky brothers fans. No shade. I love Val. But I see Derek fans everywhere and they root for literally any other pro that is not part of the fam. Most of the pros are mediocre. Maybe because Puredwts is a huge forum. 

3 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

I guess YMMV. We only saw them dance once prior to this. Everything you said is subjective.

2 minutes ago, shoregirl said:

What else would they introduce her as though. Those especially Glee are what she's famous for. 

Glee, yes. Can most people name other Beyoncé back-up dancers? (I know the obvious joke would be to say Kelly and Michelle) Back-up dancers are not celebrities. If she continued to work as a back-up dancer she wouldn't have become famous. Glee makes perfect sense to mention but the Beyoncé thing was unnecessary as part of her intro. 

• Love 1

Well, she just did not have enough fans to put her through.  And those who did not know her just were not inspired to vote for her.  Many were put off by her extensive dance background.  Had that not been announced by production, it would have come out.  That would have looked terrible for the show and network!  

• Love 5

Ymmv but I think because it was already out and people were talking about they just put it out in the open.  I think the bigger problem was her fan base Glee has been off the air for more than 2 years and she was barely on the last season. She hasn't done anything in the public eye  since then , understandable because she decided to start a family , so  she probably didn't have much of a fan base.

• Love 4

It hurt her to get Frozen last week. I have a 6 year old neice and have seen Frozen so many times I am sick of it, and just zone out whenever one of the songs from it come on. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, dizzyizzy01 said:

I think last week's dance was to blame.  Despite all her hype as a great dancer, last week's dance was honestly just boring.  She didn't have the cushion to have a boring dance.

None of that has to do with her. She couldn't have done anything more with that than what she did. She would have killed a real jazz number, but for some reason that I can't fathom, they didn't give her one. 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Toonces464 said:

Taking my comments to the Maks thread.

4 hours ago, Venee said:

None of that has to do with her. She couldn't have done anything more with that than what she did. She would have killed a real jazz number, but for some reason that I can't fathom, they didn't give her one. 

Oh I agree, she did what she could with it.  I blame Mak's choreography.  It's a shame.  Anyway, it was a wasted opportunity in my opinion.  I just think unlike some of the other cast, she didn't have the luxury of having some margin for error.  I totally think Maks failed his partner in that respect.  They had to be great, and last week really wasn't.  It was boring.  Anyway, the rest of the dancers despite having some skill (Simone, Normani, and Nancy) aren't enough for me to sit through Bonner walking around on the dance floor and the judges' nonsense.

• Love 2

Boo!!  I knew that Heather wasn't going to be in the finals but I thought she would at least get passed Bonner and Nick.  I would have loved it if she got passed David too but knew that wasn't going to happen.

I'm glad she went out on a high note.  Their rumba was really good.  Maks has an intensity that Alan lacks.  As I previously posted, Alan just seems like an eager puppy dog.  I would have loved to see more dances with Heather and Maks. 

• Love 3

I am certain my opinion will be unpopular here since folks seem to love Maks, but I actually think his return MIGHT have made people stop voting for Heather. He was really prickish last week to Alan (maybe he was joking, I don't know, but it just seemed mean-spirited to be like "Alan is officially fired" and shove him away) and he seemed to blame Alan last night for Heather's boot. Ever since he retired several seasons ago and came back (again and again), he is just getting more and more cocky, and his choreography hasn't been much to write home about. I know he might be a popular pro, especially here, but I found him very off-putting and I doubt I'm the only one.

Edited by ClareWalks
  • Love 15

I was hoping for Disney week Heather would have gotten tangled or something. I am so sick of frozen and sadly it wants the right for her. I think last week really hurt her. But also I think the judges for sure underscored her as well.

14 hours ago, realdancemom said:

Boo!!  I knew that Heather wasn't going to be in the finals but I thought she would at least get passed Bonner and Nick.  I would have loved it if she got passed David too but knew that wasn't going to happen.

I'm glad she went out on a high note.  Their rumba was really good.  Maks has an intensity that Alan lacks.  As I previously posted, Alan just seems like an eager puppy dog.  I would have loved to see more dances with Heather and Maks. 

I know Alan is popular around here, but I agree with that. Heather and Alan seemed nice together, but very....beige on the dancefloor. It was all generic pleasantness. Heather is a bit subdued/cool as a dance persona anyway, and Alan didn't offer anything beyond that IMO. Whereas with Maks in the rumba (and also already in the waltz) there was a counter point, he brought a certain sharpness and intensity, Heather reacted to that with her own performance, and it made their interaction and the dance as a whole more interesting. It's really, really unfortunate that they don't have a few more weeks of dancing together. She wouldn't have won anyway, but an AT with those two would have been so awesome!

• Love 4
5 hours ago, katha said:

I know Alan is popular around here, but I agree with that. Heather and Alan seemed nice together, but very....beige on the dancefloor. It was all generic pleasantness. Heather is a bit subdued/cool as a dance persona anyway, and Alan didn't offer anything beyond that IMO. Whereas with Maks in the rumba (and also already in the waltz) there was a counter point, he brought a certain sharpness and intensity, Heather reacted to that with her own performance, and it made their interaction and the dance as a whole more interesting. It's really, really unfortunate that they don't have a few more weeks of dancing together. She wouldn't have won anyway, but an AT with those two would have been so awesome!

This is the sentiment (from what I can gather) from fans of theshow who are not hung up on whether the "Star" is experienced or not. The minute I heard she was cast, my only thought was yaass there's going to be some great routines coming out of this! Not once did I think she would win. No one who watches this show was under that delusion. You can't predict an injury, so we got a curve ball, but if there was ever a time to invoke an immunity week it was this one. I think if she had been let loose to dance an authentic Jazz routine Disney week, she would have pulled in votes, from the general pool that votes based on the dance. Her Glee fan base is 2 years removed, and the partnership fan base couldn't have been developed considering the injury. I am very curious as to what went on behind the scenes....

• Love 1
11 hours ago, katha said:

Oh what could have been!!  Their AT would have been smoldering.  I agree with everything you said.  I know that we previously agreed on Heather's performance level before.

Also, Heather has been great through this whole switcheroo thing.   When she was eliminated, she thanked both Alan and Maks.  She stated that Maks' recovery was the most important thing when he was initally injured.  A lot of celebrities would have freaked out and you would see them being interviewed and saying that they can't do this without their pro, blah, blah, blah.  Some people will probably not give her credit for that because they'll just say that she's a pro dancer and is used to situations like that.  This is true but it's still great that she acted this way.

Edited by realdancemom
  • Love 8
49 minutes ago, realdancemom said:

Oh what could have been!!  Their AT would have been smoldering.  I agree with everything you said.  I know that we previously agreed on Heather's performance level before.

Also, Heather has been great through this whole switcheroo thing.   When she was eliminated, she thanked both Alan and Maks.  She stated that Maks' recovery was the most important thing when he was initally injured.  A lot of celebrities would have freaked out and you would see them being interviewed and saying that they can't do this without their pro, blah, blah, blah.  Some people will probably not give her credit for that because they'll just say that she's a pro dancer and is used to situations like that.  This is true but it's still great that she acted this way.

I have never seen a celebrity freak out or say they can't do this without their pro. She acted no different than any other celebrity who's had to switch partners due to injury and there have been quite a number of them over the years.

Yeah, Jana was kind of a baby. 

I was no fan of Heather's really but she was quite gracious to both Alan and Maks in her post elimination interview with Tom which is way more than I can say about Maks. 

• Love 5
On 4/25/2017 at 2:29 PM, ClareWalks said:

Ever since he retired several seasons ago and came back (again and again), he is just getting more and more cocky, and his choreography hasn't been much to write home about. I know he might be a popular pro, especially here, but I found him very off-putting and I doubt I'm the only one.

Maks really wanted to win and finally did with Meryl.  Then he "retired."  I think he really wanted to be done. People keep talking about what Maks looks like when he has chemistry with his partner and is invested in her but I think his desire to create chemistry with a partner went out the window once he won.  You hear about that in sports sometimes.  Some people never lose that competitive spirit and some switch from being motivated to win to being motivated to just get paid.  Because if he really had those burning fires, he would have done whatever it took to keep Heather in the competition given all the things he could do with her.  I never got the sense he cared this season and I didn't get the sense that he cared last season.

19 hours ago, katha said:

I know Alan is popular around here, but I agree with that. Heather and Alan seemed nice together, but very....beige on the dancefloor.

Maks has more charisma on the dance floor but, other than the samba, I think Alan was the better choreographer.  I would have loved to see what Heather could have done with more weeks of dancing with Maks (or a better partner) but with decent choreography.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

I think his desire to create chemistry with a partner went out the window once he won. 

In the past he didn't need to create chemistry...he just had it.  This season (and last) the chemistry was non-existent and I don't think you can even blame that on his relationship with Peta because I think the two of them also have zero chemistry.

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

In the past he didn't need to create chemistry...he just had it.  This season (and last) the chemistry was non-existent and I don't think you can even blame that on his relationship with Peta because I think the two of them also have zero chemistry.

I get what you're saying but I do think chemistry is created in a sense.  And I'm not talking sexual chemistry but just a good rapport.  Sometimes that feels showmancy but other times it's just fun. It's created by being invested in a partner and doing the little things which eventually help create a rapport.  The past two seasons, I don't feel investment coming from him. He has had issues with partners in the past with whom he had personality conflicts but I don't get the sense that was the case with Heather.  (Or even last season.)

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 4

My opinion is that the sabotaging on Heather on Disney week was not Maks; it was TPTB assigning that song to be choreographed as a Jazz routine. I'm pretty familiar with the Jazz/Broadway genre and I would be incredibly surprised were there to be anything more than basic choreography for that song and more than one person on stage (and that's assuming it even makes it into the Stage version). It's a solo song describing the character's feelings with no possibility for interaction between actors. Maks' choreography was certainly a more than adequate representation of what could actually end up happening on stage; the one big difference is that the character would actually be singing the song so it wouldn't come off as so basic.

IMO, the only thing that could possibly have been workable given the song choice would have been to assign the appropriate ballroom genre (Foxtrot, maybe?) and have the dancers ignore the lyrics and just use the music as background music.  There's a perfectly good song (the next track?) that has plenty of interaction between the Princess and one of the main guy roles.

I never expected her to win, but I'll miss some of the spectacular stuff I could have been watching instead of what I'll be FFing from most of the remaining guys.

• Love 2

I think unfortunate timing played into all of this: Heather would have been a shock elim no matter what, but circumstances made it perhaps even earlier. I agree the jazz was set up by the show to be a fail, but not necessarily to get her eliminated: Give Maks a difficult song in a style he doesn't have any experience in, then they can redeem themselves with a great dance a week later. It's classic storyboarding. But perhaps because Heather herself had even less fans than anticipated, she didn't connect with the general audience at all, Maks' fans had disengaged because of the injury, and Alan for all that he's liked by DWTS die hards (that's what we are here as well...) hasn't made an impression outside of that yet, was even more vulnerable. Though I must say I am surprised, on that evidence it seems like Heather barely brought in any fans of her own.

And the ones she had were probably complacent because her scores weren't that bad. She was four, five points ahead of the weaker guys. That means she really, really didn't get the votes. I'm surprised the situation was that dire tbh.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, katha said:

Though I must say I am surprised, on that evidence it seems like Heather barely brought in any fans of her own.

That was not surprising, imo. Heather's biggest claim to fame to this point has been Glee, a show that's now been off the air for two years. And by the time it went off the air, people were barely watching and the few who still were, were hate watching. When Amber Riley did DWTS, she wisely did it while Glee was still on the air. Yes the ratings had already significantly declined but still being on the air meant she was still working and interacting with her fellow cast-mates who were online pushing for her with their fans. Heather didn't have that.

With the show long over, like many other shows, most of the cast have moved on. I know Naya Rivera showed up one week to support her and Kevin McHale was in the audience this week but that was more like a show up and support, rather than asking their fans to vote for her. And as Heather herself said, when the show ended, it wasn't like she was like other stars from shows that end where they quickly go on to do other things. She pretty much just became a full time mom and wife, which made it very easy for people to pretty much forget about her. And all of this is not counting the massive backlash she came into the show with, with many declaring it unfair for a professional dancer to compete against people with no dance experience. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, katha said:

I think unfortunate timing played into all of this: Heather would have been a shock elim no matter what, but circumstances made it perhaps even earlier. I agree the jazz was set up by the show to be a fail, but not necessarily to get her eliminated: Give Maks a difficult song in a style he doesn't have any experience in, then they can redeem themselves with a great dance a week later. It's classic storyboarding. But perhaps because Heather herself had even less fans than anticipated, she didn't connect with the general audience at all, Maks' fans had disengaged because of the injury, and Alan for all that he's liked by DWTS die hards (that's what we are here as well...) hasn't made an impression outside of that yet, was even more vulnerable. Though I must say I am surprised, on that evidence it seems like Heather barely brought in any fans of her own.

And the ones she had were probably complacent because her scores weren't that bad. She was four, five points ahead of the weaker guys. That means she really, really didn't get the votes. I'm surprised the situation was that dire tbh.

It's based on percentages though, not raw points. When the judges give out a couple of points, the percentage they need to make up is not that big. For me it's surprising from Bonner but not so much from David or Nick.

There's a perfectly good song (the next track?) that has plenty of interaction between the Princess and one of the main guy roles.

I forget who, but someone else already did "Love is an Open Door." I know they repeat music, but given how literal the choreographies often are on Disney night, I think it would be a bad idea to repeat. I don't believe anyone has ever done the snowman song and that would have been a better jazz song for Heather, although it still would have been hard to turn into a duet. 

I feel like a gifted jazz choreographer could have at least put in some technical elements into "For the First Time in Forever." I think if Heather wowed with some very technical dancing, a lot would be forgiven. The actual coronation day costume is simpler than the incorrect winter clothing costume Heather was put in, and the coronation day costume could have adapted better to a jazz-movement supporting costume. But it was a horrible song to get, and poor Heather didn't have the luxury of a bad song pick.

2 hours ago, Zuleikha said:

I forget who, but someone else already did "Love is an Open Door." I know they repeat music, but given how literal the choreographies often are on Disney night, I think it would be a bad idea to repeat.

Derek and Nastia, and yeah, repeating that song would have been bad because one of the criticisms of Derek's choreography was that he literally recreated the scene from the movie. At least he got Anna's dress right? (Maybe that's why they put Heather in the winter clothes, but it's more likely because they had to fit Alan in somehow and they made him Kristoff.)

Unless it would have made Maks think Outside of the box because he couldn't just recreate the scene.