Type keyword(s) to search

Gilmore Girls Elimination Game

• Start Topic

16 - Eh.

9 - I love the randomness of this scene, and I laugh every time Emily knocks on the window and scares Lorelai out of her mind, but it doesn't carry nearly the impact the other choices do.

Voting against two still.

Favorite scenes where a character is alone 

1. Luke has a moment with his dad's boat after Lorelai buys it and hides it in her garage. "I haven't even looked at that boat since my dad got sick. Not a glance, nothing." (But Not as Cute as Pushkin)

3. Lorelai leaves a rambling, heartbroken message on Luke's answering machine after their breakup. "Hey, Luke, it's me. I know I'm not supposed to be calling, but I am not doing really great right now, and......I was just wondering, if, do you remember in The Way we Were, how Katie and Hubbell broke up because his friends were joking and laughing, and the president had just died, and she yelled at them and he was mad and he was going out to Hollywood, and, I mean, which she hated, and he broke up with her and she was really upset. And she called him and asked him if he would come over and sit with her because he was her best friend and she needed her best friend, and he did. And they talked all night, and they went out to Hollywood, which was a disaster, but it was good at first. With the boat, and uh, putting the books away. I've seen this movie a lot, so if you don't remember the putting the books away scene, don't feel stupid or anything. I was just sitting here thinking about it, because I, um, I'm in my house, and I was just, uh......could.....please come over. I......please." (Say Something)

7. Emily comes in after her date with Simon and bursts into tears. "Why shouldn't I date? I'm still a viable commodity." (Emily Says Hello)

8. Luke listens to his self-help tapes and realizes he can see her face. "Whoa." (Luke Can See Her Face)

12. Rory looks around her room and smiles as she takes in all the Yale paraphernalia Lorelai has hung up. "Look at my wall." "So?" "So, that wall says something." "Yeah, it says the Harvard merchandising department made a nice chunk of change off of us." "But how can I go to Yale with my wall looking like this?" (A Tale of Poes and Fire)

14. Luke watches Lorelai and Rory walk through town and makes sure they're not coming to the diner before he changes the sign to Closed. "Hey, what do you think of Luke?" "What do you mean?" "I mean, do you think he's cute?" "Oh, no. No way." "No way what?" "You cannot date Luke." "I said nothing about dating Luke." "If you date him, you'll break up, and we'll never be able to eat there again." "I repeat, I said nothing about dating Luke." "Date Al from Pancake World, his food stinks." (The Lorelais' First Day at Chilton)

15. Luke sits on a bench with mini-brides and watches Lorelai dance with Max at her engagement party. "It's just…it's a really big night for me tonight, and I don't know, it just feels like you should be there." (Hammers & Veils)

18. Luke stays up all night sewing together tarps so the Townies can throw a going-away party for Rory. "He made me promise not to tell you, but I don't care. This is all Luke. He did all of it. He's the one that came to me and said, 'let's do the party,' and then he planned the secret town meeting, everything." "Really?" "Yeah. I mean last night when we thought it was gonna rain and we'd have to cancel the party, he went around and collected everybody's tarps and tents and raincoats. I don't know how he did it. He must have stayed up all night doing this." (Bon Voyage)

20. Mrs. Kim sadly looks around Lane's empty room and realizes a floorboard is loose. She finds all of Lane's hidden contraband. "How long?" "How long what?" "How long......this." "I started it when I was six, the day you told me the Cookie Monster was one of the seven deadly sins." "Gluttony." "Yes, gluttony." (In the Clamor and the Clangor)

22. Luke finds Jess sitting alone on the lake bridge after Jess and Rory were in a car wreck. "I made sure she was okay." "I know you did." (Teach Me Tonight)

28. Lorelai introduces us to Stars Hollow as she walks through town square for the first time, ending up at Luke's. "Please, Luke, please, please, please." (Pilot)

30. Lane sadly looks in on Kyon sleeping in her bed, and then tiptoes in to give Mrs. Kim a kiss on the forehead. (Afterboom)

3 - Something about this scene just never has rang true to me and I don't know why. Plus, it's really sad.

14 - Aw, I love this one.

Still voting against two.

1. Luke has a moment with his dad's boat after Lorelai buys it and hides it in her garage. "I haven't even looked at that boat since my dad got sick. Not a glance, nothing." (But Not as Cute as Pushkin)

7. Emily comes in after her date with Simon and bursts into tears. "Why shouldn't I date? I'm still a viable commodity." (Emily Says Hello)

8. Luke listens to his self-help tapes and realizes he can see her face. "Whoa." (Luke Can See Her Face)

12. Rory looks around her room and smiles as she takes in all the Yale paraphernalia Lorelai has hung up. "Look at my wall." "So?" "So, that wall says something." "Yeah, it says the Harvard merchandising department made a nice chunk of change off of us." "But how can I go to Yale with my wall looking like this?" (A Tale of Poes and Fire)

15. Luke sits on a bench with mini-brides and watches Lorelai dance with Max at her engagement party. "It's just…it's a really big night for me tonight, and I don't know, it just feels like you should be there." (Hammers & Veils)

18. Luke stays up all night sewing together tarps so the Townies can throw a going-away party for Rory. "He made me promise not to tell you, but I don't care. This is all Luke. He did all of it. He's the one that came to me and said, 'let's do the party,' and then he planned the secret town meeting, everything." "Really?" "Yeah. I mean last night when we thought it was gonna rain and we'd have to cancel the party, he went around and collected everybody's tarps and tents and raincoats. I don't know how he did it. He must have stayed up all night doing this." (Bon Voyage)

20. Mrs. Kim sadly looks around Lane's empty room and realizes a floorboard is loose. She finds all of Lane's hidden contraband. "How long?" "How long what?" "How long......this." "I started it when I was six, the day you told me the Cookie Monster was one of the seven deadly sins." "Gluttony." "Yes, gluttony." (In the Clamor and the Clangor)

22. Luke finds Jess sitting alone on the lake bridge after Jess and Rory were in a car wreck. "I made sure she was okay." "I know you did." (Teach Me Tonight)

28. Lorelai introduces us to Stars Hollow as she walks through town square for the first time, ending up at Luke's. "Please, Luke, please, please, please." (Pilot)

30. Lane sadly looks in on Kyon sleeping in her bed, and then tiptoes in to give Mrs. Kim a kiss on the forehead. (Afterboom)

48 minutes ago, Taryn74 said:

Which whole arc? Rory's job, Rory leaving, the town throwing her a party, L/L stuff.....???

Season 7? 😂😂😂 basically anything season 7 is going to lose in my ranking to anything other than the revival.  

20, 22 - Both of these scenes break my heart. That is all.

Vote against two for the last time.

7 - This scene kills me. 😞

28 - Most beautiful intro ever.

Voting against just one now!

12 - What a beautiful GG-esque way for Lorelai to show Rory she's really okay with Yale.

35 minutes ago, lulu1960 said:

Just noticed that 4 out of 5 moments are about Luke. 

And the one that isn't, is about Lane. None of the Top 5 include an actual Gilmore.

....... I don't really know what that means, but I think it means something. LOL.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Taryn74 said:

And the one that isn't, is about Lane. None of the Top 5 include an actual Gilmore.

....... I don't really know what that means, but I think it means something. LOL.

I think it means reactions to the girls’ actions were more poignant than their reactions to the events the GG had.

Also, Luke was alone a lot, at least metaphorically. 

Also, also we like Luke. 😁

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Voting out 15 because as charming as the town wedding shower was, in retrospect it is pretty awful of Lorelai to call off the engagement and let Sookie handle letting everyone know second-hand, when the Townies had gone to such lengths to celebrate with her. Just one more thing to add to the Gilmore Entitlement pile which bugs me overall.

Voting out 18 because I love 1 more. Losing a parent is effing HARD and I think they nailed the way Luke was affected by it the rest of his life perfectly.

1 hour ago, ghoulina said:

I feel like crying. 18 was my favourite. I think this moment encapsulated all of Luke's character. It was so simply sweet. It makes me cry every time. 

It really was a beautiful thing, and so very Luke.

I have to say, I'm glad GG took place when it did and not in today's world. The first time I ever heard someone equate Luke Danes with "toxic masculinity" I would be loading for bear, I swear to heaven.

• Love 1

Dangit, have to play tie-breaker. I'm letting 30 go, even though I love love LOVE that scene, like Junie said, it's very much a secondary plotline.

Probably just a formality at this point, but which scene do you want to win?! Love that our last two are Luke scenes, I never would have called that at the beginning of the game!

We have our winner!

Luke listens to his self-help tapes and realizes he can see her face. "Whoa." (Luke Can See Her Face)

Like Lulu, I do think it should have been obvious to Luke I-still-have-that-horoscope-in-my-wallet Danes that he was really in love with Lorelai all along, but on the other hand I think it took stepping back and looking at his feelings more objectively for him to realize he was going to have to do something about it or their relationship was never going to actually change. An object at rest tends to stay at rest, and all that. I also think his 'whoa' moment was as much him realizing this potential relationship would probably be it rather than just they would just date for a while and see how it worked out, as well.

Sitting here thinking, WitS was in S5, and Luke had been holding on to that horoscope for 8 years at that point, right? So that means L/L had only met about 3 years earlier when the show started. While 3 years sounds like a really long time, it's honestly not unreasonable for his feelings to have been growing and changing without him really taking the time to examine them by that point, especially since Lorelai was a single mom hyper-focused on raising a young teenager. Plus I guess Luke would have still been getting over Rachel when he first met Lorelai, too.

So, yeah. I can see it taking him this long when I step back and look at it.

• Love 1