Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E19: Hugh Jackman, Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, James Blunt

• Start Topic

It's unusual -- and refreshing, and delightful -- to have a bunch of dudes unashamedly flirting with each other, without sarcasm and toxic/anxious masculinity getting in the way.

I love McK's Maggie Smith impression, and love even more that she's all Dowager Countess even when not on the Downton set.

• Love 3

I adore that both Professor X's seem to sit in the same way with one leg underneath. Obviously, Magneto mellowed out over the years and Wolverine unbottoned his shirt a bit.

I'm imagining all the conversations they have over the years and Graham just keeps providing food, accommodation, and of course booze.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, attica said:

It's unusual -- and refreshing, and delightful -- to have a bunch of dudes unashamedly flirting with each other, without sarcasm and toxic/anxious masculinity getting in the way.

I love McK's Maggie Smith impression, and love even more that she's all Dowager Countess even when not on the Downton set.

Yes their love and affection for each other is so damn cool. I wish more male celebs would behave in this manner.

I love that Ian brings up LGBT issues every time he makes a TV appearance. He travels to schools across the UK to talk to students about him being gay (and them accepting their LGBT classmates) and that's why he was in Scotland prior to the show.

• Love 3
On 2/27/2017 at 9:05 AM, dusang said:

This is the most delightful couch on record.  I looooove them.  Although I'm not sure I needed to know that much about Jean-Luc's Picard.

I thought this was right up there with the Monuments Men couch.

But I couldn't get enough of Patrick Stewart's circumcision story.  Egad, that was hilarious.

Edited by StatisticalOutlier
  • Love 2

It did not escape my notice that McKellen gave Jackman's butt a good squeeze during their hug. Not that I blame him.

I wonder if that impression of Maggie Smith Sir Ian did on SNL years ago contributed to her frosty attitude toward him?

• Love 2

I thought I thought good thoughts, but after seeing the results Sir Pat got from thinking good thoughts, it's clear that my thoughts must be very very very bad indeed. Thoughts most foul, in fact.

• Love 2

Hugh Jackman really resembles his mother, who was adorable.

3 hours ago, maraleia said:

Yes their love and affection for each other is so damn cool. I wish more male celebs would behave in this manner.

They kissed on the lips. So sweet.

Sometimes when people have known each other for so long there's a lot of inside jokes and shorthand, and those three avoided that on the couch, which I appreciated.

2 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

I wonder if that impression of Maggie Smith Sir Ian did on SNL years ago contributed to her frosty attitude toward him?

"So young and so bitter." Hee.

James Blunt's song reminded me of "Let's Have Intercourse," from Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. That song was a takeoff on some Ed Sheeran song. Blunt's tweets were very funny.

And we got the Big Red Chair! A perfect episode, really.

• Love 3

It really was a perfect episode. I'm so glad Ian joined them. It was wonderful before, but he is such an absolute delight. I could listen to him all day. A great storyteller, and that voice!

They're all such good buds. What a pleasure to watch.

James Blunt has a great sense of humor. What hilarious tweets. BTW, why do (some) people hate him?

• Love 2
14 hours ago, peeayebee said:

BTW, why do (some) people hate him?

When his single "You're Beautiful" came out, it was overplayed everywhere and a lot of people hated that song even without the overplayed nature. Some people thought his accolades from that album and song were unwarranted. I think his low key demeanor seemed to piss off the haters more. He's trolled his haters on Twitter a lot and in interviews and generally has an air of DGAF to these trolls. He has also done a lot of good charity work. Most people don't know that Blunt served as a Captain in the British Army and was deployed to Kosovo War with NATO. I think it would take a lot to actually rile him.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, attica said:

"You're Beautiful" is really treacly (imo), though, and when treacle sells frillions, it engenders haters. Even more so than when Your Favorite Band "sells out."

The other songs on the album are a bit less treacly but yeah it's not my favourite. I don't love his music, but there are a couple of his songs which aren't bad. He also got a lot of hate because You're Beautiful and that album were his first professional music endeavors more or less. He came almost from nowhere and made a lot of money and awards right away. Thus more jealousy and hate from music fans who think other artists deserved more, etc.

• Love 1

I hated the song, but never extended that to the artist himself being hate-worthy (I was completely ignorant of anything about him other than the song itself). His sense of humor in the tweets Graham showed definitely gave me a positive impression!

• Love 4

I agree with you all, great couch and I'm not a fan of either of these guys, Jackman and Stewart and have not watched anything either are in. But I love Graham and delighted to see McKellen. This turned out to be a really great couch. I had no idea what Wolverine has been around for so long.

Great red chair stories. Always good when there's time for the big red chair. Blunt was ok. His tweets were hilarious and made me want to follow him even though I don't really do Twitter or particularly care for his music.

Edited by kat165