Type keyword(s) to search

Gilmore Girls Elimination Game

• Start Topic

(edited)

Really tough now...

18 because it's a little less stand out for me then the others 

and 26....very sweet and Luke at his best but it's not as strong as the rest (totally unintentional rhyme)

I actually like 32 a lot, but then I don't really see it as typical Emily interference. I see it more as her way of showing support for Lorelai's choice to marry Luke (finally, and in her Emily way, but still). She also seems to be considering what's important to Lorelai and not what she thinks is "best" with the horses and the Stars Hollow address.  Plus, Lorelai seems touched by it and there is the subtle moment where Lorelai tells Emily she doesn't think it's going to happen and Emily reaches out and puts her hand on Lorelai's shoulder. Ah well though, I see the over stepping thing too.

Edited by Bumblebee Tights
  • Love 1
46 minutes ago, Bumblebee Tights said:

I actually like 32 a lot, but then I don't really see it as typical Emily interference. I see it more as her way of showing support for Lorelai's choice to marry Luke (finally, and in her Emily way, but still). She also seems to be considering what's important to Lorelai and not what she thinks is "best" with the horses and the Stars Hollow address.  Plus, Lorelai seems touched by it and there is the subtle moment where Lorelai tells Emily she doesn't think it's going to happen and Emily reaches out and puts her hand on Lorelai's shoulder. Ah well though, I see the over stepping thing too.

I agree!  I thought it was one of the more touching Emily/Lorelai moments, especially when Emily explained herself because she knew Lorelai would at first assume she was just interfering.  

Plus the idea of E/R "greasing Taylor Doose's palm" over the zoning thing makes me laugh and laugh.

3 - As much as it pains me to vote out a Luke/Rory scene, this one just felt off. Probably due to it being during the Dark Season, but still.

13 - Because Dean.

Voting against two at least once more!

Favorite Scenes Involving Gifts

4.  Liz gives Luke a pair of earrings she made and tells him to give them to his wife, or to Lorelai.  He gives them to Lorelai.  "Oh, hey, here." "Pretty." "Liz made them yesterday. She wanted you to have them." (Nag Hammadi)

7.  After they start dating, Luke gives Lorelai a necklace to match the earrings Liz made.  "I think that'll match the earrings I got you before. If they don't, I'll take them back." "Definitely goes." "Oh, yeah, look at that. Perfect match." "Perfect match." (A Messenger, Nothing More)

9.  Lorelai gives Emily a DVD player so she can have something to do while Richard is away on business trips.  "I picked up Singin’ in the Rain, Funny Girl, Easter Parade, An American in Paris, and as an added bonus, the new classic dance series – Urban Cowboy, Saturday Night Fever, Grease, Footloose, and Flashdance. Trust me, you’re gonna be cutting up your sweatshirts all weekend."  (Dear Emily and Richard)

10.  Richard gives Rory a gift after he and Emily return from their second honeymoon trip to Europe.  "Leaves of Grass in Greek. A hundred years old, some beautiful engravings." "Now I have to learn Greek."  Years later, we see a copy of Leaves of Grass by Richard's coffin in the Revival.  (So . . . Good Talk)

16.  Luke brings flowers to the test run of the Dragonfly.  "Here, these are for you -- a little congratulations." (Raincoats & Recipes)

18.  The girls give Richard their birthday gifts.  Rory had to pick Lorelai's out.  "I must say, I am a very spoiled man. Chuck Berry, and the complete history of the Peloponnesian War." "Well, sure, ‘cause a partial history would skip all the dirty stuff." "I especially like the way you wrapped the books in a bow tie. It’s very, very clever." (That'll Do, Pig)

26.  Luke finds out Richard had a heart attack so he shows up at the hospital to see if there's anything he can do.  After Emily sends him on a million errands, he comes back with food for everyone.  "Okay so look, I got a couple of burgers, assortment of sandwiches. There's some salads in case all of a sudden you want to eat some salad." "Mm hmm." "All right, couple pieces of pie, half a dozen chocolate-chip cookies, and, of course, there is the fish bag." "You brought a fish bag?" "Well I heard somebody talking about fish. There's two fillets, okay, Lobster roll, fish tacos, two Tuna-fish sandwiches, some fried fish, and fish sticks." (I'd Rather Be in Philadelphia)

31.  Richard and Emily come to Rory's Stars Hollow birthday party, Richard gives Rory a check.  "For Fez." "But Grandpa, you already took care of that." "Fez is a very large city." (Rory's Birthday Parties)

32.  Emily finally comes clean and admits what all the running around looking at properties in Stars Hollow was about.  "Now, before you get your nose out of joint and accuse me of interfering, hear me out. I think your house is very nice. I know you've put a lot of work into it. But, Lorelai, it's too small for the two of you, especially when you have children, if you have children, I mean. A man needs his own space and room, and Luke does not have that at your house. Also, I know you've always wanted horses, so I thought something with a little property might be nice. Now, I know it's not actually in Stars Hollow, but it's right on the border. It's only an extra ten minutes to the inn and an extra five minutes to the diner. Plus I did a little nosing around, and I heard that if you grease the palm of the Stars Hollow zoning commissioner, a man named Taylor Doose, you can get him to change property lines, so we can give you a Stars Hollow address if it's really important to you."  (Driving Miss Gilmore)

33.  Emily asks Lorelai to go shopping with her to pick out something for Rory's birthday.  "Here." "Oh, now that's really good." "Really?" "Absolutely." "Doesn't look like something you could buy at a car wash?" "Totally. That's half the charm."  (Rory's Birthday Parties)

38.  Lorelai gives Luke the blue hat after he drives her to the hospital to see Richard.  "What’s this for?" "Just thank you, Christmas, whatever." "Christmas isn’t for two weeks." "Do we really have to do this again?" (Forgiveness & Stuff)

18, 31

Now we're getting to the point where I'm just trying to preserve my favorites. And the basis for my favorites is moments of gift giving where the giver stepped outside of their comfort zone/and or did something truly selfless. So I'm just knocking off ones that, while perfectly lovely and touching, don't necessarily fit that criteria. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, ghoulina said:

And the basis for my favorites is moments of gift giving where the giver stepped outside of their comfort zone/and or did something truly selfless. So I'm just knocking off ones that, while perfectly lovely and touching, don't necessarily fit that criteria.

Oh, good parameters!  I'm copying you on that now that the choices are getting more difficult.

• Love 2

18 - I loved that Lorelai wrapped the gift (which she had to have Rory pick out) with the bowtie that she had picked out herself.  Otherwise, meh.

33 - As the show went on, I had to wonder if Lorelai knew her daughter as well as she thought she did.  Rory would have loved just about any of the gifts Emily wanted to get her, IMO, and forcing the elder Gilmores to give her such a tacky gift at the party they were throwing was pointless and embarrassing.

Drop to voting against one now.

4.  Liz gives Luke a pair of earrings she made and tells him to give them to his wife, or to Lorelai.  He gives them to Lorelai.  "Oh, hey, here." "Pretty." "Liz made them yesterday. She wanted you to have them." (Nag Hammadi)

7.  After they start dating, Luke gives Lorelai a necklace to match the earrings Liz made.  "I think that'll match the earrings I got you before. If they don't, I'll take them back." "Definitely goes." "Oh, yeah, look at that. Perfect match." "Perfect match." (A Messenger, Nothing More)

9.  Lorelai gives Emily a DVD player so she can have something to do while Richard is away on business trips.  "I picked up Singin’ in the Rain, Funny Girl, Easter Parade, An American in Paris, and as an added bonus, the new classic dance series – Urban Cowboy, Saturday Night Fever, Grease, Footloose, and Flashdance. Trust me, you’re gonna be cutting up your sweatshirts all weekend."  (Dear Emily and Richard)

10.  Richard gives Rory a gift after he and Emily return from their second honeymoon trip to Europe.  "Leaves of Grass in Greek. A hundred years old, some beautiful engravings." "Now I have to learn Greek."  Years later, we see a copy of Leaves of Grass by Richard's coffin in the Revival.  (So . . . Good Talk)

16.  Luke brings flowers to the test run of the Dragonfly.  "Here, these are for you -- a little congratulations." (Raincoats & Recipes)

26.  Luke finds out Richard had a heart attack so he shows up at the hospital to see if there's anything he can do.  After Emily sends him on a million errands, he comes back with food for everyone.  "Okay so look, I got a couple of burgers, assortment of sandwiches. There's some salads in case all of a sudden you want to eat some salad." "Mm hmm." "All right, couple pieces of pie, half a dozen chocolate-chip cookies, and, of course, there is the fish bag." "You brought a fish bag?" "Well I heard somebody talking about fish. There's two fillets, okay, Lobster roll, fish tacos, two Tuna-fish sandwiches, some fried fish, and fish sticks." (I'd Rather Be in Philadelphia)

31.  Richard and Emily come to Rory's Stars Hollow birthday party, Richard gives Rory a check.  "For Fez." "But Grandpa, you already took care of that." "Fez is a very large city." (Rory's Birthday Parties)

32.  Emily finally comes clean and admits what all the running around looking at properties in Stars Hollow was about.  "Now, before you get your nose out of joint and accuse me of interfering, hear me out. I think your house is very nice. I know you've put a lot of work into it. But, Lorelai, it's too small for the two of you, especially when you have children, if you have children, I mean. A man needs his own space and room, and Luke does not have that at your house. Also, I know you've always wanted horses, so I thought something with a little property might be nice. Now, I know it's not actually in Stars Hollow, but it's right on the border. It's only an extra ten minutes to the inn and an extra five minutes to the diner. Plus I did a little nosing around, and I heard that if you grease the palm of the Stars Hollow zoning commissioner, a man named Taylor Doose, you can get him to change property lines, so we can give you a Stars Hollow address if it's really important to you."  (Driving Miss Gilmore)

38.  Lorelai gives Luke the blue hat after he drives her to the hospital to see Richard.  "What’s this for?" "Just thank you, Christmas, whatever." "Christmas isn’t for two weeks." "Do we really have to do this again?" (Forgiveness & Stuff)

31 - Sweet little scene and a good depiction of the Rory/Richard relationship, but I agree it definitely was not unusual or out of character for him at all.

10 - Agree, sweet scene and it's lovely that we see the book at Richard's funeral *sniff* but otherwise unremarkable.

32 - It was a very thoughtful thing for E/R to do IMO but it's time for this one to go. Others are better.

26 - Luke being Luke.  Otherwise, nothing special.

16 still. I get why people see the fish bag one as just Luke being Luke. But given their contentious relationship over the past few months, and Lorelai being married to Christopher; I think it took a lot for him to show up there. Knowing her family would all be together. I definitely think that took him out of his comfort zone. More so than just giving flowers on the opening of the inn. *shrug*

4 - I just like that he gave them to Lorelai even though they were "just friends" at that point, even though Liz told him to give them to Nicole.  Heh.

Sorry for the delay, I've been sick as a dog since Tuesday.

16 out.  I love the flowers and Lorelai's reaction.  :)