Type keyword(s) to search

AI in the Media

• Start Topic

http://www.mjsbigblog.com/colorful-infographic-of-2013-14-tv-season-illustrates-steep-declines.htm

via MJs: An infographic created by Vulture compares broadcast TV shows ratings to the 2012-2013 season. Click on the graph to enlarge it to see how shows fared. American Idol's results show fell 26% while its performance show fell 28% vs The Voice's results 11% fall and performance 12% fall. Although neither were as bad as XFactor's fall prompting that show's quick demise.  

From what I can tell the following people from AI have done the Ice Bucket Challenge:

Jennifer Lopez, Ryan Seacrest, Carrie Underwood, Simon Cowell, Keith Urban, Melinda Doolittle, Adam Lambert, Scotty Mcreery, 

Kelly Clarkson, Justin Guarini, and there's probably others but I'm not googling everyone who's been on Idol.

Acccording to TMZ, Randy Jackson is getting a divorce and as there is no prenup, his wife is getting half of his money

20+ years of putting up with his annoying ass (articles say the marriage is 18 years, but they have a 19 year old kid.. so at least 20 years together), she probably deserves it.

• Love 3

http://www.rickey.org/teresa-labarbera-whites-american-idol-2015-mentor-report/272317/

Teresa LaBarbera-Whites To Be American Idol 2015 Mentor – Report

Teresa LaBarbera-Whites, Senior Vice President of A&R at Columbia Records, has been named the new in-house mentor of American Idol according to a report from The Idol Pad.

<snip>

Currently ranked as one of the top record label executives in the world, Teresa LaBarbera Whites has two decades of experience in the global music industry. She is directly responsible for the discovery and development of Beyoncé, Destiny’s Child and Jessica Simpson and is consistently brought in to work closely with top artists on their recording projects including Britney Spears and her critically acclaimed Blackout album, Pink, The Backstreet Boys and Nick Lachey, to name a few. Teresa’s projects have sold over eighty million+ records, and her creative executive role spans from A&R to Executive Producer. In addition to all of her A&R credits, Teresa was an Executive Producer on Britney Spears’ Circus album.

Teresa LaBarbera-Whites to be American Idol 2015 Mentor - Report

Kelly Clarkson: I Feel Like I Have the Plague Because No One Will Work With Me

https://celebrity.yahoo.com/news/kelly-clarkson-feel-plague-because-no-one-183000204-us-weekly.html

"I ask good people, I don't want to sing with crap people, so I mean, I ask people who are great vocalists, but I'm not going to point out anyone," Clarkson continued. "I have asked several people... Sometimes I feel like I have the plague, or leprosy, they're like, 'If you get too close...' I don't know."

<snip>

"I got John Legend to say yes, and he's cool," Clarkson added to Grimshaw of an upcoming single with the R&B crooner. "I can get country artists to sing with me and John Legend! I'm gonna keep John Legend. He's super credible and talented. I feel very good about myself with that one."

• Love 1

Kelly may have a point.

At the same time, she's probably made the problem even worse by going to the press with it.

I dig Kelly's pull-no-punches approach, but it doesn't help her cause when you point out that there in fact are crap singers out there still making a living by putting out music, but being a celebrity has rules and even some of the bigger names still have to play the game. 

• Love 1

It's too bad the idea that someone can sing well *and* be an "artist" is beyond these people. I don't consider most of the non-singers who've won this show artists. I believe the closest they've come is David Cook, Kris Allen and maybe Phillip Phillips (although his successful songs weren't written by him...).

Honestly, I'm not sure Idol has had too many contestants who were "artists," period. Crystal Bowersox is one of the few that come to mind, Daughtry, maybe Colton Dixon and Angela Miller? I believe some of the successful winners have slowly evolved into artists over time (Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Fantasia, Jordin), although they didn't begin that way.

• Love 1

Alex Preston, Jena Irene, and Jess Meuse from last season IMO were all very talented songwriters/musicians/artists. Alex especially really made everything he sang his own. I think JAX from this season has the best chance at post show success.

I posted about this before , but this is even weirder.  The description of AI on my Dish Network listing is now :  

Steven Tyler, Jennifer Lopez, Randy Jackson and Joey Cook.  (S14 Ep 20, top 12 perform)  

How weird is that?   

An EW interview with Boy George about his Idol mentoring experience:

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/03/26/boy-george-american-idol-top-9

For one, it answers the question of what aging retired pop stars do with all their free time.  It turns out that they vegetate on their sofa while second guessing song selection on reality TV singing competitions.  More seriously, the interview does have a few of interesting nuggets:

1. The mentors actually do quite a bit of real mentoring.  It isn't just a quick photo op with each contestant.

2.  Boy George was most impressed by Jax and Clark.  He calls them two "real musicians" (as opposed to the other seven who are fake?).  Regarding Jax, he says "(she's) very eloquent; she knows her stuff. She’s a very knowledgeable person in terms of music"

3. He blames Joey's poor performance on the fact that she didn't listen to his advice.

He does have something to say about everyone except Daniel, who he totally ignores.

Thank you for the Boy George article.  He was a great mentor and I liked what he had to say about the contestants.  I don't think he was wrong about Clark during the mentoring session.  Clark was definitely straining to hit the high notes then.  He just worked on it and excelled.  The only time I heard Qaasim sound good was the few minutes that he was in the mentoring session.  Then he must have forgotten what Boy George told him because he sang the same during his performance.

I don't know about a tour but this is happening:

See the Eliminated American Idol finalist in concert to benefit the Red Cross – Every week this spring, as American Idol bids a sad farewell to a beloved contestant, you and a guest will have the exclusive opportunity to see that talented musician’s first performance after leaving the show. Every week at the iHeartRadio Performance Studio, the most recently eliminated Idol contender will play a private show for a select group of fans who supported their run through the season. Whether you attend this series once to see your favorite contestant or week after week to see the full cast, it’s sure to vastly enhance your experience of America’s favorite competition show. – The tickets are only sold in pairs for $300 dollars. Proceeds go to The American Red Cross

The "show" includes 2 or 3 songs, and a meet and greet and photo with that week's castoff. Hey, at least it's for charity.

Qassim's mom went on a Twitter rampage today, attacking MJ and her readers from MJs Big Blog for comments they made about Qassim's post-Idol plans: http://www.mjsbigblog.com/american-idol-14-qaasim-middleton-elimination-interview.htmRead the comments below, also check out MJ's Twitter account. Qaasim and his mom are trying to claim MJ interviewed him to mock him, yet all it is is a transcription of a conference call he gave where he said all these stupid things himself, and readers just reacted. It makes total sense now why Qaasim had to audition for AI and so many other shows and why, even with his previous experience in TV, he still had to go the talent show route- because his crazy ass mom probably ruined everything for him time and time again.

• Love 1

Qassim's mom went on a Twitter rampage today, attacking MJ and her readers from MJs Big Blog for comments they made about Qassim's post-Idol plans: http://www.mjsbigblog.com/american-idol-14-qaasim-middleton-elimination-interview.htmRead the comments below, also check out MJ's Twitter account. Qaasim and his mom are trying to claim MJ interviewed him to mock him, yet all it is is a transcription of a conference call he gave where he said all these stupid things himself, and readers just reacted. It makes total sense now why Qaasim had to audition for AI and so many other shows and why, even with his previous experience in TV, he still had to go the talent show route- because his crazy ass mom probably ruined everything for him time and time again.

I've got to say this was one entertaining read; especially the comment section (more entertaining than Idol has been this season, but I digress). MJ actually had to block Qaasim's mom and mute Qaasim. LMAO

Edited by yourpointis
  • Love 1

Qaasim apparently blocked one of his own hardcore fans and now she's upset about it. What an idiot. This guy is going nowhere if he and his mom see nothing wrong with being like this. 15 year old Daniel Seavy received way worse backlash week after week and he nor his parents reacted this way. Qaasim is not a child. It looks downright pathetic for a 19 year old to have to be defended by his mommy. She's doing him absolutely no favors.

• Love 5

John Stevens from season 3 received death threats and I believe had to hire a body guard, but I doubt even he would have taken to Twitter and acted in any way similar to Qaasim or his mother. It doesn't matter how long he's be in the biz, he and his mother are delusional to the extent of his talent and the demand for it post show imho. 

• Love 1

Damn, bitch be crazy.

Damn, bitch be crazy.

Wow, she sure is nuts.

I love this quote from Quazzar:     "I can probably pack stadiums in about a year or two. I’m ready to go."          I hope he likes selling drinks to the crowd.

I stopped watching last week, there is no one I feel is talented enough and has that it factor to ever be successful.

Quazzar make me cringe from the beginning. He cannot sing and he has these tourettes things going on that are very distracting.    Poor kid is going to need that concession stand job because he is dumb too.   Those interviews.  LOL       

We knew his Mom was nuts when she was discussing his virginity during auditions.

ETA: It was an entertaining read. It kept me occupied while I hung out in the rocking chair as the almost three year old feel asleep. last night was a "I want Mommy near by and I know she won't bring me into the bed or take me out of the crib so I'll pitifully ask her to sit in the rocking chair which is comforting to me."

Edited by ProfCrash
  • Love 4
how do we know that the cray on mj comments was indeed his mom? Yikes, though. Wow.

True, we don't know, but who else would post stuff like that?  If it wasn't his mom, then I would think she'd go after who ever was posting under her name.

His mom talked about the status of her son's virginity right before his first televised audition on national TV. And I remember something else weird that she did in the audience during one of the live shows. Going on a Twitter rant is probably nothing for her. I honestly wonder if she had something to do with them using the save. I wouldn't be shocked if she threw stage momager tantrums behind the scenes a lot and threatened them to use the save on Qaasim if he was in the bottom.

Pretty sure that was really his mom, because her Twitter account afterward was full of retweets she did of people defending her right to defend her son.  I didn't see her original comments, but she struck me as odd from the beginning.  Telling the world that your son is a virgin even while he's looking horrified?  That's emotional child abuse.  Good parents don't intentionally embarrass their children--in front of TV cameras, yet!

• Love 1