Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Young England

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Watched first season again on PBS to prepare for season 2.  Wiki'd Ernest to see if more came of the. To say the least, he was ;not a nice guy.  Probably had STDs that he passed on to his wife, making her infertile.   The only children he may have fathered were illegitimate. 

I did appreciate the contrast between the childbirth scene here, and the ones in The Crown, where at least for a while, women were put to sleep and the husband stayed out of the room.

I certainly empathize with Victoria in the whole uncomfortable feeling when one is in the late stages of pregnancy.

The 'attempted assassination' was pretty well done, even though the outcome was not in any doubt.  I like V being brave enough to venture outside again when the shooter was declared insane.  

I continue to think the Skerrit/Fraconelli story worthless.  The guy was offering to marry her and was obviously more well off and stable than the guy that knocked up the real Skerrit.  I failed to see why Nancy wouldn't accept his offer.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Hanahope said:

I continue to think the Skerrit/Fraconelli story worthless.  The guy was offering to marry her and was obviously more well off and stable than the guy that knocked up the real Skerrit.  I failed to see why Nancy wouldn't accept his offer.

And from another POV, I really enjoy the Skerrett/Francatelli story (fictional though it may be) as it highlights the limitations women faced (who were not royalty or "nobility" - or even middle class). I totally understood Nancy's decision. She was a rational woman and decided to keep the bird in her hand - a "decent", reasonably well paying job with "prestige"  - vs. a gamble that the man she was attracted to, but did not really know, would do the right thing by her.  She would always be "beholden" or under the control of Francatelli (or any man she married) whereas, as "Mrs. Skerrett" she would be the master of her own fate and make decisions (to the extent she could) based on her own requirements.

I was satisfied that she listened to her friend/family member (don't recall the relationship) and chose control of her own life. And this despite me actually "shipping" Skerritelli.

But that's just me.

Edited by Anothermi
  • Love 3