Type keyword(s) to search

So Cosmo - General Discussion

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

No one watching this show?  I'm hate watching because I used to work in this industry. As with all Bravo/E shows, the drama is so fake. Joanna Coles just keeps repeating how great Cosmo is. Such a great promotional opportunity. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, GussieK said:

No one watching this show?  I'm hate watching because I used to work in this industry. As with all Bravo/E shows, the drama is so fake. Joanna Coles just keeps repeating how great Cosmo is. Such a great promotional opportunity. 

Yes girl, i am here and dedicated to hate watching this mess if I have some fellow snarkers.

The promotional opportunities are endless and so very obvious.  "Hey girl, can you believe what the amazing people from maybelline just sent me?" *zoom in on maybelline bag* "oh girl I can't even wait, i need to smear this loud blue lipstick all over my lips and proclaim it fabulous!"

Just another day in the office!

• Love 2

I've actually been really enjoying this show.  It's a fun, mindless show.

I think, however, that the heavy, heavy emphasis on Diandra is not a good choice.  She's not that interesting to me, and the more I see her, the more I wonder why we're seeing her so much, and what exactly her job is.

Also, the model booker?  Doesn't he look like Kyan from the original Queer Eye for the Straight Guy?

• Love 4
3 hours ago, hilaryvm said:

I've actually been really enjoying this show.  It's a fun, mindless show.

I think, however, that the heavy, heavy emphasis on Diandra is not a good choice.  She's not that interesting to me, and the more I see her, the more I wonder why we're seeing her so much, and what exactly her job is.

Also, the model booker?  Doesn't he look like Kyan from the original Queer Eye for the Straight Guy?

I think its a good show to snark watch.  Because everything is just so obvious.  "Hi, I'm so and so from L'Oreal, today we're gonna try on L'Oreal's new brand of lipstick!" I have to wonder if these people are actual employees or if they were "hired" to do the show.  Especially Diandra and Evan.  He just seems a little too camera comfortable for my liking.

The funniest thing about Diandra is that the show is going to make me feel the exact opposite about her than they want me to feel.  And she maybe could tone it down just a touch on the makeup, she looks like a kewpie doll.

The model booking guy.....no tea, no shade, but am I supposed to believe he is straight?

• Love 1

I don't even know where to begin with my observations, but you all have know about Diandra for starters.  

4 hours ago, hilaryvm said:

I thought she was really full of herself--brand coordinator, or whatever.  It's a glorified event planner.  But I looked up some background and realized I had seen her before--on a short-lived CBS show called The Job.  It was a bunch of interns vying for a permanent job at Marie Claire, Joanna Coles's previous post.  That's how Diandra got her first job--she actually won the contest.  I had watched that show because as I stated above, as a former magazine editor I tend to tune in to these things.  This is Joanna Coles's third time at the TV rodeo.  She's a real publicity hound. 

All the drama about whether people will be retained by the new editor--how fake.  As if that isn't all planned in advance.  They're not going to fire these people on TV.  Although that does happen with new editors.

• Love 2
(edited)
6 hours ago, GussieK said:

I don't even know where to begin with my observations, but you all have know about Diandra for starters.  

I thought she was really full of herself--brand coordinator, or whatever.  It's a glorified event planner.  But I looked up some background and realized I had seen her before--on a short-lived CBS show called The Job.  It was a bunch of interns vying for a permanent job at Marie Claire, Joanna Coles's previous post.  That's how Diandra got her first job--she actually won the contest.  I had watched that show because as I stated above, as a former magazine editor I tend to tune in to these things.  This is Joanna Coles's third time at the TV rodeo.  She's a real publicity hound. 

All the drama about whether people will be retained by the new editor--how fake.  As if that isn't all planned in advance.  They're not going to fire these people on TV.  Although that does happen with new editors.

A co-worker brought in some magazines to give away and one was the February edition of Cosmo, which I took. So as I'm finally watching the first three episodes on my TiVo tonight, I decide to check the masthead. Every person on the show is still on staff, even Evan and Tiffany's personal assistant, Shalaeya. The show was taped last September so apparently, Michelle did not make any staff changes. Totally ruins any suspense.

Edited by Scout Finch
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, GaT said:

I'm also watching this. I don't find it very interesting though, it's more background noise for me.

It is a perfect Friday background noise show.  It's very glossy and paying too much attention will just result in massive eye rolls :)

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Scout Finch said:

A co-worker brought in some magazines to give away and one was the February edition of Cosmo, which I took. So as I'm finally watching the first three episodes on my TiVo tonight, I decide to check the masthead. Every person on the show is still on staff, even Evan and Tiffany's personal assistant, Shalaeya. The show was taped last September so apparently, Michelle did not make any staff changes. Totally ruins any suspense.

My big surprise is that Evan is really a workout guru.  I sort of.thought he was a model/actor hired for a job.  Mission: weird and awkward flirting.

I'm also mildly amused that the "picture perfect Cosmo girl" seems to be a passive aggressive attention junkie who can't be in the same room with a guy she likes without resorting to 12 year old tactics of flirting with another guy in front of him.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, RealReality said:

The model booking guy.....no tea, no shade, but am I supposed to believe he is straight?

I don't know if you've watched last night's episode but no.  He's not straight.

I still don't get Diandra's role at the magazine.  She plans events?  She does other things?  Also, I get that she sees Joanna as a mentor, but I thought it was a little crazy to go crying to your boss about someone at work being mean to you. At least she didn't say who it was.

• Love 2

I thought she was really full of herself--brand coordinator, or whatever.  It's a glorified event planner.  But I looked up some background and realized I had seen her before--on a short-lived CBS show called The Job.  It was a bunch of interns vying for a permanent job at Marie Claire, Joanna Coles's previous post.  That's how Diandra got her first job--she actually won the contest.  

THANK you! I knew she looked familiar and something kept nagging at me that she was on some fashion editorial reality show -- but I just couldn't figure out which one. 

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Pj3422 said:

THANK you! I knew she looked familiar and something kept nagging at me that she was on some fashion editorial reality show -- but I just couldn't figure out which one. 

That's probably why the show is featuring her so heavily, she's the one with reality show experience.

• Love 1

Man, this show.

1. Deandra -- I realize this show is trying really hard to make me like her, but they are failing hard.  Like, girl, you are a glorified secretary.  Which is fine, and makes you an inspiration for other girls that want to be glorified secretaries, but I'm super confused by her sense of entitlement to be a role model?  If she left home at 17 and was now an editor, or in charge of a department, then YES, she would be a role model.  But a lot of girls leave home at 17, you're not automatically a role model because you landed a job.  

2. Also, what the hell kind of response do you expect when you ambush someone by the elevator right before their ready to go home for the weekend?  Was Steven supposed to be happy to see you?  I would have blown her off in the exact same way, so I don't see how she claims victim status.

3.  Did you really just go to your boss with some stupid workplace dispute?  "I felt disrespected!"  That man was telling you the truth, and you can't convince me that that wasn't some passive aggressive bullshit move on her part to get Joanne to hate Stephen.  You think that JC can't just open her eyes and see who Deandra would have a problem with?  And how is she too stupid to figure out that if you had a bad conversation with someone that you should probably just avoid them as best you can.

4. Why was Evan a presenter at an event that was about money?  

5. Why was a "relationship guru" at an event about money?

6. Why weren't there any presenters talking about money?  At a conference about money....

7.  Whats funny to me is that out of everyone on the show, its Tiffany that should be presented as a role model for young women, not Deandra.  Tiffany heads up a department, she is always about business (even if she is strict with the hangers), she had humble beginnings, in the Bronx.  She has to face real issues at work, not "someone was mean to me, boo hoo."  It annoys me, and while I may be a conspiracy theorist, it does have a slight whiff of colorism.

8. Is Philip Pline eurotrash?  I've heard that term bandied about, and it seems like it fits.

9.  I like Holly, Steven, Tiffany and the bald guy.  They all seem close and comfortable with each other, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that they only hang out with Deandra for the show.

9 hours ago, GaT said:

That's probably why the show is featuring her so heavily, she's the one with reality show experience.

her eyes, noticeably slid to the camera in this episode.  She may not be as savvy as they think.  

• Love 1

I started watching the episode where they're in the Hamptons, % & I was just so bored I deleted it. That's it for me, this show isn't holding my interest at all.

Edited by GaT
On 3/8/2017 at 6:12 PM, GussieK said:

Oh, come on. Evan is rock climbing without a shirt?  GMAFB. 

I rolled my eyes so hard at this.  I regularly climb, and not only have I never seen someone climb without a shirt, my home gym actually has a rule that you have to wear a shirt!

Although I did laugh at Tiffany and Evan's teasing of Diandra that she totally fell for, even though it was so obvious what they were doing (and I'm fairly sure the others caught on as well).

15 hours ago, GaT said:

I started watching the episode where they're in the Hamptons, % I was just so bored I deleted it. That's it for me, this show isn't holding my interest at all.

Yeah, i really tuned out for most of the Hamptons too. Really dumb. 

I'm watching via On Demand, why I have no idea.  The biggest thing that pisses me off about this show and others of its ilk (House of DVF, Running in Heels) is all the hard working, boring normal staff members not shown, and no, not just the beleaguered yet ever camera ready interns in the fashion closets. I assume they have to do the majority of office taping after regular work hours--or else where are they hiding the rest of the Cosmo staff? The copyeditors, the photo researches, the marketing and sales teams, the administrative and executive assistants who don't get to jet off to Miami to "location scout" with Evan. So many people in the magazine industry work long and hard hours closing monthly issues, and most of them for very little pay and recognition.  

Kell on Earth was the only show that I feel came close to capturing the drudgery of day-to-day office work in this too often glamorized industry. I guess until they find a way to sex up Excel spreadsheets and jammed printers we'll have to pacify ourselves with Steven's tired barbs at Deandra and laying awake at night anticipating the next long-lasting, bold lip color (TM L'oreal)!

• Love 3

And an entire plot about a stain on a skirt, with everyone running around not knowing what to do. ...and then someone remembers they have 47 gazillion magazines under their umbrella with lots of answers to such things.

I wonder how many people Hearst fired so that Cosmo people could take their jobs? Coles acts like she's SO innovative, but they're only doing what most companies are doing now a days , less people doing more work.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Locutus said:

And an entire plot about a stain on a skirt, with everyone running around not knowing what to do. ...and then someone remembers they have 47 gazillion magazines under their umbrella with lots of answers to such things.

I wonder how many people Hearst fired so that Cosmo people could take their jobs? Coles acts like she's SO innovative, but they're only doing what most companies are doing now a days , less people doing more work.

I agree with everything you said, having said that, I am enjoying the episodes where they are in the office and acting like children.  I am in.  The Hamptons thing was terrible.

Apparently it finished, albeit with a kind of abrupt ending: http://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/tv/a9207379/so-cosmo-season-one-finale-recap/

I know several people who work/ed at Cosmo, and many of the real editors, who actually assign and edit the stories, can be seen on the fringes of the editorial meetings in the show. And they are quite photogenic! But I guess too busy to be doing the real work to star in a reality show full-time.