Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Henceforth Known As Property

• Start Topic

Would a Google Alert not register a "fake news" site? That was Maia's attorney who alerted her to the whole thing, presumably because she had an alert set up.

4 hours ago, pithy said:

Would a Google Alert not register a "fake news" site? That was Maia's attorney who alerted her to the whole thing, presumably because she had an alert set up.

It's not Google .It's Chum Hum and the owner could probably care less

• Love 2
(edited)

I thought this episode was a dud.  I never liked the Matthew Perry character.  He's like a cartoon.  The case this week was interesting but so heavy-handed as it relates to Diane and the other female partner.  

One problem I'm finding with this series is that it's spread too thin. There are too many major characters and I'm not really invested in any of them.  They're all over the place with Maia.  What happened with her father's case last week?  I like Marissa but she's better in smaller doses.  I find myself not really caring about Lucca.  The character is underdeveloped.  I feel like the writers need to give us some backstory.  I really want to learn more about the Delroy Lindo character and the black female partner. I'm bummed about Diane. I didn't like what they did with the character at the end of The Good Wife and am surprised she didn't divorce Kurt after finding out about the affair.  And the way she acted around the Matthew Perry character this episode?  They're dumbing her down.  I don't like it.  

I'm hoping this was just an off week.  The Kings and the writers were also inconsistent with The Good Wife and there were mediocre episodes here and there.  

Edited by Noreaster
  • Love 1

And on TGW they couldn't even refer to it as "Reddit" but called it "Scabbit" (barf!). And they use Chum Hum, yet I'm pretty sure Grace at least once refers to a "Google alert." So, . . . yeah, it makes no damn sense.

I didn't mind this episode.  I don't care if they call it Google or Chum Hum.  I felt like the Chum Hum screen was more a call back to TGW than anything.  Google was freely circulating fake news as recently as last year so I'm not going to hold them to historical legal accuracy.  They can't get most legal basics right, anyway.

I had mixed feelings about this episode. I want to care about Maia's storyline, because I like Rose Leslie. (Also, Peter Mark Kendall, playing Maia's squalid ex, is as straight-up creepy as I always assume his character on Chicago Med will prove to be, so -- go, me?) I hate the Mike Kresteva character, and not in any cutesy, love-to-hate way, either. He's just awful. But at least Matthew Perry gets a break from The Odd Couple, where Oscar Madison Lite makes him look like he's dying a slow and ignominious death.)

I didn't think Diane looked like she was in danger of breaking down in her grand jury testimony; I thought she reacted to Kresteva with appropriate horror and frustration.

I did wish several times over the course of the episode that someone had explained to the Kings that "ova" is the plural, and "ovum" the singular. It annoyed me, possibly out of all proportion, that several characters seemed to reverse this, including Research Geezer, who ought to know better, bad hearing or no.

I'm pretty sure, based on the hair and clothing of the person who dropped the "fake news" file off to Kresteva, that Maia herself was playing courier (but my DVR may have cut off the end of the episode). I assume this will lead to Kresteva's hoisting himself with some oleaginous petard or other, based on Dad Adrian's "we stand up for each other" bromide to Maia.

Edited by Sandman
Like I'm not going to work in "hoist with his own petard"? I'm not made of stone, people.
  • Love 1

Whoever thought the "Wacky hijinks" around Maya snooping on her boss or "Deaf guy can't hear!" was funny should stop trying to write comedy. In fact Maya's whole plot was stupid - unless you're able to sue everyone who reads them (so, you're Bill Gates or a national government and probably not even them), trying to stop "lies" about you on Twitter is absolutely counter productive - by highlighting them, you'll ensure more people will see them. You maybe COULD sue Cook County if they try to disseminate them as that's a distinct entity, so Mike Kresteva could get in trouble for trying to use it - he might avoid police brutality suits but I'm pretty sure getting sued for millions for spreading rumours about Maya would be considered a loss.

Don't know if anything else was correct, but I can say that HFEA (Human Fertilisation & Embryology Agency) really IS the body that regulates/monitors genetic procedures in the UK and that paying for surrogacy, beyond basic costs, is illegal (don't know the figure, but I assume they had it right).

On ‎13‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 6:24 PM, Sandman said:

someone had explained to the Kings that "ova" is the plural, and "ovum" the singular.

Actually, that didn't bother me that much, though I do respect a fellow grammar pedant!

Edited by John Potts
  • Love 2