Type keyword(s) to search

Gilmore Girls Elimination Game

• Start Topic

17 - Scene is fine. Not one of my favorites.

19 - Meh.

I hope everyone has been enjoying time with family this holiday season! Voting against two still.

Favorite Scenes on the Phone, Part Deux

1. Michel refuses to answer the phone at work. "People are particularly stupid today. I can't talk to any more of them." "You know who's really nice to talk to? The people at the unemployment agency." "Independence Inn, Michel speaking." (Pilot)

11. Rory calls Lorelai for advice while on her horrible date with Trevor. "Trevor's fine. I'm moronic. I bring the conversation to a crashing halt every time I speak." "Well, where is he now?" "In the bathroom, probably pondering my brilliant anecdote about urine mints." "About what?" "You know, when people go to the bathroom and they don't wash their hands and they come out and they take a mint." "Oh, my G-d. I've been eating those mints for years. [to Luke] Hey, did you know about urine mints?" "What?" (The Fundamental Things Apply)

20. Sookie calls Lorelai after breaking the news to Jackson that she's pregnant. "Did he flip? Did he cry? Did he scream?" "No." "No? Did he hear you?" "Yeah, he heard me." "I don’t understand, what happened?" "Well, I came home and I got some flowers and I chilled some glasses and I put some music on and I opened a bottle of champagne, and the cork broke the window so I had to clean up the glass, and then I taped some cardboard over the hole, and then I knocked over the bottle of champagne, so I had to get out the mop." "My finger’s hitting the fast forward button, hon." "So, he came home and I handed him a beer, and I smiled and I kissed him and I told him he was gonna be a daddy." "And then he did what?" "Then he got out the calculator." "What?" "He’s been crunching numbers for two hours." "He didn’t say anything?" "No." "Mr. ‘I-want-four-in-four’ hears he can check off number one and he says nothing?" "Okay, not nothing." "Thank you." "Every fifteen minutes, he says, ‘Oh, boy.’" "‘Oh, boy’ like ‘Oh, boy!’?" "No, ‘Oh, boy’ like ‘Ohhh, booyyy.’" "Ohhh, booyyy." "Did you hear that?" (The Big One)

21. Miss Patty answers phones while Babette tries to learn the computer to help Michel out after the Inn burns down. "Hello, this is the Independence Inn emergency headquarters. I'm Miss Patty, I'll be assisting you today. How may I help you? ... The printer will be here in half an hour, I'll let him know. Thank you. Goodbye. ... The printer will –- " "I heard, and you've got to shorten your greeting." "What?" "You do not need to recite the Gettysburg Address every time you answer the phone." "I was Ricardo Montalban's receptionist for six months and he never complained." "Who?" "Don't make me hit you." [later, phone rings again] "Yeah?" (A Tale of Poes and Fire)

22. Lorelai calls to ask Luke for help when Sookie is put on bed rest. "Luke's!" "How pretty do you think I am?" "Are we using a specific day? Have you had a good night's sleep?" "Sookie's doctor put her on immediate bed rest, and I thought it would be fine, but no one will touch the ducks, and Michel wants to order a hoagie, and I am starting to hyperventilate and I'm not wearing a stretchy fabric, and -- " "I'll be right there." (But I'm a Gilmore!)

23. Taylor calls the diner to discuss the Twickham house. "Hey, Luke, it’s for you. It’s Taylor." "Caesar! You just broke Luke’s standing ‘when Taylor calls I’m out even if he can see me through the stupid connecting window’ rule." "I can tell him you’re out, and that Duke, your evil identical twin is in town." "No, no. I’ll take it. I actually have to discuss something with him." (Blame Booze and Melville)

24. Rory calls Logan to tell him she researched Hemingway's lost transcript. "Hello?" "We were both wrong." "About?" "Hemingway’s manuscripts were stolen in Hadley’s suitcase at the Gare de Lyon." "Huh." "Yep. Just thought you should know. We’re both dumb." "Guess we found each other." "Guess we did. So how’s the outing in the woods going?" "It was going fine until Finn decided to go through one of his naked phases." (So, Good Talk)

25. Jess calls Rory to find out why she was hanging out with Dean. "I heard that you were basically hanging out with Dean today." "Where did you hear that?" "It’s all over town." "Well, I was with him for awhile. What do you mean, it’s all over town?" "You haven’t seen the fliers?" "I’ve been home all night. What fliers?" "It says, 'People are already raving about Miss Patty’s one woman show.'" "And?" "There’s some blurbs. One says, 'Rory and Dean couldn’t stop talking about it.'" "We’re on a flier?" "You and a bunch of others. 'The mailman says, even without proper postage, this show delivers.'" "Well, now she’s making that up, ‘cause Ralph’s not that witty." (Swan Song)

27. Lane keeps calling Dave's house and hanging up when he answers. "I know this is a stupid question, but why can’t you just talk to him?" "Dean, please. This is a girl thing." "Uh, okay. Tell me when I’m supposed to pay attention again." "I’m gonna love him forever and he’s never gonna know it." "He would if you coughed." (They Shoot Gilmores, Don't They?)

28. Rory won't tell Paris her PSAT scores. "Hello?" "Hi Rory, it's Madeline." "Oh, hi." "Listen, I have to ask you a little favor." "Okay." "Well, see, I'm working on an article for the Franklin - totally last minute. But I thought it would be really interesting to compare Chilton's overall PSAT scores to other prep schools in the area." "Uh huh." "So I'm trying to compile a list of people's scores, especially the top students, and I realized I don't have yours yet." "Oh, so you wanna know my PSAT scores?" "Yes, that would be great." "Put Paris on the phone." "Excuse me?" "Paris, let me talk to her." "Oh, Paris isn't here. I don't know where she is. She's probably at her house, or maybe at the library, or maybe she's buying pencils because she goes through them so fast 'cause she pushes down on them really hard and then they break and...." "Madeline." "Hold on." (Secrets & Loans)

30. Lorelai calls Rory to complain about the cat on her porch. "Hello?" "They know." "Who knows?" "The cats -- they know that I've broken up with Jason and that I'm alone and they've decided it's time for me to become a crazy cat lady." "What are you talking about?" "There's a cat on my doorstep." "Well, that's better than a bun in your oven." "It's just sitting there, staring at me, like he knew this moment was coming. It's still there. Why is it still there?" "Mom, it's a stray. It's passing through. It's hanging out. Relax. Move away from the window and go back to bed." "It's not fair. We just broke up. It just happened. I'm still young. It's still possible that I'm gonna have a successful relationship. You don't know! My eggs are still viable!" "Are you yelling at me or the cat?" "The cat. I think he flipped me off with his tail. I'm Babette." "Babette's not single." "Whose side are you on?" (Luke Can See Her Face)

24 - I had completely forgotten this scene existed until this game, so meh.

22 - Just because it's a tie between this and 21, and 21 is a personal fave because it's the only time we ever see Michel interact with Miss Patty and Babette that I can remember. Plus, it's really funny. "Yeah?" LOLOL

Still two.

1. Michel refuses to answer the phone at work. "People are particularly stupid today. I can't talk to any more of them." "You know who's really nice to talk to? The people at the unemployment agency." "Independence Inn, Michel speaking." (Pilot)

11. Rory calls Lorelai for advice while on her horrible date with Trevor. "Trevor's fine. I'm moronic. I bring the conversation to a crashing halt every time I speak." "Well, where is he now?" "In the bathroom, probably pondering my brilliant anecdote about urine mints." "About what?" "You know, when people go to the bathroom and they don't wash their hands and they come out and they take a mint." "Oh, my G-d. I've been eating those mints for years. [to Luke] Hey, did you know about urine mints?" "What?" (The Fundamental Things Apply)

20. Sookie calls Lorelai after breaking the news to Jackson that she's pregnant. "Did he flip? Did he cry? Did he scream?" "No." "No? Did he hear you?" "Yeah, he heard me." "I don’t understand, what happened?" "Well, I came home and I got some flowers and I chilled some glasses and I put some music on and I opened a bottle of champagne, and the cork broke the window so I had to clean up the glass, and then I taped some cardboard over the hole, and then I knocked over the bottle of champagne, so I had to get out the mop." "My finger’s hitting the fast forward button, hon." "So, he came home and I handed him a beer, and I smiled and I kissed him and I told him he was gonna be a daddy." "And then he did what?" "Then he got out the calculator." "What?" "He’s been crunching numbers for two hours." "He didn’t say anything?" "No." "Mr. ‘I-want-four-in-four’ hears he can check off number one and he says nothing?" "Okay, not nothing." "Thank you." "Every fifteen minutes, he says, ‘Oh, boy.’" "‘Oh, boy’ like ‘Oh, boy!’?" "No, ‘Oh, boy’ like ‘Ohhh, booyyy.’" "Ohhh, booyyy." "Did you hear that?" (The Big One)

21. Miss Patty answers phones while Babette tries to learn the computer to help Michel out after the Inn burns down. "Hello, this is the Independence Inn emergency headquarters. I'm Miss Patty, I'll be assisting you today. How may I help you? ... The printer will be here in half an hour, I'll let him know. Thank you. Goodbye. ... The printer will –- " "I heard, and you've got to shorten your greeting." "What?" "You do not need to recite the Gettysburg Address every time you answer the phone." "I was Ricardo Montalban's receptionist for six months and he never complained." "Who?" "Don't make me hit you." [later, phone rings again] "Yeah?" (A Tale of Poes and Fire)

23. Taylor calls the diner to discuss the Twickham house. "Hey, Luke, it’s for you. It’s Taylor." "Caesar! You just broke Luke’s standing ‘when Taylor calls I’m out even if he can see me through the stupid connecting window’ rule." "I can tell him you’re out, and that Duke, your evil identical twin is in town." "No, no. I’ll take it. I actually have to discuss something with him." (Blame Booze and Melville)

25. Jess calls Rory to find out why she was hanging out with Dean. "I heard that you were basically hanging out with Dean today." "Where did you hear that?" "It’s all over town." "Well, I was with him for awhile. What do you mean, it’s all over town?" "You haven’t seen the fliers?" "I’ve been home all night. What fliers?" "It says, 'People are already raving about Miss Patty’s one woman show.'" "And?" "There’s some blurbs. One says, 'Rory and Dean couldn’t stop talking about it.'" "We’re on a flier?" "You and a bunch of others. 'The mailman says, even without proper postage, this show delivers.'" "Well, now she’s making that up, ‘cause Ralph’s not that witty." (Swan Song)

27. Lane keeps calling Dave's house and hanging up when he answers. "I know this is a stupid question, but why can’t you just talk to him?" "Dean, please. This is a girl thing." "Uh, okay. Tell me when I’m supposed to pay attention again." "I’m gonna love him forever and he’s never gonna know it." "He would if you coughed." (They Shoot Gilmores, Don't They?)

28. Rory won't tell Paris her PSAT scores. "Hello?" "Hi Rory, it's Madeline." "Oh, hi." "Listen, I have to ask you a little favor." "Okay." "Well, see, I'm working on an article for the Franklin - totally last minute. But I thought it would be really interesting to compare Chilton's overall PSAT scores to other prep schools in the area." "Uh huh." "So I'm trying to compile a list of people's scores, especially the top students, and I realized I don't have yours yet." "Oh, so you wanna know my PSAT scores?" "Yes, that would be great." "Put Paris on the phone." "Excuse me?" "Paris, let me talk to her." "Oh, Paris isn't here. I don't know where she is. She's probably at her house, or maybe at the library, or maybe she's buying pencils because she goes through them so fast 'cause she pushes down on them really hard and then they break and...." "Madeline." "Hold on." (Secrets & Loans)

30. Lorelai calls Rory to complain about the cat on her porch. "Hello?" "They know." "Who knows?" "The cats -- they know that I've broken up with Jason and that I'm alone and they've decided it's time for me to become a crazy cat lady." "What are you talking about?" "There's a cat on my doorstep." "Well, that's better than a bun in your oven." "It's just sitting there, staring at me, like he knew this moment was coming. It's still there. Why is it still there?" "Mom, it's a stray. It's passing through. It's hanging out. Relax. Move away from the window and go back to bed." "It's not fair. We just broke up. It just happened. I'm still young. It's still possible that I'm gonna have a successful relationship. You don't know! My eggs are still viable!" "Are you yelling at me or the cat?" "The cat. I think he flipped me off with his tail. I'm Babette." "Babette's not single." "Whose side are you on?" (Luke Can See Her Face)

23, 25 - Both amusing, but nothing special or memorable.

Voting against just one now.

43 minutes ago, TOWTooMuchTV said:

I know I'm outnumbered but I'm gonna keep voting 11. Just grosses me out!

Ha! The way Luke says "What?!" and Lorelai just waves him off like oh never mind just kills me. LOLOL

• Love 1

20 - Sometimes MM's delivery of a line is what makes or breaks a scene. This is one of them. Her whispered "Did you hear that?" just kills me for some reason. Ha!

11 - Yes, the story is disgusting and I desperately hope not true. But Luke's reaction is priceless.

30 - Funny, but eh.

28 - I always forget this scene exists until I'm rewatching, and then it makes me laugh like crazy. Paris is so predictable.

27 - "He would if you coughed." Hee! Sometimes even Dean gets a good line in.

How are we possibly at our final two?! Which one is the winner???