Type keyword(s) to search

AI in the Media

• Start Topic

And, really, I always liked the simple format of the show -- auditions in a quiet room without an audience, then move on the Hollywood week, then onto the live shows.  I didn't even want the format to change, and yet something would need to change.

I too prefer the older simple format. No instruments for auditions, no guitar, saxaphone or harmonica. Wasn't Hollywood week also acapella back then? I also like the semis round where it was just piano-only accompaniment, and a Wildcard round before Live shows. After that is do or die. None of these judges saves or twitter saves bullshit.

• Love 1

Idol Champ Nick Fradiani Talks AGT Past, Thwarted Rap Covers, 'Give and Take' With New Boss Borchetta

Very interesting interview by Michael Sleazak with Nick. He appears to be a self-aware, charismatic, intelligent individual who is not delusional about his chances of making it post Idol. One interesting thing I learned about Nick is that he has a Masters in education. Idol really doesn't allow the viewers to get to know the contestants anymore. 

Other things to note: the Executive Producers cannot flat out tell a contestant no to song choices, but they can try to persuade the contestant to sing something else. The remaining contestants are given a chance to talk with a therapist after each elimination. He wanted to perform No Diggity (as well as other rap songs) but the writers of the song would not allow clearance. He's very aware of his vocal strengths as well as his limitations and knew that some of his performances were coming across as boring. 

• Love 1

Haven't seen the interview yet but will find time later to watch it. Part of Nick's likability is that he has always come across as level headed, intelligent, and humble and I think a large reason for it is that he's the first winner in a long long time who has age and experience under his belt. He's not a bright eyed 16 year old just making the rounds for the first time. I'm sure he's aware of what past Idols have done and how the last runner ups from the last couple seasons were not signed by any major label, that Caleb and Candice did not have great experiences with their labels, etc. Anyone going into this process would be wise to do research on the past seasons and look at what other contestants have done to make albums, such as crowd funding.

• Love 2
(edited)

It's a good interview--and a great pity we couldn't get to know the contestants like that while they're still competing. I was impressed. 

I took particular note of how he made the point--in the most diplomatic way possible--that it's better to work with people (and get them around to your way of thinking) than to confront them...especially if you might end up working for them.

ETA: Michael Slezak always gets the best out of his interviewees.

Edited by rereader2
  • Love 2

Wait. Nick has a Masters in......Education? Why then does he begin sentences with, "Me and my dad...", "Me and my band..", "Me and the coach.." . Believe me, I like him and am happy he won, but his poor grammar always bugged. Now I learn that he has a graduate degree - in Education, of all things. Yikes.

• Love 1

Sometimes "Me and my dad" or "me and my band" is correct. "I" is often used incorrectly in such constructions.

Whoa!  My English teachers taught:  "My dad and I" or "My band and I", as proper English.  The implication by reversing the order is: "Me...", and "Me...", and everything other than "Me" is secondary (at best).

• Love 2
(edited)

I wish Nick had been able to sing No Diggity.  Now that would have been interesting!

I actually wish that Nick had sung the song he said he didn't want to sing -- "3 A.M." by Matchbox Twenty.  I wasn't clear on why he didn't want to sing that song, but it's a great song and I think he would have done a good job with it.

As for the grammar issues -- Nick speaks pretty well, for the most part, with an occasional slip up here and there (we all have them!).  I agree, though, that it's rarely correct to say "Me and..." -- although it is very commonly used by many, many people.

I have heard/seen "I" used incorrectly in sentences.  An example would be something like, "The landlord called my wife and I."  That is not correct.  However, it would also be incorrect to say "The landlord called me and my wife."  "The landlord called my wife and me" or "The landlord called us" is how that sentence should play out.

I don't know of any cases in which it is okay/correct to say "Me and my wife" in that specific, direct way, but I suppose that, maybe, someone could say something like "The landlord called me.... and my wife."  It wouldn't be correct either, but at least it would sound a little better than saying "The landlord called me and my wife."

Edited by Sherry67
  • Love 2

Sometimes I think that people who say "Me and...." are just talking casually, depending on the situation and the people around them.  (Sometimes I say "ain't" when I'm around friends and family.)  They know it's not correct grammar, whereas if they're in a formal setting or around people they don't know, they do use correct grammar.  Maybe that's the case with Nick. 

(edited)

Please give examples?

If you drop the "and ???", you will almost always know. Or if you replace "me" with "him" and "I" with "he", that will also tell you.

Ex: "The prom committee hired me and my band to perform at the dance." You would never say "The prom committee hired I to perform at the dance," or "The prom committee hired he to perform at the dance"; therefore it is incorrect to say "The prom committee hired I and my band" (or even "The prom committee hired my band and I").

Whoa!  My English teachers taught:  "My dad and I" or "My band and I", as proper English.  The implication by reversing the order is: "Me...", and "Me...", and everything other than "Me" is secondary (at best).

Your English teachers were incorrect.

Edited by rereader2

If you drop the "and ???", you will almost always know. Or if you replace "me" with "him" and "I" with "he", that will also tell you.

Ex: "The prom committee hired me and my band to perform at the dance." You would never say "The prom committee hired I to perform at the dance," or "The prom committee hired he to perform at the dance"; therefore it is incorrect to say "The prom committee hired I and my band" (or even "The prom committee hired my band and I").

That's not the usage that was being objected to:

"Me and my band performed" is ungrammatical.

That's not the usage that was being objected to:

"Me and my band performed" is ungrammatical.

The construction queried was not "Me and my band performed," but "Me and my band."

Wait. Nick has a Masters in......Education? Why then does he begin sentences with, "Me and my dad...", "Me and my band..", "Me and the coach.." . Believe me, I like him and am happy he won, but his poor grammar always bugged. Now I learn that he has a graduate degree - in Education, of all things. Yikes.

It can be correct at the start of a sentence. For example, in standard SPOKEN English, it is acceptable to say, "Me and my band, we performed at the prom last night." 

(edited)

The construction queried was not "Me and my band performed," but "Me and my band."

It can be correct at the start of a sentence. For example, in standard SPOKEN English, it is acceptable to say, "Me and my band, we performed at the prom last night." 

If someone said, "Me and my band, we performed at the prom last night," I would not care if it is acceptable in spoken (or casual, conversational) English.  It is technically incorrect.  Simply say, "My band and I performed..." That is correct, and how hard is it to say?  Not difficult.  Lots of incorrect things are spoken every day and no one corrects the people saying them -- but they are still grammatically incorrect.

Edited by Sherry67
  • Love 4

Nick has a degree in Education, not English, so I don't really see the big deal. I've seen other contestants speak far worse than he does, like using lots of "ums" or Lee DeWyze used to constantly use the expression "ya know?" that drove me INSANE. I'm sure Nick had bigger things on his mind, probably very little rest as well, than thinking about whether or not he was using proper grammar. I mean, come on. Most people probably didn't even notice or care. I can find far worse examples of celebrities to pick on for their speech than Nick.

• Love 3

I actually wish that Nick had sung the song he said he didn't want to sing -- "3 A.M." by Matchbox Twenty.  I wasn't clear on why he didn't want to sing that song, but it's a great song and I think he would have done a good job with it.

From what he's said, it's because he knows he sounds similar to Rob Thomas, even though he likes it, wanted people to see something different that early in the competition.   I think probably later in the competiton when he did Bright Lights, people knew more about what he could do, and maybe it's a lesser known song too. 

(edited)

Whoa!  My English teachers taught:  "My dad and I" or "My band and I", as proper English.  The implication by reversing the order is: "Me...", and "Me...", and everything other than "Me" is secondary (at best).

Your English teachers were incorrect.

Then mine were, too, but I am old. Who knows what they're teaching now.

One never refers to oneself first. It's correct to determine whether to use "I" or "me" by removing the other party from the sentence; another way is to replace [other party and self] with "us" or "we" to see which sounds correct; use "I" when "we" sounds correct and "me" when "us" sounds correct. (He gave it to you and me. He gave it to us. You and I gave it to him. We gave it to him.) Subject vs. object.

Judy Garland songs referring to self and an inanimate object for the sake of artistic impression are not quite the same as referring to two actual live parties. Many things are acceptable for the sake of art that aren't correct. I'd expect someone with a Masters in any discipline to know better, and to automatically -- especially in an interview -- speak that way; it shouldn't require thought.

That said, it was very nice to listen to that interview with someone who is otherwise well spoken. As long as he can continue to sound more intelligent than 99% of the otherwise unemployable "entertainers" out there I can cringe through the occasional slip-up

Edited by designing1
(edited)

Nice try with the songs and videos (all of which I'm sure we know), but the "Me and..." is still technically incorrect. 

Let's not mistake what is "acceptable" and common for what is "correct."  They are not necessarily one and the same.

By the way, you forgot to post "Me and Mrs. Jones" by Billy Paul -- which is also incorrect.

I don't expect most "artists" (doing anything creative) to abide by grammatically correct sentences in their work.  They can express themselves better by not going that route, quite frankly. 

An example would be the famous Counting Crows song, "Mr. Jones."  Adam Duritz repeatedly sings the phrase "Mr. Jones and me..." throughout the song, but he always finishes the sentence in a way that is grammatically incorrect:

"Mr. Jones and me tell each other fairy tales..."

"Mr. Jones and me look into the future..."

"Mr. Jones and me stumbling through the barrio..."

Of course, the correct way to say it would be, "Mr. Jones and I look into the future..."  But would that sound good in a song?  Would the "I" fit into the tempo and general feel of the song?  Of course not!!  It's a great song, and it sounds great just the way it is!

As I said, Nick speaks pretty well in general, with just an occasional misstep -- and I certainly don't expect him to sing or write songs in a grammatically correct way.  I don't always worry about writing things in a totally correct way -- whether it's on forums or in articles, or wherever -- and I know other people don't.  There are some areas of English that can get tricky, but I do the best I can when I am thinking about it.  We all manage to communicate one way or another. :-)

Edited by Sherry67
  • Love 1

The latest issue of Entertainment Weekly ranked the AI winners.

Their rankings:

1-Kelly Clarkson

2-Carrie Underwood

3-Jordin Sparks

4-Phillip Phillips

5-Nick Fradiani

6-Fantasia Barrino

7-David Cook

8-Scotty McCreery

9-Kris Allen

10-Ruben Studdard

11-Taylor Hicks

12-Lee DeWyze

13-Candice Glover

14-Caleb Johnson

They also listed what they called "The Biggest Losers":

Jennifer Hudson

Adam Lambert

Chris Daughtry

(edited)

Rick Kitchen, Thanks for the info! Interesting how Nick is listed at #5 already. Odd, since he's only been a winner for a few weeks now. Wondering what criteria they are using. Did they say? 

Edited by DonnaJo

They didn't say.  There's no introduction to the listing, just a critique of each one.  Their comments about Nick:

He'll have to prove himself now that he's won, but with his take on Katy Perry's "Teenage Dream", Fradiani became one of Idol's most versatile contenders.  Although there was no shortage of talent in Season 14, his radio-ready voice (and teen-heartthrob appeal) shows he's got what it takes to be a star.

• Love 1

Their rankings:

1-Kelly Clarkson

2-Carrie Underwood

3-Jordin Sparks

4-Phillip Phillips

5-Nick Fradiani

6-Fantasia Barrino

7-David Cook

8-Scotty McCreery

9-Kris Allen

10-Ruben Studdard

11-Taylor Hicks

12-Lee DeWyze

13-Candice Glover

14-Caleb Johnson

Jennifer Hudson

Adam Lambert

Chris Daughtry

The cackling hens were incipit that Comb over Cook (who has been elevated to Sainthood in the Idol bubble) was rated so low.  Truth is, he hasn't been relevant in years, despite the ridiculous pimping from his fanatics.  He doesn't have a label, is now resorting to crowd funding and is playing to gigs of 300 people.  His last single disappeared from ITunes within 2 weeks.

He sounded nervous at the beginning, but he settled down.

Yes, he sounded a bit nervous at first but I thought he hit his stride and finished strong.  I think it's become customary for AI winners to perform at this concert because I remember Candice did it last year.

The cackling hens were incipit that Comb over Cook (who has been elevated to Sainthood in the Idol bubble) was rated so low.  Truth is, he hasn't been relevant in years, despite the ridiculous pimping from his fanatics.  He doesn't have a label, is now resorting to crowd funding and is playing to gigs of 300 people.  His last single disappeared from ITunes within 2 weeks.

I do like David Cook, but honestly I can see why he has drifted out of sight. His last few singles have been pleasant, but nothing exciting. Like many "artists" he wants to write and release what he feels from his heart. He didn't like "Time of My Life" but it was his biggest hit by far.

Just read that he signed with Warner/Chappell Music in March 2015. I hope it will be a successful collaboration.

I'd be hard-pressed to say if "The Time of My Life" would've been a hit without Idol propelling it either... I think the list is probably ranked by success (perceived), although Nick shouldn't be higher than 13 at the moment. I would guess he'll certainly do better than Candice, Caleb, or Lee since he's getting the support they didn't, but I'm not sure if he'll have been more successful than Fantasia, possibly not even Cook, when all is said and done (IE, dropped).

Actually, I'm surprised Candice hasn't been dropped? Maybe she has the advantage of being the only female winner Jimmy Iovine signed. I've always thought they could've got a little more out of her in R&B with promotion, but they've done zip for her.

Their rankings:

1-Kelly Clarkson

2-Carrie Underwood

3-Jordin Sparks

4-Phillip Phillips

5-Nick Fradiani

6-Fantasia Barrino

7-David Cook

8-Scotty McCreery

9-Kris Allen

10-Ruben Studdard

11-Taylor Hicks

12-Lee DeWyze

13-Candice Glover

14-Caleb Johnson

Jennifer Hudson

Adam Lambert

Chris Daughtry

So strange. Nick, who has basically done nothing yet, is three spots ahead of Scotty McCreary, who is a pretty successful country artist. His first album went platinum.

I'd be hard-pressed to say if "The Time of My Life" would've been a hit without Idol propelling it either... I think the list is probably ranked by success (perceived), although Nick shouldn't be higher than 13 at the moment. I would guess he'll certainly do better than Candice, Caleb, or Lee since he's getting the support they didn't, but I'm not sure if he'll have been more successful than Fantasia, possibly not even Cook, when all is said and done (IE, dropped). Actually, I'm surprised Candice hasn't been dropped? Maybe she has the advantage of being the only female winner Jimmy Iovine signed. I've always thought they could've got a little more out of her in R&B with promotion, but they've done zip for her.

Candice was dropped around Aug of last year.  That's when her name disappeared from Interscope's web site.  At the time, she went into a Twitter meltdown, even though she never came out and said she was dropped.  I agree, Nick is ranked too high.  I think when all is said and done, he will be right above Lee.

(edited)

Does anyone here belong to a survey panel called iCount, which focuses heavily on surveys about talent competition shows (and also game shows, occasionally)?  Before, during and after every single season of American Idol, The Voice and America's Got Talent, they send out surveys to ask the viewers what they like, don't like and would change about the show.  A lot of the questions that come up seem to be based on complaints/comments made by viewers.

iCount will also tell us if Idol is going to make some changes to the show in the next season.  I was waiting for the inevitable survey to ask me about what I want to see in the final season of Idol, and I finally got it.

From the survey I just did, the questions that were asked lead me to believe that the Idol camp/Fox is considering more areas to cut down the number of hours that the show airs in 2016.  They seem to be looking at either shortening the season and getting to the winner much sooner than May -- OR they want to cut out some of the live/performance shows somewhere along the line.  They also seem to be interested in whether it's wise to eliminate contestants at the top of the episode or at the end of an episode.

One funny question was whether or not we find Scott Borchetta to be odd/weird.  Lol.

The survey went on to list a bunch of past Idol winners and the most notable non-winners, asking if we thought they should be performers, mentors or judges (or all of the above) on the final season.  The survey also asked if Randy, Simon and Paula should be guest judges on the final season -- but they didn't specify whether they meant all 3 would be guest judges together, at the same time, or just one of the 3 guest-judging with Harry, Jennifer and Keith, and then another one, etc.

Then there was a section at the end of the survey to tell them how we want Idol to go out with a bang in the final season, and what we'd like to see.

Oh, and one other interesting question -- which makes me think that someone at Fox might be considering this -- was how we'd feel if Idol went off the air for a few years and then came back to TV, and if we would watch it if it came back.  (That's hard to say because it would depend on soooo many factors after a few years, but I answered yes because I'm sure I would watch at least the first 2 episodes, out of curiosity.)

Edited by Sherry67
  • Love 2

The one thing I would say is that I'd definitely like the eliminations to happen at the end... at least let the contestants sing the songs they prepped!  (!MrsHB was really looking forward to finally hearing a Poison song on one of these shows, when Maddie Walker got eliminated and wasn't allowed to sing.)

• Love 1

The one thing I would say is that I'd definitely like the eliminations to happen at the end... at least let the contestants sing the songs they prepped!  (!MrsHB was really looking forward to finally hearing a Poison song on one of these shows, when Maddie Walker got eliminated and wasn't allowed to sing.)

I gave an answer similar to what you said, pointing out that the rehearsals and preparation that the singer did in the prior week would be for naught if they got the boot right at the start of the show.

Interestingly, soon after I posted earlier about the first survey from iCount, I got another survey from iCount all about Simon Cowell.  I haven't had the chance to do it yet, but the subject line told me what it was about.  So I suppose they are trying to get a sense of whether the viewers actually want to see Simon -- and in what capacity -- in the final season.

I'll report back after I do the Simon survey if it seems like the questions are getting at anything in particular (other than what I expect).

• Love 2
(edited)

One funny question was whether or not we found Scott Borchetta to be odd/weird, lol.

That is hilarious! I guess they read comments from the fans (or they personally see him as weird). If there are enough responses saying that he's odd, will they tell him to groom himself in a less sleazy manner?

I am also in favor of the elimination at the end of the show. I like how they used the green/red chairs.

I would love to see Simon as a guest judge! Bring back the insults for the last season. That might ruffle a few of JLo's feathers. Simon is such a peacock and will pull attention away from Jennifer, IMO. How fun would that be!

Edited by DonnaJo
  • Love 1

I also did the survey but skipped the one about Simon. I do think the people who put those surveys together must read forums like this because the questions are always centered around things the viewers say about the show.

I answered that I think eliminations should be done at the end of the show and also that they should get rid of the green chairs and the Twitter save.

American Idol's Clark Beckham Talks 'Sunday Morning' Chords, Police Lyrics, His Big Battle With Scott Borchetta

Clark was actually the first contestant to audition in front of the judges in the first audition city. Most of the time the contestants were not aware what the actual theme was until the day of the performance. Clark had to repeat his stance on not wanting to win (at a producer's request) due to a blown lightbulb. He's a very driven young man. Although I was never a fan, I do wish him the best of luck in his musical career. 

Woman Killed In Car Crash After ‘American Idol’ Audition

Natasha Bellott, a 20-year-old resident of Bloomfield, N.J., was killed when her vehicle was overturned while heading southbound on I-95. Three of the car’s occupants were ejected, causing head trauma, fractured ribs, and other injuries.

Bellott had been on her way back from American Idol auditions at Temple University in Philly, and while it’s unknown how far she advanced in the competition, police report that she still had her American Idol ticket in her pocket at the time her body was found. Just a sad, sad story.

Transgender Man “Devastated” After American Idol Audition

“I was faced with a cruel decision: Be a singer and lie about my identity, or give up the chance to finally pursue the career I’ve always wanted,” wrote Collin. “Ultimately, I refused to relinquish my reality for the one producers wanted to portray. I left the audition devastated — not because I was eliminated from the show, but because I was disappointed in the dishonest, damaging treatment of me, my partner, my story, and my community.”