Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E19: The Sleep Styler, Blendtique, MealEnders, Rareform

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Sleep Styler lady lied....they aren't $39, they're $45. But I want some. I color my hair so not having to blow it dry and use a curling iron would be ideal. I'm going to order some when they come out on Amazon at a lower price. Conair has a similar product, but it has a wire inside that allows you to bend the roller, so that's not appealing to me.

Barbara drinking wine in that straw cracked me up! Mark's reaction was priceless!! And they all got slightly drunk... this presentation could have gone way off the rails, LOL!

I'm not interested in having a bag that was once a billboard...anyone??

• Love 3

The sharks had me roaring with laughter tonight.  I love when they act silly with each other and show some personality above and beyond what we normally see in the tank.

Those curlers brought back childhood memories for sure. When I was a little girl growing up in the 60's, my mother bought these pink plastic curler bobbin type thingies and made me her guinea pig. Couldn't get a wink of sleep. Between those and her using me to experiment with the Toni home perm kit, I look back and wonder if I should have called in the authorities.

I love bags and thought the billboard bags might be cool and unique, but they looked flimsy and cheap. One sharp edge would rip a hole and out pours your stuff. At least they weren't donating 10% or a random backpack to a charity in order to appeal to the demographic that needs to assuage its guilt over material possessions, so I'll give them points for that.

I put that miracle weight loss candy/lozenge into the same category as supplements, i.e., not interested in pseudo-science.

• Love 8
(edited)

My mom used to eat a caramel candy called AYDS (named before the epidemic) that also worked to curb the appetite. Reminds me of the lozenge.

I like the idea of the hair curlers but I'm very much the princess and the pea so I doubt I'd be able to sleep in them. Might be able to put them in the morning and take them out later in the day.

The make your own wine was a cute gimmick. Definitely can see if going the way of Plant Nite and Paint Nite. People pay $25-30 for those things plus the cost of booze and food.

Edited by Lola16
eta: spelling
  • Love 1

There are tonnes of billboard bag companies out there, and their products all look very similar. I had a billboard bag 15 years ago. Clearly selling people on the concept isn't the problem the sharks think it is, but it definitely isn't unique. 

That wine-blending thing seemed tacky and gross, and the man, logo, and concept seemed to have stepped out of the 90s. 

• Love 4

Neither I nor any woman I know spends anywhere close to an hour a day on their hair. And the long hair "beachy waves" style is tired. But I guess this kind of product is right up Lori's alley, so good for the two of them.

The wine activity didn't look fun, the appetite-suppressant lozenges sounded gross (not to mention, potentially dangerous), and the billboard bags are nothing I haven't seen before. The only interesting part of the episode was Robert's back story. I'm also an immigrant from a former communist country, so I can relate (especially to the "damn right, it's hard; it's supposed to be hard" part).

• Love 7

Fast forwarded through Robert's profile. He is by far my least favorite shark. 

Agree that most of these products are "meh".  The wine thing is repulsive to me, but I wouldn't be their target market. Wine is a bit of a hobby for me, and they have you playing mad scientist with what is almost certainly wines made from excess grapes/juice destined for Two Buck Chuck. And I'm not being snobby about that - if that's what you enjoy, there is no need to pay $25+ a bottle. But the price point is playing in the big boy leagues. I'm snobby about someone spending $100 for a flask and 4 375ml bottle of trash. I'm snobby about someone spending $25 a bottle for their customized trash, when there is no info on where this is sourced from, and the product will vary greatly based on who they buy their grapes and overflow juice from and when. It will vary from barrel to barrel. How do they quality control that what you created with the blend can be exactly duplicated? I feel like they are banking on their audience not being able to tell the difference, and that's sketchy. $100 and even $25 can buy some very nice wines that are undoubtably more enjoyable. There are products on Shark Tank where I'm simply not the target customer. Then there are products that I want to kill with fire. This is one of them. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Robert, marry me! What a great guy. So much devotion and gratitude to his parents. 

He just got married to his partner from DWTS, so he's off the market. :)

8 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

Those curlers brought back childhood memories for sure. When I was a little girl growing up in the 60's, my mother bought these pink plastic curler bobbin type thingies and made me her guinea pig. Couldn't get a wink of sleep. Between those and her using me to experiment with the Toni home perm kit, I look back and wonder if I should have called in the authorities.

Same here on both counts. I remember after my first home perm, I cried and said "I look like Granny!"

7 hours ago, Lola16 said:

My mom used to eat a caramel candy called AIDS (named before the epidemic) that also worked to curb the appetite. Reminds me of the lozenge.

I remember those! They came in a candy box. I think my mom tried them also.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, PreviouslyTV said:

The wine flows free and furiously on one segment of Shark Tank, and that's all the excuse we need to delve into the curious relationship of Barbara Corcoran and Kevin O'Leary.

Now all I can think about is having Clark Muban on as a guest shark.

He made his dough in pharmaceuticals, overdoes the Botox, and is heavily invested in the beauty and cosmetics "space." In my mind, he looks and acts a lot like Todd Chrisley.

• Love 1
(edited)

I had a billboard bag about 20 years ago; I bought it on the street in NYC (Village).   I loved it.  It was clearly made from a billboard that had been taken down so it was flexible and had a worn look to it.  Coolest bag I have ever owned.  

The rollers are a great idea and I will buy some for my granddaughter when they hit amazon.  I remember sleeping on sponge rollers and they didn't bother me at all.   However I call BS on the woman for one thing.  She said she had frizzy hair.  The top of her head down to the roller was sleek and shiny.  She had her hair styled, THEN put the rollers in for show and tell.  Minor point because those with straight hair will snap them up.  She and Laurie will make good money on those.  

I remember my mother and the aids candy.  I remember the Profile Bread commercial, too.  It said to eat 2 slices before a meal so you would over eat!  LOL.  My mother said, slab a piece of ham in there and call it dinner.  There was also a cracker that when you ate it and drank water it ballooned up in your stomach so you felt full.  My mother tried all of these things even though she was very tiny.  Read fatphobic! LOL!  

Lori is my least favorite shark.  I like Robert but it annoys me that he always takes a sample for Lori and hands it to her.  Let her reach and get her own.  I know it is polite and he is a good man for doing that.   Bugs me, that is all. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 3

I would totally get a billboard bag as a gym duffel or a weekender. I liked the look of them, personally, and I'm one of those suckers who will happily shell out for anything you tell me is good for the planet or has a story behind it. 

I'm a fitful sleeper and have never understood people who sleep in any sort of hair styling apparatus; when I was a kid the braiding thing didn't even work for me because I would inevitably screw everything up by flipping around on the pillow eight billion times per night. Also a big no on the claim of how long most women take in the morning to get their hair ready. Yeah, I take an hour probably...to get all of me ready -- hair, makeup, clothes, cats fed, etc. I don't know any women who are actually doing all that in the morning before work. At my most high-maintenance, when I needed my difficult-to-manage hair looking as perfect as possible, I did all the prep work the night before (wash, dry, straighten), which would legit take an hour or so, and then in the morning would quickly throw the curling wand at it, twenty minutes at most. And while I generally liked the woman pitching the product, I rolled my eyes at her demonstration. She had a couple bags of extensions in her hair, and had had it professionally styled before wrapping it up. I don't blame her for it, because everything in the beauty industry is a lie, but still.

I liked Robert's segment, but his line about how business knows no race, gender, religion, etc. (paraphrasing) grated me rather than inspired me. Yes, I can definitely see how as an immigrant starting your own business can help someone avoid some of the worst of racism and xenophobia that would prohibit getting hired at, let alone promoted, in a lot of companies. But it's also something a little too easy for a white man like Robert to say, a little bit too much of a privileged oversimplification. Hell, just look at the distribution of the Sharks as a small indicator. Majority men, all white except for Damon (who isn't on every week), and unless I'm missing someone all of the guest sharks have been white men (and 80% of them have been Chris Sacca, which is a real shame). Business is very well aware of race, gender, and sexual orientation.

• Love 7

So many of these products seemed like retreads.  Eagle eyes posters already mentioned Ayds, billboard purses from the 80s, and sponge curlers (my sister used the empty orange juice concentrate tubes for her rollers).  It's just recycling old ideas at this point it seems.

I really enjoyed Robert's story.  The old intro always mentioned that Robert's father was an immigrant, but I didn't realize that Robert was born in Croatia and not in Canada.  I found it to be an inspiring story.

• Love 7

Its not necessarily easy for "white men" not to be discriminated against -- if you were from Communist Europe after WW2 up until like the '70s, and had an accent, you would be called a "DP" (supposedly, Displaced Person or something worse with the same initials) and thought of as a moron.  Robert's father had a good job and if he would have kept him mouth shut and been a "good Commie" he wouldn't have had to work as a janitor in Canada!

Why more Sacca(shI!)?  WHY?!  WHY?!/Nancy Kerrigan.

I sincerely hate it when these folks come on the job who have given up doctors, lawyers, etc. high end cushy jobs to shill crap they made themselves.  Hundreds of thousands of dollars of education and years of work and family sacrifice down the drain for an iffy prospect at a job a high school grad could do.  Makes no damn sense to me.  I prefer the stories where its an ordinary schmo who pulled himself up by his bootstraps (sorta like Robert).

• Love 9

I lost respect for the eye doctor when she said she and her husband both still had student loans...but she put 100k of her own money into the business...yeah that's why you still have student loans. Also if the B-roll were their actual house in San Diego, that is also why. It's disingenuous to be all "we still have student loans 10 years in!" when she's clearly put plenty of her money elsewhere. She could've chosen to pay off those loans first. If they didn't, then either she's in bad shape financially, or if she's not, then she had the choice of where to put her money and apparently decided continuing to pay off the loans slowly was better for herself long term.

• Love 13
3 hours ago, Lord Donia said:

Now all I can think about is having Clark Muban on as a guest shark.

I imagine Clark as both a literal and figurative sock puppet who says things like "What a great deal Mark is offering, you should totally take it!" and also throws shade at Chris Sacca at every opportunity.

27 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

So many of these products seemed like retreads.  Eagle eyes posters already mentioned Ayds, billboard purses from the 80s, and sponge curlers (my sister used the empty orange juice concentrate tubes for her rollers).  It's just recycling old ideas at this point it seems.

I really enjoyed Robert's story.  The old intro always mentioned that Robert's father was an immigrant, but I didn't realize that Robert was born in Croatia and not in Canada.  I found it to be an inspiring story.

In fairness they are both new methods for the same approach. The rollers use a new material, and the lozenge had the "two stage" approach. Not saying that either works better than the original, but there is something new there. Very few products are completely original.

I was surprised there wasn't a patent discussion around the rollers, since they seem easy to knock off, but maybe there was an uninteresting exchange that didn't make the cut. Part of the problem with the amount of editing they do is that we don't always see much consistency in the issues the Sharks ask about.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

I'm not interested in having a bag that was once a billboard...anyone??

Me.  In fact, my husband, who almost never likes Tank products, is also considering getting one of their messenger bags.  And Lori's complaint about not knowing what you're going to get, they say on their website that what you're clicking on is exactly what will be in the box from them.

22 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

I lost respect for the eye doctor when she said she and her husband both still had student loans...but she put 100k of her own money into the business...yeah that's why you still have student loans.

She's an ophthalmologist and he's a cardiologist.  Those are two of the best paid specialties there are out there.  I have student loans, higher than I care to admit, and if I had $100K lying around, I'd damn put that against the principle of the loan.  

I found her practices' website.  She also does Botox and fillers on the side.  Practicing medicine as a hobby makes you look like a dilettante.  Certainly not why I put myself through it.

I didn't care for her.  Can you tell?

The wine thing looked like so much fun.  It really would be a great activity for something like a cruise ship, so while Mark might be right that the dude was unfocused, it's not a bad side avenue to explore either.  I have to wonder if Lori rescinded the offer after she sobered up.  She looked pretty damned tipsy by the end of the segment.

Diet candy guy was a jackass.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, annewithaneee said:

I liked Robert's segment, but his line about how business knows no race, gender, religion, etc. (paraphrasing) grated me rather than inspired me. Yes, I can definitely see how as an immigrant starting your own business can help someone avoid some of the worst of racism and xenophobia that would prohibit getting hired at, let alone promoted, in a lot of companies. But it's also something a little too easy for a white man like Robert to say, a little bit too much of a privileged oversimplification. Hell, just look at the distribution of the Sharks as a small indicator. Majority men, all white except for Damon (who isn't on every week), and unless I'm missing someone all of the guest sharks have been white men (and 80% of them have been Chris Sacca, which is a real shame). Business is very well aware of race, gender, and sexual orientation.

Yeah, I had the same reaction. Someone in the tech industry should especially know better, given how disproportionately VCs (who are usually white men) favor other white men. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, hkit said:

Fast forwarded through Robert's profile. He is by far my least favorite shark. 

How come?  I didn't think Robert was anybody's least favorite shark.

• Love 4

Same impression of the ophthalmologist, for a couple of reasons.  For one, if you've studied for umpteen years to treat eye diseases and abnormalities, it seems disrespectful to the training you got to then spend more than half of your time sewing up cylinders to make people's hair prettier. 

Second, that thing about the student loans.  Also foolish.

And a small thing - she is definitely a First World diva if her solution to not knowing about sewing was to enroll in Fashion School.  Seriously?  First of all, when she applied, did they know she just wanted to get some background in sewing?   And then, attending fashion school would take quite a bit of time.  The "skills" she mentioned learning, serged edges and seam allowances, she could have learned in an hour or two of sewing lessons at a sewing machine store.  

• Love 9
2 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

my sister used the empty orange juice concentrate tubes for her rollers

I have an old photo of a good friend wearing those on her head. She's very successful in the entertainment industry and she'd die a thousand deaths if I ever posted it anywhere. :)

2 hours ago, Latverian Diplomat said:

I was surprised there wasn't a patent discussion around the rollers, since they seem easy to knock off, but maybe there was an uninteresting exchange that didn't make the cut.

Conair makes them, has for years. There's are slightly different, not yoga towel material. And they have a wire inside that allows you to bend the rollers. I'm surprised Miss QVC didn't remember that.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Shellie said:

I find his need for validation exhausting. He strikes me as very insecure. 

• Love 4

I was actually tempted to get those curler things, but my hair never holds a curl and I don't feel like spending $45 to test whether this is one thing that will actually work.

I remember those pink cushy curlers when I was a kid, but they were super uncomfortable, and the Sharks seemed to confirm this new product felt better. Although I probably shouldn't trust Lori when she said that knowing she was investing in it.

They should give the Sharks wine before every episode.

• Love 3

See, I think Kevin and Barbara secretly like each other. Not LIKE like, but friends like.

The whole show was a flame out to me. No Daymond. Lori got half the deals (my least favourite shark, although Robert would be my second least favourite shark, yes, even over Kevin) and I hated almost all of the stuff. I actually really liked the hair rollers, but they're way overpriced and I also can't stand people who throw away years of education to become entrepreneurs. I literally just hate it.

On the bad news, bad news side of things: Sacca is back next week. My. How we've missed him.

• Love 2

I don't understand how MealEnders are supposed to stop you from overeating if you take them at the end of the meal. Wouldn't all the overeating happen during the meal, when you're actually eating...

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, PepperMonkey said:

On the bad news, bad news side of things: Sacca is back next week. My. How we've missed him.

I think next week is a re-run at least - the presenters in the promo looked familair (Chi'lantro maybe?). So it's at least not additonal Sacca and just repeated Sacca. Reheated Sacca, if you will. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, theatremouse said:

I lost respect for the eye doctor when she said she and her husband both still had student loans...but she put 100k of her own money into the business...yeah that's why you still have student loans.

I just hope that she isn't among the group of the people expecting her student loans to be "forgiven" and happily allowing others (if you are wondering who "others" are, just look in the mirror, folks) to make good on them. I'm not interested in my tax dollars going to paying off a loan for someone who decided that she doesn't really want to practice medicine anymore.

I don't begrudge her decision. In fact, I know of at least two doctors who never practiced after all those years of education (both women, one is my sister-in-law, one studied to be a psychiatrist and my SIL was a rheumatologist which would be an incredible money-making venture what with the baby boomers growing old). Spending $100K on fashion school/her curlers instead of paying her debt is like having someone who owes you a significant amount of money posting pictures of a fabulous costly vacation on Facebook.  

Oh wait, didn't something like that just happen to Tori Spelling after she threw an extravagant baby shower for Baby #5?

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Chippings said:

And a small thing - she is definitely a First World diva if her solution to not knowing about sewing was to enroll in Fashion School.  Seriously?  First of all, when she applied, did they know she just wanted to get some background in sewing?   And then, attending fashion school would take quite a bit of time.  The "skills" she mentioned learning, serged edges and seam allowances, she could have learned in an hour or two of sewing lessons at a sewing machine store.  

Not my area, but she said she learned how to speak to and design for manufacturers about mass production. I'm not sure how many hobbyists, even adept ones, could do that. I can believe that fashion school is a reasonable place to learn to do that.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, starri said:

I found her practices' website.  She also does Botox and fillers on the side.  Practicing medicine as a hobby makes you look like a dilettante.  Certainly not why I put myself through it.

Woooow that's bad. I mean, I guess I respect a side hustle but...I'd give my LASIK lady the side-eye if she could also inject some botulism into my crow's feet and sell me microfiber curlers for fifty bucks. 

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Shellie said:

He has a bit of a reputation for being disingenuous. I think the numbers back that up where he has the largest number of modified or abandoned deals. (With a notable negative being "You Smell" soap where he won a bidding war to make the deal and then according to the entrepreneur never returned her phone calls.)

6 hours ago, kalamac said:

I don't understand how MealEnders are supposed to stop you from overeating if you take them at the end of the meal. Wouldn't all the overeating happen during the meal, when you're actually eating...

That's not usually the challenge. Anyone who can read calories (and optionally use a food scale) can make a meal that's well within a planned diet. The problem is once you've cleaned your plate and think "gosh, I really want more food right now." Something that ends the meal to stop that desire is good.

Of course you can get a similar effect by brushing your teeth. Not as portable or as compelling as chocolate candies, but it sounds like he hit a lot of the same effect. ("I don't think other food would taste good after this.")

• Love 3
8 hours ago, annewithaneee said:

Woooow that's bad. I mean, I guess I respect a side hustle but...I'd give my LASIK lady the side-eye if she could also inject some botulism into my crow's feet and sell me microfiber curlers for fifty bucks. 

I agree! I know someone whose dad is a chiropractor AND he also does the Botox and filler injections. I go to a sports chiropractor and asked her about that. She of course was hesitant to bash the guy but said she was uncomfortable with the idea. 

15 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

I just hope that she isn't among the group of the people expecting her student loans to be "forgiven" and happily allowing others (if you are wondering who "others" are, just look in the mirror, folks) to make good on them.

Loan forgiveness isn't some kind of magical "get out of debt free" card.  You're still taxed on the amount forgiven.And unlike undergrad loans, the interest on Grad PLUS loans doesn't freeze when you're in school.  Ophthalmology is a a four-year residency which pays a pittance relative to the work you do.

All that said, when someone is running a practice which in large part involves cash-only transactions like LASIK and botox, she should really not have much student debt left.

The certification to give cosmetic injectables is incredibly lax, since they aren't exactly benign procedures.

• Love 2

If I wanted to wreck my taste buds so I wouldn't eat as much, I'd just stick a Warhead on the center of my tongue for a minute. Remember those? They're still around. Super sour candies that basically obliterate your mouth. I used to LOVE them when I was a kid, I tried them once as an adult and the flavor is terrible now. They're cheaper and easier to obtain (Walgreens, Dollar Tree, etc) than whatever that dude was selling.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Chippings said:

I have students who apply to fashion design programs and as part of their portfolio, have to show their ability to sew. And, they don't use the term "fashion school". I wonder if she means that she took a few week course offered by sewing machines dealers, Mood Fabrics, Craftsy, etc. Those would use the term "fashion school", and you just sign up. You don't need to create a portfolio and get accepted. They have sewing courses, as well as courses on the business of fashion, which is how she would learn the terminology.

• Love 1

While the pay sucks during residency and it's hard to say how long they've been out... she and her husband are in very, very well paying specialties and those loans should have been paid off... The interest on student loans is terrible and you waste so much more money not paying. it. I'm only 4 years out of training in one of the lowest paying medical specialties there is and hopefully my loans ( that started at 250,000) will be paid off in the next 1-2 years. We don't live an extravagant lifestyle by any means, but we also aren't scraping by to pay it off that fast.

But perhaps her driving force was financial, hence her seeking other ways to make even more money.

Another episode with some bleh products.

22 minutes ago, PumpkinPK said:

So the dress Lori had on tonight, with the hourglass-shape bright colorblock down the center... I feel like I have seen her in that dress dozens of times.

I've definitely seen her wear that dress in several episodes this season. I wouldn't be surprised if Shark Tank filmed several episodes in one day and maybe crammed the whole season into one week of filming, since none of the Sharks live in LA (except maybe for Robert now that he's married to Kym and she films DWTS in LA) and have many other commitments.

• Love 2
On 3/3/2017 at 11:50 PM, hoodooznoodooz said:

Robert, marry me! What a great guy. So much devotion and gratitude to his parents. 

I just love Robert even more after that profile! I'm really enjoying the profiles of the Sharks.

Seems like I've read somewhere that they do film the episodes over the course of several days. I've also noticed Lori in that colorblock dress all season. In addition to scheduling, I guess this would make editing easier, in case the producers want to rearrange the businesses that appear on each episode without being so obvious about it. Of course, the chunked filming would really suck for the businesses that filmed last summer but have to wait until March for the advertising and to let their clients know they got a deal.

Kevin crowing about how all his companies love him made me wonder: do we ever hear from companies that regret their Shark Tank deals?

And unless I'm mistaken, the federal loan forgiveness programs only apply to people in public service professions. You actually have to prove that your job helps the community or whatever (so unless the ophthalmologists are giving free Lasik to poor people, they wouldn't qualify.)  They're also very restrictive. I've been a public school teacher for 20 years -- including 3/4 of those in low-income schools -- yet I don't qualify because I consolidated years ago when I was young and stupid. I'll be paying that $20K loan for the rest of my life.

• Love 1

On Dragon's Den (Canadian version), they'll do updates on people who didn't get a deal but are doing great, people who didn't get a deal and are still struggling, people who got a deal but it fell through (for whatever reason) and I feel that makes the show about the business world and how businesses can succeed and fail.  When Shark Tank only updates on people who are thrilled, I feel it's nothing but a promotional machine.

• Love 7
28 minutes ago, wisteria said:

Seems like I've read somewhere that they do film the episodes over the course of several days. I've also noticed Lori in that colorblock dress all season. In addition to scheduling, I guess this would make editing easier, in case the producers want to rearrange the businesses that appear on each episode without being so obvious about it. Of course, the chunked filming would really suck for the businesses that filmed last summer but have to wait until March for the advertising and to let their clients know they got a deal.

I absolutely agree.  It's like the Voice.  There have been 4 episodes of auditions and still a handful more to come and everyone is wearing the same clothes in every episode.  a) They shoot more than one episode in a day and b) it lets the producers mix and match for maximum drama.

On 3/4/2017 at 10:17 PM, annewithaneee said:

I realize I'm going off topic, but had to mention the GYN I talked to about getting a hysterectomy last year.  They suspected I had cancer, so it was a serious discussion.  In the middle of it, he offered to do a stomach stapling "While he was in there".  Granted, we had touched on my weight and that I need to lose, but really!?  I wondered if he were joking, hubby says he thinks the guy was totally serious...

And I don't see how those curler things would work for many women.  If you didn't do the long loose waves, not sure it would help.  And I didn't really like how the model in her video looked after taking them out.