Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E09: Nicole's Story

Azubah
  • Start Topic

4 minutes ago, Threnners said:

Holy crap, was that her stomach stretched out on the table?

Make room in that handbasket: I was just thinking that she looked like a gigantic Thanksgiving turkey on that operating table.

• Love 15

Nicole needs to send her parents back to Ohio. They aren't helping the situation and are probably on drugs. Nicole is losing enough weight that she should be able to care for the kids. Hopefully mouth breather is still working

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, Kid said:

This woman is despicable. All she has done is whine about the lack of support. Her parents are raising her kids, they went to Houston with her to take care of those kids, the boyfriend is is at her beck and call. And all she does is whine about the lack of support. And I simply do not understand why those children are still in that household and have not been taken out of it.

Years ago I lived in Philly when they were having a number of deaths of children under DHS supervision. A reporter followed a social worker around to see what they were seeing and how DHS worked. She went to an apartment where the mother was out, the baby was in a diaper on a mattress on the floor. The male was busy watching TV in a bare apartment. The child couldn't be removed. It wasn't dirty, it wasn't sick or malnourished, or being physically abused that she could tell. As bad as the situation seemed to the reporter, the social worker said this was tame compared to the hard cases.

So, while it looks bad to us, Nicole's kids are being looked after, fed, not physically abused (at least not on camera). They're not going to be removed unless there is way more going on than what we saw. Considering the police left them after the raid, obviously a drug raid isn't even enough to get them removed.  I never forgot that article because the scene seemed so horrendous, yet nothing could be done. 

• Love 19
(edited)

I SO want to steal that little curly-haired red-head. So adorable.

OMG, they are getting married...

I guess my grandma was right, for every pot, there's a lid.

Edited by Ms. Bubba
  • Love 20
3 minutes ago, 55Unicorns said:

Dad's leg was hurting...BS...needed that coke....

So is that what they say in Ohio where they're from? Heh heh, "My leg hurts!" Oh well, in DC where I'm from we just keep it real and say "Time to get high" (or "twisted" depending on the substance of choice). So I've heard..............

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, poeticlicensed said:

Nicole needs to send her parents back to Ohio. They aren't helping the situation and are probably on drugs. Nicole is losing enough weight that she should be able to care for the kids. Hopefully mouth breather is still working

Her dad, especially, looked high to me.  I do not believe it was coincidental that the people who were renting the garage got arrested for dealing drugs.  

• Love 8

Whew! Thank goodness only two hours when I thought it was said it was a three hour show.

At least there was some humanity between her and her mom, and she and her future husband's lives seem to be on an upward trajectory. I wish them all the best, especially the kids and the animals.

• Love 8
(edited)

These people live in squalor. The couch in the Ohio house made me skeeve. The rental in Houston wasn't just a mess from the police raid. The smoking, the food and dishes strewn around ...ecch.

Not to be unkind, but they all seemed a little on the deficient side. The collective IQ seemed on the low side. Charlie just sat with his mouth agape 99% of the time. Mom never seemed to make eye contact with anyone.  There was so little emotional connection between any of them.

The kids were cute and I worried about them as they would cry and no adult would respond, or when the 'grownups' would shout and swear and the kids were right there toddling around...sad. But there was hope for them at the end.

Edited by KateHearts
  • Love 16
6 minutes ago, MrsClaus said:

My satellite glitched.  how did it end????

Very positively MrsClaus. Nicole had a heart to heart with her mom (dad was MIA) about them--her, hubby and kids--living on their own, thanking her mom for her help but that the parents should go ahead and move back to Ohio. They even said they loved each other. As Dr. Now would say "Making good progress!"

• Love 4

I would really like to see her after they get rid of the apron. It hangs down so low that it interferes with her knees when she walks. I always have high hopes for these people and I really want them to succeed.

I hope they do a follow up, she kinda grew on me.

Her family on the other hand... The parents are living with her to get free room and board. Neither work and they barely take care of the kids, so I would cut them loose. Dad is on drugs again, he would be gone in a hot minute. The mom could be saved and her boyfriend is a mouth breather, but he seems to really love her and he works, so she could do much worse

• Love 13

Lord I am embarrassed I am from the same state as these people.  I promise not all of Ohio is white trash, lol. 

Nicole was a piece of work, unable to accept any responsibility for her weight loss and her family is frightening. Her dad was clearly high as a kite. 

Also I am beyond confused as to how she was able to carry a baby to term at 600 pounds. Those kids broke my heart. That little boy trying to bathe himself because his mother can't fit through the damn doorway.

I get that losing weight is hard and it takes rewiring your brain and habits (I've lost 80 pounds since last January via weight watchers) but I can't imagine how you get to 700 pounds without going JESUS I NEED TO CHANGE sometime before that happening. These people have obviously lost all self respect. But I guess that makes sense since she was showering outside with a freaking garden hose. 

• Love 22

Well, that was depressing as hell.

1 hour ago, poeticlicensed said:

I don't understand why they can't find an apartment. Even a cheap hotel costs way more than an apartment.

I don't understand why her boyfriend couldn't find a job.  I mean, at least deliver pizzas or bus tables or wash dishes or something.  Or ask the hotel you're staying at if they have any housekeeping or maintenance positions available.

1 hour ago, CouchTater said:

Nicole seemed uncharacteristically calm and logical in the aftermath of the raid.  That was odd.  I almost feel like the dad was over-acting.

1 hour ago, EE2000 said:

I figure he was letting them stay there for drugs.    That seems like a reaction you'd see on Intervention when an addict is denied their drug or can't get it.    

Dad also seemed really upset about the cameras, even though they had presumably been filming them for weeks.  I think he didn't want to be caught using or buying drugs on camera. 

54 minutes ago, KateHearts said:

These people live in squalor. The couch in the Ohio house made me skeeve. The rental in Houston wasn't just a mess from the police raid. The smoking, the food and dishes strewn around ...ecch.

Yes!  When the dad was freaking out about the damage from the raid, I was thinking "but look what you've already done to the place!"

I'm not sure I really have much hope for Nicole, honestly.  I feel like the happy ending was tacked-on, but I'm not sure she had really made that much progress.  I hope she does break away from her parents- they all seem toxic together.

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, Kramermom said:

I'm absolutely shocked by how much food Nicole can consume during 1 "feeding"!  How is that possible?  I'm only 30 minutes in but I feel SO sorry for those kids!  SO sad!

Wait until you see the size of her stomach when he removes it!

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, hoosiermom said:

Wait until you see the size of her stomach when he removes it!

I'm new here so I hope this is the way to reply, haha.  I was picturing what the size of her stomach will be.  I love Indiana! ?

• Love 3

Tough crowd in here tonight lol. I'm in CA so I started reading a little bit before the show aired here and was expecting the worst but...I didn't think it was that bad. I thought Charlie was a sweetie and found some of the family talks refreshing, especially the conversation with her mom at the end. Granted I was flipping around and putting clothes away, but it seems like I wasn't watching the same show as everyone else.

• Love 1

The family dynamics in this episode were truly awful. She would have been better off leaving her home in her early teens- wasn't there anybody else, a grandmother, aunt, who could have cared for her? Drug addict parents, homelessness- how in the world did she even manage to weigh 400 lbs when they were homeless? Do soup kitchens supply enough food at mealtime to keep a person at that weight?

One question I'm almost afraid to ask, but it's been on my mind- at that weight, how is it physically possible to have sex? I almost can't believe there is any way for that to happen given the size of her stomach, etc. Also, isn't fertility almost non-existent in people of this size? I'm shocked that not only she got pregnant, but she was able to sustain both pregnancies. And the kids are by 2 different men. Good grief. I know quite a few divorced women who complain it's hard to get a date and they weigh maybe 180 lbs. How many men can there be who are attracted to a women who weighs 500-600 lbs?

• Love 21
3 hours ago, kittyinthecity said:

She is finally sounding more together. Interesting.

And, yeah, he's doing drugs.

Dad is definitely doing drugs!  I'd bet big $$$ he was trading the rent in the garage apt for drugs.  His disappearance for the rest of the show after the raid was very telling too.

• Love 10
6 hours ago, CouchTater said:

Boy, that Charlie is a mouth-breathing catch, eh?

Thanks for making me laugh for 15 whole minutes!  I think I lost some weight from that laugh.  LOL!

I have a feeling the fact that the tenants were drug dealers has a lot to do with the parents.  I think Dad's rant wasn't so much that the police raided and messed up the house than it was the fact that his drug connection got arrested.

• Love 19
(edited)
1 hour ago, CarolMK said:

The family dynamics in this episode were truly awful. She would have been better off leaving her home in her early teens- wasn't there anybody else, a grandmother, aunt, who could have cared for her? Drug addict parents, homelessness- how in the world did she even manage to weigh 400 lbs when they were homeless? Do soup kitchens supply enough food at mealtime to keep a person at that weight?

One question I'm almost afraid to ask, but it's been on my mind- at that weight, how is it physically possible to have sex? I almost can't believe there is any way for that to happen given the size of her stomach, etc. Also, isn't fertility almost non-existent in people of this size? I'm shocked that not only she got pregnant, but she was able to sustain both pregnancies. And the kids are by 2 different men. Good grief. I know quite a few divorced women who complain it's hard to get a date and they weigh maybe 180 lbs. How many men can there be who are attracted to a women who weighs 500-600 lbs?

Edited by Kramermom
I accidentally posted it twice. ?
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, swankie said:

Thanks for making me laugh for 15 whole minutes!  I think I lost some weight from that laugh.  LOL!

I have a feeling the fact that the tenants were drug dealers has a lot to do with the parents.  I think Dad's rant wasn't so much that the police raided and messed up the house than it was the fact that his drug connection got arrested.

ITA!  That's exactly the reason!  I think he was trading rent for drugs.  That must've been a big money operation to have a raid come down within a few short weeks - months of moving in!  

As for the mouth breather ....... My step dad always called the lazy jaw types "fly suckers", haha.  

• Love 6

For the first time since the Penny story, I wanted to stand at the Houston city limits and yell at these people to turn around, go back, we're closed for business!  Dr. Now had packed up and left town!  But uh, please leave the babies and the pets here.  

• Love 16
1 minute ago, 4leafclover said:

For the first time since the Penny story, I wanted to stand at the Houston city limits and yell at these people to turn around, go back, we're closed for business!  Dr. Now had packed up and left town!  But uh, please leave the babies and the pets here.  

LOL!  Penny was DEFINITELY a challenge!  Nicole ran a close 2nd with her food demands & long list of excuses!  

• Love 1