Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E14: Heavy is the Head

Artsda

Despite their lofty hopes, Phil and Jay's property investment might turn out to be a bust, forcing Phil to rethink his original dream. Meanwhile, Cam lands in the hospital due to a head injury and refuses to have an MRI thanks to a traumatic incident with a well when he was a child. 

This Alex subplot is ridiculous. Mono is rough but it's so hard to get back into college after you've had to stop especially for smart kids like her and I'm sick of seeing characters who would be the type to love college and being away from home get sucked back home because the writers can't think of anything better.

Edited by PupCal
  • Love 10

Cam covering when Lily told Mitchell about the new swear word she learned made me titter.

So Haley's still with Rainer, even though we didn't see him.  But I loved her reaction to every GoT detail that Manny told her.  Especially loved her crying over Hodor's tragic ending.

So Alex said it tonight.  She continued to work at the coffee shop, but she is back at school.  She might only work on the weekends when she's at home.

I liked Claire and Gloria's storyline, and I like the sweet way it was resolved.

Sad for Phil that he can't build the tower.  But at least he has a backup idea in a parking lot.

Luke and Joe were the absentees this week.  I wonder why there have to be episodes in which one or more of the kids are missing?

Edited by Michel
  • Love 5

I know it's just a show but they do live in California, a state with probably the toughest environmental regulations. IRL they wouldn't get that piece of land approved for a parking lot, much less a residential tower with that mess underground without jumping through hoops for cleanup. We're talking $$$$. Of course, IRL, the property would not have even been bought without a deed and utility search that would have shown the underground.

I'm being nit picky but other than that a pretty good episode. I've never seen Game of Thrones but I got the scene and it was funny.

• Love 3

The Claire/Gloria storyline drove me nuts, as it's one of my least favorite sitcom tropes - an easy five-second conversation could have solved everything. Either Claire could have said to Gloria, "Hey, this all looks wonderful and I appreciate it so much, but we've been having some money issues here at the company and I'm afraid of how this will look," or she could have said to her employees, "I know this looks extravagant after we just talked about budget cuts, but Gloria arranged this for me as a surprise for my birthday." It's just lazy.

Actually, it is comedy...or an attempt at comedy! If everyone acted like they would in real life, it would not be funny-I'm afraid I just hurt my own logic here since this episode was not all that funny.

• Love 4

Can I just say that I actually love that Cam getting bonked on the head had real consequences. All too often on TV people get hit on the head and it's a joke and that's not how it really works. TBIs can vary from mild concussions to very serious events. I also felt so much sympathy for him with the MRI. Those machines are scary to get into and be inside for any length of time. I've powered through once before and it was hard. Add in the actual head trauma and Cam and his plot was actually the most believable this week. I really felt for him and loved how Mitchell found a way to make him comfortable.

The Parking Lot doesn't work for me. You still have to dig to pave and put in a parking lot. If there is methane and sewage at the surface, you'd still need to spend hundreds of thousands to clean up the space before you could pave it. If it had just been something like "surprise the sewer runs through the lot", I could have bought it, but there's fire bursting from the ground. You have to fix that before you can do anything else because if someone gets hurt, you are liable.

Hated the Gloria/Claire plot. Like others have said, a very simple explanation would solve the whole thing. Gloria can be dramatic but if Claire explained the reality of the situation, I trust Gloria would get it.

The Game of Thrones lesson was actually really great. It's nice to see Haley and Manny together and it would have been even better if he hadn't been creepy at the end.

The stuff with Alex and the coffee shop is killing me slowly. Alex has always been one of my favourites and seeing her flounder because the writers don't know how to make her school plot work is so frustrating. She can be in school and be around. No one actually pays attention to the timeline in any of the other plots so why would it matter here? Claire was at work and Phil was working, but Lily was at home watching her science experiment and Manny was in a coffee shop giving a Game of Thrones lesson and the sun was up the whole time. It doesn't actually make any sense but you know what, no one cares! So put Alex back in school and have her around her family. No one will care.

Edited by vibeology
  • Love 12
2 hours ago, augmentedfourth said:

The Claire/Gloria storyline drove me nuts, as it's one of my least favorite sitcom tropes - an easy five-second conversation could have solved everything

Just like every plot of "Three's Company."  There an episode of "Friends" where they are all sitting in the living room and "Three’s Company" is on.  “Oh, I think this is the episode of 'Three’s Company' where there is some kind of misunderstanding,” Chandler says (sarcastically).  “Then I’ve already seen this,” replies Phoebe turning off the TV.

• Love 6

Phil, Phil, Phil. You're an experienced Real Estate guy. Even if it's residential. Did you not require a Phase I Environmental Assessment on the land before you bought it? That said, I'm sorry to see Dunphy Tower die off as quickly as it started. It would have been an interesting background story to watch develop like the Home Improvement Hot Rods. A delayed gratification in story, while other plots go on around it, even for Phil. The parking lot will still involve some development, but not the same.

As someone who's been through a concussion, an MRI should not take an hour. Maybe five minutes. They're looking for scaring and swelling, not organ performance, or tumor development. Also, following the MRI there really shouldn't have been a reason to wake him up from sleep, unless it was really bad. Given that he was running around, I'm guessing not.

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, Traveller519 said:

Also, following the MRI there really shouldn't have been a reason to wake him up from sleep, unless it was really bad.

That one drove me bananas. Admittedly I've only had a concussion once, but they did not wake me every 2 hours to make sure I don't die. The Mayo Clinic does not talk about that in their 'treatment of a concussion' page. I loathe that it is such a TV staple. 

I had an MRI done on my back many many years ago, I don't remember it being that bad. But I'm also not claustrophobic nor did I have any traumatic well experiences as child.  

11 hours ago, abstractstuff said:

Another childhood trauma story from Cam which causes him to flip out.

I could be wrong, but I think we've heard the well story before.  

• Love 1

My daughter had a concussion from something falling on top of her head.  She did have to be woken up every few hours - her roommates took turns.  Maybe there are different types of concussions?  I'm not a doctor.

What I liked about the well story was he was only in about an hour, and that it was all about Baby what's her name stealing his thunder.

How did the coffee shop folks describe Manny?  A short 40 year old who orders an insanely complicated drink?

• Love 4

I actually thought the Manny and Hayley plot was the funniest, even if it was the shortest. I loved Hayley getting all emotional about Hodor (but damn it Manny, spoilers!) and getting all excited to hear about the incest.

I also liked the other plots alright, although, in pure sitcom form, a lot of them could be solved by quickly explaining something, or it makes no sense in the real world. Still some funny lines and scenes though. The only story I didn't like was Alex. Just give the poor girl a break! Let her just be happy and in school! Why is that so hard?

• Love 3

While I get the IRL complications that make the Phil/Pritchett parking lot highly unlikely, may I say that I loved the "perspective lesson" Phil discovered at the end.  It resonated with a grand & glorious thump for me, and even though it's a lesson I learned years ago, recently -- thanks to circumstances -- I'd forgotten it.

Thank you MF writers for bringing it home to me again.

Edited by voiceover
Because autocorrect thought I was abbreviating "Maryland"
  • Love 6
46 minutes ago, voiceover said:

While I get the IRL complications that make the Phil/Pritchett parking lot highly unlikely, may I say that I loved the "perspective lesson" Phil discovered at the end.  It resonated with a grand & glorious thump for me, and even though it's a lesson I learned years ago, recently -- thanks to circumstances -- I'd forgotten it.

Thank you MD writers for bringing it home to me again.

When he first held up the drawing of the building I awwed that he must have drawn it at six.  I sorta died a little when he said he was fifteen.  These type of subtle jokes used to be the show's strong point.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Traveller519 said:

Phil, Phil, Phil. You're an experienced Real Estate guy. Even if it's residential. Did you not require a Phase I Environmental Assessment on the land before you bought it? That said, I'm sorry to see Dunphy Tower die off as quickly as it started. It would have been an interesting background story to watch develop like the Home Improvement Hot Rods. A delayed gratification in story, while other plots go on around it, even for Phil. The parking lot will still involve some development, but not the same.

As someone who's been through a concussion, an MRI should not take an hour. Maybe five minutes. They're looking for scaring and swelling, not organ performance, or tumor development. Also, following the MRI there really shouldn't have been a reason to wake him up from sleep, unless it was really bad. Given that he was running around, I'm guessing not.

You probably had a CT scan.  An MRI does take awhile.  30 minutes minimum. 

But no you don't have to wake the person up every 2 hours after a mild concussion.  If doctors are giving out that advice, they're wrong. More serious head trauma, maybe, but you should be hospitalized and monitored if its that bad. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, vibeology said:

I also felt so much sympathy for him with the MRI. Those machines are scary to get into and be inside for any length of time. I've powered through once before and it was hard.

Really?  When I was ten, I was put into one for about an hour, as well, and there was tons of space in there.  I wonder how it was so compressed for Cam?

4 hours ago, meep.meep said:

What I liked about the well story was he was only in about an hour, and that it was all about Baby what's her name stealing his thunder.

Jessica.  Baby Jessica.

4 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

The only story I didn't like was Alex. Just give the poor girl a break! Let her just be happy and in school! Why is that so hard?

She is still in school.  She said in a confessional that she's doing both.

42 minutes ago, Michel said:

She is still in school.  She said in a confessional that she's doing both.

I heard that part, and I was glad to hear she was back. She still doesn't seem to be very happy though. She always seems stressed, with or without mono, and we never see her making friends or joining clubs or doing anything fun in college. This episode we get her acting desperate to get just two friends at her coffee place. I wish we could have more of her succeeding, even if its every once in awhile.

• Love 4

I get that misunderstandings are an inherent part of sitcoms (especially farcical ones like Modern Family). But a good sitcom won't put an allegedly smart character in a situation where they have all the information they need, and nonetheless have them act like an idiot for the sake of the plot.

And I think they could have worked this one out for it to make sense. One of Claire's coworkers could have said that she doesn't understand how they feel, because her family is so rich. And Claire could have said, "My family's not that rich; we don't throw around money like it's nothing."

That would be a lie, obviously...but it would have given her reason to hide her gift from everyone.

Edited by Blakeston
  • Love 3

Nothing worked for me this episode. I get yearly MRIs lasting hours so my sympathy level for Cam being such an insane drama queen (again...) was around zero. Suck it up. It's not fun but it's not the of the world.

Phil's stupid building project was, well, stupid. How much time passed from the last episode in the show's timeline? Enough for crazy red-tape permits and approvals and building plans to get drawn up and approved? Uh huh.

Haley "doesn't know actors' names"? There is no way she would be that out of touch about Game of Thrones. Even if she doesn't watch it, actors like Peter Dinklage are well known by now.

Everything felt like a badly acted school play, or worse, a cartoon. Broad jokes, overexaggerated gags (Alex's promotions, Claire's employees' anger), and it was just lame and unfunny. I don't get it, this show is so hit or miss. Why can't they just stick to a formula that works?

• Love 2
18 hours ago, joanne3482 said:
On 2/23/2017 at 0:48 AM, abstractstuff said:

Another childhood trauma story from Cam which causes him to flip out.

I could be wrong, but I think we've heard the well story before.  

That's why Mitchell was able to recite it along with him.

There is no way that a student at Caltech would have the ability to work every weekend during the school year and still perform at the level that Alex expects of herself. Yes, students have social lives and activities, but they also have problem sets and exams and work schedules are just not flexible enough.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 2

Why can't they just stick to a formula that works?

...which is having a scene at the end where all the plots wind together and the entire extended family is gathered together in one room.

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, augmentedfourth said:

The Claire/Gloria storyline drove me nuts, as it's one of my least favorite sitcom tropes - an easy five-second conversation could have solved everything. Either Claire could have said to Gloria, "Hey, this all looks wonderful and I appreciate it so much, but we've been having some money issues here at the company and I'm afraid of how this will look," or she could have said to her employees, "I know this looks extravagant after we just talked about budget cuts, but Gloria arranged this for me as a surprise for my birthday." It's just lazy.

The problem is, everyone at the company acts like complete idiots who are looking to blame Claire for anything. Because you know "Jay was the best boss ever, Claire, we hate you!" I agree, it is a comedy, so they have to stretch credibility, but really. I was happy when Gloria tore into them to shut up and get over it. She has known them for years and they are all whiners. 

• Love 7

When Alex mentions college, are we sure she means being back at CalTech? If I remember correctly, she was taking or interested in taking courses at a community college-- I thought that was what she was referring to with that comment. But maybe she finally is back at her university?

• Love 6
3 hours ago, readster said:

The problem is, everyone at the company acts like complete idiots who are looking to blame Claire for anything. Because you know "Jay was the best boss ever, Claire, we hate you!" I agree, it is a comedy, so they have to stretch credibility, but really. I was happy when Gloria tore into them to shut up and get over it. She has known them for years and they are all whiners. 

I hate the Claire work stories because I never find it believable that the employees behave so horribly to their boss.  It's ridiculous.

• Love 9

I wasn't sure if Alex was talking about what she was planning on doing when she went back to school (as in not back yet - took year off not semester from CalTech) or if she had gone back in some capacity.  I figured the former since there hasn't been any indication she's back to her studying ways.

So all of a sudden the company is in dire straits?!  I thought quite recently Claire was acting like they were doing so well.

The writers must have watched HGTV for research on the Phil/Jay plot line - they never find the severe problems until after purchase when most should have already been disclosed/discovered.  Yeah, not based in reality there either, but they do it for the drama!  And this show is a comedy, so who cares about reality-based details when a joke can be had!

I give Haley a pass on not knowing Peter Dinklage.  She probably wouldn't have known the name of the actor who plays Jon Snow either and coverage of his whole death thing was inescapable.

Cam surprisingly didn't annoy me as much as usual, but come on, child and hubby to think of.  And he was only stuck for an hour...as a teenager - let the baby have this one.  

Edited by indeed
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, AnnaRose said:

I hate the Claire work stories because I never find it believable that the employees behave so horribly to their boss.  It's ridiculous.

Speaking as a female boss, it isn't ridiculous at all.

But, if she's a good boss, Claire should have given them the food and the massages.  They are facing cutbacks.  And, she doesn't even want the stuff that Gloria is giving her.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, AnnaRose said:

They also whine about things constantly and then you add in they laugh when Claire gets hurt or when she makes a mistakes. I mean these are a bunch of the worst employees I have ever seen on TV. I mean, when Gloria finally told them off and that she did the entire spa for her with her own money. I mean they immediately were: "Claire doesn't care about us, she spends money on herself." 

• Love 3
16 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

That's why Mitchell was able to recite it along with him.

There is no way that a student at Caltech would have the ability to work every weekend during the school year and still perform at the level that Alex expects of herself. Yes, students have social lives and activities, but they also have problem sets and exams and work schedules are just not flexible enough.

Plenty of CalTech students work jobs and excel at school.

• Love 4
On 2/23/2017 at 9:47 AM, joanne3482 said:

I had an MRI done on my back many many years ago, I don't remember it being that bad. But I'm also not claustrophobic nor did I have any traumatic well experiences as child.

I have had an MRI on my head (proof that I am not literally brainless).  I didn't have any trouble with it but I am also not claustrophobic and endured no well trauma.  My biggest problem with it was that it was boring - I kept worrying that I would fall asleep and move my head too much, which would make it take longer.  It took about an hour (and they didn't have to do any parts over).  

My daughter also had an MRI on her head (she's not brainless either).  She was 8 at the time and they let me go into the room with her (they encouraged it).  I kept my hand on her leg so she would know I was there.  But, I realize the point of the scene was so Mitchell could prove he had some mechanical ability.  

On 2/23/2017 at 3:11 PM, Michel said:

Really?  When I was ten, I was put into one for about an hour, as well, and there was tons of space in there.  I wonder how it was so compressed for Cam?

I don't know you, but I assume that you, at 10, were much smaller than Cam is now.  

On 2/23/2017 at 8:47 PM, CleoCaesar said:

Haley "doesn't know actors' names"? There is no way she would be that out of touch about Game of Thrones. Even if she doesn't watch it, actors like Peter Dinklage are well known by now.

Peter who? I have never seen GoT, and have no idea who is on it.   I looked up Peter Dinklage on IMdB and I have seen pictures of him, but I don't remember seeing him in anything.  Looking through the list of things he's been on, it makes sense that I don't know him (I probably should watch 30 Rock someday).

Edited by needschocolate
removed a quote I wasn't responding to
  • Love 2

Not every person has trouble with an MRI, but it's no secret that many do.   Some people actually have to resort tranquilizers to get through one.  I am severely claustrophobic and was shocked when I had no issue going through with one, but I think the premise was entirely realistic.

• Love 1

My issue with my MRI was not the confined space, but the jackhammering in my head.  Has no one been bothered by that?  Or did I have some crazy MRI ,where for over an hour, I was surrounded by the sounds of jack hammers.  Thought I would lose my mind!  One of the worst experiences of my life.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, sadiegirl said:

My issue with my MRI was not the confined space, but the jackhammering in my head.  Has no one been bothered by that?  Or did I have some crazy MRI ,where for over an hour, I was surrounded by the sounds of jack hammers.  Thought I would lose my mind!  One of the worst experiences of my life.

You are not the only one who heard jack-hammering (although, I don't think it was in your head, but,rather, in the machine).  They gave me earplugs, but I could still hear the thumping and hammering.  It reminded me of my office mate many years ago - they were building a skyscraper across the street and had to hammer giant pillars/rods/beams (big metal things) into the ground.  There was the constant bang, bang, bang... all day.  One afternoon, my co-worker said to me, "I have a pounding headache.  It pounding so loud, you can probably hear it from your desk."  He had a very dry wit.  

I don't know if it is this way for everyone, but I found the MRI room to be very cold.  They gave me a blanket, but it wasn't enough.  

8 minutes ago, momtoall said:

Peter who? I have never seen GoT, and have no idea who is on it.

If you like sort of quiet, character driven movies -  I recommend "The Station Agent" with PD, Patricia Clarkson, and Bobby Cannavale. 

That story that Cam was listening to when he freaked out - it wasn't clear (at least to me) if the hospital provided it or it was Cam's. If the hospital provided it, man, that's a bad call!

Edited by Nordly Beaumont
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

If you like sort of quiet, character driven movies -  I recommend "The Station Agent" with PD, Patricia Clarkson, and Bobby Cannavale.

I loved that movie, although it's been many years since I saw it.  It's the only reason I know the name Peter Dinklage.  I've never seen GoT, so I got the gist of the Haley and Manny's conversation, but I'm sure a lot was lost on me.

• Love 2

I am not usually claustrophobic so it was quite the surprise for me when I freaked out at my MRI.  It wasn't only the tube - it was more the cage thing they put around my head, locking me down, making it impossible to move at all.  Damn that thing was constricting. They didn't use that here, but I did relate to the Cam story. 

I also loved Phil turning the picture, getting a new perspective and finding a way to keep his dream.  I mainly still watch for Ty.  The rest of the cast can drive me crazy and not in a good way.

ETA:  Ina123 - I had them take me out and told them if they couldn't find me a Xanax / Valium / or whatever we were going to call it a day.   So I hear you.  And I've never seen GoT either (though I did know Dinklage), but that's actually on purpose....

Finally someone else who had that done. I keep trying to get people to understand why I cried all the way thru mine.

Edited by amaranta
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, amaranta said:

I am not usually claustrophobic so it was quite the surprise for me when I freaked out at my MRI.  It wasn't only the tube - it was more the cage thing they put around my head, locking me down, making it impossible to move at all.  Damn that thing was constricting. They didn't use that here, but I did relate to the Cam story. 

Finally someone else who had that done. I keep trying to get people to understand why I cried all the way thru mine. No one else I've talked to had that cage locked around their head. Actually, over top of the cage was a cover where I could not see anything. When they took me out and saw my tears they told me if I ever have to do that again to ask for a sedative. They were very comforting and so sorry. But why didn't anyone tell me you could have a sedative BEFORE I went thru that?

Oh, and I've never seen GOT either. I wouldn't recognize the actor either.

• Love 2

When actual cake was being discussed, why would the employee's take Claire's "Let them eat cake" as a reference? The whole plot was annoying, but this especially bugged me.

• Love 1
On 2/23/2017 at 11:47 PM, CleoCaesar said:

Haley is supposed to be big on social media.  There is no way she wouldn't have at least a glimmering of an idea of who the actors are and a broad idea of the story: There are a bunch of families, many of whom are related to each other (usually in icky ways) who are trying to kill each other to rule a kingdom.  The most popular are Daenyris, the Dragon-Lady and Jon Snow, who died but "got better". (I don't watch GoT either, and I'm not on social media as much as Haley.)

Anyone who hasn't seen Living in Oblivion needs to rectify that right now -- Peter Dinklage and Steve Buscemi.  Dinklage is also the only actor in both versions of Death at a Funeral

41 minutes ago, jhlipton said:

Haley is supposed to be big on social media.  There is no way she wouldn't have at least a glimmering of an idea of who the actors are and a broad idea of the story: There are a bunch of families, many of whom are related to each other (usually in icky ways) who are trying to kill each other to rule a kingdom.  The most popular are Daenyris, the Dragon-Lady and Jon Snow, who died but "got better". (I don't watch GoT either, and I'm not on social media as much as Haley.)

Anyone who hasn't seen Living in Oblivion needs to rectify that right now -- Peter Dinklage and Steve Buscemi.  Dinklage is also the only actor in both versions of Death at a Funeral

I know tons of people who are big on SM and don't know crap about GoT, TWD, Breaking Bad, etc. they simply scroll over, block out, or don't retain the info about things they don't care about. I know that's what I do on shows that get mentioned in my SM that I don't give a flip about. Hell I watch GoT and I can only name two or three actors and mostly because I know them from other things heck right now I can only think of Dinklage, Lena Heady and Maises first name and I routinely forget the characters name and am not even certain that I have a grasp on the broad idea of where the story currently is at so I didn't find it difficult to believe Haley didn't have a clue.

• Love 5

I agree with you, @biakbiak, in that I'm on social media all the time and I don't know much about Game of Thrones.  I don't know any storylines, and I only know a couple character and actor names.  I have zero interest in the show, so whenever I see something about it, I just scroll past.  

• Love 3
On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 11:49 PM, biakbiak said:

I know tons of people who are big on SM and don't know crap about GoT, TWD, Breaking Bad, etc. they simply scroll over, block out, or don't retain the info about things they don't care about.

I'm not particularly big on SM but I do skip over ANY info that I have no or scant interest in the details of the item(s).