Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E11: Warriors

• Start Topic

I said a few episodes into the series that I was going to hate the conspiracy plot because the eventually revealed motivations would never be enough to merit all the risk (and death) they had to endure to achieve their ends and I still feel that way,  That said, I liked this episode (even though it was all conspiracy) because it was the right kind of ludicrous.  Playing fast and loose with obvious stuff about how the government works is boring but doing the same about assassins can be goofy fun.

That in mind, here's my head canon for why it was up to MacLeish to make sure Catalan died -- because that way the conspiracy increases their hold on him. He's clearly a weak reed and the people running the conspiracy probably know that so they plan various ways to make him more and more complicit.

• Love 3
49 minutes ago, Princess Lucky said:

this show is literally built around dumb decisions like that, so I guess plot dictated that the one and only secret file was taken.

Yes, but most of Agatha Christie's plots are also impossible irl. Yet, nobody cares of it.

I think that Aaron acted in every way like he should - just like Peter in this situation should have acted in order not to rise suspicions at least of incomptence if not worse. If they had been companions in conspiracy, it should have been Aaron who would have given dubious advice which Peter wpuld have reluctantly accepted.

There were several other names in the paper POTUS gave to Emily. Mayve we have seen these people, but I don't remember them. 

I find it quite odd that FLOTUS asked Seth if he had a girl friend. Shouldn't one nowadays use gender-free terms? In any case, it's a private matter.   

• Love 1
2 hours ago, rab01 said:

That in mind, here's my head canon for why it was up to MacLeish to make sure Catalan died

By the same token, if Catalan has half a brain, and as a Special Forces vet he should, he would suspect from the beginning that his minders would have no intention of leaving him alive, and thus he would have alternate escape routes and such to ensure his own survival.  Although that part may have been necessary for the plot, my mind still reels at the fact that he got caught at all.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Roseanna said:

Maybe if the the group behind him are people who benefit of the falling share prieces because they had already sold their shares (as they knew beforehand Kirkland's assassination and how MacLeish would acrt) and could now buy cheap? (In that case, if they are suoperrich, they could be easily identified.)

However, that kind of situation could be arranged later. Why on earth MacLeish wanted to destroy his reputation as hero when it wasn't necessary, unlike killing of Catalan. But maybe he is only stupid?

As for killing Catalan, even without Hannah Wells, an order to kill the assasin straightway rises doubts about motives. It doesn't matter how many lives would have lost (after all, it's their job), capturing him alive would be worth it, in order to prevent any theories of conspiray that would ultimately undermine the credibility of the government.   

I got the impression that MacLeish was "just following orders" (perhaps to protect his kid) as opposed to being a mustache twirling baddie — but I could be wrong. If I'm right, he could be walking a fine line between giving the appearance of following those orders and trying to get caught before the entire evil plan is complete. If that is the plot, anything after blowing up the executive branch and the congress is going to be anticlimactic. Still, if My theory is correct, maybe MacLeish was hoping this:

4 hours ago, Princess Lucky said:

. . . But even if Catalan is dead, the US goverment has his body. Won't they identify him? As having been part of the same regiment(?) as MacLeish? . . .

would happen.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

Although that part may have been necessary for the plot, my mind still reels at the fact that he got caught at all.

Yes, he was a professional assassin, so instead of letting himself to be caught, he would have made a suicide.

4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I got the impression that MacLeish was "just following orders" (perhaps to protect his kid) as opposed to being a mustache twirling baddie — but I could be wrong. If I'm right, he could be walking a fine line between giving the appearance of following those orders and trying to get caught before the entire evil plan is complete. If that is the plot, anything after blowing up the executive branch and the congress is going to be anticlimactic. Still, if My theory is correct, maybe MacLeish was hoping this:

would happen.

I have never believed that Macleish was only blackmailed to the plot. His wife and that women have constantly spoken about "we". He shares their goals. It 's true that he seemed to hesitate to kill POTUS, perhaps because he liked him. Therefore I suspected a bit that he would save him - but then, it wasn't the finale.

But he never hesitated to give an order to kill Catalan, who was his comrade-in-arms. He didn't want to be caught, he was afraid to death of it.

For all his image of hero and experience in the House, he behaved like a man who was completely unprepared to be POTUS.   

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Roseanna said:

Yes, he was a professional assassin, so instead of letting himself to be caught, he would have made a suicide.

I think for a professional the risk of prison is part of the game as is getting killed by security. It is the true believer in the cause that would kill himself, use the suicide bomb vest in cases where he can get close as it is more sure than a single bullet from a great distance. This particular assassin being a professional soldier at one point probably doesn't have the prison background and experience providing with a reason to never go back

On 3/8/2017 at 11:36 PM, Netfoot said:

This can't get renewed, can it?  Not with all the soap-opera grade writing.

No kidding.  I especially liked them thinking Mrs. President has to reassure the staffers, like they're nitwit children, that the president totally wants to see them but they shouldn't tire him out (??? who does this beyond film school?  "Show not tell", people.  Shove the damn staffers into his hospital room wordlessly!  We'll catch up!).  Oh, and Emily and Mrs. President's whole cute little "Before he was shot, the President asked me to do something requiring utmost security clearance and secrecy... which I, of course, will immediately open my mouth and tell you about!"  Shaking my head...

• Love 1
On ‎19‎.‎3‎.‎2017 at 1:23 AM, queenanne said:

Oh, and Emily and Mrs. President's whole cute little "Before he was shot, the President asked me to do something requiring utmost security clearance and secrecy... which I, of course, will immediately open my mouth and tell you about!"  Shaking my head...

I think that could be understood by the circumstance: as a family friend, Emily knew the relationship between Kiefer and his wife and thus assumed he had told his wife and even if he hadn't, she had the chance to tell him before he met Aaron. And if POTUS didn't survive, somebody else had to know.  

with Hanna in custody (especially the way she JUMPED on Mike)

Well, who wouldn't? That is one healthy young man.

it seems like it was written by a committee checking off the necessary boxes of to satisfy a bureaucratic and rigid set of rules

Those of us who watched Castle to the bitter end can only agree.

Just came here to comment that the NYSE is a private corporation and does not need the government to shut down. Gah. That drove me crazy.

Also, aren't there several important stock markets in addition to the NYSE?

POTUS was the only one Hannah could talk. (Earlier, she was stupid not to take photos about the secret file with her mobile phone and send them to Hookstraten, the boy who helps her and newspapers.)  

Maybe none of the writers have one of them fancy new cellular phones that take pictures?

Professional to me implies “for hire” and not 'loyal unto death”. There's no money in suicide.

• Love 1

This entire season, we have been teased about Hannah (or Atwood) potentially sharing information with the President. We finally get her into the room with the President in this episode, and yet they still haven't said anything. If they come up with yet another contrivance (I guess her appendix could burst or something) to prevent her from sharing information next episode then I truly will be done with this show.

They should really tone down the obvious emotive music when showing someone evil. It's okay to be subtle once in a while.

They arrested Nikita? Did they not see which way she was shooting? Or that her bullet completely failed to match the (potential) murder weapon? She did completely the right thing by not talking, though (it never helps, even if you knew her inquisitor wasn't in on the conspiracy, which she certainly doesn't).

OK, apparently Team Evil's plan was to have McLeish succeed as President. But for a Conspiracy that must have taken a huge amount of planning, you'd think they wouldn't have taken a chance on who would be appointed to be VP. It's a huge leap to suppose that merely being the lone Congressman on the "right" party would be the one chosen. They had to be sure that he would be the only (other) survivor - definitely not a certainty - and that he'd be the one chosen to be VP. That's a massive leap for a group who have committed a treasonous act to rely on for their plan to work.

I know he's EVIL and all... but anyone else think that the VP was actually more Presidential than Kirkman? He actually had a point about the markets (they're going to plunge anyway) and keeping them open does send a signal. I assume there is some EVIL Plan behind having the market tank, but what he said was actually true. Kimble was pretty good too - loved her replying to "Are you threatening me?" with "Damn right I am!"

Can people stop getting so surprised when they aren't universally trusted? Somebody blew up the Capitol! Paranoia should be the first order of business! And I'm glad Emily didn't act as if Aaron was already guilty, but said she couldn't tell him.

Wow! First Delinquent wasn't annoying! And Kirkman's powers of recovery are truly remarkable. But I think people would accept the President leaning on his wife immediately following surgery. I doubt people need the President to be like Teddy Roosevelt (who finished his speech after being shot).

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 1:57 AM, Ashand11 said:

I'm pretty sure that Peter can't just kill the guy who may have tried to assassinate the president.  There is a thing called due process.

I actually didn't have a problem believing that - he did provide some justification. But I did think the assassin had been incapacitated (and not killed) when they described him as (I think) "neutralised". I could believe the SWAT team would shoot to kill if ordered to do so, but I doubt they would do so if the target was unconscious.

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 3:50 AM, DC Gal in VA said:

While I like Virginia Madsen's character I find it really hard to believe that she would be stupid enough to tell the traitorous Peter that she's watching him like a hawk

Maybe she's not an idiot and has instructions on what is to be done if she suffers and unfortunate "accident"?

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 2:01 PM, Princess Lucky said:

Finally, Kirkman and Hannah meet. When Mike yelled "clear the floor" I cheered. I was expecting a fake-out, but there she was!

While she's finally connecting with Tom, no matter how much Mike and/or the President believe she's right, she really should still be in cuffs (I'm sure she'd accept that proviso for the meeting).

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 12:34 AM, Dowel Jones said:

I wonder if part of The Evil Plan was to play the market as it crashed, and make a couple of million before Tom recovered.  After all, what's the point of a conspiracy if you can't profit?

That would be brilliantly ruthless, but I find it hard to believe that anyone would take such a risk. This is the most successful act of treason ever perpetrated, but it must have required a huge investment of time and effort. Given that they would be putting their lives on the line if even a sniff of the conspiracy gets out, this has to be driven by political considerations, not monetary ones (the risks were just too high for the likely rewards).

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 9:21 PM, Roseanna said:

I find it quite odd that FLOTUS asked Seth if he had a girl friend. Shouldn't one nowadays use gender-free terms? In any case, it's a private matter.

I think when she's worried about her husband who'd just been shot (and in private) she might not worry whether she was being politically correct. I'm sure she wouldn't have had a problem if he'd said he had a boyfriend at home, she just didn't consider it.