Type keyword(s) to search

Expedition Unknown - General Discussion

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, rmontro said:

The theory Teddy (the Russian woman) had about the military murdering the hikers didn't explain why the tents were cut open from the inside.  I guess she figured the soldiers did it.  But again, there were no other footprints supposedly.

I thought it was interesting when they explained about the stove not being lit, that they had not lit the stove the night before either.  It's hard to believe they could stay warm in those temperatures without it, but I guess when you're out in the cold that much, you get used to it after awhile.  

Yeah, I didn't buy her theory either.

Not using the stove and with the clothing they wore and I believe Josh said they had leather boots sounded crazy to me even if you are used to that kind of weather, how warm can those tents be that you take off your socks and clothes? Or maybe they took them off to dry because they were wet? Then we have Josh and his crew bundled up, using hand/feet warmers and he said he was still cold. Heck, my house in winter without using my heater doesn't drop below 54 degrees and I'm bundled up with heavy socks, blankets, my robe and I'm still chilly, lol. It reminds me of this documentary I watched on the first men to reach the summit of Mt Everest. In the footage some of the men have tank tops on. Different times, I guess.

I hope Josh does an update on this after the government investigation.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

how warm can those tents be that you take off your socks and clothes? Or maybe they took them off to dry because they were wet?

That's what I think.  It can be warmer to take your socks off than to keep wet footwear on.

I saw online the Russian investigation began in February.  I don't expect much out of it, but we'll see.  Josh said that one possibility with the broken bones was that the weight of the snow broke them after they died.  I'm pretty sure that with modern forensics, they can determine if a bone is broken when the victim was alive or dead.  I guess they didn't have that capability back then. I'm no expert, so I don't know if they could tell now or not if they exhumed the bodies.  They may not even be inclined to do such a thing.  They may not even be interested in finding the truth, who knows?

• Love 1

I think they explained away a lot of the mysteries pretty well. For me, the biggest mystery is why the tent was cut from the inside. The only reason I can think is that the entry was blocked, and you need an alternative way to get out. This would go with the avalanche theory. But why did one of the hikers have a camera around his neck? He had enough time to grab his camera but not his clothes? Unless it was already around his neck when whatever happened made them flee the tent...

I do hope the new investigation can come up with some answers. This is one of those mysteries that you can't stop thinking about.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, pezgirl7 said:

I think they explained away a lot of the mysteries pretty well. For me, the biggest mystery is why the tent was cut from the inside. The only reason I can think is that the entry was blocked, and you need an alternative way to get out. This would go with the avalanche theory.

That is a good question, why cut the tent from the inside?  Why not just go out the entrance?  And why damage your tent in that kind of weather, when you need it for survival?

The entrance wasn't blocked when the investigators arrived.  There was some snow on it, but nothing that would make it impossible to leave.  I suppose if there was an avalanche, the blockage could have been temporary somehow, maybe the snow slid past later.  Doesn't explain the lights though.  Maybe there were explosions and that set off an avalanche lol.

I did take it that the guy with the camera already had it around his neck when they left the tent.  I'd like to know how much time passed between when he took the pictures of the lights and when they had to leave the tent.  I don't suppose we'll ever really know for sure what happened.

• Love 1
On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 6:16 PM, rmontro said:

I don't suppose we'll ever really know for sure what happened.

I agree, I don't think we will. I did just watch a show on Discovery called "Russian Yeti, the killer lives" it was filmed 5 years ago I think. It was interesting and they found the same document Josh did that was dated before the bodies were found. The host isn't as engaging as Josh, but if you ask me no one is ;-)

One thing I did hate about the Russian Yeti show is the background music. Your trying to listen to what they're hearing and all you hear is loud music, grrrrrrr! Anyways, since it was about the Dyatlov Pass I thought some of you might want to check it out. 

• Love 2

One thing I did hate about the Russian Yeti show is the background music. Your trying to listen to what they're hearing and all you hear is loud music, grrrrrrr! Anyways, since it was about the Dyatlov Pass I thought some of you might want to check it out. 

Thanks, I will check it out.  It's on the SCI channel Sunday night, 9-22-19.  They're running it several times that night so it shouldn't be hard to catch.

• Love 1

I watched "Code of the Wild", which is an oddly named treasure hunting show on the Travel Channel, the other night.  They also had a show on Jose Gaspar, which I thought was funny since Expedition Unknown had just aired a show on the same subject.  

"Code" didn't spend so much time talking about Gaspar maybe being fictional, but instead tried following the footsteps of Juan Gomez, Gaspar's first mate.  They did some digging in a swamp and also on Panther Key.  Just like Josh, they found a musket ball.  Almost makes you think both shows have the same writers, since they both ended the same way.

On 9/14/2019 at 5:31 PM, foxfreakinmulder said:

I did just watch a show on Discovery called "Russian Yeti, the killer lives" it was filmed 5 years ago I think. It was interesting and they found the same document Josh did that was dated before the bodies were found.

Watched this tonight, there were a couple of things I found interesting.

They talked about a military boot cover being found near the bodies, which along with the document with the early date, would seem to suggest that the military found the bodies originally.

The Mansi people were not presented as being so friendly as they were on Expedition Unknown (which led Josh to eliminate them as suspects).  In fact, the whole village hid and only one person would talk to them.  They also talked about a Mansi shaman who had killed an outsider for trespassing in the 30s.  

There were horizontal slits cut near the top of the tent, which appeared to be viewing holes so that they could see outside the tent.  It appears they were watching something outside that was of interest to them.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, rmontro said:

They talked about a military boot cover being found near the bodies, which along with the document with the early date, would seem to suggest that the military found the bodies originally.

The Mansi people were not presented as being so friendly as they were on Expedition Unknown (which led Josh to eliminate them as suspects).  In fact, the whole village hid and only one person would talk to them.  They also talked about a Mansi shaman who had killed an outsider for trespassing in the 30s.  

There were horizontal slits cut near the top of the tent, which appeared to be viewing holes so that they could see outside the tent.  It appears they were watching something outside that was of interest to them.

Yeah, if the military was there first they had to cover their snow tracks and it looks more and more like they were. I don't see any other reason from 1 military boot cover to be there.

That was interesting about the Mansi Shaman that killed an outsider but I don't think they could do anything that would scare them out of the tent without clothes/shoes.

I had read years ago about the slits in the top of the tent. I hadn't read/heard they were all pointing towards the forest until this show.

I didn't like how they focused so much on that one picture and pretty much declared it a snow beast or whatever they called it. I think this guy landed on that being the cause of whatever happened to the hikers. I could barely hear the sounds from the forest because the background music was so loud but I wished he had taken the recording somewhere to have it analyzed so we know if an animal in that area makes those sounds.

It was an interesting show and I wonder why one of the hikers wrote down "the snow beast or man or creature, whatever they called it, lives" I guess we'll never know.

• Love 1

I didn't like how they focused so much on that one picture and pretty much declared it a snow beast or whatever they called it. I think this guy landed on that being the cause of whatever happened to the hikers. I could barely hear the sounds from the forest because the background music was so loud but I wished he had taken the recording somewhere to have it analyzed so we know if an animal in that area makes those sounds.

There was a caption on the screen at the end of the second episode that said that the audio clip had been analyzed and that it wasn't from any known animal.  It sounded kind of like a distorted train whistle to me, lol.

As I said in an above post, it appears to me that the figure in the picture is wearing pants.  It's more clear when they show the picture lighter rather than darker. 

Despite what they said about the Mansi, my gut feeling is they had nothing to do with it, but who knows?

The fact that the eye slits were looking toward the forest is interesting.  Even more odd that they ran in that direction - the direction of whatever they were watching.  It seems so odd that if they were in a hurry to get out of the tent, why wouldn't they use the door (or the flap or whatever it's called)?

It was a very interesting show, but I had a few problems with it.  If this Yeti thing is so dangerous, why the heck would the guy camp outside the cave and go chasing after it in the dark, where it nested?  Especially when later, they were afraid to stay in the forest when the hunter with the rifle left.

At the beginning the narrator also said that all the hikers had massive injuries, which was not the case.  But I can chalk that up to human error.

It was an interesting show and I wonder why one of the hikers wrote down "the snow beast or man or creature, whatever they called it, lives" I guess we'll never know.

"Snowman", I think it was.  That was very odd.  Might have been unrelated.  Just like Edmund Hillary said he saw Yeti tracks when climbing Everest.

About the only thing I can say with any certainty is that the hikers were either scared out of their tent, or they simply went crazy.  When I first heard this story I thought that maybe they went crazy from hypothermia.

Weird things happen in Siberia apparently.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, rmontro said:

There was a caption on the screen at the end of the second episode that said that the audio clip had been analyzed and that it wasn't from any known animal.  It sounded kind of like a distorted train whistle to me, lol.

As I said in an above post, it appears to me that the figure in the picture is wearing pants.  It's more clear when they show the picture lighter rather than darker. 

Despite what they said about the Mansi, my gut feeling is they had nothing to do with it, but who knows?

The fact that the eye slits were looking toward the forest is interesting.  Even more odd that they ran in that direction - the direction of whatever they were watching.  It seems so odd that if they were in a hurry to get out of the tent, why wouldn't they use the door (or the flap or whatever it's called)?

It was a very interesting show, but I had a few problems with it.  If this Yeti thing is so dangerous, why the heck would the guy camp outside the cave and go chasing after it in the dark, where it nested?  Especially when later, they were afraid to stay in the forest when the hunter with the rifle left.

I missed that about the audio being analyzed. I would've really liked to have listen to that audio without the background music.

I think that picture is one of the hikers, I don't know if I see pants or clothes but it doesn't look hairy. Also, the one clip they showed of the "Yeti" next to the water looked like a small man but he said the person filming was saying "Yeti, Yeti".

I thought that was strange too that they ran towards the forest, the same direction they cut slits to look at something. I wonder if they didn't use the door is because it was tied and would've taken longer to escape.

That whole scene of them camping in the cave seemed staged to me for some reason and like you said he chased after it but later was afraid to stay without the hunter with the rifle.

Wasn't the last pictures on the roll of film the lights? I wonder if those were taken through the slits and that would explain why he still had the camera around his neck when found.

Hypothermia would explain why they didn't have clothes on when they ran out of the tent. And maybe he was right when he said some ran and the others went out looking for them and that's why some had clothes on and some didn't. Or was that on EU they said that? I might be getting the shows mixed up ;-) 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

I wonder if they didn't use the door is because it was tied and would've taken longer to escape.

That's possible, I don't know much about tents lol.

If you Google a picture of the hikers' "yeti" picture, you can see that the lower part of the body is darker than the top part.  Which appears to me to be pants that are a different color than the coat.  The pointy head would obviously be the hood of the jacket.

I also wondered if that picture of the lights (which was their last picture) was taken through the slits.  It might even explain why it isn't clearly in focus.

I believe on EU they said that the hikers who lived longer took clothes from the dead in an attempt to keep warm.  You have a point that maybe a few of them went crazy from hypothermia and ran out, and the others went after them to try to save them.  It's all conjecture though.

• Love 2

Josh returned to The Secret in the most recent episode.  I really thought they were going to find a box in this one, but it was only more disappointment.  That one couple's theory about the shadows being the "master key" sounded very plausible.  Regardless, it's still a very interesting topic.  

Kind of annoying that treasure hunters have to get a permit to dig in the parks where the boxes are buried though.

• Love 1

I'm glad they revisited The Secret, but bummer that they didn't find anything. I remember reading an article that was written after the first show aired, and the Milwaukee parks system was not very happy that people were coming in and digging up the park. It makes sense that you would need a permit. What if you accidentally hit a power line or sprinkler system? Also, it just ruins the landscape. 

I'm not sure about the shadow theory. It seems way too complex. I wish they would have explained it a bit more. Back in the 80s, they didn't have computer programs like the one they used on the show, so to expect a treasure hunter back then to figure it out would be pretty demanding.

I wonder how many of the remaining caskets have been dug up, by accident. During construction, etc. Hopefully there are still a few left, and they are found by people who know what they are.

Also, the little in-between commercials clip of Josh running in Alice Cooper and finding out he was a fan was great. Josh was so happy!

• Love 3

At least Josh did find an ancient artifact this time...it was Alice Cooper!   (I keed, I keed)  

It was a cool moment though and you could tell Josh was giddy as a little kid upon meeting him.

I had hoped that since they were doing a revisit of this episode, he would actually find one of those boxes this time.  Guess not.  I do think D&D were on the right track though.   The box could very well be in that park. 

I do think some are overthinking it though with the shadows.  I mean, did the shadows theory work with the Chicago and Cleveland finds?  I don't think that was a factor in either one of them.  And remember, there was no Google or internet as we know now back then.  You kinda have to think how Byron Preiss would have designed these clues in order for people to find the treasure boxes.  Which is why I don't believe he would have come up with complex stuff like figuring how the sun/shadow position at certain times of the year to bury his boxes.

Loved the '80s references and the intro to this episode.  It was very entertaining.  Even though it was a bit frustrating once again that Josh didn't come up with what he was looking for.  Oh well.  Maybe a Secret part 3 will be in the works at some point.

• Love 5

I think this might have been my favorite episode of the series, along with the first Secret one. I find it really fascinating. I said to my husband that I didn't understand how I had never heard of all this until now, but then I remembered that there was no internet back then so yeah, it's plausible, lol.

I was practically on the edge of my seat because I also figured that they must've found one since they were revisiting it, but alas, no. 

The '80s tv show stuff was great, and the Alice Cooper segment was just awesome. 

Edited by Gothish520
  • Love 4
19 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

I was practically on the edge of my seat because I also figured that they must've found one since they were revisiting it, but alas, no. 

Yeah, that's what I thought, and it stands to reason.  I'm really surprised only two of the ten boxes have been found, considering how much information is out there, and how they seem to have a lot of them narrowed down pretty far.  Having to get permits probably slows things up considerably. 

I'm wondering if the author buried those boxes illegally, or if the permits weren't necessary to dig back then.  They said he buried some of them disguised as a construction worker lol.

• Love 2

So there is news that another box has been found in a park in Boston.Josh is apparently doing a breaking news update on this tonight at 9 with a full episode to come. This is all coming from the facebook page on The Secret. I am very excited to see if this is real or another dead end.

• Love 2

I belong to a couple of The Secret groups on FB, and they have been talking about this for quite awhile.

The consensus there is that Josh's crew did report a find.  But as to whether or not it truly is one of those boxes is still being debated.  Definitely look forward to seeing it.  It was one of my favorite EU episode when the first one aired in January (I think).

I also hope it is a full episode.  And not just a replay of another one with about 15 minutes tacked on at the end.  We shall see..

• Love 2

Last night episode was amazing! They found a third casque and the key so the family was able to turn them in for the jewel. I loved seeing family of the author as well as the artist who did the pictures and all the other people who have found a casque. It's a very small group. I hope that they find more in the future, this narrows down which poem can go with which picture so that has to help.

I cried, everyone was so happy and proud that they found it!

• Love 10
9 hours ago, Arynm said:

I cried, everyone was so happy and proud that they found it!

The ceremony at the end was surprisingly emotional considering it's all about a treasure hunt.  Having the deceased author's family there was a big factor, I'm sure.  I'm glad Josh got an award for his bringing The Secret to greater awareness.  It's amazing that the guy contacted Josh before he had even found the key.

I remember the painter guy from the first show about The Secret.  From what we saw here, he knows more than he originally claimed.  At least he denied painting the lady to look like Columbus, I didn't see that at all.

Too bad the box was destroyed as it was, but at least it was still able to be salvaged.  Makes you wonder how many of the other boxes have been destroyed accidentally over the years.  

I also wonder about the value of the gem, especially since all the gems are of a different type.  

Funny thing about this episode, some of the clues to the Boston box seemed less obvious to me than a lot of the other theories they've shown on the show.  Like the ladies hair that looked like a baseball diamond (well, sort of), and the sleeve that looked like home plate (a distorted version).

• Love 3

My wife and I refer to this show as "Expedition Unfound" because Josh has never been part of group that found anything. I don't know how he keeps up his enthusiasm. However, that was the single best episode they have ever done! I loved it. I especially was moved at how emotional the author's daughters were at the special ceremony at the end of the episode.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, AAEBoiler said:

My wife and I refer to this show as "Expedition Unfound" because Josh has never been part of group that found anything. I don't know how he keeps up his enthusiasm. However, that was the single best episode they have ever done! I loved it. I especially was moved at how emotional the author's daughters were at the special ceremony at the end of the episode.

It's probably the thrill of the hunt. I would be excited too, just being able to be in the locations that he's allowed to go to.

Damn this show for making me cry! I loved this last episode. I especially liked hearing from the artist, and him telling about the clues in the picture. And everyone's aha reactions! Since he's the last person who really knows anything about the locations, I hope he has a journal with all the info, so when he's gone, the info won't be lost forever.

It does seem like all the casks have been hidden in public parks. Hopefully they don't get sued some day by the government! lol

• Love 5

I really enjoyed this episode, I've enjoyed learning about The Secret through all the episodes, there's still 9 left out there to find! I really liked that they made the presentation of the key as a ceremony. It's a good ending to the journey they've all been through. 

And I, too, think the painter knows more that he's revealed, he pointed out the letters spelling Boston that were hidden in the painting.

And even though Josh wasn't part of the team that recovered the lost Ruby Slippers, I think this show was instrumental in the timing of their return. 

Editing to add that as a August birthday, peridot is not an expensive stone, I have several.

Edited by friendperidot
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
46 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

And even though Josh wasn't part of the team that recovered the lost Ruby Slippers, I think this show was instrumental in the timing of their return. 

I'm glad you said that, because I wasn't even aware that they had been returned.  Good news.

• Love 1

I read somewhere that the more expensive the stone, the harder the clues are to find it. So the diamond would be really hard to find. I didn't realize that they were the birthstones so no one find March, I want it!

Well, crap. It seems that the Aquamarine has already been found in Cleveland. I am devastated.

Edited by Arynm
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Arynm said:

I read somewhere that the more expensive the stone, the harder the clues are to find it. So the diamond would be really hard to find.

That's an interesting concept.  I wonder how the birthstones would go with the "shadow theory" that couple had on the last Secret show?  I can't even remember what city they were in, or the month, was it July?  Would the shadow date go along with the birthstone month?  I doubt it, but just throwing it out there.

Anyone know what the value of that peridot is?  Like if you were to sell it for cash?  The fact that it is a "Secret" gem might mean more to its value than its regular gem value.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I made the mistake of eating dinner while watching the show. (I know, I know.) Took a bite, decided it was kind of bland, applied some hot sauce. Got sucked into the show, sort of absentmindedly ate the food without tasting it. 

As soon as the show was over, my taste buds informed me that I’d put far too much hot sauce on the food and hadn’t noticed it because I was paying so much attention to the show. 

At least it gave me a good excuse for why I was crying!

• Love 4

I caught this last night.  I hadn't heard the Boston one was found so I was afraid it was going to be another false trail.  It was so fun to watch the guy and his family digging through the soil.  It really does open up the possibility that a number of the casques could be lost forever.  I thought about that when they hit the PVC pipe in Golden Gate park.  If the couple's shadow theory was correct, whatever machinery dug for that pipe installation could easily have destroyed the box.  The only reason the Boston one wasn't destroyed is the seeker (Jason?) was lucky enough to alert the construction crew that he was sure it was buried under Home plate and they were watching for it.  The boxes are only buried 3 feet deep and it's been 40 years.  

I was very impressed that the construction company was actually willing to rope off the site and leave it alone for a couple of days!   They didn't even get publicity, did they?  I don't remember the company name being shown.

I wonder why the Japanese edition contained hints that aren't in the English edition?  I assume any other foreign language editions have been combed for additional clues as well.  I wish I could participate in The Secret but I am too literal minded for riddles!

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Frost said:

I thought about that when they hit the PVC pipe in Golden Gate park.  If the couple's shadow theory was correct, whatever machinery dug for that pipe installation could easily have destroyed the box. 

Good point, I hadn't considered that.  It was right in the spot that was predicted, the box could well have been destroyed.  I don't know how long that PVC pipe had been there, but I'm guessing it's used more commonly now than in the '70s.  The Secret book came out in 1979 so it might be likely that the pipe was put there after the burial of the box.

The construction company in Boston knew the box was supposed to be under home plate, but they still ended up breaking the box and its contents into pieces.  Definitely makes it seem like more boxes could have been destroyed. 

Josh needs to check out the SF couple's theory in Boston.  Was there some shadow that would have fallen on Home plate in that park on a certain day/time proposed by symbols on the painting?

22 hours ago, Frost said:

Josh needs to check out the SF couple's theory in Boston.  Was there some shadow that would have fallen on Home plate in that park on a certain day/time proposed by symbols on the painting?

Good question.  The shadow thing is probably just nonsense, but I could see it.  There are all the clocks, and the 12 numbers apparently correspond to the 12 months, which correspond to the 12 birthstones.  But could the author have buried each box in a separate month?  It possible, no way he visited all those parks in one day.

I was thrilled that they found a box, and that Josh could be there, and almost in his hometown. It's mine, too. I grew up here, live here again after years away (so glad to be back) and my parents were the first generation born here to Irish and Italian parents who immigrated in the early 1920s. I got even more emotional thinking of their lives, seeing this unfold on streets they walked. I was glad, too, Josh didn't just celebrate Columbus, but said "for better or for worse." It was a beautiful episode. I was quite soggy at the end. 

• Love 2

It strikes me that Byron Preiss (The Secret author) must know a thing or two about groundskeeping.  It probably takes some skill to bury something under home plate without messing up the field, and not making it look suspicious.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Darian said:

I was thrilled that they found a box, and that Josh could be there, and almost in his hometown. It's mine, too. I grew up here, live here again after years away (so glad to be back) and my parents were the first generation born here to Irish and Italian parents who immigrated in the early 1920s. I got even more emotional thinking of their lives, seeing this unfold on streets they walked. I was glad, too, Josh didn't just celebrate Columbus, but said "for better or for worse." It was a beautiful episode. I was quite soggy at the end. 

As a New Englander and a lifelong Red Sox fan (born into it, lol) it was a treat that the latest box and key were found in Boston. I also found it interesting that the lady in the painting is a witch, as Salem is probably my favorite city. 

Such an awesome episode!

• Love 1
9 hours ago, rmontro said:

These episodes are so popular Josh could probably just run an entire show based on The Secret and do well with it.  Kind of like Curse of Oak Island, but more grounded.

I went to Josh's live show in Scranton about a month ago, and during the Q&A someone mentioned Oak Island.  Josh scoffed and snarked back, "That's not even on my network!!"  Pretty rich from someone who put out a multipart special documenting his hunt for the Yeti...  But I can't say that I haven't fantasized about an Expedition Unknown/Oak Island crossover.  

• Love 3
9 hours ago, rmontro said:

These episodes are so popular Josh could probably just run an entire show based on The Secret and do well with it.  Kind of like Curse of Oak Island, but more grounded.

I think most shows are more grounded than The Curse of Oak Island.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
On 3/25/2017 at 6:37 AM, rmontro said:

Interesting you say he has a Dudley Do-right voice, I've always thought he sounded like Kermit the Frog.

I do like Josh as a host though, he seems like a pretty upright guy.  On Destination Truth, you could see he wasn't taking it all too seriously.  Also, he has a job that allows him some pretty cool experiences.

I used to change the channel when I would hear him speaking, I hated his voice so much! But then.... I don't know what happened. I love his shows... his sense of humor... and I have a tiny tiny crush on him (yes, I know he's married).

• Love 2

I'd like to see Josh look into the deaths of Kris Kremers and Lisanne Foon, two Dutch young women who disappeared while hiking on a Panama trail.  There remains were later found.

They were featured on the new show Lost in the Wild on the Travel Channel last night.  There are a lot of mysterious circumstances connected to their death which makes you wonder just what the heck happened to them.  Reminds me a little of the Dyatlov Pass stuff, without the supernatural stuff, because there were some odd photos on their phone.  Fascinating stuff.

The hosts talked to the natives who found their backpack, who I thought had a legitimate gripe.  There was a reward for information leading to their recovery (dead or alive), but they never received the $30,000.  It's worth a watch if you get the chance, or you can Google it.

• Love 1

Anyone watch the new season starting last night? As a history buff, learning more about D-Day was fantastic. The building they uncovered and went in were remarkable. However, they all really should have worn masks cause no one knows what was growing down there.

• Love 4
34 minutes ago, Happy Belly said:

Anyone watch the new season starting last night? As a history buff, learning more about D-Day was fantastic.

Yeah, it was interesting.  Three hours of Expedition Unknown in one night is a bit too much of a good thing though.  Next week looks like another three hours plus the new Expedition X show.  

At first I thought Expedition X was going to be hosted by Josh Gates, but it appears it's going to be a male/female duo that includes former nerd sex symbol Jessica Chobot.  I'm kind of glad Josh isn't going to be doing it, because it seems like too much of a step backwards for him (to his Destination Truth days).  I'm pretty much over watching these "supernatural hooey" shoes, but I'll likely watch next week to give it a chance. 

Lost in the Wild has a male/female duo hosting, and I've really been enjoying that show.

That wild mold in the Nazi bunker was crazy.  It's weird to see WWII sites as the subject of archaeological digs, makes me feel old.

I couldn't believe they talked about the paratrooper who was caught on the church spire without saying what happened to him.  I'd heard the story before, but I couldn't remember, so I had to look it up.  He had tried to pretend to be dead, but was captured by Germans.  He was liberated a few days later when US troops took the village. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Thank you rmontro for the info on the paratrooper. What a story that guy can tell. Glad to know he survived. 

I will be watching ExpeditionX. I love the whacky paranormal shows so I am hoping this one won’t let me down.

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, Happy Belly said:

I will be watching ExpeditionX. I love the whacky paranormal shows so I am hoping this one won’t let me down.

Well, they're starting with Mothman, so that should be tolerable.  Since supposedly they're pairing a believer (Chobot) with a skeptic, I wonder if we'll see both approaches - one trying to find a paranormal explanation, and the other trying to find a natural explanation (like the "it was an owl" theory").  The preview they had of them investigating the toxic government swamp looked interesting.

I'm just completely tired of seeing people traipsing around in the dark collecting EVPs, and suddenly yell out "What was that?".  Then the show goes to commercial, and they come back and it was nothing, or they failed to catch whatever it was on camera.  I'm just totally over that stuff, but I'm sure it's inevitable that they'll get to it.  Even Josh played that game for awhile on Destination Truth.

• Love 1

It's just unbelievable that Northwest flight 2501 has never been found when debris was found so soon after the crash.  Did the Korean War so pull focus that the Coast Guard just gave up?  Even after watching the episode I still don't get it.  I mean, it's Lake Michigan, not an ocean.  It's a big body of water, but it's still a defined area.  

The fact that bodies were buried without the families even being notified?  Unfathomable.  I'm really glad Josh chose this for a show because I've never even heard of this crash...and that's just wrong.

• Love 2
On 2/12/2020 at 10:03 PM, Frost said:

I'm really glad Josh chose this for a show because I've never even heard of this crash...and that's just wrong.

Very sad tale, especially on the heels of the Kobe Bryant crash.  I enjoyed the ride on the DC-4.  That pilot seemed pretty tense when he was landing it.  It amazes me that they get these big hunks of metal to fly so routinely.  Funny how in some ways flying was more luxurious back in the 50s.  

I'm sure I must have heard mention of this flight at some point, it sounds vaguely familiar.  But I wasn't really aware of it, you know?  It happened 10 years before I was born.

Saw the premiere of Expedition X.  I guess Josh is more involved than I thought.  Apparently he serves as host, he just doesn't go out into the field.  

• Love 1

Is it just me or is the show less sensationalistic this season?  I'm really enjoying the change from hunting the Yeti to finding out about Queen Boudica.  The evolution of the human family tree was fascinating as well.  Way to go Josh!

I guess the sensationalism has moved to the new Mulder/Scully team segments which I mostly skip.  I watched the end of the Monmouth Cave part, where the female believer sat alone (with her cameraman) in the cave while the male skeptic was off somewhere else watching the video feed.  Low and behold, she had a close encounter!  Why oh why wouldn't this 'experiment' be done by the skeptic?  Having someone who already believes in paranormal activity sense that someone is standing right next to her doesn't carry a lot of weight.  And no matter how many times they showed the video footing of the 'shadow' moving, I couldn't see what they were describing.

What's frustrating to me is that I actually do believe there are some spiritual interactions, but the ones shown on TV always come across as staged.  

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Frost said:

I guess the sensationalism has moved to the new Mulder/Scully team segments which I mostly skip. 

They have had some things like the yeti, but for the most part Expedition Unknown has kept mostly to historical topics and treasure hunting.  Josh's old show, Destination Truth, used to feature mostly supernatural subjects.  The new show, Expedition X, is more in the vein of that show than Expedition Unknown.

• Love 2