Type keyword(s) to search

Gilmore Girls Elimination Game

• Start Topic

You all were just copying each other's answers to make it easier on yourselves, weren't you?  😏

14, 29, 37 out! Still three.

Favorite Scenes Involving Gifts

1.  Rory wants Dean and Lindsey to pick out a wedding gift for her to order for them.  "I'd recommend the mixing bowls, those are really nice. Or a knife set and a sharpener. Sharpening's very important. I learned that from Sookie. If you leave 'em too long, it's too late. Respect your knives." (Those Are Strings, Pinocchio)

2.  Luke goes to the Truncheon open house.  Jess gives Luke a copy of the book he wrote, with a check inside.  "You owe me nothing." "I owe you. Take it. If you rip it up, I'm just gonna send another." (The Real Paul Anka)

3.  Luke gives Rory his mother's pearls for her 21st birthday.  "It was my mother's. Liz can't wear it 'cause her neck's too fat, but your neck looks, you know, not fat. It was sitting around in my drawer, so I thought, 'hey, give it to Rory'. You know you're lucky 'cause Caesar's birthday is next month and I know he likes pearls, so . . ." "Thank you." (Twenty-One is the Loneliest Number)

4.  Liz gives Luke a pair of earrings she made and tells him to give them to his wife, or to Lorelai.  He gives them to Lorelai.  "Oh, hey, here." "Pretty." "Liz made them yesterday. She wanted you to have them." (Nag Hammadi)

5.  Lorelai runs into Luke coming out of le Chat Club.  "Wow, pot holders." "Yes." "Little kitty pot holders. They meow." "It's a present." "For someone you hate?" "It's Rachel's birthday, okay? And don't say anything, she doesn't want anybody to know. She hates birthdays." "Not as much as she's gonna hate these pot holders."  (P.S. I Lo...)

6.  Rory comes into Luke's for breakfast on her 16th birthday.  "Hey, wrong table." "Since when is there a right table?" "Since the coffee cake I baked for you and the stupid balloons I blew up are at that table, over there." "You blew up balloons for me?" "Yep." "Oh, Luke, you old softie." "I count to three, it's gone."  (Rory's Birthday Parties)

7.  After they start dating, Luke gives Lorelai a necklace to match the earrings Liz made.  "I think that'll match the earrings I got you before. If they don't, I'll take them back." "Definitely goes." "Oh, yeah, look at that. Perfect match." "Perfect match." (A Messenger, Nothing More)

8.  Lorelai gives Rory a computer for her 16th birthday.  "It's way too expensive." "I know, that's what I told the guy at the store." (Rory's Birthday Parties)

9.  Lorelai gives Emily a DVD player so she can have something to do while Richard is away on business trips.  "I picked up Singin’ in the Rain, Funny Girl, Easter Parade, An American in Paris, and as an added bonus, the new classic dance series – Urban Cowboy, Saturday Night Fever, Grease, Footloose, and Flashdance. Trust me, you’re gonna be cutting up your sweatshirts all weekend."  (Dear Emily and Richard)

10.  Richard gives Rory a gift after he and Emily return from their second honeymoon trip to Europe.  "Leaves of Grass in Greek. A hundred years old, some beautiful engravings." "Now I have to learn Greek."  Years later, we see a copy of Leaves of Grass by Richard's coffin in the Revival.  (So . . . Good Talk)

11.  Emily gets Richard a cigar humidor for his birthday.   "It belonged to a lieutenant in the army in World War I. Apparently, he kept it in his field office in France. There are carvings in the bottom that the dealer said could possibly be coded messages."  (That'll Do, Pig)

12.  Dean is building Rory a car.  "This is crazy. Why would you do this?" "I don't know. You didn't have one." "You're completely insane."  (Star-Crossed Lovers and Other Strangers)

13.  Dean gives Rory the bracelet he made her.  "Well, I bought the medallion and I just cut some leather straps and drilled a hole, and well, you like it?" "I -- it's amazing."

15.  Sookie gives Jackson a CCR t-shirt for their anniversary.  "Oh, Jackson, I love the shirt." "Isn't it great? It's an anniversary gift from Sookie." "Sweet, huh?" "These two kids." "I got to tell you, I was completely surprised. I figured, with the test run and everything, she'd be way too busy to remember." "Aw, What are you talking about, Sookie could never forget her mushroom man." "I'd love her to forget that nickname though." (Raincoats & Recipes)

16.  Luke brings flowers to the test run of the Dragonfly.  "Here, these are for you -- a little congratulations." (Raincoats & Recipes)

17.  Lorelai has to come up with a gift for Luke when she and Rory come back from backpacking across Europe.  "What are you talking about? We do not go to Europe and come back without bringing something for Luke. Here." "Jam." "Yes, fancy French jam." "Fruits de la Terre. Very impressive." "It's handmade by this woman in Paris who has the most amazing story." "Really?" "Yeah. Orphaned." "Uh huh." "And illiterate." "Okay." "Just had nothing in her life, you know, except this burning desire to be the world's greatest jamstress. And she's famous now and, uh, you know, she only makes three bottles of that stuff a year and that's one of 'em, and I brought it all the way across the, uh. . .I got it from Sookie's house." (Ballrooms & Biscotti)

18.  The girls give Richard their birthday gifts.  Rory had to pick Lorelai's out.  "I must say, I am a very spoiled man. Chuck Berry, and the complete history of the Peloponnesian War." "Well, sure, ‘cause a partial history would skip all the dirty stuff." "I especially like the way you wrapped the books in a bow tie. It’s very, very clever." (That'll Do, Pig)

19.  Gran is coming to visit and Emily is freaking out about having to pull all of her gifts out of storage.  "Mother, Grandma is a very old woman, I highly doubt that she’s going to remember everything she ever bought you." "She will remember down to the very last shrimp fork and do you know why?" "No. Do you guys know why?" Because she doesn’t just give you a present, she gives you a present and she tells you where to put it, how to use it, what it costs - for insurance purposes of course - and God forbid you should have a different opinion or you don’t think it works in the space or you just get tired of waking up every morning with those horrifying animals staring at you!" "She’s just upset." "Stop talking to the dogs!" (The Third Lorelai)

20.  Rory finds the perfect graduation gift for Lorelai while browsing the music shop with Jess, an album by the Go-Go's.  "This was her favorite group when she was my age, and it's signed by Belinda. This would be the perfect graduation present. I've been looking for something all week long, and I couldn't find anything and now I have Belinda." (Lorelai's Graduation Day)

21.  Richard and Emily bring back marzipan from their trip to Europe.  "Marzipan is not candy. It is a unique substance unto itself, like Velveeta or plutonium."  (The Nanny and the Professor)

22.  Emily sneaks into Rory's dorm room and buys her all new furniture.  "I came home and all the normal furniture was gone and all this stuff was in here." "What did your roommates say?" "Tanna still doesn't know she's at Yale, Paris saw it and said nothing." "Oh, so that's coming." "Janet's out jogging so I don't know what she thinks, but I have to hope she's pleased 'cause that girl's in shape and can kick my butt."  (The Hobbit, the Sofa, and Digger Stiles)

23.  Logan gives Rory a rather cryptic gift.  "What? Rocket gum. It could be a thing." "There was no gum in it." "It doesn't have a button you can push?" "No, nothing like that. It's just a model rocket. I mean, what could that mean? Who gives someone a rocket?" (The Long Morrow)

25.  April sneaks over to see Luke, they exchange their Christmas gifts to each other.  "How's that?" "Good. It really livens up your apartment." "It's a very lively mask. Thanks again, April. I love it. I really do." "It's based on my real face you know." "Oh, yeah?" "Oh I mean not the outside, but the inside. I made it in art class, and I had to lie still with straws up my nose while a partner put plaster strips on my face." "Straws up your nose." "I suffer for my art." .....  "Wow! A rock polisher! Thanks so much." "You like it?" "It's the perfect present." "Well you hinted at it pretty hard, so I figured it might be the right thing." (Santa's Secret Stuff)

26.  Luke finds out Richard had a heart attack so he shows up at the hospital to see if there's anything he can do.  After Emily sends him on a million errands, he comes back with food for everyone.  "Okay so look, I got a couple of burgers, assortment of sandwiches. There's some salads in case all of a sudden you want to eat some salad." "Mm hmm." "All right, couple pieces of pie, half a dozen chocolate-chip cookies, and, of course, there is the fish bag." "You brought a fish bag?" "Well I heard somebody talking about fish. There's two fillets, okay, Lobster roll, fish tacos, two Tuna-fish sandwiches, some fried fish, and fish sticks." (I'd Rather Be in Philadelphia)

28.  Tobin and Michel try to out-do each other giving Lorelai gifts after the Inn burns down.  "Tobin, I love candles." "And it’s scented, cappuccino." .... "Michel, it’s beautiful." "Yes, well, I wanted it to be special, you know. Not just some knick-knack you could pick up at the supermarket or the car wash." .... "That is the jacket that Joe Strummer wore during the 1979 Pearl Harbor tour." "No." "Yes!" .... "I have to run an errand.  Just be here when I get back." (Happy Birthday Baby_

30.  Rory gives Richard and Emily the gifts she and Lorelai picked out for them while in Europe.  "Oh my, it's lovely, Rory, really. Just beautiful." "It was between this and the Arc de Triumphe, but Mom said that the Eiffel Tower was fancier." .... "We found this amazing pipe store in Copenhagen and the man there can carve anything you want. His family's been doing it for over a hundred and fifty years. And they had a whole set of Alice in Wonderland pipes that Mom wanted to get, but they were way too expensive so we just got the Queen of Hearts." "Well, I love it." "Yes, and you're gonna love it outside on the patio."  (Ballrooms & Biscotti)

31.  Richard and Emily come to Rory's Stars Hollow birthday party, Richard gives Rory a check.  "For Fez." "But Grandpa, you already took care of that." "Fez is a very large city." (Rory's Birthday Parties)

32.  Emily finally comes clean and admits what all the running around looking at properties in Stars Hollow was about.  "Now, before you get your nose out of joint and accuse me of interfering, hear me out. I think your house is very nice. I know you've put a lot of work into it. But, Lorelai, it's too small for the two of you, especially when you have children, if you have children, I mean. A man needs his own space and room, and Luke does not have that at your house. Also, I know you've always wanted horses, so I thought something with a little property might be nice. Now, I know it's not actually in Stars Hollow, but it's right on the border. It's only an extra ten minutes to the inn and an extra five minutes to the diner. Plus I did a little nosing around, and I heard that if you grease the palm of the Stars Hollow zoning commissioner, a man named Taylor Doose, you can get him to change property lines, so we can give you a Stars Hollow address if it's really important to you."  (Driving Miss Gilmore)

33.  Emily asks Lorelai to go shopping with her to pick out something for Rory's birthday.  "Here." "Oh, now that's really good." "Really?" "Absolutely." "Doesn't look like something you could buy at a car wash?" "Totally. That's half the charm."  (Rory's Birthday Parties)

34.  Emily wants to redecorate a room for Rory at the Gilmore mansion and calls to find out Rory's favorite things.  They settle on the color blue, and sunflowers, but Rory can't decide between N'Sync or 98 Degrees.  "What about that other group? The Backside Boys?" (Emily in Wonderland)

35.  Chris sends Lorelai a gift basket when she graduates from business school.  A $25 savings bond, a youth hostel card, a practical manual for job hunters, a DVD of The Graduate, The Portable Nietzsche, an application to join the Armed Forces, and a pearl necklace.  "I think you're awesome, Lor. With everything you do and raising Rory the way you did, you're superwoman." "Wow." "Have a great day. I wish I could be there. Take lots of pictures for me." "Ugh, the camera, I forgot the camera." "Look in the basket."  (Lorelai's Graduation Day)

38.  Lorelai gives Luke the blue hat after he drives her to the hospital to see Richard.  "What’s this for?" "Just thank you, Christmas, whatever." "Christmas isn’t for two weeks." "Do we really have to do this again?" (Forgiveness & Stuff)

39.  Emily and Richard bring back a gift from Martha's Vineyard.  "Scone mix, wow." "This new little place opened right down the road from our house and they make these wonderful scones, and that is their mix so you can make them right in your own kitchen." "Well, thanks, Mom. I will put this right on the counter and stare at it for many years to come." "You’re not going to make them?" "Oh, I’m not really much of a baker." "But the instructions are right there on the back." "Yeah, I know, but still." "Still what? Those are good scones." "Hey, maybe I’ll give this to Sookie and she’ll bake them." "I don’t understand why you simply can’t follow those directions and make the scones. Rory would love those scones." "Okay, I promise one way or another, the scones will get eaten."

40.  Mrs. Kim wants Lane to get something ready to send to Dave in California.  Lane calls Rory in a panic.  "It's the jug." "What jug?" "The jug. The big jug. The monumental jug." "What jug?" "Remember when I was a kid, my mother showed me the special jug that's been passed down in my family for years and years in a long-standing Kim tradition that she is personally going to present to the boy I'm going to wed?" "Oh, my G-d. The marriage jug?" "The marriage jug."

1 (because that wedding...ugh)

20 (because this entire episode makes me really sad for Lorelai. The gift never made it and it was kind of tainted by her sneaking off to see Jess.)

39 (Yes, Emily should have known her better, but I thought Lorelai was very ungracious when receiving that gift.)

4 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

39 (Yes, Emily should have known her better, but I thought Lorelai was very ungracious when receiving that gift.)

Oh boy, I could not agree more.  Say 'thank you' and change the subject, Lorelai.  Lord.  Not to mention, how many years was Emily out of her life? How was she supposed to know Lorelai's extent of cooking knowledge was to open a bag of tater tots and dump them on a pan?  She did raise a child on her own with no cooking staff and not much money, after all.  Following directions on a baking mix should not have been beyond her level.  Moving on.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Taryn74 said:

You all were just copying each other's answers to make it easier on yourselves, weren't you?  😏

Actually, trying to save you the agony of tie-breaking!

I must say I am enjoying reading the reasons for the decisions.

1 (yeah, that awful wedding)

5 (because, you know, clueless)

39 (because, after a lifetime of knowing each other, they don't know each other at all)

1 minute ago, Kohola3 said:

Actually, trying to save you the agony of tie-breaking!

Ha ha ha, much appreciated!

1 minute ago, Kohola3 said:

I must say I am enjoying reading the reasons for the decisions.

Yes, I always love reading these little tidbits!

8,11 -just because they don't stand out as much as the others for me

22-because this was a pretty rude "gift"

I actually really like 1...I mean the wedding was an awful idea of course but I like this moment between Rory and Dean.

Edited by Bumblebee Tights
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, Bumblebee Tights said:

I actually really like 1...I mean the wedding was an awful idea of course but I like this moment between Rory and Dean.

I do, too.  There are precious few moments between Rory and Dean I actually like, so when there is one I try to show it some appreciation.  I thought they both seemed genuine and felt like actual friends in this scene.  Alas, it's out this round.  

So are 39, which I've already talked about above, and 22, which I agree is not really a 'gift' at all but is really just Emily making sure Rory has the upper hand among her suite-mates.  Rory and Lorelai talking about their reactions makes me laugh, though.

2.  Luke goes to the Truncheon open house.  Jess gives Luke a copy of the book he wrote, with a check inside.  "You owe me nothing." "I owe you. Take it. If you rip it up, I'm just gonna send another." (The Real Paul Anka)

3.  Luke gives Rory his mother's pearls for her 21st birthday.  "It was my mother's. Liz can't wear it 'cause her neck's too fat, but your neck looks, you know, not fat. It was sitting around in my drawer, so I thought, 'hey, give it to Rory'. You know you're lucky 'cause Caesar's birthday is next month and I know he likes pearls, so . . ." "Thank you." (Twenty-One is the Loneliest Number)

4.  Liz gives Luke a pair of earrings she made and tells him to give them to his wife, or to Lorelai.  He gives them to Lorelai.  "Oh, hey, here." "Pretty." "Liz made them yesterday. She wanted you to have them." (Nag Hammadi)

5.  Lorelai runs into Luke coming out of le Chat Club.  "Wow, pot holders." "Yes." "Little kitty pot holders. They meow." "It's a present." "For someone you hate?" "It's Rachel's birthday, okay? And don't say anything, she doesn't want anybody to know. She hates birthdays." "Not as much as she's gonna hate these pot holders."  (P.S. I Lo...)

6.  Rory comes into Luke's for breakfast on her 16th birthday.  "Hey, wrong table." "Since when is there a right table?" "Since the coffee cake I baked for you and the stupid balloons I blew up are at that table, over there." "You blew up balloons for me?" "Yep." "Ah, Luke, you old softie." "I count to three, it's gone."  (Rory's Birthday Parties)

7.  After they start dating, Luke gives Lorelai a necklace to match the earrings Liz made.  "I think that'll match the earrings I got you before. If they don't, I'll take them back." "Definitely goes." "Oh, yeah, look at that. Perfect match." "Perfect match." (A Messenger, Nothing More)

8.  Lorelai gives Rory a computer for her 16th birthday.  "It's way too expensive." "I know, that's what I told the guy at the store." (Rory's Birthday Parties)

9.  Lorelai gives Emily a DVD player so she can have something to do while Richard is away on business trips.  "I picked up Singin’ in the Rain, Funny Girl, Easter Parade, An American in Paris, and as an added bonus, the new classic dance series – Urban Cowboy, Saturday Night Fever, Grease, Footloose, and Flashdance. Trust me, you’re gonna be cutting up your sweatshirts all weekend."  (Dear Emily and Richard)

10.  Richard gives Rory a gift after he and Emily return from their second honeymoon trip to Europe.  "Leaves of Grass in Greek. A hundred years old, some beautiful engravings." "Now I have to learn Greek."  Years later, we see a copy of Leaves of Grass by Richard's coffin in the Revival.  (So . . . Good Talk)

11.  Emily gets Richard a cigar humidor for his birthday.   "It belonged to a lieutenant in the army in World War I. Apparently, he kept it in his field office in France. There are carvings in the bottom that the dealer said could possibly be coded messages."  (That'll Do, Pig)

12.  Dean is building Rory a car.  "This is crazy. Why would you do this?" "I don't know. You didn't have one." "You're completely insane."  (Star-Crossed Lovers and Other Strangers)

13.  Dean gives Rory the bracelet he made her.  "Well, I bought the medallion and I just cut some leather straps and drilled a hole, and well, you like it?" "I -- it's amazing."

15.  Sookie gives Jackson a CCR t-shirt for their anniversary.  "Oh, Jackson, I love the shirt." "Isn't it great? It's an anniversary gift from Sookie." "Sweet, huh?" "These two kids." "I got to tell you, I was completely surprised. I figured, with the test run and everything, she'd be way too busy to remember." "Aw, What are you talking about, Sookie could never forget her mushroom man." "I'd love her to forget that nickname though." (Raincoats & Recipes)

16.  Luke brings flowers to the test run of the Dragonfly.  "Here, these are for you -- a little congratulations." (Raincoats & Recipes)

17.  Lorelai has to come up with a gift for Luke when she and Rory come back from backpacking across Europe.  "What are you talking about? We do not go to Europe and come back without bringing something for Luke. Here." "Jam." "Yes, fancy French jam." "Fruits de la Terre. Very impressive." "It's handmade by this woman in Paris who has the most amazing story." "Really?" "Yeah. Orphaned." "Uh huh." "And illiterate." "Okay." "Just had nothing in her life, you know, except this burning desire to be the world's greatest jamstress. And she's famous now and, uh, you know, she only makes three bottles of that stuff a year and that's one of 'em, and I brought it all the way across the, uh. . .I got it from Sookie's house." (Ballrooms & Biscotti)

18.  The girls give Richard their birthday gifts.  Rory had to pick Lorelai's out.  "I must say, I am a very spoiled man. Chuck Berry, and the complete history of the Peloponnesian War." "Well, sure, ‘cause a partial history would skip all the dirty stuff." "I especially like the way you wrapped the books in a bow tie. It’s very, very clever." (That'll Do, Pig)

19.  Gran is coming to visit and Emily is freaking out about having to pull all of her gifts out of storage.  "Mother, Grandma is a very old woman, I highly doubt that she’s going to remember everything she ever bought you." "She will remember down to the very last shrimp fork and do you know why?" "No. Do you guys know why?" Because she doesn’t just give you a present, she gives you a present and she tells you where to put it, how to use it, what it costs - for insurance purposes of course - and God forbid you should have a different opinion or you don’t think it works in the space or you just get tired of waking up every morning with those horrifying animals staring at you!" "She’s just upset." "Stop talking to the dogs!" (The Third Lorelai)

20.  Rory finds the perfect graduation gift for Lorelai while browsing the music shop with Jess, an album by the Go-Go's.  "This was her favorite group when she was my age, and it's signed by Belinda. This would be the perfect graduation present. I've been looking for something all week long, and I couldn't find anything and now I have Belinda." (Lorelai's Graduation Day)

21.  Richard and Emily bring back marzipan from their trip to Europe.  "Marzipan is not candy. It is a unique substance unto itself, like Velveeta or plutonium."  (The Nanny and the Professor)

23.  Logan gives Rory a rather cryptic gift.  "What? Rocket gum. It could be a thing." "There was no gum in it." "It doesn't have a button you can push?" "No, nothing like that. It's just a model rocket. I mean, what could that mean? Who gives someone a rocket?" (The Long Morrow)

25.  April sneaks over to see Luke, they exchange their Christmas gifts to each other.  "How's that?" "Good. It really livens up your apartment." "It's a very lively mask. Thanks again, April. I love it. I really do." "It's based on my real face you know." "Oh, yeah?" "Oh I mean not the outside, but the inside. I made it in art class, and I had to lie still with straws up my nose while a partner put plaster strips on my face." "Straws up your nose." "I suffer for my art." .....  "Wow! A rock polisher! Thanks so much." "You like it?" "It's the perfect present." "Well you hinted at it pretty hard, so I figured it might be the right thing." (Santa's Secret Stuff)

26.  Luke finds out Richard had a heart attack so he shows up at the hospital to see if there's anything he can do.  After Emily sends him on a million errands, he comes back with food for everyone.  "Okay so look, I got a couple of burgers, assortment of sandwiches. There's some salads in case all of a sudden you want to eat some salad." "Mm hmm." "All right, couple pieces of pie, half a dozen chocolate-chip cookies, and, of course, there is the fish bag." "You brought a fish bag?" "Well I heard somebody talking about fish. There's two fillets, okay, Lobster roll, fish tacos, two Tuna-fish sandwiches, some fried fish, and fish sticks." (I'd Rather Be in Philadelphia)

28.  Tobin and Michel try to out-do each other giving Lorelai gifts after the Inn burns down.  "Tobin, I love candles." "And it’s scented, cappuccino." .... "Michel, it’s beautiful." "Yes, well, I wanted it to be special, you know. Not just some knick-knack you could pick up at the supermarket or the car wash." .... "That is the jacket that Joe Strummer wore during the 1979 Pearl Harbor tour." "No." "Yes!" .... "I have to run an errand.  Just be here when I get back." (Happy Birthday Baby)

30.  Rory gives Richard and Emily the gifts she and Lorelai picked out for them while in Europe.  "Oh my, it's lovely, Rory, really. Just beautiful." "It was between this and the Arc de Triumphe, but Mom said that the Eiffel Tower was fancier." .... "We found this amazing pipe store in Copenhagen and the man there can carve anything you want. His family's been doing it for over a hundred and fifty years. And they had a whole set of Alice in Wonderland pipes that Mom wanted to get, but they were way too expensive so we just got the Queen of Hearts." "Well, I love it." "Yes, and you're gonna love it outside on the patio."  (Ballrooms & Biscotti)

31.  Richard and Emily come to Rory's Stars Hollow birthday party, Richard gives Rory a check.  "For Fez." "But Grandpa, you already took care of that." "Fez is a very large city." (Rory's Birthday Parties)

32.  Emily finally comes clean and admits what all the running around looking at properties in Stars Hollow was about.  "Now, before you get your nose out of joint and accuse me of interfering, hear me out. I think your house is very nice. I know you've put a lot of work into it. But, Lorelai, it's too small for the two of you, especially when you have children, if you have children, I mean. A man needs his own space and room, and Luke does not have that at your house. Also, I know you've always wanted horses, so I thought something with a little property might be nice. Now, I know it's not actually in Stars Hollow, but it's right on the border. It's only an extra ten minutes to the inn and an extra five minutes to the diner. Plus I did a little nosing around, and I heard that if you grease the palm of the Stars Hollow zoning commissioner, a man named Taylor Doose, you can get him to change property lines, so we can give you a Stars Hollow address if it's really important to you."  (Driving Miss Gilmore)

33.  Emily asks Lorelai to go shopping with her to pick out something for Rory's birthday.  "Here." "Oh, now that's really good." "Really?" "Absolutely." "Doesn't look like something you could buy at a car wash?" "Totally. That's half the charm."  (Rory's Birthday Parties)

34.  Emily wants to redecorate a room for Rory at the Gilmore mansion and calls to find out Rory's favorite things.  They settle on the color blue, and sunflowers, but Rory can't decide between N'Sync or 98 Degrees.  "What about that other group? The Backside Boys?" (Emily in Wonderland)

35.  Chris sends Lorelai a gift basket when she graduates from business school.  A $25 savings bond, a youth hostel card, a practical manual for job hunters, a DVD of The Graduate, The Portable Nietzsche, an application to join the Armed Forces, and a pearl necklace.  "I think you're awesome, Lor. With everything you do and raising Rory the way you did, you're superwoman." "Wow." "Have a great day. I wish I could be there. Take lots of pictures for me." "Ugh, the camera, I forgot the camera." "Look in the basket."  (Lorelai's Graduation Day)

38.  Lorelai gives Luke the blue hat after he drives her to the hospital to see Richard.  "What’s this for?" "Just thank you, Christmas, whatever." "Christmas isn’t for two weeks." "Do we really have to do this again?" (Forgiveness & Stuff)

40.  Mrs. Kim wants Lane to get something ready to send to Dave in California.  Lane calls Rory in a panic.  "It's the jug." "What jug?" "The jug. The big jug. The monumental jug." "What jug?" "Remember when I was a kid, my mother showed me the special jug that's been passed down in my family for years and years in a long-standing Kim tradition that she is personally going to present to the boy I'm going to wed?" "Oh, my G-d. The marriage jug?" "The marriage jug."

• Love 1

5 - Hilarious scene (truly, reoowwwrr "they meow" makes me laugh so hard I can't even tell you) but why in the world was Luke THAT clueless?

20 - I always wonder who found the album and what they did with it, anyone else?

25 - Any time I can vote out something from this time period of the show, Imma do it.

6.  Rory comes into Luke's for breakfast on her 16th birthday.  "Hey, wrong table." "Since when is there a right table?" "Since the coffee cake I baked for you and the stupid balloons I blew up are at that table, over there." "You blew up balloons for me?" "Yep." "Ah, Luke, you old softie." "I count to three, it's gone."  (Rory's Birthday Parties)

28.  Tobin and Michel try to out-do each other giving Lorelai gifts after the Inn burns down.  "Tobin, I love candles." "And it’s scented, cappuccino." .... "Michel, it’s beautiful." "Yes, well, I wanted it to be special, you know. Not just some knick-knack you could pick up at the supermarket or the car wash." .... "That is the jacket that Joe Strummer wore during the 1979 Pearl Harbor tour." "No." "Yes!" .... "I have to run an errand.  Just be here when I get back." (Happy Birthday Baby)

1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

(because I love marzipan plus they acted so stupid about it)

Ha!  I don't know that I've ever tried it, but I know I always think it can't taste THAT horrible.  Something can be tasteless or bland without being worthy of all that foolishness.  Rory's expression when she tries to keep Lorelai from taking her piece is pretty funny, though.

1 hour ago, Taryn74 said:

I don't know that I've ever tried it, but I know I always think it can't taste THAT horrible.

It tastes like almonds.  Not strong, not bland, but almonds. 

Not vinegar or bleach or acid which is how they acted.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Not vinegar or bleach or acid which is how they acted.

Have you ever seen the video of the day show host who tried to make artichoke dip for the holidays and had her coworkers taste it?

Out:

12 - I don't know about you guys, but if my 16 yo daughter's boyfriend of three months was building her a car, there would be some red flags going up.

21 - Amusing enough scene, but their reaction was pretty ridiculous.

23 - Eh.

Still voting against three!

28 - I cannot STAND Tobin and am so glad we didn't have to put up with him for more than a couple of episodes.  That jacket was a completely inappropriate gift to give your boss, too.

35 - Aw, back before Chris was turned into a cartoonish villain who had no idea who Lorelai was or what made her tick.

40 - Funny scene but I never really believed Mrs. Kim would lie to Lane about something when she was a child just to get her to stop crying, or would say that Lane's crying gave her a headache.  Just seemed off.

Let's vote against three one more time!

6 because it's sweet but there are better ones.

8 because it's kind of what you'd expect  a studious 16 year old to get on a milestone birthday.

34 just because.

PS I agree about Tobin. Hated him.

• Love 1

3, 6, 8

Tobin should live on a special island with Rune, Liz, and TJ. A sound proof island with no means of escape and no way to communicate with the outside world.

Glad to see we're all on the same page re: Tobin! For some reason I was thinking he was more well-liked. Glad I was wrong, ha!

Out:

6 - Aww. One of my favorite Lorelai-less Rory/Luke scenes. These are the things that show me the kind of person Luke Danes really is, and I love him for it.

8 - I agree that it wasn't that unexpected of a gift and the scene was rather 'meh' as well.

34 - The Backside Boys will never not make me laugh.

I think we can just vote against two now!

Out:  

11 - Lovely gift and nice enough scene, but not terribly memorable and it is tainted by Gran (as usual) one-upping Emily later.

15 - Amusing in that Sookie actually did forget about her anniversary until Lorelai reminded her (and hey, I've been there done that - I empathize) but again not a terribly memorable scene.

Voting against two!

17 - It hurts me that he was so pleased they got him something and then it turned out to be a fake gift.  😕

19 - Because as amusing as her scenes were, Gran really was the worst.

Still voting against two!

13.  Dean gives Rory the bracelet he made her.  "Well, I bought the medallion and I just cut some leather straps and drilled a hole, and well, you like it?" "I -- it's amazing." (Rory's Birthday Parties)

2 - Awesome scene, but not really a "gift" as has been pointed out.

30 - meh.

Still voting against two!

13.  Dean gives Rory the bracelet he made her.  "Well, I bought the medallion and I just cut some leather straps and drilled a hole, and well, you like it?" "I -- it's amazing." (Rory's Birthday Parties)