Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E10: I'll Fly Away

3 hours ago, OoogleEyes said:
  • I thought Teddy was in jail

He specifically said that he was granted the standard three days of bereavement leave. While he was out, his lawyer contacted the prison and confirmed that he will be released in three months.

• Love 1
(edited)

The CMT song was nice and it was good to see Rayna's family doing the tribute to her. I do love hearing the Stella sisters sing. 

Nice to see you Teddy even though I feel like they are trying to erase you from your children's lives. As everyone has said Deacon would have no legal tie to Daphne; she's Teddys daughter.  So if they wanted to get realistic with it she'd be going to live with Tandy because I'd assume that's who Teddy would appoint as her guardian until he got out of jail. Also even though they hardly mention it Maddie doesn't need a guardian because of the emancipation. I don't why they put her in the custody talk. Speaking of Maddie, does anyone huff out of a room more than her when she doesn't like what she hears after 2 sentences? When your 13 year old sister is more  mature than you Maddie, rethink your approach. As Daphne always is anyway. It would have been great to see her have scenes with her dad but alas The Chosen One gets to with "Teddy." I can't even get into that. 

Tandy is always focused on the business. I kind of love it. I do think she was using it to distract from losing her sister not scheming. She went over the business/girls talk with Teddy but she was honest with Deacon about her thoughts so she didn't lie to anyone. And yes Rayna went over business decisions with Deacon but he can't say he ever thought he'd be running it. 

Aww I love seeing Cadence walk and smile. That was a good moment for the younger people to focus on her and how short life can be. Now if they could focus on your parents Cadence I'd love this show a little more again. More stories for Avery and Juliette please! 

Edited by Bwill3133
Misspelling
  • Love 8

Well, the good thing is that they had Teddy say that he and Deacon would have to work out an arrangement when he's released, so we will see Teddy again, maybe for the rest of the season. I don't think Teddy's the type to just leave Daphne and Maddie and take off. He really does love his girls. 

Also, a nice thing I noted was Teddy mentioning Daphne's name before Maddie's a couple of times. After hearing so many "Maddie and Daphne" lines, or just Maddie's name, it was nice to hear Daphne being mentioned first. Maybe it's just a minor thing, but I enjoyed it. 

34 minutes ago, Bwill3133 said:

Tandy is always focused on the business. I kind of love it. I do think she was using it to distract from losing her sister not scheming

Yeah, I can agree with this. I've never been a huge fan of Tandy so I immediately went to scheming. I think Maddie got into my head with her line about Tandy/Teddy planning stuff behind Deacon's back. Damnit Maddie! That being said, the moment of Deacon catching Tandy in Rayna's closet was very well done. She seemed to genuinely compose herself and get right back into business so she wouldn't have to deal with talking about her sister's death, so she focused on the girls and the business. 

• Love 2
On 3.3.2017 at 2:18 PM, luna1122 said:

Speaking of My so called life...Jonathan Jackson could be Jared Leto. I've never quite understood why he isn't a bigger star. He's just as pretty and talented as Leto, or Leo, or a lot of cute Hollywood boys. Now at least if this show will give him a real plotline.

Young Aragorn, thats what came to my mind a few episodes ago ;-)

• Love 3

Didn't anyone think that Juliette was walking awfully good carrying a baby who has to be at least 20-25 pounds when she just lost her crutches- maybe 2-3 days?

my only issue with Maddie storyline is the Clay part. I would rather they turn the direction. It just doesn't fit.

again, great acting and I was an emotional disaster. Sure hope that next week is a little less sad.

• Love 2
On 3/2/2017 at 11:14 PM, missbonnie said:

I cried several times. I'm still on board with this show. One of the major complaints from the last season or so was that everything was done at breakneck speed and I am very happy that they've slowed things down. I myself thought that Juliette looked beautiful tonight. 

I thought it was still quite fast. Teddy's out of prison for three days for the funeral, and that includes a tribute concert? Too soon.

On 3/3/2017 at 0:52 PM, NorthstarATL said:

It makes zero sense that Rayna wouldn't have set up a plan. She was not an average person. She should have lawyers handling all that stuff. She and Deacon both traveled a great deal, the girls have different fathers, one in prison.

Plus Tandy wasn't local anymore, and Rayna had a stalker.

• Love 3

I have always found this show to be so disrespectful to non bio parents, especially when it comes to Teddie. Sure the man made some mistakes but I was never a fan of how they tossed him aside as if he was nothing the moment Maddie found out Deacon was her biological father. Teddie is the man that raised her, read her bedtime stories at night, checked the closets and underneath the bed for monsters, took her to doctor's appointments and helped with homework, etc. He knowingly raised another mans child and loved her as his own while Deacon was busy on one bender after another and the audacity of them to have Maddie call him Teddie! Like he meant nothing. I just about lost it. Even last week at the hospital I heard Daphne call Deacon dad..wtf? Did no one have a problem with that?

one thing Rayna always said was Teddie was a good father and I feel like the show tore him down in order to build Deacon up.

• Love 14
(edited)
On 2017-03-03 at 1:24 AM, bybrandy said:

But really, I mean, does anybody believe that Daphne wouldn't have made it through the song if Juliette had asked her to do it?  Daphne's a pro.   

Yep. No way would little Daphne have lost it partway through the song. I would have had far more sympathy for Maddie's inability to finish if it hadn't felt so damned predictable, and predictably about her own needs. AGAIN. (At the same time, I thought the song "Sanctuary" was quite lovely. I wouldn't be surprised if the most recent cast album release is highly successful. I thought Carmack's performance was nice, too, and Will's approach tasteful.)

Pretty sure it was Scarlett lying next to Daphne in the mourner montage.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 2

Maddie running around calling that father who raised her for 16+ years by his first name was appalling.  Teddy was the parent they both always had and instead Deacon who has been flip floppy and barely on the wagon they claim is the best father in the world and Teddy (who went to jail to save Rayna's business and keep a roof over the girls head) is the bad one. 

Where was Luke? He wasn't even mentioned. 

Scarlett suddenly being the most important family member to the girls and Rayna was odd. They both barely know her.  They've shown Maddie with a more strong relationship with Juliette than Scarlette. 

• Love 7
On 2017-03-03 at 1:11 PM, tennisgurl said:

Damn Tandy. I get that you want to make sure the business doesn't fall apart, but God dang, lady. Acting like Deacon was some kind of mess and couldn't be a guardian to the girls just a few days after his wife died? Like, give the poor guy a few days to sit in his room and cry before you start scheming and trying to shove legal documents at him. The love of his life just died!

THIS. Tandy isn't supposed to be Lamar in a dress, I don't think, but sometimes she doesn't seem much better to me.

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, Artsda said:

Maddie running around calling that father who raised her for 16+ years by his first name was appalling.  Teddy was the parent they both always had and instead Deacon who has been flip floppy and barely on the wagon they claim is the best father in the world and Teddy (who went to jail to save Rayna's business and keep a roof over the girls head) is the bad one. 

Where was Luke? He wasn't even mentioned. 

Scarlett suddenly being the most important family member to the girls and Rayna was odd. They both barely know her.  They've shown Maddie with a more strong relationship with Juliette than Scarlette. 

Yeah. I really hate the show for what they've done to the Teddy character. All for the sake to prop up Deacon. I think I've mentioned before that I watch the reruns on AXS and this past week they were on the season 1 finale and I'm almost happy when Deacon drunk after finding out Maddie was his starts fighting Teddy and screaming "you took my life!!!" And Teddy screams back "Maddie deserved better and so did Rayna" like damn, you go Teddy! But no Deacon is the best dad ever. Ugh. 

• Love 3

I'd be thrilled to watch The Daphne Show and have Maddie take a back seat. I've had enough tv teens with bad attitudes to last me a lifetime. Maybe the writers should have Maddie doing some volunteer work so she can see that it's not always about her.

• Love 5
20 hours ago, slasherboy said:

During the montage of people mourning/crying, who was laying in bed with Daphne?  I know I'm wrong, but I swear it was Gunner.  I'm wrong, right?

Scarlett. They showed Gunnar sleeping (I think) on the sofa and then Scarlett in bed. It was likely designed to make us think Scarlett and Gunnar slept together, but then they showed her hand extended and Daphne was next to her,

5 hours ago, Aulty said:

Young Aragorn, thats what came to my mind a few episodes ago ;-)

Um. No. Just no. I adore JJ, but he is most definitely NOT an action-adventure movie star. And he couldn't  hold a candle to Viggo.

4 hours ago, dcalley said:

I thought it was still quite fast. Teddy's out of prison for three days for the funeral, and that includes a tribute concert? Too soon.

It wasn't a tribute concert, it was the CMT Awards, which was already scheduled.  It was just a tribute for Rayna at the CMT Awards.  And I think they had already established that the awards show was just a couple days away after Rayna's accident.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, piratewench said:

It wasn't a tribute concert, it was the CMT Awards, which was already scheduled.  It was just a tribute for Rayna at the CMT Awards.  And I think they had already established that the awards show was just a couple days away after Rayna's accident.

Thanks for the correction.

Thanks to everybody who answered that it was Scarlet laying next to Daphne.

Why did Juliette hand Cadence off to that guy (can't remember his name) instead of Will?  That child has grown up knowing Will and he should have been holding her.

I think the reason Scarlet was so involved during the wake was because she's related, by blood, to Deacon and Maddie and maybe that's the reason?

Hell, I don't know.  I don't know anything.

I think the reason Scarlet was so involved during the wake was because she's related, by blood, to Deacon and Maddie and maybe that's the reason?

That was the reason for her presence, but I think the reason she was taking care of everything is because she is the responsible one when the shit hits the fan. Some people are terrible in a crisis. Other people get calm and organized and put everyone else ahead of them to make sure that everything else is okay. Scarlett has made some highly questionable choices in her personal life, but she was the one being an adult and a proper host to all of the guests. And that's not necessarily a knock on Tandy, Deacon, or Teddy. Like I said, everyone needs to deal with death in their own way and when your wife/ex-wife/sister dies, it is not your job to take care of guests. Short of getting violent, I give immediate family a pass on the funeral day. Do what you need to do and don't give fuck about what other people think on that day!

• Love 7
18 hours ago, Sake614 said:

Um. No. Just no. I adore JJ, but he is most definitely NOT an action-adventure movie star. And he couldn't  hold a candle to Viggo.

Really? How come?  I could see him in that role. He's not the skinny kid he was a few years ago, imo.

• Love 1
(edited)

I always liked pre-Peggy Teddy so if they bring him back I hope they don't make him into a jerk again.

Seems a little mean to say this but Maisy Stella has a stronger voice than Lennon.  Maisy enunciates where Lennon is a mushmouth.  They both have the gravelly thing going but Maisy makes it work. 

I loved that Daphne stepped up and got her mom's song going again.  She's becoming the cool one of the two sisters and needs a bigger role.

Edited by limecoke
  • Love 10
On March 3, 2017 at 10:58 PM, KaveDweller said:

I think they said Teddy adopted her as short cut for explaining the whole backstory. The point they wanted to get across was that he's her legal father, and I guess they thought the word adoption would be easier for people to understand then getting into him being on her birth certificate and all that.  You're right that he didn't adopt her. It would have been public record that he wasn't her biological father and everyone would have known what that meant. Plus to adopt, wouldn't Deacon have had to give up his parental rights?

But even last year when Maddie sued for emancipation they mentioned Teddy being her legal father and he was the one mentioned on the lawsuit. He even made an appearance I think and was upset about it.

I was at a graveside service that followed a church funeral where it was pouring rain. They had a tent up around the grave, but only a few people fit there so most of us were huddled under umbrellas outside of it.

I have also been to a funeral where the entire service was outside at the grave site, but that time it was sunny.

I did a graveside in a small country cemetery during an ice storm with high winds so everybody practically stood on my toes to hear me. That could be effectively dramatic for a tv show and I give it freely. I hope it doesn't happen to me again. 

1 hour ago, limecoke said:

I always liked pre-Peggy Teddy so if they bring him back I hope they don't make him into a jerk again.

Seems a little mean to say this but Maisy Stella has a stronger voice than Lennon.  Maisy enunciates where Lennon is a mushmouth.  They both have the gravelly thing going but Maisy makes it work. 

I loved that Daphne stepped up and got her mom's song going again.  She's becoming the cool one of the two sisters and needs a bigger role.

I would love to see a story thread go in the direction of Teddy and Deacon co-fathering Daphne when Teddy is out of jail. 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 3/5/2017 at 5:00 PM, limecoke said:

Although I like Lennon's singing overall, her voice cracks so much that it sounds kind of painful to me sometimes.  Is that because of starting so young without proper training?  I often wonder how long her singing voice will hold out. 

Edited by AnnaRose
  • Love 1

I agree about Maisy vs. Lennon singing.  I find that I really struggle sometimes to understand what Lennon is saying (singing) and much less so with Maisy.  Lennon does have a pretty sound to her voice though....

I may be in the minority, but I'm really hoping they forget about Teddy getting out of prison in 3 months.  I'd like for him to just go away quietly so that Deacon can be the dad.  I don't think I've heard about Eric Close being in town since he filmed 510, so who knows.

9 hours ago, piratewench said:

I agree about Maisy vs. Lennon singing.  I find that I really struggle sometimes to understand what Lennon is saying (singing) and much less so with Maisy.  Lennon does have a pretty sound to her voice though....

I may be in the minority, but I'm really hoping they forget about Teddy getting out of prison in 3 months.  I'd like for him to just go away quietly so that Deacon can be the dad.  I don't think I've heard about Eric Close being in town since he filmed 510, so who knows.

How many episodes are left in the season? They could move things slowly and only have 1-2 months go by in the time we have left.

1 hour ago, KaveDweller said:

How many episodes are left in the season? They could move things slowly and only have 1-2 months go by in the time we have left.

There are 22 episodes scheduled for this season.  Next week is episode 11.  Then we get a break before we get the back 11.  I wonder if they'll pick up right from where we left off or if they'll do a time jump. I would think a time jump would make sense if they're having a long break. If Teddy isn't going to come back, I wish they would have said that he has like...a year left or something.  Otherwise, if he's released, they're going to have to do character acrobatics or plot point cartwheels to justify the girls staying with Deacon. 

9 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

There are 22 episodes scheduled for this season.  Next week is episode 11.  Then we get a break before we get the back 11.  I wonder if they'll pick up right from where we left off or if they'll do a time jump. I would think a time jump would make sense if they're having a long break. If Teddy isn't going to come back, I wish they would have said that he has like...a year left or something.  Otherwise, if he's released, they're going to have to do character acrobatics or plot point cartwheels to justify the girls staying with Deacon. 

Marshall has said there will be a time jump equal to the length of the hiatus.  Not sure when the show comes back, but I've heard 2 1/2 to 3 months.  They are continuing production, so I assume that could change, at the whim of CMT.

Maddie doesn't need justification to stay with Deacon since she's emancipated, Daphne on the other hand does. Though it would be easy enough if they're not bringing back Teddy (and I'm not sure what role he would fulfill) to just have Daphne coming back from her week with Teddy or headed off for a visit with him. We wouldn't have to see him for him to continue to exist in Daphne's life. And Teddy and Deacon could come to an agreement to share custody, or Teddy could have custody and Deacon visitation rights. 

ON 3/3/2017 AT 10:35 AM,  LADY CALYPSO SAID: 

Daphne's made of some pretty steely stuff (and sunshine and rainbows.) The way she stepped up to that mic and just started singing a cappella blew me away. And she killed it too. Love that kid. 

Yes. This! and BUCKY. (sniffle)

• Love 2
On 3/5/2017 at 5:21 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

That was the reason for her presence, but I think the reason she was taking care of everything is because she is the responsible one when the shit hits the fan.

I think both were true.  Back before Scarlett got all weird, she and Deacon were extremely close. This reminded me of that Scarlett, a person I actually liked.

Like has been said many times by many posters, the custody thing was annoying.  Teddy is still Daphne's father, and he hasn't signed away his parental rights.  He should have had more of a say than he had.  In terms of Maddie, the thing that bugged me the most is that the writers wanted to have it both ways.  We;ve been told for months on end that she's 17, and then all of a sudden, this whole custody thing is like she's suddenly 7.  She will be a minor for probably six months, and then she will have reached legal adulthood.  All of this carrying on seemed overdone.  I know there are legal issues involved, but with a 17 year-old, I'd think something could be worked out without all of the hand-wringing.  The whole line about the girls being separated was hokey.  That's a line that you'd write if the girls were like 10 and 13.  Plus, even though Teddy and Deacon aren't necessarily each other's favorite person, they have spent plenty of time functioning as parents in the other's parental orbit.  They wouldn't separate them to begin with.

I agree wholeheartedly that the scene of Bucky crying was, without a doubt, the saddest of the show.

If we descend into all Maddie all the time next week, that will likely be it for me.