Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E09: Nicole's Story

Azubah
  • Start Topic

I found that lip piercing to be even more annoying than her whining and failure to take responsibility for eating herself into that condition that affected the lives of her whole family.  Why in hell did she consider that lip piercing attractive.  It is distracting and disgusting.  Her mouth breathing boyfriend also came off as "a little slow". 

• Love 9

I watched the Supersized (yes, a horrible name) version of this episode tonight just for the Charlie moments. Dude was wearing a T-shirt that said "Exercise? I thought you said extra fries!" Anyone else notice that?

• Love 9

I always forget the name of it, but the popups said that Jaden was born robbed of all his bloodsugar by his mom...that's how I was born too, my mom developed gestational diabetes when I was in there. I came out a full month early and they had to give me a transfusion through a vein in my scalp, and apparently someone bumped my table during it and now I have a big scar on the left side of my head. My mom used to say she would have sued the hospital if I had been a boy because boys have to have short hair but as a girl I could always wear my hair long and cover it. That always annoyed me. Well here I sit in my short boy hair and I don't care if people see the bald spot, lol. Take that, mom.

Ha ha sorry that was random.

• Love 21

Well, here's a tidbit we can all enjoy.  Apparently she calls herself a "Juggalette."  Looking this up, I found this definition;

juggalo 

For the most part, an uneducated, pathetic excuse for a human being who listens to the group ICP who are bold enough to actually consider themselves musicians. People you see wearing "hatchet-man" accesories. They should not be allowed to reproduce, because that is too cruel to future generations. ICP isn't rap, it isn't metal, it isn't rap/metal, and it isn't horrorpop. There is only one way to properly categorize ICP; unnecessarily and unartfully offensive and obnoxious noise.

That juggalo is stupid enough to think that ICP is music.

#juggalo #juggalette #icp #insane clown posse #wicked clowns #shit #terrible

I think this pretty much defines the whole family...................

Nicole does have a Facebook fan page that I'm assuming is public--this is her invitation;

If you wanna follow my journey of please go to my fan page and click the like button so you can keep up :) https://www.facebook.com/Nicole-Lewis-My-600lb-Life-143685…/

• Love 7
13 hours ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Pepper Mostly your post is so true. It always fascinates me that from show to show we see many of them eating inhaling the same shit over and over and over again: fast food burgers/cheeseburgers, tacos/burritos, pizza, and the like, all washed down with gallons of soda. They don't even go for a more upscale version of those things for their last, pre-Dr. Now eat-a-thon. I mean, Taco Bell is NOT Mexican food!

Which got me to wondering about what everyone else's "last meal" would be before going on a diet? It changes all the time for me, but since I've been low carbing it for the last few months, right now I'd like a hot, buttery loaf of garlic bread, a giant, very upscale bowl of cioppino washed down with a bottle of Prosecco and couple of cannolis and chocolate gelato for dessert.

How about the rest of you?

I had the sleeve done in Sept 2014. My "last meal" was a humongous gourmet bacon and blue cheese burger from Grand Lux Cafe with a dessert of a whole slice of red velvet cake (last meal before I started the two-week liquid fast.  Funny story - I did perfectly on the liquid fast up until the very night before my surgery where I ate one chicken wing...and I LIED about it the next day during pre-op, I was so scared that they were going to be able to see it in my stomach when they did surgery, but of course, it was long gone by then. LOL).  It's not that I'm food snob as I really love my burgers and junk food, but I just can't stand fast food, especially McDonalds.  This was true even when I was 318 pounds.  If I did eat at McDonalds, I always felt hungry immediately afterwards, its like they put some chemical in their food to make you want more.  And don't get me started on how much that crap costs...if I'm going to spend $8 on a value meal at McDonalds, I would rather go to Chilis and pay nearly the same price (except you have to tip) and sit down and eat my food like a human.

And please don't say she's too self conscious to eat in public.  I think any smidgen of self consciousness went out the window with this chick the moment she stopped fitting into the bathroom and had to be hosed down...IN OHIO... (by the way, what would she have done if that baby was actually drowning in that tub?  That scared the hell out of me.  That baby way way too young to be in tub without an adult in arm's reach...I sat through my kids' baths well into the year they started 1st grade).

What I am shocked at is that they didn't stop at any of the truck stop buffets on their road trip to Houston, especially since the dad was a former truck driver.  My husband is a former truck driver too and we would always hit up the buffet when on road trips, I believe it was the Flying J (or it could have been Pilot, I don't remember, its been a while).  Notice they never show these people going to a buffet....ATTN PRODUCERS: take these people to the Golden Corral or one of the plentiful Chinese buffets...now there's some entertainment! (and I bet it works out to be cheaper than visiting several different fast food places like Nicole did).

• Love 10
7 hours ago, 4leafclover said:

Well, here's a tidbit we can all enjoy.  Apparently she calls herself a "Juggalette."  Looking this up, I found this definition;

juggalo 

For the most part, an uneducated, pathetic excuse for a human being who listens to the group ICP who are bold enough to actually consider themselves musicians. People you see wearing "hatchet-man" accesories. They should not be allowed to reproduce, because that is too cruel to future generations. ICP isn't rap, it isn't metal, it isn't rap/metal, and it isn't horrorpop. There is only one way to properly categorize ICP; unnecessarily and unartfully offensive and obnoxious noise.

Nicole does have a Facebook fan page that I'm assuming is public--this is her invitation;

If you wanna follow my journey of please go to my fan page and click the like button so you can keep up :) https://www.facebook.com/Nicole-Lewis-My-600lb-Life-143685…/

Just to further this a bit, locally, we had three ICP fans get so wasted last year, that the two guys got the girl to agree to let them lop off one of her fingers!  Seriously. 

• Love 4

I like Nicole. She is strong-minded and lives in reality. She always knew she was using food to cope, she wasn't delusional about that, and once she decided her kids were worth living for, she committed to going to doing whatever was necessary, including going to therapy and "breaking up with" the grocery store. That is maturity, that is progress.

Her family isn't her fault. I think she is more functional and sensible than her parents, and has a great chance to be a success, in part due to support from Charlie. I can understand why initially she didn't take responsibility - outside therapy, how else do you draw attention to the failure of your parents? But once she was in therapy, she was able to take responsibility.

I also like Charlie. He genuinely cares for Nicole, and is responsible. Hopefully he comes from a more functional family and can weather the ups and downs of a relationship with Nicole as she goes through her changes. He doesn't have to be everything to her. She can have other friends.

If Nicole stays in therapy and focuses on herself, she can break out of the family dysfunction and make something of herself. I'm rooting for her.

• Love 12
(edited)

I believe they said the baby had a major sugar crash not because of gestational diabetes but because all Ms. Juggagross ate was sugar during the pregnancy.

They have 3 different last names for the 4 of them.

Darlene's page is still public on FB as well as Nicole's being public still.

eta, if you find one then you can easily find the other 2, I didn't bother looking for the dad, not sure if they have FB in prison.

Do you guys realize they had a drug raid during this show?! Unbelievable! And there's the kids, walking over broken glass and topple furniture..yep..everyday life for this family.

Edited by TicketToHellPaid
Add
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Which got me to wondering about what everyone else's "last meal" would be before going on a diet? It changes all the time for me, but since I've been low carbing it for the last few months, right now I'd like a hot, buttery loaf of garlic bread, a giant, very upscale bowl of cioppino washed down with a bottle of Prosecco and couple of cannolis and chocolate gelato for dessert.

How about the rest of you?

It changes for me, too, but yours sounds great! I think mine would involve really good, crispy, buttery baklava for dessert, at least. 

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, TicketToHellPaid said:

I believe they said the baby had a major sugar crash not because of gestational diabetes but because all Ms. Juggagross ate was sugar during the pregnancy.

eta, if you find one then you can easily find the other 2, I didn't bother looking for the dad, not sure if they have FB in prison.

Do you guys realize they had a drug raid during this show?! Unbelievable! And there's the kids, walking over broken glass and topple furniture..yep..everyday life for this family.

(edited)

I don't know if the "break-up talk" with food was Nicole's idea or her therapist's, but I am thinking that carbs and I need to have a heart-to-heart in the near future!

Edited by IOU Payne
  • Love 4

This was a hard-core drug raid.  They weren't just looking for marijuana.  I've seen comments on what would or would not get the kids removed.   This should have done it.  And when you're asked to raise your stomach so they can look for drugs and question what the white powder is all over your belly, that should be a major wake-up call to get your act together and do what you can 100% to take care of yourself and your children.

• Love 20
10 hours ago, MSMITHRIV said:

I found that lip piercing to be even more annoying than her whining and failure to take responsibility for eating herself into that condition that affected the lives of her whole family.  Why in hell did she consider that lip piercing attractive.

I couldn't stand looking at that gigantic keloid under the one piercing. That thing will be there forever if she ever decides to stop wearing the piercings.

My last meal? All chocolate.

As much as she kept whining about the stress at home and how her family kept forcing her to eat bad food, it was so not worth staying around her parents and their drugging ways (and police raid) just to have babysitters. Move into a studio apartment with Mouthbreather and the kids, live on her WIC and Mouthbreather's income and be done with it.

• Love 3

And I just don't understand the no carbs.  Even lettuce has carbs.  But then they end up eating Jello after the surgery.  What?   

I'll reply to myself before someone else does.  I just looked on my sugar free jello and it has no carbs. 

This damn show.  Things I cant unsee:  that dirty bucket Nicole "washed" her hands in, the lip studs, grocery shopping is romantic, getting hosed off on the back porch. BTW....was soap used?  I didnt see any soap.  That meat loaf was a sight to behold.....  I totally believe that if the camera wasnt there should would have mixed the meat/cheezit/sauce combo with her hands and wiped her hands on the couch afterwards.  Who can eat potato chips the second they open their eyes in the morning?  Maybe when I was 20 years old I could have done this but if I were to do something like that now, the whole day would be pukey/heartburn city for me.  Not to mention...eating in the morning before brushing my teeth would make me gag.    I know there is somebody for everybody but when Charlie said all he could see was Nicole's baby blue eyes......I wanted to tell me more.  What happened to him in his life that a 600+ pound person whom he hoses off in the backyard is beautiful.  

• Love 9
47 minutes ago, LeeAnn said:

And I just don't understand the no carbs.  Even lettuce has carbs.  But then they end up eating Jello after the surgery.  What?   

I'll reply to myself before someone else does.  I just looked on my sugar free jello and it has no carbs. 

It is kind of impossible to eat zero carbs. Even the ultra low carb ketogenic diet allows 20g carbs daily. The reason why Dr. Now restricts carbs is because most foods containing carbs have an insulin response in the body which makes you store those calories as fat. Lettuce and other non starchy vegetables have a few carbs, but those foods do not trigger an insulin spike, and therefore are acceptable to eat on his diet. "No" carbs is kind of a misnomer. It should really be viewed as a severely restricted carb intake, but that sounds more complicated, I am guessing.

• Love 15
1 hour ago, LeeAnn said:

This was a hard-core drug raid.  They weren't just looking for marijuana.  I've seen comments on what would or would not get the kids removed.   This should have done it.  And when you're asked to raise your stomach so they can look for drugs and question what the white powder is all over your belly, that should be a major wake-up call to get your act together and do what you can 100% to take care of yourself and your children.

I wish they would have shown the raid - a crossover show with one of the reality detective shows.  Now that would have been interesting watching esp them searching  her stomach folds.  That had to be a first with law enforcement. It would be interesting to see what &how much they found.

I'm still trying to figure out the place Charlie proposed to her at.  Looked like a restaurant but no one there.  We didn't see any other patrons or restaurant staff nor were the tables set.  Just a few candles. Weird. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, 4leafclover said:

juggalo 

Thank you for posting this. I had no idea what a "Juggalo" was.. I kept seeing people talking about it on twitter. 

• Love 4

Does anyone know how much Nicole (or any of the subjects) get paid by TLC to participate in the show??  I thought the show would pay for lodging and different other expenses during the course of filming, but after seeing all the difficulties the families have getting housing and meeting other basic expenses that doesn't seem to be the case.  What other incentive( other than $$$0 would prompt any of them to suffer the gross humiliations involved in shooting?  As for paying for the surgery, I don't think TLC has to cover that cost.  I would assume either medicare/medicaid/other insurance would certainly cover in cases of such morbid obesity.  Without a big payday not sure why anyone would participate.  Of course I understand there's a big payday for Dr. Now and the production people but, hey, there wouldn't be a show without the subjects, right???  Please enlighten me if anyone knows...

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

I wish they would have shown the raid - a crossover show with one of the reality detective shows.  Now that would have been interesting watching esp them searching  her stomach folds.  That had to be a first with law enforcement. It would be interesting to see what &how much they found.

I'm still trying to figure out the place Charlie proposed to her at.  Looked like a restaurant but no one there.  We didn't see any other patrons or restaurant staff nor were the tables set.  Just a few candles. Weird. 

Maybe interesting to watch, but it's never fun searching peoples' folds. Not only can drugs be hidden in there, but some people are able to hide firearms within their folds. 

I'm also interested to know what was found. I think there's more to the story than the dad was letting on--he was acting like he didn't know but, usually they do. 

• Love 1
On 3/2/2017 at 10:30 AM, xwordfanatik said:

I had a coworker that used smashed-up fried pork rinds.  He said that way, he avoided carbs.  I just thought it sounded weird.

Crushed up pork rinds are a very popular substitute for bread crumbs in low carb recipes. I've tried it a few times, but it's not for me - tho many people love subbing pork rinds for crumbs. I prefer using almond flour or coconut flour - a bit more carbs than pork rinds, but a better binder and better texture.

• Love 3

That was such an unintentionally funny episode that I had to comment. When they stopped for food on the way to Texas, I genuinely thought that the McDonald's was for Charlie and kids because he asked Nicole if she wanted a sub. I thought, "Oh, she's going to get something healthier at Subway so she can get a head-start on her diet." I actually laughed when she ate the burger and fries while waiting for the sub! I thought maybe she would save it for later, because it seemed like a huge inconvenience to them to stop. But then she ate half of a 6-inch in one bite. The part when they're barreling down the highway and Nicole is yelling, then immediately whips out a box of fried chicken or something to calm herself down. Omg. She and her boyfriend sounded like two little kids when they communicated... "Shut up!" "Quit it dude!!" I'm surprised their cats didn't die from being stuffed in a hot car. I feel bad for those two kids who are too young to even know what's happening, but you can tell all of the yelling and fighting is stressful to them, even if it's not directed at them.

• Love 11

Yeah, I was wondering about that "no carbs" thing, too. As a vegetarian, I don't think I could survive on a no-carb diet, since vegetarian protein sources -- like tofu and beans -- have some carbs (the latter more than the former). Of course, there probably aren't that many 600-pound vegetarians  . . .

I can see why Dr. Now might say "no carb" when he means "very low carb" for the sake of simplicity, but that makes me wonder why he doesn't go a step further, particularly for families such as Nicole's who are clearly overwhelmed. Why not give them a food list? If it is on the list you can eat it, if not, don't. Or even pre-planned daily menus with a few choices? True, the more functional patients might benefit from figuring this out for themselves, but for someone like Nicole, it might short-circuit some of her excuses.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Runnergirl said:

I'm also interested to know what was found. I think there's more to the story than the dad was letting on--he was acting like he didn't know but, usually they do. 

Considering the "super-sized" episode mentioned he was in prison (which explained his absence from Nicole's hospital room which I'm sure she knew all about but refused to say), I'd venture a guess he might have been implicated on the charges from that raid. 

1 hour ago, vicegrip said:

The part when they're barreling down the highway and Nicole is yelling, then immediately

I FORGOT THAT!  She said "why are you going 90?"  90!!!!!!   with the kids in the back.   

22 minutes ago, tpel said:

ity, but that makes me wonder why he doesn't go a step further,

actually, I was surprised by him this episode.  I truly thought the TLC and/or Dr. Now had more involvement in these patients outside of the office.  If he's going to get the notoriety and undoubtedly paycheck (his son produces too, doesn't he?) it is careless not to have more accommodations in place for these travelers.  there could be a couple of apartments specifically for show participants to use....and that way they would be able to stock the fridge and cook at home.   They endure humiliation (being shown showering on the porch for cripes sake) for HIS show...they should get more assistance.  

• Love 5

Question: if you know you're going on the show, why don't you start the diet ahead of time, since you know it will be no carbs and protein and getting up and moving a bit. Or, is that a production conceit, so we get the footage of the grocery store shop and the bathing shot and the stuffing food in your mouth shot.

It always kills me that they are driving to Houston, are too big to get in and out of the car sometimes, and are STILL stopping for multiple fast food meals, with no attempt at portion control. And their enablers help them get the food.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, Granny58 said:

I FORGOT THAT!  She said "why are you going 90?"  90!!!!!!   with the kids in the back.   

actually, I was surprised by him this episode.  I truly thought the TLC and/or Dr. Now had more involvement in these patients outside of the office.  If he's going to get the notoriety and undoubtedly paycheck (his son produces too, doesn't he?) it is careless not to have more accommodations in place for these travelers.  there could be a couple of apartments specifically for show participants to use....and that way they would be able to stock the fridge and cook at home.   They endure humiliation (being shown showering on the porch for cripes sake) for HIS show...they should get more assistance.  

IIRC, production gives each patient $4,000 for moving and other expenses.  The surgery, etc., are free.  You've got to figure that if they were buying huge meals for all those people, the $4,000 wouldn't last long.  I suspect that a lot of the reason they couldn't find a place to live was that there were 4 adults, 2 kids, 4 cats, a dog . . . and not a job among them.  Be objective.  Would YOU rent to those folks?

Did anyone ever figure out why one of his largest patients was only required to lose 30 pounds the first month, rather than the normal 50 pounds?

• Love 5
21 minutes ago, Granny58 said:

I don't know anything, of course, but my first thought was that some of these folks may insist on getting their own accommodations so they don't have to change their lifestyles. As in, Nicole's family. IYKWIM.

On March 2, 2017 at 0:20 PM, mmecorday said:

In Nicole's honor today, I purchased a sandwich from Subway, took a few bites out of it then had a fit and threw it around my car.

This made me laugh loudly! Did you go to the next drive thru and get a big 'ole cheeseburger and giant coke? ?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, tpel said:

Why not give them a food list? ...Or even pre-planned daily menus with a few choices?

I would think they are provided with lots of detailed handouts; it's just not shown.  (I've heard Dr. Now ask patients if they read the information he gave them. ) If they talked about nutrition and menus, we couldn't be treated to trips to McDonald's and Houston, and the back-porch bathing.  :)

• Love 5
1 hour ago, tpel said:

Why not give them a food list?

I believe he does. He has been shown giving them a stack of papers, he mentions in another episode something about a list of foods and back in the TWoP days, there was discussion about the diet that was handed out. I can't imagine a doctor like him would just kick them out the door saying "NO carbs!" and expect them to know what that means. According to Melissa, one of the first patients, there is a lot more to his process than is shown in the show. She eventually went to work for him.

• Love 6
On 3/2/2017 at 1:41 PM, atiyah9369 said:

That bucket/Trashcan was FILTHY!!!!!

When I first saw that trash can I was like, "What the what now???"  I truly thought she was going to use the trash can to mix the meatloaf and I just about gagged at the thought of it. 

On the topic of too much processed and fast foods in the diet nowadays, did anyone see the study released this week about millenials being twice as likely to develop colon cancer in their 20s and 30s, and four times as likely to develop rectal cancer?  There is no doubt in my mind it's because very few people actually cook meals using whole foods anymore. Everything comes from a box or fast food restaurant, and the effects of a few decades of shitty food choices is manifesting itself by creating diseases that would normally take 40 to 50 years to crop up. My grandma, who was born in 1910, was one of 12 children, and at least 4 or 5 of them developed colon cancer, but not until their late 60s or early 70s, and that was well before colon cancer screening was commonly available. Mind boggling that young adults are succumbing to this disease.

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

IIRC, production gives each patient $4,000 for moving and other expenses.  The surgery, etc., are free.  You've got to figure that if they were buying huge meals for all those people, the $4,000 wouldn't last long.  I suspect that a lot of the reason they couldn't find a place to live was that there were 4 adults, 2 kids, 4 cats, a dog . . . and not a job among them.  Be objective.  Would YOU rent to those folks?

Did anyone ever figure out why one of his largest patients was only required to lose 30 pounds the first month, rather than the normal 50 pounds?

My guess about the different living arrangements is due to several things as we have seen somewhat decent apartments to total dumps.

First, I think the people shown living in the dumpier places probably have felony criminal records.  Second, I think a lot of these folks are section 8 or something similar and have little choice in where they live.   Third, some others are professional welfare and disability scammers, but have more cash and can get something a little nicer.  Others are none of the above and get what they can afford due to the stipend.

I would not of approved Nicole for the show.  Since it is clear from various Facebook pages she thinks she is a recording artist and is very active in this disgusting juggalo life, she could use that energy to lose weight on her own and most important, take care of her children. Imo, they were being verbally abused and neglected at the very least. Put her in jail for that, give her a physical job and she would lose the weight while paying the price for being a horrible mother.

I can't believe they did not shut it down after the drug raid. Instead they reward a bunch of criminals.

• Love 3

carbs, no carbs, at 680 pounds, I don't think it even matters!  stop with the soda, stop with the fast food, and how about an apple?  or a juicy piece of watermelon? Has fruit ever crossed these people's lips?  you will not get fat eating fruit and veggies.  Make a huge veggie plate with cukes, grape tomatoes, celery, sugar snap peas, red peppers, dip in hummus, man that's good.  I'll stand at my kitchen counter and stuff myself with that, and then sometimes I can barely finish dinner. 

• Love 9
22 minutes ago, Lesia said:

carbs, no carbs, at 680 pounds, I don't think it even matters!  stop with the soda, stop with the fast food, and how about an apple?  or a juicy piece of watermelon? Has fruit ever crossed these people's lips?  you will not get fat eating fruit and veggies.  Make a huge veggie plate with cukes, grape tomatoes, celery, sugar snap peas, red peppers, dip in hummus, man that's good.  I'll stand at my kitchen counter and stuff myself with that, and then sometimes I can barely finish dinner. 

Best. Summer. Food. EVER. Especially English hothouse cucumbers with Greek seasoning. 

• Love 4

Since it looks like her older boy is almost kindergarten age and is still in diapers, her fears of being buried by her kids while they are still in diapers is a possibility no matter what ripe old age she ends up living to.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, TicketToHellPaid said:

6 hours ago, LeeAnn said:

The kids should have been taken elsewhere.  Anywhere but walking around in that mess.

I have a feeling they were raiding the dad as well as "the invisible drug dealer renting our garage".

That's her dad and that's why he got a parole violation.

Disgustjng, poor Dr. Now had to touch her too. 

Going through FB pics makes me wonder how they get these two kids to sleep thrown next to eachother on whatever surface is available.

They also do not know that you put sheets on your dirty stained mattresses, no sheets at all.

• Love 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, Kellyee said:

It always kills me that they are driving to Houston, are too big to get in and out of the car sometimes, and are STILL stopping for multiple fast food meals, with no attempt at portion control. And their enablers help them get the food.

And it takes them DAYS longer to get to Houston sometimes because they stop so much. Fast food, and pee stops to void two liters of "used" pop. 

Is Nicole sure her parents were into cocaine? Because we she had that sit-down with them, they looked closer to being on the nod. 

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 5
On Thursday, March 2, 2017 at 10:27 AM, Yokosmom said:

The thing is, she was already huge before her father started doing drugs and went to jail.  I kept waiting to hear what early childhood issues got her started.

Yes she was.  That's why my jaw dropped during the supersized version when they showed the caption that her dad blames Charlie for Nicole's weight gain.  He must be on some very strong drugs if he didn't see that she was already a whale before she met Charlie.  Plus, the mom looked at least 2/3 the size of her daughter.  Who was to blame for her size?  Denial is cocaine daddy's middle name.

• Love 7
(edited)
3 hours ago, tpel said:

Yeah, I was wondering about that "no carbs" thing, too. As a vegetarian, I don't think I could survive on a no-carb diet, since vegetarian protein sources -- like tofu and beans -- have some carbs (the latter more than the former). Of course, there probably aren't that many 600-pound vegetarians  . . .

I can see why Dr. Now might say "no carb" when he means "very low carb" for the sake of simplicity, but that makes me wonder why he doesn't go a step further, particularly for families such as Nicole's who are clearly overwhelmed. Why not give them a food list? If it is on the list you can eat it, if not, don't. Or even pre-planned daily menus with a few choices? True, the more functional patients might benefit from figuring this out for themselves, but for someone like Nicole, it might short-circuit some of her excuses.

He does give them a food list. They get a printed out diet description and list of what they can and can't eat. These people don't eat lettuce and they didn't get fat from the carbs in lettuce. He obviously means white flour carbs, breads, cakes. cookies, candy, pizza, sugar, noodles, pasta- and the fat person knows what he means. So many people in this forum are so worried about Dr. Na saying No Carbs as if that is confusing to someone who weighs 600 pounds and has not eaten one healthy thing in years. . These patients are not going to look up the nutritional value of lettuce and say Oh it has 1 gm of carb so I can't eat it. They are not cheating ny sneaking tofu and lettuce. When he handed Nicole a list of of the foods she is not allowed to eat he said "that is NOT a list of the allowed foods" ha ha ha . They are just chatting in the office and he says no carbs- he does give them several pages that explain the diet what is and is not allowed.  

Edited by operalover
  • Love 9
5 hours ago, Barb23 said:

I think it was a rooftop bar. 

20 hours ago, 55Unicorns said:

Just found her on Facebook...Nicole Lewis.  Also found crack Mama...Darlene Grayson.

Mom's friend Travis Powell looks interesting. 

So many thoughts!!

Nicole said her parents were coke addicts. The mom was huge! How do you get fat on cocaine? Plus, she had no teeth. Sounds more like meth.

Charlie's teeth - did anyone notice his bottom teeth were either black or rotten, or something horrible?

How did they go from having no money left, to his buying her a ring? He never got a job, so I guess she bought herself the ring?

The second they got in Dr. Now's office, Nicole threw Charlie under the bus. He just sat there slack jawed while she actually said that they make her eat junk!!! He didn't even defend himself!

Charlie said he'd do anything for her. Couldn't he pick up a salad? They ate take out for every meal. I understand they had no stove, refrigerator, or kitchen. But, if you're going out, stop at a grocery store. Grab a can of tuna and a bag of fruit. I saw someone mention a rotisserie chicken. Is that so hard? I mean, it IS the reason you are all uprooted living in one hotel room!

Up thread it was asked how someone could be so excited about meatloaf. Well, let me tell you, I love it. I entered, and won, a meatloaf contest once. I actually understood Nicole's somewhat orgasmic description of the burger. And frighteningly, I shared her joy at finding individual Lindoor Truffles at the grocery store.

And for my last pre-diet meal? It would have to be Linguine with Meat Balls and a big slice of chocolate cake for dessert!

• Love 3

I'm kinda thinking we need a "last meal" thread on here. :)

I had the bypass in 2012. I wanted to start the diet right away, so basically right after I got off the phone with my surgeon (because of how my insurance at the time worked I had to go to a surgeon 10 hours away so most of my appointments have been by phone) I biked (BIKED!) to my favorite Mexican place, but instead of getting my favorite burrito (chile relleno) I got the chicken because more protein. I tried to be good but I did regret it, if you want my opinion I do think if you're about to go on the pre-surgery diet you really should allow yourself to eat at least one of your favorite foods. Especially true if you love steak, because all these years later steak is still my mortal enemy. I can handle just about anything else if I really want to, but not steak. :P

• Love 3
On 3/1/2017 at 8:25 PM, Brooklynista said:

So she can't care for her kids but she had a set up so she can make couch meatloaf to her own specifications . Uh huh. I see.

Her kids look a bit chunky too. And call me an asshole but I judge people that eat with spoons.

I think CPS should be called. Those kids were filthy and not being taken care of. All she done was complain and eat like a cow. 

I watch all these fat asses go shopping and there is not one heathy item in there cart. Then make an excuse to Dr.Now why they didn't lose the 50 pounds in a month.

• Love 2
(edited)
On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 8:36 AM, suzeecat said:

After being hosed down on the back porch, how did she bathe after they moved to Houston (and during the trip there)? 

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 9:01 AM, poeticlicensed said:

don't most landlords ask if anyone has a criminal record? At least dad did, and although he may not be on the lease, he should be listed as an occupant. So 2 strikes, no income, convicted felon. Add to it a large dog, 6 people and no money for a deposit. No wonder they had trouble finding housing. 

We've had other people awfully similar, and they got a place, usually one of those Dr. Now special apartments.  I do think TLC should have seen to it that they had a place, which I thought they usually did. 
If you've led these people to drive 1000 miles and move, you do have some responsibility.
And I thought she said that Charlie did find a job.

As to the shower question, I think they probably had a handicapped room in the motel, with a walk-in/wheel-in shower, and a wide opening.
(Originally, I had this below the quoted text, but can't get it to go there nowl)

And to all the cornflake trashers, my mother always made her meatloaf with cornflakes, and it had a lot better texture than the mushy ones (I loathe mushy things) made with brreadcrumbs.
Haven't had it since she died, because by the time I asked for the recipe, she could no longer remember what all she used.

Edited by auntjess
Some of what I wrote disappeared.
  • Love 2

Not to beat a dead horse, but with the carb issue, I think some of these patients are not very good at understanding what they read when Dr. now gives them diet directions. They see corn and think "vegetable" instead of very carby starch. They see a gallon jug of red juice and think "it is juice so it is healthier than pop". 

Whatever instruction they may receive about nutrition probably assumes a certain level of knowledge that many of these folks do not have. They need to start at square one when they explain how and what to eat and leave nothing to guesswork.

• Love 13