Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E07: Imminent Risk

• Start Topic

WHAT? WHAT? Hell no. No way Dar got with Quinn. That is just wrong, wrong, wrong.

When Carrie is confronted with cold, clear logic she babbles even worse than usual. It's too bad that this is the best she's been all series. She needs to get with Max. He is a calm, reassuring presence.

Show, Dar needs to go. Now.

• Love 4
(edited)

Astrid turning up last week was great but weird.  I wondered why she was there,  it had been at least a year since Berlin.  Now we know Dar is pulling all the strings this season and it's got to end badly for him. So far he's been successful in keeping Carrie preoccupied enough so that she doesn't reach out for Quinn and Astrid is literally in the dark. Quinn knows Dar too well and he knows he's up to shit in keeping Quinn isolated. The nugget about Dar being a dirty ol homo was interesting, but really doesn't go anywhere .   Dar  still believes there is the nuclear bomb proliferation from the Iranians and would alert NY Iranians of Javadi's arrival.. At least Saul now knows how vile Dar is and how far he will go.  Although  Javadi swears no Iranian build up in North Korea I'm still weary of this guy, and Saul is going to take him right to the president elect.  Carrie was her awesome crazy best drunk dialing the president elect. The president elect hanging up has got to be the best telegraph yet that she won't be helping Carrie anytime soon, and Carrie unwittingly played right into Dar's hands, by underminding herself drinking and sounding unhinged..  I only hope the social worker gets in deep shit in allowing CIA (Dar) to provide details including personal medical information about Carrie without a subpeona 

Edited by RedFiat
(edited)

I don't understand how Saul became so marginalized in the agency that Dar could pull off this scheme. Saul is supposed to be powerful yet the director actually has him interrogated to appease the Mossad. Who is the superpower here? I am glad that Javadi escaped. He was a good man once and it paid off.

Dar set up Carrie perfectly. I cannot believe that Carrie didn't sniff out the game when that woman took Franny. A whole lot of people's heads are going to roll when Dar is taken down, that social worker included. Carrie had to be drunk to think that a politician would help her. Carrie has so many contacts in the intelligence service surely she could have found someone else.

Quinn was in foster care when the CIA found him and Dar must have preyed on him. I wonder if his preference for young men will somehow end up being how they find him? I look forward to Quinn escaping. I wonder if Astrid will help or Quinn has to kill her.

Next week, Saul and Carrie team up. It will be the beginning of the end of Dar. I hope for multiple bullets through his treacherous chest.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 5
12 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

I cannot believe that Carrie didn't sniff out the game when that woman took Franny.

IKR? Especially right after his veiled threat outside Franny's school.

I vaguely recall the show referencing the creepy Dar/Quinn stuff a while back. Maybe it was in the ep when Quinn was on a bender with that apartment manager?

• Love 1

I was hoping Quinn would kill Dar when they were sitting outside and that was before we found out he's the one who called CPS. 

Does Carrie even know Quinn's missing?

Dar's machinations are beginning to strike me as more and more implausible. Dar, Saul, Carrie, and Quinn worked in the CIA for years. They would all have friends, allies, and enemies in the agency. It is impossible to believe that there aren't a line of people waiting to stab that knife into Dar's chest. They would be watching him and warning Saul and Carrie every step of the way. Also, Quinn was a CIA paramilitary officer for years. He has critical intelligence information. The CIA and military would never just let the NYPD lock him up or shrug off his disappearance. 

• Love 4

When these various characters figure out what Dar Adal is up to they're going to bend him over, tie him up to a pole, stretch his nuts back and fling them up his butthole! I enjoyed seeing F. Murray Abraham as the villain in Star Trek: Insurrection, the ugly revenge-focused Ru'afo whose legendary scream of NOOO! caused blood to gush from his forehead. He was just as good at keeping Picard on the defensive as the Borg Queen was. But if Picard had been up against Admiral Dar Adal... shuttle accidents, transporter mishaps, rogue Klingons... make it so!

As for Carrie's paranoia about the police, she could have explained it better. She could have told the judge how in her last interaction with the police heavily armed commandos were crashing through her ceiling and she had to throw herself on top of her friend so they wouldn't shoot him. So you know, not exactly eager to call those guys so they can come back...

• Love 4
3 hours ago, WaltersHair said:

She needs to get with Max. He is a calm, reassuring presence.

Max may be working with Dar.  I don't think it was Franny who spilled the beans about Carrie and the loaded gun. 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Pallas said:

Max may be working with Dar.  I don't think it was Franny who spilled the beans about Carrie and the loaded gun. 

I think that really was Franny, as was other quotes from the interview. While this woman did work with Dar's tip and may have encouraged some things from Franny during the interviews, I don't necessarily think that it was all fabricated. That's the hardest part, really. 

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, VagueDisclaimer said:

I think that really was Franny, as was other quotes from the interview.

Maybe. I hope so. But I'm not sure that Franny would volunteer that information -- especially what the adults saw as the damning detail about Carrie's being asleep. Meanwhile, Always Available Max has access and perhaps, motivation: disillusionment with Carrie, something Dar would delight in abetting. And he did mention how he'd volunteer to keep watch with a loaded gun. 

• Love 1

I was wondering why they were being uncharacteristically realistic about CPS derailing Carrie about the hostage siege at her home.  

Carrie was worried about that mercenary coming for her but now she had to deal with this.

Of course Dar is messing with her.  But at the same time, she no longer has to worry about Franny's security and now could jump headlong into the action the rest of the season?

PEOTUS can't help?  That sounds like a crock, not like Carrie was looking to profit from asking her to make calls.  But I guess she's not going to bother to call on Carrie any more, to seek her counsel.

(edited)

I have been enjoying this season, but didn't like the reveal that Dar has been the moustache-twirling ubervillain this whole time and is responsible for everything that has happened all because of some policy machinations. After last season's debacle I thought the show would give Saul a bit of redemption but it seems like he is still a few steps behind at this stage, though I expect that will change now that he's fully aware.

I don't like Dar as the villain because I have always enjoyed his shady but otherwise on-the-same-team persona, and especially his relationship with Quinn. Now it's revealed he's a sexual predator as well.. OK then.

Quinn continues to be the best thing about this show and Rupert Friend is one hell of an actor.

Edited by pfk505
  • Love 7

One of my absolute favorite things about this episode is that throughout this season, Quinn has been shown to have trouble communicating (stuttering and forgetting words, both of which are totally understandable after what happened), but he had no problem whatsoever very clearly saying, "GO FUCK YOURSELF, DAR!"

The nugget about Dar being a dirty ol homo was interesting, but really doesn't go anywhere .

I disagree. I think it shows that Dar has had no issues manipulating and taking advantage of people, even vulnerable teenage foster kids. At this point, Dar is such a bad guy that I wouldn't put anything past him, but this tidbit of information makes it seem all the less surprising that he would stoop to having Franny taken away because he doesn't give a shit about anyone, even innocent kids. To Dar, anyone is fair game if it helps him get something that he wants. The other thing we learned from Dar and Quinn's conversation is that Dar claims he has never forced himself on anyone which shows that he clearly doesn't understand the concept of abuse of power.

Does Carrie even know Quinn's missing?

Nope. Astrid got Quinn out at the end of the previous episode during the night. This week's episode covered the next two days (the first day was when Franny was taken away and the second day was the hearing) so Carrie has been dealing with her Franny crisis the entire time.

• Love 7

I don't think it's ever been revealed that Dar raped Quinn (yes, it was rape, Quinn was a kid), but at some point, I think, it was mentioned that Quinn used sex for information for Dar. At least I remember something about it. Maybe it was implied at one time.

I don't see how PEOTUS got that Carrie was drunk. Excited and agitated, yes. She just didn't come across as drunk to me. Just a really scared parent who wanted someone to help her get her child back. Of course, we saw her hitting the bottle, but PEOTUS didn't. I don't understand why she didn't at the very least, agree to see Carrie the next day to understand what was going on or have a staff member check it out.

• Love 5

Does anyone know the character's name that was introduced last week. He was the one who went to the elevator to return Saul's coat that he left in the agent's office. He and Saul talked at the elevator and he agreed to help Saul out. he also had a little scene with him last night but I didn't catch his name. If not the character's name, anyone know the actor?

Homeland has been amazing these last few episodes. Rupert Friend is just an incredible actor. Everyone else is amazing, but Rupert Friend is just something else.

I'm not completely sure how to do screenshots, but the guy that saved Javadi from the Iranian Secret Service, looked exactly the same as the guy that the woman from the CIA gave Saul's phone too. I was just wondering if Javadi meeting Saul in the end was also part of Dar Adal's machinations...

• Love 1

Something about the woman from CPS seemed shady to me from the very beginning but her logical, step-by-step takedown of Carrie was a thing of beauty. Especially when Carrie started realizing what was happening and really had no comeback that would sound halfway sane.

Dar fcuking Adal. At this point I'm just wondering who's finally going to have the honor of killing that guy: Carrie, Quinn, or Saul? Or maybe they'll farm the job out to Javadi. No loose ends. (Unless he's now working for Dar too, in which case, yikes.)

Ditto comments upthread, did Quinn actually insinuate that Dar recruited young boys into the CIA by seducing them? Did we know that before now?

I don't think it's ever been revealed that Dar raped Quinn (yes, it was rape, Quinn was a kid), but at some point, I think, it was mentioned that Quinn used sex for information for Dar. At least I remember something about it. Maybe it was implied at one time.

Yes, I remember that too because it both amused and saddened me to learn that super secret agent Quinn had once had to work as a honeypot.

• Love 2
(edited)
8 hours ago, pfk505 said:

I have been enjoying this season, but didn't like the reveal that Dar has been the moustache-twirling ubervillain this whole time and is responsible for everything that has happened all because of some policy machinations.

True. But what if the whole over arching intel that North Korea does in fact have some sort of build up from Iran is true? Javardi hasn't assured me of squat. A cell phone picture that could be staged?   If that's the case, then all of Dar's dastardly deeds makes for a big twist, regardless of how subhuman he is this season.  Dar has always played on the dark side, we know that from the first time he was introduced on the show, so his machinations shouldn't be all that surprising.   BTW I am loving this season. I thought the first couple of episodes were dreary so glad it's picked up. The hour rushes by. 

Edited by RedFiat
  • Love 4

Does the CIA really have black ops people, while the virtuous, principled ones like Saul and Carrie are working around them?

It's probably large enough that there are some unscrupulous people who'll use any means for ends they want.  But it's one thing to plot against child piano prodigies, and another to do so against smart intelligence officers.  Salieri just doesn't seem to be badass enough.

The actor playing the CIA guy who is helping Saul is named Seth Numrich.

He's been in the AMC Revolutionary War Drama "Turn" playing Benjamin Tallmadge.

• Love 6

did Quinn actually insinuate that Dar recruited young boys into the CIA by seducing them? Did we know that before now?

My recollection is that Dar discussed recruiting Quinn in part because he was good-looking, young and desperate. I think Dar also highlighted Quinn's usefulness in honeytrapping opponents and at least hinted at some less savory activities Quinn had been involved with "on the streets" before Dar "saved" him. But I don't think there was ever any suggestion that Dar himself screwed around with Quinn, until now. That's new.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, ahpny said:

But I don't think there was ever any suggestion that Dar himself screwed around with Quinn, until now. That's new.

Ugh, I actually came here hoping to find out I'd sleepily misunderstood, that Quinn had not in fact been a rent boy.  Jeez Louise, now I'm more convinced than ever that Dar has been the hidden big bad since season 1.  Just the way Dar casually confirmed his previous 'relationship' with Quinn - kudos to you, F. Murray Abraham, I'm really looking forward to seeing Saul put you in a small room with a guy holding pliers.  

• Love 2
(edited)

Well, now the villain is official.

I remember back in Season 2 or 3, just when Quinn about entered the picture, where the mere mention of Dar Adal gave everyone the heebus jeebus as if he was some secret mythological, urban legend creature inside the CIA. I think even Carrie (or was it Saul?) wasn't sure that he's alive or even real. Now he's running the big bad inside the CIA, out in the open, for everyone to see. How things have changed.

I imagine this will be F. Murray's last season since villains don't really do well in Homeland, no?

When the child services agent made an about-face to being sympathetic to Carrie's case during their interview to taking her down during the hearing, I thought for sure she was in Dar Adal's pocket. But it was a nice surprise that while Dar is involved, she really just believed she was doing her job honorably.

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 1

Keane is the only way out.

Keane on the phone looked like someone who knew they were being tapped - the way she blew off Carrie - Keane knows something is up.

So its Saul to Carrie to Javadi and Keane vs Dar'a black on black ops team plus the incumbent President.

Just can't figure out why Astrid and Quinn haven't figured Dar out.....and joined the rest of the club.

Long shot - Quinn kills Dar.

• Love 2

Long shot - Quinn kills Dar.

I can only hope. The show may be setting Carrie up to do the deed.  Dar made her client not only look bad, but blow up part of New York, told Quinn she was the cause of his stroke, killed the FBI guy, AND had her kid taken away. That's some righteous revenge right there.

1 hour ago, Bama said:

The actor playing the CIA guy who is helping Saul is named Seth Numrich.

He's been in the AMC Revolutionary War Drama "Turn" playing Benjamin Tallmadge.

Thank you! Thank you! Wracked my brain trying to remember where I knew him from. Ben from Turn, of course. He's a cutie.

Can I just say how refreshing it is that, for once, the big threat isn't some cliched terrorist attack?

These last episodes have been amazing with how they slowly revealed this humongous net that Dar has spun around everyone. 

8 hours ago, Ina123 said:

I don't see how PEOTUS got that Carrie was drunk. Excited and agitated, yes. She just didn't come across as drunk to me. Just a really scared parent who wanted someone to help her get her child back. Of course, we saw her hitting the bottle, but PEOTUS didn't. I don't understand why she didn't at the very least, agree to see Carrie the next day to understand what was going on or have a staff member check it out.

They are sure making the president-elect an  unlikable person.  She better not ask Carrie for any more favors regarding information.

I hated that whole court scene.  First, Carrie doesn't get an attorney specializing in family law?  A lawyer who knows the case workers and judges from working with them?  I hate the attorney Carrie's working with.  He sucked as her advocate.  He sucked at representing immigrants accused of terror. 

The way the social worker dropped the bomb that Carrie... has bipolar!  You would have thought she said that Carrie was a former child murderer the way everyone reacted. 

Carrie sucked at explaining that it wasn't a hostage situation.  Quinn felt it was unsafe to allow Frannie to leave the house.  Stand your ground, Quinn!

• Love 2

The social worker had no right to come to the day care and speak to Frannie without Carrie's knowledge or consent, let alone take her from the day care.  I can't believe the day care director let that happen in the first place.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, Lemons said:

The way the social worker dropped the bomb that Carrie... has bipolar!  You would have thought she said that Carrie was a former child murderer the way everyone reacted. 

Yes, that too. When exactly did she know Carrie had bipolar disorder? Wouldn't it be a courtesy to let Carrie know first during the interview that she's aware of that information on her condition? 

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, roughing it said:

The social worker had no right to come to the day care and speak to Frannie without Carrie's knowledge or consent, let alone take her from the day care.  I can't believe the day care director let that happen in the first place.

They actually do have the right to do that.  It's actually kind of scary what they do sometimes. 

But they don't have a right to use a medical condition against a parent, unless it's affecting the parents ability to care for the child.  And they had nothing to show that her medical condition had anything to do with what occurred at her house.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, RedFiat said:

True. But what if the whole over arching intel that North Korea does in fact have some sort of build up from Iran is true? Javardi hasn't assured me of squat. A cell phone picture that could be staged?   If that's the case, then all of Dar's dastardly deeds makes for a big twist, regardless of how subhuman he is this season.  Dar has always played on the dark side, we know that from the first time he was introduced on the show, so his machinations shouldn't be all that surprising.   BTW I am loving this season. I thought the first couple of episodes were dreary so glad it's picked up. The hour rushes by. 

I agree, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if Dar turned out to be right. What would that mean for Saul though? Out of the loop yet again? At some point they need to give Saul a win, it seems like ages since he was portrayed as having any kind of upper hand.

• Love 2

Two aspects of this episode didn't ring entirely true to me. First, as others have suggested, Frannie seemed to be ripped from Carrie's arms too easily. In real life isn't it much harder to take a child from its mother by force based upon evidence like they had (even ignoring the illegally how some of that evidence came in)? If our standard for severing child custody (even temporarily) were gun possession near a child + a frightened child, wouldn't many millions more children in this country be in foster care?

The second aspect was the glaring guilt that Dar has seemingly broadcast. How can superspies Carrie and Saul not see it or at least suspect it? Even Quinn in his brain-addled state between slurring his words and forgetting others, has the wherewithall to withhold giving Dar information about the blast. Quinn may not be at 100%, but he knows enough to know to be wary of Dar and not trust him. Saul trusted him and conveyed his West Bank advantures. Carrie may not trust him, but isn't wary of him - as she should be - even after being bluntly threatened by him.  "I don't think your realize how exposed you are"  barked at her in front of her own home, with Frannie in tow, should have sent up at least some flairs. 

This second aspect suggests that there might be more to the story than "Dar is evil" and "Iran is complying with the treaty."

• Love 2
2 hours ago, slowpoked said:

Yes, that too. When exactly did she know Carrie had bipolar disorder? Wouldn't it be a courtesy to let Carrie know first during the interview that she's aware of that information on her condition? 

Wasn't Carrie's condition made public in hearings in either season one or two? I seem to recall something along those lines, and it made me wonder how she got stationed anywhere important after that, considering her history. Still, I believe a competent lawyer could have had that stricken from the record or demanded another hearing before an impartial Judge if Carrie's history were just made known in the courtroom. Part of me wanted Carrie to tell the Judge and the Social Worker that she had been, as part of her JOB, responsible for THEIR safety, and she was clearly more capable than the police, whom the Judge had an inordinate amount of faith in, and whom I cannot believe HE would rely upon to keep he and his family safe. Then again, Carrie DID start all this, with having a clearly shaky Peter living with her daughter, door or no, and then leaving her with him to babysit, when waiting 45 minutes would have solved everything. But, hindsight.

Drunk dialing the President Elect is never helpful. I had to laugh that that guy in the pickup truck was willing to give Peter a lift in his condition! I hope Dar gets what's coming to him.

• Love 1

Dar Adal must die or get his comeuppance. Otherwise, I may have to crawl into the TV a la the girl from The Ring and take care of it myself! (Yes, I know she crawled out, not in.)

When Carrie calms down, she may realize that she has infomation about the bombing to trade for PEOTUS's help. 

I wanted to get violent with the social worker, but she was in fact just trying to do the best thing for Frannie. It must be ghastly going through this process in real life. I do wonder if Dar has planted cameras in Carrie's house and he reported the sleeping with gun incident. It would be easy enough for the social worker to corfirm it with Frannie. And even if Carrie is suitable as a caregiver, she hasn't done anything to justify not letting her see Frannie in a supervised visit. Anyone know what would normally happen?

On a less important topic, I appreciated the Brody mention. I know I am probably in the minority,  but I would like for Frannie to meet her siblings some day.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, nara said:

On a less important topic, I appreciated the Brody mention. I know I am probably in the minority,  but I would like for Frannie to meet her siblings some day

I was just saying to my wife during the episode that I would be surprised if the writers hadn't considered how they might go about this.. I may be in the minority but I would love to see Morgan Saylor on this show again. She may not have had the greatest storylines to work with but I think she's a terrific actor.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Ina123 said:

I don't see how PEOTUS got that Carrie was drunk. Excited and agitated, yes. She just didn't come across as drunk to me.

If you're around drunks often enough -- and what politician isn't -- an urgent late-night call from someone bringing you a great idea, or a terrible problem, sets off alarms. We know that Keene is aware that Carrie is an addict. (She offered Carrie wine in their restaurant tete-a-tete, then was apologetic when Carrie refused.) And we've only seen Carrie be unusually self-possessed and circumspect around Keene. But Keene's covert security adviser was suddenly transformed into someone leaning on her client, the President-Elect, to intervene with NYC Child Protective Services; Keene's "Have you been drinking?" may have been half-intuition, half-alarm.

• Love 3
(edited)
9 hours ago, pfk505 said:

I agree, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if Dar turned out to be right. What would that mean for Saul though? Out of the loop yet again? At some point they need to give Saul a win, it seems like ages since he was portrayed as having any kind of upper hand.

This is not to say that I think Dar will get away with his cruelty.  Dar has them all cleverly apart now, but  at some point we'll see  Quinn, Astrid ,Carrie Saul joining forces to take down this black op. I don't see Dar getting out alive, but I do think there will be some explanation for his aggression beyond an obvious power grab. Keane is an interesting character who may think twice about Dar, now that Carrie has exposed her own vulnerability. I just don't think Keane or any politician is trustworthy so ultimately I think she'll judge on intel not loyalty.  So Saul has got to get ahead of what's happening in order to take Dar down.  Carrie and Quinn have been neutralized in this respect, so it's up to Saul. 

Edited by RedFiat
  • Love 2

Regarding Dar-Quinn, it's continuing the bomb that Dar dropped in 5.12 A False Glimmer when he said: "You know, we found him when he was 16. No, I didn't know that. Foster home in Baltimore. The group was looking for a street kid. Someone real but also... pretty enough to turn the head of a Hong Kong paymaster. He was a natural from the start. I believe it. Couple years later, I sponsored him for training. Youngest guy ever."

Most people are assuming that Quinn's a sexual abuse survivor/victim, but I am not so sure. I more about it here and think it might be a bit of retconning on the show's part to be honest ... 

• Love 1

I figured it was Dar who called CPS, and got Quinn out of the picture. 

I really hope Carrie, Quinn and Saul give him what he has coming. What a dick. 

Also, the Iranian guy killing the man who saved him?   Cold. 

They stole that scene from Syriana, where Mark Cross pulls out Clooney's fingernails.