Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E15: Sex Ed

You can plea bargain for a lighter sentence in a criminal case (agreeing to a lesser charge rather than maintaining your innocence and trying to be declared innocent at trial), and you can offer a cash payment to resolve a civil case. I don't think you can offer cash to avoid prison. At least, not legally.

I think what they're getting at is that if they can preemptively settle the (inevitable?) civil case, then the people involved (Troy, the other accident victims) will refuse to "press charges" in the criminal case.  Never mind the fact that the prosecutor more or less always has the discretion to bring charges anyway, but without the cooperation of the victims, it makes it more difficult.  Of course, in Callie's case, we're supposed to believe that the entire criminal justice system is out to get her, so this was kind of a dumb plan all the way through.  She would have in fact been better off taking the juvie plea.  

I just watched this episode.

But this whole notion of a settlement implies civil court, not criminal court, right? So jail shouldn't be on the table at all. You can plea bargain for a lighter sentence in a criminal case (agreeing to a lesser charge rather than maintaining your innocence and trying to be declared innocent at trial), and you can offer a cash payment to resolve a civil case. I don't think you can offer cash to avoid prison. At least, not legally.

This. Such a ridiculous plot, with a completely false premise. 

And now to my usual peeve in every single show that decides to talk about autism:

Autistic kids don't need to "connect with their feelings". Autistics have difficulties expressing feelings, and processing them, which can cause shutdown and/or anxiety, possible meltdowns. The writers probably decided that throwing autism out there would be fine as long as they read some outdated DMS. Who do they talk to? How do they research? I know it was just a minor part of a silly plot but FFS, it is Parenthood all over again.

On 3/6/2017 at 0:06 PM, JaggedLilPill said:

Bradley and Peter defend their choices by claiming it's a drama. Yes, we get that. It was also a drama in the first half of season one and they managed to balance the moms' relationship along with the mayhem the kids got into.

Yup.

Edited by alexvillage
  • Love 2