Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

Expedition Unknown

Recommended Posts


No.  Josh just announced that he would be doing 5 nights of "Tonight" during Discovery Channel's Shark Week.

  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, AAEBoiler said:

My DVD didn't tape anything last night ...  did I miss an episode?

As stated, not of Josh Gates Tonight.  There won't be an episode next week either.

However, there was a regular episode of ExU instead.  The search for the lost WASP, Gertrude "Tommy" Tompkins.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Frost said:

Nobody's watching Josh Gate's Tonight this week?  It's on too late for me, unfortunately.

I have, it's on five times this week.  A little too much of a good thing, IMO.  I've never been big into shark week anyway.

I liked Josh's parody of the "Indianapolis" scene from Jaws.  William Shatner said he was looking at a project that would send him into space.  If I had Shatner on my ship, I'd be tempted to turn control of the mission over to Captain Kirk, how cool would that be?

At first I thought Rick Chomp's name was Rick Chum.  Hey, either one works.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/12/2020 at 9:13 AM, Frost said:

Nobody's watching Josh Gate's Tonight this week?  It's on too late for me, unfortunately.

I've been DVR'ing it and watching it. The shark week episodes aren't as good as the regular ones. I do like the Rick Chomp puppet though.

Share this post


Link to post

Only stayed up to watch Josh and Shatner. At 89, the man is unbelievable how many projects he has going. Wish I had half his energy. He and Josh seemed to click. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I DVR as well, and I dig Shark Week so these have been pretty cool. I've only watched the first two so far. Rick Chomp is funny and the Shatner interview was awesome. The cocktails are one of my favorite parts (even though I'm not much of a mixed drink fan). So far we've had a Shark Bite and Sex on the Beach, wonder what the rest will be. 🍹

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Josh has been promoting a lot of the Discovery shows lately, he had Jim Belushi on a few weeks ago.  I checked out the show he was promoting, Growing Belushi.  Josh is a great salesman, he made it sound interesting.  

I just wanted to say this is one of those reality shows where it is very obviously very thoroughly scripted to the point of absurdity.  All the drama comes from scripted situations, they might as well be shooting a (bad) sitcom.  By the way, I looked up Belushi's net worth, it said $50 million.  That surprised me, I wouldn't have guessed he was worth that much.

On the other hand, I very much like 100 Days Wild.  I would recommend that one, if you like survival shows.  Seven people try to build an off the grid community in Alaska, and they have 100 days to prepare for winter.  And it has a forum here on Primetimer, so check it out if you're interested.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I really enjoyed the Gods and Monsters Josh Gates Tonight. The guests were all very entertaining, even though Orlando Jones was the only one I had heard of. The guy with the tattoo seemed cool, even though getting celebs tattooed on oneself seems a bit out there, lol. But what the hell, do what makes you happy, i suppose.

The question from the viewer asking about continuing to do the talk show format "after the election when everything goes back to normal " - haha! I loved Josh's response! At least it was cool to hear that they will continue it in some way - he is a natural at playing host.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

The question from the viewer asking about continuing to do the talk show format "after the election when everything goes back to normal " - haha! I loved Josh's response! At least it was cool to hear that they will continue it in some way - he is a natural at playing host.

I find talk shows to be a bit boring, so I'd rather they change the format once/if things open up.  But I would happily watch an hour of Josh interacting with locals in exotic places, shopping for hats and whatnot, and drinking and camping at night.  I guess they could drag a celebrity along if they have to, but I find that aspect less interesting.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, rmontro said:

I find talk shows to be a bit boring, so I'd rather they change the format once/if things open up.  But I would happily watch an hour of Josh interacting with locals in exotic places, shopping for hats and whatnot, and drinking and camping at night.  I guess they could drag a celebrity along if they have to, but I find that aspect less interesting.

I hear you, I haven't watched any celebrity talk shows in years, but Josh is just so darn cute and charming that he pulls it off effortlessly. Combined with his humor and a dash of good-natured sarcasm, it's a win for me no matter who he's talking to.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I was a little disappointed in the "color changing Martini of Mystery".  From the buildup I was expecting something spectacular.  But it just changed from a darker shade of purple to a lighter shade of purple.  Pretty underwhelming.

All right, all right, all right.

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

Is this the show that has the 2 treasure hunter guys who are showing artifacts of the Knights Templar? This looks interesting.

No, that's Lost Relics of the Knights Templar, which airs on the same channel on the same night.

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/12/2020 at 11:47 AM, rmontro said:

I was a little disappointed in the "color changing Martini of Mystery".  From the buildup I was expecting something spectacular.  But it just changed from a darker shade of purple to a lighter shade of purple.  Pretty underwhelming.

All right, all right, all right.

It looked hot pink to me!

I didn't realize that Josh Gates Tonight premiered a few weeks ago. My DVR automatically records Expedition Unknown, but these new shows are just titled Josh Gates Tonight, so they weren't being recorded. Luckily the episodes are onDemand. I've only watched the first episode so far, but I really enjoyed the interview with Matthew McConaughey, and it was cute his son is a fan of the show. I don't watch Expedition X, but I'm looking forward to the episode they teased with Josh, partly because they'll be in my neck of the woods. I've never heard of that creature though. I'm guessing it's a cougar, which are pretty rare here.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I've really just been watching Expedition X lately. The Island of the Dolls episode they had a while back was a highlight for me. I'm not too interested in Josh Gates Tonight or Lost Relics of the Knights Templar.

I wonder when the regular Expedition Unknown episodes are coming back.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Lili said:

I've really just been watching Expedition X lately. The Island of the Dolls episode they had a while back was a highlight for me. I'm not too interested in Josh Gates Tonight or Lost Relics of the Knights Templar.

I'm not sure what to think about Lost Relics of the Knights Templar.  Josh is narrating the episodes, so there's that connection.  They seem to be trying to convince everyone that the relics are real, but I don't know.  If the relics are so incredibly priceless, how is it that this one guy was able to go around and buy them all up?  It just seems like there's some missing info.

I've been watching Josh Gates Tonight, but it's kind of boring to me, unless I find the guest interesting.  I do like the skits they put on every week, I would watch entire shows of that.  Josh as Charlie Brown was the most horrifying thing I've ever seen lol.

Expedition X, I've been watching on and off, depending on the topic, but I can't stand ghost shows.  Multiple seasons of Ghost Hunters ruined that for me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

6 hours ago, rmontro said:

I'm not sure what to think about Lost Relics of the Knights Templar.  Josh is narrating the episodes, so there's that connection.  They seem to be trying to convince everyone that the relics are real, but I don't know.  If the relics are so incredibly priceless, how is it that this one guy was able to go around and buy them all up?  It just seems like there's some missing info.

And that seems to be the actual point of the show; the hunt for the missing information.   They have a starting point (the actual Templars) and the end point (the acquired "hoard"), and they believe there is a connection between the two.  But they need to be able to prove it.  Hence, the delving into historical archives and journeys to actual locations to look for possible links.

In other words, archaeology.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
48 minutes ago, SVNBob said:

And that seems to be the actual point of the show; the hunt for the missing information. 

No, I meant I would like more of an explanation about how this "millionaire" guy was able to buy up all these potentially priceless artifacts, and at least an approximation of what he paid for them.  If they're genuine, they're supposedly priceless, so if he got them at a lower price why were people convinced or suspicious of them being forgeries or unrelated to the Templars?  We're getting an argument that they are genuine, but I feel like we're missing the other side of the story.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I guess someone really did find Forrest Fenn’s treasure in Wyoming! There are photos of the treasure here. It's funny that Fenn accidentally put a pair of regular ole scissors in the chest! I think it still kind of sucks that he won't say where he found it, because he doesn't want the area destroyed, and because it's apparently dangerous. Although I wonder if the real reason is that it's in a state park, like people speculated. Also, I hadn't realized that Fenn passed away in September. A little serendipitous that the treasure was found so close to his passing.

  • Like 5
  • Useful 3

Share this post


Link to post

I really enjoyed that article about Mr Fenn and seeing what the treasure included. How nice that he let him have the turquoise bracelet back. It must have brought a lot of memories to see what he had hidden all those years ago. 
Thank you for posting it @pezgirl7 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Why are there new Expedition X episodes and no new Expedition Unknown episodes?  I enjoy Josh Gates Tonight, but I'm missing the real show!  I assume international travel is still a problem but aren't there any US based things Josh could investigate safely?  I know I'm being selfish, with Covid still rampaging all over the place.  😢  I'll slink away now...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

My DVR wasn't recording the new episodes of Josh Gates Tonight either, and I couldn't seem to find them On Demand, but thankfully my husband did and now I have the recording set and we got caught up on everything, lol.

He's really getting some good guests lately, and his comedy bits are so funny. The Twilight Zone one was hilarious. 

As for Expedition X, I've almost bailed on it so many times, but I guess I'm getting used to the hosts and find their staged antics somewhat amusing. I like that Josh is more involved with the show now too.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Frost, it's ok to want to see new episodes, I miss them too, even if I am being an adult and not complaining. If it makes you feel any better, I discover TWOP and their "commercial" thread on 9/11. I got excited and put up a stupid post. I had watched news all day and knew what was going on, it's just my brain needed a break from the news. I felt terrible for a long time, I'm still rather embarrassed by my post even though I think all traces of TWOP's comment boards have disappeared. It's hard not to want things back the way they used to be. We'll get there, steps have been taken and more are being taken daily.

Edited by friendperidot · Reason: always find the dumb error after I save post.
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I really enjoyed this last episode of Josh Gates Tonight, probably because all the guests were really interesting.  Charles Duke, who walked on the moon, and was in Mission Control for Apollo 11, and was the source of the measles for Apollo 13.  How could you go wrong with that?  And Kier Dullea from 2001:  A Space Odyssey, one of my favorite movies.  And Mayim Bailik was even interesting.

The skit with Gabe as Hal 9000 was well inspired.

Edited by rmontro
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/10/2020 at 12:20 PM, Frost said:

Why are there new Expedition X episodes and no new Expedition Unknown episodes?  I enjoy Josh Gates Tonight, but I'm missing the real show!  I assume international travel is still a problem but aren't there any US based things Josh could investigate safely?  I know I'm being selfish, with Covid still rampaging all over the place.  😢  I'll slink away now...

There has been new Expedition X episodes lately, actually. There was one just earlier this week. It covered the Jersey Devil, and it was a very interesting episode.

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/10/2020 at 11:20 AM, Frost said:

I assume international travel is still a problem but aren't there any US based things Josh could investigate safely?

The major non-"paranormal" stories in the US are pretty much all treasure-hunt based.  There's been no real movement on The Secret (or if there has been, people have been keeping it pretty quiet), nor any other big stories or mysteries except the breaking of the Zodiac Killer's "340 code".

Yes, Fenn's Fortune was found.  But there's no real way for Josh to do a follow-up.  The finder wants to remain as anonymous as possible and is keeping the final location a secret.  Plus Forrest Fenn passed away a couple weeks after seeing the chest again after it was found.

That pretty much only leaves stories and investigations that would fall under the Expedition X umbrella.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

In the most recent "Josh Gates Tonight", I liked Josh's line about the Christmas sweater with the cow on it:  "I don't want to alarm you, but this cow seems to have found all six infinity stones".  They were really Christmas lights.

That new show they were hawking, "Mystery of Blind Fog Ranch" really checked all the boxes.  Buried treasure, aliens, and Bigfoot!  If one doesn't pan out, maybe one of the others will.  Or maybe not.

Judy Greer's recommendation of the movie "Pottersville" makes me want to check it out.  She seems to like it more than the critics though.  Now on Netflix.  

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, rmontro said:

In the most recent "Josh Gates Tonight", I liked Josh's line about the Christmas sweater with the cow on it:  "I don't want to alarm you, but this cow seems to have found all six infinity stones".  They were really Christmas lights.

That new show they were hawking, "Mystery of Blind Fog Ranch" really checked all the boxes.  Buried treasure, aliens, and Bigfoot!  If one doesn't pan out, maybe one of the others will.  Or maybe not.

Judy Greer's recommendation of the movie "Pottersville" makes me want to check it out.  She seems to like it more than the critics though.  Now on Netflix.  

I really liked his Christmas show.  Starting out with the right cocktail and settle in.  Hah i love how he incorporated what he does into everything. Like the cows. He got a good Secret joke in there too. I laughed. Or just how he sees through those eyes. For 24 hours, you can only imagine what you'd see lol. I'm going to ck out the Blind Frog Ranch (BFR) that's going to suck typing that out everytime.  I dub thee BFR.  I'm definitely going to ck it out.  Looks way better then our billionaire bounty hunters and their Templar treasure. They lost me after 1 1/2 ep.  Boring as youknowwhat.  These guys saying how they research something for years and then once in they stay there for years too.  I think its going to be a better show.

Ju-day, Ju-day, Ju-day...She will always be Arrested Development to me.  She's another true gold find.  She seems like a truly nice person inside and out.  And then funny as HELL. Great guest !  Thanks for letting me know its on NFX. Going to ck it out too.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

On 12/13/2020 at 3:11 AM, Lili said:

There has been new Expedition X episodes lately, actually. There was one just earlier this week. It covered the Jersey Devil, and it was a very interesting episode.

I have a feeling these were shot before the time of 'rona.  im sure they still could have traveled but they would be so high risk.  And would anybody talk to them, the deserted streets. Plus the crew all have kids to go home to, they dont want to expose them.  Josh did t want to infect his 2 kids so he self quarantined right.  As for Expedition X(i always want to put exhibition), i really like them now.  But it was a growing process.  Last season they filmed an ep in the little mountain town i was staying at also.  It was pretty interesting watched from afar.  All the stuff that goes into making a show.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, ForumLou said:

I really liked his Christmas show.  Starting out with the right cocktail and settle in.  Hah i love how he incorporated what he does into everything. Like the cows. He got a good Secret joke in there too.

It was one of his better shows.  I think he's growing into this talk show format, he's gotten better at it.  I liked the Scrooge takeoff, A Christmas Carol is one of my favorite stories.  He also had a Raiders of the Lost Ark joke when he was showing the artifacts in his room.  Some of his jokes, if you blink you'll miss them.

Speaking of Judy Greer, she really had the giggles when she was talking to Josh.  I never saw Arrested Development.  I know her mostly from her one episode appearance on Big Bang Theory as the oversexed physics author, and on Jim Carrey's show Kidding (which I really liked).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, rmontro said:

It was one of his better shows.  I think he's growing into this talk show format, he's gotten better at it.  I liked the Scrooge takeoff, A Christmas Carol is one of my favorite stories.  He also had a Raiders of the Lost Ark joke when he was showing the artifacts in his room.  Some of his jokes, if you blink you'll miss them.

Speaking of Judy Greer, she really had the giggles when she was talking to Josh.  I never saw Arrested Development.  I know her mostly from her one episode appearance on Big Bang Theory as the oversexed physics author, and on Jim Carrey's show Kidding (which I really liked).

Wow, do yourself a favor and watch AD, you wont regret it.  The first time i saw it i was like wtf is this craziness!  Instantly hooked.  Just wild from beginning to end.  Im thru the first 3 seasons, then a couple yrs later theres a movie and i think 2 more seasons.  I have to catch up on those

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Looks like they might have found the Amber room.      ---------------------

Dive at Sunken Nazi Ship Reveals Chests Which Could Contain Treasure:

Hopes that a sunken Nazi steamer ship off the coast of Poland could contain the legendary lost Amber Room were somewhat bolstered when a dive at the site revealed intriguing chests which just might contain treasures that were pilfered by the Third Reich. The discovery of the downed vessel, dubbed Karlsruhe, earlier this year constituted a new chapter in the decades-long search for the ornate gold and amber paneling which was infamously stolen from a Russian palace by the Nazis during World War II and subsequently vanished as the conflict came to an end

  • Like 1
  • Useful 5

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, ForumLou said:

Wow, do yourself a favor and watch AD, you wont regret it. 

I see that's on Netflix also.  I really watch too much TV as it is, but I may give it a try.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, ForumLou said:

Wow, do yourself a favor and watch AD, you wont regret it.  The first time i saw it i was like wtf is this craziness!  Instantly hooked.  Just wild from beginning to end.  Im thru the first 3 seasons, then a couple yrs later theres a movie and i think 2 more seasons.  I have to catch up on those

AD?

Share this post


Link to post

So, I saw Pottersville, and it was well, kind of dumb.  Sorry Judy.

She was good in it though, and the ending was nice, derivative as it was.

Share this post


Link to post

Are long rags looped around the necks of chubby archeologists supposed to make them look thinner?

  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

New episode of Expedition X last night; the first of a two-parter on the Beast of Bray Road, a Wisconsin "werewolf".  Josh even got out in the field for this story.  Given it was a two-parter, there's no "conclusion" yet, but a VO promised there would be one in part 2 next week.

Spoiler

I'm pretty sure the Beast is just a black bear.  All the evidence found seems to point that way.

 

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, SVNBob said:

New episode of Expedition X last night; the first of a two-parter on the Beast of Bray Road, a Wisconsin "werewolf".  Josh even got out in the field for this story.  Given it was a two-parter, there's no "conclusion" yet, but a VO promised there would be one in part 2 next week.

  Hide contents

I'm pretty sure the Beast is just a black bear.  All the evidence found seems to point that way.

 

I was just going to post that if people are missing the show, they could watch the season premiere of Expedition X, since Josh guest starred. On Josh Gates Tonight, he said new episodes of Expedition Unknown will air this Summer!

About the WI werewolf, my bet is that it's a...

Spoiler

cougar. I only saw 4 pads on the print. If it's a black bear, that's pretty scary that there would be one so far south. Although a cougar is pretty scary too!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I hate to admit, but I'm starting to enjoy Expedition X.  This was one of those shows that I was just going to watch the first one, and see how it goes.  But somehow I'm still watching it.  

I like how Jessica believes in all the cockamamie stuff, no matter how ridiculous.  While Phil tries to stay more grounded.  And Josh plays Professor X, sending them out on their missions. 

This last one, nothing interesting happened.  But who can resist a good Bigfoot story?  I had never heard that story about Ape Canyon and the miners fending off attacking primates.  I thought that if they were really on the site of the incident they should have found more evidence of a cabin being there though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

On 11/30/2020 at 4:35 PM, rmontro said:

I've been watching Josh Gates Tonight, but it's kind of boring to me, unless I find the guest interesting. 

I find Josh Gates annoying in everything he does, which is mostly self-promotion.  I only watch if the guest or expedition destination interests me and FFwd through Josh.

  • Surprise 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post

Please, can they stop doing the stupid whooping calls  and constant "did you hear something"? Honestly, why don't these "experts" place  a couple of hundred game cameras all over the place and sit back somewhere and  see if something is picked up after a couple of days? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

New episodes of Expedition Unknown last night, they were in kind of an odd format for this show.  Looks like there are four parts to this, with two parts airing last night and two next week.  Basically they are locating all the DeLorean cars used in the Back to the Future movies, with some fluff in between.  

They appear to be following some sort of script, with Christopher Lloyd and Josh searching for a car to auction off for Michael J. Fox's foundation.  I enjoyed the Back to the Future movies, they have a sort of universal appeal, but I'm not obsessive about them like some.  I guess I'm enjoying this more than Josh Gates Tonight, which can be boring at times, depending on who the guest is.

On 5/20/2021 at 11:06 PM, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

Please, can they stop doing the stupid whooping calls  and constant "did you hear something"? Honestly, why don't these "experts" place  a couple of hundred game cameras all over the place and sit back somewhere and  see if something is picked up after a couple of days? 

How would they make a TV show  out of that though?  If nobody yells or gets startled by some invisible thing off camera, how are they going to know when to go to a commercial? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, rmontro said:

New episodes of Expedition Unknown last night, they were in kind of an odd format for this show.  Looks like there are four parts to this, with two parts airing last night and two next week.  Basically they are locating all the DeLorean cars used in the Back to the Future movies, with some fluff in between.

The show Expedition: Back to the Future actually first aired on Discovery Plus a few months ago. I'm guessing they wanted some new shows for when the streaming platform launched. I'm a big fan of Back to the Future, but not as big as the fans they showed during the show. lol I'm sure Josh was geeking out the entire time!

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

He was __ geeking out, but I had to agree, it was pretty cool to see Doc  around all of the original show De Loreans and the back stories. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size