Type keyword(s) to search

Season 24: Speculation, Rumors & Red Herrings

• Start Topic

Looks like another plausible option could be actress Cheryl Texiera, who was on Girl Meets World (Shawn Hunter's love interest/Mom of the blond generation 2 Shawn Hunter girl) and also the first season of SYTYCD. Though googling her SYTYCD audition turns up a little bit less than impressive skills, and a claim that at that point she was a small town waitress with only 2 years dance experience. (I'm guessing the SYTYCD bar was a little lower S1). So not that big a ringer and not that well known, the only thing making me think it's possible is the Disney/ABC connection.

5 hours ago, crowceilidh said:

If there's a property brother, I want it to be Jonathan not Drew.  Although he always strikes me as having more ego than Drew, so that could be a drawback.

I just can't stand Keo's dancing.  He duckwalks and it shows in his lines.  I also think he hasn't learned very quickly about how to be a public figure -- dunno whether he's up against something awful like racist attitudes that make it hard, or whether he just "doesn't get it", but he seems super stressed a lot of the time and lost.

So glad for Allison's season off.  

I agree with you on both points.  I would much prefer Jonathan Scott to Drew.  Jonathan seems more light-hearted and fun, whereas Drew takes himself a bit too seriously.  But, even though both are very athletic, Drew is the one who most excels in athletic endeavors.  According to wikipedia, in addition to being a black belt in karate, he has a 43-inch vertical jump, and has twice played in the NBA All-Star Celebrity Games, where he won the award for "Best of Sport".  While he may be the better "natural" dancer of the two brothers, he's not the most entertaining one. 

I'm also not happy about Keo's return.  His dancing, especially his lines, are not pleasing to my eye.  His choreography as a pro was boring, and he seemed like a poor instructor.  

• Love 1

This could be shaping up to be one of most dance-talented female celeb casts ever. Normani is a huge ringer in the vein of Zendaya (minus the awkwardness of being paired with Val at only 16), Simon Biles is Simon Biles, Nancy Kerrigan should be quite good, and potentially this Heather Morris has a dance pedigree that is hard to match. Even the Real Housewife is supposedly a singer too, so she should have at least a modicum of rhythm and musicality.

On the guy's side, so far we have Mr. T, Chris Kattan, and maybe a Property Bro, the Bachelor Nick, and Shemar Moore. Things that make you go hmmm...

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
7 hours ago, kitcloudkicker said:

What do we think of this rumor? Courtney from Pure is claiming there might be a "star" who was once a contestant on So You Think You Can Dance, claiming them as the biggest ringer there's ever been. Not necessarily best known for SYTYCD but had appeared.

The only person I can think of that might match this description would be Heather Morris of Glee, who was cut in the Vegas rounds of, I think, season 2. I can't think of anyone else who has an association with that show that could claim any sort of career outside of "professional dancer."

Maybe, maaaaybe you could call someone like Domenic Sandoval a YouTuber, but dude also just won a dance Emmy last year. So I don't think so. (Fun fact about Dom, he seems to be currently dating former DWTS contenstant Bethany Mota.)

Any other obscure SYTYCD contestants who have gotten themselves any sort of noteworthy recognition as an actor, singer or social media star?

It's definitely Heather Morris. Same source just tweeted a Single Ladies reference, and Heather was a backup dancer for Beyonce on her world tour, and a bunch of media appearances for Single Ladies. She was also brought in to teach the Single Ladies dance to the Glee cast way back when and it was how she ended up getting cast on the show.

I liked Heather Morris on Glee. I think Brittany became my favorite character. But geez, is she overqualified for this show. The only upside is that she'd be the one to give Simone Biles a run for the mirror ball trophy. 

Remember when people were up in arms about women not being able to win on this show? It kinda feels like the tptb are overcompensating.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, McManda said:

Remember when people were up in arms about women not being able to win on this show? It kinda feels like the tptb are overcompensating.

It does kinda feel like they're overcompensating here tbh. Perhaps they thought it would be "fairer" or something if there were many ringers among the females, so as to cut down on complaining about an obvious frontrunner?

Edited by katha
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

I would totally be on board with Shemar Moore. I think he is too big to do the show, but you never know. He was on a top ten show, so he doesn't need the exposure. 

Even though he was on a hit show, he was very much part of an ensemble.  Most of those actors that leave those type of show get typecast for years afterwards.  DWTS would at least help break that mold a little bit.  It'd be no different from any of the CSI or NCIS actors showing up on something like this after leaving.

Well, Bonner Bolton (that's going to be fun to type all season) will certainly be bringing the pretty. If the pairing speculation is right, then Sharna will have another partner who overcame a life threatening injury within their sport....

I feel preemptively sad for whichever male pro has to shepherd Charo around for a week or two. Maybe Mark and Artem both are sitting out...and we'll see Corky again lol.

I have a bad feeling Lindsay might get stuck with Nick.

**I posted a few minutes too early. Free Agent Running Back, Rashad Jennings (formerly of the NY Giants) has supposedly been cast. Interesting because he was one of the very first names out into ether....pretty much due to self-promotion I think. So barring crazy last minute machinations (or any of the names being false confirmations), we are one male celeb, and one male pro from a full cast.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
2 hours ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

Well, Bonner Bolton (that's going to be fun to type all season) will certainly be bringing the pretty. If the pairing speculation is right, then Sharna will have another partner who overcame a life threatening injury within their sport....

I don't know who that guy is, but I googled him and hot dang he is gorgeous! We all know who Sharna's partner is, I guess.

• Love 1

So this Heather Morris was a backup dancer for Beyoncé, used as a choreographer for Glee until Ryan Murphy created a character for her where she was lead dancer, and auditioned for SYTYCD. Why is she on this show?

• Love 3

Retroactively over-compensating for casting Simone Biles? Nancy Kerrigan is going to be a beast. Normani is an uber-ringer, and Heather Morris is the ringeriest ringer whoever rang (non Riker division) on DWTS. The level on display amongst the females from week one could be awesome.

And yet if Bonner can dance and isn't a loathsome personality on screen....he's at least making the finale lol.

• Love 4
43 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

So this Heather Morris was a backup dancer for Beyoncé, used as a choreographer for Glee until Ryan Murphy created a character for her where she was lead dancer, and auditioned for SYTYCD. Why is she on this show?

She wasn't/isn't a choreographer. She taught a couple actors a dance someone else choreographed and was cast in a role they were looking to fill. As far as I know, she has no experience choreographing anything. Which isn't to say she isn't obviously overqualified still, but.

• Love 2

New stuff from E: http://www.etonline.com/tv/211588_kym_johnson_returning_for_dwts_season_24_celebrity_pairings_revealed/

They have Mark as OUT. (Good news for Artem fans?) They're also adding Rashad Jennings (running back). Did we have that one already or is that new?

They've also got some pairings (but not all)

• Confirming Sasha/Simone (yay!)
  • Val/Normani (already spoiled) 
  • Keo/Charo (didn't we already see this with Chaka Kahn???) 
  • Bachelor Nick/Peta
  • Bonner/Sharna
  • Housewife Erika/Gleb
  • Love 2

I'll give them credit on two (unconfirmed) accounts -

1 - the male celeb eye candy is strong this season if the cast Drew Scott, Shemar Moore, this Bonner guy, and Bachelor Nick (yeah, he's the bachelor and kinda dumb and dramatic, but I'd be lying if I said he wasn't physically attractive).

and 2 - with all the female ringers, if he's back Artem has a good chance of not being on old lady duty. (Sorry, Keo. But it makes me wonder even more why they brought him back again.)

This season might not suck after all.

Edited by McManda
spelling is hard
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, McManda said:

I'll give them credit on two (unconfirmed) accounts -

1 - the male celeb eye candy is strong this season if the cast Drew Scott, Shemar Moore, this Bonner guy, and Bachelor Nick (yeah, he's the bachelor and kinda dumb and dramatic, but I'd be lying if I said he wasn't physically attractive).

and 2 - with all the female ringers, if he's back Artem has a good chance of not being on old lady duty. (Sorry, Keo. But it makes me wonder even more why they brought him back again.)

This season might not suck after all.

If the E article is accurate, they've got Bachelor Nick, Bullrider Bonner, Chris Kattan, Mr. T, and Rashad Jennings confirmed. Which gives us 5 and leaves only one more unspoiled male spot for a Property Brother or someone else. I still think this Shemar was way too hyped about his news for it to be DWTS related, though who knows. The 6th male might come out of nowhere. 

And if the above pairings are true, and the spoiled women are true, Maks and Artem are going to end up with either Heather or Nancy, who both should be good. My guess is Heather/Maks and Nancy/Artem. Heather feels wasted on Maks but here we are. And Nancy/Artem seems likely to be entertaining, though they might butt heads. My memory of Nancy includes her being kind of a bitch about Oksana Baiul when she lost to her in the Olympics (waiting for Oksana to come out for the medal ceremony, I have a strong memory of a microphone picking up Nancy saying something along the lines of, "what are we waiting for, she's just going to come out here and cry again," in a rather snotty tone.) But it's been a long time, maybe she's mellowed. 

8 minutes ago, kitcloudkicker said:

My guess is Heather/Maks and Nancy/Artem

PureDWTS has "confirmed" Maks/Heather, but I'm not sure what their source is. I'd agree that it kind feels like a wasted pairing, but maybe it'll make it so Maks doesn't check out of the season when he realizes his partner isn't going to win.

Nancy Kerrigan is hardly the old lady/lost cause Artem usually gets, so I'm okay with it. She's an athlete, she's likely got some dance  training, and she's still relatively young. She's also less likely to be a basket case. He's definitely done worse.

And yeah, Shemar Moore is probably too big of a get, but he's still pretty. Though honestly, if I were a celeb I might troll my fans with vague DWTS rumors because ... why not? Especially if I wasn't doing anything else.

Even though I should know better, Mark being OUT is so disappointing to me. It was probably his decision again, as I think the show would make room for him if he wanted on.

I wish all of the pros who know they won't be on/don't plan to be on a particular season would give their fans a heads up (like Tony did) so those like me don't have to waste ourselves hoping.

• Love 1

Wasn't Mark disappointed about last season and tweeted about how great his choreography was in a kinda defensive way? (sorry if my memory is failing - I haven't paid close attention to the show in a while, but I'm getting interested now because I want to get my mind off the news 24/7).  I would think Mark would like to win one more time, after such a long time since his last trophy and with Derek getting so danged many of the things.  Speaking of the dev... I mean, speaking of whom, I wonder if Julianne-as-judge is one of those perks that Derek gets and therefore, we won't see her this season? Here's hoping.

• Keo/Charo (didn't we already see this with Chaka Kahn???) 

If this is true, it'll be one verrrry interesting pairing...just the accents alone! LOL.  I don't think Charo is anything like Chaka Kahn.  Charo is more of a live wire though at 65, I don't know how much coochi-coochi she's got left LOL!  I think it'll be funny watching Keo try to handle this situation.

And Nancy/Artem seems likely to be entertaining, though they might butt heads. My memory of Nancy includes her being kind of a bitch about Oksana Baiul when she lost to her in the Olympics (waiting for Oksana to come out for the medal ceremony, I have a strong memory of a microphone picking up Nancy saying something along the lines of, "what are we waiting for, she's just going to come out here and cry again," in a rather snotty tone.) But it's been a long time, maybe she's mellowed. 

I do recall Nancy reputed to being snotty back then but I also recall there was alot a backbiting by many of the strong personalities she was competing against.  Two sides to every story I guess.  I always liked her.  She's still skating at charity events (pics on her twitter  https://twitter.com/NancyAKerrigan/ ) as recently as this past weekend.  If she goes to Artem, hopefully he'll be happy and show a little warmth.  

6 hours ago, calipiano81 said:

Even though I should know better, Mark being OUT is so disappointing to me. It was probably his decision again, as I think the show would make room for him if he wanted on.

I wish all of the pros who know they won't be on/don't plan to be on a particular season would give their fans a heads up (like Tony did) so those like me don't have to waste ourselves hoping.

Agreed! He's been posting alot of GIFs so it seems something is up (I'm guessing).  

4 hours ago, Morrigan said:

Wasn't Mark disappointed about last season and tweeted about how great his choreography was in a kinda defensive way? (sorry if my memory is failing - I haven't paid close attention to the show in a while, but I'm getting interested now because I want to get my mind off the news 24/7).  I would think Mark would like to win one more time, after such a long time since his last trophy and with Derek getting so danged many of the things.  Speaking of the dev... I mean, speaking of whom, I wonder if Julianne-as-judge is one of those perks that Derek gets and therefore, we won't see her this season? Here's hoping.

I think he was disappointed S22 that Paige didn't win but he knows how the show works and Nyle was the designated one for that season.  I've never seen him boast on twitter about his choreography though he often expressed how proud he was of his partner for doing whatever dance they'd just done.   I don't know if another MBT is all that meaningful to him anymore.   In the past few years, the show is so manipulated, that it's debatable whether coming in 1st is a "win" or an "award".   Also, a MBT isn't meaningful in the world of real dance competition.  The value of continuing on the show for him is more of a way to show his creativity (particularly to producers looking for a choreographer)  and to keep his name in the public view for his music. 

All JMO of course.

• Love 3

Nancy Kerrigan was one of the least natural movers ever among top figure skaters.  She was often described as graceful, but I think that must have been because of her considerable beauty.  She was also dull as dishwater as a personality.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, Harry24 said:

Nancy Kerrigan was one of the least natural movers ever among top figure skaters.  She was often described as graceful, but I think that must have been because of her considerable beauty.  She was also dull as dishwater as a personality.

Still a step up for Artem (in terms of perceived ability).

• Love 3

I can't even be annoyed about Val/Normani because of the level of ringery ringerness this season. ... Just kidding. I'm annoyed. 

If the rumors are true, here's to hoping someone as laid-back as Heather can survive Maks. Also, here's to hoping Shemar rumors are true, and that he'll dance every routine shirtless. 

1 hour ago, McManda said:

Still a step up for Artem (in terms of perceived ability).

Yeah, if she gets Artem, that's a good partner for him and I'd be interested to see what he does with her. Because the female side is so stacked with super ringers this season, Nancy only comes in a distant fourth when it comes to perceived advantages, but she will still have things going for her. She seems in pretty good shape for her age, she does have a background when it comes to movement and performance and presumably has discipline, work ethic and knows how to deal with coaching. That's a solid foundation.

Artem showed promise with Leah Thompson until it all somewhat imploded in the second part of the season, he did great with Patti and handled Maureen, who was both very fragile and a headcase, pretty well. Mischa was a bust, but that wasn't his fault, she would have been a bust with anyone. All in all, he's been a solid pro on the American version so far IMO. If this pairing materializes, I'm looking forward to it.  Kerrigan wasn't ever the most graceful skater, but she wasn't terrible in that aspect either. And I admit, I always had a bit of a soft spot for her because the way the media treated her was rather nasty. First she gets assaulted and then she gets blamed and ridiculed for not reacting to her assault in the "right way" or whatever.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Ripley68 said:

Nancy Kerrigan always struck me as a stuck up, self-entitled snob. She had those nice long lines to make her moves "look" graceful, but I never cared for her routines.

Maybe Artem can work with that. He has very long and fluid lines himself, it might be easier for her to mimic.

6 hours ago, katha said:

Kerrigan wasn't ever the most graceful skater, but she wasn't terrible in that aspect either. And I admit, I always had a bit of a soft spot for her because the way the media treated her was rather nasty. First she gets assaulted and then she gets blamed and ridiculed for not reacting to her assault in the "right way" or whatever.

She worked a lifetime for her Olympic dream, gets whacked in the knee and has an "ugly cry" moments later sitting on the floor thinking her dream was just killed. How many thousands of times was that "whyyyy" news clip replayed (and likely will again a few more times on DWTS).   Couch dwellers sure could be judgy even back then without the internet and social media.

Anyway, in the "Dreamy While It Lasted" category, Shemar announced his big news and it's not DWTS. 

• Love 1

With all the female ringers this season, I think the real competition will be with their pros and which ones will be able to capitalize on their ringer-partner's previous training and experience and which won't know what to do with what they've got.

(edited)
5 hours ago, vavera4ka said:

Maybe Artem can work with that. He has very long and fluid lines himself, it might be easier for her to mimic.

Artem might be my favorite standard dancer on this show. He reminds me a bit of Jonathan or Nick Kosovich with his lines and posture. Generally the standard dances don't get a lot of love because they're not flashy and fun like Latin dances are, but I find myself looking forward to Artem's standard dances. So pretty.

Edited by McManda
Spelling + mobile = typos
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, McManda said:

Artem might be my favorite standard dancer on this show. He reminds me a bit of Jonathan or Nick Kosovich with his lines and posture. Generally the standard dances don't get a lot of live because they're not flashy and fun like Latin dances are, but I find myself looking forward to Artem's standard dances. So pretty.

Yes! I still go to his Quickstep from SYTYCD when I want to show someone how gorgeous and classy that dance can be. Only one negative thing about that one - too short lol

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, vavera4ka said:

Yes! I still go to his Quickstep from SYTYCD when I want to show someone how gorgeous and classy that dance can be. Only one negative thing about that one - too short lol

I love the rehearsal footage of that dance when his partner is like, it's so fast and I get caught up in the choreo and baby Artem just shrugs and says he "gets carried away because what (they) did today is really easy". It makes me chuckle.

I keep going back to the foxtrot he did with Peta to Meghan Trainor's "Gonna Lose You". But I'll even go back to some of his dances with his celeb partners. I loved his Foxtrot with Maureen, for example. 

I wonder about his dance background sometimes. Like, did he focus more on the standard dances? Does he enjoy them more? He's good with Latin dances too, but he's always seemed a bit more reserved and precise with them to me, kind of like he couldn't shake the frame of his standard training. The difference really stood out to me in the tribute to La La Land they did last season ... everyone else is very loose and free and he's not quite so much.

Anyway, to bring this back to relevancy ... kind of... and not just be a whole post gushing about Artem's lines ... I think he and Nancy Kerrigan would make a pretty striking pairing. I'd definitely look forward to watching them dance.

And at least this season there are so many ringers that it almost makes things a bit more fair. There's not just one person that stands out like Laurie did last season. If you stack the ringers together I'm less mad about them casting people that are vastly overqualified for the show.

I feel like Nancy has mid season boot written all over her. She'll probably be good but not spectacular in terms of her ability. Plus there are some big personalities on show this season and it won't be hard for her to get lost in the shuffle if she is as dull as people have said she was. If Artem has her I think she'll be pretty identical to Lea, weak at latin good at ballroom, it'll be interesting though as Artem has never had an athlete in all of DWTS US and UK. She'll last a while but I can't see her getting past around week 6-7. Her age will set her back as well. Simone, Heather and Normani may all make the final unless David Ross and this Bonnar Bolton fellow can dance.

• Love 1
(edited)

Is it bad that I don't mind we have a lot of ringers? I only get mad of Ringers clearly a ringer advantage of one to the rest. Then I find the show boring. Even if I'm rooting for the ringer like I was with Laurie last season. I wanted her to win but by the third to last week, I knew she was probably going to be the winner and I became bored. I'm excited for this season, we are in for some good dancing! 

Edited by WhosThatGirl
9 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Is it bad that I don't mind we have a lot of ringers? I only get mad of Ringers clearly a ringer advantage of one to the rest. Then I find the show boring. Even if I'm rooting for the ringer like I was with Laurie last season. I wanted her to win but by the third to last week, I knew she was probably going to be the winner and I became bored. I'm excited for this season, we are in for some good dancing! 

Before seeing the other confirmed/speculated celebs, I was wondering if there was a chance they were going for a season full of ringers, which I think would've been cool. But then I saw Mr T and that thought was nixed.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Uke said:

I'm not sure why it didn't quote, but I'm commenting on Uke mentioning Nancy still skating in charity-related shows. She's also skating in those televised shows that usually air on either ABC or NBC, on (I think) Sunday afternoons during the fall/winter, which are sponsored by, like, Musselman's applesauce & at least sometimes have the pro skaters performing with their children. I saw Nancy skating in 1 a few weeks ago with her 2 sons & her daughter.

We taped that gymnastics/figure skating exhibition for a niece of ours who is in junior gymnastics, BW Manilowe. It was pretty good, and you could really tell how much it meant to Nancy to be performing with her children.

What is blowing my mind at the moment is how the order of elimination is going to go this season after Keo/Charro go first (I'm assuming). It feels absolutely wide open. Maybe Chris Kattan might be in danger of an early boot, comedians don't have the greatest record on this show and he seems pretty far away from DWTS's target demo. The Real Housewife might struggle too if she's not a competent dancer right of the bat.

Bonner is by the far the least well known....but he potentially has Sharna, the looks, and the backstory to go far. The two male athletes aren't widely well-known so it's hard to say where they might fall in the pecking order if they end up being bad, middling, or good dancers. Heather and Normani are ringers of the highest level but maybe they won't have a ton of broad based appeal like what the two Olympians (Nancy and Simone) could have. They also may have C Bros as partners and all the pros and cons that come with that. 

Mr. T. could be a huge wildcard. He's got Kim coming back after an extended absence and all the nostalgia in the world. It wouldn't shock me if he pulls a Tommy Chong and lasts until the top 6 or 5. And finally you've got Nick the Bachelor who could be absolutely terrible and still outlast the first 3 or 4 eliminations...

Of course all of this speculation could get blown up in about eight hours if any of these speculated pairings end up being a bust.

(edited)

I don't see Nancy a contender. I know she is close to my age, so she must be around 50. She definitely isn't in the shape that Simone is in, so there is really no comparison. Plus, she used to be batshit crazy, and unless she mellowed, Artem is going to get another basket case. Poor Artem, I was hoping he would get one of the young ringers. If Emma is on, she will probably get an old man as well.

Does anyone else here think Sharna is way past her expiration date? Go away already and give her partners to Emma!

Edited by boyznkatz

When Nancy Kerrigan was skating regularly in competitions and shows, she could only do one style - "pretty" and soft.  She was completely uncomfortable doing anything new or out of the box.  I can see her doing a lovely waltz, but I can see shutting down and getting pouty about anything out of her comfort zone, and Artem getting all Russian Cranky in a hurry.

• Love 1

Wow, what a group.  Mostly a lot of Who's? and has beens.  Misogynist Bachelor Nick, aging Charo, and of course a Real Housewife who's latest dance single is called "How Many Fucks".  Way to keep it classy, ABC. They're so desperate for viewers that maybe they'll bring Tonya Harding on to punch Nancy in the face.  Well, at least you can bet that Cubs fans will keep Ross on until the finals, even if his dancing resembles the mating dance of the Arctic Beetle. 

• Love 8