Type keyword(s) to search

Expedition Unknown - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Tammee said:

Ditto!  Loved the Scrolls eps.  I usually dont care for the nazi eps but do have so many favs i could recommend... love the space eps, yeti eps, historical biblical eps, the afterlife, hes been everywhere i think.  I also like Expedition X

Thanks...my interests are the historical ones,  Biblical ones, or historical stories that morphed into legends, like Robin Hood and King Arthur. I found those two to be disappointing, though. The characters who are obsessed with those figures are interesting, and certainly I loved seeing the rural parts of England. However, the euphoria when using sonar equipment, wriggling through caves and so on kept ending up in nothing. The Dead Sea Scrolls episode was fun and also had actual artifacts found. 

I see from this forum that Josh had a show on The Travel Channel, which I've never watched. The reruns I'm seeing now are on Discovery, and while I have no interest in whatever ghost things he did, I'm sure I'll find other episodes that fascinate me. 

Josh is a very gregarious and quick-witted host, so that makes it enjoyable. 

• Love 2
22 hours ago, Arkay said:

I was having trouble getting into it because the few shows I've seen have been very underwhelming.

For me, the appeal of this show is the journey, not the destination. I love learning about the new places they visit, and the local customs and beliefs, and seeing Josh deal with the locals. I love Josh's sense of humor and his excitement during the search is infectious. Rarely do they actually find anything of significance. The two shows about The Secret remain my favorite.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Arkay said:

Thanks...my interests are the historical ones,  Biblical ones, or historical stories that morphed into legends, like Robin Hood and King Arthur. I found those two to be disappointing, though. The characters who are obsessed with those figures are interesting, and certainly I loved seeing the rural parts of England. However, the euphoria when using sonar equipment, wriggling through caves and so on kept ending up in nothing. The Dead Sea Scrolls episode was fun and also had actual artifacts found. 

I see from this forum that Josh had a show on The Travel Channel, which I've never watched. The reruns I'm seeing now are on Discovery, and while I have no interest in whatever ghost things he did, I'm sure I'll find other episodes that fascinate me. 

Josh is a very gregarious and quick-witted host, so that makes it enjoyable. 

Oh he loves it when you can keep up with him haha. Ok well i could tell you or ---.  ok twist my arm. 😁He started with Destination Truth.  That ran for several good seasons.  Then was gone for a bit and returned for a few seasons as EU on travel channel.  Gone, back now on Discovery and hes found his niche i think.  Its like hes found it.  Several great seasons.  Has some side jobs, sometimes with other paranormal groups.  I think getting married and having a couple kids have slowed him down just a bit! Not much! Hes just a little less reckless? If thats the right word.  Bravado. Yada yada.  

I like the historical eps as well. The Viking one was good, i did like KA, there was one about Excalibur i think last season.  Oh oh the Secret! That one was really enjoyable if you like puzzles.  Its the mega of all puzzles.

And did you see in fhe news Finn's gold was just found last week?!  Its been verified as true by Finn himself.  He seemed kind of sad that it was over.  But no one else died thankfully. The finder hasnt come forward and hasnt said yet how they did it.

Ok now..see what you started hahahah.  Oh yea has another side hustle currently airing repeats called Legendary Locations. On Travel ch. 

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Tammee said:

I also like Expedition X

Not gonna lie, I forgot Expedition X existed. 

20 hours ago, Arkay said:

Destination Truth was almost all paranormal subject matter, so if you're more into historical things, I'm not sure I could recommend it.  I used to watch it, partly because Josh is such an entertaining host.  But Expedition Unknown is waaay better IMO.

• Love 5
(edited)
5 hours ago, rmontro said:

Destination Truth was almost all paranormal subject matter, so if you're more into historical things, I'm not sure I could recommend it.  I used to watch it, partly because Josh is such an entertaining host.  But Expedition Unknown is waaay better IMO.

Thank you...yes, I have zero interest in the paranormal stuff but do love the historical. Part Two of the Dead Sea Scrolls was also so interesting to me. For that alone, I'm grateful to have found this show during this very traumatic time of the pandemic. 

After I watched the second part of the Dead Sea Scrolls, which focused on the Copper Scroll, I started googling it...I wasn't very familiar with the Copper Scroll at all. That led me to a fictional book called "The Copper Scroll," by Joel C. Rosenberg, apparently a very successful author with whom I was also unfamiliar. Once the libraries here open up again (I'm a lifelong NYC girl, we have no idea when things will be safe), I intend to read that and his other books. So that's a side benefit to me as a newbie to this show and forum. 

ETA: @Tammee..thanks also...I did see the news about Fenn's treasure. Having not read this whole forum, I don't know what's been discussed about that. I'm not a believer! My personal opinion has always been that, since he is a self-admitted art forger, this was all a publicity stunt. I think he just wanted to sell his books and to glory in his fame. I'd love to be proven wrong, though. The thought that people sacrificed their lives, their time, their money and their relationships for a hoax is appalling. I do understand that many people feel they gained an appreciation for nature and enjoyed the adventure, so that's good. I also understand that if someone ACTUALLY found the treasure chest, he or she would wish to remain anonymous. However, if no location or picture are released, I will maintain that it was all a scam. The only picture released has been the stock photo of the chest from earlier. I don't believe the chest ever existed...I believe it's not even legal to keep ownership of pre-Colombian and ancient Asian artifacts. Will be thrilled if I'm wrong!

Edited by Arkay
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
23 minutes ago, Arkay said:

Thank you...yes, I have zero interest in the paranormal stuff but do love the historical.

Josh doesn't always find things, but I still think the show is interesting.   Because you can learn things about the different historical subjects along the way, whether they find something new or not.

"The Secret" episodes are interesting, as others have said, even though they are not technically historical.  Still worth a watch.  I think there are three of them.

• Love 7
(edited)
2 hours ago, rmontro said:

I think there are three of them.

There are.   They re-aired the 3rd one after the Oprah/OWN special that was on in place of "Josh Gates Tonight" last week.

And speaking of episodes based on real people, there's several scheduled for this coming Wednesday.  Repeats of the searches for Attila the Hun's tomb and Amelia Earhart, and the now-topical repeat episode about Finn's fortune, then new ExU: Uncovered episodes about Jesse James and Butch Cassidy.

Edited by SVNBob
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, SVNBob said:

There are.   They re-aired the 3rd one after the Oprah/OWN special that was on in place of "Josh Gates Tonight" last week.

And speaking of episodes based on real people, there's several scheduled for this coming Wednesday.  Repeats of the searches for Attila the Hun's tomb and Amelia Earhart, and the now-topical repeat episode about Finn's fortune, then new ExU: Uncovered episodes about Jesse James and Butch Cassidy.

Thanks. I set those all to tape. I don't have any streaming services, and I'm upset that I apparently missed the series on The Secret. Sounds like I would have enjoyed that. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Arkay said:

Thanks. I set those all to tape. I don't have any streaming services, and I'm upset that I apparently missed the series on The Secret. Sounds like I would have enjoyed that. 

I'm assuming you have a cable subscription that includes The Discovery Channel. If that's the case, you should be able to watch additional episodes using the Discovery Go app on your phone or computer, or directly from the website. Season 7 is currently available without having to sign in to your cable provider.

https://go.discovery.com/tv-shows/expedition-unknown/

• Love 2
2 hours ago, pezgirl7 said:

I'm assuming you have a cable subscription that includes The Discovery Channel. If that's the case, you should be able to watch additional episodes using the Discovery Go app on your phone or computer, or directly from the website. Season 7 is currently available without having to sign in to your cable provider.

https://go.discovery.com/tv-shows/expedition-unknown/

Thank you...yes, I will download the app. My nephew-in-law works for Discovery and yet I don't think I've ever watched this channel until now. 

• Love 1
On 6/14/2020 at 4:00 PM, rmontro said:

EU is def better.  Bigger budget hehe.  But DT is the parent to EU.  DT begat EU.  Hah.  Aaaaaanyway...DT was a lot of crypto stuff too.  Excursions up Everest etc, yetis, the asian versions of yetis, all kinds of monster things.  Lots of EVP stuff.

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, Tammee said:

EU is def better.  Bigger budget hehe.  But DT is the parent to EU.  DT begat EU.  Hah.  Aaaaaanyway...DT was a lot of crypto stuff too.  Excursions up Everest etc, yetis, the asian versions of yetis, all kinds of monster things.  Lots of EVP stuff.

I've mentioned this before, but nothing bores me more than watching people recording EVPs, sitting in the dark talking to no one.  "Give me a sign of your presence.  Can you turn this flashlight on?".

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

The Wild West Josh Gates Tonight was very entertaining. I loved Lou Diamond Phillips as Henry Standing Bear on Longmire, so that was a treat. I got a kick out of the whiskey bit, and Josh putting his cowboy hat on Gabe, lol.

I notice that he's getting a bit lax with the social distancing though, hmmm...!

• Love 2
On 6/23/2020 at 2:25 AM, Gothish520 said:

The Wild West Josh Gates Tonight was very entertaining.

Apparently my DVR didn't record this episode, so I watched it on DiscoveryGo. Josh was definitely lax with the social distancing! One of my fav segments was him guessing the jerky flavors. Although he kinda stopped guessing for some of them. lol I was surprised at the shark jerky. I thought eating shark was not PC.

During one of the commercial breaks, they briefly mentioned Fenn's treasure. Josh basically said, until the finder comes forward, or until they release a photo, stay tuned. I got the impression he was skeptical.

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, pezgirl7 said:

Apparently my DVR didn't record this episode, so I watched it on DiscoveryGo. Josh was definitely lax with the social distancing! One of my fav segments was him guessing the jerky flavors. Although he kinda stopped guessing for some of them. lol I was surprised at the shark jerky. I thought eating shark was not PC.

During one of the commercial breaks, they briefly mentioned Fenn's treasure. Josh basically said, until the finder comes forward, or until they release a photo, stay tuned. I got the impression he was skeptical.

My DVR didn't catch it either, so I recorded it later in the week. I just reset my recording so hopefully it works tonight.

The jerky segment was great, and hope Josh gets a little more cautious again as numbers are spiking in California!

• Love 2
57 minutes ago, Gothish520 said:

My DVR didn't catch it either, so I recorded it later in the week. I just reset my recording so hopefully it works tonight.

I'm pretty sure this did not air in my area, so I didn't see it.  It's supposed to be on Friday, so I'm recording it then.

• Love 1

Just watched the "Josh Gates Tonight:  Mother Russia" episode.  I wasn't that interested in the tour of the distillery, but there was a brief scene where Josh's comedic senses were on fire:   First he pointed to a machine and said "This makes Flubber", then indicated another and said it was from the Wonka factory.  Then, looking at a digital display on the wall, said "You mean you turned a distillery into a time machine?", complete with terrible and yet somehow endearing Michael J. Fox impersonation.  This is the stuff that keeps me coming back.

• Love 4

I thought this was his best talk show yet.  He had really good guests and even though he was asking them about their 'biggest hits' he still managed to keep it fresh and interesting.  He really does have a knack for this - even through a video chat format.   Of course, a professional talk show host would have a much wider variety of guests.  Would he be able to engage with someone if he's never seen one of their movies or watched their TV show?   As for comedy, I absolutely loved his bit about the pickled foods.  His "No. No. No." at the pickled herring was priceless.

I thought they were too willing to drop the military cover-up theory for the Dyatlov Pass incident after the letter was found that referenced the disaster on February 6th, just 4 days after their deaths.  The hiking party wouldn't even have been overdue for a check-in until February 12th.  Officially, there wasn't an outcry until February 20th.  So how did a government official know about it on February 6th?

• Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, Frost said:

I thought this was his best talk show yet.  He had really good guests and even though he was asking them about their 'biggest hits' he still managed to keep it fresh and interesting.  He really does have a knack for this - even through a video chat format.   Of course, a professional talk show host would have a much wider variety of guests.  Would he be able to engage with someone if he's never seen one of their movies or watched their TV show?   As for comedy, I absolutely loved his bit about the pickled foods.  His "No. No. No." at the pickled herring was priceless.

Yes this was a very good episode. He's getting some great guests. I always think of the scumbag Wes that Scott Glenn played in Urban Cowboy whenever I see him, lol. He was a fun interview.

Edited by Gothish520
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Frost said:

I thought they were too willing to drop the military cover-up theory for the Dyatlov Pass incident after the letter was found that referenced the disaster on February 6th, just 4 days after their deaths.  The hiking party wouldn't even have been overdue for a check-in until February 12th.  Officially, there wasn't an outcry until February 20th.  So how did a government official know about it on February 6th?

Possibly because the military was involved in the incident in the first place?  Somewhere previously in this thread I said I leaned toward the parachute bomb theory.

• Love 2

Finally got to see the Josh Gates Tonight:  Wild West Episode.  Highlights for me were Josh learning to rope, and the jerky test.  I'm not as interested in the talk show guest format as much as some here.  Marty Raney was acting like a nut.  I've seen a few episodes of Homestead Rescue and I don't remember him putting on that crazy personality.

• Love 1

I'm curious about the explanation that the location of Fenn's treasure is not being released because it might put the ownership of the treasure into question.  So, finders are not always keepers!  Wouldn't Fenn have thought about that at all before hand?  If he hid the chest in Yellowstone National Park, the finder was actually supposed to turn it in to a park ranger?  I can see the finder wanting to keep their anonymity but it would be nice if they would agree to have an interview with Josh where they sit behind a screen or something.  

How are the finders of The Secret boxes handling the same issue?  Aren't they able to keep their gems?

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Frost said:

I'm curious about the explanation that the location of Fenn's treasure is not being released because it might put the ownership of the treasure into question.  So, finders are not always keepers!  Wouldn't Fenn have thought about that at all before hand?

Maybe not.  There's also the possibility ownership of the land has changed hands since he buried the treasure.  They said there would be an announcement on August 4th.  I'm going to put my guess here that Fenn has buried another box and will release another book.  

I think searchers for The Secret boxes had to get permission to dig for them in some cases because a lot of them were buried on public land.  I'm surprised no one has contested ownership of the gems, but I'm not sure what the real value is in those cases.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, rmontro said:

They said there would be an announcement on August 4th. 

The fact that the message saying this was posted to the Fenn treasure blog on the very day that the site runner was scheduled to do an interview with Josh does very little to weaken the theory that Josh himself is the one that found Fenn's treasure.  It's too "coincidental"....

6 hours ago, SVNBob said:

The fact that the message saying this was posted to the Fenn treasure blog on the very day that the site runner was scheduled to do an interview with Josh does very little to weaken the theory that Josh himself is the one that found Fenn's treasure.  It's too "coincidental"....

I thought Fenn did not know the person who found the box? Fenn does know Josh because of the interview.

8 hours ago, SVNBob said:

the theory that Josh himself is the one that found Fenn's treasure

Josh might have taken acting in college and be very comfortable on camera, but I don't believe his acting skills are up to hiding something like this during his interview with the guy-who's-name-I-can't-remember.   Josh seems like a burbling over with enthusiasm kind of guy and he deserves an Emmy if he managed that interview without some glimmer of smugness coming through that he had been the one to find the treasure box.

I would love for him to find one of The Secret keys!

• Love 5

I think production was shut down and Josh was self isolating at home when the box was found. Because they never said who posted the message, it could just be a troll, or the message could be something super lame. I still think it's odd that Fenn won't say where the treasure was found. Even if it was found on someone else's land, if he doesn't disclose the finder, then I don't really see an issue. Also, it is interesting, as someone else said, that all The Secret boxes were found in parks, but the finders were all able to keep them. Not sure what the rules are there.

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, pezgirl7 said:

Also, it is interesting, as someone else said, that all The Secret boxes were found in parks, but the finders were all able to keep them. Not sure what the rules are there.

I don't think they were found in parks, as in national parks, but were on city property.  So if the Fenn box was found in Yellowstone Park, that's federal as opposed to city.  Could make a big difference.  They said Byron Preiss sometimes disguised himself as a maintenance worker so he wouldn't arouse suspicion when burying the boxes.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, rmontro said:

I don't think they were found in parks, as in national parks, but were on city property.  So if the Fenn box was found in Yellowstone Park, that's federal as opposed to city.  Could make a big difference.  They said Byron Preiss sometimes disguised himself as a maintenance worker so he wouldn't arouse suspicion when burying the boxes.

I think they were all found in city parks, which is what I meant. But I agree a national park would be different. But if Fenn doesn't release the name of the person who found it, not sure there's much the government could do. They wouldn't even be able to prove that the whole thing even happened.

• Love 2
On 7/10/2020 at 8:43 PM, pezgirl7 said:

I think they were all found in city parks, which is what I meant. But I agree a national park would be different. But if Fenn doesn't release the name of the person who found it, not sure there's much the government could do. They wouldn't even be able to prove that the whole thing even happened.

Yeah its like the lottery.  Each state has their own rule as to whether a name is disclosed.  Each state is  different.  Did anyone see the ep on Weds?  Was it new or just a rerun?  Did they talk about the find?  I can catch it onDemand but if it was the same ep, nah seen it 5xs lol

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Tammee said:

Did anyone see the ep on Weds?  Was it new or just a rerun?  Did they talk about the find?  I can catch it onDemand but if it was the same ep, nah seen it 5xs lol

As I recall, the very beginning and very end have tacked-on "discussion" (not much is revealed because not much is known) about the find. Otherwise, in between those parts is the same episode.

On 7/12/2020 at 9:31 AM, tljgator said:

As I recall, the very beginning and very end have tacked-on "discussion" (not much is revealed because not much is known) about the find. Otherwise, in between those parts is the same episode.

Gotcha.  Mucho gracias

I have to admit, the ending of the most recent episode of Josh Gates Tonight irritated me.  It was the show with the sci fi and space guests.  At the end, Josh answers some viewer questions and someone asked of all the potential discoveries, which one did he think would really be found?  He also said he had written in 56 times trying to get a question on the show, and that maybe 57 would prove to be the charm.

Josh makes a joke out of it and says "I see we're out of time, maybe 58 will be the charm".  And never answers the question.  Which irritated me, because I thought it was an interesting question, and I wanted to see how he would answer it.  It's was a rare occasion when Josh let me down.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, rmontro said:

At the end, Josh answers some viewer questions and someone asked of all the potential discoveries, which one did he think would really be found?  He also said he had written in 56 times trying to get a question on the show, and that maybe 57 would prove to be the charm.

Josh makes a joke out of it and says "I see we're out of time, maybe 58 will be the charm".  And never answers the question.  Which irritated me, because I thought it was an interesting question, and I wanted to see how he would answer it.  It's was a rare occasion when Josh let me down.

First off, I saw that joke coming from a mile away.

Second, I doubt that was a "real" question.  The others might be, but since that one was an obvious joke set-up, it probably wasn't.  (Now, if there's evidence of there being an actual tweet or tweet history of that question, then I'm obviously wrong.)

Third, we have been talking about Fenn's fortune a lot recently.  That was probably the actual answer to that question until last month.

Fourth, the next episode is Secret-centric.  Another likely answer.

• Love 1

I actually teared up during the Anthony Daniels interview and was totally geeking out along with Josh. I'm glad so many of the interviewees tell Josh what a good job he does at interviewing.

Even if the tweet was real, I'm sure the guy was thrilled to have his name read aloud by Josh.

• Love 5

Gabe's sunglasses! ❤ 😎

Another great, er, totally awesome show! My father is 3rd degree black belt in Tang Soo Do, so that was cool to see. Fun fact: Chuck Norris is a Tang Soo Do 9th degree black belt.

I like how Josh mentioned he and the instructor had negative Covid tests.

• Love 2

I really wanted Josh to ask John Palencar whether he believes any of the casques have been destroyed.  It's amazing the one in Boston was actually recovered in time.  From watching the San Francisco episode, it looked to me like the most likely location for the casque had been dug up for a pipeline.  After 40 years, it would be amazing if they were all still recoverable.

• Love 3

I liked Josh's rolodex of 80s characters' business cards.  I know one said "Tony Montana - say hello to my little card".

Lea Thompson is still surprisingly cute.  I still think Howard the Duck was half of a good movie.  The first half was good, which was about Howard trying to deal with the real world - he just happened to be a duck.  The second half fell apart quickly, with its generic villain plot.  It was nice to see the character get a second chance of sorts in the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, rmontro said:

Lea Thompson is still surprisingly cute.  I still think Howard the Duck was half of a good movie. 

Lea was the best part of Howard the Duck.  And she was possibly at (a) peak sexiness in it too.  But now I'm not sure it it's because of or despite having to play opposite an anthropomorphic duck.  Some Kind of Wonderful is a gender-flipped original-script Pretty in Pink, with Lea in the Blaine role, so it's also good flick.

I learned during this episode that my mother hadn't even heard of, let alone seen The Goonies.  It's a good thing I found out it'll be on AMC in a couple weeks.

The Secret community on reddit isn't going as crazy as I expected about that one painting Palencar brought up.  But the Facebook group (which Palencar is a member of) has started incorporating that painting into potential solves and other deep-dive analysis.

• Love 1

Lea was the best part of Howard the Duck.  And she was possibly at (a) peak sexiness in it too.  But now I'm not sure it it's because of or despite having to play opposite an anthropomorphic duck.  Some Kind of Wonderful is a gender-flipped original-script Pretty in Pink, with Lea in the Blaine role, so it's also good flick.

I learned during this episode that my mother hadn't even heard of, let alone seen The Goonies.  It's a good thing I found out it'll be on AMC in a couple weeks.

The Secret community on reddit isn't going as crazy as I expected about that one painting Palencar brought up.  But the Facebook group (which Palencar is a member of) has started incorporating that painting into potential solves and other deep-dive analysis.

My husband was shocked to hear that I had never seen The Goonies, even though I've told him many times, lol. It's like it finally registered as we were watching this episode, and of course he is now insisting that we watch it, which is fine with me.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

My husband was shocked to hear that I had never seen The Goonies, even though I've told him many times, lol. It's like it finally registered as we were watching this episode, and of course he is now insisting that we watch it, which is fine with me.

Tuesday August 4th on AMC at 8pm EDT, and again the following day at 5:30pm EDT.

• Love 2
On 7/24/2020 at 2:45 PM, Gothish520 said:

My husband was shocked to hear that I had never seen The Goonies

I've seen The Goonies a couple of times, I've never been able to see the appeal of it.

18 hours ago, rmontro said:

I've seen The Goonies a couple of times, I've never been able to see the appeal of it.

My husband said it's definitely on the corny side, but it's one of those movies that sticks with you if you see at a certain age in your life.

18 hours ago, SVNBob said:

I think you can understand why it would appeal to Josh.

Josh likes everything  🙂

5 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

My husband said it's definitely on the corny side, but it's one of those movies that sticks with you if you see at a certain age in your life.

Maybe I wasn't young enough when I first saw it.

• Love 2

I think it helps to be a child of the 80s. I loved Goonies, and still do. I even watched it at one of my birthday parties as a child, although I don't remember which one. Like most 80s movies, it's cheesy, but it's also heartfelt, has humor, adventure, good acting by child actors,  great set design and a Cyndi Lauper song. 🙂

• Love 5
3 hours ago, pezgirl7 said:

I loved Goonies, and still do. I even watched it at one of my birthday parties as a child, although I don't remember which one. 🙂

I don't think I've ever met anyone who doesn't like it.  Aside from myself, anyway.  I guess you can't please all of the people all of the time.

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, rmontro said:

I don't think I've ever met anyone who doesn't like it.  Aside from myself, anyway.  I guess you can't please all of the people all of the time.

If we watch it I will report back, lol!

(edited)

It gave a friend of mine a migraine.  It is a very loud movie! 😄  I'm not sure how I would react watching it for the first time as an adult.  The plot and sets are utterly ridiculous and the characters are rather cringe-worthy from a modern day POV but somehow it manages to have a lot of heart in spite of all that.

Edited by Frost

I got caught up on the 80's tribute show last night, and I will confess that I adore Josh Gates, and his run as talk show host has been endlessly enjoyable for me. It takes A LOT to get me to laugh these days, but these have been so much fun, and he's such a good interviewer, and very natural, engaging and well prepared. And his take on Ferris Bueller was spot on. I sort of hope that even once all this shit is over - if it's ever over - that they let him do more of these. 

• Love 4