Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 Discussion: Straight Guy of the Week

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

I forgot how this show always made me cry! They've managed to recapture the exact same caring vibe as the original.

What a nice man Tom is. I hope he gets used to the flat cap because it looked great on him (and he needs the sun protection).

• Love 11

I had no idea Jonathan from Gay of Thrones was Grooming Guy! He's a goofball but I love him.

I've only seen the first episode so far. I don't want to binge, I'll try and space out the rest so they don't all blur together. What a sweetheart Tom was. I hope those two crazy kids can work it out.

I'm looking forward to getting to know the fab five better, I was having a little trouble keeping them straight at first. (No pun intended, heh.) So far I really like them all, even extraneous Culture Guy, lol.

• Love 2

I really enjoyed the first iteration of the show and I think they've captured the original charm. I missed the original five, but I am liking this new group too. It's hilarious that Jonathon from Gay of Thrones is on here. Hehe. 

The first episode with Tom was sweet. It was very touching. I'll likely have binged it out all by the end of the weekend. It's too good not to. 

• Love 4

I really can't get over episode 3, I get it was a set up for the black lives matter/police discussion but the pulling over of Karamo pissed me the fuck off and it set a tone for that episode that disgusted me and their bro hug didn't make it better.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 19

Yeah, that was a note I wish they had not hit.

Although, I gotta say, as much as I liked Jai, Karamo seems to be a lot more involved with the make betters.

It took me a bit to warm up to Jonathan because he always seems to be too "on," but when I realized that he actually really cares about the guys (most evident in the second episode), he won me over.

• Love 14

I absolutely loved Tom in the first episode! He broke my heart, though, when he kept calling himself ugly; I thought he was adorable. I hope he and his lovely lady can make it work. The second guy I didn't like at all, though -- I fast forwarded through it.

• Love 5

I only saw the first episode.  I liked Tom, but I can't help but think that he may have some issues of his own.  I don't know.  And I never would have pictured him with the woman who was his third wife.  Maybe she got tired of him being such a slob. 

• Love 1

I love this update.  What a great group of guys.  I now have a serious crush on Antoni.   They all come across really sweet and caring. 

I don't remember the original doing such home makeover though,  did they?

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Clare said:

I don't remember the original doing such home makeover though,  did they?

They did on some, a lot were tiny NYC apartments so the change wasnt as noticeable. I mean Tom's place was large in comparison to some the dudes did on the first series!

• Love 1

Just started watching this. I, too, adored the original fab five, but I’m quickly warming up to these new guys. It’s Tom I really wanted to talk about. He broke my heart when he kept calling himself ugly and stuff. He does seem like a really sweet guy who just got into a rut. I hope he keeps this up and he and Abby reunite. 

The end margarita tip cracked me up so hard!

Ill probably be done watching these by tomorrow lol. 

• Love 4
On 2/8/2018 at 8:18 PM, HoosierJen said:

The second guy I didn't like at all, though -- I fast forwarded through it.

Aww, I liked Neal. But that may because I identified with his awkwardness and how closed off he was at the start.

Despite really enjoying the first few seasons of the original, I had no interest in watching this but somehow found myself burning through most of the episodes today. A worthwhile watch, especially heartening for when you're snowed in/not feeling well.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, krankydoodle said:

Aww, I liked Neal. But that may because I identified with his awkwardness and how closed off he was at the start.

Despite really enjoying the first few seasons of the original, I had no interest in watching this but somehow found myself burning through most of the episodes today. A worthwhile watch, especially heartening for when you're snowed in/not feeling well.

I'm not surprised at Neal being closed off.  The cultural thing is big.  East Asians (I'm of Chinese descent), like South Asians just don't (typically) hug.  Heck, our parents don't even (verbally) tell us they love us.  They show love in other ways (and vice versa).  So it's just the way he was raised - even though he was raised (and likely born) in a western country.  Outwardly saying "I love you" to my parents just feels awkward to me and I don't think I've ever done it.  Do I love my parents?  Sure, but I'd never say I love you back.  It's just...weird.  However, I'm not going to be that way to my hypothetical children.  

Joe has gorgeous eyes (the contacts definitely help!).  His diet joke wasn't too funny though. 

• Love 5

What I really liked was how hard they worked to keep the different guys' lifestyles in mind.  Single AJ, with a white collar job got to go to Lacoste.  Dad-of-six with two jobs Bobby went to Target (and Tan did a GREAT job finding him stylish clothes).  The firefighters (who were all great sports) got fancy hotdogs.

Like I said, I was really impressed by the firefighters.  I was not expecting them to be open-minded, and yet, they were game to Jonathan giving them facials and dancing with the guys.

Edited by starri
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, starri said:

What I really liked was how hard they worked to keep the different guys' lifestyles in mind.  Single AJ, with a white collar job got to go to Lacoste.  Dad-of-six with two jobs Bobby went to Target (and Tan did a GREAT job finding him stylish clothes).  The firefighters (who were all great sports) got fancy hotdogs.

Like I said, I was really impressed by the firefighters.  I was not expecting them to be open-minded, and yet, they were game to Jonathan giving them facials and dancing with the guys.

I didn't even know Lacoste was still a thing!  Or maybe they paid just to get publicity - LOL.  And AJ was really ping-ing Carlton Banks with his work outfits.  Haha.

8 minutes ago, PRgal said:

I didn't even know Lacoste was still a thing! 

When I saw some in a department store a few years ago, I was surprised too.  I remember the IZOD Lacoste days of my youth and I don't know that I'll be in a hurry to get one of their polo shirts again, but they do have some nice pants.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, PRgal said:

I'm not surprised at Neal being closed off.  The cultural thing is big.

Ha, yes! I'm South Asian and everything you wrote about your family goes for mine as well.

Has anyone found the website they created for Joe? It's not linked from his Twitter or Facebook last I checked and I couldn't make out the text for the URL when they showed it briefly. I give him a lot of credit for pursuing what he loves, but watching him perform at the American Legion was rough. I was glad his set at the end of the episode went better.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, krankydoodle said:

He wasn't as cuddly as Tom (I mean, Tom jumped on the mattress with the guys in the store, so cute) but I warmed up to him - plus, he loves his dog so much.  The guys had it right when they said his mother still had that hint of disapproval on her face.  I kind of felt badly that Neal had trouble looking at her.  His sister seemed pretty cool though and what a great place he has, it's made for entertaining.

The caring vibe is definitely there, I was tearing up along with Tom so I'm looking forward to the rest of the episodes.  I miss the original theme song though.

• Love 8
9 hours ago, MerBearStare said:

The third episode - that one was pretty intense. I definitely thought pulling them over at the beginning was set up by the show but apparently not. It honestly kind of pisses me off that a Trump supporter would come on this show. Like you want gay people to help improve your life, but you don't support giving them basic civil rights? Not having read anything about this reboot, I do wonder if they decided to film in Georgia because they would most likely interact with more conservative people than they would in the New York City-area and maybe be able to change hearts and minds. 

Well, at least he allowed them to make him over!  Some would have just shut their door.  I also think going to a red state was the point - it's a "nudge, nudge, wink, wink" kind of thing (not EXACTLY conversion, but to allow them to open up and vice versa.  Those of us who are more "liberal" (I hesitate to use that term because in Canada, I'm considered a conservative - and fairly out-of-place among my former blogging circle) tend to close our minds off to those on the other side - we won't listen to them and they won't listen to us.  However, you put two in a room and get them to talk, then maybe they'll come to a better understanding of each other.  

• Love 7
21 hours ago, starri said:

I was loving every second of that firefighter episode because my husband has been a firefighter for over 20 years and I totally get what they're like.  I could totally see some of the guys on his department totally getting into this, too.  That episode made me so happy in a million ways.  The only thing I personally found weird was when they said that the kitchen is also for the community because they hold community events there.  Same with my town's main firestation, but the public don't go to their living areas/kitchen/bunks. 

Overall, I just adored this show.  I loved how they really took into account who the guy was and what they would be comfortable with related to their makeovers (both personally and their living spaces).  This show just makes me feel so happy inside (the traffic stop excluded.  That was so very wrong).

• Love 3
9 hours ago, PRgal said:

However, you put two in a room and get them to talk, then maybe they'll come to a better understanding of each other.  

I like that they seemed to have an honest conversation. 

Tonally, the traffic stop was off.  I believe the guy's friend would pull them over as a gag - he was the one who submitted the name, the license plate says "Fab 5", there are cameras - but the 5 guys seemed genuinely concerned during the stop.  I can believe the show would re-enact some of it (there were outside shots).  I would have felt better if the guy who pulled them over would have apologized when they were all watching at the end.

I did tear up a little when his mom saw everything.  The quilt made out of his dad's shirts is a sweet idea - my friend's husband died unexpectedly and after some time had passed she also had a quilt made of his shirts for her and their daughter. 

On 2/10/2018 at 9:49 AM, starri said:

AJ coming out to his stepmom made me cry.

Yep, full on waterworks for me.  When his stepmom says something like "I'll always be there for you" and he says "you will?" he looked so vulnerable and young; I was so happy for him that she loves him unconditionally.

More episodes to watch, yay!  So glad to just have something good-natured on.

• Love 7

Only one episode in, but even though I had some initial reservations, that first episode settled them.  They did a really good job of remembering what the original show was actually about. The makeover was often just an excuse on the original show to tell a story about how human beings, at their core, can be decent if they try. A lot of it back then was good casting and selective broadcasting of course. If they encountered big prejudice it wasn't typically aired, and they had the benefit of casting this group of guys as the experts who all always came off like really good human beings, and they were careful that the show was shown helping other good human beings instead of drama magnets like MOST other shows, before and since. 

This version remembered all of that. These guys are a little more comfortable being overt with their sexuality than the original Fab 5. But times have changed. But even though there was clearly some amount of being scripted, with Tom's episode at least you could see that they really were touched by him.  And Tom himself was a goldmine for the show, in terms of finding that spirit of tolerance and heart the original championed. In the end they didn't really do a big makeover, either on his house or him, but he was such a genuinely sweet guy and so grateful that it elevated the episode. 

Bravo! And yes, that's deliberately a pun on where the original aired.  

On to more episodes. I hope it holds up, but I'm heading into them optimistic.

• Love 9

I watched about half the shows (?) in the first season yesterday, though not in order...when one didn't grab me at the start I moved on to the next. I'm still not entirely sold on the new cast. The old cast was pure gold, and I had a serious crush on Ted. Kyan was so pretty and Carson just made me  smile all the time. So far my favorite in the new cast is Antoni - maybe I'm just a foodie. I like Tan as well, though I don't always love what he dresses the guys in. Maybe I just don't care too much for current fashion or something. Karamo is also very pretty and seems sincere. Bobby has been a bit of a non-entity to me so far as a person, but I have really liked most of his decorating, and Jonathan has just been rubbing me the wrong way, though he does seem as though he cares..Maybe it's the fault of the show trying to have a Carson 2.0 in the cast or something, but there's something about Jonathan that doesn't ring true to me, and all the hair-swishing and vamping for the camera was eventually making me feel a little stabby. 

I do think the show overall has hit a surprising number of bull's-eyes with this reboot, considering that I was very skeptical, but, to me it seems as though it still needs a bit of tweaking, which seems, often, to be the fault of the production/directing for trying too hard.

• Love 6
38 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I watched about half the shows (?) in the first season yesterday, though not in order...when one didn't grab me at the start I moved on to the next. I'm still not entirely sold on the new cast. The old cast was pure gold, and I had a serious crush on Ted. Kyan was so pretty and Carson just made me  smile all the time. So far my favorite in the new cast is Antoni - maybe I'm just a foodie. I like Tan as well, though I don't always love what he dresses the guys in. Maybe I just don't care too much for current fashion or something. Karamo is also very pretty and seems sincere. Bobby has been a bit of a non-entity to me so far as a person, but I have really liked most of his decorating, and Jonathan has just been rubbing me the wrong way, though he does seem as though he cares..Maybe it's the fault of the show trying to have a Carson 2.0 in the cast or something, but there's something about Jonathan that doesn't ring true to me, and all the hair-swishing and vamping for the camera was eventually making me feel a little stabby. 

I do think the show overall has hit a surprising number of bull's-eyes with this reboot, considering that I was very skeptical, but, to me it seems as though it still needs a bit of tweaking, which seems, often, to be the fault of the production/directing for trying too hard.

He's a bit OTT (like Carson Kressley x 1,000,000 in terms of being "stereotypically gay") and kind of looks like he smells (and not in a good way).   

• Love 5

I binged watched 5 out of 8 episodes.    I have to say I'm loving the reboot and I definitely could identify with AJ in terms of coming out of the closet.   My story wasn't quite the same but I could relate to the feelings felt when you're about to reveal a part of yourself to your family (even if they already know which was in my case and I suspect the stepmom knew already too).    I also resonated with Karamo and his feelings regarding being pulled over by the cops as a black man (assuming that wasn't all staged).   I myself was pulled over last Thanksgiving for going 35 in a 25 and I was all kinds of shaking when the officer came over.    It was to the point that he made me get out of the car to search me first and then the car for drugs.   At least I got off after he couldn't find anything (though I was flashing back to Angels in Chains where the shady cops planted drugs to make an arrest...crazy I know...LOL).   After I explained to the officer my fear of cops due to different events, he let me know that he wasn't one of the bad ones and he shook my hand which actually helped calm me.      Whew...that was more than I thought I'd reveal.

So anyway if I had to rank the episodes I've seen so far.

1)  Episode 4- AJ

2)  Episode 1-  Tom

3)  Episode 3-  Nascar Guy

4)  Episode 5 -  Devout Christian

5)  Episode 2 - Sasquatch  (I really couldn't get into his case at all though it was nice learning about Indian customs.)

I will say while I'm okay with the cast (though Johnathan is wayyy over the top), I think it would be nice to add a less stereotypical gay guy in the mix.    A bearish guy would actually be great.    Someone along the ranks of an Al Borland from Tool Time.    Or perhaps someone like Chris Stout-Hazard (http://www.rogerandchris.com/).    Chris would definitely shake things up though I do like Bobby (the guy that Chris would replace if he came on instead).

• Love 10

Aw, I like Jonathan.  Yes, he seems "on" all the time but I feel like that's just him.  I don't think he looks like he smells, he always looks clean to me. 

The 70s house was pretty awful, LOL.  The green!  The mural!  I thought Bobby did a great job of redesigning but keeping elements that worked.

The Christian family - in the original QE, I was never a fan of including couples/families.  I would get an impression that the people just wanted free stuff.   So this episode was kind of meh; it was saved by the dad obviously wanting to do something nice for his wife.  I rolled my eyes at the mom telling the kids to never stand on the new couch and then the next shot shows one of them standing on the couch.   I picture the whole nice setup trashed within a few months. 

The firefighters - that fundraiser seemed awfully small; I guess there was a bigger crowd but the show didn't want to have everyone sign releases or blur a lot of faces so they just shot a small group.  I did like how they all got into the dancing and the one firefighter, not the one they were calling Superman heh, was into everything; that was fun.  The guys tried but it just felt kind of impersonal; too many people.  I prefer when the team are working with an individual.

The comedian was my least favorite.  I felt like his brother put him up to it and he didn't really want to do it.  There was some weird vibe going on (even one of the Fab 5 said something along those lines).   The back and forth in the diner with the brother felt tense, not brotherly bantering.  It's awesome that the guy lost so much weight, that takes commitment, but it just seemed like there was maybe some kind of depression beyond the usual "I'm in a rut".  He barely looked over his upgraded place, didn't have any friends come over.  I know the focus was the comedy show - and he wasn't really funny - but there was just something uncomfortable about it to me. 

I hope we get more episodes, just some tweaking with the candidates.  Maybe the Georgia area is cheaper to film.   Overall it's been a fun watch.  It's tricky to combine a fun makeover show with serious social issues, if they continue to film in the area there may be more of that, I just don't know how well they'll be able to do that.

• Love 7
On 2/8/2018 at 6:12 PM, biakbiak said:

I really can't get over episode 3, I get it was a set up for the black lives matter/police discussion but the pulling over of Karamo pissed me the fuck off and it set a tone for that episode that disgusted me and their bro hug didn't make it better.

I didn't like that segment either. I get what they were trying to do, but it didn't play well at all. Nor did the MAGA hat. Sorry, but that would have made me walk.

The straight guy from that ep (Cory?) reminded me of Kenny Powers. Even sounded a bit like him. 

• Love 9

In the episode with the father of six, was anyone else dying a slow death inside watching the eldest daughter spend the whole segment in Target grappling with both her enthusiasm for the handsome gays and her white underwire bra?  My second hand embarrassment was so bad I was flop-sweating. I wouldn’t go back to my teenaged years for anything. 

• Love 2

I've been jumping around on episodes, but would like to add my admiration for episode 4, with AJ's coming out. The original QE was fluffy and fun, but this episode solidified the new version as deeper stuff. I hope they submit this episode for Emmy consideration, it was that good and genuine and loving. Who wasn't nervous for AJ in that moment? And his stepmother just radiated love and support, as any mother would. It was everything a coming out should be, IMO. The whole thing had me in tears.

Also, could not believe how hot AJ was under that beard. Damn! He legit looked like he could be one of the Fab 5.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 8
On 2/18/2018 at 12:35 PM, EarlGreyTea said:

Also, could not believe how hot AJ was under that beard. Damn! He legit looked like he could be one of the Fab 5.

Antoni's reaction to that made me giggle too. He had to get up and get a drink. One of the other guys (Bobby? Tan?) was asking if he was OK. I loved how real that moment was because AJ was definitely attractive and he looked fantastic. Definitely my favourite episode of the season. The whole coming out was shot like a good movie and the crew did very well with it.

• Love 3

I had no idea Jonathan from Gay of Thrones was Grooming Guy! He's a goofball but I love him.

Believe me, I can't comprehend how these words are coming out of my mouth, but he's too much Queen.  Dial it back to Alaska, please.  It's distracting!  I loved the new series--how long ago did the original air? Favorite episodes were #1 and the guy who came out---THAT was a PSA about coming out.  I actually started crying.  The Fireman and the guy with 6 kids were throwaways to me.  I kept thinking, "you're stressed and rightly so.  Why didn't you use some birth control?" He was cute though.  His "reception" was the lamest thing ever.  No food but 1 item that the uber-cute Antoni (he really is the hunkiest of all of them) made.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, WhineandCheez said:

I loved the new series--how long ago did the original air? Favorite episodes were #1 and the guy who came out---THAT was a PSA about coming out.  I actually started crying.  The Fireman and the guy with 6 kids were throwaways to me.  I kept thinking, "you're stressed and rightly so.  Why didn't you use some birth control?" He was cute though.  His "reception" was the lamest thing ever.  No food but 1 item that the uber-cute Antoni (he really is the hunkiest of all of them) made.

The original aired 2003-2007. Yeah, I feel a bit older too when I realized.

When I saw the six kids and they mentioned later how he had grown up in conservative churches, it made a lot of sense. While he and his wife seem more open minded to be on this show, they weren't so liberal about family planning in the past.

I like the Firemen episode, but I like when at the end the Fireman (Brian? I can't remember most their names) admitted that he loved the Fab Five. I thought it was sweet of him to really say that.  

• Love 2

Aww I like Jonathon. He was cute during the AJ episode when they were going through their experiences coming out and he's just like "yeah, there wasn't any hiding it" or whatever. I appreciate that there's a spectrum there and it's ok wherever you fall. Just do you. :)

• Love 11

The original was far superior, but I do enjoy this reboot. I've watched all the episodes except the last one and the one I skipped as soon as I saw a MAGA hat.

I really miss Carson Kressley. The new guys are cute, sweet, and charming, but not witty. Jonathan steals the show most of the time. None of the others stand out to me. Antoni is my least favorite.

Tom was the most endearing of all the guys. The guy who was living in his grandmother's house where time stood still was also really sweet. I almost hated to see them change that place because it reminded me of my grandmother's. I also loved the AJ episode, though the coming out moment was almost too intense for me to watch. I wonder if the step-mom already knew.

Joe the comedian probably got the biggest lifestyle change by moving from the bedroom by his parents to a basement apartment. The photo shoot and new web site also seemed like the most useful "culture" improvement. However, the episode was overall really awkward, largely because it's quite possible that Joe is not that talented at comedy and needs to get a day job. 

It was weird that Joe suddenly had a girlfriend that he had neglected to mention to the fab five. I felt like she and Tom's ex were under a lot of pressure to say yes in front of the camera. 

• Love 3
On 2018-02-20 at 7:41 AM, WhineandCheez said:

Believe me, I can't comprehend how these words are coming out of my mouth, but he's too much Queen.  Dial it back to Alaska, please.  It's distracting!  I loved the new series--how long ago did the original air? Favorite episodes were #1 and the guy who came out---THAT was a PSA about coming out.  I actually started crying.  The Fireman and the guy with 6 kids were throwaways to me.  I kept thinking, "you're stressed and rightly so.  Why didn't you use some birth control?" He was cute though.  His "reception" was the lamest thing ever.  No food but 1 item that the uber-cute Antoni (he really is the hunkiest of all of them) made.

I agree with you.  He makes Carson look...not-so-OTT.  

• Love 2
On 2/15/2018 at 10:24 AM, BrittaBot said:

Me before the show drops on Netflix to Husband: "Do you want to watch Queer Eye with me?" 

"Why would I want to watch a makeover show? I have no interest in that."

*Husband is in room while I finish the last 10 minutes of Tom's episode*

*Husband spends weekend with me binging the rest of the episodes and goes back and watches the first 40 minutes of Tom's episode by himself.

I'll say it again... the original show was only barely a makeover show, and this one is even less so. And it's always been to the benefit of the show. 

I think the personalities of the original Fab 5 were a little more interesting than this group, but in trade this version has gone even further along the path of consciously doing what the original show did less by intent and more by happy accident. For gay viewers the original show created a vision of themselves on screen which could inspire them. For straight viewers the original show broke the ground on TV in showing gay people as actual, normal, full human beings. It did more to show gays as normal than any show before, and maybe since.

This version succeeds because it's still following the same themes. Perhaps a little more consciously... but it's doing so. And it's more overtly tackling issues of sexuality, race, etc. But still insisting on being positive instead of about "drama".  And the guys are growing on me.  By next season they'll have it all down pat. 

• Love 16