Type keyword(s) to search

Gilmore Girls Elimination Game

• Start Topic

21 out.

Favorite Literary References

1.  Rory's graduation speech.  "I live in two worlds. One is a world of books. I've been a resident of Faulkner's Yoknapatawpha County, hunted the white whale aboard the Pequod, fought alongside Napoleon, sailed a raft with Huck and Jim, committed absurdities with Ignatius J. Reilly, rode a sad train with Anna Karenina, and strolled down Swann's Way.  It's a rewarding world."

2.  Jess returns Rory's book that he borrowed (without her knowledge) after they meet for the first time.  "I thought you said you didn't read much." "Well, what is much? Goodnight, Rory." "Goodnight, Dodger." "Dodger?" "Figure it out." " .... Oliver Twist."

6.  Paris and Jess both crash Rory's alone night, they end up eating a ton of food and discussing books and other literary works all night.  "A tragic waste of paper." "I can’t believe you just said that." "Well, it’s true, the Beat's writing was completely self-indulgent. I have one word for Jack Kerouac – edit." "It was not self-indulgent. The Beats believed in shocking people, stirring things up." "They believed in drugs, booze, and petty crime."

12.  Richard gives Rory a gift after he and Emily return from their second honeymoon trip to Europe.  "Leaves of Grass in Greek. A hundred years old, some beautiful engravings." "Now I have to learn Greek."  Years later, we see a copy of Leaves of Grass by Richard's coffin in the Revival.

24.  After finding the letter where Gran begged Richard to marry Pennilyn Lott instead of her, Emily shirks her funeral planning duties and lounges around with a cigarette and a drink, reading The Crimson Petal and the White.  "Lorelai, here, I just finished reading, and I think you'll really like it. It's about this prostitute named Sugar in Victorian England. She starts rising through the ranks of society, and she meets these really vivid characters!" "Okay, sure, you don't have to tell me the whole story now." "I'm not giving anything away. That's all on the back cover."

Interesting, when we started this game I just assumed 1 would be our winner! I do love when you guys surprise me. 😉

2.  Jess returns Rory's book that he borrowed (without her knowledge) after they meet for the first time.  "I thought you said you didn't read much." "Well, what is much? Goodnight, Rory." "Goodnight, Dodger." "Dodger?" "Figure it out." " .... Oliver Twist."

6.  Paris and Jess both crash Rory's alone night, they end up eating a ton of food and discussing books and other literary works all night.  "A tragic waste of paper." "I can’t believe you just said that." "Well, it’s true, the Beat's writing was completely self-indulgent. I have one word for Jack Kerouac – edit." "It was not self-indulgent. The Beats believed in shocking people, stirring things up." "They believed in drugs, booze, and petty crime."

12.  Richard gives Rory a gift after he and Emily return from their second honeymoon trip to Europe.  "Leaves of Grass in Greek. A hundred years old, some beautiful engravings." "Now I have to learn Greek."  Years later, we see a copy of Leaves of Grass by Richard's coffin in the Revival.

24.  After finding the letter where Gran begged Richard to marry Pennilyn Lott instead of her, Emily shirks her funeral planning duties and lounges around with a cigarette and a drink, reading The Crimson Petal and the White.  "Lorelai, here, I just finished reading, and I think you'll really like it. It's about this prostitute named Sugar in Victorian England. She starts rising through the ranks of society, and she meets these really vivid characters!" "Okay, sure, you don't have to tell me the whole story now." "I'm not giving anything away. That's all on the back cover."

Edited by Taryn74
5 minutes ago, lulu1960 said:

I love 24 because who doesn't love an unhinged Emily in a bathrobe?

I love the way Emily reassures Lorelai she's not giving too much of the storyline away, as though that is all Lorelai could possibly be worried about right now.  Heh.

Emily is my favorite character on the show and I love this moment, but I feel the actual literary reference is really outshined by her entire behavior in that scene. So that's really my only reason for voting it out. 

I actually really wanted 3 (Robert's scene) or 15 (Sylvia Plath) to win. So I'm kind of cool with any of the remaining. 

Edited by ghoulina
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:

I like that part of #1, but I hate that Rory turned the speech into her own personal thing.

Heh. That used to bug me, too, until I realized that she keeps speaking as the scene ends and it sounds like she's turning it into more of a "normal" graduation type speech.  In light of that, it's not so bad.

• Love 1

As much as I hate to, I'll vote out 2 because I love the other Jess moment more. Although 2 is the first glimpse we get of Literary!Jess. Damn it. But I can't let go of Drunk!Emily just yet. Arrrgh. At least we're down to the top three!

Okay, as much as I do love 24, it has been receiving votes up until this point and 12 really has not, plus the "literary reference" in 24 is totally secondary to the scene as a whole, so I'm gonna give it the boot this time.

Time to pick our winner!!  I must say, I am utterly and completely thrilled that one of my all-time favorite Jess scenes has made it to the top of the list of this game! /inner squeal

2 hours ago, ghoulina said:

As sweet as 12 is, I'm going with 6 for the win. Not only did I love the Paris-Jess dynamic; but Paris voiced an unpopular opinion I've had since my late teens. 

I was thinking of going with 12 to win but when you put it that way..you are so right, as is Paris. Jane Austen >Jack Keroauc. It's not even close. 

6 to win.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, ghoulina said:

Not only did I love the Paris-Jess dynamic

It was really great, wasn't it?  And I think it showed us something important about Jess.  So many fans assumed Jess was only nice to Rory because he had a thing for her from the beginning, but this scene IMO proves otherwise.  He started out treating Paris pretty much the same way he treated Rory when they first met, and it's because Paris looked at him like an equal and not like something she just scraped off the bottom of her shoe.  And you can't even argue he was only doing that to stay on Rory's good side, because if that was the case he would have been bending over backwards to get along better with Lorelai.  

No, Jess treated people well who deserved to be treated well by him.  Plain and simple.

• Love 2

I am absolutely tickled and thrilled to announce the winner of our Favorite Literary References game --

Paris and Jess both crash Rory's alone night, they end up eating a ton of food and discussing books and other literary works all night.  "A tragic waste of paper." "I can’t believe you just said that." "Well, it’s true, the Beat's writing was completely self-indulgent. I have one word for Jack Kerouac – edit." "It was not self-indulgent. The Beats believed in shocking people, stirring things up." "They believed in drugs, booze, and petty crime."

• Love 1

So, what's next?  Here's what I still have jotted down for ideas -

Fibs/white lies

Drinking/drunk scenes

Parties/celebrations

One-liners

Reverse eps (most hated)

Favorite couple scenes

Favorite gifts/gift-giving scenes

Okay I was leaning toward favorite gifts or gift-giving scenes myself, so let's do that!

I'm going to start us off with one that's kind of underrated, mostly because I think it's a kind of sweet scene and I don't want to forget to include it.

Favorite Scenes Involving Gifts

1.  Rory wants Dean and Lindsey to pick out a wedding gift for her to order for them.  "I'd recommend the mixing bowls, those are really nice. Or a knife set and a sharpener. Sharpening's very important. I learned that from Sookie. If you leave 'em too long, it's too late. Respect your knives." (Those Are Strings, Pinocchio)

Luke buys a choice of cat-themed items for Rachel's birthday.

Luke bakes Rory a coffee cake for her birthday.

Luke gives Lorelai the necklace that matches the earrings from Liz.

Lorelai gives Rory CD player for her 16th birthday.

Lorelai gives her mother a DVD player.

Richard gives Rory Leaves of Grass in Greek.

Emily gives Richard a humidor for his birthday.

Richard gives Lorelai $75,000 for her birthday.

Dean gives Rory a car.

Dean gives Rory a handmade bracelet.

Luke gives Rachel a camera bag albeit purchased by Lorelai.

Sookie bought Jackson the CCR tee shirt for their anniversary. R&R

Luke brings Lorelai flowers to the test run of the Dragonfly

Lorelai brings Luke fake jam when she returns from Europe

Lorelai and Rory give Richard Chuck Berry records (CDs?) for his birthday

Rory buys Lorelai an autographed Go-Gos album, but leaves it on the bus.

Richard and Emily give the girls marzipan from their trip.

Emily gives Rory all new furniture for her college dorm.

Edited by chitowngirl

Logan gives Rory a rocket ship.

Logan gives Rory a Birken Bag.

Luke gives April a rock polisher.

Luke gives Lorelai et al boxes of food at the hospital.

Christopher gives Lorelai and Rory new Christmas stockings.

April gives Luke a mask for Christmas.

Tobin gives Lorelai a Joe Strummer jacket.

Michel gives Lorelai a journal.

Michel gives Lorelai a smog globe.

Michel gives Sookie “He’s Just Not That Into You”.

2 minutes ago, lulu1960 said:

It was a computer wasn't it?

Could be.  I remember it was in a box with a pink picture.

-Richard gives Rory an envelope of money in Rory's Birthday Parties "For Fez" "But Grandpa you already took care of Fez" "Fez is a very large place" (or something like that)

-Emily shows Lorelai photos of the house that she wants to buy her as a wedding present for her marriage to Luke

-Emily asks for Lorelai's help picking out a birthday present for Rory and settles on a plastic bracelet that lights up

-(Not sure if this counts, but..) Emily decorates a bedroom in the elder Gilmore's house for Rory and fills it with sunflowers and boy band posters

-Chris sends Lorelai a basket when she graduates from college full of gag gifts and a real pearl necklace 

-Lorelai receives an ice cream maker as a gift for her canceled wedding to Max

-Logan sends Rory a coffee cart to follow her around when he's trying to win her back

I can't believe how many gift giving scenes there are!

I can't believe how many gift giving scenes there are!

Indeed!  We're going to be chipping away at this one for a while! LOL. Start out voting against three.

1.  Rory wants Dean and Lindsey to pick out a wedding gift for her to order for them.  "I'd recommend the mixing bowls, those are really nice. Or a knife set and a sharpener. Sharpening's very important. I learned that from Sookie. If you leave 'em too long, it's too late. Respect your knives." (Those Are Strings, Pinocchio)

2.  Luke goes to the Truncheon open house.  Jess gives Luke a copy of the book he wrote, with a check inside.  "You owe me nothing." "I owe you. Take it. If you rip it up, I'm just gonna send another." (The Real Paul Anka)

3.  Luke gives Rory his mother's pearls for her 21st birthday.  "It was my mother's. Liz can't wear it 'cause her neck's too fat, but your neck looks, you know, not fat. It was sitting around in my drawer, so I thought, 'hey, give it to Rory'. You know you're lucky 'cause Caesar's birthday is next month and I know he likes pearls, so . . ." "Thank you." (Twenty-One is the Loneliest Number)

4.  Liz gives Luke a pair of earrings she made and tells him to give them to his wife, or to Lorelai.  He gives them to Lorelai.  "Oh, hey, here." "Pretty." "Liz made them yesterday. She wanted you to have them." (Nag Hammadi)

5.  Lorelai runs into Luke coming out of le Chat Club.  "Wow, pot holders." "Yes." "Little kitty pot holders. They meow." "It's a present." "For someone you hate?" "It's Rachel's birthday, okay? And don't say anything, she doesn't want anybody to know. She hates birthdays." "Not as much as she's gonna hate these pot holders."  (P.S. I Lo...)

6.  Rory comes into Luke's for breakfast on her 16th birthday.  "Hey, wrong table." "Since when is there a right table?" "Since the coffee cake I baked for you and the stupid balloons I blew up are at that table, over there." "You blew up balloons for me?" "Yep." "Oh, Luke, you old softie." "I count to three, it's gone."  (Rory's Birthday Parties)

7.  After they start dating, Luke gives Lorelai a necklace to match the earrings Liz made.  "I think that'll match the earrings I got you before. If they don't, I'll take them back." "Definitely goes." "Oh, yeah, look at that. Perfect match." "Perfect match." (A Messenger, Nothing More)

8.  Lorelai gives Rory a computer for her 16th birthday.  "It's way too expensive." "I know, that's what I told the guy at the store." (Rory's Birthday Parties)

9.  Lorelai gives Emily a DVD player so she can have something to do while Richard is away on business trips.  "I picked up Singin’ in the Rain, Funny Girl, Easter Parade, An American in Paris, and as an added bonus, the new classic dance series – Urban Cowboy, Saturday Night Fever, Grease, Footloose, and Flashdance. Trust me, you’re gonna be cutting up your sweatshirts all weekend."  (Dear Emily and Richard)

10.  Richard gives Rory a gift after he and Emily return from their second honeymoon trip to Europe.  "Leaves of Grass in Greek. A hundred years old, some beautiful engravings." "Now I have to learn Greek."  Years later, we see a copy of Leaves of Grass by Richard's coffin in the Revival.  (So . . . Good Talk)

11.  Emily gets Richard a cigar humidor for his birthday.   "It belonged to a lieutenant in the army in World War I. Apparently, he kept it in his field office in France. There are carvings in the bottom that the dealer said could possibly be coded messages."  (That'll Do, Pig)

12.  Dean is building Rory a car.  "This is crazy. Why would you do this?" "I don't know. You didn't have one." "You're completely insane."  (Star-Crossed Lovers and Other Strangers)

13.  Dean gives Rory the bracelet he made her.  "Well, I bought the medallion and I just cut some leather straps and drilled a hole, and well, you like it?" "I -- it's amazing."

14.  Lorelai shows Luke the gifts she picked out for him to give Rachel for her birthday.  "Okay, last week we were talking about Meryl Streep and the whole accent thing and Rachel said that she loved Out of Africa but she'd never read the book, remember?" "Nope." "Okay, so I was like, 'Are you crazy? Isak Dinesen is amazing, I love her,' which is kind of crap because I'd never read the book either, but Rory told me it was amazing, so I felt pretty confident in my recommendation of . . . Out of Africa." "You bought her a book?" "No, you bought her a book, to be put in her brand new camera bag." "She's got a camera bag." "It's nylon." "So?" "This one's leather. Beautiful leather. Feel it, smell it." "I'm not gonna smell that bag." "Fine, don't smell it, but trust me, she's gonna love it."  (P.S. I Lo...)

15.  Sookie gives Jackson a CCR t-shirt for their anniversary.  "Oh, Jackson, I love the shirt." "Isn't it great? It's an anniversary gift from Sookie." "Sweet, huh?" "These two kids." "I got to tell you, I was completely surprised. I figured, with the test run and everything, she'd be way too busy to remember." "Aw, What are you talking about, Sookie could never forget her mushroom man." "I'd love her to forget that nickname though." (Raincoats & Recipes)

16.  Luke brings flowers to the test run of the Dragonfly.  "Here, these are for you -- a little congratulations." (Raincoats & Recipes)

17.  Lorelai has to come up with a gift for Luke when she and Rory come back from backpacking across Europe.  "What are you talking about? We do not go to Europe and come back without bringing something for Luke. Here." "Jam." "Yes, fancy French jam." "Fruits de la Terre. Very impressive." "It's handmade by this woman in Paris who has the most amazing story." "Really?" "Yeah. Orphaned." "Uh huh." "And illiterate." "Okay." "Just had nothing in her life, you know, except this burning desire to be the world's greatest jamstress. And she's famous now and, uh, you know, she only makes three bottles of that stuff a year and that's one of 'em, and I brought it all the way across the, uh. . .I got it from Sookie's house." (Ballrooms & Biscotti)

18.  The girls give Richard their birthday gifts.  Rory had to pick Lorelai's out.  "I must say, I am a very spoiled man. Chuck Berry, and the complete history of the Peloponnesian War." "Well, sure, ‘cause a partial history would skip all the dirty stuff." "I especially like the way you wrapped the books in a bow tie. It’s very, very clever." (That'll Do, Pig)

19.  Gran is coming to visit and Emily is freaking out about having to pull all of her gifts out of storage.  "Mother, Grandma is a very old woman, I highly doubt that she’s going to remember everything she ever bought you." "She will remember down to the very last shrimp fork and do you know why?" "No. Do you guys know why?" Because she doesn’t just give you a present, she gives you a present and she tells you where to put it, how to use it, what it costs - for insurance purposes of course - and God forbid you should have a different opinion or you don’t think it works in the space or you just get tired of waking up every morning with those horrifying animals staring at you!" "She’s just upset." "Stop talking to the dogs!" (The Third Lorelai)

20.  Rory finds the perfect graduation gift for Lorelai while browsing the music shop with Jess, an album by the Go-Go's.  "This was her favorite group when she was my age, and it's signed by Belinda. This would be the perfect graduation present. I've been looking for something all week long, and I couldn't find anything and now I have Belinda." (Lorelai's Graduation Day)

21.  Richard and Emily bring back marzipan from their trip to Europe.  "Marzipan is not candy. It is a unique substance unto itself, like Velveeta or plutonium."  (The Nanny and the Professor)

22.  Emily sneaks into Rory's dorm room and buys her all new furniture.  "I came home and all the normal furniture was gone and all this stuff was in here." "What did your roommates say?" "Tanna still doesn't know she's at Yale, Paris saw it and said nothing." "Oh, so that's coming." "Janet's out jogging so I don't know what she thinks, but I have to hope she's pleased 'cause that girl's in shape and can kick my butt."  (The Hobbit, the Sofa, and Digger Stiles)

23.  Logan gives Rory a rather cryptic gift.  "What? Rocket gum. It could be a thing." "There was no gum in it." "It doesn't have a button you can push?" "No, nothing like that. It's just a model rocket. I mean, what could that mean? Who gives someone a rocket?" (The Long Morrow)

24.  Logan gives Rory a Birkin bag.  "I went to school with a guy named Birkin." "I don't think this is the same Birkin."  (Welcome to the Dollhouse)

25.  April sneaks over to see Luke, they exchange their Christmas gifts to each other.  "How's that?" "Good. It really livens up your apartment." "It's a very lively mask. Thanks again, April. I love it. I really do." "It's based on my real face you know." "Oh, yeah?" "Oh I mean not the outside, but the inside. I made it in art class, and I had to lie still with straws up my nose while a partner put plaster strips on my face." "Straws up your nose." "I suffer for my art." .....  "Wow! A rock polisher! Thanks so much." "You like it?" "It's the perfect present." "Well you hinted at it pretty hard, so I figured it might be the right thing." (Santa's Secret Stuff)

26.  Luke finds out Richard had a heart attack so he shows up at the hospital to see if there's anything he can do.  After Emily sends him on a million errands, he comes back with food for everyone.  "Okay so look, I got a couple of burgers, assortment of sandwiches. There's some salads in case all of a sudden you want to eat some salad." "Mm hmm." "All right, couple pieces of pie, half a dozen chocolate-chip cookies, and, of course, there is the fish bag." "You brought a fish bag?" "Well I heard somebody talking about fish. There's two fillets, okay, Lobster roll, fish tacos, two Tuna-fish sandwiches, some fried fish, and fish sticks." (I'd Rather Be in Philadelphia)

27.  Christopher tries to make new Christmas traditions with Lorelai and Rory.  "I got one for each of us." "But we have stockings already." "I mean, they're a little singed from the fire, but they're still usable." "But not stockings like these, huh?" "That's true."  (Santa's Secret Stuff)

28.  Tobin and Michel try to out-do each other giving Lorelai gifts after the Inn burns down.  "Tobin, I love candles." "And it’s scented, cappuccino." .... "Michel, it’s beautiful." "Yes, well, I wanted it to be special, you know. Not just some knick-knack you could pick up at the supermarket or the car wash." .... "That is the jacket that Joe Strummer wore during the 1979 Pearl Harbor tour." "No." "Yes!" .... "I have to run an errand.  Just be here when I get back." (Happy Birthday Baby_

29.  Michel comes back from California and brings Sookie and Lorelai gifts.  "It's a smog globe. They are so funny in California." "Well, what do you know, He's Just Not That Into You." "I heard it's a fabulous book, and so true." (Pulp Friction)

30.  Rory gives Richard and Emily the gifts she and Lorelai picked out for them while in Europe.  "Oh my, it's lovely, Rory, really. Just beautiful." "It was between this and the Arc de Triumphe, but Mom said that the Eiffel Tower was fancier." .... "We found this amazing pipe store in Copenhagen and the man there can carve anything you want. His family's been doing it for over a hundred and fifty years. And they had a whole set of Alice in Wonderland pipes that Mom wanted to get, but they were way too expensive so we just got the Queen of Hearts." "Well, I love it." "Yes, and you're gonna love it outside on the patio."  (Ballrooms & Biscotti)

31.  Richard and Emily come to Rory's Stars Hollow birthday party, Richard gives Rory a check.  "For Fez." "But Grandpa, you already took care of that." "Fez is a very large city." (Rory's Birthday Parties)

32.  Emily finally comes clean and admits what all the running around looking at properties in Stars Hollow was about.  "Now, before you get your nose out of joint and accuse me of interfering, hear me out. I think your house is very nice. I know you've put a lot of work into it. But, Lorelai, it's too small for the two of you, especially when you have children, if you have children, I mean. A man needs his own space and room, and Luke does not have that at your house. Also, I know you've always wanted horses, so I thought something with a little property might be nice. Now, I know it's not actually in Stars Hollow, but it's right on the border. It's only an extra ten minutes to the inn and an extra five minutes to the diner. Plus I did a little nosing around, and I heard that if you grease the palm of the Stars Hollow zoning commissioner, a man named Taylor Doose, you can get him to change property lines, so we can give you a Stars Hollow address if it's really important to you."  (Driving Miss Gilmore)

33.  Emily asks Lorelai to go shopping with her to pick out something for Rory's birthday.  "Here." "Oh, now that's really good." "Really?" "Absolutely." "Doesn't look like something you could buy at a car wash?" "Totally. That's half the charm."  (Rory's Birthday Parties)

34.  Emily wants to redecorate a room for Rory at the Gilmore mansion and calls to find out Rory's favorite things.  They settle on the color blue, and sunflowers, but Rory can't decide between N'Sync or 98 Degrees.  "What about that other group? The Backside Boys?" (Emily in Wonderland)

35.  Chris sends Lorelai a gift basket when she graduates from business school.  A $25 savings bond, a youth hostel card, a practical manual for job hunters, a DVD of The Graduate, The Portable Nietzsche, an application to join the Armed Forces, and a pearl necklace.  "I think you're awesome, Lor. With everything you do and raising Rory the way you did, you're superwoman." "Wow." "Have a great day. I wish I could be there. Take lots of pictures for me." "Ugh, the camera, I forgot the camera." "Look in the basket."  (Lorelai's Graduation Day)

36.  A wedding gift shows up weeks after Lorelai and Max's cancelled wedding.  "An ice cream maker!" "A Musso Lussino 480!" "Somebody sent me a fascist ice cream maker?"  (Run Away, Little Boy)

37.  Logan sends Rory a series of gifts trying to win her back after their fight when Jess comes to town.  "You're Rory Gilmore?" "Yes." "Someone pointed you out to me. This is for you." "What is?" "The coffee cart." "For me?" "Courtesy of Logan Huntzberger." "Oh, I see. Well, I don't want any coffee right now." "Thanks anyway, and sorry you wasted your time, Ben." "No problem." "What are you doing?" "I'm hired for the day." (Just Like Gwen & Gavin)

38.  Lorelai gives Luke the blue hat after he drives her to the hospital to see Richard.  "What’s this for?" "Just thank you, Christmas, whatever." "Christmas isn’t for two weeks." "Do we really have to do this again?" (Forgiveness & Stuff)

39.  Emily and Richard bring back a gift from Martha's Vineyard.  "Scone mix, wow." "This new little place opened right down the road from our house and they make these wonderful scones, and that is their mix so you can make them right in your own kitchen." "Well, thanks, Mom. I will put this right on the counter and stare at it for many years to come." "You’re not going to make them?" "Oh, I’m not really much of a baker." "But the instructions are right there on the back." "Yeah, I know, but still." "Still what? Those are good scones." "Hey, maybe I’ll give this to Sookie and she’ll bake them." "I don’t understand why you simply can’t follow those directions and make the scones. Rory would love those scones." "Okay, I promise one way or another, the scones will get eaten."

40.  Mrs. Kim wants Lane to get something ready to send to Dave in California.  Lane calls Rory in a panic.  "It's the jug." "What jug?" "The jug. The big jug. The monumental jug." "What jug?" "Remember when I was a kid, my mother showed me the special jug that's been passed down in my family for years and years in a long-standing Kim tradition that she is personally going to present to the boy I'm going to wed?" "Oh, my G-d. The marriage jug?" "The marriage jug."

Edited by Taryn74

24 - I don't believe for a moment the daughter of Lorelai Gilmore had never even heard of a Birkin bag.

27 - The show went out of its way to make Chris completely tone-deaf to everything about the girls and what makes them tick once he and Lorelai actually got together, and that pisses me off.

36 - I understand Lorelai needing closure, but take the stupid ice cream maker to Goodwill and stop acting like such a narcissistic baby about it.  Good grief.

Still voting against three!

2.  Luke goes to the Truncheon open house.  Jess gives Luke a copy of the book he wrote, with a check inside.  "You owe me nothing." "I owe you. Take it. If you rip it up, I'm just gonna send another." (The Real Paul Anka)

3.  Luke gives Rory his mother's pearls for her 21st birthday.  "It was my mother's. Liz can't wear it 'cause her neck's too fat, but your neck looks, you know, not fat. It was sitting around in my drawer, so I thought, 'hey, give it to Rory'. You know you're lucky 'cause Caesar's birthday is next month and I know he likes pearls, so . . ." "Thank you." (Twenty-One is the Loneliest Number)

4.  Liz gives Luke a pair of earrings she made and tells him to give them to his wife, or to Lorelai.  He gives them to Lorelai.  "Oh, hey, here." "Pretty." "Liz made them yesterday. She wanted you to have them." (Nag Hammadi)

5.  Lorelai runs into Luke coming out of le Chat Club.  "Wow, pot holders." "Yes." "Little kitty pot holders. They meow." "It's a present." "For someone you hate?" "It's Rachel's birthday, okay? And don't say anything, she doesn't want anybody to know. She hates birthdays." "Not as much as she's gonna hate these pot holders."  (P.S. I Lo...)

6.  Rory comes into Luke's for breakfast on her 16th birthday.  "Hey, wrong table." "Since when is there a right table?" "Since the coffee cake I baked for you and the stupid balloons I blew up are at that table, over there." "You blew up balloons for me?" "Yep." "Oh, Luke, you old softie." "I count to three, it's gone."  (Rory's Birthday Parties)

7.  After they start dating, Luke gives Lorelai a necklace to match the earrings Liz made.  "I think that'll match the earrings I got you before. If they don't, I'll take them back." "Definitely goes." "Oh, yeah, look at that. Perfect match." "Perfect match." (A Messenger, Nothing More)

8.  Lorelai gives Rory a computer for her 16th birthday.  "It's way too expensive." "I know, that's what I told the guy at the store." (Rory's Birthday Parties)

9.  Lorelai gives Emily a DVD player so she can have something to do while Richard is away on business trips.  "I picked up Singin’ in the Rain, Funny Girl, Easter Parade, An American in Paris, and as an added bonus, the new classic dance series – Urban Cowboy, Saturday Night Fever, Grease, Footloose, and Flashdance. Trust me, you’re gonna be cutting up your sweatshirts all weekend."  (Dear Emily and Richard)

10.  Richard gives Rory a gift after he and Emily return from their second honeymoon trip to Europe.  "Leaves of Grass in Greek. A hundred years old, some beautiful engravings." "Now I have to learn Greek."  Years later, we see a copy of Leaves of Grass by Richard's coffin in the Revival.  (So . . . Good Talk)

11.  Emily gets Richard a cigar humidor for his birthday.   "It belonged to a lieutenant in the army in World War I. Apparently, he kept it in his field office in France. There are carvings in the bottom that the dealer said could possibly be coded messages."  (That'll Do, Pig)

12.  Dean is building Rory a car.  "This is crazy. Why would you do this?" "I don't know. You didn't have one." "You're completely insane."  (Star-Crossed Lovers and Other Strangers)

13.  Dean gives Rory the bracelet he made her.  "Well, I bought the medallion and I just cut some leather straps and drilled a hole, and well, you like it?" "I -- it's amazing."

14.  Lorelai shows Luke the gifts she picked out for him to give Rachel for her birthday.  "Okay, last week we were talking about Meryl Streep and the whole accent thing and Rachel said that she loved Out of Africa but she'd never read the book, remember?" "Nope." "Okay, so I was like, 'Are you crazy? Isak Dinesen is amazing, I love her,' which is kind of crap because I'd never read the book either, but Rory told me it was amazing, so I felt pretty confident in my recommendation of . . . Out of Africa." "You bought her a book?" "No, you bought her a book, to be put in her brand new camera bag." "She's got a camera bag." "It's nylon." "So?" "This one's leather. Beautiful leather. Feel it, smell it." "I'm not gonna smell that bag." "Fine, don't smell it, but trust me, she's gonna love it."  (P.S. I Lo...)

15.  Sookie gives Jackson a CCR t-shirt for their anniversary.  "Oh, Jackson, I love the shirt." "Isn't it great? It's an anniversary gift from Sookie." "Sweet, huh?" "These two kids." "I got to tell you, I was completely surprised. I figured, with the test run and everything, she'd be way too busy to remember." "Aw, What are you talking about, Sookie could never forget her mushroom man." "I'd love her to forget that nickname though." (Raincoats & Recipes)

16.  Luke brings flowers to the test run of the Dragonfly.  "Here, these are for you -- a little congratulations." (Raincoats & Recipes)

17.  Lorelai has to come up with a gift for Luke when she and Rory come back from backpacking across Europe.  "What are you talking about? We do not go to Europe and come back without bringing something for Luke. Here." "Jam." "Yes, fancy French jam." "Fruits de la Terre. Very impressive." "It's handmade by this woman in Paris who has the most amazing story." "Really?" "Yeah. Orphaned." "Uh huh." "And illiterate." "Okay." "Just had nothing in her life, you know, except this burning desire to be the world's greatest jamstress. And she's famous now and, uh, you know, she only makes three bottles of that stuff a year and that's one of 'em, and I brought it all the way across the, uh. . .I got it from Sookie's house." (Ballrooms & Biscotti)

18.  The girls give Richard their birthday gifts.  Rory had to pick Lorelai's out.  "I must say, I am a very spoiled man. Chuck Berry, and the complete history of the Peloponnesian War." "Well, sure, ‘cause a partial history would skip all the dirty stuff." "I especially like the way you wrapped the books in a bow tie. It’s very, very clever." (That'll Do, Pig)

19.  Gran is coming to visit and Emily is freaking out about having to pull all of her gifts out of storage.  "Mother, Grandma is a very old woman, I highly doubt that she’s going to remember everything she ever bought you." "She will remember down to the very last shrimp fork and do you know why?" "No. Do you guys know why?" Because she doesn’t just give you a present, she gives you a present and she tells you where to put it, how to use it, what it costs - for insurance purposes of course - and God forbid you should have a different opinion or you don’t think it works in the space or you just get tired of waking up every morning with those horrifying animals staring at you!" "She’s just upset." "Stop talking to the dogs!" (The Third Lorelai)

20.  Rory finds the perfect graduation gift for Lorelai while browsing the music shop with Jess, an album by the Go-Go's.  "This was her favorite group when she was my age, and it's signed by Belinda. This would be the perfect graduation present. I've been looking for something all week long, and I couldn't find anything and now I have Belinda." (Lorelai's Graduation Day)

21.  Richard and Emily bring back marzipan from their trip to Europe.  "Marzipan is not candy. It is a unique substance unto itself, like Velveeta or plutonium."  (The Nanny and the Professor)

22.  Emily sneaks into Rory's dorm room and buys her all new furniture.  "I came home and all the normal furniture was gone and all this stuff was in here." "What did your roommates say?" "Tanna still doesn't know she's at Yale, Paris saw it and said nothing." "Oh, so that's coming." "Janet's out jogging so I don't know what she thinks, but I have to hope she's pleased 'cause that girl's in shape and can kick my butt."  (The Hobbit, the Sofa, and Digger Stiles)

23.  Logan gives Rory a rather cryptic gift.  "What? Rocket gum. It could be a thing." "There was no gum in it." "It doesn't have a button you can push?" "No, nothing like that. It's just a model rocket. I mean, what could that mean? Who gives someone a rocket?" (The Long Morrow)

25.  April sneaks over to see Luke, they exchange their Christmas gifts to each other.  "How's that?" "Good. It really livens up your apartment." "It's a very lively mask. Thanks again, April. I love it. I really do." "It's based on my real face you know." "Oh, yeah?" "Oh I mean not the outside, but the inside. I made it in art class, and I had to lie still with straws up my nose while a partner put plaster strips on my face." "Straws up your nose." "I suffer for my art." .....  "Wow! A rock polisher! Thanks so much." "You like it?" "It's the perfect present." "Well you hinted at it pretty hard, so I figured it might be the right thing." (Santa's Secret Stuff)

26.  Luke finds out Richard had a heart attack so he shows up at the hospital to see if there's anything he can do.  After Emily sends him on a million errands, he comes back with food for everyone.  "Okay so look, I got a couple of burgers, assortment of sandwiches. There's some salads in case all of a sudden you want to eat some salad." "Mm hmm." "All right, couple pieces of pie, half a dozen chocolate-chip cookies, and, of course, there is the fish bag." "You brought a fish bag?" "Well I heard somebody talking about fish. There's two fillets, okay, Lobster roll, fish tacos, two Tuna-fish sandwiches, some fried fish, and fish sticks." (I'd Rather Be in Philadelphia)

28.  Tobin and Michel try to out-do each other giving Lorelai gifts after the Inn burns down.  "Tobin, I love candles." "And it’s scented, cappuccino." .... "Michel, it’s beautiful." "Yes, well, I wanted it to be special, you know. Not just some knick-knack you could pick up at the supermarket or the car wash." .... "That is the jacket that Joe Strummer wore during the 1979 Pearl Harbor tour." "No." "Yes!" .... "I have to run an errand.  Just be here when I get back." (Happy Birthday Baby_

29.  Michel comes back from California and brings Sookie and Lorelai gifts.  "It's a smog globe. They are so funny in California." "Well, what do you know, He's Just Not That Into You." "I heard it's a fabulous book, and so true." (Pulp Friction)

30.  Rory gives Richard and Emily the gifts she and Lorelai picked out for them while in Europe.  "Oh my, it's lovely, Rory, really. Just beautiful." "It was between this and the Arc de Triumphe, but Mom said that the Eiffel Tower was fancier." .... "We found this amazing pipe store in Copenhagen and the man there can carve anything you want. His family's been doing it for over a hundred and fifty years. And they had a whole set of Alice in Wonderland pipes that Mom wanted to get, but they were way too expensive so we just got the Queen of Hearts." "Well, I love it." "Yes, and you're gonna love it outside on the patio."  (Ballrooms & Biscotti)

31.  Richard and Emily come to Rory's Stars Hollow birthday party, Richard gives Rory a check.  "For Fez." "But Grandpa, you already took care of that." "Fez is a very large city." (Rory's Birthday Parties)

32.  Emily finally comes clean and admits what all the running around looking at properties in Stars Hollow was about.  "Now, before you get your nose out of joint and accuse me of interfering, hear me out. I think your house is very nice. I know you've put a lot of work into it. But, Lorelai, it's too small for the two of you, especially when you have children, if you have children, I mean. A man needs his own space and room, and Luke does not have that at your house. Also, I know you've always wanted horses, so I thought something with a little property might be nice. Now, I know it's not actually in Stars Hollow, but it's right on the border. It's only an extra ten minutes to the inn and an extra five minutes to the diner. Plus I did a little nosing around, and I heard that if you grease the palm of the Stars Hollow zoning commissioner, a man named Taylor Doose, you can get him to change property lines, so we can give you a Stars Hollow address if it's really important to you."  (Driving Miss Gilmore)

33.  Emily asks Lorelai to go shopping with her to pick out something for Rory's birthday.  "Here." "Oh, now that's really good." "Really?" "Absolutely." "Doesn't look like something you could buy at a car wash?" "Totally. That's half the charm."  (Rory's Birthday Parties)

34.  Emily wants to redecorate a room for Rory at the Gilmore mansion and calls to find out Rory's favorite things.  They settle on the color blue, and sunflowers, but Rory can't decide between N'Sync or 98 Degrees.  "What about that other group? The Backside Boys?" (Emily in Wonderland)

35.  Chris sends Lorelai a gift basket when she graduates from business school.  A $25 savings bond, a youth hostel card, a practical manual for job hunters, a DVD of The Graduate, The Portable Nietzsche, an application to join the Armed Forces, and a pearl necklace.  "I think you're awesome, Lor. With everything you do and raising Rory the way you did, you're superwoman." "Wow." "Have a great day. I wish I could be there. Take lots of pictures for me." "Ugh, the camera, I forgot the camera." "Look in the basket."  (Lorelai's Graduation Day)

37.  Logan sends Rory a series of gifts trying to win her back after their fight when Jess comes to town.  "You're Rory Gilmore?" "Yes." "Someone pointed you out to me. This is for you." "What is?" "The coffee cart." "For me?" "Courtesy of Logan Huntzberger." "Oh, I see. Well, I don't want any coffee right now. Thanks anyway, and sorry you wasted your time, Ben." "No problem." "What are you doing?" "I'm hired for the day." (Just Like Gwen & Gavin)

38.  Lorelai gives Luke the blue hat after he drives her to the hospital to see Richard.  "What’s this for?" "Just thank you, Christmas, whatever." "Christmas isn’t for two weeks." "Do we really have to do this again?" (Forgiveness & Stuff)

39.  Emily and Richard bring back a gift from Martha's Vineyard.  "Scone mix, wow." "This new little place opened right down the road from our house and they make these wonderful scones, and that is their mix so you can make them right in your own kitchen." "Well, thanks, Mom. I will put this right on the counter and stare at it for many years to come." "You’re not going to make them?" "Oh, I’m not really much of a baker." "But the instructions are right there on the back." "Yeah, I know, but still." "Still what? Those are good scones." "Hey, maybe I’ll give this to Sookie and she’ll bake them." "I don’t understand why you simply can’t follow those directions and make the scones. Rory would love those scones." "Okay, I promise one way or another, the scones will get eaten."

40.  Mrs. Kim wants Lane to get something ready to send to Dave in California.  Lane calls Rory in a panic.  "It's the jug." "What jug?" "The jug. The big jug. The monumental jug." "What jug?" "Remember when I was a kid, my mother showed me the special jug that's been passed down in my family for years and years in a long-standing Kim tradition that she is personally going to present to the boy I'm going to wed?" "Oh, my G-d. The marriage jug?" "The marriage jug."