Type keyword(s) to search

Gilmore Girls Elimination Game

• Start Topic

Bye, bye, 8. I don't know why I love you as much as I do, but I do. 24 also out.

Voting against just one now!

Favorite Pop Culture References

2.  Mia comes to town and Lorelai finds out Luke was a Trekkie.  "Geez! Don't sneak up on me like that." "Yeah, boy, I was lucky you had your phasers on stun, huh?"  (The Ins and Outs of Inns)

10.  Rory finds a record for Lorelai while she's in NYC to see Jess.  "Go-go's. You must have that one." "No, for my mom. This was her favorite group when she was my age, and it's signed by Belinda. This would be the perfect graduation present. I've been looking for something all week long, and I couldn't find anything and now I have Belinda."  (Lorelai's Graduation Day)

17.  Lorelai and Rory are going to the Rocky Horror Picture Show to celebrate Rory's PSAT scores.  Luke is welcome to come, and to wear fishnet stockings, a leather teddy, and platform boots.  "Oh hey, if by some chance you knock on the door but no one answers even though all the lights are on, I'll just meet you there." (Secrets & Loans)

21.  Gran has been renting out her house in Hartford.  "A rock and roll group of some sort. I believe they call themselves Korn....They were fine tenants. Took wonderful care of the place. They planted some lovely tulips in the front yard." (That'll Do, Pig)

22.  Rory is getting over a cold and forgets to tell Lorelai, who has to go to dinner with her parents alone.  "I'm mad and needy, and I ended up going out to dinner alone with my parents, who bickered the whole time about which Beatle is alive and which is dead." "So, where'd they land?" "John and Keith are dead. Paul and Bingo are still kicking."  (Scene in a Mall)

23.  Luke's is empty. The girls try to figure out the best place to sit. "Or we could sit in the corner - you know, the Mafia table so that no one can come up behind you and whack you with a cannoli." "Whack you with a cannoli? Oh, because he left the gun and took the cannoli." "You’re so my daughter."  (It Should've Been Lorelai)

29.  Emily stands her ground against Gran at dinner and refuses to let them move on to the next course even though it has been twelve minutes.  "That'll do, Pig, that'll do."  (That'll Do, Pig)

• Love 1

17 gone!

2.  Mia comes to town and Lorelai finds out Luke was a Trekkie.  "Geez! Don't sneak up on me like that." "Yeah, boy, I was lucky you had your phasers on stun, huh?"  (The Ins and Outs of Inns)

10.  Rory finds a record for Lorelai while she's in NYC to see Jess.  "Go-go's. You must have that one." "No, for my mom. This was her favorite group when she was my age, and it's signed by Belinda. This would be the perfect graduation present. I've been looking for something all week long, and I couldn't find anything and now I have Belinda."  (Lorelai's Graduation Day)

21.  Gran has been renting out her house in Hartford.  "A rock and roll group of some sort. I believe they call themselves Korn....They were fine tenants. Took wonderful care of the place. They planted some lovely tulips in the front yard." (That'll Do, Pig)

22.  Rory is getting over a cold and forgets to tell Lorelai, who has to go to dinner with her parents alone.  "I'm mad and needy, and I ended up going out to dinner alone with my parents, who bickered the whole time about which Beatle is alive and which is dead." "So, where'd they land?" "John and Keith are dead. Paul and Bingo are still kicking."  (Scene in a Mall)

23.  Luke's is empty. The girls try to figure out the best place to sit. "Or we could sit in the corner - you know, the Mafia table so that no one can come up behind you and whack you with a cannoli." "Whack you with a cannoli? Oh, because he left the gun and took the cannoli." "You’re so my daughter."  (It Should've Been Lorelai)

29.  Emily stands her ground against Gran at dinner and refuses to let them move on to the next course even though it has been twelve minutes.  "That'll do, Pig, that'll do."  (That'll Do, Pig)

10 out!

Ya'll kicked out 21 over 23?  Really not sure what's wrong with you people.  :P

Glad you all were willing to see reason! Ha! 23 out. (I don't dislike it, it's just not at all a memorable scene IMO and definitely not in the league with these scenes. Just my opinion of course.)

Tie-breaker.  As much as a I love 29, my enjoyment is the scene as a whole (Gran's annoyance, Emily cutting her last green bean into six pieces while staring her down, ha!) so the pop culture reference is secondary.

Which one of these will win?!

We have a winner!  Looks like our favorite Pop Culture Reference is -

Rory is getting over a cold and forgets to tell Lorelai, who has to go to dinner with her parents alone.  "I'm mad and needy, and I ended up going out to dinner alone with my parents, who bickered the whole time about which Beatle is alive and which is dead." "So, where'd they land?" "John and Keith are dead. Paul and Bingo are still kicking."  (Scene in a Mall)

Let's keep it along the same lines and do Favorite Literary References next, sound good?

• Love 1

Rory's graduation speech - "I live in two worlds, one is a world of books," she said. "I've been a resident of Faulkner's Yoknapatawpha County, hunted the white whale aboard the Pequod, fought alongside Napoleon, sailed a raft with Huck and Jim, committed absurdities with Ignatius J. Reilly, rode a sad train with Anna Karenina and strolled down Swann's Way. It's a rewarding world."

Rory calling Jess, "Dodger" after she found out he took her book. 

Rory telling Robert that Rene Zellweger (sp??) gained a lot of weight to play the peasant in Social Origins of Dictatorship in Democracy :Lord and Peasant in the Making of the Modern World. 

Jess showing Rory his book, The Subsect. 

Lorelai borrowing, then returning, Swan's Way from Max. 

Paris and Jess arguing about Jack Kerouac. 

Rory telling Dean he's like Ruth Gordan, standing there with a tannis root. And he immediately knew it was Rosemary's Baby. 

3 hours ago, ghoulina said:

Rory telling Dean he's like Ruth Gordan, standing there with a tannis root. And he immediately knew it was Rosemary's Baby. 

Would that be considered a literary reference?  I thought he was referencing a movie?

Edited - okay, looks like the movie was based on a novel which came out the year before, so it's entirely possible that even though Dean was referencing the movie and says so, Rory (being a literary freak) was referencing the novel.  I'll count it.

Edited by Taryn74

-Dean reads Jane Austen and likes it. He tells Rory she needs to read Hunter S. Thompson (S1 Dean was so different ..)

-Rory and Jess discuss books on the bridge. He says he'll try The Fountainhead even though Ayn Rand is a political nut, and Rory says she will "give the painful Earnest Hemingway another try". Jess tells Rory that Earnest "only has lovely things to say about you"

-Sookie is asked out by her old co-worker and accidentally accepts. He tells her he's liked her for years. She's happy that she is "someone's Daisy" a la The Great Gatsby..

-Richard gifts Rory a 100 year old copy of Leaves of Grass in Greek after he and Emily return from their second honeymoon. Years later, at Richard's funeral scene in the Revival, a copy of Leaves of Grass is shown by his coffin

-Rory and Jess visit the record store in NYC and Jess tells her it's "right out of High Fidelity" which I suppose could be a movie reference but coming from Jess I assume it's the book

-In the first scene of the pilot, a random guy hits on Lorelai and tells her he's just passing through. She calls him "a regular Jack Kerouac". He is confused.

-When Lorelai's window is broken in season four and she's using the oven for heat, she asks if anyone has ever considered that Sylvia Plath wasn't depressed, she was just cold

-When Dean takes Rory to her dance, she tells him that the kids at her school are awful and tells him "Just call me Ponyboy"

-After Rory sleeps with Dean and Lorelai is ok with her going to Europe with Emily, Rory compares her life to a Henry James novel. "The young lady acts up, and her family ships her off to Europe?..Say goodbye to Daisy Miller"!

-*Not sure if this counts as a reference but..*Norman Mailer drives Sookie crazy ordering nothing but iced tea, leading to "Norman Mailer, I'm pregnant"!

-Emily pretends that she has read The Lovely Bones when she is trying to make an excuse as to why Lorelai can't stay for dinner: "I have book club" "What book"? "The Lovely Bones" "Did you like it"? "It's not my taste, but I respect the attempt" "Now I know where I get it from"

-Paris mentions her plans to stay home and read when Rory invites her to the Beacebridge dinner: "Rereading The Iliad for the third time is not doing nothing"

-Richard and Emily are talking about how they can't go to Paris because they only go every other year, in the Fall. Lorelai tells them Paris is still there in the Spring. They know it's there in the Spring but they only go in the Fall. Lorelai says it's getting a little too Lewis Carroll for her.

-Logan tries to convince Rory to climb up the tower for TLDBG stunt by talking about Hunter S Thompson "Hunter Thompson lived with the Hell’s Angels. Got in the muck, didn’t just orbit around it, and it drove his writing. He put you in those biker’s parties. He put you in those biker’s heads."

-Jess is surprised Rory is going to the town meeting "You're actually going to that? Those things are so To Kill a Mockingbird"

Wow sorry just realized how many that is...feel free to make cuts if necessary lol.

Edited by Bumblebee Tights

Favorite Literary References

1.  Rory's graduation speech.  "I live in two worlds. One is a world of books. I've been a resident of Faulkner's Yoknapatawpha County, hunted the white whale aboard the Pequod, fought alongside Napoleon, sailed a raft with Huck and Jim, committed absurdities with Ignatius J. Reilly, rode a sad train with Anna Karenina, and strolled down Swann's Way.  It's a rewarding world."

2.  Jess returns Rory's book that he borrowed (without her knowledge) after they meet for the first time.  "I thought you said you didn't read much." "Well, what is much? Goodnight, Rory." "Goodnight, Dodger." "Dodger?" "Figure it out." " .... Oliver Twist."

3.  Robert stops by to ask Rory out and catches her reading in the dining hall.  "Business or pleasure? .... Social Origins of Dictatorship and Democracy: Lord and Peasant and the Making of the Modern World. Oh. Pleasure." "Have you read it?" "I’m waiting for the film to come out." "Yeah, I heard Renee Zellweger is gaining a ton of weight to play the peasant."

4.  Jess shares the book he wrote with Rory.  "'The Subsect'...written by Jess Mariano." "It's no misprint." "You wrote a book?" "A short novel." "You wrote a book?!" "And through a fluke, I got it to these guys that have a small press, and they read it. I don't know if they were high or something, but they decided to publish it." 

5.  Lorelai borrows Proust from Max.  "So how's 'Swann's Way' coming?" "Oh, finished." "You're kidding! It took me forever to read that. I had to renew it ten times." "The first sentence - I finished the first sentence."

6.  Paris and Jess both crash Rory's alone night, they end up eating a ton of food and discussing books and other literary works all night.  "A tragic waste of paper." "I can’t believe you just said that." "Well, it’s true, the Beat's writing was completely self-indulgent. I have one word for Jack Kerouac – edit." "It was not self-indulgent. The Beats believed in shocking people, stirring things up." "They believed in drugs, booze, and petty crime."

7.  Rory meets Dean for the first time.  "G-d! You're like Ruth Gordon just standing there with a tannis root. Make a noise." "Rosemary's Baby." "Yeah."

8.  Richard and Rory have lunch at Yale.  "Well, Dickie made a mistake. He emailed me, thinking that I wouldn't read it for days, but I read it the minute he sent it. He figured my weekend starts at lunch on Fridays, as so many others do -- error followed by error." "That man needs to reread his Sun Tzu." .... "So, been reading anything good lately?" "I'm very into P.G. Wodehouse right now." "Oh, that's great." "You?" "Actually, I've had a personal triumph of late." "Oh, yeah? What?" "I've just finished the sixth and final volume of 'The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.' " "That is a triumph." "I started it in 1968. So it took only, what, 36 years to finish it? But by G-d, I finished it."

9.  Dean returns Rory's book.  "Here." "Oh, how'd you like it?" "Well, I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you." "Aha! You liked it, you liked Jane Austen. I knew you would. Lane, Dean likes Jane Austen." "Wow, who would've thought." "I told him he would, but he was all, 'Forget Jane Austen, you have to read Hunter Thompson.'"

10.  Jess and Rory sit on the bridge for their picnic.  "Ten." "Ten?" "Yeah, but I didn’t understand a word of it, so I had to reread it when I was fifteen." "I’ve yet to make it through it." "Really? Try it. The Fountainhead is classic." "Yeah, but Ayn Rand is a political nut." "Yeah, but nobody could write a forty page monologue the way that she could." "Okay, tomorrow I will try again, and you will. . ." "Give the painful Ernest Hemingway another chance. Yes, I promise." "You know, Ernest only has lovely things to say about you."

11.  Sookie agrees to go to dinner with an old friend, not realizing he's had a thing for her for years and thinks this is a date-date. "He’s liked you for ten years?" "Yes." "Wow. That is some serious Great Gatsby pining." "I know." "You’re his Daisy." "I am? I’m his Daisy. I’m someone’s Daisy."

12.  Richard gives Rory a gift after he and Emily return from their second honeymoon trip to Europe.  "Leaves of Grass in Greek. A hundred years old, some beautiful engravings." "Now I have to learn Greek."  Years later, we see a copy of Leaves of Grass by Richard's coffin in the Revival.

13.  Jess shows Rory around NYC.  "So how much time you got?" "I got a bit." "There's a record store you should check out. It's run by this insane freak who's like a walking encyclopedia for every punk and garage-band record ever made. Catalog numbers, it’s crazy. The place is right out of High Fidelity."

14.  A random guy tries to hit on Lorelai in Luke's.  "Yeah, I've never been here before. Just, uh, passing through on my way to Hartford." "You're a regular Jack Kerouac." " .... Yeah." "Yeah."

15.  Lorelai's window is broken and the house is cold.  She and Rory sit next to the oven to try to stay warm.  "Hey, did anyone ever think that maybe Sylvia Plath wasn't crazy, she was just cold?"

16.  Rory and Dean discuss if they actually want to go into the Chilton dance.  "And these kids at my school -- awful. Have you seen The Outsiders?" "Yeah, I have." "Just call me Ponyboy."

17.  Rory is upset that Lorelai encouraged her to accept Emily's offer of a trip to Europe after sleeping with a married Dean.  "So, what is this, a Henry James novel? The young lady acts up, and her family ships her off to Europe?" "Oh, come on." "How fast did you tell Grandma that I had nothing to do this summer?" "I'm not shipping you off." "Oh, please!" "I'm not. I'm just -- okay, maybe I am." "Ha!" "I wasn't planning on it, but maybe in the back of my mind, I just thought - " " - Say Goodbye to Daisy Miller."

18.  Emily makes excuses as to why she cannot invite Lorelai to stay for dinner.  "Lorelai, do not get dramatic. Dinner is not ready, and even if it was, I would still not be able to invite you to stay because your father and I have plans tonight. We are eating quickly and then leaving." "To go where?" "The Thompsons." "For what?" "Book club." "What book?" "Lovely Bones." "Did you like it?" "It's not my taste but I respect the attempt." "Now I know where I get it from."

19.  Rory invites Paris to stay for the Bracebridge dinner, since she doesn't already have plans.  "Rereading the Iliad a third time is not 'not doing anything'. I'm not pathetic."

20.  The elder Gilmores are upset that they aren't going to be able to make their usual trip to Martha's Vineyard and don't understand Lorelai's suggestion of going to Paris instead.  "We only go to Europe in the fall." "You know, Mom, I heard a rumor Europe's still there in the spring." "I heard that too." "We know that it's there in the spring but we never go in the spring because we always go in the fall." "It's getting a little too Lewis Carroll for me."

21.  Rory tries to argue with Logan that she doesn't want to jump off the scaffolding because journalists observe, not participate.  "Bill Buford lived with soccer hooligans in amongst the thugs. Ernie Pyle was so deep in the action in World War II, he was killed by a Japanese sniper, not that you gotta go that far." "Buford, Pyle. I know." "Richard Hottelet was four months in a Nazi prison working for the U.P. Hunter Thompson lived with the Hell’s Angels. Got in the muck, didn’t just orbit around it, and it drove his writing. He put you in those biker’s parties. He put you in those biker’s heads."

22.  Rory chastises Jess for causing problems for Luke with the other townies.  "You did it. The whole town knows you did it. They had a meeting about it." "You actually went to that bizarro town meeting? Those things are so 'To Kill a Mockingbird.'"

23.  Norman Mailer has been having lunch at the Dragonfly (well, sort of).  "Norman Mailer’s back, for the third time this week!" "Yep, sure is." "This is so exciting. I’ve got to call and tell Rory. You know, she read The Naked and the Dead while she was still wearing footsie pajamas."

24.  After finding the letter where Gran begged Richard to marry Pennilyn Lott instead of her, Emily shirks her funeral planning duties and lounges around with a cigarette and a drink, reading The Crimson Petal and the White.  "Lorelai, here, I just finished reading, and I think you'll really like it. It's about this prostitute named Sugar in Victorian England. She starts rising through the ranks of society, and she meets these really vivid characters!" "Okay, sure, you don't have to tell me the whole story now." "I'm not giving anything away. That's all on the back cover."

25.  Rory is annoyed that Lorelai won't just go to Luke's to eat even though Luke and Lorelai had an argument about Nicole.  "You're gonna starve to death." "Well fine, I will starve to death, because I'm not going to reward bad behavior." "Is there something in the fridge?" "Nothing edible." "There's Beefaroni. You like Beefaroni." "I'm not in the mood for Beefaroni." "Mom, you have to do something." "I need a suggestion." "Have you read The Bell Jar?"

Edited by Taryn74

Jess is reading Please Kill Me: The Uncensored Oral History of Punk when Rory is supposed to be helping him study. 

Logan, when he finds out Jess wrote a book - " So, what are we talking here? Short novel? Kafka length or longer? Dos Passos, Tolstoy? Or longer? Robert Musil? Proust? I'm not throwing you with these names, am I?"

Mark Twain - Rory had her 12th birthday at the Mark Twain museum. Lindsey also bought her a Mark Twain magnet on a field trip. (Is this the same place?)

Lorelai helping Rory study for her Shakespeare test. 

Anna telling Luke that April's friends call him "Hagrid". 

We have enough to start voting!  Voting against three to start out.

Favorite Literary References

1.  Rory's graduation speech.  "I live in two worlds. One is a world of books. I've been a resident of Faulkner's Yoknapatawpha County, hunted the white whale aboard the Pequod, fought alongside Napoleon, sailed a raft with Huck and Jim, committed absurdities with Ignatius J. Reilly, rode a sad train with Anna Karenina, and strolled down Swann's Way.  It's a rewarding world."

2.  Jess returns Rory's book that he borrowed (without her knowledge) after they meet for the first time.  "I thought you said you didn't read much." "Well, what is much? Goodnight, Rory." "Goodnight, Dodger." "Dodger?" "Figure it out." " .... Oliver Twist."

3.  Robert stops by to ask Rory out and catches her reading in the dining hall.  "Business or pleasure? .... Social Origins of Dictatorship and Democracy: Lord and Peasant and the Making of the Modern World. Oh. Pleasure." "Have you read it?" "I’m waiting for the film to come out." "Yeah, I heard Renee Zellweger is gaining a ton of weight to play the peasant."

4.  Jess shares the book he wrote with Rory.  "'The Subsect'...written by Jess Mariano." "It's no misprint." "You wrote a book?" "A short novel." "You wrote a book?!" "And through a fluke, I got it to these guys that have a small press, and they read it. I don't know if they were high or something, but they decided to publish it." 

5.  Lorelai borrows Proust from Max.  "So how's 'Swann's Way' coming?" "Oh, finished." "You're kidding! It took me forever to read that. I had to renew it ten times." "The first sentence - I finished the first sentence."

6.  Paris and Jess both crash Rory's alone night, they end up eating a ton of food and discussing books and other literary works all night.  "A tragic waste of paper." "I can’t believe you just said that." "Well, it’s true, the Beat's writing was completely self-indulgent. I have one word for Jack Kerouac – edit." "It was not self-indulgent. The Beats believed in shocking people, stirring things up." "They believed in drugs, booze, and petty crime."

7.  Rory meets Dean for the first time.  "G-d! You're like Ruth Gordon just standing there with a tannis root. Make a noise." "Rosemary's Baby." "Yeah."

8.  Richard and Rory have lunch at Yale.  "Well, Dickie made a mistake. He emailed me, thinking that I wouldn't read it for days, but I read it the minute he sent it. He figured my weekend starts at lunch on Fridays, as so many others do -- error followed by error." "That man needs to reread his Sun Tzu." .... "So, been reading anything good lately?" "I'm very into P.G. Wodehouse right now." "Oh, that's great." "You?" "Actually, I've had a personal triumph of late." "Oh, yeah? What?" "I've just finished the sixth and final volume of 'The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.' " "That is a triumph." "I started it in 1968. So it took only, what, 36 years to finish it? But by G-d, I finished it."

9.  Dean returns Rory's book.  "Here." "Oh, how'd you like it?" "Well, I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you." "Aha! You liked it, you liked Jane Austen. I knew you would. Lane, Dean likes Jane Austen." "Wow, who would've thought." "I told him he would, but he was all, 'Forget Jane Austen, you have to read Hunter Thompson.'"

10.  Jess and Rory sit on the bridge for their picnic.  "Ten." "Ten?" "Yeah, but I didn’t understand a word of it, so I had to reread it when I was fifteen." "I’ve yet to make it through it." "Really? Try it. The Fountainhead is classic." "Yeah, but Ayn Rand is a political nut." "Yeah, but nobody could write a forty page monologue the way that she could." "Okay, tomorrow I will try again, and you will. . ." "Give the painful Ernest Hemingway another chance. Yes, I promise." "You know, Ernest only has lovely things to say about you."

11.  Sookie agrees to go to dinner with an old friend, not realizing he's had a thing for her for years and thinks this is a date-date. "He’s liked you for ten years?" "Yes." "Wow. That is some serious Great Gatsby pining." "I know." "You’re his Daisy." "I am? I’m his Daisy. I’m someone’s Daisy."

12.  Richard gives Rory a gift after he and Emily return from their second honeymoon trip to Europe.  "Leaves of Grass in Greek. A hundred years old, some beautiful engravings." "Now I have to learn Greek."  Years later, we see a copy of Leaves of Grass by Richard's coffin in the Revival.

13.  Jess shows Rory around NYC.  "So how much time you got?" "I got a bit." "There's a record store you should check out. It's run by this insane freak who's like a walking encyclopedia for every punk and garage-band record ever made. Catalog numbers, it’s crazy. The place is right out of High Fidelity."

14.  A random guy tries to hit on Lorelai in Luke's.  "Yeah, I've never been here before. Just, uh, passing through on my way to Hartford." "You're a regular Jack Kerouac." " .... Yeah." "Yeah."

15.  Lorelai's window is broken and the house is cold.  She and Rory sit next to the oven to try to stay warm.  "Hey, did anyone ever think that maybe Sylvia Plath wasn't crazy, she was just cold?"

16.  Rory and Dean discuss if they actually want to go into the Chilton dance.  "And these kids at my school -- awful. Have you seen The Outsiders?" "Yeah, I have." "Just call me Ponyboy."

17.  Rory is upset that Lorelai encouraged her to accept Emily's offer of a trip to Europe after sleeping with a married Dean.  "So, what is this, a Henry James novel? The young lady acts up, and her family ships her off to Europe?" "Oh, come on." "How fast did you tell Grandma that I had nothing to do this summer?" "I'm not shipping you off." "Oh, please!" "I'm not. I'm just -- okay, maybe I am." "Ha!" "I wasn't planning on it, but maybe in the back of my mind, I just thought - " " - Say Goodbye to Daisy Miller."

18.  Emily makes excuses as to why she cannot invite Lorelai to stay for dinner.  "Lorelai, do not get dramatic. Dinner is not ready, and even if it was, I would still not be able to invite you to stay because your father and I have plans tonight. We are eating quickly and then leaving." "To go where?" "The Thompsons." "For what?" "Book club." "What book?" "Lovely Bones." "Did you like it?" "It's not my taste but I respect the attempt." "Now I know where I get it from."

19.  Rory invites Paris to stay for the Bracebridge dinner, since she doesn't already have plans.  "Rereading the Iliad a third time is not 'not doing anything'. I'm not pathetic."

20.  The elder Gilmores are upset that they aren't going to be able to make their usual trip to Martha's Vineyard and don't understand Lorelai's suggestion of going to Paris instead.  "We only go to Europe in the fall." "You know, Mom, I heard a rumor Europe's still there in the spring." "I heard that too." "We know that it's there in the spring but we never go in the spring because we always go in the fall." "It's getting a little too Lewis Carroll for me."

21.  Rory tries to argue with Logan that she doesn't want to jump off the scaffolding because journalists observe, not participate.  "Bill Buford lived with soccer hooligans in amongst the thugs. Ernie Pyle was so deep in the action in World War II, he was killed by a Japanese sniper, not that you gotta go that far." "Buford, Pyle. I know." "Richard Hottelet was four months in a Nazi prison working for the U.P. Hunter Thompson lived with the Hell’s Angels. Got in the muck, didn’t just orbit around it, and it drove his writing. He put you in those biker’s parties. He put you in those biker’s heads."

22.  Rory chastises Jess for causing problems for Luke with the other townies.  "You did it. The whole town knows you did it. They had a meeting about it." "You actually went to that bizarro town meeting? Those things are so 'To Kill a Mockingbird.'"

23.  Norman Mailer has been having lunch at the Dragonfly (well, sort of).  "Norman Mailer’s back, for the third time this week!" "Yep, sure is." "This is so exciting. I’ve got to call and tell Rory. You know, she read The Naked and the Dead while she was still wearing footsie pajamas."

24.  After finding the letter where Gran begged Richard to marry Pennilyn Lott instead of her, Emily shirks her funeral planning duties and lounges around with a cigarette and a drink, reading The Crimson Petal and the White.  "Lorelai, here, I just finished reading, and I think you'll really like it. It's about this prostitute named Sugar in Victorian England. She starts rising through the ranks of society, and she meets these really vivid characters!" "Okay, sure, you don't have to tell me the whole story now." "I'm not giving anything away. That's all on the back cover."

25.  Rory is annoyed that Lorelai won't just go to Luke's to eat even though Luke and Lorelai had an argument about Nicole.  "You're gonna starve to death." "Well fine, I will starve to death, because I'm not going to reward bad behavior." "Is there something in the fridge?" "Nothing edible." "There's Beefaroni. You like Beefaroni." "I'm not in the mood for Beefaroni." "Mom, you have to do something." "I need a suggestion." "Have you read The Bell Jar?" "Ah! Not funny!"

26.  Rory tries to help Jess study.  "Have you ever read Please Kill Me?" "No." "Oral history of the punk movement. You’d like it – you can borrow it if you want." "I’m here to help you study. Now, if you want me to go, I’ll go, but if I’m going to stay, then you will stop distracting me and start paying attention, understand?" "I understand." "Good. And yes, I would like to borrow it, thank you very much. Now open your book."

27.  Logan comes home early and catches Rory and Jess going out for a bite.  He tries to intimidate Jess.  "You write? Impressive. What do you write?" "Nothing important." "He wrote a book." "Oh, you penned the great American novel, Jess?" "Wasn't quite that ambitious." "So, what are we talking here? Short novel? Kafka length or longer? Dos Passos, Tolstoy? Or longer? Robert Musil? Proust? I'm not throwing you with these names, am I?" "You seem very obsessed with length."

28.  Rory finds out Dean and Lindsey are dating and awkwardly gives him her approval.  "Like once, in fourth grade, we went on a field trip to Mark Twain’s house, and I really wanted this refrigerator magnet in the shape of Mark Twain’s head, but I didn’t have any money, so she bought it for me, and she wouldn’t even let me pay her back. Pretty classy for a fourth grader."

29.  Lorelai helps Rory study for her big Shakespeare test.  "‘The Comedy of Errors’ - written?" "1590." "Published?" "1698." "Ooh 1623 - close." "How is 1623 close?" "You got the ‘16’ part right."

30.  Anna leaves April and her friends with Luke for April's birthday party.  "ANNA: Oh, please. She's excited about this. Plus, your chaperoning got rave reviews." "Really?" "April said you were the least-embarrassing parent on the trip." "Good, that's good, right?" "It's a rave. Her friends call you Hagrid." "Really? Hagrid. Wow. I don't know what that means." "He's a character from Harry Potter, very big, very hairy, very lovable. It's a huge compliment."