Type keyword(s) to search

Stranded With A Million Dollars - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Okay, this is going to be goooooooood. So, they take 10 millenials, strand them on an island with no camera people (just camera drones, and cameras on trees, beaches, etc.) and they communicate with them via iPad messages. They get $100,000 to start, and after they've been on the island awhile, they have an opportunity to spend some of the money they have in hand. Ax, 10K, hachet, 8K, 2 person tent, 30K, gallon of water, 2K, 1 can of Pepsi, 1K.  Majority rules on spending money. Partway through the 4-day  block at this campsite, they have a "temptation" for whomever the producers choose (weakest, most hated? weak alliances? too soon to tell) plus one friend. For $5K they could have snacks and drinks (chips, pretzels, etc.) but for $15K they got burgers, fries, chicken wings, plus all the $5K stuff. We don't know how or when the other Stranded folks find out what the Temptations Pair choose.  Oh yeah, this was interesting!! There are also flairs where people can fire them off to get out of the game (with no $). They move to a new camp every 4 days, getting the next 100K to add to their earnings. They have a time limit on how long they can use getting to the next camp, or they don't get the money. It was something like 3 hours to go 2.5 miles through a specific path across the island.

I'm really looking forward to this. Hope MTV doesn't crap it up too much!!

• Love 1

I thought my main takeaway from this clusterfuck would be a finer appreciation of Survivor's applicant pool and selection process, heh.

But I ended up putting it on "Series Record."  They have some truly devious twists going on here, e.g:  you can eat if you don't mind making all your starving teammates pay for it.  (I think the eating was not a fatal move, but then they cut their own throats by lying about it.)

Some (most?) of these yewts are idiots.  "Let's wait until we're too weak to move before we pony up the money for essentials."

Those two A-holes who have decided to be "independent" and just watch the others die and fall off the vine one after another--pretty decent villain types.  People are going to LOVE watching them brought low.

All together, not the worst new show I've seen this year.

• Love 5

They have dreams of paying off student loans, moving out of a single wide trailer and of course a total life change with the money.  Let's call it 650.000 just to get taxes out of the way divided by 10 would give everyone 65,000. Nice pay for 40 days.  HA!  They are going to need that machete and food at the very least. Smart money is on no water at next camp site.  Even if half of them drop out their dreams of wealth will be dashed.

I caught the first episode tonight.  Are there more. I don't remember the producer choosing 2 for special treatment (multitasking). 

• Love 2

Watched the first episode with some trepidation but it's good.  Interesting casting too, something I didn't expect from MTV.  

We don't know how or when the other Stranded folks find out what the Temptations Pair choose. 

From the preview, it looks like they find out when they arrive at camp #2 and only receive $85K instead of the $100k.  Looking forward to see the effect of that disclosure on future temptations.  

• Love 4
17 hours ago, wings707 said:

I caught the first episode tonight.  Are there more. I don't remember the producer choosing 2 for special treatment (multitasking). 

The producers chose one, and she got to pick someone to go with her. I'm going to assume they do this each episode, and it will be interesting to see if they mix up the Temptations (shower, change of clothes, call home, matches)... as well as how people pick who to go with them (only their alliance? or someone they're courting?)

44 minutes ago, snarts said:

From the preview, it looks like they find out when they arrive at camp #2 and only receive $85K instead of the $100k.  Looking forward to see the effect of that disclosure on future temptations.  

Yes, I watched a rerun today while working, and saw part of the episode that my DVR had cut off before. I wonder if the temptations will all be priced the same as the first one? And I also wondered if the prices of items will go up or down next week (or stay the same). Really, the ability of producers to screw with the contestants is on the level of Big Brother, only, like NOT BORING. Who'da thought MTV would have a better "head game" game than CBS?  Anyway, I really hope this show stays as good as the first episode and doesn't go the way of the total crapfest that is HUNTED.

• Love 6

So they chose a girl (woman, no), offered her a temptation and she took it (shower, clothes, call, matches).  What was her perk if she didn't take it, if there was one? Did they buy the machete?  How the hell do you get into a coconut without one.  I lived in FL for 12 years, they dropped in my back yard and owned one to get into a coconut.  There is no short cut that I found.  

Any details would be appreciated.  I deleted E1 by mistake. 

• Love 1

MTV has quite a few clips on its website. As for the first Temptation, there's a clip of it here (couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong with "insert other media")

the clothes, shower, matches, etc were my speculation of the kinds of things that could be future Temptations. I have no idea if they'll all be food or not, but I'd guess no.

38 minutes ago, TeapotWakeen said:

MTV has quite a few clips on its website. As for the first Temptation, there's a clip of it here (couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong with "insert other media")

the clothes, shower, matches, etc were my speculation of the kinds of things that could be future Temptations. I have no idea if they'll all be food or not, but I'd guess no.

Thank you.  That little snipped saying "I would freak out, it is like you are taking money from my kid."  Oh how I wish there was viewer participation and we could eliminate her.  No, hang her in a tree for 6 days.  Yeah, that would work for me. 

• Love 1

Well, right off the bat I hate those 2 guys who think that they can eliminate everybody else by just sitting on their asses and being a dick to everyone else. What a bunch of assholes! Mark my words they won't make it to the end because their dumbasses don't get that it's a team game.

The ones I like and think will make it are the military guy, the mom, and the news reporter.

• Love 1

That hike to the new campground looked BRUTAL. Especially with no shoelaces! I can't believe they couldn't rip some shirts or something to tie their shoes/boots onto their feet though. And I'll miss my cute Eagle Scout, I was rooting for him. Mikahala, or whatever your name is, act like a big girl and go state your opinion when it matters -- even when not asked -- instead of stating it later like some passive-aggressive whiner. You weren't tied to that fire, you weren't chained in that river... you could have spoken up at the time, not bitch about it later (when you were also, in fact, not asked!). Cody, sleep with one eye open... you're going to see the business end of that machete. Also, take the underwear back to the camp, even if you're not going to wear it. It could prove useful (and, weren't you wearing underwear when you went to "console" Mikahala in the stream of tears?).

• Love 5

The producers of the show, formerly called Stranded With a Million Bucks, left the 10 cast members on a tiny Fijian island for 40 days with nothing but the clothes they arrive in. It’s up to them to figure out how to survive.

These contestants are not Survivor fans or they would have arrived dressed for the job!  

• Love 4

This episode was a lot better than mostly because the 2 assholes on the show got what was coming to them since the beginning. lol. I loved how the 3 I picked (Alex Apple, Alonzo Gordon, and Eilish Rodriguez) made a simple plan to overrule those 2 douche bags so they could order the supplies they needed from the get go. 

That hippie girl is so annoying with her constant whining and crying. smh. I really hope she goes next episode. 

• Love 1
On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 6:16 PM, Hiacios said:

Well, right off the bat I hate those 2 guys who think that they can eliminate everybody else by just sitting on their asses and being a dick to everyone else. What a bunch of assholes! Mark my words they won't make it to the end because their dumbasses don't get that it's a team game.

The ones I like and think will make it are the military guy, the mom, and the news reporter.

Ugh...CODY (He's the blond). Every time he opens his mouth all I can think of is "Pride goeth before a fall, Bucko!" And I can't WAIT until he gets his.

• Love 5
59 minutes ago, TwirlyGirly said:

Ugh...CODY (He's the blond). Every time he opens his mouth all I can think of is "Pride goeth before a fall, Bucko!" And I can't WAIT until he gets his.

At night. From the $20,000 hatchet -- hey!! now we know why he's so opposed -- he doesn't want weapons around, because he know they'll be used against him!

I'm rooting for Alex, the reporter. He's been recapping/answering questions at Reality Blurred, which makes me like him even more.

• Love 3

Idiots don't realize that a million dollars is a lot of money, yes, but when you're 20, so is $50,000. They could have set a goal of finishing with 10 people and 500,000 to split and most of them would have gotten there in luxury. Not a bad payday for a 40 day vacation. Bonus if people drop out anyway.

Seriously, at 20 years old 50k would have been a major boost in my life. The people playing this all-out to make this their life's only shot at a million are just playing too hard. Easy game here, kids, if you stop and think about just skating to victory.

• Love 5

I agree with you Charlesman, but if you figure 50% for taxes (which I think doesn't relate to their annual income, is just standard for prizes won??), then you're talking $25K...... sadly, not even a year's tuition at many colleges these days. (ignoring soap box,  biting tongue) Still a pretty nice chunk of change, and potentially life changing to many -- but not as impactful as it used to be. :(

• Love 2
2 hours ago, TeapotWakeen said:

I agree with you Charlesman, but if you figure 50% for taxes (which I think doesn't relate to their annual income, is just standard for prizes won??), then you're talking $25K...... sadly, not even a year's tuition at many colleges these days. (ignoring soap box,  biting tongue) Still a pretty nice chunk of change, and potentially life changing to many -- but not as impactful as it used to be. :(

They'd only take 50 percent for taxes if you win the million, IIRC, because then you're taxed like a millionaire. If you only earn 50k, I think it's taxed like anyone that earns 50,000 a year at a normal job, which is like 15 percent. They'd walk away with more than 40k of it. But, not a tax lawyer. 

• Love 3
(edited)
On 3/3/2017 at 11:20 AM, Charlesman said:

They'd only take 50 percent for taxes if you win the million, IIRC, because then you're taxed like a millionaire. If you only earn 50k, I think it's taxed like anyone that earns 50,000 a year at a normal job, which is like 15 percent. They'd walk away with more than 40k of it. But, not a tax lawyer. 

I assumed there was a higher tax for prizes, even if they're below a million, but I actually have no idea. Does anyone have clarification on this?

Edited by peachmangosteen
(edited)
2 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I assumed there was a higher tax for prizes, even if they're below a million, but I actually have no idea. Does anyone have clarification on this?

Game show winnings are taxed as regular income (aka "ordinary income" in IRS terms), according to:

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-tax-rate-you-pay-on-game-show-winnings-in-the-US  (Jeopardy winner)

Contrary to popular belief, game show winnings are simply taxed as part of your gross income. It can often seem like quite a bit, however, because a large prize (think six figures or higher) can bump you up into a much higher tax bracket. But there's no additional tax above regular income tax simply because the gains were won on a game show as opposed to from some form of employment.

http://blogs.hrblock.com/2016/01/11/taxes-if-you-win-1000/ (H&R Block)

Generally, the federal government taxes prizes, awards, raffle and lottery winnings, and other similar types of income as ordinary income, no matter the amount. This is true even if you did not make any effort to enter in to the running for the prize. Your state will tax the winnings too, unless you live in a state that does not impose a state-level income tax.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/finance/pay-taxes-game-show-winnings/ (Nerd Wallet)

In some ways, prizes and gambling are taxed similarly. Both are miscellaneous income that you must report to the IRS.

http://finance.zacks.com/income-tax-lumpsum-lottery-winnings-6120.html (Zacks)

Lump-sum lottery winnings are taxable as ordinary income in the year the prize is won.

...there's no "higher tax" because it came from a game show, however, it is a higher personal tax rate because a person might pay 25% tax if they make 100,000 a year, but 40% if they make 1,000,000 a year. Since the year they have the big win pushes them into the next tax bracket, that money is affected by the higher tax rate on income.

I'm just guessing that most of the contestants on this show are typical 20-year-olds, and none make more than $35k a year (most significantly less, if anything), which would put them in a tax bracket of 15% (of the amount over 10K). A quick back-of-the-envelope guess would be someone making $35k pays $4800 in federal tax (not including Social Security, Medicare, and state income taxes). Taking home a $50,000 prize would bump that up to $17,000 in federal tax, a difference of $12,200. They would effectively get to keep $37,800 of the prize and pay the rest in taxes, for a 24% tax rate. Their top tax rate goes from the 15% bracket into the 25% bracket for the amount over 28k.

If they're mostly broke college students, earning less than or about 10k at part-time summer jobs, their federal tax would jump from $1000 owed on $10k to $11,000 owed on $60k. The difference is $10k on the $50,000; or an effective federal tax rate of 20% on the winnings, and they'd keep $40,000 of the prize. If this is their only income in the year (no-job college-kid), they'd pay $8200 in taxes on it, and keep $41,800, for an effective federal tax rate of 16.5% on the prize money.

To a broke college kid, an extra $37,000-$40,000 is "live like a king" beer money. Used smartly, it's a significant boost to their lives... imagine graduating with the ability to pay off a large chunk of their loans, or, even better, be able to move straight to New York or Los Angeles or Chicago with a year's worth of rent as a safety net to follow their dream job.

Focusing on the big prize to exclusion of how much just $40,000 inflates their lives at this point is a mistake, IMHO. (I see the same argument used about the lottery, where some people say "I don't play the lotto unless it's a big prize, like, $100 million or more." Sure, even losing half, $50mil is a big prize and worth winning. But, to me... winning $10mil and keeping $5mil pretty much puts me into "quit my job and live the rest of my life in ease" territory. Effectively, $5mil and $50mil are the same amount of money to me. There's not much I would want to do at $50mil that I can't really do if I have just an extra $5mil in my pocket. It's still plenty to quit my job, travel the world, and not have to worry about money ever again. It just means maybe one dream house instead of five, but, that's about it.)

Edited by Charlesman
  • Love 3

I hate that we're most likely going to end up with Makani or Cody on The Challenge.  I hope everyone else makes it through the next episode so that they don't lose their numbers, even if the peanut butter wasn't a smart move.

• Love 2

I'm starting to enjoy this show.  I hated the bro team at first and was indifferent about the rest of them.  I know this is an unpopular opinion, but at this point I've found myself rooting for the three outcasts, bro team included.  So I was sad to see brunette bro #2 go.  I just find the others to be entitled assholes. 

Even though the three outcasts didn't vote for the tent and other items doesn't mean they shouldn't get to use it.  That money belongs to all of them. They all should have been rotating tent use from day one. Had I been one of the three outcasts, I would have throat punched that dweeby looking reporter for suggesting getting peanut butter over a tarp.  I also found it laughable when they had their food "stolen".  They knew the outcasts needed to use that pot.  Did they expect them to wrap their leftovers (that they didn't offer to share) in foil for them?  Please. The only one of tent-four team I find redeemable is the war vet, (Alonzo?), the rest are just insufferable.  Yeah, hippy chick's passive aggressiveness is annoying, but she has a right to be pissed.  They've walked all over her.  She's also the only woman there who seems to have any real survival skills. Take away that tent, and the only people I see making it to the end would be blonde bro #1, the hippy chick, and maybe that dweeby looking reporter. 

• Love 10
(edited)

What the hell is wrong with Makani? She seems like a slow, stupid child every time she speaks (or attempts to speak.) I can't wait to see her fire off that flare. 

Edited by newyawk
spelling
  • Love 4

I cannot tell if Makani has a foreign accent or speech impediment, maybe both. She has a very strange way of speaking.  She is an intolerable little bitch, that one.  

• Love 5

I actually think Makani has very valid points, she's just terrible at articulating them.  If she would just come out and say something like "what you're all doing is incredibly unfair.  Even though I did not want to spend money on the tent and pot, I have just as much right to use them as you do", she'd be perceived very differently.  Instead, she just makes bitchy comments - so the others feel justified in their special snowflake behavior.  Makani needs to work on her communication skills stat, but I still like her more than the other women there.  She's more useful.

• Love 7

This show has made me realize that I don't think the Survivor contestants are required to suffer enough for their million buckolas--hahahahaha.  I didn't see the first season of Survivor, when I understand they were roasting rats over a campfire to fend off starvation, so maybe there's a learning curve as to how far production can stretch these contestants.

I thought sacrificing (both!) shoelaces was the height of stupidity--until someone found his untied shoes too unwieldy to slog through the mud AND DECIDED TO ABANDON HIS SHOES ALL TOGETHER.  Ai-yi-yi, dude!  Did someone drop you on your punkinhead when you were a baby?  Are "footcovers" just sort of a fashion statement for you?

The excuse/rationalization that no one is allowed to use luxury items they (paid for but) didn't vote for--appalling.  If you want to be the selfish pig using the strength of your majority numbers to ensure the other players are so miserable they might "flare out," then have the guts to admit that's your strategy and don't be all lofty while you smug-splain the moral high ground.  Gross.

• Love 9

I admire those 2 for turning down the luxury but they were still fools! Even teem bro used their luxury and didn't think twice about spending the money. I don't know what I would do. Clear conscience vs full stomach. Hmmmm. Can't get to the end on being best buds.

• Love 2

Then I fully expect Cody and friend to be sharing their hiking boots, rain poncho and everything else they picked up during the challenge, lol.

Makani is too whiny. There was a better way she could have approached it/addressed it, and the others should have told her, "sure, you'll get a turn, after everyone else who DID stick around to vote has had a chance to sleep in the tent FIRST."

But Makani was out of line if she expected to sleep in it that second night.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, AngryCarrot86 said:

I actually think Makani has very valid points, she's just terrible at articulating them.  If she would just come out and say something like "what you're all doing is incredibly unfair.  Even though I did not want to spend money on the tent and pot, I have just as much right to use them as you do", she'd be perceived very differently.  Instead, she just makes bitchy comments - so the others feel justified in their special snowflake behavior.  Makani needs to work on her communication skills stat, but I still like her more than the other women there.  She's more useful.

Her needling them, "how about a chandelier?" is vastly more than communication difficulties! 

I do agree that the tent should have been shared.  Majority rules, not majority gets exclusive use of the purchase. They failed to talk about the rules and how it would look, on day one.

Cody set himself up as the irritant (understatement) immediately,  and it was clear to all that he was not going to be a team player, thus the split into two camps.  His animosity for everyone before things got rolling was foolish.  

1 hour ago, newyawk said:

Then I fully expect Cody and friend to be sharing their hiking boots, rain poncho and everything else they picked up during the challenge, lol.

No one is expected to share what they buy on their private luxury.  What they buy is theirs to keep.  They should share a group expenditure, that is different.  

• Love 7
34 minutes ago, wings707 said:

Her needling them, "how about a chandelier?" is vastly more than communication difficulties! 

Girlfriend is pissed!  And I don't blame her!  You're right that she's not doing herself any favors with those comments, but her saying snarky things to the other women is hardly on the same level as the others refusing to share the tent.  Makani may be immature and annoying, but she's not physically hurting anyone or depriving anyone of anything.  That's why I just can't help but to side with her and the bros.  Makani didn't vote because she was trying to keep the fire going - something that would benefit the entire camp.  No, she didn't have to do that, but she did.  She shouldn't be punished so harshly because of it. 

38 minutes ago, wings707 said:

Cody set himself up as the irritant (understatement) immediately,  and it was clear to all that he was not going to be a team player, thus the split into two camps.  His animosity for everyone before things got rolling was foolish.  

100% agree here.  The reporter was playing the long game when he befriended the camp of misfit kids.  He knew that having the majority vote for items was a must.  I was actually on his side the first two episodes.  Now?  Not so much.  Cody is a pompous ass, but the reporter is sanctimonious and selfish. 

Is anyone going mention the waste of space girl who took the first temptation and then lied about it?  Why is she getting a free pass?  She gets to sleep in the tent, eat the food the others find and prepare,  and gets her ass pushed up the hills during the hikes.  I see so much hate for Makani, but not a peep about that turd.  She's the one that I can't wait to see finally freak out and flair out. 

• Love 12

Girlfriend is pissed!  And I don't blame her!  You're right that she's not doing herself any favors with those comments, but her saying snarky things to the other women is hardly on the same level as the others refusing to share the tent. 

Maybe not, but stealing the leftover food sure is.

They've been sharing the pot & machete.  Were Cody & Makani not such rude assholes from the start, the tent situation might be different.  

• Love 6

MTV doesn't seem to have much faith in their Survivor knockoff--they only have one episode listed for next week, showing one time only.

But I still think it's interesting enough--having removed the element of "vote someone off the island" and just requiring the participants to gut out 40 days of discomfort.

I have the benefit of three episodes for hindsight, but to me it seems like a no-brainer to pay whatever is required for some basic creature comforts that might make the difference in staying or going--a couple of tents, some fire-making tools, a pot, a machete, the occasional protein.

Say you lost three people who just decided "the hell with it" and wound up with a core group of seven.  If each of those seven took the $15k "luxury" choice, without guilt, that would deduct $105k.  Then if they spent another $100k or so for essentials, there would still be around $100,000 post-tax for each of the seven.  Why not cooperate and help each other make it to the end?

I know that's not enough to guarantee you'd never have to work for "The Man," but it's a very nice paycheck for a 20s-something who spent six weeks being damp and gumming on coconuts.

I'm too old and too reasonable to be on this show.  : )

• Love 9
8 hours ago, wings707 said:

No one is expected to share what they buy on their private luxury.  What they buy is theirs to keep.  

They are still spending the group's money on those temptations.

Does Cody remind anyone else of Spencer Pratt, but with slightly better hair?

• Love 3

Chris is so annoying. I would have lasted longer than that whiny little baby. He's going to have a difficult life in store for him if he can't stand being wet or cold. He works for his dad in construction and can't handle it. I'm glad he left. I hated Cody at first but now I'm rooting for him. I too don't understand why they don't spend some of their money on basic necessities. As weak as some of these people are not everyone will make it to the end so why not be a little more comfortable. 

• Love 1

Given the amount of food/carbs/pleasure, and the relatively low price* ($5000), I'd be talking them into ordering a pizza every week. (*compared to a $3000 can of Pepsi, or $20,000 duffle bag, etc.). And for a 2-person tent, it sure seems like there's room for more than 4 people in there, sitting up. Sit up at night and stay dry, sleep on days when  you're not hiking to the new location.  Or spoon like the puppy memes and put one person horizontal to everyone else's vertical. Just seems like there could be a way if they wanted to (which they don't).

Here is Alex's blog and Q&A about this episode.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, kira28 said:

I hated Cody at first but now I'm rooting for him.

I find it incredible how quickly the heroes and villains swapped places for me.

On 09/03/2017 at 7:49 AM, AngryCarrot86 said:

Is anyone going mention the waste of space girl who took the first temptation and then lied about it?  Why is she getting a free pass?

Because she is needed for the majority vote

• Love 8

Hi, I'm Teapot Wakeen, and I'm a fish-out-of-water-reality-TV addict. Besides Stranded With a Million Dollars, my latest obsessions are 60 Days In, and now Kicking and Screaming on Fox (divas and survivalists in Fiji! pairing up for cash!).  What I'm spending more time thinking about than I should is how some people are "fish out of water" because Stranded wasn't structured (Eagle Scout couldn't check things off his badge list? Organic Farmer couldn't play the long game, like farming relies on? Army Reservist couldn't play the social game to make friends because they didn't all have the same 'mission'?). I think I'm trying to make up my grief over the original season of The Mole not being repeated, and my anger over the crapfest over Hunted (which had such potential).

• Love 2

@TeapotWakeen, I think you may also be an Ask a Manager fan, in addition to being a reality TV addict. :)

i just watched the first three episodes and I have not changed my opinion that Cody is a jerk. He started out too far on the asshole side of the game and didn't think about needing alliances for the voting. Reap what you sow, jerk face.

• Love 5
On 3/7/2017 at 11:43 PM, AngryCarrot86 said:

I'm starting to enjoy this show.  I hated the bro team at first and was indifferent about the rest of them.  I know this is an unpopular opinion, but at this point I've found myself rooting for the three outcasts, bro team included.  So I was sad to see brunette bro #2 go.  I just find the others to be entitled assholes. 

Even though the three outcasts didn't vote for the tent and other items doesn't mean they shouldn't get to use it.  That money belongs to all of them. They all should have been rotating tent use from day one. Had I been one of the three outcasts, I would have throat punched that dweeby looking reporter for suggesting getting peanut butter over a tarp.  I also found it laughable when they had their food "stolen".  They knew the outcasts needed to use that pot.  Did they expect them to wrap their leftovers (that they didn't offer to share) in foil for them?  Please. The only one of tent-four team I find redeemable is the war vet, (Alonzo?), the rest are just insufferable.  Yeah, hippy chick's passive aggressiveness is annoying, but she has a right to be pissed.  They've walked all over her.  She's also the only woman there who seems to have any real survival skills. Take away that tent, and the only people I see making it to the end would be blonde bro #1, the hippy chick, and maybe that dweeby looking reporter. 

Exactly.  At first, I was rooting for Alex, but once they decided to buy the tent and decide not to share it-   What did malaki do? She was watching the fire for all of them- they just decided to buy it for themselves.   Same with the food -really? They couldn't give them the leftovers?  And buying peanut butter instead of the tarp, knowing thy were safe in a tent while the trio were outside?  Really they couldn't make room for Chris in the tent when he went to say Goodbye?  Douchebags all 4 of them.  The two girls in the tent are useless.   I hope Cody and malaki win, and hope Chris gets put on a challenge or another show.   

• Love 8

I can't get past that Makani and Cody created the situation they are in and are not making any effort to change it.  Alex at least seems to be fairly consistently making an attempt before this episode.  Makani had plenty of time to talk to the other alliance about getting a spot in the tent.  She chose to go cry in a stream instead.  She kept saying that she wanted to sleep outside before they got the tent.  Were they supposed to read her mind?  Chris and Cody were saying that they wanted to build shelters.

I think that Makani and Cody are angling for a career on MTV.  I can't see any consistency in what Makani is doing or saying, and she keeps attacking Eilish's family, which is obviously just going to make relations between the two alliances even worse.  It is possibly that she just doesn't know how to interact with people, but I think that she was more than happy to go along with the team thing that Cody was wanting to create from the beginning.  They're too transparently trying to be the villains.

• Love 4

MTV would probably be thrilled to hear this episode made me so outraged I could barely watch it.  Those four assholes spent the entire hour speaking as though everything was being purchased with money straight out of their own pockets--and only their pockets.

"This is our tent, our cheeseburger, our deli sandwich, all the food is ours, You're lucky we gave you some peanut butter!  In fact, forget it, we're entitled to eat your peanut butter--because we were generous enough to give it to you in the first place--and we're not giving you any more in the future.  Just go ahead and starve."

I would be so ashamed if any of those four were related to me.

And I don't have much respect for Cody's gameplay, either.  He was perfectly happy to let Makina be confrontational and take a stand, with precious little support from him.  "I'll get you some water, tomorrow."  But when the Asshole Four were all settled into their better/newer tent and had no reason to be mad at him, he was happy enough to share her shelter.  (And stink it up with his BO.  Who turns down the chance to bathe after three weeks and an episode of diarrhea?)

I don't think it's possible to make any argument AT ALL that anyone "brought this on themselves."  Personal antipathy and previous behavior are irrelevant in light of the undeniable fact that group money is being used to purchase products, which the group is then equally entitled to enjoy.

• Love 6