Type keyword(s) to search

Expedition Unknown - General Discussion

• Start Topic

19 hours ago, rmontro said:

They've been running new episodes on Discovery again.  The first part of search for the afterlife was pretty good.  I thought they were kind of referencing "In Search Of" for the title though.

I never would have guessed in a million years that Josh would be friends with Chip Coffey.

From the way Josh was talking, it sounds like he wouldn’t have, either. 

I was surprised at how interesting the first Afterlife episode was — I don’t know what I was expecting, but I should have trusted Josh & company, since they once achieved something I thought was impossible: they made the Boer War interesting. Clearly anything he covers will interest me. 

I discovered last week that one of my cousins has been searching for Fenn’s treasure for the past few years. If he weren’t so anti-TV I’d wonder if he got the idea from Josh. 

• Love 2
On 10/12/2018 at 12:24 AM, jennblevins said:

I discovered last week that one of my cousins has been searching for Fenn’s treasure for the past few years. 

Oh, that's kind of cool.  And I agree, the Afterlife episode was more interesting than I thought it would be.

On 10/12/2018 at 12:32 AM, badhaggis said:

Josh used to show up on Ghost Hunters when he was filming Destination Truth. Chip Coffey would do appearances with some of the GH people. I thought that might be how they met.

That's a good guess.  My girlfriend used to watch that show all the time, so I do remember both of them showing up.  At this point, I've had my fill of ghost hunting shows.  I was watching some reruns of Destination Truth, and my eyes glaze over for most of the "haunted sites" stuff.

• Love 2

Afterlife Part Two:

I liked watching Josh get choked up when he was participating in the Hindu funeral.  Josh may be the coolest guy on TV.

The reincarnation regression was interesting, although of course I'm skeptical about it.  The comments by Deepok Chopra were enlightening.  

I don't think Professional Exorcist is a job I'd like to go to every day.

• Love 3

“He’s in touch with a higher power, by which I mean, he’s friends with Oprah.”  Hah!

2 hours ago, rmontro said:

I liked watching Josh get choked up when he was participating in the Hindu funeral.  Josh may be the coolest guy on TV.

I haven’t managed to make it through the whole episode yet, because I started crying at the Hindu funeral and didn’t think I could handle any more. I felt like I was in good company, at least. Last week, it was the near-death-experience part that set me off. I don’t know if this was a good time or a bad time for these episodes — there was a death in my family recently and I’ve been finding them both comforting and stressful. 

I’ll be interested to see the exorcism bit when I manage to finish the episode — as of yet I’m not entirely certain what an exorcism has to do with the afterlife. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, jennblevins said:

I haven’t managed to make it through the whole episode yet, because I started crying at the Hindu funeral and didn’t think I could handle any more. I felt like I was in good company, at least. Last week, it was the near-death-experience part that set me off. I don’t know if this was a good time or a bad time for these episodes — there was a death in my family recently and I’ve been finding them both comforting and stressful.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss, but it's not just you.  I found those moments tear jerking as well.

As for the exorcism, I guess it is a bit of a stretch to associate it with the afterlife.  But it's along the lines of "If there's a God, there's a devil".  Josh said something similar to "If there are spiritual powers that offer comfort, there are others also that can attack you".  I'm sure I am nowhere close to what he said in that quote, but it was something like that.

Next week Josh is talking to Penn Gillette.  Since he is a well known atheist, I'm curious as to what possible association he could have with the afterlife.

Edited by rmontro
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, rmontro said:

I'm sorry to hear about your loss, but it's not just you.  I found those moments tear jerking as well.

As for the exorcism, I guess it is a bit of a stretch to associate it with the afterlife.  But it's along the lines of "If there's a God, there's a devil".  Josh said something similar to "If there are spiritual powers that offer comfort, there are others also that can attack you".  I'm sure I am nowhere close to what he said in that quote, but it was something like that.

Next week Josh is talking to Penn Gillette.  Since he is a well known atheist, I'm curious as to what possible association he could have with the afterlife.

I thought the show explained the connection. They were talking about how some religions believe in heaven and hell, angels and demons in the afterlife. But then the question was raised that some believe that those representatives from the afterlife try to start influencing people before death, such as the possibility that people are possessed by demons.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, VMepicgrl said:

I thought the show explained the connection. They were talking about how some religions believe in heaven and hell, angels and demons in the afterlife. But then the question was raised that some believe that those representatives from the afterlife try to start influencing people before death, such as the possibility that people are possessed by demons.

Yeah, they definitely explained the connection, I just couldn't remember exactly what they said.  Thanks for clearing that up, your explanation makes a heckuva lot more sense than what I said.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, rmontro said:

Yeah, they definitely explained the connection, I just couldn't remember exactly what they said.  Thanks for clearing that up, your explanation makes a heckuva lot more sense than what I said.

You're welcome. I forget the exact wording, but that was the gist that I got from it.

• Love 1

I was without any sort of cable for a couple of years and about 6-8 months ago, I discovered a streaming service, Philo, it's cheap, it doesn't have many channels, 40 is all, but I have become addicted to Discovery, Discovery Science and the Travel Channel, all of them airing Josh Gates shows. I love watching him, he's so fun, his fun is infectious, he's informative, I learn stuff all the time. Reminds me of the ancient days when Mythbusters started, they made science so much fun. It makes me rather regret not stretching out my History/Poly Sci studies to include more archaeology. In recent years, I've thought I would enjoy the field of cultural anthropology. I was never terribly interested in digging in dirt and I hate heat, but I like knowing what things were used for and how peoples of various times actually lived. 

But I don't care if it's a rerun, I don't care what the subject is and I don't care which show it is. I just enjoy Josh. I like watching him interact with locals, he does always seem respectful and charming. I enjoy his scarves. I enjoy watching him eat local delicacies. He's just such a pleasant break from nastiness and reality. 

• Love 9

I have become so addicted to his shows over the past few months. I'm enjoying the Search for the After Life, but I think the Ruby Slippers after they were found is my favorite. My least favorite was the wooly mammoth. I prefer Expedition Unknown over Destination Truth, I liked Ghost Hunters for a long time, but I'm over ghost shows, I think Zach and his dude bros ruined them for me.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, VMepicgrl said:

Thanks — I was the one who was curious about the connection, because I haven’t managed to watch past the Hindu funeral yet. Since nobody in my family has been possessed by demons lately, I should hopefully be able to watch that part without falling apart. 

20 hours ago, friendperidot said:

I prefer Expedition Unknown over Destination Truth

Oh, for sure.  Usually Expedition Unknown has some real historical background to it, whereas Destination Truth was mostly hokum - chasing spirits and cryptozoological creatures.

The only thing I miss about Destination Truth sometimes is that it had more of a "team" feel to it, the crew was on camera more frequently and was part of the investigation.

• Love 3

Totally agree.  I like EU better all around.  But the one thing I do miss about DT is he interacted with his crew more.  Still I like and watch both shows and catch the reruns whenever I can.

I like his afterlife episodes.  I wasn't quite sure what to expect with them when he first announced it on Twitter.  But I do like what I am seeing so far.

• Love 1

I've only watched the first afterlife episode and the follow up discussion show. While I enjoyed the episode, I recognized the neurosurgeon Josh had on right away and thought Josh might present some of the criticism of him and his story. Even without that, I don't consider his medical records as proof because they show his brain at its worst. If he had the experience he describes, I don't see how he could know it happened during the worst of his illness. Could have been a dream or hallucination as his brain was healing. I just think the afterlife shows are pretty one-sided, which I guess is ok since this is just an entertainment show. But it's not any kind of legitimate search for any kind of truth. 

Still like Josh. Still like the show, but big grain of salt time. 

Afterlife part 3:  Didn't know this was going to be a four parter.

During the "Previously on Expedition Unknown" segment, they characterized demonic possession as "an incursion of the next world into ours".

They used Penn Gillette's atheistic stance of "there is no afterlife" to introduce the idea of extending our current life through artificial means, such as cryogenics or transferring ourselves into computer data.

The segment on the Tojaran people was interesting, as was their architecture.  The way they view the buffalo reminded me of the Atlantis episodes and the way several ancient cultures worshipped bulls.  As for keeping the dead relatives around and interacting with them, they really lost me in the After Show when they mentioned they change their clothes.  I'll pass on that duty, thanks.

The cliffhanger was Josh taking the ayahuascha.  Hallucinogenics on Expedition Unknown, never expected to see that.  Josh says he "doesn't do drugs" but he is regularly seen drinking on the show.  Alcohol is a drug.  They lost me on this experience when they talked about the vomiting (and other side effects).

Edited by rmontro
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Neuroglide said:

I just watch Afterlife: Quest for Immortality aired 10/21/2018. Does anyone know the name of the song and who the artist is of the song that was playing during Josh's recording his brainwaves in Moscow? 

Sorry.  From the lyrics it sounds like it should be called "Hot Wired", but while there are many songs with that title, I couldn't find one that resembled the song on the show.  I wonder if they produce their own music for Expedition Unknown?  They often have a segment where a song plays, but I don't think I've heard of any of them before.

I thought the conclusion of the Afterlife series limped to a stop.  The ayahuascha trip was interesting, but I didn't care about the ghost hunting trip on the Queen Mary.  Although it was nice to see Grant Wilson, just for old times sake.  They'd been promising a "final answer" in this episode, which seemed overly ambitious, to say the least.  Apparently to Josh and the producers, the answer is still up in the air, but you can see the afterlife in your children.  I thought "Well, that's great, but I don't have any kids lol". 

• Love 3
On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 7:11 PM, rmontro said:

Apparently to Josh and the producers, the answer is still up in the air, but you can see the afterlife in your children.  I thought "Well, that's great, but I don't have any kids lol". 

I'm childless and that didn't give me a lot of comfort either!  I do have a personal story of the afterlife that gives me hope, however.  A few hours after my father died I was out mowing my lawn, because I had to do something.   My dad spoke to me clear as if he were standing right next to me.  It completely unexpected and was a one time thing but it happened and I'm grateful for it.  There have been other smaller things in the past two years that could be coincidences or could be some kind of spiritual intervention, but hearing his voice that day was unequivocal evidence that he 'survived' after death as far as I'm concerned.

Josh's experience with the ayahuascha was uncomfortable to watch.  It sounded like an acid trip, not an afterlife experience.  I expected him to write a psychedelic song afterwards!  I also remain deeply skeptical of the guy at the cemetery who supposedly spoke to the dead.  Why do they always do the "the name starts with an M" thing?  If the spirit is communicating with them and has specific things to say to their loved ones, why can't they tell him their name?

It was an interesting four episodes but it could have been distilled down to two pretty easily.  Stories like the Gate to Hell where the priests survived because the heavy lethal gases were lower than their heads don't have anything to do with the afterlife at all.

• Love 1

Oh, Frost, I know what you mean, a few hours after my Dad died, I was sitting at my computer and I heard him call my name. It was just that one time, but it's been 18 years and it still gives me comfort. He has visited me in dreams, they're usually pretty vague and my Mom has too. She said that after Dad died, she would be in bed and would feel someone sit down on the side of the bed and sit there for a minute then feel the change in the mattress when he left. It gives me comfort and I talk to them, usually asking them to do something about my siblings or give me lottery numbers. So far, nothing, my sibs are still screwing up and I haven't won a lottery.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Frost said:

It was an interesting four episodes but it could have been distilled down to two pretty easily.  Stories like the Gate to Hell where the priests survived because the heavy lethal gases were lower than their heads don't have anything to do with the afterlife at all.

Yeah, they definitely stretched it out longer than it needed to be.  That last episode was almost all filler to me.  I also agree the ayahuascha was just an hallucinogen, but that doesn't mean the local natives don't view it as something more.  Similar to how native Americans used peyote, I suppose.

I'm also suspicious of psychics, and it's even harder to get confirmation from seeing them on television, which is subject to editing.

I believe in God, but I don't think that much about the afterlife.  In that sense, I guess I'm kind of like those Jewish folk who were focused on the here and now - Buddhists are that way also.

I don't agree with Penn Gillette.  I thought his outlook was very much "the glass is half empty".  He said it was a comfort to not believe in a God who allowed pain to exist.  But that seems like he is using a human experience and standard to judge something that is much bigger.  Like can there be light without darkness to contrast it?  It just seems like a very narrow minded view.

• Love 2

I’m watching a new episode: Mysteries of American Outlaws. I didn’t expect it to be what I’m watching, but he has pulled a few scores out in the first hour. Not the big prize. I just expected more historical references to people like Billy the Kidd, Wyatt Earp, Wild Bill Hickock, etc. Not some guy named Plummer that I’d never heard of. 

• Love 1

Mindthinkr, I had seen parts of that one before, but I was paying more attention at the beginning this time. I was amused, I'm from Kansas City, I grew up pronouncing it Missoura, but that changed when I moved to WDC and got teased, most of the time I say Missouri now, except when I say, "I'm from Missoura, Show Me!" But the town where Billy the Kid is from is pronounced Carny, not however Josh mangled it, it's spelled Kearney. As everyplace does, the Midwest has a lot of familiar spellings of places that have very different pronunciations. Nevada, Missouri is pronounced Nevayda, Versailles is pronounced Versales. Miami Oklahoma is Miamah and on and on and on.

My step-grandfather in rural Arkansas had mules, but other than they pulled his wagon into town very slowly when I was a kid, I didn't know much about them. I didn't know they were skittish around water, that was interesting. I did know there were some beautiful places in southern Missouri, the Mark Twain National Forest is gorgeous, the Ozarks are gorgeous. And even though I live in Tulsa and I pretty much, officially, hate Oklahoma, the state does have some beautiful places.

But Josh getting into the local wardrobe was amusing as ever. Most anything goes in KC, except maybe the embroidered sombrero, that's a big "NO" as a look for anyone except maybe in a parade or a Mariachi band. But KC barbecue is fabulous, Gates, "Hi! May I hep you?" is not my favorite, but I do miss good barbecue.

Edited by friendperidot
  • Love 2
On 9/24/2018 at 1:56 AM, rmontro said:

I also liked the Nazis in Argentina

What cracks me up about that episode is that they were not the only tv show filming the same topic at the same time.  I can just hear the Argentinian people saying, "Americans be crazy".

On 11/7/2018 at 12:16 PM, friendperidot said:

Oh, Frost, I know what you mean, a few hours after my Dad died, I was sitting at my computer and I heard him call my name. It was just that one time, but it's been 18 years and it still gives me comfort.

I had a similar experience and we are all non-believers.

I like Josh, I do, but his show is soooooo slow moving I literally fall asleep.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, jumper sage said:

What cracks me up about that episode is that they were not the only tv show filming the same topic at the same time.  I can just hear the Argentinian people saying, "Americans be crazy".

I wouldn't doubt that at all, and they are likely right.  But they can't really deny that there was a Nazi presence in Argentina after the war.

• Love 4

I'm not impressed with Josh in the Mammoth episode.  I thought he was an archeologist.  The way they were tramping around and hacking up mammoth bones in that crater horrified me.  He got way too caught up in the thrill of the hunt.  Cloning freaks me out anyway and people deciding to try and recreate something that went extinct tens of thousands of years ago just because they can is the height of human arrogance.

• Love 4

Just wondering about the new show coming up soon called Legend Hunter. Any thoughts? I will probably give it a chance. I do hope the host has some of the charm of Josh. Because to me, much of what makes this show work is Josh. I can understand him wanting to cut back on his travel and being away from home, he now has 2 young children and like all of us, he's not getting any younger and he gets himself into lots of situations, I know the drama and danger is played up for show, but he does go a lot of places where angels fear to tread.

I watched part of the episode about Stone Hinge with Megan Fox. I was bored out of my mind. I hope she's not going to be hosting a regular show. I'm all for a woman explorer and host, but she wasn't it for me.

• Love 2
On 12/26/2018 at 7:51 PM, friendperidot said:

Just wondering about the new show coming up soon called Legend Hunter. Any thoughts? I will probably give it a chance. I do hope the host has some of the charm of Josh. Because to me, much of what makes this show work is Josh. I can understand him wanting to cut back on his travel and being away from home, he now has 2 young children and like all of us, he's not getting any younger and he gets himself into lots of situations, I know the drama and danger is played up for show, but he does go a lot of places where angels fear to tread.

I watched part of the episode about Stone Hinge with Megan Fox. I was bored out of my mind. I hope she's not going to be hosting a regular show. I'm all for a woman explorer and host, but she wasn't it for me.

I could only give the Megan Fox one 5 mins, if that.  Deck. Absolute dreck.  I've been seeing this Casey Anderson guy but he is more cryptographic looking more for monster animals. Dunno, still out on that one

• Love 1
On 2/20/2019 at 12:56 PM, SherriAnt said:

Is anyone else getting the feeling that Discovery bought the show just to kill it? 

I sure hope not.  Why?  I cant think of a reason why.  Plus Josh has always been savvy about getting/keeping his shows on the air. You said new shows were coming...do you know when?

• Love 1
On 2/21/2019 at 6:09 PM, Tammee said:

I sure hope not.  Why?  I cant think of a reason why.  Plus Josh has always been savvy about getting/keeping his shows on the air. You said new shows were coming...do you know when?

Last night during the live from Egypt, which I couldn't stay focused on, it may have been my fever and my infected toe and a week of antibiotics, but someone said that Josh would be back Wednesday with his new season. And Mysteries of the Abandoned, What on Earth, have all started new seasons, I've seen some of them. 

I did watch a new guy who said he was a forensic geologist, I haven't bothered to look up what the show was or what his name was. Good grief he was boring, he was so very focused on proving The DaVinci Code and all of the Oak Island and all the Knights Templar, I lost interest quickly and only left the tv on as background noise.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, friendperidot said:

I did watch a new guy who said he was a forensic geologist, I haven't bothered to look up what the show was or what his name was. Good grief he was boring, he was so very focused on proving The DaVinci Code and all of the Oak Island and all the Knights Templar, I lost interest quickly and only left the tv on as background noise.

Sounds like America Unearthed, was that the show?  Those are all reruns, so they're not that new.  I saw an episode last night that I had seen before, he kept going on about the Holy Grail and hooked X's.  Someone had stolen a huge boulder off a beach that allegedly had some Templar writing on it.  That show comes off as very scripted but tries to appear to be spontaneous.

Yeah, Expedition Unknown is back Wednesday with an episode about secret codes to reveal hidden Nazi treasures.  Treasure hunts are usually fun.  I have the Egypt special recorded, but I haven't watched it yet.  Sounds like Josh has gone all Geraldo Rivera on us (if anyone remembers Secrets of Al Capone's Vault).

• Love 3
20 hours ago, friendperidot said:

rmontro, thanks for the name of the show, that was the one I saw about the hooked x's and the boulder stolen out of the bay. I was very bored.

Speaking of bored, I watched the Egypt Live special this morning.  I thought it was mind numbingly boring.  I'm sure some people who were more interested in mummies enjoyed it though.

Seems like most of the show was a contest between Josh and Dr. Hawass to see which one of them could talk the most.  While the Egyptian workers tried to move things along.  Considering the show ran long, I guess the workers were the ones who had it right.

You could see Josh kind of laugh as Dr. Hawass took the mic and closed the show himself.  He seems to be quite a ham, but I was impressed how the old guy was scampering through those tunnels.  

• Love 1

Watched the episode on the Nazi code supposedly planted in the piece of sheet music.  It certainly seems to contain symbols that aren't musical in nature.  This was much more fun than the Egypt Live show, IMO.

What happened to Josh?  He used to seem so adventurous, and nothing daunted him.  Now he seems to balk at every obstacle, he seemed afraid to take the zip line, and was afraid on the four wheeler.  Maybe he was playing it for laughs, but it just seems like a different attitude from him.

I can't believe they dug up a gas mask and a machine gun.  I was wondering if they were going to find a body in there too.  Why would someone leave a machine gun behind?

I think the show now has some new episodes, but I haven't seen them yet. I am going to have to get a new Roku. But I have introduced my great nephew to the series and he likes it as much as I do. There's an almost 50 year difference in our ages. When he lived with me in his early teens, we watched a lot of shows like Longmire, American Pickers, Storage Wars and Pawn Stars, so now we have this one that we both enjoy. There are not many of those kind of shows available.

• Love 3

The combination of Josh spelling out B-O-U-R-G-E-S while holding up a picture of a rooster had me singing a round of the “C-h-i-c-k-e-n, that’s the way you spell chicken” song while watching this week’s episode.

Which made Mr. Blevins look at me like I’d grown an extra head, since he never went to Girl Scout camp and didn’t learn the song there, or ever. But then I started thinking. There are owls at the Girl Scout camp.  And that’s where I watched the film “The Golden Eaglet,” which is about a gold bird. Sort of. 

Therefore, I have come to the conclusion that the owl is buried at a French Girl Guide camp. Whoever finds it can thank me later. 

It’s also possible that I should have gone to bed earlier and watched the episode when I was more awake. 🙄

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

I've been home sick and caught the Tuesday marathon with the "new" episode at 8pm.  I just love Josh.  He always seems so open, respectful, and doesn't take himself too seriously.   The episode where they are looking for the linga stone in Cambodia specifically gets me b/c you see the horror and sadness Josh obviously feels in the museum that pays tribute to the millions (!) of victims of the Khmer Rouge.  His look of desolation in the face of the pictures of kids in chains that obviously know they are about to be executed, and then he walks into another room to try to collect himself, while his VO says "apologies" really go me.

They packaged up 2 episodes as "Treasures of Japan", but I don't believe they are new episdoes:  The first was about looking for the Honjo Masamune (a famous sword made by a sword master that the Japanese gave up during the end of WWII) and the second was about looking for Yamashita's Gold in the Philippines (Yamashita was a WWII Japanese military commander who was executed for war crimes, but not before hiding a jackload of gold and valuables).   I enjoyed the histories, but I also really like Josh spending time in the cities he is in and his reactions to some of the stuff he sees.  

• Love 5

I love Josh.

The DyatlovPass is a mystery I've been interested in for a long time. It's so bizarre that these 9 hikers would cut through their tents to exit in the middle of the night and run barefoot in the freezing cold. Something scared them to death, literally. I don't know what but I don't think it was a rocket test or the military killed them because they saw a top secret rocket. I know it sounds crazy but I'm leaning more towards a UFO. But we'll never know. Can't wait for part 2.

This is a story that would be great for the show The Terror. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

The Dyatlov Pass is a mystery I've been interested in for a long time.

I read a great book about this that you might enjoy ... if you haven't already. It's called "Dead Mountain" by Donnie Eichar.

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, AAEBoiler said:

read a great book about this that you might

56 minutes ago, AAEBoiler said:

I read a great book about this that you might enjoy ... if you haven't already. It's called "Dead Mountain" by Donnie Eichar.

Sorry about the wonky post, as you can tell I was having a little trouble getting the section I wanted selected.

Thank you for the suggestion, I'm going to check it out :-)

• Love 1
21 hours ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

I love Josh.

The DyatlovPass is a mystery I've been interested in for a long time.

I think Josh is great, and I love Expedition Unknown, and I find the Dyatlov Pass incident disturbingly fascinating, but I have to say — from a logical standpoint, you can’t really rule Bigfoot out just because someone took a picture of something that wasn’t Bigfoot. There was some iffy logic ruling out the locals, too. 

I personally don’t think it was Bigfoot or the locals, but the questionable deduction rubs me the wrong way. 

I was impressed with how much stuff in this show hadn’t been covered in the other shows I’ve seen about the Dyatlov pass incident, though. 

Edited by jennblevins
Letters aren’t punctuation.
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, jennblevins said:

I was impressed with how much stuff in this show hadn’t been covered in the other shows I’ve seen about the Dyatlov pass incident, though. 

Yeah, I've read about the missing eyes and tongue but hadn't heard about the broken ribs. I'm not ruling out Bigfoot because they cut the tents from the inside, to me that means they were trying to see something that terrified them without leaving the tent. But whatever it was it scared them so much they ran without their clothes and boots. And a few of them froze on the way back to the tent after they ran out. Also, I've read with the freezing temperature there would've been no birds or critters in that cold environment that would've eaten the eyes and tongue. So strange.  

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Happy Belly said:

Despite their best efforts, the picture of a hiker, at leadt to me, looks nothing like the picture of Bigfoot.

I agree, that picture did not look like a Bigfoot to me, unless Bigfoot wears pants.  I don't think the Bigfoot theory holds up, because only the hikers footprints were found.

It's a bizarre story, all right, but:  The theory that sounds most plausible to me is the Russian military activity.  I read the wikipedia page on the Dyatlov Pass, and it says they were testing parachute mines in the area around the time of the incident.  That would explain people seeing the lights, and the mines explode in the air.  The explosions going off terrified the hikers, who fled their tent.  The victims who had broken bones were caught in concussive blasts.  The others froze to death.

This explains why the government was behaving so oddly, telling people not to go to their funerals, and shutting down the investigation.  If it was Bigfoot or an avalanche, why would they care?

The woman with the missing eyes and tongue was found face down in a frozen stream.  Supposedly this sort of decay can happen in a moist environment. 

I like the Russian woman who is an expert on the incident, she seems like she would be warm and fun to be around, and intelligent besides.  We'll see what conclusion, if any, she and/or Josh come up with.  

Ordinarily, I wouldn't expect Josh to come to a conclusion, but since they've made a point of showing the graphic where they cross off theories they eliminate, I think they actually will try to make some sort of explanation.

• Love 3
On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 2:12 PM, rmontro said:

Ordinarily, I wouldn't expect Josh to come to a conclusion, but since they've made a point of showing the graphic where they cross off theories they eliminate, I think they actually will try to make some sort of explanation.

I'm not sure I agree with the explanation he settled on. I don't think it was strange weather or an avalanche. I now believe it was a UFO because of the strange lights being reported and the pictures of the sky that was taken. Even though you couldn't tell what the pictures were, it did look like some kind of light source. Also, they found the camera still around his neck.

I don't know if they said how far away the rocket testing site was but I guess if they heard a rocket blasting off, which would probably be pretty loud and not knowing what it was that might be scary enough to flee the tent. The wind was really strong and howling so I don't know if that would muffle the sound of the rocket blasting off or not. Again I don't know how far away the test site was from camp. I guess that could also explain the lights in the sky.

I'll go along with the eyes being eaten by fish the radiation on the clothes because they worked in a radiation type plant but the tongue being ripped out by its roots and the skull fracture and 20 broken ribs? I don't know.

Now with the new evidence it looks like a government cover-up. I believe the only thing the government would cover-up is a UFO or rocket testing. Just my 2 cents :-)

• Love 1
10 hours ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

I'm not sure I agree with the explanation he settled on. I don't think it was strange weather or an avalanche.

Yeah, I don't agree with that either.  Ultimately, it's kind of subjective, so everyone is going to see it their own way.  Of Josh, the woman (Teddy), and the other guy who went there, they all had different ideas on what had happened.

I still think the parachute mines offer the best explanation, even though they didn't mention them on the show (you seldom get a complete picture on a TV show, which has time constraints).  That one picture looked like an explosion in the air, obviously they were interested in the "lights".  Once the explosions got closer to the tent, they fled.  

The idea of a missile launch or a nuclear weapon is kind of ridiculous.  That's like a one time thing.  The mines would cause multiple explosions over time, which could cause them to flee, and could have later caused injuries.  It does sound like the Russians used the area for a number of different types of weapons testing, so even if they had found radiation it wouldn't have proven that it would have come from that day.  The missile part they found was from another year.

I hadn't hear that the tongue was "ripped out by the roots", just that it was missing.  Not saying you're wrong there, just saying I hadn't heard that.  Something like a wolf could have ripped the tongue out though, if they have those. 

To me, the missing eyes and tongue have always reminded me of the cattle mutilations phenomenon.  There was a show I saw once, they left a dead cow out in the field and took time lapse photography of it, and it showed how the bacteria or maggots or whatever it was ate out the eyes and tongue.  Now maybe that wouldn't have happened in Siberian temperatures, but I'm guessing it was something similar - Josh talked about rodents or other animals. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, rmontro said:

I still think the parachute mines offer the best explanation, even though they didn't mention them on the show (you seldom get a complete picture on a TV show, which has time constraints).  That one picture looked like an explosion in the air, obviously they were interested in the "lights".  Once the explosions got closer to the tent, they fled.  

It's too bad they didn't talk about this. I've never heard about the mines but I'm sure they are loud and at night probably look scary in the sky. If they didn't know what they were I'm sure that would be enough for them to flee. If I heard loud explosions and saw bright lights in the sky I would be scared shitless but would I be scared enough to run barefoot and with no coat?

I wish I could remember where I heard or read about the tongue but I can't, it just stuck with me because of the horror of it.

Agreed, the piece of the rocket wasn't from the right time period and the radiation from the tree core didn't have a high enough level to contaminate their clothes or drive them crazy.

I think it will remain unsolved and a mystery.

If it was a UFO in the sky that night the government will never admit it. I don't think they will admit to the parachute mines you mentioned either. They will come to a more natural conclusion with no explanation for the cover-up.   

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

If I heard loud explosions and saw bright lights in the sky I would be scared shitless but would I be scared enough to run barefoot and with no coat?

Depends on how close to the tent the explosions were, I'd imagine.  And the blast area from these mines can be very large.

When I first heard about this incident, I thought the broken bones might have been from someone falling out of the tree (they said someone had climbed one to get firewood).

The theory Teddy (the Russian woman) had about the military murdering the hikers didn't explain why the tents were cut open from the inside.  I guess she figured the soldiers did it.  But again, there were no other footprints supposedly.

I thought it was interesting when they explained about the stove not being lit, that they had not lit the stove the night before either.  It's hard to believe they could stay warm in those temperatures without it, but I guess when you're out in the cold that much, you get used to it after awhile.  

Interesting topic.