Type keyword(s) to search

S24: Heather Morris - Dancing Her Way To The Mirrorball?

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Beatrice said:

Yes please! They are bound to have musical guests, let her dance during those performances. I laugh that we are already talking like she is eliminated. This show is nothing if not predictable.

I resigned myself early on that Heather probably would go out in the quarters or semis. There is just so much talent this year and really likeable and well-known stars that I always assumed she'd struggle getting enough votes to make it right to the end. People like Glee but it's been off the air a couple of years so she isn't as present in people's minds. Add in that she's up against Normani from 5H who are big right now, Simone who is coming off a historic Olympics, Nancy who will never be forgotten because of all the drama in 1994 and David coming off a World Series win and it just didn't seem likely early on. Now Rashad is coming on strong with both dance and personality and it seems inevitable. I'd be happy to be wrong, but all I really want is to see Heather dance as much as possible and if she goes, to go out on a strong performance.

• Love 4

That people are talking about a contestant doing a pro dance with the troupe rather than dancing with her partner during the finale shows the difference between Heather, a PROFESSIONAL DANCER, and any other contestant with dance experience who's been on.

And yes, I felt the same way about Meryl and Charlie and them dancing together at the finale.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Beatrice said:

She's a pro dancer though right? I think I head that once somewhere.

ZOMG!!11!  I am so shocked, I will never watch this show again!   Never ever ever!! :-)

Edited by SnarkyTart
emphasis
  • Love 4
13 minutes ago, Beatrice said:

Heather can't buy a good dancing spot. She's going fourth.

Honestly and Simone is going in the second half again for the 5th time 

• Love 1

Hopefully next week is a dance Maks excels and and can fill with content. I feel for Heather because she knew that jazz didn't live up to her potential. Pros are allowed to get help with choreography, Maks should have reached out to someone or you know even asked Heather.

• Love 1

I don't care if people have dance experience, there have been a number, but this person is a paid professional dancer. Huge difference.

It would be a huge difference perhaps if no other contestants had been paid professional dancers. But since other contestants have been paid professional dancers, I don't see a huge difference between Heather and Trista Sutter, Melissa Rycroft, Mario Lopez, Sabrina Bryan, Alfonso Ribeiro, or Corbin Bleu, (and I'd put Nicole Scherzinger, Meryl Davis and Charlie White in the professional dancer category, but I think they're more debatable) I'm sure there are others that I've forgotten about.

I also don't know if you watched Glee, but Heather was an actress. Yes, she got her break because of being a Beyonce back up dance, but her primary role as Brittany was to act and she got hired to be a recurring then regular because of her acting, not her dancing. She got some dance spotlights just as Harry Shum Jr got some dance spotlights, but it's very insulting to them and their work to dismiss the fact that most of what they did on Glee was act. (and that's actually more true of Heather than Harry Shum Jr. because she was acting more than dancing pretty much right away whereas Harry Shum Jr. took a little longer to get speaking lines and even longer for a real storyline). I would guess that Heather's been a professional actress for longer than she ever danced professionally, although I don't know the fullness of Heather's dance career. She has not danced professionally since she had her baby, and I'm not clear on how much serious training, if any, she did since having her baby.

Her technical training helps her just as Simone's flexibility, balance, and acrobatics helps her and Nancy's flexibility, experience with performing choreography to music, balance, and experience with spins helps her. But lead-follow dancing is a very different technique, and there are many examples of excellent contemporary dancers who struggle in Dancesport (and vice versa).

• Love 2

Yeah yikes, that was not great. I don't get it. Does Alan not get to contribute since he's helping out? Or maybe he's not great at Jazz either since I believe ballroom was his specialty on SYTYCD. And I guess Peta's commitment is to her celebrity but it's even more striking seeing what Peta came up with for Nick who isn't close to the technical dancer that Heather is. 

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Yeah yikes, that was not great. I don't get it. Does Alan not get to contribute since he's helping out? Or maybe he's not great at Jazz either since I believe ballroom was his specialty on SYTYCD. And I guess Peta's commitment is to her celebrity but it's even more striking seeing what Peta came up with for Nick who isn't close to the technical dancer that Heather is. 

I'm not really sure, but I'm sad that it appeared that Alan didn't have input in the choreography (I say appeared because I don't know how much he contributed, if any). Although I did take note of Alan saying that Maks wanted character for jazz, so I take it as him passing the blame to Maks for the shitty dance that he had Heather not do. I was really pissed off to see her prancing about for thirty seconds of the dance, and then just doing lifts the rest of the time. That's not a knock on Heather or Alan, but totally on Maks. She's completely capable of dancing jazz. She was excited to do jazz. That was not jazz. I'm glad she subtly shaded him on it. 

I'm going to miss Alan. I'll wait until Heather's package next week to judge, but initial thoughts are that she's not that happy to be switching partners. She really did seem to enjoy Alan and they worked well together. 

• Love 5
45 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I'm not really sure, but I'm sad that it appeared that Alan didn't have input in the choreography (I say appeared because I don't know how much he contributed, if any). Although I did take note of Alan saying that Maks wanted character for jazz, so I take it as him passing the blame to Maks for the shitty dance that he had Heather not do. I was really pissed off to see her prancing about for thirty seconds of the dance, and then just doing lifts the rest of the time. That's not a knock on Heather or Alan, but totally on Maks. She's completely capable of dancing jazz. She was excited to do jazz. That was not jazz. I'm glad she subtly shaded him on it. 

I'm going to miss Alan. I'll wait until Heather's package next week to judge, but initial thoughts are that she's not that happy to be switching partners. She really did seem to enjoy Alan and they worked well together. 

Based of their SM it seems Heather and Alan had a lot of fun together. We'll see. In the package it showed Heather still going to Maks for this thoughts on the dance so I think she still seems him as her teacher. He really let her down with this dance and she totally knew it. Her best dance was the Tango which Alan choreographed. There was a lot of content in that dance.

• Love 2

I took jazz dancing for years and spent hours enjoying watching every Bob Fosse movie I could. This was not jazz. However, did I understand correctly that the producers gave them this song and the jazz style? If so, Max was also sabotaged. 

I'm about to start a #letheatherdance campaign! What was that? She did what she could with that nothing burger! She's on the show, she can dance, we all know it , LET HER DANCE! The approach was all wrong (not her fault) hello producers.  To heck with the "playing the character approach", use the Disney music and take liberties (aka using "Unforgettable" from the "Finding Dory Credits".) I almost feel like this was a scrap it "don't really go for it week" so next week they can throw everything out there in the dance but the kitchen sink, in celebration of Maks return. That being said, I have compiled a list of songs they could have used and killed with! I don’t care if she wins, doesn’t win, whether she or anyone else on this show had one dance lesson or is a freakin beast in the dance world, Entertain me! No I do not care about anyone's "Journey"

"Rhapsody in Blue" from "Fantasia 2000"

"Step in Time" from "Mary Poppins"

"When Were Human" From "The Princess and the Frog"

"I Don't Dance" from "High School Musical 2" (think of the Irony there lol")

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Love2dance said:

I took jazz dancing for years and spent hours enjoying watching every Bob Fosse movie I could. This was not jazz. However, did I understand correctly that the producers gave them this song and the jazz style? If so, Max was also sabotaged. 

Maks flopped hard and no excuse for that "jazz". But yeah, it's storyline as well. Heather's not in jeopardy at all, her fanbase is solid enough to carry her for a bit longer. They gave them a song that was tough for the dance assignment, they knew they gave it to a pro inexperienced in the style...ergo, likelihood of floppage was always high. Personally I'll see it as confirmation if they next get a dance style that Maks really likes choreographing (AT, paso, samba, mambo etc.). They're creating false suspense and ridiculous "narratives" here.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, Venee said:

I'm about to start a #letheatherdance campaign! What was that? She did what she could with that nothing burger! She's on the show, she can dance, we all know it , LET HER DANCE!

Exactly.

I did think all her previous dances had a lot of content though, much more than anyone else so far but last night was such a missed opportunity. Hopefully going back to what he knows Maks will give her a competition worthy routine. I think that is the only hope she has of impressing the judges. Curious to see what style the group dance is. If it's free style it could be a chance for them to really let her loose.

6 minutes ago, katha said:

Maks flopped hard and no excuse for that "jazz". But yeah, it's storyline as well. Heather's not in jeopardy at all, her fanbase is solid enough to carry her for a bit longer. They gave them a song that was tough for the dance assignment, they knew they gave it to a pro inexperienced in the style...ergo, likelihood of floppage was always high. Personally I'll see it as confirmation if they next get a dance style that Maks really likes choreographing (AT, paso, samba, mambo etc.). They're creating false suspense and ridiculous "narratives" here.

I don't think she's safe. I think we see her in jeopardy next week.

9 hours ago, Beatrice said:

In the package it showed Heather still going to Maks for this thoughts on the dance so I think she still seems him as her teacher. He really let her down with this dance and she totally knew it.

It feels like a whole lotta manipulation.  She does crappy with Alan on a style she knows in her sleep, so that Maks can return triumphant with some sort of ballroom dance.  Very cynical.  

Edited by RedFiat
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, RedFiat said:

It feels like a whole lotta manipulation.  She does crappy with Alan on a style she knows in her sleep, so that Maks can return triumphant with some sort of ballroom dance.  Very cynical.  

Agree. I've accepted that she's not going to make it all the way and they are clearly showing her a certain way but last show was so overt it was boarding on ridiculous. As soon as they showed her saying she could do jazz I was like oh this dance is going to suck. Only thing I am holding on to is the show might not want to eliminate Maks on his first week back.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Beatrice said:

I don't think she's safe. I think we see her in jeopardy next week.

I think she'll be in "jeopardy", but it won't mean a thing apart from obvious manipulation. I think her fanbase is solid enough and motivated by her not so hot scores this week, they'll vote, it won't be a problem. The one who's probably really in trouble is Nancy. She had good scores, she performed well, she's constantly flying under the radar. I hope Nancy can outlast at least Bonner and Nick, but I'm not sure at all that she can manage that. Heather? I don't think she has a problem at this point in time, perhaps right before finals, but not earlier IMO.

• Love 1

I thought Corbin schooling Karina was a bit obscene, however, we got to see how great Corbin is at his craft. But this hiding Heather's talent in a horrible dance was treating the audience like we're idiots.  Uncool. 

• Love 2

Why oh why can't Maks just go away? It's pretty obvious he just came back to collect a paycheck. I wish he would just withdraw and let Alan do the choreography.  At least don't come back next season Dude if you aren't going to put all your effort into your partner.

• Love 6
On 4/13/2017 at 1:38 AM, katha said:

Maks was in rehearsal last week as well, he also choreographed the cha cha together with Alan. I know the hate for him is strong, but a lot what's being thrown around is just fairytales at this point. He wasn't present for one week, he's been involved in everything since then. Perhaps it wasn't in the package and Maks is older, so he doesn't make as much promo for himself on social media as Alan does, but that doesn't change facts. It's been confirmed that he was actively involved in both teaching and choreo this last week, for next week as well. Alan did one week of solo work (the tango), Maks has been involved in everything else. He'll probably be back for this week. And the injury is really not his fault. Reading some of the stuff out there, at this point I hope he comes back and kicks some serious ass. Maks annoys me a lot as well, but he's basically done everything he can considering his situation and the baseless rumours flying around are just nasty and not based in any sort of facts.

Maks did not choreograph the cha cha with Heather AT ALL. I am so sick of people not giving Alan 100 percent credit when he choreographed the Tango and Cha cha. 

13 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

The way they pushed the statement that Maks choreographed the dance right before the package and his comment of him being the captain made it clear that he was BACK and he wanted alan to know who was her partner. That being said he blew it. The "jazz" failed her and Alan's dances were much better. 

• Love 2

Did anyone catch Alan's FB live with Entertainment Tonight. Had some good stuff. He mentioned the Tango was 100% his, Maks wasn't there, he was there for the cha cha though. The jazz was all Maks. I think he feels like everyone else that he danced four dances with Heather and the season is half over so...Didn't say what dance Heather had this week but he said it would be easy on Mak's leg. Any ideas?

10 minutes ago, Beatrice said:

Did anyone catch Alan's FB live with Entertainment Tonight. Had some good stuff. He mentioned the Tango was 100% his, Maks wasn't there, he was there for the cha cha though. The jazz was all Maks. I think he feels like everyone else that he danced four dances with Heather and the season is half over so...Didn't say what dance Heather had this week but he said it would be easy on Mak's leg. Any ideas?

Rumba or Waltz?

So Alan choreographed Heather's best dance which was the tango.  Maks and Alan choreographed the cha cha and it had a lot of cha cha content.  The cheesy part at the beginning was probably Maks and it caused a point deduction for the lift.   Maks gets the credit for the terrible jazz which was not a jazz.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

Rumba or Waltz?

They did the waltz week one so hopefully a rumba and not a foxtrot since for me it's a similar vibe to the waltz. They still have the group dance as well which will probably be an upbeat dance.

10 minutes ago, Beatrice said:

They did the waltz week one so hopefully a rumba and not a foxtrot since for me it's a similar vibe to the waltz. They still have the group dance as well which will probably be an upbeat dance.

They did Viennese Waltz the first week, not Waltz. 

20 minutes ago, realdancemom said:

So Alan choreographed Heather's best dance which was the tango.  Maks and Alan choreographed the cha cha and it had a lot of cha cha content.  The cheesy part at the beginning was probably Maks and it caused a point deduction for the lift.   Maks gets the credit for the terrible jazz which was not a jazz.

Their tango was great because Alan kept it just that--a tango. No spectacle, no unnecessary additions to distract from the dancing, just a simple tango that Heather nailed. The cha-cha wasn't bad either, but it was clear that Alan didn't have total control over the dance. The jazz was all Maks, as Alan and Heather made clear several times during their eight minutes on screen. So you can see my lack of enthusiasm for Heather's future dances, and NOT because of Heather. She's wonderful and Alan made sure her talent was showcased. 

I just want to know how Maks can screw up Heather's forte. He really should have allowed Alan more reign on the dance since he couldn't actually do any of the made up lifts that he was trying to explain to them. That being said, Heather/Alan looked super cute in their costumes. 

• Love 3

Man, Heather cannot catch a break with this show. I expected some evening out at the beginning, with all the professional dancer complaints, but they seem to be actively working against her at this point. She would've been fine if Glee was still on the air, but I don't think her core fanbase is strong enough to compete with the obvious favorites for much longer. I really hope she gets the chance to get a really great performance in there before she goes, but with Maks behind the wheel, I'm not holding my breath.

20 hours ago, Zuleikha said:

I also don't know if you watched Glee, but Heather was an actress. Yes, she got her break because of being a Beyonce back up dance, but her primary role as Brittany was to act and she got hired to be a recurring then regular because of her acting, not her dancing. She got some dance spotlights just as Harry Shum Jr got some dance spotlights, but it's very insulting to them and their work to dismiss the fact that most of what they did on Glee was act. (and that's actually more true of Heather than Harry Shum Jr. because she was acting more than dancing pretty much right away whereas Harry Shum Jr. took a little longer to get speaking lines and even longer for a real storyline). I would guess that Heather's been a professional actress for longer than she ever danced professionally, although I don't know the fullness of Heather's dance career. She has not danced professionally since she had her baby, and I'm not clear on how much serious training, if any, she did since having her baby.

Yeah, Heather was obviously brought on in a dancing capacity at first and Brittany was always featured heavily in the dancing department, but her role was much more acting heavy than it ever was dance. She never got the kind of dance solos or dance focus that Harry Shum Jr got. Even Kevin McHale, whose character was in a wheelchair, got more dance solo time than Heather did on the show, I'd say. Her role on Glee was much more about being the comic relief with her ditzy/weird one liners, and her on/off/on again relationship with Santana (and other place holder relationships with dudes in between).

I think she still does dance classes and dances for fun, and her best friends are mostly all professional dancers, but yeah, I don't think she's anywhere near where she was. It's not like she could go on tour with Beyonce now a days, I'm sure.

Apparently there was talk that Heather wasn't happy, maybe it was changing partners, maybe it was the scores she got on Disney week.. .   Who knows, but this picture somewhat supports the idea that some are having a bit more fun.   But this week she has Rumba with Maks and a Girl Band choreo which she should nail in her sleep, so she won't have any trouble getting great scores.     

Edited by RedFiat
29 minutes ago, RedFiat said:

Apparently there was talk that Heather wasn't happy, maybe it was changing partners, maybe it was the scores she got on Disney week.. .   Who knows, but this picture somewhat supports the idea that some are having a bit more fun.   But this week she has Rumba with Maks and a Girl Band choreo which she should nail in her sleep, so she won't have any trouble getting great scores.     

Wow! Picture tells a thousand words.  Heather always seems to have her arms crossed.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Beatrice said:

Are you going to post the other pictures from that series of her smiling? 

Others?  There's one I saw similar body language.  Artem looking at Maks, not sure what that means.

17933783_798615870285891_4385411636442169344_n.jpg

Edited by RedFiat

This one is ?  Looks like Nancy is reading from a card and I guess something is said that gives the pros reason for a high five,  to Normani, Simone looks on smiling and Heather adjusts her hair?  I haven't seen others. 

C94rfYVXgAAn9nE.jpg

Edited by RedFiat
8 minutes ago, RedFiat said:

This one is ?  Looks like Nancy is reading from a card and I guess something is said that gives the pros reason for a high five,  to Normani, Simone looks on smiling and Heather adjusts her hair?  I haven't seen others. 

C94rfYVXgAAn9nE.jpg

I saw one on this Artem fan twitter just now with all the girls and Heather is smiling. Normani is "smizing" lol  (the fact there is an Artem group cracks me up, I had no idea there was such a following). I doubt Heather cares as much as whomever did the sluething or behind the scenes "reporting" thinks she does.... to even be "upset". They know everything we don't about how this show operates. Looks like they are easing Maks back in with a dance that doesn't require so much demand on his injury.

On another note this team better kill! It's a lopsided division, because all the heavy hitters are in this group. I'm expecting team "boy Band" which I'm assuming is the other team, to have their pro partners working over time trying to even it out. For Heather's sake I hope they don't do Desitny's Child. I bet she hopes so too....

44 minutes ago, RedFiat said:

There's some others pics on instagram. 

I would guess they are giving a high five because they found out they are using a Fifth Harmony song.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, RedFiat said:

Others?  There's one I saw similar body language.  Artem looking at Maks, not sure what that means.

17933783_798615870285891_4385411636442169344_n.jpg

They group is clearly being shown something and Heather looks excited. I don't really get the need to analyze still photographs of live moments to make some sort of judgment of Heather's personality. Of the three pictures posted you can only see her face in two. One she looks engaged and the other she looks blank. That represents two seconds of what was probably several hours of rehearsal. Heather's a low-key person. That's pretty clear from what we've seen on the show but she also has seemed enthusiastic to be there, friendly and hardworking. If you were to take this picture above on its own, you could say Simone is pissed and unhappy but that doesn't line up with what we know about her or what we're seeing elsewhere. It's just a second of time.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, vibeology said:

They group is clearly being shown something and Heather looks excited. I don't really get the need to analyze still photographs of live moments to make some sort of judgment of Heather's personality. Of the three pictures posted you can only see her face in two. One she looks engaged and the other she looks blank. That represents two seconds of what was probably several hours of rehearsal. Heather's a low-key person. That's pretty clear from what we've seen on the show but she also has seemed enthusiastic to be there, friendly and hardworking. If you were to take this picture above on its own, you could say Simone is pissed and unhappy but that doesn't line up with what we know about her or what we're seeing elsewhere. It's just a second of time.

Agreed. We don't know what exactly is going on in that moment. It's hard to know for sure what is going on with Heather in those photos. Sure, the first photo does speak a little louder with everyone else laughing and Maks/Heather off to the side with blank expressions, but for all we know, Artem said a funny joke about Beyonce and Heather wasn't amused, or maybe she was tired and took a few extra seconds to jump in on the laughter. But she looks fine in the other photos. The only thing I note is how distant at least Maks feels in all of those photos posted above. But again, we don't know the context so I'm trying not to analyze the photos and make assumptions about Heather and her personality. At least not until tonight's show, when we get actual context. 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, vibeology said:

There were also several snaps and insta stories of the group goofy around. I think I know where that "rumor" came from and the place hates all things Heather/Normani/Chmerkovskiy brothers. 

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, Beatrice said:

the place hates all things Heather/Normani/Chmerkovskiy brothers. 

??? If they hate Normani why no shade on her for this group rehearsal?  The pics were posted well after the rumour started, and to be fair no one mentioned "who" was not happy, just that there was one contestant who was unhappy.  The first picture sort of supports who that person is, but it's not definitive.  

2 minutes ago, RedFiat said:

??? If they hate Normani why no shade on her for this group rehearsal?  The pics were posted well after the rumour started, and to be fair no one mentioned "who" was not happy, just that there was one contestant who was unhappy.  The first picture sort of supports who that person is, but it's not definitive.  

It doesn't support anything. There is a picture that wasn't posted of Simone not smiling. So we can make that narrative fit anyone based on one picture. 

1 hour ago, Venee said:

(the fact there is an Artem group cracks me up, I had no idea there was such a following)

The British show loves Artem, so my guess is it's British fans who will have no impact on the votes here.  His very first season he won, and they had over 14 million viewers. In a country  of 65 million that's a helluva lot more viewers and bigger ratings per capita than America. 

14 minutes ago, Beatrice said:

It doesn't support anything. There is a picture that wasn't posted of Simone not smiling. So we can make that narrative fit anyone based on one picture. 

Okay whatever.  The body language of Heather is closed and apart from the group compared to Simone, smiling has little to do with it. 

Edited by RedFiat
2 hours ago, RedFiat said:

Okay whatever.  The body language of Heather is closed and apart from the group compared to Simone, smiling has little to do with it. 

What's the big deal if Heather's body language is closed off and she's standing a bit further from the group? I'm genuinely curious as to how this reflects badly on Heather.  

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

What's the big deal if Heather's body language is closed off and she's standing a bit further from the group? I'm genuinely curious as to how this reflects badly on Heather.  

I'm thinking the "stirring of the pot, by attaching a narrative to a 2 second moment in time"  falls into the "People need to find what's wrong with you, because they can't handle what's right with you" category

• Love 4

Mza67WS.jpg

Clearly Simone is miserable and hates life or just Maks and Heather. There's also another one where everyone is smiling and goofing off.

People on the internet love to analysis pictures or frames from something with zero context and project all kinds of things onto something that is literally just a split second in time.

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

And now, I'm going to be forever bitter at Maks and Disney Night.

That just...sucks. It really, really sucks. Maybe a higher score from the judges could have saved her. 

This had zero to do with votes or scores IMHO. I suspect this may have had to do with some shuffling behind the scenes with Maks contract or something of that nature. I thought Nancy had no real fan base, but I forgot that Artem does... It's too bad, because I love an awesome dance and Heather had those in her. This show says vote for your favorite and therefore you get this mixed bag of awesome to "let me know when it's over"...