Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
AmandaPanda

Rachel Maddow: Our Favorite Rhodes Scholar

4 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

There's a Biography  of Rachel coming out next year. 

From what I have read of this, it is information complied from available sources, not a book prepared in collaboration with Rachel.  I have not yet read anything from it I did not already know.  Looking forward to hearing more.  

• Like 1

Ouch.  WaPo media critic blasts Rachel for her coverage of the Steele dossier.

The case for Maddow is that her dossier coverage stemmed from public documents, congressional proceedings and published reports from outlets with solid investigative histories. She included warnings about the unverified assertions and didn’t use the dossier as a source for wild claims. There is something fishy, furthermore, about that Mueller footnote regarding the “tapes.” In their recent book on the dossier, “Crime in Progress,” the Fusion GPS co-founders wrote that Steele believes the document is 70-percent accurate.

The case against Maddow is far stronger. When small bits of news arose in favor of the dossier, the franchise MSNBC host pumped air into them. At least some of her many fans surely came away from her broadcasts thinking the dossier was a serious piece of investigative research, not the flimflam, quick-twitch game of telephone outlined in the Horowitz report. She seemed to be rooting for the document.

• Like 1

Rachel was on Late Night with Seth Meyers last night. 

In answer to a question that has gone around these boards before, Rachel’s parents do watch the show every night and she hears it from her mom if she even gets close to saying a swear word.

video 1: fishing and Iran

video 2: her book Blowout and parents

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

Rachel’s audiobook of Blowout was a clue on the Jeopardy GOAT tournament last night.

Was it? Did they get the answer?

They were asking for her name after playing a clip from the audiobook (it was an audible(TM) category). The contestant struggled for a few seconds before saying her name in a questioning tone (hiding which contestant, since spoilers if you’re saving the eps to binge watch).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

They were asking for her name after playing a clip from the audiobook (it was an audible(TM) category). The contestant struggled for a few seconds before saying her name in a questioning tone (hiding which contestant, since spoilers if you’re saving the eps to binge watch).

Thank you for not spoiling.  We just watched the second match.  And yes, he didn't sound confident at all.  

FX showed Rachel’s Simpsons episode last night - it was nice hearing her speak with a much happier tone of voice. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Rachel is selling her NY Apartment

I know some people just love that white-on-white look, but man, that place looks sterile and cold to me.  Maybe it looked warmer with her stuff in there instead of staged furnishings.  But it's definitely not the comforting refuge I would want after a long day at work.

It doesn't seem she was exposed to someone in the studio, since Nicolle, Joy, Brian etc. are not going into quarantine.

As Michael Beschloss would say, be well, Rachel!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

She was talking with LOD on air tonight, from home. Maybe they can give her a remote feed because I'll sure miss her a lot. But then again maybe she could use the time off, as well. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, possibilities said:

She was talking with LOD on air tonight, from home. Maybe they can give her a remote feed because I'll sure miss her a lot. But then again maybe she could use the time off, as well. 

I have to think that after diligently reporting for the last 4 years, the last place she wants to be right now is off the air.

• Like 3

Rachel was interviewed by Jon Lovett on today’s Pod Save America about the book. He was a huge fan of the Bagman podcast, so it was great!

• Like 1

Has anyone else read Bagman? I was able to get it from the library yesterday and I'm almost through it. It is quite a fun read as well showing the interesting parallels. 

• Useful 1

4 hours ago, MMEButterfly said:

Has anyone else read Bagman? I was able to get it from the library yesterday and I'm almost through it. It is quite a fun read as well showing the interesting parallels. 

Our library has one e-book copy and 183 people on the waiting list...

• Like 1

Mr. ebk has the book.  I may read it after he's finished.  I looooved the podcast and will be listening again soon.  I live in Maryland and am old enough to remember Agnew, but I never realized how much was going on there.  Yikes. 

It's a great listen.

WaPo review of Rachel's book

It's a bit of a mixed review.  They like some aspects and not others.

At times, though, the Agnew-as-Trump analogy is overwrought. The authors give Agnew too much credit for innovating a brand of politics that owed as much, if not more, to the era’s grass-roots conservative mobilization, the growing influence of far-right media, and leaders even more influential than Agnew such as Joe McCarthy, Roy Cohn, George Wallace, Phyllis Schlafly and Newt Gingrich...

Some of the writing tends toward the glib.....

Nonetheless, this fast-paced and well-researched book underscores how the nation’s legal and political systems struggle to hold the most powerful elected leaders responsible for their crimes.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

On Thursday's show, Rachel said she'd see us all "tomorrow" and then on Friday's show, Ali was hosting. I'm just wondering if that's happened before-- that she's acted like she'd be there, when she had scheduled time off, or if it might be an indication that something else has gone awry. These days, every unplanned absence gives me shudders, lest it be medical, not just a vacation day.

• Like 1

I love her sarcastic, dry sense of humor, plus her glasses and smile!! It's always a pleasure to watch Rachel.

• Like 7

Rachel was on the Ellen Degeneres show yesterday & it was a fun & interesting conversation, I like to see Rachel when she is more relaxed.  Ellen asked about Susan & Rachel said Susan is still suffering effects from her Covid.  Then Ellen congratulated her for being nominated for a Grammy...she is up against Meryl Streep so Rachel laughed & said she did not expect to win(I guess its for the Audible of her book).  She did the interview from her home with the barn doors behind her.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

Rachel just posted on Twitter that she won the Grammy for Best Spoken Word for her book "Blow Out"...she is very excited 🙂

• Like 9