Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 Discussion: Straight Guy of the Week

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

On 2/21/2018 at 3:21 AM, Delphi said:

I love Antoni,  he is just so nice,  killer smile,  lovable and pretty as fuck. 

I actually find him kind of boring--at least his personality. I sense they were trying to get someone Ted-like, but missed the mark. Ted was also low key on that show, even if in his later career he broke out, but there was always something lovable about Ted.

Bobby is the one I love here, which is an interesting reversal from the original show where the designer, Thom, was never that interesting to me. But Bobby is a ton of fun and has a personality which sparks. Even though he's not in the same job... I kind of see him as the Carson of this group. He's the glue, who brings most of the charm, and a good part of the humor too.

Karamo is another highlight. He's a fascinating guy, and even though he has the same vague job that Jai had, I get a better sense of the job from him than I usually did from Jai.

Tan is okay. He's actually quite good on screen, but I'm not totally sold on all of his fashion choices.

I don't mind Jonathan as much as some. Yes, he's really "extra", but that also provides some comic relief. And he's a sensitive enough guy, and charming enough that he knows where the line is where he can push the straight people around him with stuff like flirting with them. He's the least likely to fill the show's role of normalization, but at the same time he's the best candidate to push the definition of normal furthest along to get people to accept that gay people act many different ways, and that really they're ALL normal, if you aren't a bigot.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, Kromm said:

I'll say it again... the original show was only barely a makeover show, and this one is even less so. And it's always been to the benefit of the show. 

I think the personalities of the original Fab 5 were a little more interesting than this group, but in trade this version has gone even further along the path of consciously doing what the original show did less by intent and more by happy accident. For gay viewers the original show created a vision of themselves on screen which could inspire them. For straight viewers the original show broke the ground on TV in showing gay people as actual, normal, full human beings. It did more to show gays as normal than any show before, and maybe since.

This version succeeds because it's still following the same themes. Perhaps a little more consciously... but it's doing so. And it's more overtly tackling issues of sexuality, race, etc. But still insisting on being positive instead of about "drama".  And the guys are growing on me.  By next season they'll have it all down pat. 

Yes.  I like that having Tan on the show opens up the discussion of being a child of an immigrant/non "stereotypical" local (American in Neal's case, British for Tan) parent.  I don't remember seeing that on the original. 

• Love 5
(edited)
On 2/14/2018 at 10:18 PM, raven said:

The comedian was my least favorite.  I felt like his brother put him up to it and he didn't really want to do it.  There was some weird vibe going on (even one of the Fab 5 said something along those lines).   The back and forth in the diner with the brother felt tense, not brotherly bantering.  It's awesome that the guy lost so much weight, that takes commitment, but it just seemed like there was maybe some kind of depression beyond the usual "I'm in a rut".  He barely looked over his upgraded place, didn't have any friends come over.  I know the focus was the comedy show - and he wasn't really funny - but there was just something uncomfortable about it to me. 

Oh, poor Joe, Bless his heart. When they said he had a show and that would be his "event" I thought oh, so he is actually a working comedian, ok. I mean, you're in the burbs of Atlanta, but that's doable even if it's hard. But then it comes out his brother is a "comedian" too.. ok... and then his show is hosted by the brother. Oooooh bless your heart Joe. Go back to school or something. Get a job as a video game tester.

Edited by vinnieprice
  • Love 1
On 2/16/2018 at 12:42 PM, cmfran said:

I didn't like that segment either. I get what they were trying to do, but it didn't play well at all. Nor did the MAGA hat. Sorry, but that would have made me walk.

On 2/21/2018 at 7:12 PM, Sesquipedalia said:

The original was far superior, but I do enjoy this reboot. I've watched all the episodes except the last one and the one I skipped as soon as I saw a MAGA hat.

My husband finally just turned the television off because I was ranting so hard about this POS. "We're ALL gonna make America great again, har har! To each his own! [except those that I'm actively supporting taking healthcare, food stamps, legal protections, and their homes away from! MAGA!]!" UGH. I'm mad they let that hypocrite on the show, and mad they put their cast in a situation [being pulled over] that was scary and upsetting, for laughs. I was loving the first two eps but this one left a bad taste in my mouth. 

I will cool off and then give the next episode a try. I love Karamo and his super-groomed facial hair, and hope we hear more about his son. I can't believe he's old enough to have a son old enough to drive. I also love Tan and John Mayer...errr, Antoni. Okay, I actually love them all and hope we get to learn more about their backstories. 

Final quick note: the budget on this show seems to be huge--I didn't watch to the end of the MAGA guy, obvs, but it seemed like they were doing a pretty big house reno there. 

• Love 5
17 hours ago, Pachengala said:

My husband finally just turned the television off because I was ranting so hard about this POS. "We're ALL gonna make America great again, har har! To each his own! [except those that I'm actively supporting taking healthcare, food stamps, legal protections, and their homes away from! MAGA!]!" UGH. I'm mad they let that hypocrite on the show, and mad they put their cast in a situation [being pulled over] that was scary and upsetting, for laughs. I was loving the first two eps but this one left a bad taste in my mouth. 

I will cool off and then give the next episode a try. I love Karamo and his super-groomed facial hair, and hope we hear more about his son. I can't believe he's old enough to have a son old enough to drive. I also love Tan and John Mayer...errr, Antoni. Okay, I actually love them all and hope we get to learn more about their backstories. 

Final quick note: the budget on this show seems to be huge--I didn't watch to the end of the MAGA guy, obvs, but it seemed like they were doing a pretty big house reno there. 

I'm surprised they didn't include a brief segment at the beginning of ep. 1 describing their backgrounds and why they're knowledgeable in their field. Unless I'm remembering wrong, we got none of that.

• Love 2
(edited)

On episode 7 now and have liked all the episodes so far.

Awwww...episode 6 with Remy living in his late grandmother's home. What a sweet guy. It wasn't so much that he needed any "help" with his appearance. The Fab5 were so sensitive to the love he has for his family, especially his father and grandmother. It was kind of like Miss Havisham in Great Expectations, the way nothing in the house was touched. I think they did a great job with the home makeover, incorporating all the little family touches, repainting his mother's bedroom furniture, restarting the family meal traditions. 

I really like this reboot. I adored the original Fab5 and I agree with you all--I think the new Fab5 geniunely care about the men they're helping.

Tan is my favorite so far. I think his personal style is just quirky enough and has a good eye for what these guys need to get out of their boring/unflattering clothes ruts. 

I think Jonathan is good but I wish he'd do something better with his hair. It's ironic he's the grooming guy but his hair just looks so stringy/70's hippie dude.

Edited by kendi
Jonathan's hair
  • Love 4

Can a mod, or @SilverStormm change the title of the forum? The show is just called "Queer Eye" now. I guess it complicates things that the forum also includes discussion of the original series; perhaps one solution is to change the name of the forum to "Queer Eye (for the Straight Guy)"?

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Corgi-ears said:

Can a mod, or @SilverStormm change the title of the forum? The show is just called "Queer Eye" now. I guess it complicates things that the forum also includes discussion of the original series; perhaps one solution is to change the name of the forum to "Queer Eye (for the Straight Guy)"?

Fixed.

• Love 1
On 3/1/2018 at 6:29 AM, sashayshante said:

They truly care about each man they makeover. I never felt the original Fab Five cared all that much.

I agree, but that's what I liked about the original Fab Five. They were so bitchy. My favorite part was at the beginning of each episode when they would storm into the guy's house and start ripping it apart and criticizing everything about him, and then at the end when they would watch and pick apart all his movements as he got ready for his big event. They were so ruthless, but without being overly mean. I am rewatching the old series and loling constantly. The new guys are so earnest, which is sweet but not super funny.

On 3/3/2018 at 12:31 AM, kendi said:

I think Jonathan is good but I wish he'd do something better with his hair. It's ironic he's the grooming guy but his hair just looks so stringy/70's hippie dude.

Yas.

• Love 3

I burned through all eight of these pretty quickly. I think they did a good job of capturing the charm of the original. It's probably best that there are only eight because the original series burned out pretty quickly, and I can see how the formula can become tedious all over again. Each make-better candidate has to be working towards some ultimate "event" by the end of the episode and that can feel too manufactured and staged sometimes.

Honestly when I first saw the new cast I didn't think I would like any of them but I'm amazed how quickly I warmed up to all of them. They did a great job casting this, although I kind of wish they had reduced it to a Fab 4 because honestly, the "culture" guy is just as useless and obligatory here as he was in the original. I like Karamo just fine but aside from setting up that comic's website his participation has been pretty pointless. Antoni's contribution is also somewhat marginal to be honest. The make-betters need hair, clothes and home improvement. Those are always going to be the main three things to focus on so sometimes it feels like the show has to try really hard to make the other two relevant.

My favorite moment was Karamo pouring glitter all over Antoni and Antoni chasing him all over the house. Then he had glitter in his hair for the rest of the segment.

Karamo was a little too handsy with the fireman he called Superman. He seemed to be a good sport but it made me a little uncomfortable. 

I think each episode was good in its own way so I don't know if I have a favorite. They had a nice, diverse assortment of candidates that each brought something new to the discussion. I admit was a bit put off by the Trump supporter though, I just can't help it.

• Love 1

I was very skeptical going in. I was a huge fan of the original and couldn't imagine why they thought they could recreate it. But for the hell of it, I popped in the first episode, and yeah, binged the entire season over two nights. I never, ever cried nearly this much for the original show. I've ended up sobbing at the end of pretty much every episode. (Not the fireman one, but I was so touched by Karamo's statement his 17-year old self who wanted to take a boy to his prom found catharsis in waltzing with a big strapping fireman.)  I'm so taken with Tan, Antoni, Karamo and Bobby. I'm not crazy about Jonathan, but I have a dual prejudice against blatant attention-seekers as well as a problem with long hair on guys. (I'm trying to overcome that last prejudice.)

But this reboot is so emotional!  I'm also, weirdly, falling a little in love with Atlanta! Who knew? I have friends who live there who have always told me how wonderful it is, but I never listen to them - I figured I couldn't trust anyone who lives in Atlanta and likes it.  But I'm starting to see its charms.

Anyway, love love love the new season.

• Love 3

Like many fans of QE Original Recipe, I was more than a little reluctant to give the new Fab Five a chance...but I'm four episodes in now and (mostly) thrilled to pieces. I'm in for the season.

On a side note: is it me, or does Jonathan visually remind anyone else of Dave Grohl circa the "Big Me" video and/or Neil from the BBC's "The Young Ones"?

Dave Grohl 96.jpg

Neil - The Young Ones.jpg

• Love 2

I had sat on the final episode with the firefighter for a bit because I didn't want it to be over, but finally watched it. What a great group of guys, they were so game. Really nice to see. And Jeremy's little speech he gave at the end about how they would never had thought about welcoming gay men into the firehouse before but had learned so much.. boy you know I really hate that it seems we have to have Gay Ambassadors rolling around to prove to people that they are human beings but I am very glad that these hearts are being touched and people are learning.

Some people have found Jonathon's hair suspect for the grooming expert, but when it is down in his interviews it is soooo shiny and smooth and amazing. 

• Love 8

I don't know if anyone has watched the various interviews these guys have done, but Jonathan is easily the smartest, most insightful of the five. He turns it up a few notches for the show but appears to be far more subdued in real life. He also hosts a podcast called Getting Curious that discusses stuff like politics, opiates, and addiction and he uploads yoga tutorials to his instagram. He is way more grounded than he lets on in the show.

• Love 8
On 2/18/2018 at 3:40 PM, Athena said:

Antoni's reaction to [AJ's reveal] made me giggle too. He had to get up and get a drink. One of the other guys (Bobby? Tan?) was asking if he was OK. I loved how real that moment was because AJ was definitely attractive and he looked fantastic.

He was definitely checking Remington out when he was showing off his new look, too. I think he may have a type.

On 3/5/2018 at 12:34 PM, iMonrey said:

Karamo was a little too handsy with the fireman he called Superman. He seemed to be a good sport but it made me a little uncomfortable. 

I would wager just about anything that there was a conversation that we didn't see where he confirmed that it was OK. Outside of the show, just looking at a guy the wrong way can get you in serious trouble, so we tend to be pretty careful about that kind of thing (until we know or assume that the other person is gay. Then we're at least as bad as I hear straight men are to women.)

• Love 1
On 2/11/2018 at 9:17 PM, raven said:

He wasn't as cuddly as Tom (I mean, Tom jumped on the mattress with the guys in the store, so cute) but I warmed up to him - plus, he loves his dog so much.  The guys had it right when they said his mother still had that hint of disapproval on her face.  I kind of felt badly that Neal had trouble looking at her.  His sister seemed pretty cool though and what a great place he has, it's made for entertaining.

The caring vibe is definitely there, I was tearing up along with Tom so I'm looking forward to the rest of the episodes.  I miss the original theme song though.

I'm Indian and totally felt for Neal.  His general sense of humor reminded me of all the engineers I work with.  My family is not into hugging and saying "I love you".  In fact, my mom used to say that those things were things that "Americans" did.  They only say I love you to my children (their grandchildren) and hug them.  I think there may be this feeling among immigrant Indians that if you are too soft on your kids, they won't thrive. We get pushed really hard to succeed.  I think Neal hit it on the head when he said he wanted his mom to stop worrying about him.  

And yes, Neal's mom was still disapproving.  Sadly, with many Indian families no matter what you do, it isn't "enough".  You could be a doctor/lawyer/engineer who allowed for an arranged marriage, had a bunch of kids who speak your Indian language and still, there would be SOMETHING that wasn't as good as someone else.   But they still love us, just in different ways (usually food or gifts). 

• Love 7

I burned through the season in less than 24 hours. I cried at every episode except for Joe the comedian's. And here's some great news: Queer Eye's Tom and Abby Are Engaged—and He Wants the Fab 5 to Be His Groomsmen!

I think/hope the show is helping to fight toxic masculinity. The participants were able to see that being open and vulnerable didn't hurt them, and in fact, they learned a great deal, had a blast and made friends with people that they never would've normally.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 6

I’m watching the episode with Dre- when I first saw him and his boyfriend I thought “lawd you better hold onto that beef cake”. Not that Dre isn’t totally adorable and handsome in his own right. 

I cannot speak from experience but as a black person I can understand Dre’s desire to be able to “pass” as straight for as long as possible. Especially as a young man who didn’t naturally conform to the stereotypes our culture attributes to gay men, the fear of being “found out” must’ve been oppressive. 

• Love 2

I've only watched the first 2 episodes thus far.  I enjoy the show, but I do have 2 gripes. 

Number one, the grooming guy (Johnathon?)'s hair is atrocious.  He has a handsome face, and that long, limp hair of his is hideous.  I have a difficult time taking him seriously as a hairstylist when he has that horrible mess on his head.

Number two, the clothing guy (Tan)...he dressed the first two guys exactly the same!  Ugly printed shirts with the sleeves rolled up.  Sorry, but that didn't suit either of their styles, particularly Tom.  Honestly, the only guys that can pull off that look are skinny gays or hipsters.  The rolled up sleeves were so tight on Tom that it looked like it was cutting off his circulation.  I noticed on both men he even gave them the exact same white sneakers.  Again, I've only seen the first 2 episodes but I hope this isn't a trend with Tan. 

• Love 3

I loved the original Queer Eye series. Especially Carson and Tom. And I still love the concept of the show. I need a couple more seasons to decide which (if any) of the new Fab 5 I like or don't like. I definitely like the guy who does the cooking lessons. 

I'm also wondering if that segment with the Fab 5 getting pulled over by the cop (who nominated his cop co-worker for the show) wasn't producers idea and the Fab 5 new in advance. I found it odd that the Fab 5 driver (Karamo?) told the cop he didnt have his drivers license on him because he was filming a TV show.   Never heard THAT excuse before and I watch "Live PD" every Friday! Lol! 

• Love 1

I knew as soon as I saw Jonathan that there'd be comments about his hair being outdated, gross, etc.  So much hate for long hair on men these days! It used to be popular/normal. Long hair on men doesn't mean the person is "dirty" or "smelly" any more than long hair on a woman would mean that. 

I was a little annoyed at Jonathan at first but it wasn't because of his hair.  I thought his personality was just so OTT, but now he's grown on me and I love him.  BTW, I think he looks more like Anthony Kiedis from Red Hot Chili Peppers than Dave Grohl or Neil from Young Ones. 

Anthony in the 90s: 

Anthony-kiedis-blender-anthony-kiedis-13003763-400-500.jpg.4c389e234426b09def3eb9c1c8be9753.jpg

Jonathan (& Karamo) from Jonathan's instagram: 

IMG_0873.jpg.b039a2a5f038aedcf325447deb01acbb.jpg

• Love 5
29 minutes ago, iggysaurus said:

Long hair on men doesn't mean the person is "dirty" or "smelly" any more than long hair on a woman would mean that. 

My issue with his hair is that it doesn't look healthy. It looks dry and has tons of fly aways and split ends.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3
On 3/20/2018 at 10:09 AM, chenoa333 said:

I'm also wondering if that segment with the Fab 5 getting pulled over by the cop (who nominated his cop co-worker for the show) wasn't producers idea and the Fab 5 new in advance.

Yeah, it looked totally staged to me. I think that's the only thing I don't like about the reboot. They shoehorn topics in rather than just going with the flow. But that's minor, because it's not blatant.

I love a man with long hair and I love Jonathan (and his shiny tresses!). I like that he's actually a hairdresser and seems to really know his stuff!

• Love 1
On 3/20/2018 at 10:48 AM, Phoebe70 said:

I've only watched the first 2 episodes thus far.  I enjoy the show, but I do have 2 gripes. 

Number one, the grooming guy (Johnathon?)'s hair is atrocious.  He has a handsome face, and that long, limp hair of his is hideous.  I have a difficult time taking him seriously as a hairstylist when he has that horrible mess on his head.

Number two, the clothing guy (Tan)...he dressed the first two guys exactly the same!  Ugly printed shirts with the sleeves rolled up.  Sorry, but that didn't suit either of their styles, particularly Tom.  Honestly, the only guys that can pull off that look are skinny gays or hipsters.  The rolled up sleeves were so tight on Tom that it looked like it was cutting off his circulation.  I noticed on both men he even gave them the exact same white sneakers.  Again, I've only seen the first 2 episodes but I hope this isn't a trend with Tan. 

I agree with you on both counts.  If a guy has long hair he needs to have some sort of style to it and needs to take care of it.

Loved the first rendition of the show and while I do like the show and the guys and guests I find it to slow moving.  I find myself speeding through to the reveal.

On 3/20/2018 at 7:48 AM, Phoebe70 said:

Number two, the clothing guy (Tan)...he dressed the first two guys exactly the same! 

I thought that a bit at first, but I realized he is in Georgia in the summertime. There are only so many looks that you can do that are fashionable and comfortable. So all the makeovers tend to have camp style shirts with some pattern options, but he did mix in, where needed, professional dress options. When you see the totally different look he gave Pete Davidson in New York (video is in the media thread), he really does have range.

• Love 3
On 2/16/2018 at 12:42 PM, cmfran said:

I didn't like that segment either. I get what they were trying to do, but it didn't play well at all. Nor did the MAGA hat. Sorry, but that would have made me walk.

The straight guy from that ep (Cory?) reminded me of Kenny Powers. Even sounded a bit like him. 

This episode annoyed me too. It's the whole coddling of the MAGA crowd, you can't say, "this is is bullshit!," because "that's why you lost the the election, you're alienating real America." You have to sidle up and be understanding of why they want to restrict other people's rights, because if you move too fast they'll get scared. I just hate that these guys need things to be personalized to be empathetic. Unless they personally know someone who is gay or a person of color they have no ability to understand or care about anyone who is different. And I think they can't extrapolate, they seriously just think well, you're not like those other fill in the minority.

I loved Neal, he's right up my alley. Looks (both incarnations) and personality.

AJ made me sad that he was so scared to be himself.. and also how old was Haide?! She looked great.

In general, I prefer the single guys. I think it's weird to re-do the family home on this show.

And I'm sorry, but it's super shitty that they didn't get Vera a well fitting dress and bra. Dumb ass Bobby Camp got nice fitting Target clothes.

Edited by Megan
  • Love 6
On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 4:22 PM, iggysaurus said:

I knew as soon as I saw Jonathan that there'd be comments about his hair being outdated, gross, etc.  So much hate for long hair on men these days! It used to be popular/normal. Long hair on men doesn't mean the person is "dirty" or "smelly" any more than long hair on a woman would mean that. 

I don't mind long hair on men, in fact some men look better with long hair.  The problem with Jonathan's is that it doesn't appear healthy.  It looks dry and limp and just kinda hangs there. Plus, it seems like it gets in the way when he cuts hair (he pulls it back into a top bun).  His personality was grating in the beginning but the more I watch the more I like him.  He seems like a cool guy.

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 2:57 AM, Megan said:

And I'm sorry, but it's super shitty that they didn't get Vera a well fitting dress and bra. Dumb ass Bobby Camp got nice fitting Target clothes.

I agree that Vera's outfit was cringe-worthy, and I felt terrible for her.  But, the Fab 5 normally doesn't make-over the spouses or family members.  And it would be weird for them to single-out Vera.  Hopefully after her family watched the episode they got her some better-fitting clothes and bra!

• Love 1
On 2/26/2018 at 12:03 AM, Kromm said:

I don't mind Jonathan as much as some. Yes, he's really "extra", but that also provides some comic relief. And he's a sensitive enough guy, and charming enough that he knows where the line is where he can push the straight people around him with stuff like flirting with them. He's the least likely to fill the show's role of normalization, but at the same time he's the best candidate to push the definition of normal furthest along to get people to accept that gay people act many different ways, and that really they're ALL normal, if you aren't a bigot.

Very well-said!  I find myself laughing the hardest at Jonathan's comments.  Like in the fireman episode where the dance instructor says "And what would a waltz be without a twirl?" (or something), and Jonathan just immediately says "Not any world I want to live in!"  HA!  But behind the one-liners, I think there's a lot of caring and good feelings under there.  There was one episode where he was working with a father and his daughters on making some homemade exfoliating scrub, and he seemed to recognize that the value for the guy was just spending time with his children.  Using his prescribed "specialty" of beauty care to accomplish something more meaningful for the guy is a really nice way to build a bridge between him and somebody who's quite a bit different from him.

And that's what I really appreciate about this new Fab 5.  They don't have to have the client walk away from this experience with all of this new knowledge, but they're making connections and drawing people out.  The makeover stuff is the tool, but the self-confidence and new perspective are the real changes that will make a difference for these guys.  

• Love 9
On 3/9/2018 at 11:54 AM, 2727 said:

Tom from the first episode and his ex-wife Abby are back together!

That's so cool and heartwarming. However, I'm pretty sure some of the guys who come on this show are just looking for a free home makeover. I doubt they would want to put themselves on national tv if the "make over" was simply clothes, learning how to cook a good meal and culture. 

(edited)
On 2/10/2018 at 9:49 AM, starri said:

AJ coming out to his stepmom made me cry.

I'm super in love with AJ.  Obviously, I'm not his type (LOL) but damn.  He seems perfect!

On 2/13/2018 at 8:49 AM, Jynnan tonnix said:

So far my favorite in the new cast is Antoni - maybe I'm just a foodie.

It doesn't hurt that he's super beautiful

I also had a crush on Remington, though not as severe.  And of course he's one of the few straight guys LOL

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 3/22/2018 at 10:00 PM, Nordly Beaumont said:

I love a man with long hair and I love Jonathan (and his shiny tresses!). I like that he's actually a hairdresser and seems to really know his stuff!

It really struck me that he's a white hairdresser working with several black clients on the show.  For me, as an Asian woman, I'm done with non-Asian people touching my hair because some have been very offensive and ruined my hair, etc (even permanently - I had to wait years for it to grow out.)  I'm really curious if Jonathan is an effective hairstylist for the black participants - I thought AJ and Remy looked fantastic but I have no idea as a non-black person if he really knows his shit or not!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

It really struck me that he's a white hairdresser working with several black clients on the show.  For me, as an Asian woman, I'm done with non-Asian people touching my hair because some have been very offensive and ruined my hair, etc (even permanently - I had to wait years for it to grow out.)  I'm really curious if Jonathan is an effective hairstylist for the black participants - I thought AJ and Remy looked fantastic but I have no idea as a non-black person if he really knows his shit or not!

AND....these people all live in Atlanta, Georgia! Summer time is extremely humid so trying to KEEP your hair perfectly coiffed is nearly impossible. 

On 4/8/2018 at 3:26 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

He seemed to use black barbers to help with the haircuts on those guys... Though he seemed to be giving really clear direction on what the cut should look like, and he seemed to know a lot about the upkeep later when he was talking to I think Remy about grooming his hair after the hair cut. So I do think he knows, but he also knows his limits and where to get assistance (or maybe just set the guys up with a local barber to keep their haircut nice)

• Love 6

Never really watched the original cast and show. But I was bored, flipping through Netflix and decided to give it a go. Have to say...I LOVE THESE MEN. I say “these men” instead of “the show” because without all of differences in ethnicity and personality, this show would be a snooze fest.  I have to say they all make me laugh, cry and reflect on today’s societal issues.  I wish they would do a show where these 5 men would makeover women, their advice is not just for males. 

• Love 2
On 3/1/2018 at 8:04 PM, Pachengala said:

I watched the first two episodes.  Stepped away from and eventually skipped the third episode and I'm finally catching up.  That's the thing that I'm really wondering about as well.  They're doing about three rooms in each episode, including kitchens, and they can't be cheap.

• Love 1

Netflix generally does not cheapen out on productions. I think this show does save more money than some of their other shows in that it is shot exclusively in the Atlanta, GA area and environs. There may also be some sponsorship and endorsements (their vehicle for one). It also seems the shooting schedule is vigorous so it's probably not as laid back as the show makes it out to be. 

I'm so excited I've found this show. Never watched the original, and am tearing through this season one workout at a time.

One note on the pulling over moment - I've read elsewhere that the pull over was arranged with production, but that it was NOT arranged that Karamo would be driving. The guys decide who is going to drive each day, alternating, and he happened to grab the keys that morning as they set out. To me even more telling was his reaction when the guys were playing with the siren in the driveway (which definitely seemed spontaneous). For as much as the episode focused on the dynamic with police officers, there's also A LOT to unpack in how much fun some of the other Fabbers were having with the siren - Jonathan in particular, if memory serves - without realizing how it was affecting Karamo. That's worth talking about too, and I hope they did.

I kept seeing the promo for the trailer and finally decided to check it out.  For a reboot that I had no interest in watching, I think they really nailed this one.  I haven't seen the original, though.  Looking forward to season 2.

I don't have a favorite because each guy brings something different to the table.  Their personalities mesh well and they're so sweetly supportive of each other on Instagram.  Jonathan is everything, and I don't mind his hair.  Actually, I got jerky hipster vibes from his appearance and thought I wouldn't like him.  But he's awesome.  He toes the line between being annoying and endearing, but his actions are genuine and I don't get an unkind vibe from him at all.  

I can see why people find Antoni boring, but I like him.  And it's not just because he's hot.  I do think they need to give him better cooking segments because I'm assuming he does more than guacamole.  Apparently they cut some stuff out, so maybe they'll work that in for s2.  But I think Antoni's subdued nature works for the show.  In AJ's episode, he seemed to gravitate more to Antoni than Tan (when they were choosing clothes) because Antoni is more conservative in how he dresses, not just his behavior.  And that was when Antoni told AJ that he had experimented with trying brighter colors because that's how he originally thought gay men were supposed to dress.  But he realized that didn't work for him, so he stuck to what he did like; jeans and logo tees.  I liked that, it gave Antoni a little more depth.

Keramo may be the culture guide, but he's really more of a therapist/counselor, which is fine.  He's able to get more into the psyche of the people around him, moreso than just learning about what cultural things work for them.

Bobby is kind of the unsung hero of the Fab 5, imo.  He doesn't have as much of social network presence, but he has a real talent for home design.  That takes a lot of work, and Bobby makes a real effort to incorporate the guy's interests and past into the new design.  I also loved his discussion about religion.

I like Tan, but his concern about dressing for your partner is kind of dispiriting.  I like bucking the double standard of women dressing for their man, but I hope Tan takes more concern for the person dressing for their own brand, rather than their partner.  Because people break up and relationships end for one reason or another.

• Love 2
On 6/8/2018 at 9:13 PM, Scarlett45 said:

Are the episodes coming June 15th considered a Season 2?

OH MY GOD.  I'M SO HAPPY.  It will take an enormous strength of will to not watch them all immediately.  I probably will.

• Love 3

Are the episodes coming June 15th considered a Season 2?

From what I understand, the next batch was filmed at the same time as the first. So it's really more like Season 1b even if Netflix is calling it a "new" season. They seem to be doing that more frequently now - dropping one half of a season's worth of episodes for a show then holding the second half for a few months. 

• Love 2
On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 7:04 PM, Meedis said:

I will say while I'm okay with the cast (though Johnathan is wayyy over the top), I think it would be nice to add a less stereotypical gay guy in the mix.    A bearish guy would actually be great.    Someone along the ranks of an Al Borland from Tool Time.    Or perhaps someone like Chris Stout-Hazard (http://www.rogerandchris.com/).    Chris would definitely shake things up though I do like Bobby (the guy that Chris would replace if he came on instead).

Ironically Bobby in recent photos seems to be growing his beard out and appears a bit bearish.    Perhaps he'll keep this look when filming future episodes and he can become the bearish like guy.  LOL.