Type keyword(s) to search

The Wall - General Discussion

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

The couple on this first episode were well-coached -- very talkative, very upfront against the Wall trying to use body English to change the path of the balls (which of course does absolutely nothing).

Didn't care for the over-rambunctious hugging -- it seemed a little over the top and too "acted".

They have to cut out the stupid stories -- I'm choosing to put this ball in slot 7 because when I was growing up my uncle died in a year ending with a 7 or some such nonsense.  It's just filler for filler's sake.

And what really bugged me was Hardwick saying that this show was to help 'good people' -- so is it a game show or a money giveaway to people that are 'deserving' ?

• Love 2

I hated the helping "good people" part.   Basically you have to have a sob story to get on.   It's too close to that old Queen for a Day show Chopped gets accused of becoming.  

This show is WAY too much filler.  It could easily be condensed to half an hour but of course they wouldn't give away that much money.   All the hand wringing over signing the "contract" was particularly annoying.   This is basically NBCs attempt at Deal or No Deal that was equally overstuffed with useless BS and wore out its welcome quickly.welcome   

• Love 2

There is another episode tonight on Jan. 2 at 10pm before going to its regular Tuesday night timeslot at 8pm..

Are they going to the have the extremely long-winded 2-minute intro to every single episode ?  Because there is way too much LeBron James in it -- I know he's one of the executive producers, but he adds nothing to the show.

I thought is was odd that CH thanked Chris and Kate for their service before they were even introduced as both being in the military -- usually it's the other way around.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
20 minutes ago, Fish Pie said:

Dear Lord, what an insufferable prick this man is. Really hoping they leave empty handed.

And your hope is granted -- Zero. Zilch.

I can't believe that they are already dragging family members into this mess -- as if the show wasn't already slow enough, that's one of the things that helped kill 'Deal of No Deal'.

I'd be more impressed if they went into the red that that they had to cut a cheque to the production company -- boy, would that change their game play since there is currently no risk whatsoever, and the contestants are basically there to pick up gobs of free money.  I also wonder if the millions they can win is actually in the form of a 20-year annuity, but everyone will just take the present day cash value (which is SUBSTANTIALLY lower in value and SUBSTANTIALLY less life-changing) .

It is really going to get old if the million spot is always in the same place -- though that one ball in the last drop made a beeline for the million spot -- I realize that is probably the least likely slot the balls will go into statistically speaking.

I find the doubling and tripling up aspects kind of confusing -- can they only double up on the 2nd question, and triple up on the 3rd question of a round ?

They have got to get rid of the freefalling round -- the questions are insultingly simple.  Just let them drop some balls, and get the game moving.

• Love 2

Starting a family and providing their moms with a vacation -- get started on that with your zero dollars Chris and Kate.

And per the preview, tomorrow's episode will be to help pay down the couple's student loans -- how long before we get people trying to pay down their health care bills ?

Are the contestants limited to just heterosexual married couples (so far they are 2 for 2) ?  Because that kind of sucks.  
Heck, at least The Amazing Race lets people with some form of a prior relationship play (whatever it may be).

Please.  Until they have some playing for new teeth for their sibling, they got nuthin on Food Network.

I wondered about the married hetero couple thing.   I suspect a token lesbian couple with all the rest being married straights.  

I liked the concept, but the whole contract thing at the end doesn't make sense. Why would you ever sign that thing, if you have greater odds of winning more money in the multiple rounds on the wall? I think this couple went through the extreme, and it was glorious to see as they were not good TV. 

The really low dollar value slots need to go. A dollar? Seriously? Also I think the placement of the balls at the top are completely meaningless. I think dropping a large enough number of balls would show every drop slot at the top has the exact same chance of ending up in every bottom money slot. In other words: it's random and where you drop the balls from doesn't matter in the slightest.

Way too slow, this show.

• Love 2

And there you go, that last red ball dropped from Slot Number 1 on the far left and landed in the extreme right slot at the bottom!

It also seems kind of silly that they show you scenes from "Coming up!" before going to commercial. On a game show.

• Love 3

I missed the last 10 minutes -- did they tear up the contract or not ?

1 hour ago, Tabasco Cat said:

And there you go, that last red ball dropped from Slot Number 1 on the far left and landed in the extreme right slot at the bottom!

It also seems kind of silly that they show you scenes from "Coming up!" before going to commercial. On a game show.

What bugs me even more is the instant replay of the ball that just dropped and the contestant reaction -- that we just saw less than 10 seconds ago.

Already getting tired of the helping out 'good people' nonsense.

And yet another contestant gets all teary-eyed and invokes dead relatives -- to help score big dollars in a money giveaway.

The really low dollar value slots need to go. A dollar? Seriously? Also I think the placement of the balls at the top are completely meaningless. I think dropping a large enough number of balls would show every drop slot at the top has the exact same chance of ending up in every bottom money slot. In other words: it's random and where you drop the balls from doesn't matter in the slightest.

Way too slow, this show.

They need to move around the big value slots or something -- since as @Tabasco Cat mentioned it really seems to make no difference and it's already boring as hell that it is in the same location.  And this 'conservative' play nonsense is just utter bullshit.

• Love 2

There's a reason that Plinko only makes an occasional appearance on The Price Is Right and is on the screen for < 5 mins. Watched this once, will not repeat. 

And so much word to the replays. This could have easily been a 30 minute show without the filler. 

• Love 3

We watched the first show. Yeah, something glitchy about this. I don't like shows that have such extremes and the end result (after wasting an hour watching) is nada. Nothing. Zip. I like to see people win SOMETHING. All that effort for nothing. I don't know. Maybe that's not the right way to think of it.

I hated all the filler, too. Why can't they create a show (if they have to create something "new") that just plays the game? The "game" should be fun enough, no?

• Love 4

I would have loved to have watched this show, but I wasn't home. I checked GlobalTV in Canada, but they didn't have episodes available for viewing. I tried NBC and was geo-blocked. No one has a dodgy stream available either, so I guess I'm out of luck until Global gets their act together and steps into the 21st century.

Illini, that's a great point about the extremes of results. All or nothing may be dramatic, but it does indeed feel like a waste if it consumes the full length of the program.

Edited by Superpole2000
  • Love 1

The one thing that really bugged after the Freefall round was on the first ball drop the contestants ended up deep in negative numbers -- and what happened ?   Nothing, they just ignored it, reset the counter back to 0 dollars and kept going.  That's just bullshit. 

• Love 1

Agreed. It should be going to negative in that round. It would be interesting to have the final also be able to go negative and the contestant having to pay (or donate or something) the rest. That would raise the stakes but also tame the game a little. 

• Love 2

That was duller than dishwater.

I still dislike the fact that if they lose more money than they have, it simply goes to zero and they keep on dropping more balls, instead of going into the red.  That would make the game more interesting for sure.

The questions continue to be WAY too easy for the amounts of money they could possibly give away.
I couldn't believe that they missed that chessboard corner pieces question. Seriously ?

• Love 1

They don't have them go negative because then they wouldn't advance to the next round.   And since there's one couple per show, there's no way anyone will not advance.  Which makes all the drama over being positive BS.

You don't know that Aries is the ram?  Kevin Spacey hasn't done anything?   Wow.  

I am sick of the teary-eyed staring at the end.  What the hell is that even about?  I'm also sick of Chris getting so emotional about them.  Bitch, you are not Oprah.  

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Maverick said:

They don't have them go negative because then they wouldn't advance to the next round.   And since there's one couple per show, there's no way anyone will not advance.  Which makes all the drama over being positive BS.

You don't know that Aries is the ram?  Kevin Spacey hasn't done anything?   Wow.  

I am sick of the teary-eyed staring at the end.  What the hell is that even about?  I'm also sick of Chris getting so emotional about them.  Bitch, you are not Oprah.  

I'm talking about after the Freefalling round (which is essentially the 'Give me free money for answering moronic questions' round) -- because this happened last night and last week, where they got smallish amounts in the first couple of free balls, got a question wrong and lost WAY more than they had accumulated, and CH says 'oh, we'll just reset to zero'.  I'd love to see the look on the face of a contestant who ripped up the contract expecting millions and hears that their answers resulted in large numbers in the red.

And the sappy ending just blows, especially the way the contestants are obviously instructed to drag out the reveal is just terrible.  These contestants can't act.

• Love 1

This couple didn't bother me as much as the others...until the end when they're staring at each and going on about how much they love each other.   It's really awkward and frankly slightly creepy.  Like you're spying on them after they've had a few wine coolers and some mediocre sex.  

• Love 3

Am I the only one who watches this show and actively roots for the contestants to lose?

I resent the idea that I'm being told to root for these people, because they only bring on "deserving" contestants. Hey show, how about you let me make up my mind about who I think is deserving and you just produce a gameshow, OK?

I also hate that the sums of money are so high, for basically doing nothing, that it feels like there is very little at stake. I mean, 500 Questions had contestants walk away with $100,000 amounts and I at least felt like they earned it. Even Millionaire required one to answer a series of increasingly difficult questions, with set dollar amounts attached, so there was a progression.

You should not be able to make the same amount of money (or more) that you can win on Survivor or The Amazing Race just by dropping some stupid ball.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, opus said:

Nope :)

I was pissed again tonight -- one drop and they should have been over a $100K in the red, but nope, reset to $0 and keep on truckin'.

And the freefalling round is still just a waste of time -- the questions are so ridiculously easy that there's no way they don't make it to the next round.

Way too much LeBron in the intro again.

And that Youtube video question couldn't have been tailored any better for this 'deserving' couple.

• Love 2

Yesterday's episode was duller than dirt.  So. Much. Filler.

Though I was surprised that a couple of the questions in the Million dollar round were actually tougher than usual.

Still pissed that they don't let the contestants dollar amounts drop below zero in a round, because the final total should have been about $170K less than what they ended up with.

I'm still kind of curious if there isn't any mechanism inside the balls that can help affect where they go -- there are most certainly electronics packages inside the balls that control the color -- red, green or white.  Some sort of gyro-mechanism to add a little english on the ball.  And how do they re-charge the batteries in the balls ?

Edited by ottoDbusdriver

I vow to watch until someone explains their choice with "I'm playing this ball from number 4 because I'm obligated by the rules of the game to drop it from a number between 1 and 7".

• Love 1

The Katie and Kevin episode- she's a teacher at my daughters high school (the youngest graduated last year). So, it was kind of cool to see someone we sort of knew. My oldest had her as a teacher and didn't get along with her. Lol. My youngest only saw her around and only had her for an MCAS test one year.  

I'm looking forward to actively rooting against the contestants tonight. The repeat that was on last night was painful to watch; no team was ever more deserving of walking away with $0.

"The purpose of this show is to change lives." Gag.

Edit: OK they did pretty well in Free Fall. I'll give them a pass on the Venus-or-Mars question because at least they had a sort of a logical approach to guessing Mars. A major reason for going to Mars instead of Venus is that the average temperature on Venus is 860 degrees (F).

Edited by Tabasco Cat

Wow. The Eiffel tower was easy... and he missed it. The Mr. Rogers question I did not know, but he got that wrong too.

At least I now know that Steve Jobs wasn't Time's Man of the Year post hominously.

The scores NEED to go below zero badly. It's a waste of time watching more red balls drop when they've got nothing in the first place.

• Love 1

Once again, way too much LeBron in the intro.  Mark Burnett doesn't do this on his shows, so LeBron needs to cut it the fuck out.

Finally a pair that aren't a married couple, but instead a pair of brothers from Buffalo one of whom helped save a woman's life.

Damn these 1st round Freefall questions are easy.

Sneezy or Silly -- which is not a dwarf

Salmon or tuna -- what kind of fish is yellowfin or bluefin (can't believe they got this wrong)

New York Times or New York Post -- which paper describes itself as "All the News that's fit to print"

That Cincinnati Bengals NFL question was even more embarrasingly simple.

Money in the pot after the 2nd round -- $0
Money in the pot after the 3rd round -- $0
Number of trivia questions answered in the 2nd and 3rd rounds -- 0

Wow, that was just bad, leaving them with the $35K+ from the Freefall round -- and they end up with nothing.

At least since it was two brothers it wasn't an overly long drawn out weepy end sequence.  I hope the show paid for their flight and hotels from Buffalo, otherwise these two brothers and their family are leaving the show in the red.  Even Jeopardy doesn't pair for airfare unless you are the returning champ.

The scores NEED to go below zero badly. It's a waste of time watching more red balls drop when they've got nothing in the first place.

This really needs to happen.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1

Since they ended up with nothing, I'm glad the red balls don't make the total go below zero.  Would you really want these hard-working guys to OWE the show money?  I am disappointed when a team walks away with nothing, honestly.  Maybe I'm a sap, but I like to watch this show to see people win.

8 hours ago, GenL said:

Since they ended up with nothing, I'm glad the red balls don't make the total go below zero.  Would you really want these hard-working guys to OWE the show money?  I am disappointed when a team walks away with nothing, honestly.  Maybe I'm a sap, but I like to watch this show to see people win.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely don't want them to owe the show. If they are in the red at the end of the last round, then just zero it out.  Simple.

What pisses me off is that the contestants get a mulligan (sometimes more than one) when they go below zero DURING the game.
And then we get the 'look at how well we did' attitude ....... only they really got a LOT of help.

Because if they had to battle out of the hole, it would most certainly change their strategies too -- and maybe reduce some of the outlandish celebrating.

• Love 1

That was the season finale -- and that was just bad.  Once again the quarantined contestant does terrible on some pretty mild trivia questions -- and goes 1 for 6.

It's a good thing they can't go below $0, because the sister-in-laws would have been down about $2.7 million before the last 4 red balls, and thankfully they didn't go through the painful exercise of going through the motions of the last 4 red balls (just to dig the hole even deeper).  At least they got something for their troubles.

1 hour ago, Geek XX said:

So it's plinko except you have to answer trivia questions to win money. 

Pretty much.  Except that the questions are Jeopardy Teen Tournament level in the difficulty scale (though the Freeform round is on the 'Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader' level), and you can win millions.  And you have to be 'good people' to even get to play. And for some reason, Lebron James is involved as the executive producer and is in the intro -- though it's never made clear why he's involved (you don't see Mark Burnett talking in the Intro for Survivor. Ever.).

Unlike the last episode of the previous run, some money was actually won.

But the questions continue to get easier and easier -- the show combines the money level of who wants to be a millionaire with the knowledge requirements of 'Are you smarter than a 5th grader ?'  Actually, maybe a 3rd grader.

Can they stop with the stupid dead relative stories ?  Grandma's dead, but she's watching over me from position 4 because that was her favorite number. FFS ! Just pick a position and end it.  It's crap like this that pads this show from the 30 minute episode it should be to the hour long time-killing beast it is.

(edited)

Finally watched this week's episode of the wall -- still waaaaay to much Lebron in the intro, and while I know Lebron is an EP from the credits they never explain why he is in the intro yet never to be seen.

Still hate the fact that they can't go below zero -- even in the freefall round -- because that would make things at least a little more challenging.

Seriously, one of the questions in the FreeFall round was "The Statue of Liberty's torch is held in which of her hands" -- with the 2 options of "left" and "right" -- are they sure they didn't mix this up with the questions from The Wall: Grade School Edition.  Even the "sunshine vitamin" question was embarrassingly easy (with answer options of Vitamin C and Vitamin D.  Followed up by where Gatorade was invented.  Fuck !!

At least this couple took some money home -- but without all the long-winded explanations and stories about dead relatives and such this show is only about 10 minutes long.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver

Horrible, uninteresting show.  Hate the dead grandma crap (they do that on Chopped too, to gain sympathy points for crap cooking) and the I love you so much more than a million dollars schmoopie crap.  Just loaded crap, all around.

• Love 2

The Mount Everest question last night had us reeling. I think for most of the answer sets, we had the questions figured out before they popped up. Missed the Statue of Liberty question.  Gad.

• Love 1

Would the producers please take Lebron out of the intros ?  FFS !  No other show has their EP give a little blurb, so don't do it here.

Finally caught this week's episode, and the Freefall questions were embarrassingly easy -- paraphrasing here

Nicki Minaj had a hit song in 2014 that shares its name with which snake ?  Anaconda or Python

Bevo, a Longhorn steer, is the mascot for sports teams at which university ? University of Texas or University of Tennessee

In the equation E=MCSquared, what does the 'M' stand for ?  Mass or Meter

Before he became a movie star, which TV show was Leonardo DiCarpio play a homeless teen ?  Family Ties or Growing Pains

According to a recipe in the Joy of cooking, this popular omelet with ham, peppers, and onions shares its name with which US city ?  Dallas or Denver

Because everyone knows about the famous Dallas omelet.

Why do they even bother with the Freefall questions ?  Just give them 5 free drops, because the questions are so ridiculously easy -- in fact I don't think I've seen, in the twelve episodes so far, anyone who didn't come out of the Freefall cash-positive.  In fact, there has only been 1 show when someone missed at least 1 Freefall question.  And since you can't lose money, the fix is in to pass this round so why even bother mentioning that you need cash to move on.  You would have to get all 5 questions wrong, or not answer before the balls cross the line, or not answer a question at all -- whose kidding who, this will never happen, so why do they keep pushing the risk that you might not move on.

And they drag out yet another dead relative -- arggggh !!

At least this couple went home with 7 figures, but the questions were so frakking easy.

The one big question miss in the million dollar round was -- which is the highest mountain in Africa ?  Choices were: Denali, Everest, Kilimanjaro, and Aconcagua, and the wife guessed Everest.  Seriously, that was a million dollar question, which would have been in the kids tournament on Jeopardy.