Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E09: Nicole's Story

Azubah
  • Start Topic

21 hours ago, fonfereksglen said:

The ONLY thing I have to add to this horror show is on one of the pop-ups, it said that druggie dad had seven back surgeries and that was why he was fussing when loading their stuff/junk into the moving van.  

My educated guess is druggie dad is the one on disability and crooked nose baby dad works (good for him) and that is the combined source of the income for this bizarre menagerie.  Then subtract the money for drugs and feeding the pets ....................... what a mess!    

Nicole might be receiving benefits, and not admitting who dad is (so they don't go after him). Dad and Mom both look like they might be eligible for disability. And this is huge speculation, but maybe they had such a difficult time getting housing because they are on section 8? Many landlords won't touch section 8 with a 10 foot pole. If 3 of the 4 are getting benefits, plus mouth breather is working, that's how they could afford so much fast food. 

A couple other points....the therapist told Nicole it's time for her to be a little selfish.... I'm guessing reading people is not her forte'. Look up selfish in the dictionary, and you'll see Nicole's picture...likely taking up two pages. 

I think the toddler in the bath was totally staged. Grandma yells to Nicole that he was messing around in the tub-a situation that calls for urgency being that he can burn himself. If a little person is as risk, my first thought/action would be to immediately grab them. Not call a 700 pounder who I know can't fit through the bathroom door. So either it was super staged (to make the point that her weight makes it impossible to parent) or that's one crappy grandma.

• LOL 1
  • Love 16
22 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

Oh and she dropped out of home school (!!!!!!!) because her father was in prison and she was upset that he wouldn't be there to see her graduate. 

You have to be making that up!

• Love 4
(edited)

@Awfarmington, even if they had Section 8 housing assistance in Ohio, it wouldn't have "traveled" with them to Houston. Someone upthread pointed out that they'd have to get on a lonng waiting list to get Section 8 assistance in Houston (that may be true in pretty much any big metro area). I know that Section 8's a federal program, but it's administered locally. EDITED later: See below; I was wrong. It is possible to move and keep a Section 8 voucher - if you do all the proper paperwork, notices, and interviews. I do doubt this family was getting Section 8, if only because of dad's felony drug conviction.

SSI disability (via the US Social Security Administration) benefits would continue no matter what state the recipient moves to. WIC benefits are administered by the states, so if Nicole got those in Ohio, she'd have to cancel her Ohio benefits and reapply in Texas. 

I think their problem in finding a place to rent was the number of people, the number of animals, and perhaps dad's felony conviction. And they could have lacked the required deposit. Shoot, even if a landlord were to agree for a tenant to have, what, four cats and a large dog, the pet deposit alone would be steep. I can't imagine any apartment complex even allowing that many animals in a single apartment anyway. 

Edited by Jeeves
I wuz wrong. Imagine that!! lol!!
  • Love 5
On 3/2/2017 at 5:38 PM, KateHearts said:

My guess would be that a couple of generations ago, there weren't Pop-tarts, 72 types of Doritos in the grocery store, nor were there fast-food outlets on every corner.  I grew up in the 70s and the nearest McDonalds was probably 15 miles from my house.  I can practically spit on one- along with a Taco Bell, Red Robin, Burger King, Chipotle, ChikFilA and Wendy's- from my house today.

I haven't read all the comments yet, but you are right, and also, there wasn't TV 24-7, video games, and computers that keep many kids (and adults) from getting exercise.  Fat + carbs + sedentary life = obesity.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

@Awfarmington, even if they had Section 8 housing assistance in Ohio, it wouldn't have "traveled" with them to Houston. Someone upthread pointed out that they'd have to get on a lonng waiting list to get Section 8 assistance in Houston (that may be true in pretty much any big metro area). I know that Section 8's a federal program, but it's administered locally. 

SSI disability (via the US Social Security Administration) benefits would continue no matter what state the recipient moves to. WIC benefits are administered by the states, so if Nicole got those in Ohio, she'd have to cancel her Ohio benefits and reapply in Texas. 

I think their problem in finding a place to rent was the number of people, the number of animals, and perhaps dad's felony conviction. And they could have lacked the required deposit. Shoot, even if a landlord were to agree for a tenant to have, what, four cats and a large dog, the pet deposit alone would be steep. I can't imagine any apartment complex even allowing that many animals in a single apartment anyway. 

From my understanding, it does actually transfer to another state. 

https://eligibility.com/section-8/moving-while-receiving-housing-choice-section-8-vouchers

But I do agree, they have so many factors against them. I'm not a landlord, however if I was, no way would I rent at any price. 

• Love 2
On 3/2/2017 at 2:34 PM, poeticlicensed said:

Who gets excited about meatloaf??

I love meatloaf. Even when I went out to eat, if meatloaf was on the menu, I'd order it. Now there's no meat in my meatloaf, but beans or TVP. Still love it. And don't get fancy with the topping  - God made meatloaf to hold up the ketchup.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Lesia said:

carbs, no carbs, at 680 pounds, I don't think it even matters!  stop with the soda, stop with the fast food, and how about an apple?  or a juicy piece of watermelon? Has fruit ever crossed these people's lips?  you will not get fat eating fruit and veggies.  Make a huge veggie plate with cukes, grape tomatoes, celery, sugar snap peas, red peppers, dip in hummus, man that's good.  I'll stand at my kitchen counter and stuff myself with that, and then sometimes I can barely finish dinner. 

I'm sorry, but posts like this make me irritable. These people often haven't had exposure to vegetables or fruit...EVER.  It's really easy to come on here and create  scoldy lists of what they *should* eat. Obviously they don't know nor care how to properly care for their physical selves (and usually not their psychological selves, either). They have longstanding, deep seated issues that we can't begin to identify with, so what's the point of listing out what they should eat? 

As for the 'no carb' thing, you really can't eat such a diet...his point is that they need to stop with starches, sugars, potatoes, bread, etc. I'm sure he starts with the basics because these patients - either willingly or because they are uneducated- are clueless and need to learn from scratch. And even with lists, they still have a hard time understanding it (I'm reminded of Shay thinking he was being good by making whole what bread and Nicole chomping on a cob of corn.)

1 hour ago, Hockeymom said:

Up thread it was asked how someone could be so excited about meatloaf. Well, let me tell you, I love it. I entered, and won, a meatloaf contest once. I actually understood Nicole's somewhat orgasmic description of the burger. And frighteningly, I shared her joy at finding individual Lindoor Truffles at the grocery store.

I want your recipe!

<------- meatloaf lover

• Love 8
(edited)
15 minutes ago, Awfarmington said:

https://eligibility.com/section-8/moving-while-receiving-housing-choice-section-8-vouchers

But I do agree, they have so many factors against them. I'm not a landlord, however if I was, no way would I rent at any price. 

Interesting to know. Thanks for the info. 

Edited to add: I sort of doubt they were on Section 8, though. The process to transfer the voucher from state to state requires more attention to detail than this family seemed capable of. And Nicole was sitting in the hotel looking at apartment listings and reading out the rentals, all surprised at the high prices of a 2 bedroom apartment in Houston vs. what she was paying to rent a house in Ohio. Somehow I didn't get the idea they had Section 8 voucher help. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

I haven't read all the comments yet, but you are right, and also, there wasn't TV 24-7, video games, and computers that keep many kids (and adults) from getting exercise.  Fat + carbs + sedentary life = obesity.

Yup. We were out until the street lights turned on. Today's parents are so afraid the kid will get snatched, they never let it leave the house alone. I walked blocks to the store - to get my mom's cigarettes (with a note). I also did a lot of the shopping, pulling a packed cart behind me.  Lots of work (or exercise, depending on how you view it).

• Love 6
(edited)

If you aren't trash and or scammers and or illegally here then it is NOT  tough to get by. Ohh, or a felon. You need to be scumbags like this family to ge everything free, go to jail if you have a ton of dental work done, it's free in jail, can't afford your cell phone and bill..no prob, it's free, rent too expensive..we got ya covered, need to hit Walmart for crap food? We got that too.. Cigs? Yep, food stamps, now debit cards, cover that. Gas money, of course hon, too tough for you to work cuz you're a fat lazy scammer..here's disability..

Do they get benefits? Uhh, yes^^^^

Edited by TicketToHellPaid
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, LeeAnn said:

Another "fun fact" from last night:  Charlie won some kind of soda contest by chugging 70 liters of soda.  Holy hell.

No wonder he has a belly like a basketball. I would bet money that he is diabetic.

• Love 1

I do think you are still correct, though. I don't know if this is bigoted, judgey, or whatever else. But if that family pulled up to look at one of my rentals, we wouldn't have even got to the point of checking employment, background, etc. I know you're not supposed to judge by someone's looks...but I would be judging by someone looks! They are pure trash. And not because of income level, but because of everything else they do. I'm kinda shocked they found anyone willing to rent to them. But who knows, maybe it was an old meth house and they had nothing to lose. 

• Love 6

W

13 minutes ago, Awfarmington said:

I do think you are still correct, though. I don't know if this is bigoted, judgey, or whatever else. But if that family pulled up to look at one of my rentals, we wouldn't have even got to the point of checking employment, background, etc. I know you're not supposed to judge by someone's looks...but I would be judging by someone looks! They are pure trash. And not because of income level, but because of everything else they do. I'm kinda shocked they found anyone willing to rent to them. But who knows, maybe it was an old meth house and they had nothing to lose. 

Was that to me?

21 minutes ago, aliya said:

Yup. We were out until the street lights turned on. Today's parents are so afraid the kid will get snatched, they never let it leave the house alone. I walked blocks to the store - to get my mom's cigarettes (with a note). I also did a lot of the shopping, pulling a packed cart behind me.

I was raised a city girl, and the thing that scares me about my nieces & nephews, and now their kids, is that they have NO traffic smarts as far as being a pedestrian.  They rode school buses, and grew up thinking that traffic stopped when they put a foot on the street, or learned in mall parking lots.
We were taught how to cross a street safely, and to do it at lights or corners where possible.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, AZChristian said:

IIRC, production gives each patient $4,000 for moving and other expenses.  The surgery, etc., are free.  You've got to figure that if they were buying huge meals for all those people, the $4,000 wouldn't last long.  I suspect that a lot of the reason they couldn't find a place to live was that there were 4 adults, 2 kids, 4 cats, a dog . . . and not a job among them.  Be objective.  Would YOU rent to those folks?

Did anyone ever figure out why one of his largest patients was only required to lose 30 pounds the first month, rather than the normal 50 pounds?

Well thank god!  This is news to me, and I am relieved.  So with $4,000 - if they had left the kids, animals and grandparents at home - that would have been do'able.  Phew!  Dr. Now - redeemed. 

51 minutes ago, KateHearts said:

I'm sorry, but posts like this make me irritable. These people often haven't had exposure to vegetables or fruit...EVER.  It's really easy to come on here and create  scoldy lists of what they *should* eat. Obviously they don't know nor care how to properly care for their physical selves (and usually not their psychological selves, either). They have longstanding, deep seated issues that we can't begin to identify with, so what's the point of listing out what they should eat? 

As for the 'no carb' thing, you really can't eat such a diet...his point is that they need to stop with starches, sugars, potatoes, bread, etc. I'm sure he starts with the basics because these patients - either willingly or because they are uneducated- are clueless and need to learn from scratch. And even with lists, they still have a hard time understanding it (I'm reminded of Shay thinking he was being good by making whole what bread and Nicole chomping on a cob of corn.)

I want your recipe!

<------- meatloaf lover

Good points.  I agree that nutrition is a new concept for most of these people.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Awfarmington said:

But you don't go to the top of the line.  And Houston bore the brunt of the refugees from NOLA.  

WIC is far more important to this family.  A benefit I doubt they take full or any advantage of because ................. just because.  Look at the WIC limitations in food options.  Nobody in that family cares a rat's ass about those two little ones who  are already way too heavy.  Yet I continue to read posts about how mommy needs to care for herself or find herself or whatever.  Must be some of her juggalo buddies posting here.  

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Galloway Cave said:
8 hours ago, tpel said:

Why not give them a food list?

I believe he does. He has been shown giving them a stack of papers, he mentions in another episode something about a list of foods and back in the TWoP days, there was discussion about the diet that was handed out. I can't imagine a doctor like him would just kick them out the door saying "NO carbs!" and expect them to know what that means.

I meant a simple food list to get them through the initial stages of the process. Maybe only, say, 20 food options. I'm afraid a stack of papers is overwhelming for some of these patients. After a few weeks, when they are sick of those 20 options, then they can wade through the stack to figure out more. But I see your point: there is a lot of behind the scenes stuff we don't see, and presumably Dr. Now is providing more extensive advice.

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, fonfereksglen said:

But you don't go to the top of the line.  And Houston bore the brunt of the refugees from NOLA.  

WIC is far more important to this family.  A benefit I doubt they take full or any advantage of because ................. just because.  Look at the WIC limitations in food options.  Nobody in that family cares a rat's ass about those two little ones who  are already way too heavy.  Yet I continue to read posts about how mommy needs to care for herself or find herself or whatever.  Must be some of her juggalo buddies posting here.  

Just had another thought. Maybe TLC pulled some strings to get them housing. I'm sure they were running out of money for their hotel stay, and TLC would have a hard time filming them if they were homeless. 

• Love 3
On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 9:47 PM, crazycatlady58 said:

Now I  could not   find  Penny's  but something   ( well a lot of somethings) really  struck a nerve with a lot of people . 

I think the original Penny was before PTV, but here's the link for her Where are they Now.

(edited)

Where to begin? There were so many gems:

1. Nicole is ONLY 23???!!!!!! I'm ten years older than her but how is it possible she looks older than me? I was thinking she was in her early 40s. 

2. The white trash of it all. Living in squalor,  drug use,  swearing,  drinking etc all around those little kids! 

3. The disgusting,  trash bucket meat loaf. What a gourmet meal that was. Nicole really outdid herself. 

4. Charlie the slack jawed yokel: He really proves the saying that there is a lid for every pot.  You can tell he loves Nicole. That's my say something nice for today. 

5.  The parents. Are they from Appalachia?  I mean this in all seriousness. I've done missionary work in Appalachia and they remind me of the families that I met who had little resources. They seemed to be on Hillbilly Heroin. 

6.  Does Nicole actually chew her food?  She ate so fast I wondered if she actually enjoys the food or just enjoys having something to stuff in her mouth. 

7. I call bullshit on her excuse that they couldn't get fresh food while living in the hotel. I take it there are no grocery stores in Houston? Why couldn't they buy some fruit and bring it back to the hotel? Or buy a rotisserie chicken and steam some frozen veggies and minute rice in the microwave? You could buy the chicken,  veggies and rice for less than $20. Doesn't the hotel serve breakfast (which has fruit)? So. Much. Fuckery. within this family. 

Edited by Joe Jitsu913
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9
(edited)
1 hour ago, Joe Jitsu913 said:

3. The disgusting,  trash bucket meat loaf. What a gourmet meal that was. Nicole really outdid herself.

This reminded me of Honey BooBoo's mother and her "sketti".  It's a wonder they don't all keel over after eating it.

ETA - an aside:  After posting this I decided to try some of Mama June's "sketti".  Surprisingly, it tastes like spaghettios.  Who knew?!  But on another note, I don't think I'll be trying Nicole's meatloaf.  Too scared!  LOL!

Edited by swankie
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, Joe Jitsu913 said:

Remember how we were all skeeved out by Penny's toilet-bed deli counter? And now her comes Nicole making that whole scene seem actually sanitary and quaint. 

8 hours ago, Joe Jitsu913 said:

7. I call bullshit on her excuse that they couldn't get fresh food while living in the hotel. I take it there are no grocery stores in Houston? Why couldn't they buy some fruit and bring it back to the hotel? Or buy a rotisserie chicken and steam some frozen veggies and minute rice in the microwave? You could buy the chicken,  veggies and rice for less than $20. Doesn't the hotel serve breakfast (which has fruit)? So. Much. Fuckery. within this family. 

Read my previous post. Of course they could have done those things. Are we dealing with logical, reasonable and educated people?  No. What you're doing is like telling a meth head on Intervention, "just stop! Hang out with clean people instead!"

• Love 9
13 hours ago, gardendiva said:

Not to beat a dead horse, but with the carb issue, I think some of these patients are not very good at understanding what they read when Dr. now gives them diet directions. They see corn and think "vegetable" instead of very carby starch. They see a gallon jug of red juice and think "it is juice so it is healthier than pop". 

Whatever instruction they may receive about nutrition probably assumes a certain level of knowledge that many of these folks do not have. They need to start at square one when they explain how and what to eat and leave nothing to guesswork.

Having been on many doctors' diets myself over the years,  I can say that they hand you a list of what you can eat and what you can't eat. There is nothing to interpret, in my opinion.    If you can read, you can understand it.  These people do not stick to the diet because they don't want to stick to the diet. I never got up to 600 pounds, my highest was 210 and I'm 5'5.   I am a food addict myself, and it has taken me years to get a handle on it. So I know BS when I hear it. Miss Nicole knew exactly what the doctor expected of her but, unfortunately, * her family made her eat what she wanted instead of what she should have eaten. *  That last part of the last sentence was said with a great deal of SARCASM.  

Even with the happy ending, she does not come off to me as someone who will be successful long-term. She never hit her bottom,  in my opinion.  Throughout, she came off to me as someone doing this to be on TV and not for her children as she claimed over and over again.   Even if she couldn't physically take care of those kids, she could have given them attention and gave them none. So I don't buy the motivation. 

• Love 15

I finally got around to watching the last hour of the show.  I think Insane Clown Posse should cut Nicole a check for all the exposure that she gave them!  I had no idea that ICP was still around, much less a "thing."  I thought they went away with the Y2K debacle that wasn't.  I don't get out much though.

As far as the mother taking the kids back to Ohio--BAD IDEA!  You don't let people who express their resentment about raising your kids RAISE YOUR KIDS!  I didn't see any reason why Nicole and Charlie couldn't raise them, especially since as Nicole lost weight, she gained mobility, and nothing gives you a better workout than chasing toddlers!  Besides, those kids seemed tame, like they were used to being ignored and yelled at.  They seemed very quiet for toddlers.  My kids were hellions when they were that age.  

Oh, and staged or not, you never EVER leave a toddler in a tub when not in reach of an adult.  NOT EVEN FOR A SECOND!  Many kids have drown while the mom leaves for a second to pick up a ringing phone.

• Love 11
18 hours ago, Lesia said:

carbs, no carbs, at 680 pounds, I don't think it even matters!  stop with the soda, stop with the fast food, and how about an apple?  or a juicy piece of watermelon? Has fruit ever crossed these people's lips?  you will not get fat eating fruit and veggies.  Make a huge veggie plate with cukes, grape tomatoes, celery, sugar snap peas, red peppers, dip in hummus, man that's good.  I'll stand at my kitchen counter and stuff myself with that, and then sometimes I can barely finish dinner. 

Most of these people have diabetes, or at the very least, insulin resistance. Those foods must be limited (in the case of fruit, eliminated) so as to keep blood sugars in a range that will not lead to amputations, blindness and dialysis. Recent studies have shown that even blood sugars in the low 100s, which is considered the high side of "normal" are actually high enough to start causing early diabetic complications. 

These people should definitely be cutting out the crappy processed and sugary foods, but replacing them with fruits is like telling a person to switch from unfiltered cigarettes to filtered because it's healthier. The whole "but the sugar from fruit is okay because of the fiber" is just an excuse - ask a diabetic to test their blood sugar after eating a piece of fruit - I guarantee their blood sugars are going to go way past 120.  There's a reason why fruit is called nature's candy.  And hummus is made from chick peas, which are also high in carbs. This is why Dr. Now tells them "no carbs".  If you are metabolically healthy you may be able to get away with eating fruits and legumes on a regular basis, but these people are FAR from being metabolically healthy.

• Love 11
18 hours ago, TicketToHellPaid said:

They also do not know that you put sheets on your dirty stained mattresses, no sheets at all.

That is the WORST. Why don't these trashy people use sheets?? It is so disgusting. Those poor babies sleeping on a bare mattress. Terrible. 

• Love 5
41 minutes ago, flappa1016 said:

Most of these people have diabetes, or at the very least, insulin resistance. Those foods must be limited (in the case of fruit, eliminated) so as to keep blood sugars in a range that will not lead to amputations, blindness and dialysis. Recent studies have shown that even blood sugars in the low 100s, which is considered the high side of "normal" are actually high enough to start causing early diabetic complications. 

Saying that all diabetics can't have fruit is wrong. And although there is sugar (treated similarly by the body to table sugar) in fruits, there are also nutrients and yes, fiber, which can help counteract the glucose spikes that can occur from eating it.  It's also been noted that refined carbohydrate (white flour, etc) can even more adversely affect blood sugar levels than fruit or beans (which you mention, flappa1016). Beans have nutritional value, and while I agree they probably aren't allowed in the first phase of dr. Now's weight loss plan, they don't need to be banned from a diabetic diet.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, notyrmomma said:

Oh, and staged or not, you never EVER leave a toddler in a tub when not in reach of an adult.  NOT EVEN FOR A SECOND!  Many kids have drown while the mom leaves for a second to pick up a ringing phone.

I said the exact same thing. Nicole couldn't stand her ass there until her mother came and got him out that tub? How did he get in there? B/c the mother yelled to say he was in the tub .  .  . so she just left him in there by himself? 

• Love 3
14 hours ago, auntjess said:

I was raised a city girl, and the thing that scares me about my nieces & nephews, and now their kids, is that they have NO traffic smarts as far as being a pedestrian.  They rode school buses, and grew up thinking that traffic stopped when they put a foot on the street, or learned in mall parking lots.
We were taught how to cross a street safely, and to do it at lights or corners where possible.

No kidding. I live in a college town in flyover country now. I avoid driving around campus because the students are just so mindless. I think some come from small towns where there's no public transportation and they don't know how to walk around traffic. Or, they have their heads down, glued to the darned smart phone, and don't look around at the traffic. That more of them aren't killed by drivers who've just had enough of them is a constant surprise to me.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, KateHearts said:

I am right with you on this Katehearts! She is nearly 700 pounds at age 23! Anyway woman who gets herself up to 400 pounds and then adds another 300 pounds on top of that, has deep-seated issues, and a extremely warped view of food that we can't even begin to understand. Someone like that is not going to go buy some cucumbers and be happy about it. I overeat, I binge eat, I love sugar and junk food I emotional and stress eat and I battle my weight.  But I would never compare my food issues with the people on this show.  I got to a certain point- about 30 pounds over weight- where I hated myself and realized I had to change.  I can't imagine if I got up to 100 pounds overweight. I can't imagine getting to 300 pounds and didnt think about surgery at that point. Then getting to 400 I still didn't think about surgery or change.  And then to 500 and then to 600 and then to 700 and then said I might need to take action now because I can't fit through the bathroom door nor get up to get my own potato chips nor care for my kids nor get out of bed....I understand how someone can find themselves weighing between 300-400 pounds but I cannot understand 600-700 pounds.

• Love 9
(edited)
13 minutes ago, Samantha84 said:

I said the exact same thing. Nicole couldn't stand her ass there until her mother came and got him out that tub? How did he get in there? B/c the mother yelled to say he was in the tub .  .  . so she just left him in there by himself? 

It doesn't matter whether Nicole was standing there or not, if he was actively drowning, all she could do was stand there and watch.  She couldn't reach him because she couldn't fit through the door.

ETA: you can't plop a child under 5 in a bath and go in another room to watch TV.  You have to stay in arm's reach and paying attention at all times.  Sad.  Bath time was usually the most fun times with my kids...we would sing, repeat nursery rhymes, and laugh--but smart phones weren't a thing when my kids were babies.

Edited by notyrmomma
  • Love 7
4 minutes ago, notyrmomma said:

It doesn't matter whether Nicole was standing there or not, if he was actively drowning, all she could do was stand there and watch.  She couldn't reach him because she couldn't fit through the door.

Right. That would really be a "cross the line" wake up moment for most of us.

But, I suppose she can bathe her kids in that same dirty trash can, so it isn't QUITE an emergency yet.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, notyrmomma said:

I finally got around to watching the last hour of the show.  I think Insane Clown Posse should cut Nicole a check for all the exposure that she gave them!  I had no idea that ICP was still around, much less a "thing."  I thought they went away with the Y2K debacle that wasn't.  I don't get out much though.

As far as the mother taking the kids back to Ohio--BAD IDEA!  You don't let people who express their resentment about raising your kids RAISE YOUR KIDS!  I didn't see any reason why Nicole and Charlie couldn't raise them, especially since as Nicole lost weight, she gained mobility, and nothing gives you a better workout than chasing toddlers!  Besides, those kids seemed tame, like they were used to being ignored and yelled at.  They seemed very quiet for toddlers.  My kids were hellions when they were that age.  

Geez notyrmamma I was too horrified watching the other details of this show to notice that those dear children were going back to Ohio with the grandparents. I thought that when she had the heart-to-heart with her mom about her and Charlie staying in Houston and the grandparents going back to Ohio she meant only the grandparents and that she and Charlie would stay there with the kids. Did I misunderstand that?

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, operalover said:

I am right with you on this Katehearts! She is nearly 700 pounds at age 23! Anyway woman who gets herself up to 400 pounds and then adds another 300 pounds on top of that, has deep-seated issues, and a extremely warped view of food that we can't even begin to understand. Someone like that is not going to go buy some cucumbers and be happy about it.

Exactly. I too am kind of amazed by the "why not just eat vegetables and vinegar?" crowd. I mean, yes, if their food issues were just about cramming *anything* down, that might help, but they are addicted to fat, sugar, and salt. It'd be like telling someone who chews tobacco "just switch to chewing blades of grass!" It's not about the chewing. It's about WHAT they're chewing. It's about what's IN what they're chewing.

• Love 16
(edited)
4 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

Exactly. I too am kind of amazed by the "why not just eat vegetables and vinegar?" crowd. I mean, yes, if their food issues were just about cramming *anything* down, that might help, but they are addicted to fat, sugar, and salt. It'd be like telling someone who chews tobacco "just switch to chewing blades of grass!" It's not about the chewing. It's about WHAT they're chewing. It's about what's IN what they're chewing.

"Why not just eat vegetables and vinegar? crowd" is officially my favorite phrase of the week. Now I just have to find an occasion to use it . . .

Edited by Jeeves
formatting
  • Love 11
Just now, Jeeves said:

"Why not just eat vegetables and vinegar? crowd" is officially my favorite phrase of the week. Now I just have to find an occasion to use it . . .

Sounds like the battle cry of the pro-ana movement! ;)

• Love 6
1 hour ago, KateHearts said:

Saying that all diabetics can't have fruit is wrong. And although there is sugar (treated similarly by the body to table sugar) in fruits, there are also nutrients and yes, fiber, which can help counteract the glucose spikes that can occur from eating it.  It's also been noted that refined carbohydrate (white flour, etc) can even more adversely affect blood sugar levels than fruit or beans (which you mention, flappa1016). Beans have nutritional value, and while I agree they probably aren't allowed in the first phase of dr. Now's weight loss plan, they don't need to be banned from a diabetic diet.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this issue. I live with 2 diabetics, who test 4 to 6 times a day. Neither the insulin dependent diabetic nor the diabetic controlling his diabetes thru diet alone in my house can maintain blood sugars under 120 by eating fruits or legumes. The last time my father-in-law ate an Apple, his blood sugar shot up to 253. So much for the "benefits" of fiber. I belong to the school of thought that diabetes is considered a progressive disease only because the ADA promotes the myth that diabetics can eat anything they want because they can pop a pill or shoot insulin to cover it. In the low carb high fat community we refer to the former spokesperson for the ADA, Hope "Carb Up and Shoot Up" Warshaw. She is reviled in the low carb diabetic world. It's like telling a person with a nut allergy it's okay to eat nuts in moderation so long as you keep the epi pen handy. Diabetics deserve the same blood sugar levels as non-diabetics, which is impossible to do by eating grains, legumes or sugars in any form.

• Love 9
On 3/3/2017 at 3:20 PM, Cherrio said:

very active in this disgusting juggalo life

what exactly does that mean, to be active in it?  ONLY from this forum do I even know what a juggalo is, but what does the "life" entail?  I'm glad I'm old. 

• Love 10
3 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Honestly,  I understand how Nicole was addicted to fast food. I was addicted it for many years but eventually grew out of it by wanting to make healthier choices. I have weight and body image issues as well. I'm overweight but I make an effort to work out,  eat fruits and veggies and retrain my brain to not want fast food 24/7. If Nicole was serious about making an effort to eat healthy,  she would have done so by taking baby steps. Start out with no soda...then smaller portions,  no French fries etc. It's a process. Did they ever show her eating healthy at all during her weight loss? 

• Love 2

I can't understand how she can't squeeze through the bathroom door but can sit in the front seat of a car. And why just the bathroom door? Was it a weird non-standard size? Because apparently she was OK with the Houston bathrooms. Of course, everything's bigger in Texas ;)

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Granny58 said:

what exactly does that mean, to be active in it?  ONLY from this forum do I even know what a juggalo is, but what does the "life" entail?  I'm glad I'm old. 

I'm so sorry I know a little about Juggalo and Juggalet.  I had a student several years ago who enlightened me and it's kind of like a fraternity for people who listen to Insane Clown Posse and hold a big gathering every year where anything goes. The women go topless, they all paint their faces like clowns, are drunk/ drugged/wild and drink Faygo orange drink.... with little kids there.  A real family event. It's all on YouTube and you can just imagine Charlie and Nicole (topless) with clown faces.  

• Love 3
5 hours ago, flappa1016 said:

Diabetics deserve the same blood sugar levels as non-diabetics, which is impossible to do by eating grains, legumes or sugars in any form.

While that's a worthy goal, it's usually not realistic for most diabetics.  Goal glucose levels are generally going to be somewhat higher for diabetics vs. non-diabetics.  And your personal observations aren't science; it may be true for your father in law that fruit wanks up his blood sugar... my stepdad had the same effect from pasta but not fruit.  It's clear that you espouse the low carb approach- that's fine. Just don't apply a "one-size-fits-fall" attitude towards a very complex disease.  And let me add, I am a medical provider, and have never heard of anyone who stands by the "eat what you want and then shoot up your insulin" treatment method.

• Love 7
9 minutes ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

I can't understand how she can't squeeze through the bathroom door but can sit in the front seat of a car. And why just the bathroom door? Was it a weird non-standard size? Because apparently she was OK with the Houston bathrooms. Of course, everything's bigger in Texas ;)

It almost looked like their house in Ohio was a double-wide.  Metal trim around the bathroom door, wall material, etc.  

• Love 1

I had Brussel Sprouts and ACV with my pork roast for dinner. Am I officially part of the vegetable and vinegar crowd? In regards to the diabetic thing and fruit. I have tight control over my Type 2 and I can eat raspberries and pears but not much other fruit and maintain control (Fasting <90 and post <120). I find in my case my levels are directly related to the amount of calories I eat, yes carbs(sugar) consumption matters but calories really create issues for me. I will say the my dietitian at my endo's office does not think I eat enough carbs (not sure what that means) I don't listen to her I listen to my body.

I recently had surgery and was off oral meds for 24 hours , when I got out of surgery the first thing I was given was Italian Ice (it was late and the kitchen was closed). I was hungry and thirsty and wanted something so I ate it. Blood sugar was then 300. Next morning they bring French Toast w/ OJ and sugar free syrup. When I told them I was diabetic they said this is the carb restricted meal. I had a hard boiled egg and some ham instead, blood sugar 250. I told nurse I needed to eat a balanced meal and drink water or it would go up and she said that's not true. It is, look up "Dawn Phenomenon". She said she would give my some insulin, I am non insulin dependent just give me real food! I begged to leave the hospital, I told my surgeon they were trying to kill me. I was supposed to stay 2 days and was out of there the morning after surgery because I could walk on my crutches, peed and my mom is a nurse. The ignorance of what food does to people is rampant even among those who should know. 

PSA- If you are diabetic and have peripheral neuropathy look up Charcot Neuroarthropathy. No one ever told me about this horrific disease until it destroyed my left foot. It is often misdiagnosed.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Joe Jitsu913 said:

Start out with no soda...

As I've said before, I know it's supposedly unhealthy, but as much as a lot of these people drink, switching to diet soda would save almost 800 calories for every 2-liter bottle and 220 grams of carbs.  Haven't some of these people said they drink several 2 liter bottles a day?
I'm a diet Coke fan, and I think they'd soon find regular Coke tasting too sweet.

• Love 5