Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E10: Got Milk?

37 minutes ago, Mauison said:

I just finished watching this episode and the scene at the end, where Pamela was leaving the bunker and the outside faded to white made me think that she's going to die and we'll never see her again.

Has it been confirmed she'll be on future episodes?

As I recall, the stories about KWiig's casting mentioned that she would indeed have a "recurring" role. :) 

• Love 1

"You're a cat person that eats dog food. I'm a dog person that eats cat food.  I guess we weren't so different after all."

After my second viewing I liked this episode even more.  A lot more.  I also loved the Mike Miler episode. It's great when shows are allowed to take risks like this.  Granted you have the star power of Sudsy and Wiigsy, but I'm sure FOX wasn't too thrilled about another episode where they pay their stars to not be on.  Thankfully the Mike episode was so popular.  I also think a lot of viewers for three years have been saying they (we) want to see something that shows how it all started and the writers heard that.  

And I said it before but the parallels to this and Alive in Tucson make me love it that much more.     

Screen_Shot_2017_03_06_at_1.01.45_PM.0.jpg

• Love 3
On 3/8/2017 at 5:45 PM, Irlandesa said:

So why would the people who bought the bunkers need to take a physical before entering the bunker?

Yeah, there didn't seem to be a reason for that apart from the needs of the plot.

I loved this episode. This show is great at making goofy bits like the 'heart soup' scene surprisingly touching. And I so hope we see Jeremy again. That dog was painfully cute.

• Love 1
On 3/8/2017 at 2:09 PM, GRChereck said:

As I recall, the stories about KWiig's casting mentioned that she would indeed have a "recurring" role. :) 

Thanks!  Should be a fun watch when she finally meets everyone else.

• Love 1
On 3/8/2017 at 4:45 PM, Irlandesa said:

This brings up a question I had while watching.  The bunkers appeared to be unconnected to any other bunker.  No one else was around.  So why would the people who bought the bunkers need to take a physical before entering the bunker? 

I had this question too.  When she said that, I pictured more of a communal living space, like a dorm.

On 3/8/2017 at 5:36 PM, Mauison said:

I just finished watching this episode and the scene at the end, where Pamela was leaving the bunker and the outside faded to white made me think that she's going to die and we'll never see her again.

Has it been confirmed she'll be on future episodes?

Even if it hadn't been, I didn't take it that way at all.  It seemed pretty clear she was immune, and having her find the others with the drone but then never meet up with them would be a very strange red herring.

2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Maybe the reason they would have to take a physical is so the bunker wouldn't be wasted on someone who was going to die anyway. 

But she and her husband owned the bunker.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I know, but maybe it was a contractual thing, like they had to forfeit their ownership if they got sick. 

But then, they could have gone inside when Pence died.  They wouldn't get sick for a while (I'm assuming it was a while, since five more presidents died in the interim, plus all the cabinet members they skipped over), and they had to realize it was bad then.

• Love 1

So Pamela's husband went into that locked room to die and just stayed there? or the show skipped over the part where she buried him? Who knows, maybe in the season finale we find out that many of those ppl who had been presumed dead actually survived?

6 hours ago, Big Mother said:

So Pamela's husband went into that locked room to die and just stayed there? or the show skipped over the part where she buried him? Who knows, maybe in the season finale we find out that many of those ppl who had been presumed dead actually survived?

It was a sauna, and he reacted to her offer of making him soup by urging her to quickly leave the house as he had probably left germs on various surfaces (again, given that he slept with her in bed that night, I think she had been exposed regardless).  I had the strong impression that she did in fact leave at that moment (or maybe after quickly packing) and never went back to bury him or anything like that.

I also think that we are supposed to take from that scene that he definitely died.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, CofCinci said:

We don't see her enter/exit the decorated living space directly from the exterior door. The living space could be just one of a series of interior living spaces. 

That's what I was thinking. Maybe what we saw was one "apartment" within what was meant to be a larger bunker living community?

• Love 3

So it looks like we got some air time of a completely different group of colleagues at the time the virus hit Earth. And the woman we saw who stayed in the bunker is connected (or will be connected to) Tandy and his group due to seeing Erica, Gail and Todd with a drone camera, I assume? Not sure how that will work out but we will see, I guess. Did we see Erica, Gail and Todd spotting that camera in a previous episode (I can't remember)?

Like this show did with Mike, we pretty much got a whole episode giving us an idea of who this woman is supposed to be.

1 hour ago, Virtual Side said:

Did we see Erica, Gail and Todd spotting that camera in a previous episode (I can't remember)?

Yup; in the s.2 finale (2x18, "30 Years of Science Down the Tubes"), they (plus Carol) spotted it just before Melissa shot it down. :)

Edited by GRChereck
On 3/6/2017 at 9:03 AM, GRChereck said:

I kinda like that they left it open as to whether Trump was one of the first people to die from The Virus, or he was no longer President because of something else that happened (resignation / impeachment, or a different cause of death) prior to that. 

Seemed to me that he ceased to be President for completely unrelated causes. Pamela wouldn't have been so confident of the President having access to a vaccine. 

• Love 3

My explanation about why no one else was in the bunker was that the virus killed people much faster than expected, and they never made it there.

It's clear they had no idea how serious it would be, since the supplies were running out for just one person + dog after only 3 - 4 years.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

My explanation about why no one else was in the bunker was that the virus killed people much faster than expected, and they never made it there.

It's clear they had no idea how serious it would be, since the supplies were running out for just one person + dog after only 3 - 4 years.

You think that bunker was supposed to be for more than just the one couple and their cat?  I did not take it that way at all.

It seemed quite luxurious, to me. I thought it was meant for at least the couple who bought it, not a single person. But I also thought there was a health screening, and that meant they would expect more than just a single person or couple to enter-- why else would anyone care?

Maybe there were several bunkers connected by some sort of system that made adjoining units?

It's kind of nuts, though. Survivalists have supplies that last much longer than what we saw. You can go online and get 10 or 20 year rations with one click, and that's now, in a market I'm sure is much smaller and which serves much less wealthy people.

Of course, they're talking grains and beans, not booze.

Sure, it was meant for the couple and their cat, not just for one person.  And Pamela told her husband that the couple had bought "another home".  When he asked if it was in London, she smirked that it was a bunker and mocked them for it.  And when touring the bunker, she described it in terms of being an individual home: "Nice master bedroom" (or something to that effect), implying that her frenemy had individually chosen the decor.  Not to mention that said frenemy and husband had their photo displayed, but we didn't see anyone else's photos.

But yes, the thing with the health screening seems contradictory.  Here's my best effort at a fanwank:

The original intent was for this to be a kind of luxury apartment complex, underground.  In addition to the individually owned apartments, there might have been underground tennis courts, a putting green, maybe a restaurant, certainly a fitness room, and at least some kind of clubhouse for people to gather and socialize.  So everyone who paid for their bunker got a keycard to it individually.  But during the scheduled orientation period, people were screened and those who passed were also given keycards to get them into common areas.  There would have been group orientation presentations, "meet and greets", etc.  Even if you were just going to go into your own bunker, there were others milling about the parking lots and such.  Anyone who couldn't pass a health screening somewhere off site was kept away.

But either that orientation period ended, or (as suggested upthread) people started dying so fast, the whole administration collapsed.  However, what we saw was not consistent with anything about their individual bunker at least being unfinished.  All the power worked, the surveillance drone knew to automatically come back to its station and recharge, etc.  It's hard to imagine that someone in charge was requiring health screenings, yet no one was actually passing them and getting into their bunkers.  So I think either that wider complex's activity was in fact going on (in which case it's hard to understand why there wasn't any kind of communication system to connect with them on the screen), or else there's still a discrepancy in the writing that they didn't think through too fully or hoped we viewers would not think about too hard.

• Love 2

I happened upon an article which, among other things, describes a real-life complex of "bunker condos" built in an old missile silo in Kansas and owned by the uber-rich.  Fascinating.  They've got screens for windows (a New Yorker requested ones that show Central Park and change throughout the day and year to match the sun and seasons), a swimming pool, a shooting range, even a dog park--all underground.

The story is really long (about 8,000 words), but the stuff about the condos is shorter and starts about halfway through.  Just Ctrl-F search for "condo" or "Hall" (the name of the developer who built them).

• Love 2