Type keyword(s) to search

Season 24: Speculation, Rumors & Red Herrings

• Start Topic

I figured a week out from the GMA reveal, we're a little overdue this kind of thread.

This is the most comprehensive list I can come up with up of people with any kind of buzz....as it stands today, of course.

Barry Weiss (of Storage Wars)

Billy Bush (Uggh)

Chris Kattan (from SNL and the Iconic Roxbury Guys sketches)**

David Ross (Retired member of the WS Champion Chicago Cubs)--This could be a spot for an alternative Baseball person too

Drew (or maybe Jonathan) Scott from Property Brothers

Geoffey Zakarian (Celebrity Chef/Food Network Personality)

Mr T. (Pitier of Fools, and the A Team)**

Nick Viall (the Bachelor always has to be on this list)*

Ricky Shroder (Veteran Actor: NYPD Blue among other things)

Shemar Moore (Actor from Criminal Minds and Young and the Restless)

Thomas Sanders (Youtuber)

Victor Cruz (Former NY Giant NFLer, known for his Salsa dancing TD celebrations)

Ashley Benson (or maybe another cast member from Pretty Little Liars)++

Christy Carlson Romano (Former kid/teen actress from Kim Possible, someone in the rumor mill from previous DWTS seasons)

Erika Jayne (Real Housewife of Beverly Hills/Singer)**

Gracie Gold (2018 US Winter Olympic hopeful in Figure Skating)

Madison Pettis (Actress from the Fosters/Disney Channel)

Nancy Kerrigan (US Figure Skating royalty)**

Normani Kordei (Member of Fifth Harmony)**

Simone Biles (Best Female Gymnast in US History)**

-Double Asterisks mean they've been confirmed online various places (E!, People, Entertainment Weekly, Variety etc.)

-Double Plus Signs means they aren't in the cast

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
Want to keep a running tally for a few days...

A hint I noticed from Tom's Twitter (and I'm going to try to do this without getting political, which if you've seen Tom's Twitter is a bit hard, BUT.) Someone replied to his post about the cast announcement with something along the lines of, "Haven't watched in years because of (contestants connected to a specific political party)" and he replied "It's safe to come back *winkyface*"

Which makes me think we're safe from Billy Bush. Well that and the fact that Deena Katz organized the LA women's march, which makes me think she'd draw the line at the specific scandal surrounding Bush.

I understand not liking a particular celebrity for any number of nitpicky reasons, but boycotting the entire show because of one person's political affiliation seems silly. I can't think of anyone right now other than Rick Perry who I even knew what their politics were. Pfft.

• Love 3

Eh, everyone has the right to boycott as they please, whether its the contestant's politics or something other than that.

I refuse to support any show that has any of the Kardashians on, so I didn't watch Kim or Rob.  I have no interest in supporting the Palins, so didn't watch when Bristol was on.  I remember one of the duck dynasty kids was on.

45 minutes ago, Isle Of Why said:

I understand not liking a particular celebrity for any number of nitpicky reasons, but boycotting the entire show because of one person's political affiliation seems silly. I can't think of anyone right now other than Rick Perry who I even knew what their politics were. Pfft.

Geraldo and Bristol Palin would be the other ones that come to mind, with Sadie as a tangential because of her grandfather. But people "boycott" the show for all sorts of reasons, including "celebrities who are too young" and "dances that are too sexy" so it's not all that surprising to me, the notable thing was Toms response. From an interview Deena and Rob gave before it was announced Rob was leaving, they said they were looking for "feel good" participants, which beyond potentially divisive political choices makes me hope for less of the "controversial" Real Housewife-esque contestants as well.

• Love 1

Often these types of contestants also use DWTS to push a certain agenda and that can get obnoxious beyond just the usual "I'm doing this for promo and to energize my career" stuff that everyone does. The religious crowd peddles certain narratives about "family values" and gender norms, for example. The whole controversy and grudge voting surrounding Bristol Palin was clearly at least partly political in nature. Various disgraced politicians wanting a "redemption narrative" come to mind as well. It can get very self-serving and distasteful. Taking myself, I liked Sadie for example, but the blatant way her family was pushing this "good wholesome girl" narrative and the all-around controlling vibe they were going for (and the way the show colluded with that) was very, very off-putting for me.

• Love 1

Multiple sources are confirming Mr. T and Simone Biles as the first two celebrity cast members.

Well, that pretty much eliminates any suspense for this season. Barring injury or them giving her to Keo or Alan....Simone has this in the bag just like Laurie did from day one.

• Love 1

Rumors are flying in from left and right.

Nancy Kerrigan, A Property Brother or Storage Wars person (Barry?), and someone from PLL (that would fit the Ashley Benson early buzz...maybe paired up with a returning Mark). Also a member of Fifth Harmony (my money would be on either Normani or Lauren Jauregui)...

11 hours ago, kitcloudkicker said:

Geraldo and Bristol Palin would be the other ones that come to mind, with Sadie as a tangential because of her grandfather. But people "boycott" the show for all sorts of reasons, including "celebrities who are too young" and "dances that are too sexy" so it's not all that surprising to me, the notable thing was Toms response. From an interview Deena and Rob gave before it was announced Rob was leaving, they said they were looking for "feel good" participants, which beyond potentially divisive political choices makes me hope for less of the "controversial" Real Housewife-esque contestants as well.

Tom DeLay too.

Is Storage Wars still on? I thought Barry left the show several years ago. He'd be a hoot, but unless he has some stamina and a little talent, I think he has the charm, he could do like Tommy Chong. I like Simone Biles, I'm not too crazy about Nancy Kerrigan, but I think she could be charming and could give Simone a little competition. I did see that Mr. T has agreed to do the show, he's ok, could be fun. I don't like the HGTV twins with the teeth and that's all I see when I look at them, watched part of one marathon several years ago, just couldn't with them. He could be on and leave early as far as I'm concerned. I've never watched Pretty Little Liars, wrong demographic, same with Fifth Harmony, I'm assuming that's a band or a group of singers, right? Don't follow baseball, but it might be nice to see a baseball player instead of football and if he's retired, he'd have time, baseball has an awfully long season. Ricky Schroeder seems like a nice young man, I hated his time on NYPD Blue, but I don't think it was necessarily his fault. All the rest mentioned, Disney stars, youtubers, I'm just not in that demographic to know or care.

I haven't heard of any of these rumored people except Simone Biles. I like her, but not enough to watch the show if she is the only one on. That last season bored me from the get go and I didn't watch much because it was obvious Laurie was going to win. I think they need to go after a fairly big star if they really want to renew interest in the show. I've heard rumors about Usher. They should do whatever it takes to get him or someone like him.

1 minute ago, boyznkatz said:

I haven't heard of any of these rumored people except Simone Biles. I like her, but not enough to watch the show if she is the only one on. That last season bored me from the get go and I didn't watch much because it was obvious Laurie was going to win. I think they need to go after a fairly big star if they really want to renew interest in the show. I've heard rumors about Usher. They should do whatever it takes to get him or someone like him.

If you're worried about it being too obvious who will win, Usher really isn't the way to go. Besides being so incredibly famous and having a fanbase much larger than any other competitor, Usher would be the best dancer to compete on this show.

I think the mix they've got this year sounds promising. Simone and Nancy should be interesting and dueling Olympians might cancel each other out in terms of who the favourite would be. And I don't think Simone is as naturally graceful as Laurie is so her dancing might not be as strong. Plus, I like the Fifth Harmony girls now that the racist one left the group so whoever we're getting from there should be fun. Mr. T is a fun throwback. I don't care about the Bachelor but I've long accepted this cross-promotion is going to happen every year. Sounds good if the partnerships are right.

Tony just posted on his Instagram that he won't be returning as a pro.

So if my shaky math doesn't fail me.....a returning Mark could simply replace Derek this season and the other five male pros from last season (Maks, Val, Gleb, Sasha, and Artem) could basically stay the same. Any other additions (a Keo or an Alan possibly) would require a subtraction from that group of five (or Mark choosing not to return)....unless we have a cast of 13 w/ 7 female Celebs.

10 minutes ago, Princess Sparkle said:

E is reporting that Erika Girardi (from the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills) will be a contestant this season: http://m.eonline.com/news/831624/real-housewives-of-beverly-hills-star-erika-girardi-joins-dancing-with-the-stars-season-24-cast

I hope this is true because I enjoy her.

I'm liking a lot of these rumored cast members tbh. Kinda excited for this season.

When is the official announcement?

Chris Kattan of old SNL fame (have no idea what he's been up to recently), Normani Kordei (Ringer, Ringer, Chicken Dinner lol), and this Real Housewife person are all supposedly confirmed. I'll root for this Erika person to go out first purely on principle...

2 hours ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

Tony just posted on his Instagram that he won't be returning as a pro.

So if my shaky math doesn't fail me.....a returning Mark could simply replace Derek this season and the other five male pros from last season (Maks, Val, Gleb, Sasha, and Artem) could basically stay the same. Any other additions (a Keo or an Alan possibly) would require a subtraction from that group of five (or Mark choosing not to return)....unless we have a cast of 13 w/ 7 female Celebs.

Keo has been doing some vague Instagramming (vaguestagramming?) of excitement in the last day or so, which could point to his return. An excited face selfie with "you don't even know!!") as the caption. Mark has also popped up with some vague Twittering, though his excitement could always point to another project, I suppose.

From my perspective, I don't really see the point of both an Artem and a Gleb, they seem to be competing for the same spot (stoic sexy Russians) and haven't done too much to distinguish themselves. I've been hard on Keo in the past but find myself not too upset if he gets another shot.

I didn't miss Keo, so I wouldn't be sad if he didn't come back. I also mostly didn't miss Mark, so he can either come back or sit another one out, it really doesn't matter. Gleb still skeeves me out, so I also wouldn't be sad if they passed him over for this season. 

I'm mostly annoyed with Simone Biles. Nothing against her, but I was tired of Laurie before she danced her second dance. I don't want Laurie 2.0 with Simone, and I'm afraid that's what's going to happen. 

Please let my dream of a Property Brother come true. That's the rumor that's got me most excited for the new season. That, and hopefully Artem doesn't get stuck with old lady duty again.

• Love 4

If Mark does come back, it's hard for me to see path back for Keo unless we get that 13th female celeb.

Simone's size basically is screaming out for a Sasha pairing which probably keeps him in the game. I could do without him, but supposedly Gleb is already confirmed back. We know Val and Maks are back (well we know Maks is back and we're 99.9% that Val will be back). I mean maybe he could take Artem's spot but Artem seems penciled in as Tony's heir apparent as the go to pro for the oldest female celeb.

52 minutes ago, Michel said:

After reading this, I hope more than ever that he does.

Any particular reason? IMO, even with a capable partner his choreography was underwhelming and his teaching was lackluster.

If given the choice, though, I'd pick Keo over Gleb. I'm still confused as to why they neigh Gleb back and billed it as some super exciting return.

• Love 4

So....on the female pro side maybe Jenna and Allison are out (in Jenna's case she might be in the troupe), and Kym Johnston is back in? That seems to be the latest twitter buzz...

I'm trying to game this out for a normal 12 person cast w/ six female pros. So Peta is in for sure. Kym would be two. Sharna would be three, hard to believe Lindsay and Witney wouldn't be 4 and 5. That potentially leaves it down to either Cheryl/Karina/Emma for that final spot....

Where's the buzz that Allison's out? I've just seen that Jenna is, but I wouldn't mind if Allison is out. Never enjoyed her choreo and all her partners seemed to struggle except for Riker but he was a massive ringer.

17 minutes ago, PBGamer89 said:

Where's the buzz that Allison's out? I've just seen that Jenna is, but I wouldn't mind if Allison is out. Never enjoyed her choreo and all her partners seemed to struggle except for Riker but he was a massive ringer.

DWTS Gossip tweeted that Allison is out.

5 hours ago, McManda said:

I'm mostly annoyed with Simone Biles. Nothing against her, but I was tired of Laurie before she danced her second dance. I don't want Laurie 2.0 with Simone, and I'm afraid that's what's going to happen. 

Ditto. I started out liking Laurie but became tired of her after a couple of weeks.  I assume Simone will be the same.  Having gymnasts two seasons in a row is too much.

Please let my dream of a Property Brother come true. That's the rumor that's got me most excited for the new season.

I would like that, too, and I can't even say why.  Just thinking about it makes me smile. 

• Love 5

I think two gymnasts in a row is hardly anything compared to how many footballers have we had now like 18, including 3 in one season.

They wanted a gymnast right from the Olympics and Simone couldn't commit yet, so they got Laurie, but how do you turn down the most gold medal awarded gymnast in all time when she wants to do it. It'd be stupid to be like "no we don't want you", honestly.

I'm ok with it if they let Sasha have her, that way it's with a pro who's not won or even made the finals.

Edited by PBGamer89
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, McManda said:

If given the choice, though, I'd pick Keo over Gleb. I'm still confused as to why they neigh Gleb back and billed it as some super exciting return.

Perhaps Keo's time in the troupe helped him? I always thought that they should have started him there in the first place. If he's back I'd be okay with that, he seems nice enough and why not give him another chance. Gleb's return was probably seen as a big deal because he did so well on the Russian version in particular. And his dances with Adelina Sotnikova were enjoyable, way better than anything he ever did with Jana, but as a figure skater she was also a ringer in a way Jana wasn't. I don't know how that kind of thing translates from version to version and partner to partner, I found him pretty unconvincing with Jana tbh. She was a good dancer and he stuck her with loads of WTH dances that didn't do much for her and where she was buried by half-baked concepts IMO.

Simone Biles is cool, though she might get a bit of gymnast fatigue from the audience. But they'll probably have her with Sasha and as a dancer and personality she seems to be different from Laurie, so if the whole vibe of the partnership is sufficiently removed from Laurie's experience she might be all right. Though I fear some form of backlash is coming. The bashing for Laurie was already pretty bad, it might be worse here.

10 hours ago, McManda said:

Any particular reason? IMO, even with a capable partner his choreography was underwhelming and his teaching was lackluster.

I just generally like the guy.  If anything, he's the only one of the male pros from I don't sense any ego.  Or at least very little of it.  And I absolutely despised the bile and venom thrown at him from all over the press throughout season twenty-two to the point where he was clearly beaten down by it.  I just want to see him sure he's just as much deserving of being a problem as the others are.

Hopefully, his time back in the troupe last season helped to refresh him.  If he is indeed back, of course.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, McManda said:

This. I got tired of Laurie before the show even started tbh and I actually really liked Laurie during the olympics. I haven't ever been able to really warm to Simone, so this season is going to be hard. But I am kinda happy that she'll likely get Sasha because I like him and I'd love to see him win.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

So....on the female pro side maybe Jenna and Allison are out (in Jenna's case she might be in the troupe), and Kym Johnston is back in? That seems to be the latest twitter buzz...

I'm trying to game this out for a normal 12 person cast w/ six female pros. So Peta is in for sure. Kym would be two. Sharna would be three, hard to believe Lindsay and Witney wouldn't be 4 and 5. That potentially leaves it down to either Cheryl/Karina/Emma for that final spot....

Kym?  I thought she said she was hanging up her dancing shoes for good after she married Robert Herjavec.

Edited by legaleagle53

IMO the thing is with Keo, he's had oodles of time to learn the ropes.  All his early eliminations - he should have spent that time observing and helping out the competing pros through each season, picking their brains, learning all he could from them.  I don't know if he did or didn't. I don't know what he was doing during that time. I don't recall any pro dances that he choreographed.  He seems like a very nice guy and, as someone above said, not strongly ego driven.  But competing pro just might not be on his list of strengths.

As for Gleb, I think he was brought back for some sex appeal.  Derek was promoted as such (opinions vary of course) but he kept saying he might not be back. At some point TPTB have to take him at his word and plan for the show's future.  I think they were shooting for a Derek vs Val "competition" (who's more attractive to the viewers).  Now it'll be Gleb vs Val.  Some credit his success on other versions of DWTS, but of course most of us haven't seen him in those shows.  Our only memory of him was partnering with Lisa V (with the little dog).

Now if rumors are true about Shemar Moore (actor from Criminal Minds), the whole "who's sexier competition" is over! LOL! Keep your shirts on Gleb + Val, you'll be left in the dust.  This is the clue leading to the rumor:  

Notice that he says the secret will be out Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday - the cast reveal is supposed to be on Wednesday.  

• Love 3

I have to say, I love the way he told his fans what the secret WASN'T. "I'm not getting married.  I'm not having a baby.  I'm not in love.  I'm not coming out of the closet.  I'm not gay -- I love me every inch of a woman.  I'm not getting my ding-a-ling cut off!"  LOL

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 2

Is Drew the one that just got married?

And Shemar Moore is on the running for a celeb contestant now, too? I'd get on board with that.

My confusion about Gleb - they already have tall, dark, and eastern European. If they don't have Maks, they have Val. And Artem. And Tony. And Alan, if they wanted him and wanted him to play that part. Why bring back Gleb, who people don't really remember from his lackluster original season and who projects a general aura of douchiness? No one was really sitting around thinking, "you know who I really miss? They should bring back Gleb!" He didn't impress me in his second go-around, so I would mind him missing this season.

No Alison? Not that I really mind, but I kind of wonder why she got passed over this season.

• Love 1

Ashley Benson of PLL confirmed she's a no go for this season on her social media.

So either that PLL speculation is a total bust or maybe Lucy Hale, Shay Mitchell, or Troian Bellasario might be in play. Shay Mitchell was pretty heavily talked about as a possible partner for Val a couple seasons ago....maybe she figured out a way to work DWTS into her schedule this time around...

2 hours ago, SnarkyTart said:

Don't know if this was a clue, but Drew Scott posted this as his facebook profile pic on Nov 29, 2016

First, November of 2016 would be a little early for a clue as to whether he'd be on the spring season; I don't think casting even began in earnest until January.  Second, even if it's true, I HOPE his pro isn't going to dress him in something like that for any Latin number!

• Love 1

Had a feeling about Keo. His Instagramming was way too excited for him to be back in the troupe. Artem hasn't left too much of an impression on me one way or another, so I wouldn't be too sad if he were out. I could also see Mark sitting this one out to pursue more music, and trolling the Twitter fans with his random posts. We shall see.

This Shemar sure is bootiful, but if DWTS is his "big, groundbreaking, life changing, you'll see it everywhere" news, he's got real high hopes for what this show does for your career. Don't get me wrong, no shame in it, I just don't know that it catapults you to the heights he seems to be implying. I'm supportive of this if it happens though. (I mean, bootiful.)

The Property Brothers always remind me of androids their programmers got about 95% of the way up to human speed, but just that liiiitle bit off on full human interaction skills. Or aliens that are trying their hardest to assimilate, but just can't quite grasp the full nuances. Man that video is awkward. I hope he's on for some awkward, awkward lolz.

Edited by kitcloudkicker
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

Ashley Benson of PLL confirmed she's a no go for this season on her social media.

So either that PLL speculation is a total bust or maybe Lucy Hale, Shay Mitchell, or Troian Bellasario might be in play. Shay Mitchell was pretty heavily talked about as a possible partner for Val a couple seasons ago....maybe she figured out a way to work DWTS into her schedule this time around...

The whole Ashley rumor seemed to have started mid-January when she + Mark both snapchatted about being sore after a dance rehearsal/training session.   All the PLL fans suddenly started tweeting about her being on DWTS and would Mark be her partner.  LOL! The simple fact that they both openly snapchatted about it told me that the dancing practice was about something else, not DWTS.  Mark knows better than to reveal before tptb want to, even if Ashley didn't.  

OTOH, the fan who tweeted Ashley said "Can you tell us if your participation at DWTS is true or not?" and Ashley's response was "nope!"   (link:  https://twitter.com/AshBenzo/status/835592620952936448 ) Is that nope to *participating* or to *can you tell us*.  ha!  Anyway, I suspect PHD-Purgatory's translation is likely correct, she's a no-go.

4 hours ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

Michel, I think you might be getting your wish. PURE and DWTSGossip are reporting that Keo is in as a pro this season.

Obviously that puts the spotlight squarely on Artem (or still maybe Mark) as the odd male pro out this season.

oh no-no-no-no... if Artem is out, I'm out

I'd easily take Artem over Keo and Gleb, so I'll be pretty bummed too if he has to sit this season out. I'm really watching Mark though (especially now that the Ashley Benson speculation has hit a roadblock)....I feel like the longer it drags without any positive confirmation, it might actually be him who ends up sitting out another season. Which will also make me sad.

Also Lindsay let a small spoiler out of the bag. The troupe will have at least one new member. Brandon Armstrong, who once upon a time all the way back in Season 6 competed in (maybe even won, not sure) an in-season competition for juniors that DWTS had.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

Also Lindsay let a small spoiler out of the bag. The troupe will have at least one new member. Brandon Armstrong, who once upon a time all the way back in Season 6 competed in (maybe even won, not sure) an in-season competition for juniors that DWTS had.

And wasn't Brittney (Cherry) his partner for the juniors competition? I seem to remember Tom joking about seeing them on season 30 of the show. Seems like he was a little off.

If no Artem, I'll also be sad. Plus, who are they going to put on old lady duty? 

Also, whatever happened to Shannon? I know he wasn't ballroom trained so I don't really think he'd necessarily fit well as a pro, but I liked watching him dance.

• Love 1

If there's a property brother, I want it to be Jonathan not Drew.  Although he always strikes me as having more ego than Drew, so that could be a drawback.

I just can't stand Keo's dancing.  He duckwalks and it shows in his lines.  I also think he hasn't learned very quickly about how to be a public figure -- dunno whether he's up against something awful like racist attitudes that make it hard, or whether he just "doesn't get it", but he seems super stressed a lot of the time and lost.

So glad for Allison's season off.  

• Love 1

What do we think of this rumor? Courtney from Pure is claiming there might be a "star" who was once a contestant on So You Think You Can Dance, claiming them as the biggest ringer there's ever been. Not necessarily best known for SYTYCD but had appeared.

The only person I can think of that might match this description would be Heather Morris of Glee, who was cut in the Vegas rounds of, I think, season 2. I can't think of anyone else who has an association with that show that could claim any sort of career outside of "professional dancer."

Maybe, maaaaybe you could call someone like Domenic Sandoval a YouTuber, but dude also just won a dance Emmy last year. So I don't think so. (Fun fact about Dom, he seems to be currently dating former DWTS contenstant Bethany Mota.)

Any other obscure SYTYCD contestants who have gotten themselves any sort of noteworthy recognition as an actor, singer or social media star?

12 hours ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

1 hour ago, kitcloudkicker said:

What do we think of this rumor? Courtney from Pure is claiming there might be a "star" who was once a contestant on So You Think You Can Dance, claiming them as the biggest ringer there's ever been. Not necessarily best known for SYTYCD but had appeared.

The only person I can think of that might match this description would be Heather Morris of Glee, who was cut in the Vegas rounds of, I think, season 2. I can't think of anyone else who has an association with that show that could claim any sort of career outside of "professional dancer."

Maybe, maaaaybe you could call someone like Domenic Sandoval a YouTuber, but dude also just won a dance Emmy last year. So I don't think so. (Fun fact about Dom, he seems to be currently dating former DWTS contenstant Bethany Mota.)

Any other obscure SYTYCD contestants who have gotten themselves any sort of noteworthy recognition as an actor, singer or social media star?

I thought of Courtney's rumor when I read PHD-Purgatory's post.   Could it be Courtney is a little off and the SYTYCD contestant will be a trouper, not a star?  

I hope it's not another Glee actor-the last one left a really bad impression for me.  IMO Amber was in no physical shape to compete, nevermind win, her knees wouldn't withstand rehearsals, she couldn't move her lower half much, she'd attend some rehearsals to just sit and watch, etc.  But since she was getting alot of media attention and apparently votes from Gleeks (not to mention her co-stars, celeb friends posting her voting number saying stuff like 1D's home phone or Biebs is taking fan calls), TPTB/judges just put their finger on the scale, ignored all her problems and surprise, surprise, she "won".   I don't know if Glee is still being aired on cable channels, but I'd imagine the fans are still around.