Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E16: Unnecessary Roughness

Riggs and Murtaugh are drawn into the world of college recruiting while investigating a murder involving a high-school football phenom. In other events, Murtaugh contemplates a major change; and Riggs spends more time with DEA Agent Karen Palmer.

Covered in beer and hasn't had a sip.  Riggs has had nightmares that went like this.

Riggs and Palmer are a fun pair. I wouldn't mind more time with them.  She is a good influence on Riggs.

The episode itself was ok.  Mostly enjoyed the Riggs/Murtaugh banter.  Yes they always fight like that.  And Yeah Murtaugh will probably be the old guy at a desk refusing retirement.    But hey, at least this time they didn't get sued and all the destroyed was college football.  Baby steps.  

It always seems so awkward when they're trying to remind us that a character is there, but there actor/actress isn't really there.  We start with Palmer's card and a note, Riggs gets a voicemail from her, and at the end we hear her voice again, but Hilarie Burton is nowhere to be seen.  They couldn't get her for the episode, but they could get her voice?

8 hours ago, Orbert said:

It always seems so awkward when they're trying to remind us that a character is there, but there actor/actress isn't really there.  We start with Palmer's card and a note, Riggs gets a voicemail from her, and at the end we hear her voice again, but Hilarie Burton is nowhere to be seen.  They couldn't get her for the episode, but they could get her voice?

I hope that's not how it's going to go for the rest of the season.  Having said that, I thought the character worked out of D C. That would make her absence more believable.

TPTB seem to enjoy, or think we do, having Riggs show up at someone's dinner and acting like a fool. I am no saint, but what Riggs did last night by interrupting Roger's meal (yes, Riggs didn't know Roger was going to be there) was wrong AND juvenile. 

And that, I think, will be a continuing problem in the portrayal of Riggs. How do you show someone on the edge, a little nervy, a little maybe crazy, WITHOUT making them look juvenile?

3 minutes ago, JackONeill said:

I hope that's not how it's going to go for the rest of the season.  Having said that, I thought the character worked out of D C. That would make her absence more believable.

TPTB seem to enjoy, or think we do, having Riggs show up at someone's dinner and acting like a fool. I am no saint, but what Riggs did last night by interrupting Roger's meal (yes, Riggs didn't know Roger was going to be there) was wrong AND juvenile. 

And that, I think, will be a continuing problem in the portrayal of Riggs. How do you show someone on the edge, a little nervy, a little maybe crazy, WITHOUT making them look juvenile?

I think this was Riggs being juvenile.  He wasn't really being crazy.  He actually was making strides forward in weird ways.  Yes he actively got a boxer to hit him but most of what he did were juvenile antics because he was unsure of sleeping with Palmer was a good thing or not.  

Plus all the feelings of abandonment that would pop up with Murtaugh maybe leaving.  

5 hours ago, Rascotes said:

When you disrespect the band, you disrespect yourself.

I need this on a t-shirt. Somehow the captain has become my favorite character on a show full of characters I really enjoy. He truly delights me. 

I loved the interaction between Riggs and Maureen at the end - she knew he needed to hear it, but she didn't say it in a condescending or saccharine way. I like seeing how their relationship has evolved, and I truly hope they don't start some stupid love triangle because Riggs needs the doc, too, no matter what happens with Palmer. 

7 minutes ago, ddiced35 said:

I need this on a t-shirt. Somehow the captain has become my favorite character on a show full of characters I really enjoy. He truly delights me. 

I totally agree. At the beginning, I was fearful the captain was going to be the expected tight-ass of the group. Instead, he's become almost cool. (I say "almost" because he is still the captain.)

But you do hit on something: There are too many characters. Maybe shows do this nowadays because TPTB don't know which of the secondary characters will click, do they load up the plate with them. But, regardless, that means there are fewer lines for the leads.

The other issue as far as who gets what to say is Murtaugh's homelife. Although I find nothing objectionable about it, the cutting back and forth between the primary story and the home story is...well, distracting.

Maybe now that the show's been renewed, TPTB will alternate stories. One night it will focus on Riggs and Murtaugh detecting, then the next on some family issue, and in those episodes the Riggs/detecting part will be in the background.

Now, it just seems they're trying to cram in too much with too many people. 

1 minute ago, paigow said:

Surprised ex-cop buddy was not involved...since he was so dirty on NYPD Blue .... I always expect him to be bad

OH! I forgot to mention this - was I the only one thinking the cop buddy was retiring because he'd shot the cousin and that was his reward/payoff from the Coastal State dean? 

I don't think there are too many characters since I enjoy all of them.  I agree the Captain and his unabashed nerdiness is a favorite of mine.  My only worry is that the secondary characters will get tired of being secondary and leave.  I don't know how contracts in Hollywood work so maybe that is not an issue for me.

Yes, Trish, please find Riggs a dentist!  Because that really bothered me as someone who has teeth issues; I just want that tooth back in his head.

I don't watch for the mystery but for the relationships so I don't judge an episode based on that.  I liked this episode.  And I especially liked Murtagh mentoring Jesse and advising him that his life could be more than football.

2 hours ago, JackONeill said:

Yeah, I heard that too. I hope that means Palmer isn't going to be around permanently. I'm not a fan of the actress. She ruined White Collar for me. And I still think it's too soon for Riggs to be a relationship. He's smashing his head against mirrors.  He took a step forward but he's not ready.

56 minutes ago, paigow said:

Surprised ex-cop buddy was not involved...since he was so dirty on NYPD Blue .... I always expect him to be bad

I was full on expecting ex-cop to be in on it but I'm glad for Murtaugh's sake he wasn't.

Speaking of loading shows with secondary characters...whatever happened to the tatted up, former gangster-turned-cop, what's-his-name?

I like the snippets we get of life in the Murtaugh family home. Riana's quips about the decline in family income were great. Plus, Riggs needs Team Murtaugh. Also, I want Trish's cheekbones.

Two I need is for Riggs to stop leaping at people without having any idea where he's about to land. At least let me know he knows he will be okay.

Also, I hope by end of season we can end this phase where Murtaugh spends whole episodes aggravated by Riggs presence. Just let them be partners that bicker. I don't need Roger needing a out every other episode.

I didn't think it was one of the better episodes.  It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't very interesting or compelling to me.

I really want Riggs to get a makeover. A decent haircut and shaving that terrible mustache, and he would be quite the looker. 

4 hours ago, Commando Cody said:

I still can't stand that lady psychiatrist. The episodes are always better when she's not in them. 

I hope when things don't work out with Palmer, Riggs doesn't get involved with her. 

I'm the opposite I think there is way more chemistry between Riggs and Cahill and I see no spark whatsoever between Riggs and Palmer ! I FF the Riggs and Pakmer scenes because I just get bored with their scenes so just don't watch them anymore and only watch his scenes with other people ! 

I would prefer that they wait a while with Riggs.  Then maybe bring in someone else - if they really feel they have to push him that way. I don't think he should be involved with anyone. At least, not right now. I think they rushed it with Palmer. 

2 hours ago, CountryCrazy said:

I'm the opposite I think there is way more chemistry between Riggs and Cahill and I see no spark whatsoever between Riggs and Palmer ! I FF the Riggs and Pakmer scenes because I just get bored with their scenes so just don't watch them anymore and only watch his scenes with other people ! 

I think Maureen is end game. That will mean there has to be a lot of space between Riggs recovering and the end of therapy and a relationship. So I would imagine Palmer and maybe one more will be the rebound ship. 

12 hours ago, paigow said:

Murtaugh & Riggs are underpaid, but is the dental coverage that bad?? 

I would have thought that he is young enough and would still be benefiting from the work the Navy would have made him get before joining the police . Can't have a SEAL going on sick call when its time to go on a mission because of a toothache.  Now he can  refuse to go no matter how good either department's dental plans are. But then this show ain't real.

Edited by Raja
On 2/24/2017 at 4:02 AM, cincivic said:

Sorry if this has been covered in other threads, but why does Roger wear a hat sometimes? There was no need for it when they went to the college the first time.

The bald men I know do often wear hats to keep their heads warm even when it's not particularly cold.  

That kind of dark knit beanie is, where I live, something Black men commonly wear so I could handwave it as being in character for Murtaugh wanting to stay connected to his roots or youth or something. I don't recall hearing an on-screen explanation -- who knows if his character bible has this built in or if it's just a prop that a costumer or director liked. 

Riggs' hair and scruff is surely character-driven, though. It's a visual signal about how messed up he is and we'll know when he's doing better when he's less unkempt. Sometimes I find his hair silly and even ugly, but there are times I actually think it really works for him! A cleaner version of his shaggy curls would be sexy IMO.

Can anyone tell me if this episode improves on the quality of the Riggs/Palmer thing? I am just really not impressed with Palmer, and I feel no chemistry at all between her and Riggs. Every time one of the characters mentions their "obvious chemistry" I feel a big disconnect from the show. It's made me really unenthused about watching the last episode. It's just been sitting in my DVR.

On 3/4/2017 at 1:39 AM, Wryly said:

Can anyone tell me if this episode improves on the quality of the Riggs/Palmer thing? I am just really not impressed with Palmer, and I feel no chemistry at all between her and Riggs.

I thought they had great chemistry the first time she was on the show.  This time felt way too forced.  Hoping the writers figure out what they want to do with Riggs.

On 2/23/2017 at 10:39 AM, gibasi said:

I don't think there are too many characters since I enjoy all of them.  I agree the Captain and his unabashed nerdiness is a favorite of mine.  My only worry is that the secondary characters will get tired of being secondary and leave.  I don't know how contracts in Hollywood work so maybe that is not an issue for me.

As long as the actors are listed as part of the main cast (which the Captain, the ME, Bailey, Cahill, and Murtaugh's kids all are... I don't think the Hispanic cop is, but I could be wrong), they are under contract (I believe a standard network TV contract in seven years) and can't leave without being released by the show. I do wonder if some of the contracts only allowed them to be in a certain number of episodes to save on costs (which tends to be more of a cable-network way to do things... Justified comes to mind as frequently missing key characters in certain episodes. Obviously there have been episodes where characters' absences make sense plot-wise or aren't noticeable, but as some have noted the exclusion of one or the other Murtaugh kid in certain episodes feels off.)

On 2/25/2017 at 1:08 PM, snarktini said:

Riggs' hair and scruff is surely character-driven, though. It's a visual signal about how messed up he is and we'll know when he's doing better when he's less unkempt. Sometimes I find his hair silly and even ugly, but there are times I actually think it really works for him! A cleaner version of his shaggy curls would be sexy IMO.

This. I think the hair works perfectly for the character, and maybe we'll get a bit of a haircut down the road when Riggs is in a better place mentally. Clayne Crawford was HOT in Rectify, which he filmed directly before this.

I do wonder about the mustache, though. It's ugly, but it seems well-trimmed/ sculpted/ whatever the mustache terminology is. I'd think a full grown beard or some perma-stubble would work better with the hair. (Although... did he have the mustache in flashbacks? Maybe Miranda liked it and he keeps it/ keeps it nice for her? If he grew it after her death, then yeah, I've got nothing...)

On 3/14/2017 at 9:48 AM, dargosmydaddy said:

As long as the actors are listed as part of the main cast (which the Captain, the ME, Bailey, Cahill, and Murtaugh's kids all are... I don't think the Hispanic cop is, but I could be wrong), they are under contract (I believe a standard network TV contract in seven years) and can't leave without being released by the show. I do wonder if some of the contracts only allowed them to be in a certain number of episodes to save on costs (which tends to be more of a cable-network way to do things... Justified comes to mind as frequently missing key characters in certain episodes. Obviously there have been episodes where characters' absences make sense plot-wise or aren't noticeable, but as some have noted the exclusion of one or the other Murtaugh kid in certain episodes feels off.)

I haven't seen Richard Cabral for a few episodes but then he turned up in American Crime as a farm laborer recruiter.

Edited by Raja