Type keyword(s) to search

Stranded With A Million Dollars - General Discussion

• Start Topic

It seemed to me in the article from production, they could not let them drink bad water (I think Alonzo got sick from feast and famine, that can play with your body)  He also indicated that Alonzo wanted to drag Makani from the tent by her hair and was not allowed to do that.  That was one of the good people. 

I think the temptations were set to tempt the particular people. Not much was needed to tempt  the campers, but there was a lot to tempt the macody.  actually the last temptation of Alonzo was pretty much like the catamaran  it was a building with a shower with hot water and beds for an overnight stay. But he said no, 

• Love 5

My husband and I watched all 10 episodes in 2 nights, it was a good show imo, many people are just wimps.

When I saw Cody in the first episode having a lot of confessionals I thought he was the first one to go or the winner. SELFISH campers sp Alonzo and that mom deserved that they got medically evacuated, team losers deserved to be starved for not carrying some stuff, for stealing the peanut butter and for burning the money-the most stupid thing ever! I was team MaCody but that crapping in the water was just so wrong. I didn't get it how the starving team losers still went trough those journeys sp Gina.

• Love 11

https://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/2017/04/mtv-stranded-kevin-lee-interview/

Thanks for the link.

"they can’t divide up the money"

That's why, coz I was wondering why they didn't put some money in the tent bag or pot, buying those bags was really expensive

"obviously no fighting, no physically laying hands on each other.”

Of course like in any reality show assault means disqualification, Alonzo had the biggest patience not to punch Cody lol

However, Cody’s pooping strategy did require some intervention.

Good, the production removed the crap after he left.

As we learned when Alex burned cash, that was not real U.S. currency. “We didn’t want to have prop money,” “MTV forced us."

Wtf, I guess that's why Alex burned the money coz they were not real!

Will there be a season two of Stranded?

“MTV has funded casting for season two, and scouting for season two.”

Good!

Edited by piequinn35
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, piequinn35 said:

"they can’t divide up the money"

That's why, coz I was wondering why they didn't put some money in the tent bag or pot, buying those bags was really expensive

Oh, my interpretation of that phrase was that it means "You can't make side deals, like I'll give you $5000 out of my final total if you vote yes."  But you're interpreting that as physically can't split the money into more than one container?  Interesting. Maybe you're right?

^Yeah I think it was the splitting the money in containers, we saw that when they moved that Cody always carried that big duffel bag then it became big camping backpack full of money, 50-70 lbs? But I thought I saw some money in the flare/phone box? 

20 hours ago, candall said:

If Alex or Gina had accepted the $150k option and bailed, would the remaining players have divided the $497k into thirds?  If yes, Alex and Gina are IDIOTS--everyone would have left the game with a significant cash bonus. 

Surely the tablet didn't imply the $150k would be deducted from the total, because that would have screwed everyone left behind and added a whole extra layer for Alex and Gina to consider.  Bad decision, show, not to make it clear to the viewers--either way would have been more interesting than "I choose not to leave my buddy to soldier on without me for a day and a half."

Yeah, I think that was a good idea for a temptation but badly handled and edited. Giving one person a chance right at the end to take the biggest share AND leave early? That could be some nice drama.

And speaking of sympathy, I was very sympathetic to Gina the whole time because she couldn't swim and was constantly knee/waist/neck-deep in the drink.  But when she was in the pool at the bottom of the waterfall, she did a pretty darn good imitation of swimming.  I know she was wearing a life jacket, but have you ever seen someone who doesn't know how to swim suddenly find himself in water over his head?  Total panic, with lots of thrashing and floundering.  Gina flattened out and basically stroked on out of there.  Hmmm.

"Sympathetic" wouldn't by my word, but it is very interesting that the (self-labeled) partygoing college dropout who couldn't swim, couldn't light a fire, didn't carry anything, and was severely tempted to go home on day 1 - that SHE lasted until the end.  My snark upthread was that the only reason she didn't leave is because firing a flare is too much work. But I honestly don't know. Did she just not want to make a decision if Alex wasn't? Was it loyalty to support him? Or was she really that committed?

(By the way, her Twitter handle is "GinaPandaBaby". Factor that into your calculus.)

I was impressed with Makani and her 50-pound pack.  I lug in a 50-pound bag of dog food from the car every week and there's no way I could muscle that sucker up a steep hill.

Properly carried on the back, especially with hip support, is a lot easier than in the arms or even over a shoulder. But even so, yeah. Rule of thumb for hiking is keeping it below 1/3 of your bodyweight. She certainly exceeded that.

• Love 4
On 26/04/2017 at 8:31 AM, wings707 said:

There is so much wrong with this production.  This is not being filmed totally by droids, if at all.  They are not wearing mic packs so there has to be a sound guy there holding one of those booms with the fuzzy slip on sweater to eliminate background noise. 

They were wearing mic packs, you could often see it on Makani's hip, or the 2 boys having it strapped around their stomach.  And if you read the article Hiacios linked to the producers reveal that camera crews were sometimes used.

On 26/04/2017 at 11:58 PM, AirQuotes said:

That last temptation for Alex and Gina was a good example of production thinking they were throwing in a good twist but it was just messing with the format.

I think this was actually a good twist temptation I feel it was just the situation in the game that led it to fizzle.  If Gina had dropped out then I think Alex would have taken it without hesitation.  If all 4 campers were there I could see one taking it as there still would have been 3 campers there to support each other.

On 27/04/2017 at 2:33 AM, AngryCarrot86 said:

Welp, that ending was lame.  If there's a second season, hopefully production learns from their vast mistakes and change it up a bit.  I enjoyed the discussions and even the debates with you fine folks!

Cheers!

I enjoyed the discussion here too.  Good to hear opposing views and theories I didn't think about. 

On 27/04/2017 at 2:39 AM, wings707 said:

Yes and here it is.  I didn't think her ideas would make a better show.  It would be different but still not good.  Better than what we got, anything would be.  

https://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/2017/04/mtv-stranded-jane-mcgonigal-game-design/

I think her idea for reducing the prize money as each person leaves is awful.  I think it would be so boring and the drama she is hoping for just wouldn't happen.

22 hours ago, candall said:

If Alex or Gina had accepted the $150k option and bailed, would the remaining players have divided the $497k into thirds?  If yes, Alex and Gina are IDIOTS--everyone would have left the game with a significant cash bonus. 

Surely the tablet didn't imply the $150k would be deducted from the total, because that would have screwed everyone left behind and added a whole extra layer for Alex and Gina to consider.  Bad decision, show, not to make it clear to the viewers--either way would have been more interesting than "I choose not to leave my buddy to soldier on without me for a day and a half."

I am pretty sure the money would have been deducted from the total so the other 3 shares would have been reduced.  Alex says in his blog that by not taking it he saved Cody and Makani $8,333 each.

Like most on here I found the finale pretty anticlimactic.  

The challenge was very meh though I did like how they tried to hype it up.  Cody's voice over saying it was close and he didn't know who was going to win, then when Macody win they show Alex and Gina's ladder and they are only half way.

I found Alex's last blog very amusing.  Still trying to deflect away that it wasn't his fault that he destroyed $65k.  But I also like how he ends saying he doesn't care what people think of him, yet he just spent 10 weeks writing blog posts to try and justify his actions.

Edited by dstann
  • Love 10
15 hours ago, dstann said:

am pretty sure the money would have been deducted from the total so the other 3 shares would have been reduced.  Alex says in his blog that by not taking it he saved Cody and Makani $8,333 each.

Wow.  So either Alex or Gina could have skated on out of there (early!) with $150k and left the other three with ~$116k?  Why not put that detail on the screen?  Because that's interesting

If that was the deal, I owe some credit to Alex and Gina for sticking it out to the bitter end.  I'm pretty sure Makani would have still been drawing breath to reject the offer when Cody was [zooop!] on his feet, scanning the sky for his personal exit vehicle.

Cody was always honest about being in it strictly for the bucks.  In fact, his main misstep was letting his disgust get the better of him and not throwing the flare case on top of his 80(!!) pound pack.  @Amarsir cracks me up with BabyPanda not making the effort to fire her flare, but simply firing a mid-hike flare would have been so much easier and more tempting than Option B, trying to build a five-foot signal fire.  Pffft, as if.

Well, like Survivor, they'll polish this thing up for Season Two, but--also like Survivor--I kind of liked the rough edges of Season One, when the players and the producers are both trying to figure it out as they go along.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, candall said:

I'm pretty sure Makani would have still been drawing breath to reject the offer when Cody was [zooop!] on his feet, scanning the sky for his personal exit vehicle.

Cody was always honest about being in it strictly for the bucks.  In fact, his main misstep was letting his disgust get the better of him and not throwing the flare case on top of his 80(!!) pound pack.

While I agree Cody was there for the money I also think his pride would not have let Mr Thrive leave before the end.  What could have been a potentially more interesting way to do it would be each person is isolated and then goes to the tablet on their own.  They then have to make the decision without being able to discuss it with anyone.  If more than one person chooses to leave then the person who made the decision the quickest gets to leave and the others stay.

I don't think that was a misstep by Cody, I think him and Makani benefited from that more than Gina and Alex.  Losing access to the group buy meant Alex and Gina now only had a tent, machete and whatever they could find.  Cody and Makani had rationed their food so the only thing they lost was having to worry about Alex's underhanded plans to try to force them to agree to buy stuff.  To me Cody's biggest misstep was taking the pot.  By doing that it gave Alex and Gina the excuse not to carry anything on the treks.  Alex and Gina struggled so much on the treks but it became so much easier when all they had to carry was their tent and a machete.  Personally I would have just blocked them from buying food and made them carry their share on the treks and I think it would have been much harder for Alex and Gina.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, piequinn35 said:

But they wouldn't beat the time if Gina carried more.

Gina almost flared in the last leg while carrying nothing, I think it would greatly increase the chance of her flaring if it was even harder.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Zima said:

Aw, is there not going to be a reunion show? Booo. That would have been an interesting shit show. 

That would have been awesome. 

• Love 4

I am so glad to read that the majority of people here can't stand Alex and Gina...they drove me fucking nuts! I never thought I'd root for Cody, he's not my kind of person at all, but damn if I didn't want him to win after the insufferable, self righteous hypocrisy of Gina and Alex. I just binged watched the whole season, read all of Alex's articles and this whole thread. This show was crazy; I look forward to seeing how a second season will play out.

• Love 5