Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: The Cock Barrens

Alice is back! I love the character so much that a tiny part of me is glad to have her around even though its not really her. I felt so da/ mn bad for Quentin this episode and even Alice's parents. Her dad was clearly grieving and trying to get things done and I'm even pleased that they didn't have Alice's mom do an about face and change her character into someone who was sincere/ effusive about her loss. She was the same woman we met in Season 1.

I know that Dana lady really fucked up by knocking Julia out and screwing with her but shit, I don't wish Reynard on anyone. I have a guess on who Dana's child is that she gave away years ago based on casting info but I'll keep it to myself (for now) to see if it ends up being right!

I really like Kady and Julia's friendship. It started off rather reluctantly, but I genuinely believe in them as friends.

• Love 9

Maybe I've seen one too many horror movies, but as soon as Dana invited Julia inside, I heard Whoopi Goldberg yelling, "Girl, you in danger!" And then she took her down to the basement so I knew shit was about to get bad. Luckily Julia isn't a complete moron. Always send a pindrop to someone before you go into a potentially dangerous situation! Bonus points for the magical handprint on the wall. Thank goodness Kady got impatient and rescued her. Poor Sloth. At least he got rescued too.

All I really got from Dana is that her kid with Reynard is a boy and we know he is 40 years old, so thankfully that rules out Quentin, Penny, Eliot, and Josh since they are all too young. I guess it could be anyone's father (including the female characters). Mayakovsky is too old, so the only other male character we already know who is around the right age is Dean Fogg and he's in a position of power.

I initially found Alice a little too uptight at the beginning of S1 but every time we learn more about her family, I understand and sympathize so much more. Her parents are both pieces of work. When Quentin arrived at the wake and he overheard Alice's mom going on and on about herself, I was like dude, turn around and walk away, Quentin! Sure enough, when it came time for Alice's mom to paint an accurate picture of Alice, it was still all about her. I was relieved when Quentin told her to stop making it about herself. I know both of her parents are dealing with her death, but sheesh.

• Love 4

Penny is always so irritable. I wonder what Margot thinks war means. Also does that other kingdom exist or not ? 

Prince S, FU fighters. They're definitely having fun with word play. 

It was good that Elliot's wife confessed, nothing so tedious as a secret held on too tight and too long.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I initially found Alice a little too uptight at the beginning of S1 but every time we learn more about her family, I understand and sympathize so much more. Her parents are both pieces of work. When Quentin arrived at the wake and he overheard Alice's mom going on and on about herself, I was like dude, turn around and walk away, Quentin!

It was the way they styled her.  We are supposed to believe this uptight girl is wearing skin tight sweaters and tiny little skirts.  She looked like a combination of Alice in Wonderland and a naughty librarian from some men's fantasy story.

However, when we met her horrible parents, it all made sense.  She is truly one of the few self less people in this world and I knew she would come back. Q doing the ballet was funny.

• Love 5

I don't actually think Alice's father is all that bad. He at least knows what his own shortcomings are and actually tried to climb up the ladder for Alice. Her mother on the other hand....God what a spoiled, self-centered waste of perfectly good DNA.

Maybe she and Julia's mother should get together and compare notes.

• Love 4

I didn't/don't believe Alice is truly dead, so the characters mourning her is important if THEY see her as dead, but it's really part of the show I kind of find other things to do during. Penny, Margo, and Elliott, however, are all awesome, and I enjoyed their storylines. Possibly it's also because they are all in Fillory at present, and it has its own rules. I think Loria is either parallel to Fillory or microscopic, and that's why Penny saw the castle had never really "moved". I might have missed a clue, however.

Julia always drags the show down, and was no exception here. Of COURSE it was a trap! Anyone over ten would know that. I could forgive her being preoccupied over the pregnancy, but then I'd have to wonder why Little Julard wouldn't protect its host. the only interesting things that occurred were that now Julia has a way of disguising herself the same way that Ruby did (though the pregnancy already protected her, right?) and we know that Reynard and Ruby have a full-grown kid out there who is "powerful". This being TV, we've probably already met him.

• Love 4

I keep saying this and nobody has ever been able to confirm it, but it feels like this show is an hour long without commercials and SyFy cuts about 20 minutes out of every episode to make room for them. There always seem to be chunks of the story missing (and last season's finale was, in fact, over an hour long).

I'm assuming that Quentin seeing Alice across the street in New York (?) is what made him return to Fillory and try to raise her spirit or whatever, but last week he was all done with magic living a boring mortal life and now he's promising Margo and Elliot he'll come back and be King with them again. WTF? 

Also, the running gag with the map maker felt like it was missing something. It was sort of like a joke that fell flat because we missed the middle of it or something.

What did Dana say that beastie boy chained up in her cellar was called, and why did she have it down there? I missed that part.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I keep saying this and nobody has ever been able to confirm it, but it feels like this show is an hour long without commercials and SyFy cuts about 20 minutes out of every episode to make room for them. There always seem to be chunks of the story missing (and last season's finale was, in fact, over an hour long).

I'm assuming that Quentin seeing Alice across the street in New York (?) is what made him return to Fillory and try to raise her spirit or whatever, but last week he was all done with magic living a boring mortal life and now he's promising Margo and Elliot he'll come back and be King with them again. WTF? 

Also, the running gag with the map maker felt like it was missing something. It was sort of like a joke that fell flat because we missed the middle of it or something.

What did Dana say that beastie boy chained up in her cellar was called, and why did she have it down there? I missed that part.

It was frustrating to watch because it did seem like they were cutting out scenes, there were too many commercial breaks, and the breaks were in awkward places like in the middle of a scene. SyFy channel does a terrible job with this show.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I think it was a Haxton Daxton and it protected her from being scryed or found by Reynard while she was around it. Hence why Julia only found her when she went to the store for groceries and was away from the weirdo in the basement. 

Of course once Julia took it away, it opened the way for Reynard to find her and torture her before presumably killing her in a gruesome fashion. Not like Julia will care that she got another person killed. 

• Love 10
5 hours ago, Philbert said:

I don't actually think Alice's father is all that bad. He at least knows what his own shortcomings are and actually tried to climb up the ladder for Alice. Her mother on the other hand....God what a spoiled, self-centered waste of perfectly good DNA.

Maybe she and Julia's mother should get together and compare notes.

I think both of Alice's parents have problems and their co-dependency as a couple make them worse. Obviously, niffin Alice was just messing with both of them out of revenge or boredom, using Quentin in the process.

Can Elliot be deposed as king and still live? That would be a way to allow him to get back to Earth. By the way, how can Prince S go to Earth and back without the button?

No book references, please, if applicable.

• Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, wayne67 said:

IOf course once Julia took it away, it opened the way for Reynard to find her and torture her before presumably killing her in a gruesome fashion. Not like Julia will care that she got another person killed. 

I wonder in Dana hitting Julia in the head with a shovel, and chaining her to the basement wall somehow has anything to do with Julia's indifference to her plight? Me, I take a dim view about people that hit me with shovels. 

I don't understand what Dana was doing when she "captured" Julia, or why (was it to keep her close to the creature?) but it would have been much better for everybody, including (probably) dearly departed Dana, if she had tried to help Julia without using the shovel or the chain. 

Edited by Ja1979
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Ja1979 said:

I wonder in Dana hitting Julia in the head with a shovel, and chaining her to the basement wall somehow has anything to do with Julia's indifference to her plight? Me, I take a dim view about people that hit me with shovels. 

I don't understand what Dana was doing when she "captured" Julia, or why (was it to keep her close to the creature?) but it would have been much better for everybody, including (probably) dearly departed Dana, if she had tried to help Julia without using the shovel or the chain. 

Presumably Dana was trying to keep Julia from blabbing to anyone that she was there, after telling her that Reynard was loose because of her, so that her and her son? could avoid being tortured, captured, raped, eaten and or killed by Reynard. I'm assuming the idea was to keep Julia safely around the Daxton Paxton's magical cloaking field until she could give birth and Reynard could be banished. Dana presumably had 40 years of being paranoid about Reynard effecting her ability to come up with a polite plan on the fly. It was pragmatic, just not very considerate to Julia. 

Also Dana is just another in a long list of people that Julia has shown a callous indifference to; demonstrated when she cast the 'crazy spell' on Quentin for not arguing for her inclusion in Brakebill's, Kady's mom's death after helping Julia raid Marina's stash, when she stole the dagger letting the Beast kill and dismember people she didn't even know well enough to hate so she could get her revenge on Reynard. Julia's main characteristic in this show is insisting people should give her stuff, indifferent to the consequences to those people. I'm reminded of the guy she tricked into giving her spells at one of those Hedge Witch bars and she didn't even have the courtesy to teach him a spell after assaulting him.  Or when she ripped the bracelets off Penny for inconveniencing her after being told what they were for.

Julia is a spiteful entitled character with very little to redeem her. It doesn't help that her woe me routine is boring as hell compared to everyone else's storyline. Alice's niffin plot where she screwed with her parents was more amusing than anything Julia has ever done. 

• Love 16

I assumed Dana kidnapped Julia to make sure she gave birth in order to banish Reynard.  Dana obviously felt unsafe enough to capture the Haxonbeast after she banished Reynard the first time, I can imagine how unsafe she feels now knowing Reynard was back.  

Glad Kady was good for back up and Julia was smart enough to leave a mark.  Did Dana not have other shields/wards around her house?  Kady got in there very fast. 

I assume Prince S uses another fountain to get to earth.  Or his mom had something similar to the Fillorian button. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, ketose said:

I think both of Alice's parents have problems and their co-dependency as a couple make them worse. Obviously, niffin Alice was just messing with both of them out of revenge or boredom, using Quentin in the process.

Can't argue with that. Alice's mother is clearly toxic and brings out the worst in everybody around her. The co-dependency is a very good point. Pretty obvious that Alice's father sees himself as the caregiver in the relationship but he's also seriously damaged, if much less self absorbed than his wife.

• Love 2
(edited)
35 minutes ago, wayne67 said:

Kady's mom's death after helping Julia raid Marina's stash,

Actually Kady's mother crashed in on Julia who was doing the spell herself and convinced Julia to let her help. If she hadn't it would have been Julia killed by that defensive spell. Julia looked pretty broken up about her death to me. It was fairly bloody and horrible. People who are weeping over Marina's death need to remember that her hands weren't clean either....not that it justifies her own horrific death.

Edited by Philbert
  • Love 2

I love this show, and I'm not one to usually nitpick, BUT, how come Reynard couldn't find Dana when she went to buy groceries?

Okay, loved the rest. Loved having Alice back, and I halfway think Margo is gonna be like, "Just kidding! I'm gonna marry Common!"

• Love 4
5 hours ago, KaleyFirefly said:

It was frustrating to watch because it did seem like they were cutting out scenes, there were too many commercial breaks, and the breaks were in awkward places like in the middle of a scene. SyFy channel does a terrible job with this show.

Having watched season one on Netflix without the censoring and without commercial breaks, I don't recall any difference between the scenes there and the version on SyFy, so I am not sure they are actually removing scenes. However the breaks themselves are absolutely hideous, without any warning and looking for all the world like characters were cut off in mid sentence. That scene where Niffin Alice refers to Quentin as an idiot was especially egregious. I've been trying to cut Siffy some slack lately, since I'm really enjoying shows like this, The Expanse, and Killjoys but dammit people, that's just sloppy and unprofessional. The breaks in the following episode of "The Expanse" were artistic perfection by comparison.

• Love 2
(edited)
31 minutes ago, Philbert said:

Actually Kady's mother crashed in on Julia who was doing the spell herself and convinced Julia to let her help. If she hadn't it would have been Julia killed by that defensive spell. Julia looked pretty broken up about her death to me. It was fairly bloody and horrible. People who are weeping over Marina's death need to remember that her hands weren't clean either....not that it justifies her own horrific death.

I'm not saying Julia convinced Kady's mother to participate, but it was fairly obvious that Kady's mom was a bit shy of a full deck of cards and it was more about Julia getting what she wanted than anything else. From what I can remember other than that moment of shock directly afterwards. I don't remember Julia mentioning her role in her death to Kady or apologising for getting her killed. I could be wrong though, I haven't rewatched the first season. 

Marina's death was gruesome, despite her moral failures, she was fairly young. Maybe 25? It's fairly basic to have some empathy for that kind of death, I don't think I've seen anyone say that retroactively makes her an angel of light and purity but she was a strong and complex female character and her absence makes the show a little more shallow. (IMO) 

23 minutes ago, Teitr Styrr said:

I love this show, and I'm not one to usually nitpick, BUT, how come Reynard couldn't find Dana when she went to buy groceries?

Okay, loved the rest. Loved having Alice back, and I halfway think Margo is gonna be like, "Just kidding! I'm gonna marry Common!"

Presumably because he heard she was dead and when he checked to make sure, she wasn't showing up on his magical radar... Like how Julia couldn't find her immediately... there's gaps in coverage and if you hit the wrong time, you don't see her... 

Then Julia who's currently with his child who's probably frequently being check on through his magical radar disappeared from sight and he got suspicious and he narrowed it down to the last spot she was nearby... and found Dana's wards which had been damaged by Kady and BINGO, he had a new/old victim to toy with.  

Edited by wayne67
  • Love 3
(edited)
53 minutes ago, wayne67 said:

Marina's death was gruesome, despite her moral failures, she was fairly young. Maybe 25? It's fairly basic to have some empathy for that kind of death, I don't think I've seen anyone say that retroactively makes her an angel of light and purity but she was a strong and complex female character and her absence makes the show a little more shallow. (IMO) 

I wouldn't argue with any of that. I rather liked Marina, despite her occasional acts of brutality-she's the one who really screwed Quentin in Season One, although she used Julia to do it.

And while, I certainly agree about the show needing strong and complex female characters, I'd say that High Queen Margo is stepping into that role very nicely. God, she's scary.

Edited by Philbert
  • Love 4

Would have commented last night but would like to watch the ep again before
saying too much. Life is kind of nuts here right now & I've been having a 
hard time focusing. Same with last wk. Now to find the time to re-watch!

I'm glad that Alice is back too. The eye makeup they have on her makes her
look so sinister. I keep expecting her to do something evil to Q.

Poor Penny (or rather Arjun), he didn't do much this ep but run around.
Nice to see him visit someone's dream world again though. :)

I felt badly for Alice's dad, but not her mum. Perhaps because I'm not a
parent myself I didn't have much sympathy for her. I'm glad she finally
told the truth in front of the mirror.

What is Alice up to? Is she just fucking with Q or does she have an 
agenda? (an evil agenda? Are niffins basically evil/mischevious?)

So grandemocha, I am really curious who you think is Dana's child. I
myself have no guesses. So do we think that Dana (is that her name?) 
was going to keep Julia down there for 9 months until the kid popped
out or what? What a pain in the ass that would be. Bad enough she had
to scoop out that other guy's giant litter box. And are Julia and Kady
crazy? What are they going to do with him? He's gonna need clothes and
is he domesticated at all? Where are they going to keep him?

I had to laugh when Julia said that he was coming with them - I liked
her little smirk when she said this. First time I've found her likeable
in ages. But she really should have thought it through more. hehe. But
guess she had no time  Plus he will mask their whereabouts from Reynard.
I am looking forward to their upcoming adventures.

How did Kady find her? Phone gps?

I really like their friendship too.

EB, yeah, poor Alice. What parents. The mother especially.

I thought Margo was an idiot in this ep. She really needs some lessons
in diplomacy. She handled that whole Loria/Prince Ess thing really poorly &
not on Elliot's behalf either. She usually is protective of him but. I
can see why she was pissed but jesus, learn to be a leader rather than
an impulsive hotheaded bitch.

I love the costuming for Elliot & Margo in all their castle scenes.

Cool that Alice is embedded in Q's Kaiko (sp?). I find the idea of it
intriguing. But poor Q. That's gonna suck.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, kat165 said:

Cool that Alice is embedded in Q's Kaiko (sp?). I find the idea of it intriguing. But poor Q. That's gonna suck.

Yeah, it definitely sucks when you've got your pissed off ex-girlfriend on your back. ;-)

• Love 5

Eliot and Margot crack me the hell up. When Eliot figured out "Prince . . .S" and said, "oh, FUCK your parents . . . " I nearly fell over laughing.  And Margot's offense at being referred to as a "virgin" was hilarious!

• Love 5
6 hours ago, kat165 said:

How did Kady find her? Phone gps?

Julia texted a pindrop to Kady before she went inside the house.

6 hours ago, kat165 said:

Kaiko (sp?)

According to the books, it's spelled cacodemon.

14 hours ago, wayne67 said:
17 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I think it was a Haxton Daxton

It's actually haxanpaxan. In the Inside the Episode video above, Sera Gamble says she got the name from a collection of short stories called Every House Is Haunted by Ian Rogers.

• Love 3
On 3/1/2017 at 10:06 PM, grandemocha said:

I really like Kady and Julia's friendship. It started off rather reluctantly, but I genuinely believe in them as friends.

I am so glad Kady is back! I still really like Julia, mainly because I think the actress is wonderful, but her storyline feels so dark and isolated and lonely at times, and Kady brings a warmth that was much needed. I want to see them take on Raynard together and deal with her pregnancy. I've always liked Kady but I like her even better away from Penny.  Pretty much everyone is better this season. 

I didn't completely understand what the Prince Ess did, did he just glamour the castle so it seemed gone?

Elliot is so mean to his poor wife. I get that he doesn't really want to be married to her, but it's not her fault either.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, wayne67 said:

Of course once Julia took it away, it opened the way for Reynard to find her and torture her before presumably killing her in a gruesome fashion. Not like Julia will care that she got another person killed. 

Good Lord, Julia is awful.  Marina was brutal, but at least the deaths on her hands had purpose and agency.  Julia just kills people with her dumb fuckery.  Heck, when she betrayed the crew at the end of last season, she pretty much left them for dead (she had no way of knowing if Alice's God powers would bring them back).  She also expected them to accept this and ripped off Penny's chains, because they DARED to interfere with her plans.

Brakebills was right, she really is not cut out for the magical world.

• Love 9

I am trying so hard to feel bad for Julia, because she has had a lot of awful shit happen to her, but she is still ridiculously self absorbed and stupid. I'm just saying she's an awful person who has no empathy and shows no remorse for bad things she's done, but her tunnel vision leads to her getting lots of people hurt or screwing them over, and she seems to have no self awareness about it. First it was to get magic, and then it was to get revenge on Renard. Not terrible goals, its just the ways she goes about them. I still have trouble getting over her abandoning everyone else to their fates in Fillory when she made her deal with The beast. Yeah she had just gotten her horrible memories back, but she has shown zero remorse about what she did, even leaving Q, who is supposed to be one of her best friends. Then she had the nerve to be pissed at them for trying to kill The Beast later on, and not immediately forgiving her for her betrayal. She even ripped off Penny's wrist restraints for daring to mess up her "plan" they knew nothing about. That could have killed him, and she hardly knows the guy! How dare they try to defeat am evil monster!

Poor Alice. Her parents are just a total mess, especially her mom. I'm amazed she turned out as well as she did, even with her issues. She was still a decent person. Still feel bad for Q as well. At least we still have King Elliot and King Margo being hilarious to lighten things up.

• Love 11

So, if niffin Alice is "living" within Q's back tattoo, does that mean that she can come and go as she pleases, without having to be "summoned"? I actually don't know how niffins work... But I understood that Alice being tied to Q's tattoo is something new and unusual. Can anyone please enlighten me on this matter? I really want to see more of Alice, I hated to see her being killed, but I'm not sure I want to keep seeing her like this (even though her "haunted mansion" looks are eerily awesome).

• Love 2
2 hours ago, kinky said:

But I understood that Alice being tied to Q's tattoo is something new and unusual. Can anyone please enlighten me on this matter? I

It is new and unusual, not from the books.  So the writers have made up this idea, which is interesting.

• Love 4
(edited)

Not from the books, but probably one of the better ways of keeping Alice around in some capacity* for the foreseeable future.

I suspect that the "rules" for what Alice is capable of while bound to Quentin's tattoo will be explained next episode. For example, can anyone other than Quentin actually see her? Just how much magic can she wield while bound to the tattoo or is she just hijacking Quentin's magic? How much of niffin Alice is actually Alice? My hunches on those are "only Quentin can see her (potential hi-jinks definitely likely)", "limited poltergeisty stuff around Quentin (so she can make her opinions known to the rest of the group even Quentin doesn't feel like sharing them with anyone else)" and "Not as much as Quentin hopes at first, but will become more and more Alice-like over time." **

* book-related spoilers;

Spoiler

While Alice eventually gets de-niffin-ed in book three, the show couldn't really keep the actress on standby for at least a season (or more if they take more than one season to cover book two and/or three) because they'd basically have to be paying full price for an actress they aren't using and their budget is finite. That means that their only practical options were de-niffin Alice just a few episodes after her death (so they only have to pay her for the episode or two she doesn't appear in) and then composite her into the story until the show catches up with her de-niffin-ing (ex. Julia's season two arc is way off from the books so slotting Alice into Julia's role as one of Fillory's queens would be possible), let the actress go and hope to God that she's free to return once they get to that section of the story (because money is finite and paying for something you aren't using gets the people paying the bills upset) or do what they've gone with here; add a story element that allows them to use the actress, but in a way that lets them put off the de-niffin-ing until its proper place in the story (while retaining the option to still de-niffin her early if some other adaptational choice makes keeping her as she is impractical).

** book-related spoilers the second;

Spoiler

When Alice gets de-niffin-ed in the books she gets rather pissed at Quentin at first because she was basically free of all restrictions (even able to travel in time) and by re-embodying her he's shackled her in a mortal body again and it takes time for her to get better. In the show though she's already been bound by the cacodemon into Quentin's tattoo and I suspect that lack of freedom to just flit around free of all constraints will serve to 'ground' her personality as time goes on, thus making her more and more like the Alice we remember.

Edited by Chris24601
  • Love 3

Although there are probably a bunch of plot holes and such which I don't really even care to examine too closely (I hate when things that are probably fairly minor take me out of the story), it did puzzle/amuse me how Alice needed Quentin to open the safe when she was apparently strong enough to scratch the code number into the woodwork. I suppose someone else might have done that at an earlier point to make sure they didn't forget it, but it does rather defeat the purpose of a code wen you have it in easy view of the safe.

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

it did puzzle/amuse me how Alice needed Quentin to open the safe when she was apparently strong enough to scratch the code number into the woodwork. I suppose someone else might have done that at an earlier point to make sure they didn't forget it, but it does rather defeat the purpose of a code wen you have it in easy view of the safe.

I could have sworn that they showed after Q went into the room, another view of the picture/frame and there was no code number scratched into the woodwork, thereby indicating that it was in Q's head, which now we know is because Alice is within Q's tattoo.

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, Hanahope said:

I could have sworn that they showed after Q went into the room, another view of the picture/frame and there was no code number scratched into the woodwork

I can confirm this. On that scene, the scratched numbers were gone, the frame was intact. In relation to what @Chris24601 mentioned in a comment above, this may be an indication that only Q is able to see Alice at this point.

6 hours ago, kinky said:

I can confirm this. On that scene, the scratched numbers were gone, the frame was intact. In relation to what @Chris24601 mentioned in a comment above, this may be an indication that only Q is able to see Alice at this point.

Whoa! Well, evidently my brain is on nowhere near the sort of plane necessary for a thorough understanding of this show. Thanks :)

• Love 1

@Jynnan tonnix, you shouldn't watch Legion, then. That's a fun show to come here and talk about it and everyone realizing no one's understanding a thing :D

Anyway, I come here mostly to be enlightened about certain things on certain episodes that I didn't quite understand, so I'm glad if I am also able to enlighten someone :) 

Just realized that Dana looked pretty darn good for age 60+.  I don't recall there being anything specific as to whether she was a former Brakebills student, or just a hedge witch, so I suppose she might have been younger when she was raped by Reynard 40 years prior. 

On 04/03/2017 at 6:19 AM, tennisgurl said:

I am trying so hard to feel bad for Julia, because she has had a lot of awful shit happen to her, but she is still ridiculously self absorbed and stupid.

I got three quarters of the way through this episode and thought "wow, Julia is not awful this episode. I can totally see her POV". And then she takes the haxanpaxan - the only thing protecting that other woman from Reynard. But, hey, she hurt Julia and that's the greatest crime of them all! This woman is the world's worst narcissist.

On 03/03/2017 at 2:22 PM, Philbert said:

And while, I certainly agree about the show needing strong and complex female characters, I'd say that High Queen Margo is stepping into that role very nicely. God, she's scary.

Yeah, until she was negged and fell for it. WTF was that? Interesting sidebar, the concept of 'negging' only works in the US. As an Australian, any man who spoke to me like that could get fucked. Oh, you've only screwed superior Fillory women? Then get back to it, dude. My estimation of Margot just dropped 10 points. And then dropped more when she declared war over it.

Elliot's wife on the other hand is awesome.

• Love 2

I was beginning to like Julia more and she had to leave that woman to die, even after she knows how cruel Renauld is.  Plus maybe Dana had other relevant information to tell her about defeating him and the birthing process?

I liked Quentin trying to help the shadow Alice.  I hope she's not fully evil.  The actor is doing a good job of making me feel for his loss.

Penny being helpful was nice.  Fillorian politics is a bit of a hit and miss.