Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E16: The Long Haul

In “The Long Haul,” Sharon and Will (guest stars Annie Potts, “Chicago Med,” and Rob Morrow, “Billions”) return to the Adams Foster home with news that they are engaged. While the family happily prepares for the wedding ceremony, Stef learns that her mom is having second thoughts about getting married. In an effort to come clean with Jesus, Emma writes him a letter but learns he is hiding a secret of his own. Meanwhile, Jude is teased at school when Lena organizes an LGBTQ-friendly sex ed class for students.

I'll start off with what I liked.

The good:

• Lena and Stef getting remarried. They may not always be the best parents or communicators, but I do love their love.
  • Lena holding the sex ed class even though she didn't have permission slips (this might come back to bite her, but I hope it doesn't. These kids need a safe space.)
  • Sharon. Annie Potts is great and I like Will a lot too. 
  • Brandon. I know. He's still on my good list. I like what he did for Grace, although I'm meh at the kiss. (Doesn't she have a boyfriend?) Not that I don't like Grace, but a) Brandon probably won't stay likable if he has a gf b) he just got out of a relationship. Not all teens have to constantly be in relationships. It would be nice change of pace for them to stay friends.
  • AJ. Seriously, thank you for spilling some truth tea for Callie. 

The bad:

• Jesus and Jesus and Emma. I felt so bad for both of them :( Emma's hope dissipated once Sharon told her that she didn't read that part of her letter to Jesus. I hope these kids can find a way to stay together because I like them. With that being said, it might be too much for them after everything that's happened. I'd imagine even without a TBI, a young couple going through an abortion would bring undue stress. 
  • Callie. Good. Lord. Can this girl just stop for one damn minute? My sympathy and patience for Callie is nearly worn out. I'm not saying she should forget all about Kyle, but Stef's a detective. Maybe trust her to do this stuff Callie so that you don't get your ass busted along with AJ? 
  • AJ thinking Mike only wants to adopt him because of Anna. I mean, to be fair, that is how it was framed, but you can tell how hurt he is thinking his adoption is really only the means to an end for Mike's current relationship.
  • Love 6

I didn't really like this episode for some reason. And I don't know why, but I'm underwhelmed by the moms stuff. But I love that they got remarried already. 

AJ speaking for all of us. 

I hope the next ep is better.

• Love 1

I figured out about halfway through the episode that it would be a surprise Stef/Lena wedding. And it was definitely nice; the last few minutes are my favourite scenes in a while. Plus, hey! Weather that's not just sun or some sort of tornado/hurricane/freak weather situation! 

AJ is officially one of my favourites. He speaks for all of us. This show does do a good job in portraying all aspects of a situation, even if it's not in favour of the main character. He told it like it was and Callie didn't seem to listen, not really. This is probably the beginning of the rough end. I swear, Callie doesn't really get to feel pissy about AJ and other chick since she blatantly cheated on him with Aaron. Those two kissed at the beginning of season 4, and then I do think she emotionally cheated on him by spending so much time with Aaron. Much like AJ is probably doing this to subconsciously hurt Callie, she's more in the wrong and I don't even care for her character anymore. She could go to jail and I'd be happy. With all this talk about how she'll never go to jail, this is the time that I'm hoping for a twist that has her going. Plus, I'm now rooting for Kyle to be the murderer, just so Callie can be wrong.

I feel kind of petty for wishing all these negative consequences on Callie, but she's become unbearably depressing this season. She even dragged AJ into her mess. He pretty much had no choice since he knew Callie would go in, whether or not he said no. 

Hey, Mariana! Can you stop being so demanding of your mothers and assuming that Lena "isn't busy" just because she quit her job to take care of your twin brother? Thanks. She's the other one that has been frustratingly annoying this season. She literally can't stay out of other people's businesses. 

Emma and Brandon, on the plus side, have been real winners this season. Emma's going through her own journey and I loved the scene with Sharon in the guest house. That was such a nice moment. That one and the one with Stef/Lena in the bathroom were nice moments, addressing the audience more than anything. This show has always done well in delivering these messages, even if they sound somewhat preachy, and it's not about TV drama, so I'm good with it. Brandon, in particular, is showing that he's changing. I don't like Grace, though. She's not needed to be Brandon's love interest. I assume that she lied about having a boyfriend when Brandon met her, maybe because he was trying to ask her out and she decided to lie. Or else she just cheated on her boyfriend. 

I'm becoming somewhat disappointed in the little attention Jesus is getting. It is nice to see that he's still recovering, and I think back to the doctor's words to Stef/Lena in the twelfth episode about how he can show progress and then stumble back. I wonder if we'll see more setbacks other than using a cane and not being able to read. It would be nice to see this being an ongoing process of healing for the rest of the series. Or, at least into season 5. 

Jude and Noah? Eh. I did like Noah saying that there's more than one form of sex, but I'm really not into these two. 

• Love 6

My question is won't Stef and Lena getting remarried so soon raise red flags at the IRS? Also, when did they have time to get a marriage license? So many details left on the cutting room floor.

• Love 5

terrible episode overall

i did like aj ripping callie a new one, he can do better then her

the attempt at trying to make brandon seem like a good person is really annoying and needs to stop

feel awful for jesus

sharon sucks, so annoying and bratty wonder what will sees in  her, no wonder frank and her divorced 

jude is such an ungrateful brat when he was the one who wanted sex ed, someone slap him

stef and lena divorcing just to save their home is mocking the lgbtaq struggle and the fight we have had for years to even be able to marry, those two shouldn't be able to remarry because they don't appreciate the struggle we have had clearly  

13 minutes ago, hovegeta said:

stef and lena divorcing just to save their home is mocking the lgbtaq struggle and the fight we have had for years to even be able to marry, those two shouldn't be able to remarry because they don't appreciate the struggle we have had clearly  

The only time TV shows ever mentions wedding licenses is if the couple tries to get one and finds out they can't because one of them is unknowingly married to someone else.

• Love 1

Didn't the previews warn us to NOT MISS THE LAST TEN MINUTES! Why? To watch a wedding I already saw a few years ago?

My husband asked me what the situation with Callie is and I couldn't even bother to tell him, it's just stupid and convoluted. Love AJ though. 

• Love 2

I'm confused, Stef and Lena were officially divorced for, like, a few hours and that somehow saved the house and now they're married again?

Al Capone went down for tax evasion but the IRS is going to get beat by this?

• Love 3

One of my favorite episodes of the series because it primarily focused on the family and omitted most of the excess drama (despite the painful Troy encounter). Really liked Stef/Callie scene at the sink in the beginning. More of these quiet moments -- and less of the crazy drama -- is makes this show different and special. 

Sharon reading the letter to Jesus and particularly Sharon comforting Emma were terrific scenes. Annie Potts is a treasure. (I'm so glad that TPTB didn't have a huge Emma/Jesus blowup in the midst of the wedding prep.) Emma figuring out that Jesus cannot read was much more important. 

Lena failing to obtain permission slips from each of the LGBT kids will surely have negative ramifications for her job but, in reality, how do you get permission slips from parents when kids aren't ready to come out to them? Loved seeing the large number of kids at the session. I never really liked Noah - or Jude/Noah - until the scene in Jude's bedroom where Noah admitted that he wasn't as experienced as Jude had thought. 

AJ finally laying the truth on Callie about how everything revolves around her was great and long overdue. He is too good for Callie. I'm guessing that he will go off with Ty instead of allowing Mike to adopt him and exit the show but I hope I'm wrong. Speaking of Mike, I was surprised that he wasn't at the wedding. 

Loved Sharon breaking down and admitting to Stef that she hated her father after they were married. The subsequent Sharon/Will discussion was nice too. I don't usually like seeing Will but he clearly seems to be head over heels about Sharon. 

The surprise re-marriage, the wonderful kiss in the pouring rain with their family watching through the kitchen window = perfect. The window scene reminded me of the end of one of the previous seasons when Jesus returned from wrestling school and Stef and Lena kissed while the family cooked. 

• Love 4

This show is really starting to bore me. I don't know if it's because I binge watched the rest of the seasons on netflix, but this one just has been a snooze fest for me. I know I'm in the minority and everyone else hates the Brallie stuff, but I am one who loves it and hope they bring it back. I know she's adopted but still, I hope they find a way lol

• Love 1

Finally, Noah and Jude get a rare genuine moment. Why didn't this show just jump to this without the preposterous detour to the gay online sex story? Because it would be too normal, too real. 

Too bad AJ didn't get to tell Callie some more home truths about herself. Unfortunately, I expect that we won't be seeing much of him once they stop dating.  AJ and Jude are the only two of the kids who get the semi-normal stories.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2

I want to call out the promo monkeys for making it look like Emma was saying that there was something romantic going on between she and Brandon in a big dramatic moment, but then it being a total non dramatic moment in the episode and she was just talking about him knowing about the pregnancy/abortion.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, TVForever said:

It's official;

AJ is now my favorite character. Watching him give Callie some "home truths" about herself was wonderful, and long overdue.

Yes, thank you AJ for getting Callie all the way together, but next time, lose the shirt.  :-D  She doesn't fucking listen and she doesn't fucking get it.  How much more shot needs to happen to her before she takes the warnings from everyone e to heart?  Unfortunately, it won't happen until she ends up in jail.  It would serve her right.

Shut up, Marianna!  Good lord she's becoming more and more insufferable.

• Love 4

Given the way this show has played out with Callie to this point I'll be surprised if her investigation doesn't somehow result in both Callie and her former foster brother being proved innocent and AJ apologizing to her for ever doubting her.

• Love 1

I think Stef and Lena's wedding was symbolic, not legal.  They couldn't have gotten a license on ten minutes' notice, and even if they could, they couldn't remarry immediately after a divorce was final and not be in a hot mess with their legal/house situation.  I think Stef needed reassurance that Lena would marry her again, and Lena gave it to her.

On a shallower note, I liked Sharon's dress. 

• Love 3

Grandma: "Ohhhh, LGBTQ Sex Ed? Can I come?"

Everyone: "NO!"

AJ speaks for us all! I loved him calling out how self centered she's become, and how stupid and irresponsible she's being. At least that plot was mostly on the backburner, and I liked the scenes of Callie and Stef at the sink, and her and Mariana watching the moms kissing in the rain.

The Stef and Lena wedding was cute, but not as exciting as the previews made it seem. I also liked the folksy fellow doing the officiating. He was funny trying to improvise, and I thought they were super sweet together.

I actually liked Brandon and his soon to be girlfriend in this one. I thought her attempts at standup were endearing, and they were likable together. I want Brandon to have more non romance plots, but at least he was still supporting the family here, and he and soon to be girlfriend weren't irritating like his last few girlfriends.

Callie...I've said she needs to stop being an idiot a million times before, so I will just repeat that one more time. Callie, your an idiot.

Always good to see grandma, and her presence here worked well in moving the story along. I was kind of offended on Stefs behalf when she was talking about how she came to hate her father. I mean, he's dead, kind of in poor taste.

• Love 4

I neglected to add that I also liked the scene of Mariana and Callie sitting in the rain watching the moms kiss. Mariana is so likable when she is in a frenzy doing family things -- much less likable when she is doing stupid things like tweeting about Emma's abortion. 

• Love 6
15 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

Given the way this show has played out with Callie to this point I'll be surprised if her investigation doesn't somehow result in both Callie and her former foster brother being proved innocent and AJ apologizing to her for ever doubting her.

Oh, yeah--in the spirit of this show, that's the only way it could end!

• Love 2
5 hours ago, LisaM said:

I neglected to add that I also liked the scene of Mariana and Callie sitting in the rain watching the moms kiss. Mariana is so likable when she is in a frenzy doing family things -- much less likable when she is doing stupid things like tweeting about Emma's abortion. 

I like Marianna a lot in her role as "family organizer" as well. Also when she takes leadership roles in STEM club and things like that. There's a positive energy and eagerness that is endearing. 

• Love 3

Finally watched this episode and just want to add to the list of people who want to shake Callie. What a little brat! I just wanted the speech AJ gave to her would have been longer. Callie need more than therapy. She needs a hard core intervention, like every morning, first thing after she wakes up and every hour of the day.

Knowing what happens in the future episodes makes me impatient with everyone, but Jesus, I think. I also think the actor who plays Emma is doing a good job with her conflicts about the abortion. I wish Marianna had a job. she has way too much time in her hands t interfere with people's lives, even when things go well.